PDA

View Full Version : Hibs apologise to the hun.

lord bunberry
28-01-2021, 06:55 PM
https://bit.ly/3t4JYaW
I can’t believe we’ve done that, soft as *****.

Joe6-2
28-01-2021, 06:59 PM
We can be so pathetic

Eyrie
28-01-2021, 07:01 PM
Where is the Sevco apology to Porteous for Morelos' deliberate attempt to injure him?

Smartie
28-01-2021, 07:03 PM
****ing pitiful stuff from Hibs again.

They're just weak as piss Sevco apologists.

It's putting me off my own club.

.Sean.
28-01-2021, 07:03 PM
As pathetic as not calling out every single liar in the media after 21/05/16

Embarrassing

Peevemor
28-01-2021, 07:06 PM
Do we know what form the apology took? Is it worth moaning about and having yet another go at the club?

CallumLaidlaw
28-01-2021, 07:06 PM
Was always gonna happen and I can blame hibs. Waiting on the follow up fine tbf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacomo
28-01-2021, 07:07 PM
Further proof that the real snowflakes are the bigoted cretins who complain loudly about ‘snowflakes’.

They will go on and on about ‘political correctness gone mad’ and how ‘you can’t say anything anymore!’ Yet if you dare to make a joke about them, they start greeting about it!

Chorley Hibee
28-01-2021, 07:09 PM
Nothing to say on a decade of cheating by the hun.

Nothing to say on the sectarian abuse of our previous managers at Ibrox.

Nothing to say about the media defamation of our club and support after May 2016.

Nothing to say about twice yearly visits to ER with their sectarian bile.

**** off Hibs!

jacomo
****ing pitiful stuff from Hibs again.

They're just weak as piss Sevco apologists.

It's putting me off my own club.

I wouldn’t take it too seriously.

We probably just left a voicemail saying ‘we’re sorry if you are offensive, sorry, offended’ and left it at that.

semaj64
Hibs are probably trying to limit any further actions and getting in first. Really the SPFL and SFA should have better priorities like stamping out the real issues in the west.

Danderhall Hibs
28-01-2021, 07:11 PM
Complained to ofcom? FFS someone needs to get a grip of themselves.

Mind you it’s Edinburgh live - is that not just a website for failed journalists?

Aldo
So it’s ok for them the spout their bigoted sectarian bile week in week out but as soon as another team steps out of line then a full inquiry is required.

Their fans want a full probe into it.

Whilst it may have been wrong oot kettle imho!

cabbageandribs1875
'kin boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Vault Boy
To be honest, letting it quietly slip via our SLO is probably the most 'doing the minimum we can get away with' way of apologising that there is. If the comments are investigated, I can't see how they won't find Hibs at fault - whether that's fair or not is a different question.

Since452
Sometimes instead of rising above it I wish Hibs would publicly tell Rangers to **** off. Or words to that effect.

Iggy Pope
28-01-2021, 07:13 PM
The contribution made by Hibs fans to our club is paid lip service by Hibs every now and again.
Unless we are throwing money at them, it’s hard to imagine if the club could be any more detached.

Wonder if any of the board view these boards other than our own rep.

Iggy Pope
28-01-2021, 07:15 PM
I wouldn’t take it too seriously.

We probably just left a voicemail saying ‘we’re sorry if you are offensive, sorry, offended’ and left it at that.

Doubtful we got off our knees long enough to show any wit.

Jim44
28-01-2021, 07:16 PM
I’m disappointed that the club deemed it necessary to apologise. What concerns me more, however, is that it might cloud the issue of Morelos’s violent assault on Porteous. By apologising, it might be wrongly construed that we are not angry and are accepting the referee’s decision. The authorities might take the opportunity to gloss over the more important issue.

gbhibby
28-01-2021, 07:20 PM
The most offensive thing that happened last night was the stamp on Ryan's leg
They are such a sensitive bunch they are turning into the Green brigade.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2021, 07:20 PM
I can see why Hibs may have thought it was easiest just to apologise to try and calm the situation down. It's arguably better than Rangers trying to take it further, it was an in house show after all.

In saying that it really sticks in my craw. It was quite obviously a couple tongue in cheek remarks that have been blown out of all proportion by people who want to be allowed to say anything they like but can't take a wee bit back. I don't care if this is whataboutery but when you consider what Rangers get away with week after week, year after year it seems ****ing ridiculous that we are apologising.

Alan62
28-01-2021, 07:24 PM
It would appear from this that we have as many indignant numpties as the Rangers.

Having Irvine Welsh on the show was always going to be a risk. While he entertained the Hibs fans, his comments were bound to infuriate the sticky buns. As the club is responsible for the guests in its channel, its ONLY option is an apology.

To suggest otherwise is simply naive.

Chuck Rhoades
28-01-2021, 07:26 PM
Do we know what form the apology took? Is it worth moaning about and having yet another go at the club?

Exactly why I said Hibs would not have IW back earlier.

Iggy Pope
28-01-2021, 07:30 PM
It would appear from this that we have as many indignant numpties as the Rangers.

Having Irvine Welsh on the show was always going to be a risk. While he entertained the Hibs fans, his comments were bound to infuriate the sticky buns. As the club is responsible for the guests in its channel, its ONLY option is an apology.

Why would these ever so easily infuriated Huns be tuning into HibsTV last night asks this numpty.

SouthMoroccoStu
I can see why Hibs may have thought it was easiest just to apologise to try and calm the situation down. It's arguably better than Rangers trying to take it further, it was an in house show after all.

But they still want it investigated

Anything to distract from their cheating players

I more than disappointed that we’ve apologised, all we had to say was we’re investigating it, and then leave them to spin in the wind

hibsbollah
Who gives a **** really. We all had a laugh with Irvine, we all agree with him, no public apology, kept it between the clubs, inevitable.

Onion
28-01-2021, 07:32 PM
Original slur was probably heard by 3 huns and a dog.

Now it's gone public with an apology a great many more can now pretend to be offended :greengrin

Smartie
28-01-2021, 07:32 PM

There are any number of alternatives.

Not without consequences, but alternatives nonetheless.

And this action will have consequences in terms of the worsening of the relationship between the Hibs fans and their own club at a time when they can ill afford to be doing so.

Ringothedog
28-01-2021, 07:33 PM
I find it interesting that our fans reps disappear when anything even slightly controversial has happened. It is at times like this that we need the facts regarding what our club is doing to protect itself and players. Things like this build up resentment and starts to alienate the fans from the club, particularly after our semifinal results. Come on Hibernian, it’s time to get the fans on board.

EI255
28-01-2021, 07:33 PM
I salute you Sir Irvine Welsh [emoji106]

Sent from my Columbian phone

Chuck Rhoades
28-01-2021, 07:34 PM
Colin Millar at it again.

The Tubs
28-01-2021, 07:35 PM
While I really enjoyed Irvine being on, it would probably be better to have an alternative organised by Hibs fans broadcast via Youtube or something in the future. Maybe for charity fundraising or something. Having him on the official one was always a big risk of this type of thing happening - especially against the huns.

S4uzee
28-01-2021, 07:35 PM
Pathetic apologising for that. Would they have apologised if it had been the other way about

green day
28-01-2021, 07:36 PM
Who gives a **** really. We all had a laugh with Irvine, we all agree with him, no public apology, kept it between the clubs, inevitable.

Correct. Personally I would tell them to bolt, but I am not running a foot all club and we did the right thing.

Chuck Rhoades
28-01-2021, 07:36 PM
I find it interesting that our fans reps disappear when anything even slightly controversial has happened. It is at times like this that we need the facts regarding what our club is doing to protect itself and players. Things like this build up resentment and starts to alienate the fans from the club, particularly after our semifinal results. Come in Hibernian, it’s time to get the fans on board.

I have so much time for KP, but I expect he’s under lock and eye at times like this. As you say, anything controversial and the rep role is often non-existent.

The Tubs
28-01-2021, 07:38 PM
Pathetic apologising for that. Would they have apologised if it had been the other way about

There's no equivalent. I can't think of any other Scots football fan that has a similar profile.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2021, 07:38 PM
I'm not surprised at all that it's come to this, Hibs were always going to be backed into an impossible corner over this.

Sevco are masters at playing this card meanwhile doing absolutely nothing to sort out the far bigger issues at their own door.

The fact some of them went to the bother of complaining to Ofcom is pathetic.

They'll see this as a moral victory, the fact they've got an apology out of us and seen us probably now have to distance ourselves from one of our most famous fans.

Next time the fans are allowed back to Ibrox and we get subjected to the usual torrent of abuse thrown in our direction, I sincerely hope that Hibs go to town over it.

green day
28-01-2021, 07:39 PM
There's no equivalent. I can't think of any other Scots football fan that has a similar profile.

Yep, and Hibs "under the counter non public apology" has got the Huns even more outraged.

And there is nothing they can do.

