PDA

View Full Version : Which TWO moments in Hibs history...

G B Young
28-01-2021, 10:32 PM
...would you travel back in time to be at?

1) A game/moment you were present to witness but would love to live through again.

2) A game/moment that took place before you were born or were too young to attend.

It's tempting to say the 2016 cup win for the first one but it's still so fresh in my memory that I think I'd have to opt for 6-2, while for the second one I'd be very tempted to go for 7-0 or one of the great 60s/70s European nights - but overall I think it would have to be seeing the league flag being raised at ER in the late 40s/early 50s (something my dad was privileged enough to see, so I guess I might spot his much younger self there!).

Broken Gnome
28-01-2021, 10:38 PM
Millennium Derby, by some distance, if excluding the cup finals.

I'd probably take a more recent one than the Famous Five or Tornadoes era, as despite the size of crowds things looked a bit more sedate than they were from the 80s onwards (could be wrong, but that's what it looks like on telly).

The Souness game maybe, 1991 Skol Cup or 6-2 having spent all my pennies on the Rangers win the week before.

Jones28
28-01-2021, 10:42 PM
I’d have loved to have been at the Skol Cup final.

I put one :doh:

Do hands off Hibs Rallys count?

Smartie
28-01-2021, 10:47 PM
I loved the penalties against Rangers in the League cup semi.

Young Hibs team. Very expensively assembled Rangers team. Big Rangers support, small(ish) Hibs support but it was the core support we draw on for games like that.

Right up against it but earned a place in a cup final.

Brilliant night.

Before my time - I'd have loved to have been at Easter Road the day Hearts chucked the league at Dens. Would have been hilarious.

I like the smaller "were you there when..." sorts of occasions.

More intimate.

Jonnyboy
28-01-2021, 10:53 PM
Tynie for 0-7 and ER for Hibs 5 Napoli 0

NAE NOOKIE
28-01-2021, 10:55 PM
For me the semi at Hampden when we won on penalties, what a night that was, the loudest and most enthusiastic 7000 Hibs support I've ever been part of. The AEK Athens game, never seen an atmosphere like that at ER before or since, been close a few times but never quite matched it.

The funny thing about the 2016 cup final is that I can barely remember anything about the day between getting out of my bed at stupid o'clock and David Gray scoring the winner. Everything after that I remember just fine ... it's really weird :greengrin

FilipinoHibs
28-01-2021, 10:57 PM
1) The Souness debut at ER. On hot late summers day the atmosphere was absolutely electric.

2) Beating Barcelona at home 3-2. A historic win and absolutely volatile atmosphere.

Pagan Hibernia
28-01-2021, 10:59 PM
Christmas Day 1875 and New Years Day 1973

Pretty Boy
28-01-2021, 11:05 PM
1. The 2-2 game at Tynecastle. The celebrations when that equaliser went in were off the scale.

2. Hibs V Sporting Lisbon 1972. I know fans of loads of clubs who attended that game and they all said the 2nd half performance was as good as it gets.

mim
28-01-2021, 11:15 PM
1) A game/moment you were present to witness but would love to live through again

Hibs 3 Barca 2

2) A game/moment that took place before you were born or were too young to attend

Don't know, I wasn't there :wink:

3) A game/moment that took place when I was unable to attend

The greatest game in history 0-7 :thumbsup:

hibsfan7
28-01-2021, 11:22 PM
21/05/2016

hibs 3 v barcelona 2

JohnMcM
29-01-2021, 06:58 AM

Me too.

houstonhibbee
29-01-2021, 07:09 AM
72-73 League cup final
wet dark December day at hampden after the scottish cup final hammering still on every hibees mind
0-0 at half time then with hibs totally dominant two wonderful goals to seal an unforgettable win for that tornadoes team
i can remember the chant of hibees hibees rang out round the ground when the
players went off at half time........we felt it was going to be our day at last

BILLYHIBS
29-01-2021, 07:15 AM
6-1 Sporting Lisbon

1-0 Darkheid 1902

“Leave it Jimmy by the way” 😃

DIXIHIBS
29-01-2021, 07:22 AM
Two games i would love to see again. 1. Semi v huns when we won skol cup. Keith wright scoring the winner against a very good hun side packed with internationals, 2. Souness game just for the total frenzied atmosphere.

