PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is a Big Game..?

LustForLeith
27-01-2021, 03:20 PM
I’ve seen this term get banded about quite a lot in recent months when it comes to Jack Ross and I don’t get it.

Shouldn’t every game Hibs play be classed as a ‘big game’? When did we start to classify games? What is a medium game or a small game?

I’d be grateful if someone can clarify this for me because just now it feels like it’s getting banded about in forums and social media by folk who don’t actually know what it means?

Thanks

Diclonius
27-01-2021, 03:26 PM
Any game v Hearts, the OF or, more recently, Aberdeen.

Cup semi final or final.

Game that would clinch a European place, top six (if close), lower division title, playoff place, etc.

European tie.

The Modfather
27-01-2021, 03:26 PM
I’ve seen this term get banded about quite a lot in recent months when it comes to Jack Ross and I don’t get it.

Shouldn’t every game Hibs play be classed as a ‘big game’? When did we start to classify games? What is a medium game or a small game?

I’d be grateful if someone can clarify this for me because just now it feels like it’s getting banded about in forums and social media by folk who don’t actually know what it means?

Thanks

For me, derbies, semi finals & finals and Aberdeen as the team we want to start to finish above consistently.

All games are important but a lot of the time our next game is described as “must win” or a “big game” when in the scheme of things it’s probably closer to a run of the mill league game v Motherwell or some such.

Like what Is success, I don’t think there’s any one answer. A big game means different things to different people.

Since452
27-01-2021, 03:32 PM
Every game we play is of massive importance unless say a Betfred cup group game and we'd already qualified. Obviously the derby holds more importance with tha fans. Outwith those examples I'd treat them all as big.

danhibees1875
27-01-2021, 03:32 PM
Are games against Rangers and Celtic big games?

Dundee United, and moreso Aberdeen, over the coming weekends would feel to me like bigger games. Doubly so given we're having to watch them all on TV - so the atmosphere of hatred and having a large away support doesn't give the OF games that feeling of being big.

Rangers was a big game in the 2015-2017 era when they were curtailed somewhat but they've got their act together now and the financial gulf feels as big as ever - that disparity and the lack of likelihood or expectation of winning devalues the game a bit I feel.

Danderhall Hibs
27-01-2021, 03:33 PM
If we win tonight (I know) it’ll be dismissed as not big enough due to them having already won the league.

flash
27-01-2021, 03:41 PM
One that involves Hibs.

Broken Gnome
27-01-2021, 03:44 PM
Routinely, I'd see any game as a big one where not winning risks us becoming stuck in a rut or bad run. Similarly where we need a result to keep in touch with a side above us, or take advantage of their bad results.

They're all big games really. I'm over the moon winning a game at home to Hamilton as it's three more points in a league where it's easy to drop them.

Carheenlea
27-01-2021, 03:44 PM
In the league - any game that by winning the rewards are more than just 3 points on the board.

In the cup - any opportunity to progress, but more so in the latter stages and ultimately a one-off game to win a major trophy.

Tonight’s a big game in sense that normally you’d see a full house against a very good side and the runaway league leaders, with a raucous atmosphere against a club we all hate.
Big occasion perhaps rather than big game in the context of the league from our perspective.

Caversham Green
27-01-2021, 03:45 PM
Any game where league points or progression in a tournament is at stake is a big game.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-01-2021, 03:47 PM
Funnily enough in today’s parlance it’s all down to contact any game can be a “massive game” but only certain games can be deemed a “Big Game” unless of course even the Big Game is demoted to meaningless if the wheels really have come off the cart.

Stuart93
27-01-2021, 03:49 PM

Cup semi final or final.

Game that would clinch a European place, top six (if close), lower division title, playoff place, etc.

European tie.

Agree with this. Basically most of the games this season where we have a poor record 👀

we are hibs
27-01-2021, 03:51 PM
Hearts, Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, semi finals and finals. European games and a few others depending on circumstances (dundee utd away 2010 to qualify for europe as an example). They are the one that attracts the biggest crowds and the ones that can propel you forward and gives the fans and club a buzz or can send you the other way.

