PDA

View Full Version : Hibs players crocked - retired but then resurrected...

Viva_Palmeiras
15-01-2021, 08:05 PM
It happens - player crocked / at end of career then leave the club / have contract terminated - potentially involving a payoff). Nothing suspect on that.

The crocks I’m kinda curious about are those that rose once again to play but elsewhere...

Crocks (the resurrection squad)
- Bryan Gunn (I think left with best wishes)
- Clancy (the one that will I suspect Incurr the most flack)
- mcCann
- Al Agui?

The unfortunate career ending crocks:
- Mark Demspie
- Jonathon Bailie
- Chris Reid (? Not too sure what happened after the ankle break)
- Orman (not too sure if his Epilepsy meant his career drew short?)

Probably many others I’ve missed...

Pedantic_Hibee
15-01-2021, 08:08 PM
Tim Clancy once mocked my broken toe on Twitter. True story.

Dick.

BILLYHIBS
15-01-2021, 08:11 PM
Gordon Smith

The 90+2
15-01-2021, 08:14 PM
Who was the left back that got an injury when Derek Collins was right back?

The 90+2
15-01-2021, 08:15 PM
My mate Kev would have been a better player had it been for two mental injuries also. Dens Park was the worst I’ve seen.

brog
15-01-2021, 08:16 PM
Who was the left back that got an injury when Derek Collins was right back?

Tom Smith

B.H.F.C
15-01-2021, 08:17 PM
I think Orman went on to play in the Champions League after he left Hibs.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-01-2021, 08:22 PM
Tom Smith

And then there was Michael Hart - was he ever fit?

Viva_Palmeiras
15-01-2021, 08:23 PM
And that twally that played more rounds of golf than games at Hibs - Tudor-Jones - didn’t he even admit that he knew his legs were gone as he signed?

Viva_Palmeiras
15-01-2021, 08:25 PM

Dick.

He just wanted an out. Don’t have a lorra time for him esp when low abs behold he ended up playing again (was it not for St J I forget)

Bridge hibs
15-01-2021, 08:27 PM
Think I remember a player, Hendry ? Got a broken leg on his debut at Berwick, could be wrong with the name though, unsure if he kicked another ball for hibs again

Iggy Pope
15-01-2021, 08:36 PM
Think I remember a player, Hendry ? Got a broken leg on his debut at Berwick, could be wrong with the name though, unsure if he kicked another ball for hibs again

Ian. Played less than a minute?

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2021, 08:36 PM
He just wanted an out. Don’t have a lorra time for him esp when low abs behold he ended up playing again (was it not for St J I forget)

He never left us because he was injured. It wasn't a retiring thing.

Diclonius
15-01-2021, 08:37 PM

Dick.

What was the story behind that?

Bridge hibs
15-01-2021, 08:40 PM
Ian. Played less than a minute?That could be the one mate yes, less than a minute, ouch, did he ever play at a decent level again or was that him done ?

kevinc
15-01-2021, 08:50 PM

Iain Hendry, made one further sub appearance the following season

Iggy Pope
15-01-2021, 08:51 PM
That could be the one mate yes, less than a minute, ouch, did he ever play at a decent level again or was that him done ?

Happened right in front of me too, but if he had walked past me in the street I wouldn’t have known him.
According to iHibs he made a sub appearance towards the end of the next season and that was that, but I’ve no recollection. Looks like he moved to English non-league.

https://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6278

Gaffer1875
15-01-2021, 08:59 PM
What was the story with Baillie? I remember him being awesome against Celtic in the cup when he was up against Larsson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones28
15-01-2021, 09:04 PM

Dick.

Well...which one did you break?

blaikie
15-01-2021, 09:35 PM
Fabián Yantorno

We have him a chance when Gretna went bust, I’m sure his knee injury was horrendously bad and never fully recovered hence him being released. But I’m sure he had a decent career back home in South America after that.

CMurdoch
15-01-2021, 09:55 PM

To be fair he didn't play many games after leaving Hibs. Injuries followed him to St Johnstone.

Something good did eventually happen to him. He became manager of Drogheda in Ireland and last season they won the 1st Division and were promoted to the Premier League.

CMurdoch
15-01-2021, 10:03 PM
Fabián Yantorno

We have him a chance when Gretna went bust, I’m sure his knee injury was horrendously bad and never fully recovered hence him being released. But I’m sure he had a decent career back home in South America after that.

Really good player but as you say his knee injury was horrendous and Gretna didn't look after him.
Was never close to being the same player again.

Lancs Harp
15-01-2021, 10:28 PM
Really good player but as you say his knee injury was horrendous and Gretna didn't look after him.
Was never close to being the same player again.

Didnt he go to Hartlepool after us? They were a league club in those days.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-01-2021, 10:28 PM
What was the story with Baillie? I remember him being awesome against Celtic in the cup when he was up against Larsson.

I think it was his back...?

The 90+2
15-01-2021, 10:35 PM
Tom Smith

Yep. Great wee player.

jacomo
15-01-2021, 11:23 PM

He was but he had to give up the game before his career really started. People all spoke so highly of him. A real shame.

CMurdoch
15-01-2021, 11:27 PM
Didnt he go to Hartlepool after us? They were a league club in those days.

He did but didn't last long. They didn't do their homework so he got another few quid before returning to South America.

The 90+2
15-01-2021, 11:27 PM
He was but he had to give up the game before his career really started. People all spoke so highly of him. A real shame.

Just like and not as talented as a player I played with but not naming but was the best defender I’ve ever seen in my life and a real real talent and a great guy. Bailie was next in like a year or two younger and I’m sure is still best mate with Scott Brown.

NASAHIBS
16-01-2021, 12:00 AM

Ended up playing with a couple of Ayrshire junior teams, Troon and Whitletts Vics. Also laterly managed Troon.

Future17
16-01-2021, 06:48 AM

Dick.

Well...which one did you break?

I really hope it was his toe.

H18 SFR
16-01-2021, 06:58 AM
Orman left hibs and played in the champions league. He had a great game at Arsenal’s old stadium.

jacomo
16-01-2021, 09:26 AM
James McPake seemed finished when he left us but played on for a few seasons.

Dan Sarf
16-01-2021, 09:41 AM
Gordon Smith

Twice.

ancient hibee
16-01-2021, 09:52 AM
Twice.

Gordon Smith of course had no intention of stopping playing. Hibs freed him because they didn’t want to pay for an op.I mean why should the club help it’s greatest ever player! He paid for it himself and joined Hearts.After they won the league Hearts,being Hearts,sold him to Dundee for £10,000.

scm70nyd1973
16-01-2021, 09:54 AM
Yep. Great wee player.

Genuinely a really great guy too - I used to play 5 aside with him and his brother in Glasgow - got to know him well and couldn’t believe it when he signed for us. Provided the cross which led to a visit from the tooth fairy for one of our favourite European players IIRC 🤭

Fuzzywuzzy
16-01-2021, 10:13 AM
Chris was a actuary manager at Scottish widows when I was there in 2003

BILLYHIBS
16-01-2021, 10:29 AM
Twice.
:agree:

Won the League and League Cup with Hearts and the League with Dundee

As others have said paid for his own op which I am sure was performed by our very own Sir John Bruce

Nuts!

DaveF
16-01-2021, 10:36 AM

He did an interview last year about it all.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/jonathan-baillie-opens-hibs-career-tragedy-brothers-death-rod-petries-kindness-and-match-against-celtic-2855917%3famp

Pretty Boy
16-01-2021, 10:36 AM
Chris Reid definitely played again after leaving Hibs. Hamilton and Stirling Albion then the juniors. Worked with my Dad for a while at Scottish Widows. I'm sure his last game for Hibs was the 6-2 defeat at Motherwell that finally saw Duffy sacked.

Bryan Gunnnever played again. Hairline fracture forced him to retire. He was well past it when he pitched up at Hibs.

Peevemor
16-01-2021, 10:43 AM
Chris Reid definitely played again after leaving Hibs. Hamilton and Stirling Albion then the juniors. Worked with my Dad for a while at Scottish Widows. I'm sure his last game for Hibs was the 6-2 defeat at Motherwell that finally saw Duffy sacked.

Bryan Gunnnever played again. Hairline fracture forced him to retire. He was well past it when he pitched up at Hibs.I don't remember Gunn being bad at all for Hibs (I could be wrong though). He definitely seemed like the sort of character you want to have around.

danger1875
16-01-2021, 11:03 AM
Mark McGraw, played a stormer against Dunfermline just before we played them in the cup final but broke his leg before the final and was never the same player again

The 90+2
16-01-2021, 11:32 AM
Genuinely a really great guy too - I used to play 5 aside with him and his brother in Glasgow - got to know him well and couldn’t believe it when he signed for us. Provided the cross which led to a visit from the tooth fairy for one of our favourite European players IIRC 🤭

Great goal. Half delighted and half felt sad for Le God.

matty_f
16-01-2021, 11:40 AM

Dick.

:faf: never meet your heroes, eh?

wookie70
16-01-2021, 01:29 PM
Ian. Played less than a minute?

I was in the main stand that day. I can still remember the crack his leg made as it broke. I'm sure he never played for Hibs again and I think it was his debut. I think the break happened almost immediately after Kick Off

Bridge hibs
16-01-2021, 07:45 PM
Happened right in front of me too, but if he had walked past me in the street I wouldn’t have known him.
According to iHibs he made a sub appearance towards the end of the next season and that was that, but I’ve no recollection. Looks like he moved to English non-league.

https://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6278Thanks for the info mate, Wow thats a debut !!

IberianHibernian
16-01-2021, 09:02 PM
I was in the main stand that day. I can still remember the crack his leg made as it broke. I'm sure he never played for Hibs again and I think it was his debut. I think the break happened almost immediately after Kick OffThat`s the way I remember it too . 31st January 1981 I think . Fixtures were strange as we`d played there on 1st January too . Had taken a big crowd there for cup QF the previous year ( 0 - 0 I think with Best playing , main thing I remember is being marched from station to stadium by police by English police with songs about search for Yorkshire Ripper ) .