Keith_M
29-01-2021, 08:46 AM
1) A game/moment you were present to witness but would love to live through again.

10th March 1979. Scottish Cup game v Hearts at Easter Road.

My first ever game and we won 2-1

I was thirteen, which is quite late compared to most people's first game, but nobody had ever bothered taking me before, despite the fact I was clearly obsessed with Hibs.

Although segregation was already in place in '79, we were in a mixed Hibs and Hearts South Enclosure. I hadn't gone through a growth spurt yet, so I wasn't tall enough to see much of the game... but I was absolutely hooked.

Alfiembra
29-01-2021, 08:56 AM

Was at both, can’t remember much about either of them :greengrin

Is It On....
29-01-2021, 08:57 AM
Two games i would love to see again. 1. Semi v huns when we won skol cup. Keith wright scoring the winner against a very good hun side packed with internationals, 2. Souness game just for the total frenzied atmosphere.

Semi Vs Huns - the game is a bit of a blur but vividly remember
1) we got in late because of turnstyle issues but mounted police being aggressive about "knocking into their horses" when we were waiting to get in
2) some guy describing to others how Keith Wright "rose like an angel" when he scored.

wookie70
29-01-2021, 09:28 AM
6-2 as I had the flu and it was the only home game I missed for about 4 seasons
The Keith Wright semi against Rangers as I was so drunk I could hardly remember the game the day after

A very close third would be the AEK Athens game just for the atmosphere. The shivers are running down my spine even thinking about it

zitelli62
29-01-2021, 02:15 PM
1 21/5/2016

2 hands of hibs rally and everything we all done to save our club.

The team that wouldn't die.

GGTTH.

Skol
29-01-2021, 02:27 PM

10th March 1979. Scottish Cup game v Hearts at Easter Road.

My first ever game and we won 2-1

I was thirteen, which is quite late compared to most people's first game, but nobody had ever bothered taking me before, despite the fact I was clearly obsessed with Hibs.

Although segregation was already in place in '79, we were in a mixed Hibs and Hearts South Enclosure. I hadn't gone through a growth spurt yet, so I wasn't tall enough to see much of the game... but I was absolutely hooked.

I was there with my Uncle aged 11. We were in the North Enclosure and my Uncle parked his car on Albion Road. After the game I was inside holding my scarf and my uncle said put that down son or the windaes will get tanned.

Most of the games for me have been mentioned already bit a few to add to the mix.

- Geebsie's goal at Tynie
- Both cup tie wins over Celtic in 1986
- Skol Cup semi final
- The first leg semi final v Rangers in 1986

Baader
29-01-2021, 02:43 PM
1. 21/5/2016. No question. 6-2 a distant second.

2. Hearts 0-7 Hibs

makaveli1875
29-01-2021, 02:48 PM
1 the scottish cup final

2 a game id like to have been at would be George Bests debut whoever that was against .

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2021, 02:49 PM
0-7 and Sporting Lisbon 6-1, that game was the best atmosphere I can remember being at, at Easter Road.

MWHIBBIES
29-01-2021, 02:50 PM
The cup final is the obvious one. When I close my eyes I can perfectly picture Grays goal from my seat. The perfect picture. No other moment as a Hibs fan remotely compares to that.

Wish I'd been at the skol cup win vs Dunfermline. Can only imagine how good that felt after the year before it.

Magpie
29-01-2021, 03:13 PM
Winning the Scottish Cup in 2016 is the obvious pick so I’ll go with my second option of the comeback against Falkirk in the Scottish Cup semi final, it was some feeling when Leigh hit that strike in extra time.

I’m going to say our first League Cup success and our first trophy in 70 years when we beat Celtic 2-1 in 1972. They beat us 6-1 in the Scottish Cup final less than a year before so the revenge probably would have felt sweet too.

Jim_in_Canada
29-01-2021, 04:11 PM

This is my answer too. I was at both games but, because of a great night of first footing, wasn't really myself by 3pm and was not as perky as I should have been for the 0-7. I would go back to the Napoli game and record Bobby Duncan's goal - I was in the Dunbar end and I would love to see if it really was as I remember it !