RoYO!
27-01-2021, 03:52 PM
Every game is important.

But not every game is a big game imo.

I actually think this is an important clarification.

Hibs lose more big games than they win.

B.H.F.C
27-01-2021, 03:57 PM
Generally the ones where, when fans are allowed in, more people go. In all my time supporting Hibs that’s been Hearts, Rangers and Celtic. A win in any of those games is more than three points to the support. I don’t buy in to the ‘it’s bigger to the fans than the club’ thing. At the end of the day, it’s the fans that the club need to keep happy and the club get the benefit in return.

Aberdeen has become bigger lately because they generally occupy the spot we want.

A cup semi final or a game to clinch a European place speaks for itself.

houstonhibbee
27-01-2021, 04:04 PM

Thanks
A pregnant pheasant?

calumhibee1
27-01-2021, 04:09 PM

Cup semi final or final.

European tie.

Yup.

Basically, if the club prices it, and by extension see it as a bigger game, as if it’s a bigger game then it’s a bigger game.

Then you can throw in the same fixtures that they do that but away from home, games at Hampden and games in Europe.

‘Non-big games’ can become big games if something more than a run of the mill 3 points is at stake - last game of the season to win the league, to qualify for Europe or to avoid relegation etc

The Modfather
27-01-2021, 04:12 PM
Yup.

Basically, if the club prices it, and by extension see it as a bigger game, as if it’s a bigger game then it’s a bigger game.

Then you can throw in the same fixtures that they do that but away from home, games at Hampden and games in Europe.

‘Non-big games’ can become big games if something more than a run of the mill 3 points is at stake - last game of the season to win the league, to qualify for Europe or to avoid relegation etc

That’s a tight league if on the last game you can either win the league or get relegated :greengrin

Allez Hibs
27-01-2021, 04:19 PM

Cup semi final or final.

European tie.

This is the way I see it 👍

Diclonius
27-01-2021, 04:30 PM
If we win tonight (I know) it’ll be dismissed as not big enough due to them having already won the league.

No, it won't!

Keith_M
27-01-2021, 04:47 PM

Thanks

Surely it's all just a matter of opinion.

What's a 'big game' to one person might not be to another.

Carheenlea
03-02-2021, 10:57 AM
Saturdays fixture against Aberdeen definitely falls into the “big game” category.

Just 3 points to the winner, but there is more than just that up for grabs. With a two point advantage a win for Hibs would be a big step forward in our quest for third place putting 5 points between the two clubs , but a defeat sees Aberdeen overtake us and the negativity surrounding that will just cast a gloom over Hibs. Not that the race for third would be over, but Aberdeen would then probably be favourites, but we win, confidence is raised, have a nice buffer to accommodate a duff result somewhere along the way and Jack Ross gets a “Big game” monkey off his back.

Lots to play for and thoroughly looking forward to it.

Gordy M
03-02-2021, 11:00 AM

Cup semi final or final.

European tie.

How is the semi any different from any other round in the cup?

NC1875
03-02-2021, 11:03 AM

You are one game away from a cup final which you aren’t in the early rounds.

Hence it being a big game

Unseen work
03-02-2021, 11:04 AM
Any game that we lose...

Jones28
03-02-2021, 11:04 AM
Aberdeen, Derbies and semi-finals/finals.

Old Firm games are a free hit, they aren't our direct competition. "Category A games are big games" is a bit of a stretch to me.

Keith_M
03-02-2021, 11:38 AM

Imagine you're out on the pull. You've had a good wash, for a change, sprayed on the Brut/Chanel/Paco-Rabane, put on your best bib and tucker, brushed what's left of your hair and arrived at the night club.

Scenario 1) There's no available talent, so you have a laugh with your mates, a wee drink and go home early, hoping that next Friday has a better outcome.

-- You've gone out in Round 1.

Scenario 2) There's a group of girls in the corner so, after a couple of pints for Dutch Courage, you casually saunter over, trying to look suave and sophisticated. The girls look you up and down, look at each other and giggle contemptuously. You slowly walk back to your mates, who are filled with sympathy (aye right!) and you feel disappointed and a bit embarrassed. Oh well, there's always Friday, I suppose

-- You've gone out in Round 2.

