PDA

View Full Version : Alan Rough

Hector Mudflap
13-01-2021, 10:16 PM
Not sure if this has been asked before but in my old head I was convinced that Alan Roughs first game for Hibs was a night game against Swansea at ER- some sort of friendly quickly arranged and it was a horrible misty midweek night. I have no idea if I am just confused as the stats all say it was Celtic and we lost 3-2. Can anyone shed any light?

BILLYHIBS
13-01-2021, 10:26 PM
Made his debut 27/11/1982 after signing from Jags for 60k in a 2-3 loss versus Celtic at home

The Swansea game was on 17/2/1983 a 1-0 win at Easter Road

Might be wrong but I attended the Celtic game and was excited at our new signing

Both HIBS goals scored by Simon Murray’s dad

Frank McGarvey 2 and Paul McStay for Celtic

Radium
13-01-2021, 10:44 PM
Did John Collins and Paul Kane come on as subs in the Swansea game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
13-01-2021, 10:51 PM
Did John Collins and Paul Kane come on as subs in the Swansea game?

Kano did make his debut and Willie Irvine #1 scored his first goal for HIBS

JC was 1985/86

Swansea were decent with 11 internationals Dai Davies Ray Kennedy Robbie James Bob Latchford and John Mahoney to name a few

Gogs Rae had a goal disallowed

Radium
13-01-2021, 10:59 PM
Was in the father and son section of the main stand. Swansea were a good team, sure that Toshack was the manager

SideBurns
13-01-2021, 11:26 PM
Kano did made his debut and Willie Irvine #1 scored his first goal for HIBS

JC was 1985/86

Swansea were decent with 11 internationals Dai Davies Ray Kennedy Robbie James Bob Latchford and John Mahoney to name a few

Gogs Rae had a goal disallowed

Pretty sure JC made his debut as a 16 year old in a friendly v Man City (think it was a 0-0 draw).

BILLYHIBS
13-01-2021, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=SideBurns;6419778]Pretty sure JC made his debut as a 16 year old in a friendly v Man City (think it was a 0-0 draw).[/QUOTE
👍🏿

3/8/1984

heretoday
13-01-2021, 11:51 PM
He played for Celts and in a game at Easter Road let in three goals against Hibs.

Yorkshire HFC
14-01-2021, 06:06 AM
Made his debut 27/11/1982 after signing from Jags for 60k in a 2-3 loss versus Celtic at home

Might be wrong but I attended the Celtic game and was excited at our new signing

Both HIBS goals scored by Simon Murray’s dad

Frank McGarvey 2 and Paul McStay for Celtic

Was Gary Murray Simon Murrays dad? I remember Bertie Auld saying that he would be a superstar after he scored the winner in a game against Celtic - it's a shame that didn't work out, but I remember him being great for a short spell then just sort of disappearing.

But anyway, Alan Rough - what a player. Impossible to choose between him, Leighton and Goram - an unbelievable run of great keepers. I loved them all, and all of them would be in the best 10 players I've ever seen playing for Hibs.

BILLYHIBS
14-01-2021, 06:08 AM
Was Gary Murray Simon Murrays dad? I remember Bertie Auld saying that he would be a superstar after he scored the winner in a game against Celtic - it's a shame that didn't work out, but I remember him being great for a short spell then just sort of disappearing.

But anyway, Alan Rough - what a player. Impossible to choose between him, Leighton and Goram - an unbelievable run of great keepers. I loved them all, and all of them would be in the best 10 players I've ever seen playing for Hibs.
:thumbsup:

SideBurns
14-01-2021, 08:08 AM

My granny was the postie in Gifford where Roughie stayed while at Hibs. She asked him to get me a Hibs mug for Christmas from the old shop underneath the stand, and he did; for that reason, he's my 2nd favourite Hibs goalie (behind Conrad 😁)

scoopyboy
14-01-2021, 08:22 AM
My granny was the postie in Gifford where Roughie stayed while at Hibs. She asked him to get me a Hibs mug for Christmas from the old shop underneath the stand, and he did; for that reason, he's my 2nd favourite Hibs goalie (behind Conrad 😁)