Hilarious

SouthMoroccoStu
28-01-2021, 07:40 PM

Their bias (that’s understandable) and thinly vailed bigotry on rangerstv

Times I’ve watched they have never been able to praise us for good play etc and there’s always a undertone of bile

I’ll be expecting retrospective apologies

Chorley Hibee
28-01-2021, 07:41 PM
Next time the fans are allowed back to Ibrox and we get subjected to the usual torrent of abuse thrown in our direction, I sincerely hope that Hibs go to town over it.

We'll do absolutely nothing as per usual.

Smartie
28-01-2021, 07:43 PM
I'm not surprised at all that it's come to this, Hibs were always going to be backed into an impossible corner over this.

Sevco are masters at playing this card meanwhile doing absolutely nothing to sort out the far bigger issues at their own door.

They'll see this as a moral victory, the fact they've got an apology out of us and seen us probably now have to distance ourselves from one of our most famous fans.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

They get away with pish like this because of the weakness and tolerance of their poison by clubs like Hibs.

We're part of the problem. We're part of a lot of the problems.

GreenCastle
28-01-2021, 07:44 PM
The irony of the huns complaining about something said / comments when most weeks thousands of fans sing sectarian songs and nothing is ever done.

Allez Hibs
28-01-2021, 07:44 PM
Not surprising.

Centre Hawf
28-01-2021, 07:45 PM
Probably in the minority here but someone suggesting that a football player should be chopped up with a machete, no matter how ****my he is, on a club official channel should warrant an apology from that club at the very least.

S4uzee
28-01-2021, 07:45 PM

They get away with pish like this because of the weakness and tolerance of their poison by clubs like Hibs.

Totally agree

madhatter
28-01-2021, 07:49 PM
He was a guest on a live show. If Irvine has said that about Boris or someone like that I think most people wouldn’t give a toss. I’ve seen some amount of rubbish about inciting violence and racism...

Jeez, no wonder comedians are complaining about society and where it’s going. So delicate.

The irony, most Rangers fans celebrated an actual violent act - Morelos’ stamp.

LithgaeHibby
28-01-2021, 07:50 PM
What were the Huns doing on our channel anyway? They could already lap it up from "Boydy" on Sky. Would like to see Irvine Welsh promoted to anchorman next time the Huns come calling.

Chorley Hibee
28-01-2021, 07:51 PM
Probably in the minority here but someone suggesting that a football player should be chopped up with a machete, no matter how ****my he is, on a club official channel should warrant an apology from that club at the very least.

I object to thousands of Huns arriving at ER promoting their bigoted sectarian bile twice a year.

I'm still awaiting an apology from Rangers FC, and whilst we're at it - I'm still awaiting comment from Hibs.

Christ, we couldn't even defend our own managers being victims of sectarian abuse at Ibrox.

As Smartie said, our silence is part of the problem.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2021, 07:51 PM

Oh I'm not trust me.

We absolutely should make an issue of it.

Newhaven
28-01-2021, 07:53 PM
Not even 24 hours since the game and we rush out an apology. You couldn’t make it up 🙄

We should of went to town with the daily record after the cup final but we brick it as usual. Like the players on the pitch we are so weak and easily bullied. Pathetic.

Bristolhibby
28-01-2021, 07:57 PM
I’m sad that they probably won’t invite Irvine back on Hibs TV.

Hibs have made the apology, now get IW back in the studio for the next home game. That would be the perfect eff U.

J

Konte34
28-01-2021, 08:04 PM
Looks like they are going to investigate it too :rolleyes:

bit.ly/3iU6bnt (https://t.co/vcXScxxDHI)

SaulGoodman
28-01-2021, 08:07 PM
So we’ve shat ourselves and apologised even though the SFA are going to investigate anyway. Ffs

Zambernardi1875
28-01-2021, 08:08 PM
Scottish media picking up on stories from fake hun twitter accounts and making it relevant. Life is so much better when you stay away from both

The Harp Awakes
28-01-2021, 08:10 PM

I wouldn’t hold your breath. Stubbs and Lennon had 45000 of the mutants singing the 'cheer up' song at them on multiple occasions at Ibrox. Would have been good if Hibs had stood up for their managers at the time. It's not what Hibs do though. As others have said we're too nice.

GreenCastle
28-01-2021, 08:11 PM
Looks like they are going to investigate it too :rolleyes:

bit.ly/3iU6bnt (https://t.co/vcXScxxDHI)

They can investigate all the videos on YouTube of their fans singing sectarian songs while they are at it. Not hard to find.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2021, 08:12 PM
What punishment did Tom Boyd and Celtic receive for implying John Beaton was a cheat on Celtic TV and hinting he drank in Rangers pubs?

That's the precedent. If we get treated any worse then it just proves what we all already know.

ronaldo7
28-01-2021, 08:15 PM
We'll do absolutely nothing as per usual.

Never have, and never will. Soft as.

monarch
28-01-2021, 08:16 PM
Rangers supporters’ liaison officer Greg Marshall is pressing for an SFA investigation. This guy used to be the manager of the Louden Tavern, the legendary bigots’ watering hole. Would have thought that the mention of “machete” wouldn’t have caused him much alarm.

JimBHibees
28-01-2021, 08:17 PM

Think you are right funny as it was. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
28-01-2021, 08:18 PM
What punishment did Tom Boyd and Celtic receive for implying John Beaton was a cheat on Celtic TV and hinting he drank in Rangers pubs?

That's the precedent. If we get treated any worse then it just proves what we all already know.

I don't think there was any action although the incident was referred to the compliance officer.

WeeRussell
28-01-2021, 08:19 PM
Why would these ever so easily infuriated Huns be tuning into HibsTV last night asks this numpty.

This was my initial reaction. Hopefully anyone who has complained can prove they paid to watch HIBS tv.

Centre Hawf
28-01-2021, 08:27 PM
I object to thousands of Huns arriving at ER promoting their bigoted sectarian bile twice a year.

I'm still awaiting an apology from Rangers FC, and whilst we're at it - I'm still awaiting comment from Hibs.

Christ, we couldn't even defend our own managers being victims of sectarian abuse at Ibrox.

As Smartie said, our silence is part of the problem.

I don’t disagree with what you say. My point of view is we should defend ourselves better in those situations you mention, while conducting ourselves better on the whole and avoid being dragged into this horrible level Rangers and any real conversation about them exists in. Their club is poison and we should avoid situations like this imo.

itslegaltender
28-01-2021, 08:29 PM
What were the Huns doing on our channel anyway? They could already lap it up from "Boydy" on Sky. Would like to see Irvine Welsh promoted to anchorman next time the Huns come calling.

only way they saw it was if they were watching illegally on IPTV or streaming on web

SanFranHibs
28-01-2021, 08:29 PM
I think Hibs defence will be it was on Hibs TV so they did not think anyone would actually see or hear it!

:wink:

chookyembra
28-01-2021, 08:33 PM
Soft as ***** apologising to that shower of ****

Radium
28-01-2021, 08:33 PM
Here’s hoping that in a week where fans are about to hand about £50k to the club that a large portion isn’t lost because of a fairly tasteless comment by a guest of the club.

Like many others I enjoyed the digs about the sectarian songs and thought it was a better show but chopping up an opposition player with a machete and feeding him to the seagulls was not acceptable.

IW is a better wordsmith than I could ever hope to be but his analogy was one for his next novel or an after match catch up with his mates. Maybe an appearance on a non-club post match zoom call beckons ...

Carheenlea
28-01-2021, 08:39 PM
No place for humour in Scottish football. Certainly out with the borders of the self proclaimed banter capital of the world, Glasgow, or if directed at the Old Firm from outsiders.

gbhibby
28-01-2021, 08:46 PM
Typical deflection tactics to take the heat off Morelos. Kicks and studs may break our bones but names will never hurt us.

easty
28-01-2021, 08:47 PM
I’m surprised it appears I’m in the minority that thinks the club is right to apologise, privately.

I enjoyed him saying it, a lot, but it’s not something I think Hibs can be seen to endorse, which is how it’d look if they didn’t acknowledge it.

I’ve seen folk on here greeting about things like what’s being said on Sportsound, demanding fairness, or demanding the club ask for an apology from the Daily Record...but when Irvine Welsh (jokes) on our TV station about Morelos being cut up, we’re asking why Rangers are so touchy about it?

CallumLaidlaw
28-01-2021, 08:48 PM
I’m surprised it appears I’m in the minority that thinks the club is right to apologise, privately.

I enjoyed him saying it, a lot, but it’s not something I think Hibs can be seen to endorse, which is how it’d look if they didn’t acknowledge it.

I’ve seen folk on here greeting about things like what’s being said on Sportsound, demanding fairness, or demanding the club ask for an apology from the Daily Record...but when Irvine Welsh (jokes) on our TV station about Morelos being cut up, we’re asking why Rangers are so touchy about it?

