PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Strongest XI

alihibs1
12-01-2021, 05:01 PM
With Irvine signing, Cadden on his way and a fully fit squad. (Which is obviously very unlikely.)

What would be our strongest starting 11?

I’d go for:

Marciano

Mcginn
Porteous
Hanlon
Doig

Newell
Irvine
Allan

Boyle
Nisbet
Murphy

That would also leave us with a strong bench, something we’ve not seen this season with the likes of Doidge, Cadden (Hopefully) Mallan, Gogic, Hallberg, Magennis, Stevenson, Gullan.

I still think we’re a centre back and possibly a striker short but with the new signings, on paper it looks like not only a quality starting 11 but also a quality squad with plenty different options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diclonius
12-01-2021, 05:05 PM
Marciano

McGinn Porteous Hanlon Doig

Newell Irvine

Allan

Boyle Nisbet Murphy

EDIT: Did this without looking at OP and see we've picked the same team!:greengrin

Steve88
12-01-2021, 05:19 PM
Rocky

McGinn Porteous Doig

Irvine
Boyle Murphy
Newell Allan

Nisbet Doige

3-5-2 allows us to get a foothold in midfield and with the creativity of Newell + Allan create chances for our forwards; Plus, the threat of our wingers gives us additional options (As opposed to our current strategy of hoofing it to Boyle..

Can't decide between Irvine or Gogic

hibby6270
12-01-2021, 05:53 PM
First 3 lineups would do me.
As for the Gogic or Irvine question? My recollection of Irvine during his time at Ross County was he’s very similar to Gogic. Runs around in an ungainly style but has a bit more skill and probably more of a goal threat. So Irvine for me.
If you think back, SJM was of a similar ilk when he first arrived and turned into a bit of a gem. Maybe Irvine on his travels has honed his play for the better and may well fit right in.

Dazzjw1875
12-01-2021, 05:55 PM
Think you will prob find JI will of made sure he starts games he is fit, he won't come here to sit on the bench

hfc-1875
12-01-2021, 06:06 PM
With Irvine signing, Cadden on his way and a fully fit squad. (Which is obviously very unlikely.)

I’d go for:

Marciano

Mcginn
Porteous
Hanlon
Doig

Newell
Irvine
Allan

Boyle
Nisbet
Murphy

That would also leave us with a strong bench, something we’ve not seen this season with the likes of Doidge, Cadden (Hopefully) Mallan, Gogic, Hallberg, Magennis, Stevenson, Gullan.

I still think we’re a centre back and possibly a striker short but with the new signings, on paper it looks like not only a quality starting 11 but also a quality squad with plenty different options.

Bang on for me! Another couple of additions and as u say we would have a healthy looking bench too.

HibeeHibernian4
12-01-2021, 09:28 PM
Marciano

McGinn Porteous Hanlon

Boyle Irvine Newell Murphy

Allan

Nisbet Doidge

We'll win every game 5-4. See if people will still call Ross boring then!

Andy74
12-01-2021, 09:31 PM
Our best 11 players might not make the best team. It is tricky finding a formation that gets everyone you would want on the pitch in the right position.

We don’t seem to play well with a 1 or a 3 up front for example so Nisbet is better with Doidge, but if you want 3 in midfield and our wide players it doesn’t work.

bingo70
12-01-2021, 09:43 PM
Our best 11 players might not make the best team. It is tricky finding a formation that gets everyone you would want on the pitch in the right position.

We don’t seem to play well with a 1 or a 3 up front for example so Nisbet is better with Doidge, but if you want 3 in midfield and our wide players it doesn’t work.

Genuine question here as I’m not sure.

Do you think that’s good management that allows us to change formations as and when it suits or poor management as we’ve not signed players to suit a system and is a bit of a mish mash of decent individuals?

Imo when picking our best team, Nisbett and Doidge need tk be up front together. Murphy and Boyle need to be played as wingers, not wing backs. A 4-4-2 with 2 central midfielders doesn’t work any more as we just get over run in midfield. We also have far too many central midfielders just to play with 2 in midfield.

I don’t know our best 11 and I’m not sure Ross does either, more than half way through our season I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

Nicho87
12-01-2021, 09:46 PM
Marciano

Boyle Irvine Newell Murphy

Allan

Nisbet

AlbertK86
12-01-2021, 10:00 PM
Marciano

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon

Cadden
Newell
Irvine
Allan/Magennis/Murphy
Doig

Boyle
Nisbet

The Modfather
12-01-2021, 10:15 PM

Do you think that’s good management that allows us to change formations as and when it suits or poor management as we’ve not signed players to suit a system and is a bit of a mish mash of decent individuals?

