PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

Dunbar Hibee
15-01-2021, 12:07 PM
🆕 Lewis Stevenson has agreed a new contract that will run until at least the summer of 2022.

📈 It comes in the week that the long-serving left-back recorded his 500th appearance for The Hibees.

💚 A legend. On and off the pitch.

🏆🏆

.Sean.
15-01-2021, 12:08 PM
Excellent

Diclonius
15-01-2021, 12:08 PM
Lewis Stevenson

Seveno
15-01-2021, 12:12 PM
Brilliant :aok:

matty_f
15-01-2021, 12:13 PM
That's great news, love the guy.

15-01-2021, 12:21 PM
Great news. 🙂

Shrekko
15-01-2021, 12:24 PM
A sensible move and it’s great news he’s going to be around for a while longer. Still playing at a good level, and with 2 young lads vying for the same position they couldn’t have a better role model.

B.H.F.C
15-01-2021, 12:27 PM
A sensible move and it’s great news he’s going to be around for a while longer. Still playing at a good level, and with 2 young lads vying for the same position they couldn’t have a better role model.

Would question whether we can afford to continue to carry three left backs.

With Stevenson still being around, wonder if Mackie’s time could be up.

H18 SFR
15-01-2021, 12:31 PM

I think that would be a logical suggestion.

Doig is the future, Stevenson to mentor etc. Sensible contract extension.

Tricla
15-01-2021, 12:32 PM
:top marks

04Sauzee
15-01-2021, 12:34 PM
Absolutely delighted, met him a few times just our and about and he's a genuinely nice guy, also a fantastic servant to the club.

📈 Evergreen Lewis Stevenson is still producing the goods.

📊 Compared to other Premiership left-backs (>300 minutes this season), Lewis...

✅ Tops the league in passing accuracy (84%), dribble success (80%) and challenge success (68%).
✅ Is second for tackle success (79%). https://t.co/5bBMWWfgcB

15-01-2021, 12:37 PM
What a waste of a wage.

Classic trolling type comment right there folks. 🤣

Brightside
What a waste of a wage.

What a waste of internet bandwidth that post is.

3pm
Absolutely delighted, met him a few times just our and about and he's a genuinely nice guy, also a fantastic servant to the club.

✅ Tops the league in passing accuracy (84%), dribble success (80%) and challenge success (68%).

Must be some misunderstanding here.

I read he was finished.

Billy Whizz
15-01-2021, 12:40 PM
Well deserved Lewis

Since452
15-01-2021, 12:43 PM
He'll need to move house if he wins the League Cup this season. Running out of space for his medals.

bigwheel
15-01-2021, 12:48 PM
🆕 Lewis Stevenson has agreed a new contract that will run until at least the summer of 2022.

📈 It comes in the week that the long-serving left-back recorded his 500th appearance for The Hibees.

💚 A legend. On and off the pitch.

🏆🏆

amazing news - delighted for him. and Mackie and Doig who will grow with him being around....

superfurryhibby
15-01-2021, 12:48 PM
Well deserved. Lewis still has plenty left in the tank.

Pretty Boy
15-01-2021, 12:51 PM
His days as an automatic pick may be nearing an end but it's brilliant he is going to be around for a while longer yet.

Both the young LBs seem to have nothing but good things to say about him and he seems genuinely pleased to be a mentor to them.

wookie70
15-01-2021, 12:59 PM
He may have moved from automatic first pick to competing with others or squad player but still well worth a contract and nice to actually have two different style of player at LB with Stevenson defensive and the young guns more forward thinking.

Shrekko
15-01-2021, 01:00 PM

I doubt the wages of all 3 combined amount to very much at all.

Jones28
15-01-2021, 01:02 PM
Good stuff :thumbsup:

Invaluable experience to have around the place.

League cup x 1, Scottish cup x 1, appearances x 500 :flag:

Vault Boy
15-01-2021, 01:05 PM
Wonderful. 💚

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 01:05 PM
A bit odd that there are posters who said on numerous Red Bull Edinburgh threads that they would happily trade in the club's name and colours for the chance at winning a league title because they are "ambitious", yet when it comes to running down the contract of a left back who's clearly past his best (which wasn't much of a best to begin with) they find their sentimental side.:duck::greengrin

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2021, 01:11 PM
A bit odd that there are posters who said on numerous Red Bull Edinburgh threads that they would happily trade in the club's name and colours for the chance at winning a league title because they are "ambitious", yet when it comes to running down the contract of a left back who's clearly past his best (which wasn't much of a best to begin with) they find their sentimental side.:duck::greengrin

His best is winning 2 domestic cups. Considering no other player in the club's history has ever achieved that, his best definitely was very good. A club legend. Nothing sentimental about it.

danhibees1875
15-01-2021, 01:12 PM
600 appearances is just round the corner. :greengrin

In all seriousness, I can't see any negatives to him being around the club for longer - regardless of whether he plays regularly or not.

HoboHarry
15-01-2021, 01:18 PM
Great stuff. It may be asking a lot for him to get to the 600's but sincerely hope that he does, #mancrush......

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 01:19 PM
His best is winning 2 domestic cups. Considering no other player in the club's history has ever achieved that, his best definitely was very good. A club legend. Nothing sentimental about it.

I'm sorry, I forgot he won those two cups all by himself. And no winning the strangest man of the match decision when Benji and Fletcher scored two goals apiece doesn't change that. :aok:

2016 final he was genuinely like having a man down at times. Gives Miller a free header that he somehow hit the bar with in the first half and risks giving away a penalty by pushing Waghorn over in the box at the start of the second.

Those last two sentences are just about the biggest contradiction I've ever seen. Read it back.

HoboHarry
15-01-2021, 01:21 PM
I'm sorry, I forgot he won those two cups all by himself. And no winning the strangest man of the match decision when Benji and Fletcher scored two goals apiece doesn't change that. :aok:

2016 final he was genuinely like having a man down at times. Gives Miller a free header that he somehow hit the bar with in the first half and risks giving away a penalty by pushing Waghorn over in the box at the start of the second.

Those last two sentences are just about the biggest contradiction I've ever seen. Read it back.
Must have been tough finding out that wee Lewis was ****ging your burd :faf::faf:

04Sauzee
15-01-2021, 01:21 PM

Having a man down 😅😅😅😅 belter

jacomo
15-01-2021, 01:23 PM
I diligently did some research all by myself, stats fans:

When compared to other Premiership left-backs who have played more than 300 minutes this season (to offer a worthwhile sample size), Lewis tops the league in terms of his passing accuracy (84%), dribble success (80%) and challenge success (68%). He is second in the table for tackle success (79%).

Vault Boy
15-01-2021, 01:23 PM

✅ Is second for tackle success (79%).

There's yer sentiment.

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 01:25 PM

✅ Is second for tackle success (79%).

There's yer sentiment.

Excellent news! Then he's the best left back in the league and we should be expecting a bid from Rangers or Celtic any day now then? :aok:

You know those stats are *****. Wonder what his passing accuracy becomes if you take out "passing the ball back to Hanlon"?

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 01:27 PM
Must have been tough finding out that wee Lewis was ****ging your burd :faf::faf:

I've met Stevenson and he left the impression that he's one of the nicest blokes and all round good guys that Scottish football's produced in the last twenty years.

His own humility means that he's far more aware of his shortcomings as a footballer than some of his delusional .net worshippers.

04Sauzee
15-01-2021, 01:29 PM
Excellent news! Then he's the best left back in the league and we should be expecting a bid from Rangers or Celtic any day now then? :aok:

You know those stats are *****. Wonder what his passing accuracy becomes if you take out "passing the ball back to Hanlon"?