I agree with you.

hibee-boys
28-01-2021, 08:48 PM

Can you imagine the uproar if someone said that about one of our players. Not surprised Rangers complained and equally not surprised that Hibs have had to apologise. Good pub patter Irvine but not on Hibs TV.

dastardly8
28-01-2021, 08:51 PM
My take on it is the sectarian shower should shut up , years of listening to their bigoted views , songs etc , they can go and take a flying f*** , Hibs should stand up and demand an apology back for all that trouble causing sectarian lot have caused for Hibs , horrible team and fans in fact their whole set up stinks.

PH91
28-01-2021, 08:53 PM

Totally agree

danhibees1875
28-01-2021, 08:55 PM
I think Hibs have done the right thing by apologising. :agree:

LancsHibs
28-01-2021, 08:55 PM
I would just like to say ‘ very sorry Sticky Buns’

BH Hibs
28-01-2021, 08:58 PM
I can see why the club did it but I wouldn't ever apologise to that hate filled, bigoted shower of ***** ever.

Box 17
28-01-2021, 09:05 PM
Let's be honest though, if Andy Cameron or some other Rangers supporting 'celebrity' said something we deemed insulting towards Hibs on Rangers TV, this place would be in uproar and demanding the SFA take action.

bigwheel
28-01-2021, 09:08 PM
Let's be honest though, if Andy Cameron or some other Rangers supporting 'celebrity' said something we deemed insulting towards Hibs on Rangers TV, this place would be in uproar and demanding the SFA take action.

It’s great that we have the author of Trainspotting and they have Andy Cameron ! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
28-01-2021, 09:08 PM
Famine song, no apology. Banter on a private club Media feed, apology.

vuefrom1875
28-01-2021, 09:12 PM
Sometimes instead of rising above it I wish Hibs would publicly tell Rangers to **** off. Or words to that effect.

Correct...we need another Tom Hart....he was not shy.

matty_f
28-01-2021, 09:16 PM
I can understand why the club felt it necessary but it would be a cold day in Hell before I’d be endorsing any apology to that lot.

Maybe, and it is just a maybe, if they had apologised for the sectarian abuse from their support towards our club, it would be a bit more palatable, but until then they can **** right off.

It says a lot about them that they take comments on that context and get outraged at them.

They’ll be hounding Only an Excuse etc for apologies as well.

WeeRussell
28-01-2021, 09:17 PM
Can anyone tell me the full details behind the naming of band he was in “stairway 13”.

I assumed huns had it wrong and it was coincidental given he joined atter moving to London, but apparently it was a reference to the ibrox disaster?

Surely wasn’t simply a dig?!

WhileTheChief..
28-01-2021, 09:29 PM
Investigate what? It was a xxxxxxx joke ffs.

Why are Hibs even entertaining them. Should tell them to do one until they apologise for Morelos.

Let’s the authorities do their worst. I’d like us to fight for once.

It’s our tv channel, we can do what the hell we like.

WhileTheChief..
28-01-2021, 09:30 PM

No, no we wouldn’t.

It’s been going on with them for years and we haven’t.

Stokesy's on fire
28-01-2021, 09:34 PM
Has the club even confirmed if it did or didnt appoligise?

Swedish hibee
28-01-2021, 09:40 PM
I'm the only one who thinks Hibs did the right thing! Yes as a fan, I agree with what he said of course but any professional club can't condone that on their TV channel.

Smartie
28-01-2021, 09:45 PM
99 times out of 100 apologising would be the right thing to do, but it ignores the entire context of the whole Hibs and Rangers thing.

We tolerate the sectarian abuse of our employees at their workplace yet we apologise for that.

Nah, not on.

I'd be disappointed in Hibs if they didn't apologise to, say, Dundee United if it was a comment made about Rudi Skacel in identical circumstances.

This is just an act of weakness and deference and we've sen it far too often from Hibs.

Pitiful.

NAE NOOKIE
28-01-2021, 09:48 PM
This is unacceptable, where is the club's apology to Andy Walker and Kris Boyd who the horrific Mr Welsh referred to as *******s on the very same show :grr:

I don't want my club to tolerate this, in fact I've decided not to go to any of our home games for the next 4 weeks in protest.

Ozyhibby
28-01-2021, 09:50 PM
I'm the only one who thinks Hibs did the right thing! Yes as a fan, I agree with what he said of course but any professional club can't condone that on their TV channel.

I agree. What he said was out of order. You can’t advocate violence against the opposition players. I really can’t take to Irvine Welsh to be honest. In fact the studio part of the Hibs TV has been garbage all season. I have no interest in what Welsh or the ladies captain thought of the game.

Crunchie
28-01-2021, 09:59 PM
I agree. What he said was out of order. You can’t advocate violence against the opposition players. I really can’t take to Irvine Welsh to be honest. In fact the studio part of the Hibs TV has been garbage all season. I have no interest in what Welsh or the ladies captain thought of the game.

Me neither, I rarely listen to the commentary during a game now. Tonight I watched the Spurs v Liverpool game with the sound down and a medley of 70s music.

Chorley Hibee
28-01-2021, 10:07 PM
How did we arrive in a place where Rangers and their support are a moral arbiter on acceptable behaviour?

It's like Harold Shipman commenting upon poor medical ethics.

Lancs Harp
28-01-2021, 10:23 PM
Lee Wallace is back in hospital as a result of Irvine's verbal assault.

WeeRussell
28-01-2021, 10:24 PM
Maybe the Huns can apologise for all of the vile sectarianism and racism often displayed by hundreds if not thousands of their **** fans on Follow Follow where it is all written in ink in plain sight?

It’ll be staggering the amount of them that are complaining about the “sticky buns” line (which we know not to be sectarian).

And then using some ‘questionable’ language to describe Hibs and Celtic in the same post.

Do they think sectarian means anything derogatory that Celtic call them?

LeithMike
28-01-2021, 10:28 PM
Deary me. Knew it would happen. We should have got Chief Miekelson to apologise.

https://youtu.be/GDrZpuGp6aA

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

JohnM1875
28-01-2021, 10:30 PM
Embarrassing we've apologised.

After years of consistent sectarian abuse aimed at us by them home and away without even a whiff of remorse, we're the ones apologising?!

Baader
28-01-2021, 10:31 PM
This was my initial reaction. Hopefully anyone who has complained can prove they paid to watch HIBS tv.

Yep. Huns getting irate about watching the match on a dodgy stream? Hibs should have told them what they can do with their request for an apology.

Their recently acquired 'victim complex' is just a ruse to deflect from how disgusting a club they really are.

MWHIBBIES
28-01-2021, 10:38 PM
Actually pretty disappointed. They sing about Alan stubbs having cancer and we do nothing. They sung about killing lennon, we do nothing. They defile Easter road with sectarian filth every time and we do nothing.

G B Young
28-01-2021, 10:45 PM
Never have, and never will. Soft as.

Maybe not in recent times, but Tom Hart was quick to hit out at any perceived injustice towards Hibs. I particularly recall him branding Rangers' John MacDonald 'a cheat' after winning a penalty at ER with a blatant dive. Eddie Turnbull wasn't slow to put the boot into the Old Firm either.

jacomo
28-01-2021, 10:45 PM
I agree with you.

Me too. A bit of exuberance by a guest brushed off with a sorry/not sorry apology. Job done.

Since452
28-01-2021, 10:51 PM
That shower in Govan, whatever they're calling themselves, have no right to an apology for anything until they sort the rancid element that runs right through their horrible club. Hibs are apologising to a club who's fans subject ours (Hibs customers) to vile sectarian rubbish year after year not to mention junkies, taigs, spoonburners etc. Let's not even go into the aftermath of the cup final and "that particular club" carry on. Hibs have done a lot of good things off the park recently but they really need to think about the supporters and their reaction to things. Hibs should have said nothing. That was all that was needed. An apology? To them? Nah not having it. Soft as **** and a slap in the face to us. Dissapointing.

NOLA
28-01-2021, 11:08 PM
Jack Ross is a hun, just keeping them sweet so we can loan another diddy from them [emoji13]

Peevemor
28-01-2021, 11:09 PM

I’ve seen folk on here greeting about things like what’s being said on Sportsound, demanding fairness, or demanding the club ask for an apology from the Daily Record...but when Irvine Welsh (jokes) on our TV station about Morelos being cut up, we’re asking why Rangers are so touchy about it?I agree. Talk about us crapping it, etc. is nonsense. Why does everyone have to get so angry about every wee thing these days? It's tiresome.

G B Young
28-01-2021, 11:17 PM

I'm with you to some extent. While I feel zero empathy with the Rangers fans complaining, this isn't about how vile their fans can be. Welsh made his comments on a live broadcast endorsed by Hibs. I'd suggest he's old enough to know better, but I guess he feels he has a certain image to maintain. Does he really need to appear 'in character' at all times?

FWIW I met him a couple of times, once at an early book reading for Trainspotting where he came across as a decent (and quiet!) bloke.

Since90+2
29-01-2021, 06:22 AM
For those defending Welsh,would their opinion be the same if it was a Rangers TV guest saying Ryan Porteous or Kevin Nisbet should be cut up into tiny pieces? You can't say those things even in jest.