Potty78
29-01-2021, 04:17 PM
Celtic 4 3 cup game at Easter Rd, I was only 8 and cant really remember it, 6 2 hearts game I missed as I was on a flight to Barbados for my brothers wedding 🤦*♂️

zitelli62
29-01-2021, 04:51 PM
The cup final is the obvious one. When I close my eyes I can perfectly picture Grays goal from my seat. The perfect picture. No other moment as a Hibs fan remotely compares to that.

Wish I'd been at the skol cup win vs Dunfermline. Can only imagine how good that felt after the year before it.
Dunfermline game was more relief than anything else knowing a year previously we just about died the scenes after were the first time I seen hibs bring a cup back on an open top bus ,cant remember the 72 cup win I was only 6 at the time but the emotion of saving the team then a year later winning a cup brought a lot of emotion out great day and happily more great days in the years ahead.

Keith_M
29-01-2021, 05:26 PM

It was amazing, especially the size of the Hibs Support. I'd never seen so many Hibbies before.

If you ever watch a video of it, have a look at the players lining up before the game, as they were equally shocked.

heidtheba
29-01-2021, 05:51 PM
OK odd ones for me - I'm going on the 'feeling' and the excitement more than performances and results;

1 - One I was there for - LOVED my first derby at Tynie. End of 92/93 season. I think O'Neill could have won it at the end but missed. (I also hadn't been there for any of the other games in 'that' run, so I got the excitement and none of the 'awww ffs' vibe.

2 - The Souness game.

Lancs Harp
29-01-2021, 05:59 PM
Hibs 3 Rangers 2 yes that game in 50 plus years of being a football fanatic nothing can beat that day.

I have a bit of thing for Hibs European history and have recently just completed my collection of all our home European programmes. Several people have already suggested some of the heady nights such as thrashing Sporting and Napoli and beating Barca. I'll go for something slightly different I'd like to have been at our first ever European match against Rot Weiss Essen, indeed the first team from these fair isles to participate, I'd like to be greedy and attend both the home and away matches.

:flag:

Eyrie
29-01-2021, 06:56 PM
Napoli and 6-2.

Iggy Pope
29-01-2021, 07:09 PM
...would you travel back in time to be at?

2) A game/moment that took place before you were born or were too young to attend.

It's tempting to say the 2016 cup win for the first one but it's still so fresh in my memory that I think I'd have to opt for 6-2, while for the second one I'd be very tempted to go for 7-0 or one of the great 60s/70s European nights - but overall I think it would have to be seeing the league flag being raised at ER in the late 40s/early 50s (something my dad was privileged enough to see, so I guess I might spot his much younger self there!).

1) Leeds United 73/74 just to sit through it all with my dear Auld man again. It was a long story that ended with me getting our tickets from Mr Cecil Graham. I was aged 11.

2) 0-7 at Tynie if I can only drag the auld ****er out his bed to take me this time.

There are hundreds of others.

Pretty Boy
29-01-2021, 07:12 PM
It was amazing, especially the size of the Hibs Support. I'd never seen so many Hibbies before.

If you ever watch a video of it, have a look at the players lining up before the game, as they were equally shocked.

I was 5 at the time.

I remember being at ER for the team coming back and being a bit bemused as it was the only time I had ever seen my Grandad shed a tear. He was a hard man in his day, probably typical of working men of his era, and that kind of emotion just wasn't normal.

erin go bragh
29-01-2021, 07:29 PM
Thought nothing would top the 5-1 cup win over Killie as I was locked out of the 91 final win . Having my laddie beside me , belting out SOL, both witnessing our first Hibs cup victory but 21-05-2016 totally blew that out of the galaxy.
4-4 at Barca ,then 3-2 at ER or beating Real Madrid 2-0 at ER are just getting slightly getting edged by the 0-7 new year day humping .

Skol
29-01-2021, 07:41 PM
There was a NYD Derby at Easter Road c1993. We had lost 7-0 at Ibrox 2 days earlier and feared the game.

Won 2-1

Post match was unbelievable in Robbies.

Waxy
29-01-2021, 08:19 PM
1 The 2016 Scottish cup final
2 The 1887 Scottish cup final

Since452
29-01-2021, 08:37 PM
Would re-live the SC final. Just an incredible game.