How about dribbles, challenges and tackles or so you want to ignore them.

I'll go with the stats over your assessment 😅

Vault Boy
15-01-2021, 01:30 PM

What a measured and necessary response.

'Those stats are ****' isn't a sensible argument. Could be said to be a tad emotionally charged, actually - rather than being led by reason.

Excellent and sensible signing for Hibs, as he has been after every other renewal.

jacomo
15-01-2021, 01:30 PM

Oh dear.

jacomo
15-01-2021, 01:32 PM
I've met Stevenson and he left the impression that he's one of the nicest blokes and all round good guys that Scottish football's produced in the last twenty years.

His own humility means that he's far more aware of his shortcomings as a footballer than some of his delusional .net worshippers.

You’re already in a hole. Stop digging.

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 01:33 PM
I love sentimentality and I hope Stevenson stays for the rest of his career so he can retire as a one club man and hopefully even try to eclipse Arthur Duncan's 613.

All I'm asking for is consistency from the posters who get all misty eyed about Stevenson while also at the exact same time demanding "WE SHOULD BE FINISHING THIRD EVERY SEASON AND IF WE DON'T THEN SACK ROSS AND THE WHOLE BOARD."

If you want the ambitious club that finishes way above Hibs' average league position every season, then you're going to have to sacrifice the sort of sentimentality that's kept players like Stevenson around for sixteen years. :aok:

Ozyhibby
15-01-2021, 01:37 PM
Good decision as he is still contributing weekly. Happy for him. Interesting he didn’t get the gold plated 4 year deal McGregor and Gray got?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibbyfraelibby
15-01-2021, 01:38 PM
I think that would be a logical suggestion.

Doig is the future, Stevenson to mentor etc. Sensible contract extension.

Doig is a CB and likely PHs successor. Dont write Mackie off

superfurryhibby
15-01-2021, 01:39 PM

Utterly pointless contribution from someone who is clearly very bored and desperately needing some attention. I feel your pain.

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 01:41 PM
Utterly pointless contribution from someone who is clearly very bored and desperately needing some attention. I feel your pain.

You seem nice.

Vault Boy
15-01-2021, 01:43 PM
I love sentimentality and I hope Stevenson stays for the rest of his career so he can retire as a one club man and hopefully even try to eclipse Arthur Duncan's 613.

All I'm asking for is consistency from the posters who get all misty eyed about Stevenson while also at the exact same time demanding "WE SHOULD BE FINISHING THIRD EVERY SEASON AND IF WE DON'T THEN SACK ROSS AND THE WHOLE BOARD."

If you want the ambitious club that finishes way above Hibs' average league position every season, then you're going to have to sacrifice the sort of sentimentality that's kept players like Stevenson around for sixteen years. :aok:

I just don't see how retaining Stevenson, a cheap player considering his seniority and quality in the team, and achieving 3rd are mutually exclusive. I've not seen a 'Red Bull' thread on this forum for absolutely ages and it seems quite odd to bring it up on a thread about Lewis' contract renewal.

He's playing a different role these days, supporting Doig's development and providing vital competition/cover at LB. Choosing not to renew his inexpensive contract and putting that money elsewhere wouldn't have us achieving 3rd place.

If you're saying you don't even believe in any of the views you're touting, then why even mention it? Just to annoy people?

superfurryhibby
15-01-2021, 01:44 PM
You seem nice.

You've never used that one before, I can tell.

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 01:45 PM
I just don't see how retaining Stevenson, a cheap player considering his seniority and quality for the team, and achieving 3rd are mutually exclusive. I've not seen a 'Red Bull' thread on this forum for absolutely ages and it seems quite odd to bring it up on a thread about Lewis' contract renewal.

He's playing a different role these days, supporting Doig's development and providing vital competition/cover at LB. Choosing not to renew his inexpensive contract and putting that money elsewhere wouldn't have us achieving 3rd place.

If you're saying you don't even believe in any of the views you're touting, then why even mention it? Just to annoy people?

Because at no point have I made it my view that we should get rid of Stevenson? I just think that if we want to be "ambitious" and reaching our minimum expectations of fourth (ie. something we've done six or seven times in forty years), like some of the morons on here keep using to beat Ross with a stick, then we should be looking for a better left back! :aok:

JimBHibees
15-01-2021, 01:46 PM
Great decision well done Lewis. Club legend and winner. :thumbsup:

B.H.F.C
15-01-2021, 01:46 PM
Because at no point have I made it my view that we should get rid of Stevenson? I just think that if we want to be "ambitious" and reaching our minimum expectations of fourth (ie. something we've done six or seven times in forty years), like some of the morons on here keep using to beat Ross with a stick, then we should be looking for a better left back! :aok:

Maybe we already have the better left back at the club?

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 01:49 PM
You've never used that one before, I can tell.

Well you just decided to go straight for personal attacks on a football forum that was discussing a second choice left back, so maybe we'll just let that linger as a reflection on your good self. :aok:

Vault Boy
15-01-2021, 01:53 PM

So it's not your view that we should get rid of Stevenson, but you think to be ambitious we should look for a better left back?

I still don't quite get the point of your post. It seemed to be attempting to call nameless posters out for their supposed activity on a thread that hasn't been discussed at all recently.

If you like sentimentality and want Lewis at the Club, you could have just gone with that. Each to their own.

superfurryhibby
15-01-2021, 01:54 PM
Well you just decided to go straight for personal attacks on a football forum that was discussing a second choice left back, so maybe we'll just let that linger as a reflection on your good self. :aok:

Posting churlish ***** and deliberately seeking a reaction when discussing one of our most loved players is always a good way to engage in discussion right enough.

Have a look at your posting history, it's rank.

Pretty Boy
15-01-2021, 01:54 PM

I like reading different opinions but this is just bizarre. It almost seems fuelled by some kind of visceral hatred.

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2021, 01:56 PM
Pleased to hear, he still has plenty to offer.

Brightside
15-01-2021, 02:08 PM

Lewis wouldnt do that.... he'd arrange a Zoom call with the guy to give him some coaching, or maybe put his arm round him during foreplay?

Sir David Gray
15-01-2021, 02:08 PM
Delighted with this. Whilst I'm not certain he will be involved on the pitch every week anymore, he has lots to offer the club in general and I hope he is involved, in some capacity, for many years to come.

Lewis is one of the greats of our club.

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 02:11 PM
I like reading different opinions but this is just bizarre. It almost seems fuelled by some kind of visceral hatred.

Both of those things happened in that cup final - yes or no?

Jonnyboy
15-01-2021, 02:11 PM

Lewis has been the subject of such visceral abuse before. Poster no longer posts, unless of course he’s just created a new username.

Football fans will always have and defend their favourites, as I do with Lewis. It’s often based on emotion. Football clubs don’t do emotional connections. They just employ players who can play an integral part in matches. Just like Lewis in fact.

I’m delighted for him as it is a recognition that he still has an important role to play at the club

Vault Boy
15-01-2021, 02:18 PM
Lewis has been the subject of such visceral abuse before. Poster no longer posts, unless of course he’s just created a new username.

Football fans will always have and defend their favourites, as I do with Lewis. It’s often based on emotion. Football clubs don’t do emotional connections. They just employ players who can play an integral part in matches. Just like Lewis in fact.

I’m delighted for him as it is a recognition that he still has an important role to play at the club

Good post JB.

I also think, like most things in life, there's room for both the emotional and the rational in running a football club. There's plenty of pragmatic value in keeping Lewy, his stats are still strong, he's reliable, fit, inexpensive, and generally worth keeping as a player. But there's also the sentimental side of things, and a well run club (like I'd consider Hibs to be) recognise these things too. It'd be tone deaf and out of touch to not allow history and sentiment to play some kind of role in a club's operation IMO, but equally that can't be the only factor.