Welsh has got himself some publicity out if it though.

GRA
29-01-2021, 06:31 AM
If you are representing Hibs TV then its not the arena for pub banter. Think there needs to be more explicit guidance to the guests they have on about what they can and can't do. Openly swearing (like Gaz O'Conner) and advocating violence against opposition players like Irvine did falls below the standards I'd expect.

That said the overreaction from the currant buns is laughable. Still foster that deep sense of anger and eagerness for confrontation, even when things are going well!

Since90+2
29-01-2021, 06:37 AM
That shower in Govan, whatever they're calling themselves, have no right to an apology for anything until they sort the rancid element that runs right through their horrible club. Hibs are apologising to a club who's fans subject ours (Hibs customers) to vile sectarian rubbish year after year not to mention junkies, taigs, spoonburners etc. Let's not even go into the aftermath of the cup final and "that particular club" carry on. Hibs have done a lot of good things off the park recently but they really need to think about the supporters and their reaction to things. Hibs should have said nothing. That was all that was needed. An apology? To them? Nah not having it. Soft as **** and a slap in the face to us. Dissapointing.

Hibs should hold themselves to a higher standard than Rangers. Whataboutery is what we continually accuse the old firm of.

He shouldn't have said it.

Peevemor
29-01-2021, 06:41 AM
If you are representing Hibs TV then its not the arena for pub banter. Think there needs to be more explicit guidance to the guests they have on about what they can and can't do. Openly swearing (like Gaz O'Conner) and advocating violence against opposition players like Irvine did falls below the standards I'd expect.

That said the overreaction from the currant buns is laughable. Still foster that deep sense of anger and eagerness for confrontation, even when things are going well!

Did he though?

Had he said something about hoping McGregor or Porteous broke his leg - that would be out of order, but shopping him up and feeding him to seagulls???

Peevemor
29-01-2021, 06:42 AM
For those defending Welsh,would their opinion be the same if it was a Rangers TV guest saying Ryan Porteous or Kevin Nisbet should be cut up into tiny pieces? You can't say those things even in jest.

Welsh has got himself some publicity out if it though.

If said in jest I honestly wouldn't bother.

Brizo
29-01-2021, 06:50 AM

In saying that it really sticks in my craw. It was quite obviously a couple tongue in cheek remarks that have been blown out of all proportion by people who want to be allowed to say anything they like but can't take a wee bit back. I don't care if this is whataboutery but when you consider what Rangers get away with week after week, year after year it seems ****ing ridiculous that we are apologising.

:agree:

In an ideal world Hibs would make a retrospective complaint to OFCOM about the broadcasting of the huns racist and sectarian songs every time they have appeared on the TV which is basically since the first huns game was televised. On the Irvine thread I mentioned that I expected some Hibs forelock-tugging and its happened. In this current world we live in, we probably had no alternative but I remember the days of the late Tom Hart who would have just told the huns to GTF

I find it interesting that our fans reps disappear when anything even slightly controversial has happened. It is at times like this that we need the facts regarding what our club is doing to protect itself and players. Things like this build up resentment and starts to alienate the fans from the club, particularly after our semifinal results. Come in Hibernian, it’s time to get the fans on board.

To be fair Frank Dougan slated the huns behaviour after one particularly toxic game at Hunbrox where the abuse and threats from them were even worse than normal. He got the most vile sectarian abuse from their fans on social media, possibly the only time it was a positive thing that a Hibs fan rep wasn't on social media. LD and the rest of the Board left him to hang out to dry and did absolutely nothing to support him. If the CEO and Board are afraid to speak up, I don't blame the volunteer unpaid fans reps for not putting their heads above the parapet.

JohnMcM
29-01-2021, 06:52 AM
On a positive note, the apology puts us top of the official club statement league for 2021. Every cloud has a silver lining. :greengrin

Carheenlea
29-01-2021, 06:57 AM
I understand why Hibs have apologised to Rangers, but while this was done privately with an approach made from Hibs, Rangers feel the need to demand further action and turn what was a private apology into a public one. Childish attention seeking really and sums the despicable club up.

Hibs will be wishing they had never bothered. Telling them to GTF would have been the more satisfactory response all round.

Peevemor
29-01-2021, 06:59 AM
I understand why Hibs have apologised to Rangers, but while this was done privately with an approach made from Hibs, Rangers feel the need to demand further action and turn what was a private apology into a public one. Childish attention seeking really and sums the despicable club up.

Hibs will be wishing they had never bothered. Telling them to GTF would have been the more satisfactory response all round.

Spot on!

Col L
29-01-2021, 07:14 AM
I think this is largely Hibs’ own doing. They invited Irvine on - they took that decision and surely knew the risks. It’s similar to Chris Evans inviting Shaun Ryder on to TFI Friday all those years ago (he and Channel 4 also had to apologise).

Personally I like Irvine’s patter but if you put him in on live for a Hibs v Rangers game, you are playing with fire. Cannae then turn round and blame him for being himself.

Get Shaun on for the next game, he’ll twist Morelos’s melon man!

WhileTheChief..
29-01-2021, 07:18 AM
I agree. Talk about us crapping it, etc. is nonsense. Why does everyone have to get so angry about every wee thing these days? It's tiresome.

Tiresome?

Whos posts are you talking about now?

I’m furious about the apology. I think it says a lot about us as a club, I don’t like it and I’ve expressed my view on here.

Once again you come saying folk that disagree with you are talking nonsense and being tiresome. Bang out of order.

Peevemor
29-01-2021, 07:19 AM
In any case, Irvine Welsh was a great guest who interacted well with Joelle Murray and brought out the best in David Tanner. It's a Hibs programme for Hibs TV subscribers and ST holders.

Let them have their wee apology. If they're classless enough to moan in public so be it.

Hibs won't get into trouble because a guest talks about "sticky buns" and feeding a player to pigeons.

Any Hibs fans complaining or agreeing with the huns need to get out a bit more.

Danderhall Hibs
29-01-2021, 07:20 AM
Actually pretty disappointed. They sing about Alan stubbs having cancer and we do nothing. They sung about killing lennon, we do nothing. They defile Easter road with sectarian filth every time and we do nothing.

We all need to complain to ofcom the next time.

Peevemor
29-01-2021, 07:22 AM
Tiresome?

Whos posts are you talking about now?

I’m furious about the apology. I think it says a lot about us as a club, I don’t like it and I’ve expressed my view on here.

Once again you come saying folk that disagree with you are talking nonsense and being tiresome. Bang out of order.

How was the apology presented? An official letter, a quick email, an sms from one SLO to another?

You don't even know exactly what you're furious about.

And the constant stream of negativity and criticism of anything the club does (or might have done) is tiresome.

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2021, 07:24 AM

:agree: I agreed with every word Irvine said, but as a club we cant be seen to be condoning it, so a private apology is right. :sick:

You dont need to mean any apology, you just need to be seen to be giving one, Hibs have not apologised for me as i loved every bit of what he said.

The Rangers have now opened the door for EVERY club to now pick up on every tiny bit of abuse THEIR supporters hand out, it's now over to the rest of us to do so.

Since90+2
29-01-2021, 07:25 AM
In any case, Irvine Welsh was a great guest who interacted well with Joelle Murray and brought out the best in David Tanner. It's a Hibs programme for Hibs TV subscribers and ST holders.

Let them have their wee apology. If they're classless enough to moan in public so be it.

Hibs won't get into trouble because a guest talks about "sticky buns" and feeding a player to pigeons.

So if someone disagrees with you they need to get out a bit more? Very classy.

I'd suggest the amount of times you post on this site maybe suggests it's yourself who needs to get out a bit more.

WhileTheChief..
29-01-2021, 07:27 AM
You’re splitting hairs.

What difference does it make? It’s the principle that we apologised to them, don’t you see that?

Did you read what Rangers had to say? Did you read that they want our club to be investigated by the authorities? And WE are the ones apologising?!!

How don’t you see that as being a problem?

We should have issued a reply to Rangers saying for them to grow up and take it just like they dish it out. Or we should have said nothing at all. Or we could have said we agree with Irvine, Morelos was an animal on the night.

We had so many options but we go for the soft, easy, Hibs way. Sorry Sir, won’t happen again, please, please let us play with you. It’s sickening.

Peevemor
29-01-2021, 07:28 AM
So if someone disagrees with you they need to get out a bit more? Very classy.

That's not what I said though is it?

I'd suggest the amount of times you post on this site maybe suggests it's yourself who needs to get out a bit more.

I get out plenty thanks. Enough to widen my outlook on things in any case.

Peevemor
29-01-2021, 07:32 AM
You’re splitting hairs.

What difference does it make? It’s the principle that we apologised to them, don’t you see that?

No, not without seeing the apology or the spirit in which it was given.

Did you read what Rangers had to say? Did you read that they want our club to be investigated by the authorities? And WE are the ones apologising?!!

How don’t you see that as being a problem?

The Rangers SLO "talking out of school" on Twitter? I don't care what he says.