Imo when picking our best team, Nisbett and Doidge need tk be up front together. Murphy and Boyle need to be played as wingers, not wing backs. A 4-4-2 with 2 central midfielders doesn’t work any more as we just get over run in midfield. We also have far too many central midfielders just to play with 2 in midfield.

I don’t know our best 11 and I’m not sure Ross does either, more than half way through our season I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

I think 3-5-2 is our best formation for what we have and it’s probably Murphy who has to be reluctantly sacrificed, or competing for a place up front or a fee role in the midfield 3. The flip side being Murphy is probably one of our best attacking players, when fit.

Marciano
Hanlon Porteous McGinn
Doig Magennis Newell Irvine Boyle
Nisbet Doidge

I do think there has been an element of signing players and then working out how to fit them in later.

danhibees1875
13-01-2021, 07:28 AM
I think 3-5-2 is our best formation for what we have and it’s probably Murphy who has to be reluctantly sacrificed, or competing for a place up front or a fee role in the midfield 3. The flip side being Murphy is probably one of our best attacking players, when fit.

Marciano
Hanlon Porteous McGinn
Doig Magennis Newell Irvine Boyle
Nisbet Doidge

I do think there has been an element of signing players and then working out how to fit them in later.

That's what I'd go for. :agree:

Allan and Murphy could feel hard done by, and could be in there depending on how Magennis and Irvine do. Gogic also.

But in terms of shape, I think that's the best set up. It's been the only option for as long as we've had Boyle if you don't like 1 upfront.

Not In The Know
13-01-2021, 07:41 AM
That's what I'd go for. :agree:

Allan and Murphy could feel hard done by, and could be in there depending on how Magennis and Irvine do. Gogic also.

But in terms of shape, I think that's the best set up. It's been the only option for as long as we've had Boyle if you don't like 1 upfront.

id say Murphy ahead of Boyle of the moment.

flash
13-01-2021, 07:42 AM
No danger we are leaving a fully fit Scott Allan out.

Smartie
13-01-2021, 07:57 AM
It depends who we’re playing.

Against Rangers or Celtic our best XI has to include Gogic.

Irvine is a good signing because he should be able to play with most of the other midfielders but we’ve still got a lot of players we can only play 1 of - Gogic, Mallan, Allan etc.

It would be great to get Allan back into the team with the right players around him allowing him to do what he does best.

And I don’t think a formation exists that allows us to play all of our best players, we still need to accept that we probably have to have at least 3 good players sitting out to get anything like the right blend to the team.

Ozyhibby
13-01-2021, 08:06 AM
Marciano

Mcginn
Porteous
Hanlon
Doig

Gogic
Magennis
Irvine

Boyle
Nisbet
Doidge

jacomo
13-01-2021, 08:08 AM
First 3 lineups would do me.
As for the Gogic or Irvine question? My recollection of Irvine during his time at Ross County was he’s very similar to Gogic. Runs around in an ungainly style but has a bit more skill and probably more of a goal threat. So Irvine for me.
If you think back, SJM was of a similar ilk when he first arrived and turned into a bit of a gem. Maybe Irvine on his travels has honed his play for the better and may well fit right in.

Irvine is much more of a box to box midfielder, sometimes plays in a more advanced role. Could play instead of Gogic or alongside him.

Brightside
13-01-2021, 08:18 AM

I don’t think Murphy is at his best as a winger. I like him behind a solo striker or in a 3 in a 4231. Boyle for me is the only old school winger we have.

Brightside
13-01-2021, 08:21 AM
Rocky
McGinn. Porto. Hanlon. Doig.

Newall. Irvine.

Boyle. Allan. Murphy / Magennis

Niz

We have so many options now.

S4uzee
13-01-2021, 08:32 AM
I like a 3-5-2. Gives us 3 players in CM and allows us to have 2 strikers.

Marciano

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon

Boyle
Magennis/Murphy
Irvine
Newell
Doig

Nisbet
Murphy/Doidge

Fergus52
13-01-2021, 08:43 AM
Marciano

Mcginn
Porteous
Hanlon
Doig

Gogic
Magennis
Irvine

Boyle
Nisbet
Doidge

No Newell is a bold choice, has probably been our best player this season. Don't think Magennis has shown enough to start over him.