Renewing Stevenson's contract continues to be a good decision, both rationally and emotionally, so I'm very happy to see us make that decision.

PS. I'm guessing Hibs have an option to extend, given they've said it'll run 'at least' until summer 2022?

Jones28
15-01-2021, 02:20 PM
Both of those things happened in that cup final - yes or no?

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.kPb5VU9bZtflDIlO3PyBpAHaLn?w=115&h=180&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

Didn't matter though did it?

Allez Hibs
15-01-2021, 02:21 PM
Lewy's career stats from Football Reference

https://fbref.com/en/players/dfdd68d7/Lewis-Stevenson

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 02:24 PM
https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.kPb5VU9bZtflDIlO3PyBpAHaLn?w=115&h=180&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

Didn't matter though did it?

Brilliant. So we're agreed that mistakes shouldn't be placed under a microscope if the outcome's good!

So maybe dozens of posters on this site could stop doing the same with Jack Ross then?

Stevie Reid
15-01-2021, 02:24 PM
Delighted with this news 💚

J-C
15-01-2021, 02:27 PM

I get really baffled by the hatred some people have for certain players, it's quite amazing that so many managers have deemed him good enough to pull on the Hibs jersey 500 times, he is a current Hibs legend, cracking wee player and one of the nicest guys off the pitch you'll ever meet.

In his latest interview he acknowledges the fact he's getting near the end of his career and is delighted to help out the young lads coming through with both Mackie and Doig praising him for his help. I'm happy with this contract extension which will help the 2 youngsters develop and give us experienced cover, don't rule him out starting many more games rather than sitting on the bench.

hibee_girl
15-01-2021, 02:32 PM
Excellent news 💚

stoneyburn hibs
15-01-2021, 02:45 PM
It's good news, still a decent player.

bigwheel
15-01-2021, 02:48 PM
Deleted, as don’t want to fuel those who are negative on this appreciation/ celebration thread ...

Jones28
15-01-2021, 02:49 PM
Brilliant. So we're agreed that mistakes shouldn't be placed under a microscope if the outcome's good!

So maybe dozens of posters on this site could stop doing the same with Jack Ross then?

Mistakes matter, but in the grand scheme of things you're picking out mistakes from a game that took place 5 years ago. Know your audience a bit better and maybe wait until there's actually cause to criticise someone instead of slagging off a living, playing legend on a thread congratulating their new deal.

andudare2
15-01-2021, 02:51 PM
Both of those things happened in that cup final - yes or no?they did happen,however theywere a long way from the positive/good things he did in the final though or are you to blinkered to admit this.?

bawheid
15-01-2021, 02:57 PM
There’s always some numpty to ruin it eh?

Nice one Lewis. Legend.

PeeJay
15-01-2021, 02:57 PM
Great news about Lewis - 500 games and counting, a 100% professional and fantastic ambassador for the club ...

Diclonius
15-01-2021, 03:00 PM

We'll readdress that if Jack Ross wins the League and Scottish Cup.

EdinMike
15-01-2021, 03:03 PM
Fan-bloody-brilliant ! The term legend gets thrown around, but this man is deserving of it.

B.H.F.C
15-01-2021, 03:03 PM
I get really baffled by the hatred some people have for certain players, it's quite amazing that so many managers have deemed him good enough to pull on the Hibs jersey 500 times, he is a current Hibs legend, cracking wee player and one of the nicest guys off the pitch you'll ever meet.

In his latest interview he acknowledges the fact he's getting near the end of his career and is delighted to help out the young lads coming through with both Mackie and Doig praising him for his help. I'm happy with this contract extension which will help the 2 youngsters develop and give us experienced cover, don't rule him out starting many more games rather than sitting on the bench.

I still think he will start a reasonable number of games because that’s what happens with him.

If he’s doing that then it’s limiting the development opportunities for the other two though. Not so much of an issue for Doig but Mackie can’t really just be considered a young laddie that needs to develop any more, needs to play regular at his age. Lewis coming in for one from time to time is fine but I’m not sure there is space for all three.

JohnMcM
15-01-2021, 03:04 PM
Pleased to hear, he still has plenty to offer.

Both on the pitch and off it as a mentor to younger or less experienced players. Today is a good news day.:greengrin

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 03:16 PM
We'll readdress that if Jack Ross wins the League and Scottish Cup.

That’s genuinely embarrassing if you’re trying to compare winning trophies as a left back in a team of eleven (and arguably being the weak link in both teams) with winning them as a manager.

bigwheel
15-01-2021, 03:24 PM
Both on the pitch and off it as a mentor to younger or less experienced players. Today is a good news day.:greengrin

[emoji817]

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2021, 03:26 PM

Man down :faf:

Easily one of the dumbest posts I've read on here. Absolutely shocker.

Jones28
15-01-2021, 03:26 PM
That’s genuinely embarrassing if you’re trying to compare winning trophies as a left back in a team of eleven (and arguably being the weak link in both teams) with winning them as a manager.

You mean the one when he was MOTM?

Hiber-nation
15-01-2021, 03:27 PM

This post is one of the strangest I've ever read on here and that's saying something. It's beyond obsession. You must have even less regard for all the managers who have played him over the last 14 years I assume.

murray26
15-01-2021, 03:32 PM
Well done Lewis glad to have you for at least another year and a half thoroughly deserved for a great servant to our club.

Monts
15-01-2021, 03:35 PM
Theres only one poster on this thread that is genuinely embarrasing

Barney McGrew
15-01-2021, 03:38 PM

It’s almost as embarrassing as using two minor happenings in probably our most famous game ever to beat a player who has been picked consistently by every manager the club has had in the last fifteen years with.

Each to their own though.

Northernhibee
15-01-2021, 03:41 PM

He was awarded MOTM in the league cup final.

Willis1875
15-01-2021, 03:43 PM
He was awarded MOTM in the league cup final.

According to this bladder with a mouth above Benji or Fletcher should have been awarded MOM

CMurdoch
15-01-2021, 03:45 PM
Money well spent.There is no sentiment in this decision.
Lewis still has a genuine playing role at the club and has no chronic injury issue.
He has played 14 league games this season and holding his own. Doig has played 15 and Mackie 2 (due to injury).
Lewis has averaged over 30 league games a season over the last decade.
He is still the best defender of the 3 left backs at the club with both Doig & Mackie far more offensive players so Lewis is a good tactical option as well.
New contract a no brainer.

Since452
15-01-2021, 03:51 PM
For me Lewis isn't first choice anymore but he's still a very useful back up and an outstanding professional for Josh Doig to learn from. Another deal is a no brainer.

Northernhibee
15-01-2021, 04:06 PM
According to this bladder with a mouth above Benji or Fletcher should have been awarded MOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbaJNks64I

That Lionel Messi's *****, isn't he?

Baldy Foghorn
15-01-2021, 04:42 PM
Model professional, and a humble Gentleman. Happy with this:flag:

MrRobot
15-01-2021, 04:46 PM
Legend. Delighted for him

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 04:46 PM

Players who each scored two goals in a cup final deserved the MOTM above a water carrier in midfield.

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 04:47 PM
This post is one of the strangest I've ever read on here and that's saying something. It's beyond obsession. You must have even less regard for all the managers who have played him over the last 14 years I assume.

Most posters on here think almost every single manager over the last 14 years are "*****" or "a bottler" or any other lazy term they can throw at them. I think I probably have higher regard for them than the average Hibs fan.