We should have issued a reply to Rangers saying for them to grow up and take it just like they dish it out. Or we should have said nothing at all. Or we could have said we agree with Irvine, Morelos was an animal on the night.

We had so many options but we go for the soft, easy, Hibs way. Sorry Sir, won’t happen again, please, please let us play with you. It’s sickening.

No, we should rise above it. Let them moan, Hibs don't care about goings on in the 17th century.

Jones28
29-01-2021, 07:44 AM
:agree: I agreed with every word Irvine said, but as a club we cant be seen to be condoning it, so a private apology is right. :sick:

You dont need to mean any apology, you just need to be seen to be giving one, Hibs have not apologised for me as i loved every bit of what he said.

The Rangers have now opened the door for EVERY club to now pick up on every tiny bit of abuse THEIR supporters hand out, it's now over to the rest of us to do so.

:aok: Super post and sums up my feelings on the matter too.

Optics are what counts, do we really think everyone at Hibs was on a Zoom meeting worrying about Rangers being upset? Of course not, but they had to be seen to do be doing something.

Rangers chose to make it public and then went on to encourage an investigation from the league, so in hindsight we shouldn't have bothered, but it is what it is and like BH says the door is now open for every little thing they do to be scrutinised.

scoopyboy
29-01-2021, 07:45 AM

I'm furious he called them sticky buns, I call them cream buns

MWHIBBIES
29-01-2021, 07:47 AM
Great if we said sorry then had him on next time against them. Then just said sorry again. Then did again.

telford hibbee
29-01-2021, 07:51 AM
On the subject of apologies why are we not asking Gerrard if it has been warm enough to watch the Morelos incident yet,if so what does he think now that he has defrosted?

Peevemor
29-01-2021, 07:53 AM
I'm furious he called them sticky buns, I call them cream buns

Always the currant buns for me.

danhibees1875
29-01-2021, 07:55 AM
Always the currant buns for me.

After their recent outrage perhaps they should now be cross buns?

Carheenlea
29-01-2021, 07:56 AM
On the subject of apologies why are we not asking Gerrard if it has been warm enough to watch the Morelos incident yet,if so what does he think now that he has defrosted?

I’m not interested in playing whataboutery games.

We’ve apologised, unprompted, and probably the respectable thing to do, but that still doesn’t appear to be acceptable enough for Rangers who wish to turn this molehill into a mountain.

We’ve done our bit and best to leave it at that and live by our standards and not lower ourselves to others.

Keith_M
29-01-2021, 08:07 AM
The only thing I've seen is this report in the Evening News

'Rangers SLO Greg Marshall wrote on Twitter: "We are disappointed at the comments made in relation to Alfredo and our club. Hibs have apologised to the club today. Nevertheless, we are sure these comments will be investigated by the football authorities." '
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-apologise-rangers-after-irvine-welsh-comments-about-ibrox-club-and-alfredo-morelos-3116720

I can't find a comment from Hibs, or any details of what they're alleged to have said.

Diclonius
29-01-2021, 08:09 AM
And no doubt when they next come to ER and blast sectarian bull**** for 90 minutes, probably with some new song about Irvine Welsh, we'll just sit back and resume our Dignified Silence™.

An apology is probably merited but we never, EVER stand up for ourselves on anything. It's pathetic.

Pescarese
29-01-2021, 08:15 AM
If I'd been writing the statement it would have apologised hunreservedly.

Keith_M
29-01-2021, 08:18 AM
Serious question for anybody that posted about being annoyed at Hibs' apology.

What is it that Hibs actually said?

:dunno:

WhileTheChief..
29-01-2021, 08:21 AM
we never, EVER stand up for ourselves on anything. It's pathetic.

:top marksIt's embarrassing.

We always go for 'silence' as the right thing to do. It sucks big time.

See if the club stuck up for itself in these kinds of situations, they would get the support back 10 fold. Fans love a cause to rally behind.

What's our cause? To be environmentally friendly or whatever? That really gets the blood pumping eh.

WhileTheChief..
29-01-2021, 08:25 AM
Serious question for anybody that posted about being annoyed at Hibs' apology.

What is it that Hibs actually said?

:dunno:

Nobody knows, it doesn't matter.

We said sorry to them because they asked us to. That's all there is to it.

Since452
29-01-2021, 08:25 AM
Great if we said sorry then had him on next time against them. Then just said sorry again. Then did again.

Would be ****housery at its best

Since452
29-01-2021, 08:27 AM
Hopefully when fans are back we unfurl a massive sticky bun banner

Jones28
29-01-2021, 08:29 AM
The only thing I've seen is this report in the Evening News

'Rangers SLO Greg Marshall wrote on Twitter: "We are disappointed at the comments made in relation to Alfredo and our club. Hibs have apologised to the club today. Nevertheless, we are sure these comments will be investigated by the football authorities." '
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-apologise-rangers-after-irvine-welsh-comments-about-ibrox-club-and-alfredo-morelos-3116720

I can't find a comment from Hibs, or any details of what they're alleged to have said.

Is the only word we have on this from the Sticky Buns or is there anything from the club?

Jones28
29-01-2021, 08:29 AM
Would be ****housery at its best

It would the best thing to do.

easty
29-01-2021, 08:30 AM
Why can’t some people see the difference between what supporters do in the stands, and what an invited guest says on TV?

Hibs haven’t apologised for something Welsh shouted from the stands while at the game, he was an invited guest on our tv channel.

If Irvine Welsh wants to go on Twitter today and say he’s not sorry, and he hopes that after Morelos is cut up, they go for that prick Gerrard next. Then Hibs won’t apologise as it’s nothing to do with us.

We know that Rangers won’t condemn the sectarianism. It’s *****, and it’s Scottish football at its worst. Is that the level we want to set ourselves? Not me.

Peevemor
29-01-2021, 08:31 AM
Is the only word we have on this from the Sticky Buns or is there anything from the club?

That's all that I've seen so far.

Nothing to be furious at the club about.

easty
29-01-2021, 08:32 AM
And no doubt when they next come to ER and blast sectarian bull**** for 90 minutes, probably with some new song about Irvine Welsh, we'll just sit back and resume our Dignified Silence™.

An apology is probably merited but we never, EVER stand up for ourselves on anything. It's pathetic.

Didn’t we stand up for ourselves when Celtc wanted the recent game rearranged? Didn’t we stand up for ourselves when we asked that their players be COVID tested again on the day of the game?

Keith_M
29-01-2021, 08:34 AM
Nobody knows, it doesn't matter.

We said sorry to them because they asked us to. That's all there is to it.

Sorry, but I think it really does matter.

There's an old proverb that goes something like this:

"Anyone that responds to a matter before he has heard it, is a fool unto himself"

If Hibs HAVE made a grovelling apology, then I'll genuinely be raging, but wouldn't it be better to find out the details first, before going off the deep end?

ElginHibbie
29-01-2021, 08:44 AM
Why can’t some people see the difference between what supporters do in the stands, and what an invited guest says on TV?

Hibs haven’t apologised for something Welsh shouted from the stands while at the game, he was an invited guest on our tv channel.

If Irvine Welsh wants to go on Twitter today and say he’s not sorry, and he hopes that after Morelos is cut up, they go for that prick Gerrard next. Then Hibs won’t apologise as it’s nothing to do with us.

We know that Rangers won’t condemn the sectarianism. It’s *****, and it’s Scottish football at its worst. Is that the level we want to set ourselves? Not me.

Exactly!

Someone on here have such a dim view of the club they seem to think they have gone on their knees begging Rangers for forgiveness when really it will just be a token "Sorry about that" in an email someone spent 2 minutes on to avoid this growing arms and legs in the press, we don't need unnecessary distractions like that especially on our current form on the pitch.

A Hi-Bee
29-01-2021, 08:45 AM

I would prefer to be throwing every kind of bun, sticky, currant, hot cross, treacle you name it, every type of bun thrown at the hun the next time they are at E.R.
The huns under the buns.
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Jones28
29-01-2021, 08:47 AM

Or a surfer flag :greengrin

.Sean.
29-01-2021, 08:59 AM
Hope KP feeds back to the board how unhappy the vast majority of us are at pandering to the HUNS again

Sick of us being soft as **** at the top, no wonder it feeds down to the players

.Sean.
29-01-2021, 09:03 AM
Hopefully the ‘Hun ****’ one is still in storage

Chorley Hibee
29-01-2021, 09:04 AM

Their reprehensible behaviour is known to all and sundry, yet nothing happens.

This incident isn't going to shine a light upon something nobody wasn't already aware of.

Rangers and their support will continue down their well trodden road whilst Hibs, and Scottish society in general, continue to turn a blind eye.

No wonder they're so emboldened.

WhileTheChief..
29-01-2021, 09:08 AM
Sorry, but I think it really does matter.

There's an old proverb that goes something like this:

"Anyone that responds to a matter before he has heard it, is a fool unto himself"

If Hibs HAVE made a grovelling apology, then I'll genuinely be raging, but wouldn't it be better to find out the details first, before going off the deep end?