Seen some other lineups with Murphy at LWB which is a terrible shout imo, we'd get destroyed down that side of the pitch if we actually tried that in a game, he's never a wingback.

neil7908
13-01-2021, 08:50 AM
Marciano

Newell Irvine

Allan

Boyle Nisbet Murphy

EDIT: Did this without looking at OP and see we've picked the same team!:greengrin

This, this and this. Lovely looking team.

Gogic, Doidge and Magennis to come in depending on the opposition.

Smartie
13-01-2021, 08:55 AM
No Newell is a bold choice, has probably been our best player this season. Don't think Magennis has shown enough to start over him.

Seen some other lineups with Murphy at LWB which is a terrible shout imo, we'd get destroyed down that side of the pitch if we actually tried that in a game, he's never a wingback.

TBH accommodating Murphy is the hardest job I've got when it comes to putting a best team together and he's one of my favourite players.

I'm not convinced we don't lose the best of Boyle playing him at WB rather than in a more attacking role.

We don't have a striker that plays well up from on their own / as part of a 3 up front. I've never been entirely convinced by Hibs playing that way either, full stop (although I know many other clubs make it work).

A "best team" has a good few of our best players sitting on the bench imo, and that's still probably accommodating a compromise of some sort.

Marciano

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon

Boyle
Jackson
Newell
Doig

Allan

Nisbet
Doidge

Much of Hibs best football over the years has been playing 3 at the back. We see more from Hanlon that way, he's one of our best players in that system, not always so great in a pair. Doig is, I think, a cracking WB. The strikers need to be in a pair, neither of them work on their own. Allan has plenty to hit with those passes. I don't love Boyle at WB, but not sure how we get around that and play 2 strikers, and Allan. I still think we build the team around Scott Allan.

BlackSheep
13-01-2021, 09:01 AM
The fact that there are a fair few of the teams being listed that have Boyle up top in a 2 worries me.... not a lot but its concerning all the same.

I think Boyle up top with Nisbet is a good fall back, but i think we need a out and out striker up there who will compliment Nisbet.... we are shaping up to have a very competitive midfield that will trouble most teams in our league, so i think we can afford to get another forward player like Nisbet or a poacher instead of a target man like Doidge.

I like Doidge, but he has been quite inconsistent through his hibs time.... when he is on good form then wow, but thats been few and far between recently. I have a suspicion he is too personally competitive with Nisbet when it comes to goals, obviously feeling he needs to score as many if not more.... I feel like i have seen this get in the way of him playing a better pass or knock down, or even trying to hard in other ways.

There's a time and a place for a target man, much like there's a time and a place for a midfield enforcer like Gogic.... but our strongest team shouldn't include either Dodge or Gogic, for most games that is.

Nisbet is a skilful player as well as a goalscorer so a poacher who can be in the box no matter what is what we need i think... a cummings-esque player would be great.

Andy74
13-01-2021, 09:11 AM
The fact that there are a fair few of the teams being listed that have Boyle up top in a 2 worries me.... not a lot but its concerning all the same.

I think Boyle up top with Nisbet is a good fall back, but i think we need a out and out striker up there who will compliment Nisbet.... we are shaping up to have a very competitive midfield that will trouble most teams in our league, so i think we can afford to get another forward player like Nisbet or a poacher instead of a target man like Doidge.

I like Doidge, but he has been quite inconsistent through his hibs time.... when he is on good form then wow, but thats been few and far between recently. I have a suspicion he is too personally competitive with Nisbet when it comes to goals, obviously feeling he needs to score as many if not more.... I feel like i have seen this get in the way of him playing a better pass or knock down, or even trying to hard in other ways.

There's a time and a place for a target man, much like there's a time and a place for a midfield enforcer like Gogic.... but our strongest team shouldn't include either Dodge or Gogic, for most games that is.

Nisbet is a skilful player as well as a goalscorer so a poacher who can be in the box no matter what is what we need i think... a cummings-esque player would be great.

Disagree entirely on Doidge. Think he is pretty unselfish and does an awful lot to bring other players into the game. We looked much better going forward during the week when he came on and his presence helped with the goal.

He is no more inconsistent when it comes to scoring goals than most other strikers. His stats are up there with any player of his type.