Scenario 3) There's a girl in the corner of the nightclub that's been giving you the eye. You suavely saunter across and give her your best patter. The conversation's going quite well, she's already touched your arm a couple of times, so you think you're really on to something here. You decide to switch to your 'world acclaimed' sense of humour... then make the mistake of telling her the 'Two Nuns in the bath joke'. She giggles, nervously, and tells you she's going to the Bathroom. After 30 minutes, you realise she might not be coming back anytime soon.

You think, 'Damnit, I was so close and blew it, again!'

-- You've gone out in the Quarter Finals.

Scenario 4) As with Scenario 3, but this time you don't make the mistake of telling any Nun jokes. She thinks you're amazing (so obviously she's drunk), asks you to dance, then pulls you into the corner for a snog. Oh no, you just realise you had Spaghetti aglo ollio for dinner... and your breath's reeking of Garlic!

She pulls away, renches a bit and turns a funny shade of green. You realise the evening's over and head for the Taxi Rank.

-- You've just gone out in the Semi Final.

Scenario 5) Everything's gone great, you just pulled a right wee dolly bird and are heading back to her place in the Taxi. You arrive at the front door of her flat, she pulls out her keys and, in an overwhelming combination of triumph and Sambuca, you pull her toward you and say "I really want you, June."

To which she replies, with disgust in her eyes, "June? Ma name's Fiona, ya f.....n pr...", goes inside and slams the door in disgust. You think to yourself "So near and yet, so flippin far!"

-- You just blew it in the Final.

I hope that helps.

:aok:

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2021, 11:41 AM
Imagine you're out on the pull. You've had a good wash, for a change, sprayed on the Brut/Chanel/Paco-Rabane, put on your best bib and tucker, brushed what's left of your hair and arrived at the night club.

Scenario 1) There's no available talent, so you have a laugh with your mates, a wee drink and go home early, hoping that next Friday has a better outcome.

Scenario 2) There's a group of girls in the corner so, after a couple of pints for Dutch Courage, you casually saunter over, trying to look suave and sophisticated. The girls look you up and down, look at each other and giggle contemptuously. You slowly walk back to your mates, who are filled with sympathy (aye right!) and you feel disappointed and a bit embarrassed. Oh well, there's always Friday, I suppose

Scenario 3) There's a girl in the corner of the nightclub that's been giving you the eye. You suavely saunter across and give her your best patter. The conversation's going quite well, she's already touched your arm a couple of times, so you think you're really on to something here. You decide to switch to your 'world acclaimed' sense of humour... then make the mistake of telling her the 'Two Nuns in the bath joke'. She giggles, nervously, and tells you she's going to the Bathroom. After 30 minutes, you realise she might not be coming back anytime soon.

Scenario 4) As with Scenario 3, but this time you don't make the mistake of telling any Nun jokes. She thinks you're amazing (so obviously she's drunk), asks you to dance, then pulls you into the corner for a snog. Oh no, you just realise you had Spaghetti aglo ollio for dinner... and your breath's reeking of Garlic!

She pulls away, renches a bit and turns a funny shade of green. You realise the evening's over and head for the Taxi Rank.

Scenario 5) Everything's gone great, you just pulled a right wee dolly bird and are heading back to her place in the Taxi. You arrive at the front door of her flat, she pulls out her keys and, in an overwhelming combination of triumph and Sambuca, you pull her toward you and say "I really want you, June."

To which she replies, with disgust in her eyes, "June? Ma name's Fiona, ya f.....n pr...", goes inside and slams the door in disgust. You think to yourself "So near and yet, so flippin far!"

I hope that helps.

:faf::top marks

Stanton Spence
03-02-2021, 11:45 AM
Twister [emoji849]

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Jones28
03-02-2021, 11:50 AM

I hope that helps.

Are these the keys to her air raid shelter by any chance?