Ach, you're probably right.

But in this case I want to get in early. I rarely rant or moan about the club and definitely do not attack them relentlessly on here, but on this issue, I feel like it's justified.

Skip past the IF in your post and you feel the same as me basically!!

Power
29-01-2021, 09:18 AM
I find it interesting that our fans reps disappear when anything even slightly controversial has happened. It is at times like this that we need the facts regarding what our club is doing to protect itself and players. Things like this build up resentment and starts to alienate the fans from the club, particularly after our semifinal results. Come on Hibernian, it’s time to get the fans on board.

I’ve not heard or seen anything from the club on this matter.

Toxicity thrives on drama (and will focus excessively on any ‘negative experience’ that befalls them). The usual demand of attention to satisfy their high sense of entitlement and inflated egos along the road is not surprising.

As always, happy to pass commentary on to the club.

killie-hibby
29-01-2021, 09:23 AM
At todays pre match press con. I would suggest Hibs have a large TV screen in the room. Without any comment or explanation have Wednesdays assault on Porteous and the blatant penalty missed by Clancy showing on a continuous loop for the duration of the press con.
I would have expected apologies from Clancy for not giving a red card and Gerrard for Morelos's assault. After which Hibs could offer an apology.
Irvine's remarks were tame in comparison to what is regularly published on Follow Follow. Have yet to see the Ibrox club apologising for the filth on that forum.

Keith_M
29-01-2021, 09:24 AM
Ach, you're probably right.

But in this case I want to get in early. I rarely rant or moan about the club and definitely do not attack them relentlessly on here, but on this issue, I feel like it's justified.

Skip past the IF in your post and you feel the same as me basically!!

That's true :greengrin

Sorry to spoil your wee rant

:aok:

ElginHibbie
29-01-2021, 09:38 AM
Irvine's remarks were tame in comparison to what is regularly published on Follow Follow. Have yet to see the Ibrox club apologising for the filth on that forum.

Not defending what they say over there but what fans say online and what a guests say on a club's TV coverage are two completely different things and is just whataboutery.

Few on here were calling for someone to send Morelos off a stretcher the other night and no one is asking Hibs for an apology over that are they?

overdrive
29-01-2021, 09:45 AM
I think Hibs are right to apologise and I don’t think it will be for the sticky bun comment. It will be for the machete comment which could be construed as inciting violence.

Interestingly, though, none of the Rangers fans I know in real life as opposed to online keyboard warriors have taken any offence to the comments. They all find it funny.

Brightside
29-01-2021, 09:46 AM
I'll be surprised if he isnt fined tbh. I also have no idea why he was on the programme.

killie-hibby
29-01-2021, 09:47 AM
Not defending what they say over there but what fans say online and what a guests say on a club's TV coverage are two completely different things and is just whataboutery.

Few on here were calling for someone to send Morelos off a stretcher the other night and no one is asking Hibs for an apology over that are they?

Correct. Hope another authority investigates the historical and continuous filth on FollowFollow.

Since90+2
29-01-2021, 09:49 AM
I'll be surprised if he isnt fined tbh. I also have no idea why he was on the programme.

Who would have the authority to fine him? The Scottish football authorities don't so it would need to be a criminal charge.

overdrive
29-01-2021, 09:50 AM

We should demand an apology from McCoist or ban him from Easter Road if not :wink:

Before anyone asks, it wasn’t a suggested post on my account, I was sent a screenshot.

ElginHibbie
29-01-2021, 09:54 AM
Who would have the authority to fine him? The Scottish football authorities don't so it would need to be a criminal charge.

Ofcom maybe? Though not sure if they have authority over online streams

Imagine the police would at most have a word with him, be a waste of their time anyway

BoomtownHibees
29-01-2021, 09:57 AM

Imagine the police would at most have a word with him, be a waste of their time anyway

I don’t think Hibs TV will be regulated so nothing to do with Ofcom

Hibs90
29-01-2021, 09:58 AM

Ofcom don't regulate Hibs TV.

matty_f
29-01-2021, 09:59 AM
I can't get angry about Hibs apologising, I think it's one of those things that is unpalatable but probably necessary. If you were a neutral and looking at Hibs as a club who are anti-discrimination, then we can't be seen to be advocating the "sticky bun" comment, regardless of our own perceptions on whether the term it refers to is sectarian (and I don't agree that it is), there's enough sources out there to point to that would make that stance contentious at best, and therefore Hibs have to distance themselves from it and condemn it.

I don't think that's pandering to anyone, I just think it's a reasonable thing to do to put the issue to bed and maintain credibility when pushing an anti-discrimination policy.

If anyone thought that the machete comments were inciting violence then it says significantly more about their mindset than it does Irvine Welsh's, I don't even think it's what you'd call a bad taste joke, it's so absurd a thing to say that it's clearly meant to be ridiculous.

matty_f
29-01-2021, 09:59 AM

There was no crime, so the police won't be interested in it.

ElginHibbie
29-01-2021, 10:03 AM
There was no crime, so the police won't be interested in it.

No crime no, but these days they do have to have "words" with people when they post silly things online so if they are getting lots of reports from bored Rangers fans they might just have a "word" to try and stop that

matty_f
29-01-2021, 10:04 AM
No crime no, but these days they do have to have "words" with people when they post silly things online so if they are getting lots of reports from bored Rangers fans they might just have a "word" to try and stop that

True, I suppose.

Keith_M
29-01-2021, 10:06 AM

If anyone thought that the machete comments were inciting violence then it says significantly more about their mindset than it does Irvine Welsh's, I don't even think it's what you'd call a bad taste joke, it's so absurd a thing to say that it's clearly meant to be ridiculous.

From a club that fails to condemn their fans for singing about being 'up to our knees in Fenian blood', that would be a bit of an irony.

Hibs should actually publicly back the part of Welsh's comments about it being nice to go to a game against The Rangers and not have to hear them singing their sectarian ditties, and decry the fact that The Rangers, the SPFL/SFA and the Media continually brush it under the carpet.

WhileTheChief..
29-01-2021, 10:08 AM
I can't get angry about Hibs apologising, I think it's one of those things that is unpalatable but probably necessary. If you were a neutral and looking at Hibs as a club who are anti-discrimination, then we can't be seen to be advocating the "sticky bun" comment, regardless of our own perceptions on whether the term it refers to is sectarian (and I don't agree that it is), there's enough sources out there to point to that would make that stance contentious at best, and therefore Hibs have to distance themselves from it and condemn it.

I don't think that's pandering to anyone, I just think it's a reasonable thing to do to put the issue to bed and maintain credibility when pushing an anti-discrimination policy.

We could have said nothing.

Maintain credibility? Credibility that we are a forward thinking inclusive club you mean?

How about credibility in the fans eyes of not turning over to Rangers at every opportunity.

Sickening and embarrassing with the rest of Scottish football laughing at us again.

matty_f
29-01-2021, 10:08 AM
From a club that fails to condemn their fans for singing about being 'up to our knees in Fenian blood', that would be a bit of an irony.

Hibs should actually publicly back the part of Welsh's comments about it being nice to go to a game against The Rangers and not have to hear them singing their sectarian ditties, and decry the fact that The Rangers, the SPFL/SFA and the Media continually brush it under the carpet.

100% would not be apologising for that part. You can't be upset at people calling you out for singing sectarian songs when you sing sectarian songs.

This is where the sticky bun comment is most contentious though because so many people view it as a sectarian term, that you can't really call out people singing sectarian songs if you yourself are using (perceived) sectarian terms.

For the record, I don't think it's sectarian.

Peevemor
29-01-2021, 10:09 AM

Should they also have a word about stuff he's written in his books?

Peevemor
29-01-2021, 10:10 AM

Maintain credibility? Credibility that we are a forward thinking inclusive club you mean?

How about credibility in the fans eyes of not turning over to Rangers at every opportunity.

Sickening and embarrassing with the rest of Scottish football laughing at us again.

Where's that then?

Seriously.

Jones28
29-01-2021, 10:13 AM
Along with the Sticky Bun surfer can we do a banner with the dictionary definition of Hun? Maybe next time we play the ****ers at easter road they should be hung all along bothwell street and on the bridge.

matty_f
29-01-2021, 10:14 AM

Yeah, credibility that we mean what we say when we stand up against discrimination.

Like it or not (and I don't like it) the term referred to is deemed by many people as sectarian, so don't use it if you are saying you're not discriminatory.

Otherwise you lose credibility. It's contradictory to accept the use of the term at the same time as saying we are anti-discrimination (Lennon at the time he was employed by Hibs likened sectarian abuse to racism, we are active in the Show Racism the Red Card campaign).

I'm not saying I like it, I'm saying I understand why it was necessary and why Hibs would feel the need to distance themselves from the comment, and in the context above, I agree.

I don't want my club to be associated with sectarianism, so that means a zero tolerance policy on it. If there is a term used that is construed by some as sectarian then we, as a club, shouldn't use it, IMHO.