Tommy75
15-01-2021, 04:56 PM

Fair play to him, those are impressive stats. That said, he will 99% of the time take a touch and pass to the player closest to him so it is no surprise his passing accuracy is so high? Out of interest, what defines 'dribbling success' - is that beating a player or travelling so far with the ball?

Northernhibee
15-01-2021, 04:59 PM
Most posters on here think almost every single manager over the last 14 years are "*****" or "a bottler" or any other lazy term they can throw at them. I think I probably have higher regard for them than the average Hibs fan.

Everyone says so, bigly. Covfefe!

Jones28
15-01-2021, 05:00 PM
Players who each scored two goals in a cup final deserved the MOTM above a water carrier in midfield.

Mate just stop it eh? You’re just trolling folk now with stuff like this. This should be one of those “if you’ve nothing nice to say keep quiet” threads.

The Harp
15-01-2021, 05:03 PM
Congratulations wee man, totally deserved.
Few players come close to Lewi's dedication and commitment to the Club.
Jack Ross and all those former Hibs managers can't be wrong.
Keep up the good work.

J-C
15-01-2021, 05:06 PM
I still think he will start a reasonable number of games because that’s what happens with him.

If he’s doing that then it’s limiting the development opportunities for the other two though. Not so much of an issue for Doig but Mackie can’t really just be considered a young laddie that needs to develop any more, needs to play regular at his age. Lewis coming in for one from time to time is fine but I’m not sure there is space for all three.

I honestly think Lewis will still play a decent amount as long as he keeps up his standards, Mackie has missed a fair bit due to injury which didn't help his development, he has a wand of a left peg and his recent gams showed he can step up to our level. As I said Kewis knows he's in the twilight of his career and he'll be helping the young guys be the future legends.

blackpoolhibs
15-01-2021, 05:25 PM
I'm not surprised at this, although i did wonder if he'd get a new contract. We have 2 other players who can play left back, and probably just as well as Lewis can too.

The reason i wondered about him getting a new contract was purely down to finance, i love Lewis, he won me over and is probably my favourite player since Pat Stanton.

He probably wont get as much game time going forward, but he can come in at any time and do a very good job.

I hope he's here for years to come, as he will be an inspiration to any youth coming through at the club, who wants to have a career in the game.:top marks

Hiber-nation
15-01-2021, 05:46 PM

You just don't get it do you? They all played Lewis.

hibby rae
15-01-2021, 05:56 PM

You could say he gives a solid 7 every week 😂

hibsbollah
15-01-2021, 05:59 PM
Hes a Legend. I just love the guy. This news makes it much less likely that I will ever see him in another team's shirt. Which just wouldn't have been right.

hibby rae
15-01-2021, 06:07 PM
Hes a Legend. I just love the guy. This news makes it much less likely that I will ever see him in another team's shirt. Which just wouldn't have been right.

Like bumping into your ex with her new partner. You might be be happy for her, but you know it should have been you.

hibby rae
15-01-2021, 06:12 PM
Money well spent.There is no sentiment in this decision.
Lewis still has a genuine playing role at the club and has no chronic injury issue.
He has played 14 league games this season and holding his own. Doig has played 15 and Mackie 2 (due to injury).
Lewis has averaged over 30 league games a season over the last decade.
He is still the best defender of the 3 left backs at the club with both Doig & Mackie far more offensive players so Lewis is a good tactical option as well.
New contract a no brainer.

A good example of his value this season is the 2-2 game with Rangers. Doig was doing ok but Lewie made us a lot more solid at the back that day. Doing that in that game shows the value he still has to a team chasing top 4 spots.

superfurryhibby
15-01-2021, 06:14 PM

True, Lewis will be 34 and a half when the contract ends. I would love him to retire as a one club man. It would be a very rare thing. Lawrie Reilly and Eddie Turnbull are the only two Hibees i can think of.

Northernhibee
15-01-2021, 06:15 PM
People criticise him for making a lot of easy passes - but that's part of his importance. He always makes himself open for a pass, busting a gut to get into a useful position, gets the ball, takes the pressure off and distributes it efficiently. He makes the job of our midfield that much easier.

hibby rae
15-01-2021, 06:22 PM
True, Lewis will be 34 and a half when the contract ends. I would love him to retire as a one club man. It would be a very rare thing. Lawrie Reilly and Eddie Turnbull are the only two Hibees i can think of.

And then potentially add Hanlon to the list too.

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 06:27 PM
And then potentially add Hanlon to the list too.

Played two games for St Johnstone.

Peevemor
15-01-2021, 06:32 PM
Played two games for St Johnstone.He was still contracted to Hibs.

worcesterhibby
15-01-2021, 06:33 PM
My favourite Hibs player ever. I just wish he’d married my daughter. Great to see him signing a new contract. :thumbsup:

superfurryhibby
15-01-2021, 06:34 PM
Interesting that Ross mentions resigning Lewis and saying he is competing with Josh Doig for a place at left back. No mention of Mackie?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55683925

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 06:35 PM
He was still contracted to Hibs.

There is no way you're getting away with defining that as a one club man! :greengrin

If you turn out for another club in however few games that may be, you're no longer a one club man. That's how it works.

Peevemor
15-01-2021, 06:37 PM
There is no way you're getting away with defining that as a one club man! :greengrin

If you turn out for another club in however few games that may be, you're no longer a one club man. That's how it works.I'll define it however I like - as can you.

He was still Hibs' player.

Since452
15-01-2021, 06:45 PM
Played two games for St Johnstone.

Just had to check that and so he did. No recollection of that whatsoever.

HibbyAndy
15-01-2021, 06:45 PM

This is where i am :top marks

Eyrie
15-01-2021, 06:47 PM
Stevenson is still demonstrating on the pitch that he's good enough, so I'm pleased that he's got another year.

hibby rae
15-01-2021, 06:59 PM
I'll define it however I like - as can you.

He was still Hibs' player.

Yep. Never left the club.

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 07:11 PM
Yep. Never left the club.

He left the club on loan to play at St Johnstone.

Iggy Pope
15-01-2021, 07:18 PM

Have you any love in your heart man?

Squealing pig
15-01-2021, 07:20 PM
Deserved , well played

hibby rae
15-01-2021, 07:23 PM

'On loan'. Was still Hibs' player.

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 07:26 PM
'On loan'. Was still Hibs' player.

So does Matt Macey play for us right now or not?

Iggy Pope
15-01-2021, 07:30 PM

Think so. He’s left Arsenal.
There were a few better and far more obvious examples in recent times, you’ve missed a match winning trick there.....

J-C
15-01-2021, 07:35 PM

You really have no concept of the loan system have you. Hanlon never signed a contract with St Johnstone, he was loaned to gain experience, during that time he was still a Hibs player.

hibby rae
15-01-2021, 07:41 PM

Left Arsenal and signed a short term contract with us until the end of the season.

ElginHibbie
15-01-2021, 07:41 PM
Think so. He’s left Arsenal.
There were a few better and far more obvious examples in recent times, you’ve missed a match winning trick there.....

I mean even in our current squad, Murphy is still a Rangers player until the summer

Monts
15-01-2021, 07:51 PM

:rotflmao:

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 07:53 PM
That one's my bad. :wink:

Is Jamie Murphy* a Hibs player right now?

Lancs Harp
15-01-2021, 07:58 PM
I reckon secretly HFC1875 is Lewis's shirt sponsor :greengrin

ElginHibbie
15-01-2021, 08:04 PM

Nope, seeing as Rangers can dictate that he can't play against them he's a Rangers player loaned to Hibs

Willis1875
15-01-2021, 08:04 PM
I think he’s Mikey Stewart still miffed at Stevenson taking his cup final spot

Jones28
15-01-2021, 08:11 PM
I think he’s Mikey Stewart still miffed at Stevenson taking his cup final spot

MS was very very complimentary of LS on Sportsound on Monday so **** knows what this guys problem is.

bigwheel
15-01-2021, 08:12 PM
MS was very very complimentary of LS on Sportsound on Monday so **** knows what this guys problem is.