Hope he never dropped it:greengrin

He used to pop in for an occasional pint to the Tyneside in Haddington, he admitted to dropping six eggs in Gifford Store.

scoopyboy
14-01-2021, 08:24 AM

Still is :greengrin

Carheenlea
14-01-2021, 08:34 AM
Sports a natty collar and tie/V Neck Pringle combo for the official unveiling. Not a ripped jean, tattoo or white trainer in sight.

https://i.postimg.cc/wxSFVc9w/A10-EC45-D-0-AA2-4-F32-AF19-A0067295-EC19.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

G15 Hibs
14-01-2021, 08:40 AM
Sports a natty collar and tie/V Neck Pringle combo for the official unveiling. Not a ripped jean, tattoo or white trainer in sight.

A very well turned out man. The barber I used to go to in Musselburgh High Street had several photos of him on the walls (he had a sports shop in the town at the time) in a 'modelling a hairstyle' type fashion. I often wondered if anyone ever asked for a Roughie do. Never heard anyone.

Killiehibbie
14-01-2021, 08:52 AM
A very well turned out man. The barber I used to go to in Musselburgh High Street had several photos of him on the walls (he had a sports shop in the town at the time) in a 'modelling a hairstyle' type fashion. I often wondered if anyone ever asked for a Roughie do. Never heard anyone.

I'm certain that nobody ever requested a 1978 Roughie do

SideBurns
14-01-2021, 09:05 AM

He used to pop in for an occasional pint to the Tyneside in Haddington, he admitted to dropping six eggs in Gifford Store.

😄 to be fair to Roughie, eggs are the wrong shape for him. The Tyneside is a nice wee pub, hope it can open its doors again soon...

Iggy Pope
14-01-2021, 09:20 AM
Not sure if this has been asked before but in my old head I was convinced that Alan Roughs first game for Hibs was a night game against Swansea at ER- some sort of friendly quickly arranged and it was a horrible misty midweek night. I have no idea if I am just confused as the stats all say it was Celtic and we lost 3-2. Can anyone shed any light?

I have a photo somewhere taken from the top of the terracing that night. Through the mist you can just make out Roughie palming down a pass back. It was a Friday night. Must dig it out. It’s a hellish quality!

Carheenlea
14-01-2021, 09:55 AM
The signing of Alan Rough was a huge signing for Hibs at that time. He already had 51 full international caps but didn’t add too many more to that whilst at Hibs where he claims to have been at the best of his career.

BILLYHIBS
14-01-2021, 10:06 AM
I was in Cardiff 10/9/1985 for the World Cup match versus Wales

At half-time when the teams came back on to the pitch I was in the rammed Scotland end behind the goals

I spotted Roughie coming out so I started singing “ Scotland’s #1” as he was with HIBS then

Everyone wondered what I was on but he had replaced Jim Leighton who had lost a contact lens and he was about to play in the biggest game of his Scotland career

I think he won 2 Scotland caps whilst at HIBS

Pretty sure he has a soft spot for us

GGTTH

.Sean.
14-01-2021, 12:16 PM

Never realised he stayed in Gifford back then

.Sean.
14-01-2021, 12:17 PM
I have a photo somewhere taken from the top of the terracing that night. Through the mist you can just make out Roughie palming down a pass back. It was a Friday night. Must dig it out. It’s a hellish quality!
Try find that, would love to see it :aok:

Baader
14-01-2021, 12:26 PM
He played for Celts and in a game at Easter Road let in three goals against Hibs.