Saying nothing isn't an option in that context either. Saying nothing makes it acceptable and that flies in the face of the policies we have as a club.

We might not like it, but I can't see how the club could do anything other than apologise for that.

The Count
29-01-2021, 10:16 AM
Fans do not dislike him because he is black.This racism is a red herring peddled by the West Coast Media.He is disliked because he is a cheating/dirty player who scowls his way round the pitch.Look at his history since he came here.Over the years i have diliked many a angry Rangers player eg McGregor,Bomber Brown etc and Alfredo joins them and i repeat its not because of his colour of his skin its the type of person.

ElginHibbie
29-01-2021, 10:16 AM

As Begbie and Spud aren't real people I think he'll be fine there

Phil MaGlass
29-01-2021, 10:23 AM
Yeah, credibility that we mean what we say when we stand up against discrimination.

Like it or not (and I don't like it) the term referred to is deemed by many people as sectarian, so don't use it if you are saying you're not discriminatory.

Otherwise you lose credibility. It's contradictory to accept the use of the term at the same time as saying we are anti-discrimination (Lennon at the time he was employed by Hibs likened sectarian abuse to racism, we are active in the Show Racism the Red Card campaign).

I'm not saying I like it, I'm saying I understand why it was necessary and why Hibs would feel the need to distance themselves from the comment, and in the context above, I agree.

I don't want my club to be associated with sectarianism, so that means a zero tolerance policy on it. If there is a term used that is construed by some as sectarian then we, as a club, shouldn't use it, IMHO.

Saying nothing isn't an option in that context either. Saying nothing makes it acceptable and that flies in the face of the policies we have as a club.

We might not like it, but I can't see how the club could do anything other than apologise for that.

But it´s not sectarian though, deemed by a couple of eejits to be does not make it sectarian.
IF we have apologised Hibs can go do one.

Peevemor
29-01-2021, 10:24 AM
Fans do not dislike him because he is black.This racism is a red herring peddled by the West Coast Media.He is disliked because he is a cheating/dirty player who scowls his way round the pitch.Look at his history since he came here.Over the years i have diliked many a angry Rangers player eg McGregor,Bomber Brown etc and Alfredo joins them and i repeat its not because of his colour of his skin its the type of person.

Yep, he definitely has one of those faces ...

matty_f
29-01-2021, 10:30 AM
But it´s not sectarian though, deemed by a couple of eejits to be does not make it sectarian.

I don't think it's sectarian as well, but it's more than a few eejits who say it is, whether we agree or not.

Nil by Mouth, although not popular, are one of the leading anti-sectarianism organisations and they consider it an inappropriate term.

My point is that it's contentious enough to warrant Hibs distancing themselves from it.

There are people who don't think the term "Chinky" is racist because they liken it to "Scots" so i think a club with a strong anti-discrimination policy needs to be squeaky clean with this.

Like I said, I don't like the apology but I can 100% understand why it's necessary and in that respect agree with Hibs for doing it.

Just because Rangers are horrible b***ards, shouldn't mean we lower ourselves to their level.

MartinfaePorty
29-01-2021, 10:32 AM

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/word-hun-not-considered-offensive-8975541

matty_f
29-01-2021, 10:35 AM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/word-hun-not-considered-offensive-8975541

The rest of the article, beyond the headline, goes in to explain how it can be deemed offensive (the SFA fined a Celtic player for saying it) and particularly that care needs to be taken around the use of it as it can be used in a sectarian context.

Edit - and I'm making that point as someone who, as already stated on the thread, does not believe that the term is sectarian. But context is everything.

Hibi
29-01-2021, 10:42 AM
The rest of the article, beyond the headline, goes in to explain how it can be deemed offensive (the SFA fined a Celtic player for saying it) and particularly that care needs to be taken around the use of it as it can be used in a sectarian context.

Edit - and I'm making that point as someone who, as already stated on the thread, does not believe that the term is sectarian. But context is everything.

I certainly never believed it to be a sectarian term. I thought it was a term that described their general behaviour whenever they travelled.

EI255
29-01-2021, 10:43 AM
I think we need to bring Irvine back, especially for the Hun games. If he winds them up then it's a win win situation [emoji4]

Ah the seagulls [emoji23]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Brunswickbill
29-01-2021, 10:44 AM

Welsh will be loving the fact that he has wound up the weegie mob. I wouldn’t be surprised if a South American footballer turns up in a future book. I thought he was great on the show. A bit of a wild card and good entertainment. A genuine Hibby.

MartinfaePorty
29-01-2021, 10:45 AM

Agree 100%, that context is key, but in social media in particular it goes out the window, so people go into full offended mode without taking it into consideration.

Was also the case of the 2 Celtic fans who got off 'Not Proven' for their 'Huns FC' banner, although the prosecution tried to link it to another banner that said 'Let's go to the war', so a bit different from a passing comment on a football club TV channel.

I used the term 'current bun' in the early 1990s in conversation with a colleague that ran a Rangers supporters bus from Kelty and he said he'd never heard it before. He thought it was hilarious.

danhibees1875
29-01-2021, 10:46 AM
Wait, what have we/what do people think we have apologised for?

For using the term "sticky bun"?

I thought it was the comments about chopping him up with a machete that would be more the focus of the apology.

gbhibby
29-01-2021, 10:50 AM
Do we actually need to apologise there is no strict liability in Scottish Football.

Youtube will be worried as some of the stuff on there beggers belief.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2021, 10:50 AM

I'm not clicking on any Daily Record links but if it's trying to suggest that the word "hun" is sectarian then I would argue they are wrong.

I am someone who was brought up in the Church of Scotland (i.e. Protestant) and have never been called a hun in my life.

I can only imagine that it's because what I've always thought is in fact true, which is that a hun is, and always will be, a reference to a player or a fan of Rangers irrespective of their creed, colour or religious beliefs.

Anyone, whether they be black, white, Asian, mixed race, Protestant, Catholic, Hindu or Jewish, who represents Rangers FC is a hun.

neil7908
29-01-2021, 10:57 AM
I'm really sick of Scottish football at the moment and Hibs aren't doing much to lift that gloom.

matty_f
29-01-2021, 10:57 AM
I'm not clicking on any Daily Record links but if it's trying to suggest that the word "hun" is sectarian then I would argue they are wrong.

I am someone who was brought up in the Church of Scotland (i.e. Protestant) and have never been called a hun in my life.

I can only imagine that it's because what I've always thought is in fact true, which is that a hun is, and always will be, a reference to a player or a fan of Rangers irrespective of their creed, colour or religious beliefs.

Anyone, whether they be black, white, Asian, mixed race, Protestant, Catholic, Hindu or Jewish, who represents Rangers FC is a hun.
They’re saying the opposite, that Ofcom deemed it to be mildly offensive and not worth bothering about.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2021, 10:58 AM
They’re saying the opposite, that Ofcom deemed it to be mildly offensive and not worth bothering about.

Ah right thanks I'm shocked the Daily Record is reporting such a story.

I wouldn't have thought it would have suited their readership.

Fuzzywuzzy
29-01-2021, 11:03 AM
I'm confused how the term can be deemed sectarian. It's purely directed at a set of football fans and not protestants as a whole. I'd have no reason to call a Protestant a hun. I'm sure those in our own support have never been called a hun. Thought it all came from a commentator or news articles from the '70's saying the were like 'maurauding huns' as they went on the warpath

Sir David Gray
29-01-2021, 11:10 AM
I'm confused how the term can be deemed sectarian. It's purely directed at a set of football fans and not protestants as a whole. I'd have no reason to call a Protestant a hun. I'm sure those in our own support have never been called a hun. Thought it all came from a commentator or news articles from the '70's saying the were like 'maurauding huns' as they went on the warpath

I've just made the same point on another thread.

I was raised in the Church of Scotland and therefore Protestant and have never been called a hun in my life.

The Captain....
29-01-2021, 11:39 AM
Think it was the ineffectual naval gazers at 'Nil by Mouth' who labeled hun a sectarian term. As far as I can remember it was after the predictable representation by Rangers fans in an attempt to mitigate their own, many and serious sectarian abuses over the years and make themselves look like victims.

I ****ing hate huns just to be clear.

WhileTheChief..
29-01-2021, 11:43 AM
Nil by Mouth, an unelected bunch of nobodies that call themselves a charity.

Why should anyone pay them any attention at all?

WeeRussell
29-01-2021, 11:46 AM

Correct - it's no more sectarian than them referring to us as 'spoon-burners' (which is probably more offensive if anything!). It's a nickname for anyone associated with their horrible hunnish club.

But because the huns want it to be sectarian, there's now been some debate over it.

It isn't. and they will always be huns.

Baader
29-01-2021, 11:48 AM
It's no more sectarian than calling them neanderthals or barbarians which is the context of what it actually means. The Rangers are the ones who have recently been pedalling an agenda to make it seem like some religious slight and allow them to indulge their own vehement and unparalleled actual sectarian nonsense. It fits their fans' perception they are the persecuted ones. It is absolute nonsense.