I think the poster is in love with Lewis and just struggling to come to terms with his feelings ....

Jones28
15-01-2021, 08:12 PM

What is your problem?

You’ve hijacked a thread about a club legend to just rip into him and now you’ve started on Hanlon?

Jones28
15-01-2021, 08:13 PM
I think the poster is in love with Lewis and just struggling to come to terms with his feelings ....

I thought P7’s just passed notes to one another?

Heisenberg
15-01-2021, 08:13 PM
A genuine Hibernian legend, delighted to see him stay.

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2021, 08:14 PM
Players must have been at their club for a minimum of ten years in order to be included here. Loan spells at other teams disqualify players from being counted in the list. Only seasons with appearances in the senior first team are counted.

Wiki page on one club men. Hanlon isn't a one club man in my opinion. He played matches for another side. Doesn't make him any less of a Hibs legend but not a one club man.

Jonnyboy
15-01-2021, 08:15 PM

You do know that ~Lewis didn't nominate himself as man of the match. The way you're going on about it makes you think that you do.

Highlighting a couple of errors but ignoring the substantial number of 'good' things he did in these games just proves to me that your view is entrenched and you've every intention of digging up these 'mistakes'

As a Hibs fan, I prefer to think of the positives in those games - as any true supporter would do.

HibbyAndy
15-01-2021, 08:30 PM
Players must have been at their club for a minimum of ten years in order to be included here. Loan spells at other teams disqualify players from being counted in the list. Only seasons with appearances in the senior first team are counted.

Wiki page on one club men. Hanlon isn't a one club man in my opinion. He played matches for another side. Doesn't make him any less of a Hibs legend but not a one club man.

I love Hanlon but hard to see how he can be describes as 1 man club when he played for st.johnstone :confused:

HibeeHibernian4
15-01-2021, 08:35 PM
What is your problem?

You’ve hijacked a thread about a club legend to just rip into him and now you’ve started on Hanlon?

Sorry but how the **** is that starting on Hanlon?

Deary ****ing me this place sometimes. Pointing out that he's not a one club man gets that response. :rolleyes:

Jones28
15-01-2021, 08:47 PM
Sorry but how the **** is that starting on Hanlon?

Deary ****ing me this place sometimes. Pointing out that he's not a one club man gets that response. :rolleyes:

You’re boring everyone on what should be a thread about a celebrated Hibs player - Lewis Stevenson - and it turns in to asking people to define what a one club man is?

This place indeed 😂

jacomo
15-01-2021, 08:57 PM

They are not the same people.

Also the premise of your argument is ridiculous.

Iggy Pope
15-01-2021, 09:12 PM

You’re rubbish at this and should just give up. Sir Antony Stokes cup winning hero, is the stellar example, the TKO you needed to ‘win’ this drawn out pointless and distracting debate about loan players and who they really, really do play for but you’re just so ***** at it you’re not thinking straight and making yourself look daft. No one wants that do they?

Frazerbob
15-01-2021, 09:16 PM
There’s no better mentor for the young team at our club and if he can continue with the form he’s shown this season when called upon, how can anyone have an issue with this?

USAHibee
15-01-2021, 09:40 PM
This thread about a club legend brings out the wworst in social media/forums etc. I feel people shouldn't be allowed to hide behind dodgy trolling usernames...

Just horrible negativity..

Mcpakeisgod
15-01-2021, 10:09 PM

That’s where my head went reading that as well 😅

Jones28
15-01-2021, 10:44 PM
This thread about a club legend brings out the wworst in social media/forums etc. I feel people shouldn't be allowed to hide behind dodgy trolling usernames...

Just horrible negativity..

It doesn’t really get more trolling than that.

I did call the individual out but seemingly they didn’t fancy replying...

Northernhibee
15-01-2021, 11:04 PM
It doesn’t really get more trolling than that.

I did call the individual out but seemingly they didn’t fancy replying...

It's truly pathetic. Should be a thread that sees us celebrating one of the clubs all time great ambassadors signing up for at least another season - and fair enough, debate on whether or not he deserves a new contract is up for it - but yet another sadsack troll decides to create havoc and ruins another thread on here.

Gaffer1875
16-01-2021, 06:12 AM
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but give Lewis’ pre match interview a watch. Mentioned is the new deal, being a Raith fan, selling fags, Hanlon approaching 500 games too, coaching in the future and disclosing Cadden as a new signing!

JohnM1875
16-01-2021, 06:43 AM
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but give Lewis’ pre match interview a watch. Mentioned is the new deal, being a Raith fan, selling fags, Hanlon approaching 500 games too, coaching in the future and disclosing Cadden as a new signing!

Watched it as well, brilliant stuff!

Absolutely love the man! So chuffed he's signed on for another year.

Speedy
16-01-2021, 07:36 AM
I suspected he'd get a year but don't have strong feelings either way on Lewis's new contract.

Still has something to add as a squad player so if the management think we can keep him without hindering the signing or development of a better left back then that's fine with me.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Doig and Mackie.

Crammond Hibee
16-01-2021, 07:58 AM
Stevenson is still demonstrating on the pitch that he's good enough, so I'm pleased that he's got another year.

In a nutshell.I totally agree.

tamig
16-01-2021, 08:01 AM
Some of the stuff on this thread is like a nasty kid going along to a classmate’s birthday party and letting off some stink bombs. Very poor patter.

hibsbollah
16-01-2021, 08:21 AM
Some of the stuff on this thread is like a nasty kid going along to a classmate’s birthday party and letting off some stink bombs. Very poor patter.

Everyone can do what they like obviously, within the confines of what the moderators say. But personally I’ve been toning down MY sarcasm and stuff that could be deemed as personal digs recently. Doesn’t mean I won’t argue from time to time. But especially at the moment with what’s going on outside, you never know what someone is dealing with in their actual real lives. I think some others could probably do with doing the same. Not just this thread. Sorry if that sounds holier than thou. Just don’t be a dick.

jacomo
16-01-2021, 09:00 AM

Harsh, given that loans are such a well established way for players to gain experience.

For example, Spurs sent Harry Kane out on loan to Leyton Orient and other places but I would absolutely describe him as a one club man.

Paul Hanlon definitely qualifies in my book.

Since452
16-01-2021, 09:15 AM
Amazing that Gordon Smith made 636 appearances for Hibs and still found time to win the league with Hearts and Dundee too. Astonishing really.

Magpie
16-01-2021, 09:17 AM
Amazing that Gordon Smith made 636 appearances for Hibs and still found time to win the league with Hearts and Dundee too. Astonishing really.

Were games played more frequently back in those days? Some going from him.

hibbysam
16-01-2021, 09:17 AM
Now it’s been done I’m delighted for Lewis, still don’t think he’s good enough now, but going by his interview he seems to be really enjoying helping Josh and Sean. His interview last night summed him up, so modest, then started blurting out transfer news, team news, selling fags etc 😂

lucky
16-01-2021, 09:21 AM
I’m delighted that Lewis has secured another contract. He’s more than capable of playing premiership football at this stage in his career. I guarantee you that every club out with the OF and Sheep would have tried to sign him in the summer on a free. He’s a solid full back and will help drive on the youngsters who want his place in the team.

Since452
16-01-2021, 09:22 AM
Were games played more frequently back in those days? Some going from him.