Remember that. 3-1. Steve Archibald got two of them. Just found the highlights here. Liked Roughie, he was great for Hibs.

https://youtu.be/aqFqi-RAzWU

bigwheel
14-01-2021, 12:55 PM
Remember that. 3-1. Steve Archibald got two of them. Just found the highlights here. Liked Roughie, he was great for Hibs.

https://youtu.be/aqFqi-RAzWU

had forgotten about that game - was a good watch that. Thanks for sharing

Hector Mudflap
14-01-2021, 01:04 PM

100 percent. I had been going with my dad to the main stand and was used to him shouting the odds at Mcarthur so when Alan Rough signed it was like Christmas. He is still up there with Leighton for me. The two are my favourites. I met Leighton at an Oil and Gas show in Aberdeen and he said that his time at Hibs was the happiest of his career. Funny thing I used to deliver rolls around the estate in Kirkcaldy where Mcarthur stayed - never bought a single one - git.

Yorkshire HFC
14-01-2021, 01:39 PM
100 percent. I had been going with my dad to the main stand and was used to him shouting the odds at Mcarthur so when Alan Rough signed it was like Christmas. He is still up there with Leighton for me. The two are my favourites. I met Leighton at an Oil and Gas show in Aberdeen and he said that his time at Hibs was the happiest of his career. Funny thing I used to deliver rolls around the estate in Kirkcaldy where Mcarthur stayed - never bought a single one - git.

LOL. He was a step up from Jim McArthur (who was pretty good) and Mike McDonald (who was .............).

Just a pity that Rough played in such a poor team.

Iggy Pope
14-01-2021, 01:52 PM

I’ll do my best. You’ll be disappointed!

Baader
14-01-2021, 04:05 PM

Leighton maintains he played the best football of his career at Hibs, which is quite something given how good he was for Aberdeen. He was outstanding for Hibs. I read an article where he said he loves the club. 👍

Iggy Pope
14-01-2021, 05:23 PM

Here you go Sean, they’re not great, taken with a ‘box brownie’! And it was a foggy night.
Roughie is unmistakeable and the other is the Hibs goal. I think we see Arthur Duncan in there,
a bit of Bobby Thomson and it could be Graham Harvey with his back to us.

Hibees1973
14-01-2021, 06:09 PM
😄 to be fair to Roughie, eggs are the wrong shape for him. The Tyneside is a nice wee pub, hope it can open its doors again soon...

The Tyneside in Haddington is my local.

Know it is one of the minor negatives about the lockdown but I'm missing going out for a pint just now. The Tyneside has roaring real fire during the winter and is a haven for a cracking pint and watching a big game.

Bearders
14-01-2021, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=BILLYHIBS;6419758]Made his debut 27/11/1982 after signing from Jags for 60k in a 2-3 loss versus Celtic at home

Scotland played Wales at rugby a few days later if I remember correctly. In those days HIBS club had many Welsh visitors as getting tickets for Murrayfield was difficult.

BILLYHIBS
14-01-2021, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=BILLYHIBS;6419758]Made his debut 27/11/1982 after signing from Jags for 60k in a 2-3 loss versus Celtic at home

Scotland played Wales at rugby a few days later if I remember correctly. In those days HIBS club had many Welsh visitors as getting tickets for Murrayfield was difficult.
Quite possibly the Swansea game was a Friday night IIRC weather wasn’t great but the Welsh would be up for the weekend

Bearders
14-01-2021, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=Bearders;6420505]
Quite possibly the Swansea game was a Friday night IIRC weather wasn’t great but the Welsh would be up for the weekend

Could well be correct Billy - over 37 years ago so these games take time coming back to me!

SideBurns
14-01-2021, 07:57 PM
The Tyneside in Haddington is my local.

Know it is one of the minor negatives about the lockdown but I'm missing going out for a pint just now. The Tyneside has roaring real fire during the winter and is a haven for a cracking pint and watching a big game.

It's not a minor negative of the lockdown as far as I'm concerned! Gasping for a pint in a pub.