There is a fascination now though with watching him and looking for a fault. Try watching any game of football at any level and watch their striker pretending it was Doidge. You'd be seeing exactly the same type of misses and sometimes losing the ball. Nisbet got a lot of praise the other night but up to the goal, if that was Doidge he would have been slaughtered by that point for losing the ball in good positions and for his finish when he was through.

I don't think he is just a target man. He's the same size as Nisbet, he just has that strength and touch to keep the ball and get others in the game. An important part of the team and we should be happy with him rather than the likes of Kamberi trying to flick everything coming to him or falling over every time he's near a defender.

Greenbeard
13-01-2021, 09:15 AM
]It depends who we’re playing.[/B]

Against Rangers or Celtic our best XI has to include Gogic.

Irvine is a good signing because he should be able to play with most of the other midfielders but we’ve still got a lot of players we can only play 1 of - Gogic, Mallan, Allan etc.

It would be great to get Allan back into the team with the right players around him allowing him to do what he does best.

And I don’t think a formation exists that allows us to play all of our best players, we still need to accept that we probably have to have at least 3 good players sitting out to get anything like the right blend to the team.
Aye. Best formation/team when we expect c.40% possession and hitting on the break versus best formation/team when we expect c.60% possession. Maybe even best formation/team when it's a straight 50/50 game such as the forthcoming semi?

BlackSheep
13-01-2021, 09:20 AM
Disagree entirely on Doidge. Think he is pretty unselfish and does an awful lot to bring other players into the game. We looked much better going forward during the week when he came on and his presence helped with the goal.

He is no more inconsistent when it comes to scoring goals than most other strikers. His stats are up there with any player of his type.

There is a fascination now though with watching him and looking for a fault. Try watching any game of football at any level and watch their striker pretending it was Doidge. You'd be seeing exactly the same type of misses and sometimes losing the ball. Nisbet got a lot of praise the other night but up to the goal, if that was Doidge he would have been slaughtered by that point for losing the ball in good positions and for his finish when he was through.

I don't think he is just a target man. He's the same size as Nisbet, he just has that strength and touch to keep the ball and get others in the game. An important part of the team and we should be happy with him rather than the likes of Kamberi trying to flick everything coming to him or falling over every time he's near a defender.

I don't watch him looking fault, but i do recognise when missed chances are bothering him, he doesn't let it affect his confidence but i do think you can see when it gets to him... he is mad at himself, and yes you see this in a lot of players but ive seen it build up over a game and more often than not he drifts out in the second half at times.

Like i said i like Doidge, but his presence can lead to us just lumping long balls to him rather than try to play football....

Greenbeard
13-01-2021, 09:23 AM

Same height, totally different style of play, primarily because Doidge is considerably slower than Nisbet. Doidge is slow twitch; Nisbet is fast twitch. No way would Doidge have got himself into the position Nisbet did to receive that pass from Murphy which put him through with a good sight of the Tic goal. Hence why Doidge is mostly a target man.

B.H.F.C
13-01-2021, 09:25 AM
I don't watch him looking fault, but i do recognise when missed chances are bothering him, he doesn't let it affect his confidence but i do think you can see when it gets to him... he is mad at himself, and yes you see this in a lot of players but ive seen it build up over a game and more often than not he drifts out in the second half at times.

Like i said i like Doidge, but his presence can lead to us just lumping long balls to him rather than try to play football....

Doidge hasn’t been good this season. He’s not scored enough goals, certainly for the volume of chances he’s had.

I think he’s suffered in that when he’s not been playing well we’ve had to keep him in the team due to lack of options.

I think there is a place for him in our squad but he needs some competition.

MrRobot
13-01-2021, 09:36 AM

I’d go for:

Marciano

Mcginn
Porteous
Hanlon
Doig

Newell
Irvine
Allan

Boyle
Nisbet
Murphy

This looks a good team to me. Still think we need another striker and possibly another CB, depending on the Cadden signing.

Potty78
13-01-2021, 10:09 AM
I prefer the 352 formation so if cadden was to come in I'd go Marciano, Hanlon, McGinn and Porto. Doig and cadden as wing backs. Middle three of Newell, Irvine and Murphy with Boyle beside Nisbet up top. Can easily change to a 442 if needed. The left back/wing back is still an issue for me, doig doesn't last 90 and lewis ain't so good going forward. Like to see us sign a left back in the summer ��

Jones28
13-01-2021, 10:35 AM
Marciano
Irvine Newall
Boyle Allan Murphy
Nisbet

or

Cadden McGinn Porteous(sweeper) Hanlon Doig
Irvine
Allan Newall
Boyle Nisbet

or

Mcginn Porteous Hanlon Doig
Cadden Irvine Newall Murphy
Boyle Nisbet

calumhibee1
13-01-2021, 12:44 PM
Marciano
Irvine Newall
Boyle Allan Murphy
Nisbet

or

Irvine
Allan Newall
Boyle Nisbet

or

Boyle Nisbet

Team one would be mine :agree:

Jones28
13-01-2021, 12:46 PM
Team one would be mine :agree:

Is that you agreeing with me on something Calum?! :love ya!:

HibeeHibernian4
13-01-2021, 12:48 PM
Doidge hasn’t been good this season. He’s not scored enough goals, certainly for the volume of chances he’s had.

I think he’s suffered in that when he’s not been playing well we’ve had to keep him in the team due to lack of options.

I think there is a place for him in our squad but he needs some competition.

There's no Nisbet goal on Monday night without Doidge making a nuisance of himself.

Jones28
13-01-2021, 12:53 PM
There's no Nisbet goal on Monday night without Doidge making a nuisance of himself.

He causes the opposition problems, but when a striker isn't scoring goals and people aren't watching the games in person it's difficult to pick out the points at which Doidge is making a nuisance of himself - that goal aside.

I think Doidge is an important player for us but I do think we need someone who can come off the bench after Doidge has had 65/70 minutes and change the game up.

Since452
13-01-2021, 12:58 PM
Marciano
Irvine Newall
Boyle Allan Murphy
Nisbet

or

Irvine
Allan Newall
Boyle Nisbet

or

Boyle Nisbet

3rd one for me. Looks very strong and balanced.

scoopyboy
13-01-2021, 01:00 PM
Although this type of thread is interesting I'm not sure it is relevant without knowing who the opposition are and possibly where the game is being played.

At home v Hamilton could be a different system altogether to facing Rangers at Ibrox.

jacomo
13-01-2021, 01:37 PM
I prefer the 352 formation so if cadden was to come in I'd go Marciano, Hanlon, McGinn and Porto. Doig and cadden as wing backs. Middle three of Newell, Irvine and Murphy with Boyle beside Nisbet up top. Can easily change to a 442 if needed. The left back/wing back is still an issue for me, doig doesn't last 90 and lewis ain't so good going forward. Like to see us sign a left back in the summer ��

Jack Ross definitely favours a back 4 though so it pays to consider a best 11 with that set up.

And again, this is Josh Doig’s first season in the first team squad. His stamina will improve with time. He has everything to suggest he will become our regular left back.

Unseen work
14-01-2021, 12:56 AM
If you look at our squad as a whole we do actually have a lot of quality, but also quite heavy in some positions but light in others. A lot of potential to trade our way into a very good squad. Below is including all players, including those on loan.

......................Marciano...............

McGinn....Porteous.....Hanlon.....Mackie/Doig

................Irvine............Newell.....

Boyle...................Allan..................Mur phy.....

..........................Nisbet...........

Fight for a place on the Bench;

Macey
Gray
McGregor
Doig/Mackie
Stevenson
Gogic
Mallan
Hallberg
McGinn
Magennis
Cadden - Hopefully announced today.
Wright
Gullan
Bradley
Doidge

On loan;

Martin
Dabrowski
Yeates
Campbell
Fairley - Heard very good things and he’s only 17. Also out on loan at a good level already
Tom James
Fraser Murray
Innes Murray
Shanley

We could potentially have a strong second string with those available

.....................Macey..............

Gray......McGregor.......Gogic.......Stevenson.... ..

Cadden.......Hallberg.....Magennis.......Wright... ...

..........................Mallan........

..........................Doidge.......

I appreciate that defence strikes the fear into folk however I was trying not to reuse players or do a 3 at the back with Gray, Mcgegor and Stevenson.

For me it shows we need added cover in centre half and centre forward. With us being very heavy in the centre of the park and left back.

If possible I’d be happy with the following leaving this summer and don’t think it would really impact our team at all. It would also add a decent amount of money to potentially spend. We seem to have a lot of players but not contributing much as they’re emergency options.

Martin
Gray
Tom James
McGregor
Stevenson
Stephen McGinn
Fraser Murray
Innes Murray

calumhibee1
14-01-2021, 07:46 AM
Is that you agreeing with me on something Calum?! :love ya!:

It is indeed, who’d’a thunk it :greengrin