Just read that including friendlies, benefit and exhibition matches he played over 700 games for Hibs

Phil MaGlass
16-01-2021, 09:28 AM
Top bloke, some amount of games, has worked hard and deserves the plaudits, another year, I´m not complaining, real pro, could do with more of his attitude at the club.

hopefully I wont be slating him by the end of today:grr::grr::greengrin

Magpie
16-01-2021, 09:28 AM
Just read that including friendlies, benefit and exhibition matches he played over 700 games for Hibs

Incredible going, I doubt that will ever be beaten in our lifetime.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2021, 09:38 AM
Harsh, given that loans are such a well established way for players to gain experience.

For example, Spurs sent Harry Kane out on loan to Leyton Orient and other places but I would absolutely describe him as a one club man.

Paul Hanlon definitely qualifies in my book.
Kane went on 4 different loans. Definitely not a one club man.

Lancs Harp
16-01-2021, 09:49 AM

Harry Kane definitely had a few loan periods, he had a half season loan at Millwall where I think he went with the unfortunate Ryan Mason who was latter to get a bad head injury and had to retire fro the game. Pretty sure Kane and Mason went to Millwall as part of the same deal at the same time.

HibeeHibernian4
16-01-2021, 10:46 AM
You’re rubbish at this and should just give up. Sir Antony Stokes cup winning hero, is the stellar example, the TKO you needed to ‘win’ this drawn out pointless and distracting debate about loan players and who they really, really do play for but you’re just so ***** at it you’re not thinking straight and making yourself look daft. No one wants that do they?

I'm just glad that we agree two goals in a final makes you a cup winning hero. Hope someone tells Fletcher and Benji since they've been overlooked for their deserved MOTM award by a young Scottish player who ran about a bit.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2021, 10:48 AM
I'm just glad that we agree two goals in a final makes you a cup winning hero. Hope someone tells Fletcher and Benji since they've been overlooked for their deserved MOTM award by a young Scottish player who ran about a bit.

No matter what, one of them was being overlooked. Stupid point of view that scoring twice makes you man of the match. Ridiculous comments on Lewis. A legend of this club.

HibeeHibernian4
16-01-2021, 10:55 AM
No matter what, one of them was being overlooked. Stupid point of view that scoring twice makes you man of the match. Ridiculous comments on Lewis. A legend of this club.

Players who score twice deserve MOTM more than a midfielder who had zero assists or goals that day. The fact that's seen as a remotely controversial opinion shows how demented some of the Stevenson defenders actually are. I'm very sure that he himself (again, a really nice and humble man) would gladly admit that he wasn't the best player on the park that day.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2021, 11:02 AM
Players who score twice deserve MOTM more than a midfielder who had zero assists or goals that day. The fact that's seen as a remotely controversial opinion shows how demented some of the Stevenson defenders actually are. I'm very sure that he himself (again, a really nice and humble man) would gladly admit that he wasn't the best player on the park that day.
So it's purely goal and assists that determine it? Nothing to do with Lewis. In general, the best player on the park deserves man of the match, not the one with the most goals.

Booked4Being-Ugly
16-01-2021, 11:05 AM
Lewis deserves every accolade, simple really.

He would run through brick walls for this club. He is a brilliant role model on and off the park (selling holiday fags aside).

It will be a sad day when he hangs up his #16 Hibs shirt.

Legend.

HibeeHibernian4
16-01-2021, 11:10 AM
So it's purely goal and assists that determine it? Nothing to do with Lewis. In general, the best player on the park deserves man of the match, not the one with the most goals.

In a game won so emphatically? Yes.

Again, this is nothing that Stevenson can be blamed for but the whole thing smacks of parochial thinking. Lets just give it to the guid hoanest Scottish laddie in midfield. Surprised it wasn't Yogi dishing out the awards that day.

Benjelloun twice scored goals that effectively sealed the cup, the first of which was an absolute beauty. He terrorised Killie that day and I can't for the life of me work out how he didn't get the award. It's not exactly something I'm going to lose sleep over, but just something for the fiercely pro Stevenson lot to consider when they scream about it to anyone who has their doubts about his obviously limited ability as a footballer.

marinello59
16-01-2021, 11:19 AM

:agree:
Some posts are bordering on spiteful. There really is no need.

Allant1981
16-01-2021, 11:19 AM
What is your problem?

Schools are still off so he is possibly bored just now!

Onceinawhile
16-01-2021, 11:25 AM

Again, this is nothing that Stevenson can be blamed for but the whole thing smacks of parochial thinking. Lets just give it to the guid hoanest Scottish laddie in midfield. Surprised it wasn't Yogi dishing out the awards that day.

You are remembering that fletcher was a guid hoanest Scottish laddie too? And that arguably it was his 1st (our 3rd) goal that sealed it?

Surely if it was just based on nationality fletch would have got it?

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2021, 11:27 AM

Benjelloun twice scored goals that effectively sealed the cup, the first of which was an absolute beauty. He terrorised Killie that day and I can't for the life of me work out how he didn't get the award. It's not exactly something I'm going to lose sleep over, but just something for the fiercely pro Stevenson lot to consider when they scream about it to anyone who has their doubts about his obviously limited ability as a footballer.

Lewis Stevenson, club legend.

Frazerbob
16-01-2021, 11:27 AM

Is trolling allowed on here? Get this clown tae ****.

matty_f
16-01-2021, 11:37 AM
I can’t get my head around why anyone would want to take a thread like this down a route of going out of their way to slate a player that has been a fantastic servant to the club.

It’s pathetic, even allowing for the “it’s a forum for opinions “ line of thinking, there’s a time and a place for it.

Like turning up uninvited to a funeral to tell the deceased’s family that you didn’t like him.

Septimus
16-01-2021, 11:41 AM
Pleased with the extended contract. He has been a steady and dependable player for Hibs and has donned the famous jersey 500 times. All the 'experts' who debunk his contribution would probably give their eye teeth to wear the colours once.

Well done Lewis!!

500miles
16-01-2021, 11:47 AM
We've had plenty of guys try and take the left back position, and plenty of managers, good and bad, that have overhauled the squad and never moved him on. When we were struggling, he was awarded player of the year awards, and he was still there when we were lifting trophies. That tells me that there is a place for guys like Lewis in every Hibs team, and while we might cross our fingers for the next David Murphy in the good times, we'll be crying out for the next Lewis Stevenson when the bad times come round again.

jacomo
16-01-2021, 11:54 AM

Of course he is. He was contracted to Spurs the entire time and the purpose of the loans was to ready him for their first team. Your argument is ridiculous.

Vault Boy
16-01-2021, 11:59 AM
Last time out: Lewis Stevenson.

✅ Passes: 39 (1st).
✅ Passes Into Final Third: 22 (1st).
✅ Total Actions: 51 (1st).
✅ Total Crosses: 4 (1st).
✅ Challenge Success: 86% (1st).
✅ Defensive Challenges Won: 5 (2nd).
✅ Tackles: 3 (2nd).

*Introduced at half-time.

Baller.

jacomo
16-01-2021, 12:01 PM
We've had plenty of guys try and take the left back position, and plenty of managers, good and bad, that have overhauled the squad and never moved him on. When we were struggling, he was awarded player of the year awards, and he was still there when we were lifting trophies. That tells me that there is a place for guys like Lewis in every Hibs team, and while we might cross our fingers for the next David Murphy in the good times, we'll be crying out for the next Lewis Stevenson when the bad times come round again.