Tyneside one of the nicest pubs in Haddington. I've been going to Gifford since I was a bairn, and enjoy visiting The Goblin and Tweeddale too. Wonder if Roughie ever took his custom there.

Bearders
14-01-2021, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=Bearders;6420505]

Could well be correct Billy - over 37 years ago so these games take time coming back to me!

Hector Mudflap
14-01-2021, 08:00 PM
That is exactly how I remember the weather, lovely of you to post. Looks like you were in the opposite side of the main stand. If I had had to put money on it I would have said Swansea were in all white. Strange how the memory becomes a truth. One thing I AM sure of was a big punt in to Hibs box and Rough running out and catching the ball with with one hand. I remember my dad turning to me and smiling. He had a deep dislike of Macarthur even before Rollgate.

Jeez I miss the games.

(and I miss my dad)

Peevemor
14-01-2021, 08:19 PM
That is exactly how I remember the weather, lovely of you to post. Looks like you were in the opposite side of the main stand. If I had had to put money on it I would have said Swansea were in all white. Strange how the memory becomes a truth. One thing I AM sure of was a big punt in to Hibs box and Rough running out and catching the ball with with one hand. I remember my dad turning to me and smiling. He had a deep dislike of Macarthur even before Rollgate.

Jeez I miss the games.

(and I miss my dad)I remember both the Swansea & Celtic matches mentioned.

Obviously it's pretty hazy/vague, but the Swansea game was cold & boring. Despite being beaten by Celtic, it was a really exciting, enjoyable match.

Lancs Harp
14-01-2021, 08:29 PM
Re-enjoy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPYJ57pMHdA&ab_channel=AndyMurdoch

Peevemor
14-01-2021, 09:35 PM
Re-enjoy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPYJ57pMHdA&ab_channel=AndyMurdochBrilliant thanks!

A Stuart Turnbull assist for Hibs 1st goal - WTF?

BILLYHIBS
14-01-2021, 09:40 PM
Re-enjoy

Brilliant!

Thanks for posting

Looks as though Roughie is wearing the Welsh goalie’s top from Anfield

I remember Budgie used to wear his own tops as well

Good to see Bobby Smith again and Tommy Burns and Davie Moyes playing for Celtic

Peevemor
14-01-2021, 10:39 PM
Brilliant!

Thanks for posting

Looks as though Roughie is wearing the Welsh goalie’s top from Anfield

I remember Budgie used to wear his own tops as well

Good to see Bobby Smith again and Tommy Burns and Davie Moyes playing for CelticI only really saw Bobby Smith in his second spell at ER. He was definitely one of my favourite players.

highland hibbee
15-01-2021, 04:54 AM
:thumbsup:

Didn’t Roughie come on in place of Leighton in the World Cup qualifying against Wales when Jock Stein passed away?
Had to make the change because Leighton lost a contact lense?

BILLYHIBS
15-01-2021, 06:56 AM
Didn’t Roughie come on in place of Leighton in the World Cup qualifying against Wales when Jock Stein passed away?
Had to make the change because Leighton lost a contact lense?

Yes please see my earlier post #20 but he also played at Anfield when JJ handled the ball in the box and King Kenny scored the winner pulling off one brilliant save from John Toshack

Iggy Pope
15-01-2021, 04:52 PM

Jeez I miss the games.

(and I miss my dad)

The photos were taken exactly opposite the Main Stand North. You’ll notice Hibs in green shorts too.
Great memories for you of your dad, I get the same.

MartinfaePorty
15-01-2021, 05:25 PM
Re-enjoy

Random highlights of Crystal Palace v Wolves at the end, with Budgie in the Wolves goal having a bit of 'mare with one of the goals! Wolves winning 4-3.

Iggy Pope
15-01-2021, 06:27 PM
Programme of the Swansea game with a young Graham Harvey on the cover and the following home v Motherwell with a shot of big Gordon’s disallowed effort.

Wish I could make these attachments bigger. These are uploading at actual size...