I'd love to go back to the famous five era to experience 60 odd thousand at Easter Road. Must have been something else.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-01-2021, 09:00 PM
Hibs 3 Rangers 2 yes that game in 50 plus years of being a football fanatic nothing can beat that day.

I have a bit of thing for Hibs European history and have recently just completed my collection of all our home European programmes. Several people have already suggested some of the heady nights such as thrashing Sporting and Napoli and beating Barca. I'll go for something slightly different I'd like to have been at our first ever European match against Rot Weiss Essen, indeed the first team from these fair isles to participate, I'd like to be greedy and attend both the home and away matches.

:flag:

I really enjoyed the 50th anniversary trip to Essen, cracking few days.

May21/05/16
29-01-2021, 09:07 PM
The best performance i seen was the 0 7 game
The best European away game leeds utd 0 0 we should have beat them leeds had great players in that team them two games was because my old man took me to them but he missed out on may 21 2016 greatest moment following hibs

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
29-01-2021, 09:21 PM
I really enjoyed the 50th anniversary trip to Essen, cracking few days.

I could actually do with re-living that few days and it had **** all to do with the football!

The_Exile
29-01-2021, 09:57 PM
Love to experience Pacos second and our equaliser again, loudest I’ve ever heard the place.

hibby6270
29-01-2021, 11:05 PM
1) 2007 League Cup Final.
My dad’s birthday. My dad’s last ever Hibs game. He passed away 13 years ago today (Jan 2008).

Despite supporting Hibs for over 65 years, season ticket holder for many of those years, remarkably this was the first time he had seen Hibs win a major final.

What I would do to go to a game with him just once more. That one would be a fitting memory.

2) Peebles Rovers 15-1 Scottish Cup game in 1961. I was 2 years old when this game was played. Attended my first game in 1962. Since then I’ve never seen Hibs score more than 9 goals in a game. Still time to see a 10 or above game but a wee tardis trip back to the Peebles game would do nicely as a substitute.

Jim44
29-01-2021, 11:07 PM
Hibs - Barcelona
Hibs - Napoli
Hearts - Hibs 0-7

I was at them all but can’t choose 2.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-01-2021, 02:11 AM
I could actually do with re-living that few days and it had **** all to do with the football!

That's usually the way of football trips!

Bristolhibby
30-01-2021, 05:54 AM
One I missed - 2016 Cup Final. All the disappointment over the years (including the playoff a week before) and that was the payoff. I was at my wife’s friends wedding.

One to repeat - LC Final 2007 (first time I’d seen Hibs win a trophy), LC Semi v the Huns (may take a few less pre match drinks this time), or the 4-0 v the Huns on Boxing Day when we were in the Championship.

My flight up from Bristol was delayed on that last one and I missed the first two goals. But it was a great day, got to hang out with my dad, brother, cousins and uncles.

For me that is a big part of Hibs for me, the family connection.

One from history must be the 0-7 game. Still hear stories about it from my Dad and Uncles.

J

Killiehibbie
30-01-2021, 07:48 AM
4-1 against Celtic 1978 and 1958 cup 1/4 final to see Joe Baker score 4.

Keith_M
30-01-2021, 10:57 AM
I know I've already picked, but one other game I'd like to go back to would be against Dundee, in 1981... when I lost a tooth.

If I could relive that, I'd make sure I put my guard up this time before the Dundee twat took a swing at me in Bothwell St after the game.

The Green Sea
30-01-2021, 11:30 AM
Scottish Cup Final - 2016

Hibs v Dundee United - 1986

Ending that run against them at ER in 88 or 89 can’t remember the year.

The first one requires no explanation. The second one was just immense for a game we lost. The third was a weight off my young shoulders as I attended a school full of Jambos. Tough choice to pick 2 from them.

CloudSquall
30-01-2021, 11:51 AM
The 2-0 "unbeatable" derby, the noise when Boozy and then O'Connor scored was unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCH2_AyIZWI

My second pick would be at home to AEK Athens.

Potty78
30-01-2021, 11:53 AM
Scottish Cup Final - 2016

Hibs v Dundee United - 1986

Ending that run against them at ER in 88 or 89 can’t remember the year.

The first one requires no explanation. The second one was just immense for a game we lost. The third was a weight off my young shoulders as I attended a school full of Jambos. Tough choice to pick 2 from them.

Think it was 1987 as this was my first derby, remember fans on the pitch at the end too. Kano header won it if I remember correctly👍

Itsnoteasy
30-01-2021, 12:05 PM
Both at Tynie.

Geebsy ending horrendous run.

Archie goal.

For atmosphere AEK at Easter Road for me will never be beaten.

Skol
30-01-2021, 12:52 PM
Taking a different approach, two games that were fun for different reasons:

1) The Matty Jack game
2) The Freeland debacle against Falkirk

You could chuck a few Charlie Richmond ones in as well. he used to make my blood boil

Sudds_1
30-01-2021, 03:01 PM
1 1 1973 and THAT cup final....still gives me shivers. League cup semia good 3rd! 😁😁😁

weecounty hibby
30-01-2021, 03:06 PM
The meeting with Cannon Hannah etc where they decided to create Hibs. Imagine having been there!!
Loads of games.I've been to that is love to back and see again, lots of them as I can't remember much due to excessive alcohol consumption! Millennium derby would be a good shout tho

leftfield
30-01-2021, 10:45 PM
Apart from trophy wins the ones I would like to see again are the 7-0 against Hearts and the 2-0 against Real Madrid. I know it was only a friendly but nobody saw that result coming. The crowd refused to leave until the team came out for a lap of honour. The other big plus for me is that it was the last game I saw with my father.

john rossi
30-01-2021, 10:59 PM
Hibs 3 Barcelona 2 and league cup final Hibs 2 Celtic1 Pat Stantons greatest game for Hibs

john rossi
30-01-2021, 11:15 PM
Hibs 3 Barcelona 2 and league cup final Hibs 2 Celtic1 Pat Stantons greatest game for Hibs

Stantons Angel
31-01-2021, 12:27 AM
Mine would have to be the Dryburgh Cup Final 5-3 game against Celtic at Hampden.
Just for the fantastic footbal that Hibs team played at that time.
Only the 0-7 game New Years day 1973 could beat the class of football played!

The Scottish Cup Final 2016 - Just because we swept them off the park and for the celebrations next day,never forget it!

ACLeith
31-01-2021, 06:25 AM
So many memories to choose from, all been mentioned here. Barca 3-2. RM 2-0, 0-7, 1991 & 2007 LC. But it has to be 2016, even if we do it again soon nothing can surpass that day.

I started going with my dad in 1956-57 season so just too late to see the European exploits. I did see the Famous Five, though not altogether in the same team. I still have vivid memories of Gordon Smith though he was past his absolute peak and I was too young to appreciate him anyway. But I would love to go back to late 40s to see him in his prime to confirm my dad was right when he said he was the greatest player he ever saw, bar none.

hibee-boys
31-01-2021, 06:35 AM
1. Re-live 2016, can hardly remember being there so a replay would be welcome!
2. Any one of the glorious European nights at Easter Road back in the day, 50’s to 70’s, happy to accept a recommendation by someone who might have been there.

houstonhibbee
31-01-2021, 07:13 AM
[QUOTE=hibee-boys;6445337]1. Re-live 2016, can hardly remember being there so a replay would be welcome!
2. Any one of the glorious European nights at Easter Road back in the day, 50’s to 70’s, happy to accept a recommendation by someone who might have been there.[/QUO

Sporting Lisbon downhill second half
2-1 down from first leg
1-1 at half time
wevneeded to score 2 unanswered in the second half to progress.........5 goals in 45 minutes

hibee-boys
31-01-2021, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=hibee-boys;6445337]1. Re-live 2016, can hardly remember being there so a replay would be welcome!
2. Any one of the glorious European nights at Easter Road back in the day, 50’s to 70’s, happy to accept a recommendation by someone who might have been there.[/QUO

2-1 down from first leg
1-1 at half time
wevneeded to score 2 unanswered in the second half to progress.........5 goals in 45 minutes

Incredible, what era was that? I really need to re-read some of my old Hibs history books🤔

Crunchie
31-01-2021, 07:23 AM
Can only ever be the cup win in 2016, streets ahead of anything else.