EdinMike
29-01-2021, 11:53 AM
So we can’t say “Current Bun” but they can sing their drivel ?!... Pot, Kettle, Black.

bringbackbenny
29-01-2021, 12:11 PM
who remembers the forum member who signed off every post as John, Hates the Huns, Inglis? Does he still post, if so he should have a badge of honour :thumbsup: :flag:

Danderhall Hibs
29-01-2021, 12:20 PM

I think that’s the perception but actually they don’t - they don’t even bother with online death threats from accounts with a daft user name.

silverhibee
29-01-2021, 12:21 PM
On a positive note, the apology puts us top of the official club statement league for 2021. Every cloud has a silver lining. :greengrin

Is the apology on the official site. :confused:

silverhibee
29-01-2021, 12:24 PM

Stay home Save Lives.

Carheenlea
29-01-2021, 12:26 PM

I can’t find the post, but KP was on here earlier and while I didn’t fully understand his reply, I wasn’t sure if he was confirming or denying that there was any apology. Certainly isn’t anything on the site last I looked.

JohnMcM
29-01-2021, 12:37 PM

No idea to be honest. Just trying to lighten the mood.:wink:

silverhibee
29-01-2021, 12:42 PM

Just as well LD still isn't in charge, she would have stormed upstairs and thrown Irvine out the door and banned him for life.

Hibs should have said nothing, in the eyes of the law he has done nothing wrong, if people want to pretend "Hun" is offensive then the polis would get involved, so far nothing from them, just drivel from The RanGers and media and the "we don't care nobody likes us brigade", nobody like a grass, eh Huns.

Chorley Hibee
29-01-2021, 12:42 PM
Nil by Mouth, the Glasgow centric charity who repeatedly infer sectarianism is a problem amongst all supports (in a bid to shine the spotlight elsewhere) rather than upon the big red, white and blue elephant in the room.

They're part of the problem.

southern hibby
29-01-2021, 12:45 PM
I've just made the same point on another thread.

I was raised in the Church of Scotland and therefore Protestant and have never been called a hun in my life.

I too am the same as yourself. Never ever been called a Hun. Maybe wee should stop calling them Hun’s and start calling them what they really are, Neanderthal Religious sectarian Biggots.

GGTTH

bigwheel
29-01-2021, 12:46 PM
Nil by Mouth, the Glasgow centric charity who repeatedly infer sectarianism is a problem amongst all supports - rather than the big red, white and blue elephant in the room.

They're part of the problem.

Sectarian nonsense is dominantly an old firm thing. But it happens across Scotland in almost every ground and town/city ..it’s amazing the teams that I’ve heard shout the likes of “fenian *******s” at us ..

Carheenlea
29-01-2021, 12:46 PM
Rather than get bogged down with what or what’s not acceptable terminology, is it not just easier to call them *****?

Chorley Hibee
29-01-2021, 12:59 PM
Sectarian nonsense is dominantly an old firm thing. But it happens across Scotland in almost every ground and town/city ..it’s amazing the teams that I’ve heard shout the likes of “fenian *******s” at us ..

They're notorious fence sitters.

On every occasion they've had to make comment upon an incident surrounding Rangers/Celtic they always try to implicate others as a problem too.

They even lumped Hibs in with it a few years ago.

Hun appeasement tactics.

silverhibee
29-01-2021, 01:00 PM
Nil by Mouth, an unelected bunch of nobodies that call themselves a charity.

Why should anyone pay them any attention at all?

:agree:

silverhibee
29-01-2021, 01:05 PM
No idea to be honest. Just trying to lighten the mood.:wink:

:thumbsup:

29-01-2021, 01:07 PM
Was Irvine not just being affectionate? Hun is short for honey, particularly in the US where he spends a lot of his time. It's a term of endearment.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hun

gbhibby
29-01-2021, 01:26 PM
I think back at the time of the first World War both bigot brothers used to use the term against each other.
The Rangers side was that they deemed the Irish were sympathetic to the Germans. Probably the other side because of their allegiance to the house of Hanover which changed its name to Windsor in 1917.

Skol
29-01-2021, 01:45 PM
We can debate all day about the rights and wrongs of what was said.

Bottom line for me is that its OK chat down the pub, but shouldnt be part of an official broadcast by the club. Welsh has put Hibs in a very awkward position.

drumatic44
29-01-2021, 01:51 PM

Bottom line for me is that its OK chat down the pub, but shouldnt be part of an official broadcast by the club. Welsh has put Hibs in a very awkward position.
Trouble with all this stuff is that it totally diverts attention away from the Morelos stamp, no one is talking about that now it's all about Irvine Welsh, where are the back pages on it now ??. Let's face it is there a more odious footballer on the planet , him and the rangers are well suited . !!

Stuart93
29-01-2021, 01:54 PM
Trouble with all this stuff is that it totally diverts attention away from the Morelos stamp, no one is talking about that now it's all about Irvine Welsh, where are the back pages on it now ??. Let's face it is there a more odious footballer on the planet , him and the rangers are well suited . !!

That’s exactly why the rangers fans, media etc are concentrating on that, to deflect from the morelos stamp

Jim44
29-01-2021, 01:58 PM

I made exactly the same point here yesterday. Because of the clever diversion, Morelos’s assault has disappeared like snow off a dyke.

Argylehibby
29-01-2021, 01:58 PM

:agree: Exactly! Rangers are laughing at all of this because the attention is off of the real villan. I've not checked up but assume there has been no notice of complaint served as yet?

gbhibby
29-01-2021, 02:01 PM
I think back at the time of the first World War both bigot brothers used to use the term against each other.
The Rangers side was that they deemed the Irish were sympathetic to the Germans. Probably the other side because of their allegiance to the house of Hanover which changed its name to Windsor in 1917.
Oscar I remember reading the above in an article some years ago. Saxe Coburg still had links to Germany so they changed the name to Windsor as it was still linked to Germany.

Remember the Euro 96 when Germany won when the Queen presented the trophy some German newspapers saying that the trophy was presented to Germany from a fellow German

Since90+2
29-01-2021, 02:01 PM

Agreed.

If he doesn't come out with this stuff the focus is on Morelos and Rangers getting away with another decision.

Onion
29-01-2021, 02:52 PM
That’s exactly why the rangers fans, media etc are concentrating on that, to deflect from the morelos stamp

Precisely, and the media are more than delighted to do their bidding. The whole Sevco team was physically assaulted at Hampden in May 2016, don't you know ?

neil7908
29-01-2021, 04:20 PM
Wonder if we'll get an apology from the ref or Sevco for the Morelos incident? I'd suggest we hold off on future apologies until they are reciprocal.

WeeRussell
29-01-2021, 04:24 PM
I too am the same as yourself. Never ever been called a Hun. Maybe wee should stop calling them Hun’s and start calling them what they really are, Neanderthal Religious sectarian Biggots.

GGTTH

Like it. Maybe we could call them ‘huns’ for short though? 😉

southern hibby
29-01-2021, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=WeeRussell;6442431]Like it. Maybe we could call them ‘huns’ for short though? 😉[/QUOTE

Not sure why but I genuinely think this will catch on..... 😉

GGTTH

Keith_M
29-01-2021, 05:14 PM
My Missus is German and I refer to her as 'My Wee Hun'.

She thinks it's sweet.

Please, nobody tell her! :wink:

bawheid
29-01-2021, 05:38 PM
If it were up to me Hibs would refer to them as Huns in all communications.

Match programme: Hibernian v The Huns
Tanner: “Well, Hibs are up against The Huns in this afternoons match.”
Jack Ross: “The Huns have had an exceptional season but I’m disappointed we didn’t take anything out of the game.”
Official statements: The Huns should wind their necks in and get their own house in order before complaining about anyone else.

Huns. Huns. Huns.

For it is what they are.

gbhibby
29-01-2021, 06:44 PM
NEWSFLASH
Bakers shops in Glasgow have been advised not to advertise Chelsea Buns, Sticky Buns, Currant Buns, Belgian Buns or Cinnamon Buns by the Police as it may cause offence to some customers.

Iggy Pope
29-01-2021, 07:01 PM

I made exactly the same point here yesterday. Because of the clever diversion, Morelos’s assault has disappeared like snow off a dyke.

:agree: Exactly! Rangers are laughing at all of this because the attention is off of the real villan. I've not checked up but assume there has been no notice of complaint served as yet?

Agreed.

If he doesn't come out with this stuff the focus is on Morelos and Rangers getting away with another decision.

Seems the focus is still on Morelos being charged after all though.

uwxm07
29-01-2021, 07:16 PM
NEWSFLASH
Bakers shops in Glasgow have been advised not to advertise Chelsea Buns, Sticky Buns, Currant Buns, Belgian Buns or Cinnamon Buns by the Police as it may cause offence to some customers.

Apparently Valentine cards with the phrase you’re my “ Hun” are being pulled off the shelves as we speak