I think of someone like Dennis Irwin at Man Utd or Jordan Henderson at Liverpool - both have been mocked for being nowhere near the required standard yet were indispensable players to their team.

sleeping giant
16-01-2021, 12:02 PM
I can’t get my head around why anyone would want to take a thread like this down a route of going out of their way to slate a player that has been a fantastic servant to the club.

It’s pathetic, even allowing for the “it’s a forum for opinions “ line of thinking, there’s a time and a place for it.

Like turning up uninvited to a funeral to tell the deceased’s family that you didn’t like him.

Anchors

Barney McGrew
16-01-2021, 12:05 PM
I just can’t understand how Lewis has managed to fool ten successive Hibs managers into playing him week in week out.

It’s almost as if people within the game know more than the odd roaster on a fans forum.

hibee_girl
16-01-2021, 12:15 PM

staunchhibby
16-01-2021, 12:27 PM
There's always one

J-C
16-01-2021, 02:03 PM
That's a ****ing embarrassing comparison and you should feel suitably ****ing ashamed of yourself for making it. Goodness me.

Well TBH you did start all this crap dissing Lewis on a thread congratulating him on 500 appearances.

Peevemor
16-01-2021, 02:05 PM
So you can say what you want but other people can't?

Speedy
16-01-2021, 02:54 PM
Harry Kane definitely had a few loan periods, he had a half season loan at Millwall where I think he went with the unfortunate Ryan Mason who was latter to get a bad head injury and had to retire fro the game. Pretty sure Kane and Mason went to Millwall as part of the same deal at the same time.

Kane was on loan at Leicester. There's a photo of him, Vardy and Big Conrad on the bench :greengrin

I'd agree with those describing one-club man as having played at only one club. Odd how animated people are getting either way though

hibby rae
16-01-2021, 03:44 PM
Paul McGinn been awarded MoM today, but that can't be right because he didn't score? 😂

Allez Hibs
16-01-2021, 03:53 PM

So this being a fans forum where there are many differences of opinion, where is the time and place?

Si Ferry poked fun at Lewy on his podcast...

"Congratulations to Lewis Stevenson on his 500 appearances... 10 good games..."

Playing devil's advocate here before anyone gets on their high horse.

Jones28
16-01-2021, 03:55 PM
So this being a fans forum where there are many differences of opinion, where is the time and place?

Si Ferry is a dick firstly.

Secondly the time and the place is not a thread congratulating a player on their 500th game for Hibs. It’s pretty simple.

Allez Hibs
16-01-2021, 04:00 PM
Si Ferry is a dick firstly.

Secondly the time and the place is not a thread congratulating a player on their 500th game for Hibs. It’s pretty simple.

Perhaps the thread title needs renamed :aok:

Si Ferry does produce entertaining content for Scottish Football fans to be fair to him.

Northernhibee
16-01-2021, 04:01 PM

Si Ferry is known for being unfunny on a podcast and plays for Peterhead, Lewis Stevenson is a one of a kind club legend. I don’t think Lewis will be paying any attention to the wee neds rambling.

matty_f
16-01-2021, 05:03 PM

I can’t believe it needs explaining, to be honest.

You said you are playing devil’s advocate so I’m guessing it’s a rhetorical question.

Brightside
16-01-2021, 05:04 PM

Si Ferry. Dearie me.

Jones28
16-01-2021, 05:15 PM
Perhaps the thread title needs renamed :aok:

Si Ferry does produce entertaining content for Scottish Football fans to be fair to him.

His interviews are decent, his “patter” with Slane and Kyle is rank rotten.

Are you agreeing that this thread should not be turned in to a discussion about the demerits of a player when the thread is celebrating them making 500 appearances for the club?

The poster in question seems to have gone dark for now so maybe let’s get this back on topic.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2021, 05:26 PM
Of course he is. He was contracted to Spurs the entire time and the purpose of the loans was to ready him for their first team. Your argument is ridiculous.

I know exactly what the purpose of the loans were, you can stop saying that now.

It really isn't ridiculous to suggest a one club man should only play for one club. It's the definition provided by Wikipedia. Chelsea have just sold Lucas Piazon after 7 loans over 9 years. He played 1 league match for them. Ever. Was he a one club man until he was sold? Where does it end?

Shrekko
16-01-2021, 05:30 PM
Si Ferry is known for being unfunny on a podcast and plays for Peterhead, Lewis Stevenson is a one of a kind club legend. I don’t think Lewis will be paying any attention to the wee neds rambling.

Funny or not he was only joking- he always tries to make a one liner and it was pre-prepared. He also said he's known Lewis since they were young players and he was a great guy. Him and the other 3 on the show then went on to praise him highly for his career.

Fergos
16-01-2021, 05:32 PM
Maybe Simon Ferry can get his Scottish and League cup medals out and show Lewis how they were won.....

Congrats due to Lewis, quite an achievement, no matter what your opinion of him is.

2 - that’s how many Lewis has.

GGTTH

hibby rae
16-01-2021, 07:13 PM
I know exactly what the purpose of the loans were, you can stop saying that now.

It really isn't ridiculous to suggest a one club man should only play for one club. It's the definition provided by Wikipedia. Chelsea have just sold Lucas Piazon after 7 loans over 9 years. He played 1 league match for them. Ever. Was he a one club man until he was sold? Where does it end?

Tbf though the definition on wikipedia is the opinion of whoever created the article, unless they are referencing an external source.

Allez Hibs
16-01-2021, 07:23 PM
Maybe Simon Ferry can get his Scottish and League cup medals out and show Lewis how they were won.....

Congrats due to Lewis, quite an achievement, no matter what your opinion of him is.

2 - that’s how many Lewis has.

GGTTH

Hopefully becoming 3 shortly 👍

Allez Hibs
16-01-2021, 07:24 PM
Are you agreeing that this thread should not be turned in to a discussion about the demerits of a player when the thread is celebrating them making 500 appearances for the club?

Agreed.

Islington Hibs
16-01-2021, 09:25 PM
Stevenson is a legend of end of. Scottish cup winner, loyal servant in an age where loyalty counts for little, dependable and decent. While some footballers earn telephone money,,Lewis has set up a charity with a fellow long term servant of the club, and given tens of thousands of pounds to help others. He is a gentleman and we are fortunate he has played for our club.

Fergos
16-01-2021, 09:29 PM
Stevenson is a legend of end of. Scottish cup winner, loyal servant in an age where loyalty counts for little, dependable and decent. While some footballers earn telephone money,,Lewis has set up a charity with a fellow long term servant of the club, and given tens of thousands of pounds to help others. He is a gentleman and we are fortunate he has played for our club.

Well said bud. The charity line says it all about both Lewis and PH.

GGTTH

jacomo
16-01-2021, 09:30 PM

:faf:

It takes a bit of common sense to work out the difference between those two players, but we clearly won’t find it here.

MWHIBBIES
17-01-2021, 11:10 AM
:faf:

It takes a bit of common sense to work out the difference between those two players, but we clearly won’t find it here.

Nothing wrong with Wikipedia. Has the entire history of the human race, online for free. People seem to knock it because it can be edited by anyone (which isn't true)

There really is no need to be so condescending here. It's a bit pathetic. There is merit to both definitions. Only one of them actually involves a player playing only for 1 club, though.

Peevemor
17-01-2021, 11:20 AM
Nothing wrong with Wikipedia. Has the entire history of the human race, online for free. People seem to knock it because it can be edited by anyone (which isn't true)

There really is no need to be so condescending here. It's a bit pathetic. There is merit to both definitions. Only one of them actually involves a player playing only for 1 club, though.And another has him contracted to only one club.

MWHIBBIES
17-01-2021, 12:04 PM
And another has him contracted to only one club.