The 1991 cup win is the only thing that comes close being it was the first trophy I'd seen us win in person.

We could all list dozens if not hundreds more that evoke special memories for different reasons. For example the 2-1 Lavety, Harper, Derby rates one of my all time great memories for so many reasons yet it was in a season we were relegated :confused:

BILLYHIBS
31-01-2021, 07:26 AM

2-1 down from first leg
1-1 at half time

Second half performance going down the slope was something else

No team in Europe could have lived with us that night

Pure football delight

We scored three goals in eight minutes IIRC to kill the tie ( 55. 59 and 63)

The last game of the old Cowshed

houstonhibbee
31-01-2021, 07:26 AM
[QUOTE=houstonhibbee;6445361]

Incredible, what era was that? I really need to re-read some of my old Hibs history books🤔

cup winners cup September 1972
not sure but that could have been the game that earned the team the tornadoes tag

Although the team started playing together in January 72 and got to the the sc final in May they didn’t really start blitzing teams until the start of season 72 - 73. I think they scored Over 100 goals from August to January 1 1973 at tynecsstle

houstonhibbee
31-01-2021, 07:31 AM
[QUOTE=houstonhibbee;6445361]

Second half performance going down the slope was something else

No team in Europe could have lived with us that night

Pure football delight

We scored three goals in eight minutes IIRC to kill the tie ( 55. 59 and 63)

The last game of the old Cowshed

scintillating. I was 14 and just thought it would always be like this

Crunchie
31-01-2021, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=hibee-boys;6445363]

cup winners cup September 1972
not sure but that could have been the game that earned the team the tornadoes tag

Although the team started playing together in January 72 and got to the the sc final in May they didn’t really start blitzing teams until the start of season 72 - 73. I think they scored Over 100 goals from August to January 1 1973 at tynecsstle
It's as well there was no internet back then, .net would have been in meltdown from late March to the end of the season. We didn't win any of our last 7 League games and scored only 2 goals. It would have been Turnbull no more for some on here despite finishing third and winning 2 trophies.

houstonhibbee
31-01-2021, 07:41 AM
[QUOTE=houstonhibbee;6445373]
It's as well there was no internet back then, .net would have been in meltdown from late March to the end of the season. We didn't win any of our last 7 League games and scored only 2 goals. It would have been Turnbull no more for some on here despite finishing third and winning 2 trophies.

Losing 3-0 in Split knocked the stuffing out the team. That must have been in March

DIXIHIBS
31-01-2021, 07:43 AM
Mine would have to be the Dryburgh Cup Final 5-3 game against Celtic at Hampden.
Just for the fantastic footbal that Hibs team played at that time.
Only the 0-7 game New Years day 1973 could beat the class of football played!

The Scottish Cup Final 2016 - Just because we swept them off the park and for the celebrations next day,never forget it!
Considering how good that celtic team was, to score 5 against them at hampden was remarkable.

Crunchie
31-01-2021, 07:44 AM
[QUOTE=Trapper;6445380]

Losing 3-0 in Split knocked the stuffing out the team. That must have been in March
Aye mate, 21st, and you're right the bad run of League results was from the 24th.

Remember listening to it on the radio and was gutted to say the least,

houstonhibbee
31-01-2021, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=houstonhibbee;6445387]
Aye mate, 21st, and you're right the bad run of League results was from the 24th.

Remember listening to it on the radio and was gutted to say the least,
Here’s the 4 goals from the first leg. Don’t think I’ve seen this since then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJoPmTO08M

Crunchie
31-01-2021, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE=Trapper;6445390]
Here’s the 4 goals from the first leg. Don’t think I’ve seen this since then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJoPmTO08M
Typical Hibs to go out in the manner they did, build up your hopes and go out with a whimper. We had a serious chance of winning that cup too.

houstonhibbee
31-01-2021, 08:09 AM
[QUOTE=houstonhibbee;6445394]
Typical Hibs to go out in the manner they did, build up your hopes and go out with a whimper. We had a serious chance of winning that cup too.

As someone else pointed out it was losing 2 goals in the first leg that did the damage