Not In The Know
03-02-2021, 11:54 AM

Thanks

Id say this Saturday V Aberdeen is huge.

DH1875
03-02-2021, 12:49 PM
Big game :agree::greengrin

Northernhibee
03-02-2021, 12:56 PM

I think it's more of a "huge game" for Aberdeen than for us - a draw in the grand scheme of things doesn't do our challenge for 3rd much damage as we're still to play again and are on a good run. Another game undefeated isn't bad.

Aberdeen are beginning to have a bit of a slump and they need to find winning ways again before the rot sets in. For me it's a "do not lose" game for us but a "must win" game for them. A draw keeps momentum in our favour, a win would be brilliant though.

WeeRussell
03-02-2021, 01:10 PM
I think it's more of a "huge game" for Aberdeen than for us - a draw in the grand scheme of things doesn't do our challenge for 3rd much damage as we're still to play again and are on a good run. Another game undefeated isn't bad.

Aberdeen are beginning to have a bit of a slump and they need to find winning ways again before the rot sets in. For me it's a "do not lose" game for us but a "must win" game for them. A draw keeps momentum in our favour, a win would be brilliant though.

You may be right - but I'd still argue it's as big a game for us as it is for Aberdeen. Actually quite looking forward to it this early in the week, which hasn't been as common for me during the covid days :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
03-02-2021, 02:11 PM
Any game against Hearts ... for obvious reasons.

Any game against either arse cheek, because gaining points against either one is a bonus and it's always good for moral to beat them.

Any semi final, coz winning it puts you 90 minutes away from winning something and also possibly a route into Europe.

Any game in Europe.

A game like this Saturday coming. If we are 8th trailing the sheep by 15 points then it's just another game, when we are in a direct fight with them for 3rd a head to head means the 3 points are far more significant.

So far Jack Ross's Hibs have never beaten either ugly sister, have lost two semi finals against beatable opponents, have one win in 3 derbies and have lost both games to Aberdeen this season .... If the OP was prompted to ask 'what constitutes a big game' because of folk questioning Jack Ross's record in them that Hibs record on the back of the same question being asked of him as Sunderland manager makes me think it's a reasonable question to be asking. Not, what exactly is a big game, but is Jack Ross's poor record in them something to be concerned about.

Allez Hibs
03-02-2021, 02:19 PM
Games against Rangers Celtic Hearts Aberdeen and Cup Semi Finals or Finals.

Not In The Know
05-02-2021, 07:50 AM

It’s certainly not make or break for our league campaign or even Jack Ross. But he and the players need to step up and lay a marker down with three points.

Basically for the first time this season.

PatHead
05-02-2021, 07:53 AM
Games against Rangers Celtic Hearts Aberdeen and Cup Semi Finals or Finals.

A fair chance our next game against Livingston will be a big game too.

Pagan Hibernia
05-02-2021, 08:16 AM
While it might be pragmatic to suggest that every game is a Big Game, we all know that’s not the case.

football fans know instinctively which are the big games and which ones aren’t. You know by the feeling in your gut in the days leading up to it, the sense of anticipation, the higher attendances, and the atmosphere on match day. to say every game is as big as each other simply isn’t true.

calumhibee1
05-02-2021, 08:17 AM
While it might be pragmatic to suggest that every game is a Big Game, we all know that’s not the case.

football fans know instinctively which are the big games and which ones aren’t. You know by the feeling in your gut in the days leading up to it, the sense of anticipation, the higher attendances, and the atmosphere on match day. to say every game is as big as each other simply isn’t true.

:agree:

Keith_M
05-02-2021, 08:22 AM
I think it depends entirely on the Font Size used.

For example, this isn't a big game

Hamlton v Hibs

Whereas this quite clearly is.

Hibs v Aberdeen

Forza Fred
05-02-2021, 08:45 AM
An elephant?

Ozyhibby
05-02-2021, 09:08 AM
This Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith_M
05-02-2021, 09:14 AM
An elephant?

:faf:

hibbyfraelibby
05-02-2021, 09:29 AM
A big game is somewhere between a run of the mill game and an absolutely massive game.