No, they both have that.

hibby rae
17-01-2021, 04:18 PM

There really is no need to be so condescending here. It's a bit pathetic. There is merit to both definitions. Only one of them actually involves a player playing only for 1 club, though.

I used wikipedia when researching my dissertation at university. It was a good starting point for compiling a reading list.

Carheenlea
27-01-2021, 04:30 PM
Some nice testimonials to Lewis from his former managers at Hibs

https://twitter.com/scotlandsky/status/1354413679798837248?s=21

Smartie
09-08-2021, 02:25 PM
You knew what you were doing, every chance to have a pop eh? You forget about the cross that sailed miles over the bar in the 2nd half by Doig.

Doig is one of the most promising fullbacks in the country and in all likelihood a big club will pay millions for him.

He has his strengths and weaknesses, Stevenson has others, but when that cross went over the bar I turned to my mate and made the point that if Stevenson had done the same he'd have been absolutely crucified for it.

Fullbacks occasionally shell crosses out of play, folk need to learn to deal with it.

Lewis' last 2 performances for Hibs have been amongst his best ever.

Irish_Steve
09-08-2021, 02:35 PM
Unbelievable comment to make which makes me doubt the posters supporter credentials.

I was at the game yesterday and on Thursday and the biggest difference was that Murphy was actually helping Josh out. On more than one occasion, Josh would be far ahead of Jamie, with Jamie basically filling it at left back.

On Thursday, JM offered Lewis no protection whatsoever, a fact that the Rieka no.27 exploited. Lewis was trying to mark two people and as good as he is, he can't do that.

I think Jack Ross probably had a word with Murphy, telling him he had to support whoever was playing behind him

Just Alf
09-08-2021, 03:22 PM
Unbelievable comment to make which makes me doubt the posters supporter credentials.

I was at the game yesterday and on Thursday and the biggest difference was that Murphy was actually helping Josh out. On more than one occasion, Josh would be far ahead of Jamie, with Jamie basically filling it at left back.

On Thursday, JM offered Lewis no protection whatsoever, a fact that the Rieka no.27 exploited. Lewis was trying to mark two people and as good as he is, he can't do that.

I think Jack Ross probably had a word with Murphy, telling him he had to support whoever was playing behind himWatching both games on TV that's exactly my take on it as well. :agree:

hibee_girl
09-08-2021, 03:31 PM

I think Jack Ross probably had a word with Murphy, telling him he had to support whoever was playing behind him

Murphy defensive work was the real difference yesterday

Scottie
09-08-2021, 03:42 PM
19 managers & caretaker managers since he made his debut for us says all you need to know about Lewis Stevenson. Ultimate professional & smashing guy by all accounts. :not worth

Shrekko
09-08-2021, 04:16 PM
First games of the season and the only thought in my head is how lucky we are to have Lewis and how he’s playing as well as ever … but some people want to have a go and pick his game apart every single time? What is with some ‘supporters’?

We were told that Josh would have had a goal and an assist on Thursday despite Lewis starting and finishing the move where he hit the post. Yes he did muck up one cross… which Josh did v Ross County.

Also gets blamed for the goal on Thursday which was very similar to the Cup final winner …..

Absolutely cringe every time I read the same absolute rubbish about Lewis and Hanlon EVERY season. They deserve nothing if not respect but that’s too much for certain fans. Idiots.

JimBHibees
09-08-2021, 04:24 PM
Absolutely no doubt in my mind other teams fans are posing as Hibs fans to criticise every aspect of the club. Match thread says it all

Just Alf
09-08-2021, 04:42 PM
Absolutely no doubt in my mind other teams fans are posing as Hibs fans to criticise every aspect of the club. Match thread says it allSome might even be involved in arranging planes and banners for their own teams going by the 'feel' or 'tone' of what's being posted.

J-C
09-08-2021, 06:23 PM
Doig is one of the most promising fullbacks in the country and in all likelihood a big club will pay millions for him.

He has his strengths and weaknesses, Stevenson has others, but when that cross went over the bar I turned to my mate and made the point that if Stevenson had done the same he'd have been absolutely crucified for it.

Fullbacks occasionally shell crosses out of play, folk need to learn to deal with it.

Lewis' last 2 performances for Hibs have been amongst his best ever.

That was my point, if that was Stevenson he'd be having a right go at him again, Doig does it and nothing, so obvious he has a gripe against Lewis and it's getting very boring, same as the people who have a dig at Hanlon at every opportunity.

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2021, 06:41 PM
We've got a potential superstar as 1st choice left back, and in Lewis Stevenson we have an able deputy whenever needed, who is capable of being man of the match in any given game.

When he plays, (Lewis) he rarely give anything less than a 7/10, we are lucky to have him.:thumbsup:

PH91
09-08-2021, 09:29 PM

We were playing against different formations, though. Against county doig had license to go forward and it allowed murphy to take up a position inside. Ross county were terrible in dealing with it and it caused them lots of problems, especially first half.

I think criticising murphy defensively against rijeka is harsh, it looked to me that he was told not to drop with their wingback, i assume to avoid us becoming a back 6 and getting camped in, and stevenson (and the others in the back 4) would shuffle across when the ball was switched. I thought stevenson did the job really well and that murphy contributed as much as he could as part of that system.

I think doig will play on thursday as he has the ability to carry the ball up the pitch, not one of stevensons strengths, but it will be interesting to see if we use the same defensive approach. I'd have no issues if stevenson got the nod to play the same role again, though.

USAHibee
10-08-2021, 11:27 AM
First games of the season and the only thought in my head is how lucky we are to have Lewis and how he’s playing as well as ever … but some people want to have a go and pick his game apart every single time? What is with some ‘supporters’?

We were told that Josh would have had a goal and an assist on Thursday despite Lewis starting and finishing the move where he hit the post. Yes he did muck up one cross… which Josh did v Motherwell.

Also gets blamed for the goal on Thursday which was very similar to the Cup final winner …..

Absolutely cringe every time I read the same absolute rubbish about Lewis and Hanlon EVERY season. They deserve nothing if not respect but that’s too much for certain fans. Idiots.

This is spot on

worcesterhibby
10-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Lewis Stevenson, God of Perseverance. :not worth:not worth:not worth

porthibbie
10-08-2021, 01:28 PM

We were told that Josh would have had a goal and an assist on Thursday despite Lewis starting and finishing the move where he hit the post. Yes he did muck up one cross… which Josh did v Motherwell.

Josh did not play against Motherwell.

Shrekko
10-08-2021, 01:32 PM
Josh did not play against Motherwell.

Yes- meant the Ross County game.

Irish_Steve
11-08-2021, 12:53 PM
Good to see the person who posted recently about LS has been punted - pleasing!

Jones28
11-08-2021, 12:57 PM
Oh no! Allez Hibs has left? Oh I don’t know how I will manage without the insight they brought to the forum.

J-C
11-08-2021, 01:28 PM
Good to see the person who posted recently about LS has been punted - pleasing!

Been a member for 19 years, can't believe anyone would be undercover on a rival fans forum for that long.

Just Alf
11-08-2021, 02:55 PM
Been a member for 19 years, can't believe anyone would be undercover on a rival fans forum for that long.Crazy... I thought he was Hibs to be fair, but one similar to those Hearts divvies that arranged the plane and banner!

Edit NINTEEN years! I actually had thought he was one of the young team and still at school..... and apologies to the young team for that :-/

Kato
11-08-2021, 03:00 PM
Crazy... I thought he was Hibs to be fair, but one similar to those Hearts divvies that arranged the plane and banner!

Edit NINTEEN years! I actually had thought he was one of the young team and still at school..... and apologies to the young team for that :-/The account was their for 19 years. Doesn't mean he was.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk