PDA

View Full Version : Mallan

keep the faith
11-01-2021, 09:39 PM
Should be starting ahead of Hallberg. Always offers an outlet and is delivery can be top drawer.

I really like Mallan and think that with the confidence and aggression I'm starting to see, he could be a very useful player going forward.
He is still young and is worth our support I think.

Vault Boy
11-01-2021, 09:43 PM
Made a difference for us when he came on. Has that bit of something special that can bring point winning moments, even if he's not going to go out and boss the midfield battle.

Stuart93
11-01-2021, 09:44 PM
I feel Mallan has a lot more impact when he comes off the bench and the other team are tiring. He had no effect whatsoever when he started against livi, mind you no-one did so I’m not singling him out for that.

Really think he gives us more when he comes off the bench though

Sammy7nil
11-01-2021, 09:45 PM
I like him too but he often does not do enough of the dirty work to hold down a place hence Hallberg with half his talent gets in ahead of him.

hibee1875
11-01-2021, 09:45 PM
I think he’d do well for the 90 with the right combination in the midfield. At the minute tho we don’t have someone who will cover him.

Sometimes I feel we were spoiled with John McGinn and we’ll not see the likes again but I reckon Mallan would be a stand out playing alongside him

calumhibee1
11-01-2021, 09:46 PM
A total enigma. Clearly has ability, I’d even go as far to say more ability than the majority of our squad but he just doesn’t show it nearly enough.

Done well tonight though.

HibeeHibernian4
Can't wait for Irvine to come in and hopefully blow both out the water, frankly.

BSEJVT
Should be starting ahead of Hallberg. Always offers an outlet and is delivery can be top drawer.

I really like Mallan and think that with the confidence and aggression I'm starting to see, he could be a very useful player going forward.

If we could get the Stevie Mallan we first signed back I would agree, sadly I think that ship has sailed.

I wonder if its a question of desire, he always looks more energetic and quicker when he has the ball or is running with it or onto it but trying to jump, tackle or run without the ball he looks miles off it.

IMO we are either going to have to give him a run of games to see if he can get back up to speed, deploy him in a number 10 role and drop Doidge or get rid.

Having said that there is no way he would ever show the energy or application Nisbet does in that role when asked to play it.

I dont think there is a cats chance in hell of the last season and a half's Stevie Mallan getting a new contract

Stevie Reid
I feel Mallan has a lot more impact when he comes off the bench and the other team are tiring. He had no effect whatsoever when he started against livi, mind you no-one did so I’m not singling him out for that.

Really think he gives us more when he comes off the bench

Agree with this. Really like him but I thought he’d deliver much more than he has since he signed. Was delighted when we got him.

A really good option off the bench. Can’t complain at not starting given how his season has been thus far. Been quite unfortunate with injuries to be fair.

Lancs Harp
11-01-2021, 09:47 PM
Made a difference for us when he came on. Has that bit of something special that can bring point winning moments, even if he's not going to go out and boss the midfield battle.

Think thats the issue for many. If there's a midfield battle then he doesn't exist. I find him frustrating got some ability but for me doesn't apply himself well enough or consistently enough. I think he will always be on the periphery at Hibs. A nearly man.

we are hibs
11-01-2021, 09:55 PM
Can't wait for Irvine to come in and hopefully blow both out the water, frankly.

100%. Id be moving both Mallan and Hallberg on either this month or in the summer.

THESHIP
11-01-2021, 09:59 PM
Let’s be honest, Mallan isn’t good enough for hibs. The fact he hasn’t managed to force his way into a midfield that has consisted of mainly Hallberg and Wright tells us all we need to know. He cannot be relied upon and his time is running out at Hibs.

keep the faith
11-01-2021, 10:06 PM
100%. Id be moving both Mallan and Hallberg on either this month or in the summer.

Mallan is better with better players around him. You can see how he links with Murphy and Newall. He saved the day against alloa and again tonight.
I'm not saying he is anywhere near consistent enough, but in my view I see improvement, better work rate and influence recently and I wouldnt be too hasty in moving him on. Irvine and Caddis are very good workman like players, but ability like Mallan doesn't grow on trees and I would like to see him get a last chance.
No way Wright or Hallberg should be starting ahead of him.

BSEJVT
11-01-2021, 10:18 PM
Mallan is better with better players around him. You can see how he links with Murphy and Newall. He saved the day against alloa and again tonight.
I'm not saying he is anywhere near consistent enough, but in my view I see improvement, better work rate and influence recently and I wouldnt be too hasty in moving him on. Irvine and Caddis are very good workman like players, but ability like Mallan doesn't grow on trees and I would like to see him get a last chance.
No way Wright or Hallberg should be starting ahead of him.

On pure ability I would 100% agree

But playing in a team with Mallan in it is like being a man short when we are out of possession and our other midfielders aren't good enough to cover that burden.

He needs to find a way to be more effective when we don't have the ball or his chances will be extremely limited

Either that or he needs to move on

He would do a lot better after a run of games and an improvement in fitness, but I don't see that chance presenting itself at ER

I might be tempted to put him out on loan if we got more boides in, to see if he can recapture his early fitness & form

The Modfather
11-01-2021, 10:23 PM
If you could combine him with Hallberg you’d have a good player. Someone else said about Hallberg that he runs about a lot without actually doing all that much. Mallan is immobile but can do something when he has it.

Think you play one of them and the other player seems a better option, and repeat. Neither good enough mid-long term.

howdenthehibby
11-01-2021, 10:25 PM
On pure ability I would 100% agree

But playing in a team with Mallan in it is like being a man short when we are out of possession and our other midfielders aren't good enough to cover that burden.

He needs to find a way to be more effective when we don't have the ball or his chances will be extremely limited

Either that or he needs to move on

He would do a lot better after a run of games and an improvement in fitness, but I don't see that chance presenting itself at ER

I might be tempted to put him out on loan if we got more boides in, to see if he can recapture his early fitness & formof course you're right mate,you know what ! We just need Scott Allan back and we can forget about Mallan.

J-C
11-01-2021, 10:28 PM
Strange one, when he 1st came in he was a breathe of fresh air, scoring long range goals dictating tempo, now he hardly gets a start. Don't think Ross is a big fan but he's a decent squad player, theres times he looks disinterested and other times he's really good. Just another Hibs player who blows hot and cold on a regular basis and the reason he's with us and not at a higher level.

GreenCastle
11-01-2021, 10:30 PM
Play him behind 2 strikers with 2 grafters in midfield and he will score goals / assists.

Play him deep and don’t get the goals / assists.

Ask him to do box to box and he can’t do that as doesn’t have energy / aggression.

Hermit Crab
11-01-2021, 10:34 PM

Is that anything more than a rumour just now?

gaz1875
11-01-2021, 10:52 PM
He's great at times in a cameo role, but when he starts he's not great. I always think he should play just behind the strikers and no where near a workman role in the midfield.

Hibee Mac
11-01-2021, 11:06 PM
Play him behind 2 strikers with 2 grafters in midfield and he will score goals / assists.

Ask him to do box to box and he can’t do that as doesn’t have energy / aggression.I think this is a bit of a myth now, he's been played on the 10 role multiple times to no avail.

He also chooses to drop really deep and he's done it under multiple managers now, I don't think it's an instruction. He can't handle being pressured when receiving the ball and/or with his back to goal so he very often drops between the centre halfs to receive it.

In all honesty I don't think there is a position on the pitch for Stevie Mallan now at this level, he's the type who will look outstanding in the championship but his lack of athleticism or ability when pressurised lets him down

MWHIBBIES
12-01-2021, 04:36 AM

Ask him to do box to box and he can’t do that as doesn’t have energy / aggression.

He has had plenty of chances in that role. Never done better than Allan on his worst day.

heretoday
12-01-2021, 05:10 AM
He's great at times and poor at other times. Classic Hibs midfielder!

Since90+2
12-01-2021, 05:44 AM
He was good when he came on. He moved the ball forward and quickly at every opportunity, took a fantastic free kick that lead to the goal.

Can't really ask much more for the amount of time he was on the park. I'd start him on Saturday.

HibeeHibernian4
12-01-2021, 03:51 PM
Is that anything more than a rumour just now?

Now it's more but I confess I was not ITK. :greengrin

basehibby
12-01-2021, 04:37 PM

Mallan is a tremendous talent with the ball at his feet but as has often been discussed on here, he's not so much of an asset when we are trying to win the ball back. Hallberg meanwhile has a bit of everything and will track back and win the ball as well as get into the box on occasion. I think that's what got Hallberg the starting slot on Monday - Ross trying to achieve a balance in midfield would have had an eye on our ability to win the ball back from Celtic in the midfield as well as the ability to create. Mallan will get more opportunities to start this season - just hope he takes the game by the scruff of the neck and makes himself undropable.

Hibiza
12-01-2021, 04:53 PM
I've been a critic . Hope he pushes on well done Stevie for recent performances. Keep it going sur.

allezsauzee
12-01-2021, 06:30 PM
Mallan is a completely different type player to Hallberg so it's a bit like saying Doidge should always be starting before Murphy or vice versa. Depends on who else is in the team and our opposition. I think they both have something to offer the squad.

The 90+2
12-01-2021, 06:53 PM
He’s still a young guy developing as a footballer and we are trying to figure out what he’s best used for. Releasing Mallan would be daft.

Shrekko
12-01-2021, 06:55 PM
He has had plenty of chances in that role. Never done better than Allan on his worst day.

That is just utter nonsense - complete garbage.

I’m a big Scott Allan fan but Scotty on his worst day is pretty much a man short. To say Mallan has never done better than THAT is just ridiculous considering some of his contributions even as an impact sub.

JimBHibees
12-01-2021, 06:59 PM
He’s still a young guy developing as a footballer and we are trying to figure out what he’s best used for. Releasing Mallan would be daft.

Agree like him as a player. Probably best off the bench but Alloa game showed what he is capable of. Put in a great ball for the goal last night and had a couple of decent efforts.

lord bunberry
13-01-2021, 08:33 AM
I’ve always likes Mallan, there’s no doubting his ability, but he’s beginning to turn into Slyvka mark 2. He comes off the bench, looks great, starts the next week and does nothing. He’s probably worth keeping just for his impact value, but I’m not sure he’s going to be happy coming off the bench every week. Has he got another year on his contract?

MWHIBBIES
13-01-2021, 08:34 AM
That is just utter nonsense - complete garbage.

I’m a big Scott Allan fan but Scotty on his worst day is pretty much a man short. To say Mallan has never done better than THAT is just ridiculous considering some of his contributions even as an impact sub.
In that position, for Hibs, he has never reached Allan's level. Allan is a level above.

Greenbeard
13-01-2021, 09:05 AM
In that position, for Hibs, he has never reached Allan's level. Allan is a level above.
Agree, but if both are 100% and on their game (which admittedly has not always been the case for Mallan since his first season), then not massively. For both, it depends how JR is setting up and the planned formation. And as often said in the past, you can't fit both on the pitch at the same time without seriously compromising the battling and ball-winning attributes of the midfield. You can even argue that that is the case with just one of them in the midfield, hence why the duracell Gogic from the Celtic game is vital to do some of their share of the graft. But if Allan can get back to his best then yes I'd see him starting, with Mallan as his cover on the bench. Allan is going to need time though and it will be the other way round for a few weeks once Allan is available again for a match day squad.

Andy74
13-01-2021, 09:13 AM

Hallberg has been great since coming back in and works his socks off all over the park. Mallan has great ability and is effective when coming on chasing the game but right now Hallberg deserves a place for being able to play that position effectively from the start of games.

MrRobot
13-01-2021, 09:31 AM
Hallberg has been great since coming back in and works his socks off all over the park. Mallan has great ability and is effective when coming on chasing the game but right now Hallberg deserves a place for being able to play that position effectively from the start of games.

I agree, Hallberg has done really well since getting back into the team and has shown more than Mallan IMO so deserves his place. I think both players will struggle for game time though when we can have a combination of Newell, Irvine and Allan. That will potentially be our best midfield 3 since McGinn, McGeouch and Allan.

Onion
13-01-2021, 09:43 AM
No question Mallan is capable of providing a moment of brilliance, which is all the more welcome when the team under Ross is so dull and predictable. However, if we had the decent, well balanced midfield we should have at Hibs, Mallan would been where near it.

Shrekko
13-01-2021, 10:09 AM

Not arguing with that - that’s not how you phrased it previously though and what you said was nonsense.

Since452
13-01-2021, 12:53 PM
Mallan is a far better sub than he is starter. When he comes on i always feel he'll produce a bit of brilliance. Don't get that feeling when he starts. Strange. Extremely talented player.