11-01-2021, 09:25 PM

So how come he played?

hibee_girl
11-01-2021, 09:26 PM
Strachan said he was allowed to play following a negative test :dunno:

Andy74
11-01-2021, 09:29 PM

So how come he played?

Because Kennedy didn’t understand what he was talking about when he said that.

There aren’t bubbles. There are protocols, testing and exemptions.

He was travelling as an elite sport person so was exempt from isolating. He had a negative test before the match and so he could play.

It is not correct to say he left a bubble or that he can’t travel on his own and still be exempt.

SaulGoodman
11-01-2021, 09:31 PM
Good assist for the equaliser.

Bostonhibby
11-01-2021, 09:45 PM
Good assist for the equaliser.Wouldn't mind if st Johnstone were somehow able to borrow him for the semi, or if all our future opponents had someone filling the Duffy Role.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
11-01-2021, 09:46 PM
we requested he played

dp00
11-01-2021, 10:08 PM
Surely if he travelled home on a normal flight he is subject to the same rules of isolation as normal joe bloggs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibbysam
11-01-2021, 10:10 PM

He was travelling as an elite sport person so was exempt from isolating. He had a negative test before the match and so he could play.

It is not correct to say he left a bubble or that he can’t travel on his own and still be exempt.

He never travelled as an elite sportsperson though, he travelled outwith that, on a commercial flight, after mingling with Joe Public.

Peevemor
11-01-2021, 10:11 PM
He never travelled as an elite sportsperson though, he travelled outwith that, on a commercial flight, after mingling with Joe Public.As do other elite sportsmen.

Future17
11-01-2021, 10:20 PM

But neither Henry, nor many others within the Celtc group, adhered to those protocols.

In any event, bigger question is why Jullien was on the trip given his injury means he wasn't training.

hibbysam
11-01-2021, 10:21 PM
As do other elite sportsmen.

Do they? Fairly sure Zungu at Rangers self isolated after signing as he came in on a passenger airline from a non exempt country.

Future17
11-01-2021, 10:21 PM
As do other elite sportsmen.

I might be wrong, but I assume the point is he didn't return home to take part in competition as per the guidance. He returned home for personal reasons.

hibee62
12-01-2021, 12:08 AM
Do they? Fairly sure Zungu at Rangers self isolated after signing as he came in on a passenger airline from a non exempt country.

A high profile example, didn’t Cavani have to isolate when he signed for Man U?

Peevemor
12-01-2021, 05:31 AM
I might be wrong, but I assume the point is he didn't return home to take part in competition as per the guidance. He returned home for personal reasons.I don't know the ins and outs of the rules. He went abroad in the first place under the premise of elite sport. It apparently makes no difference that he returned alone and took a commercial flight (as do golfers, etc.).

I was surprised to see him named too, but I think we can assume that Hibs would have objected if there were any grounds.

h18eeynick
12-01-2021, 07:24 AM
But neither Henry, nor many others within the Celtc group, adhered to those protocols.

In any event, bigger question is why Jullien was on the trip given his injury means he wasn't training.

On BBC Sport with Celtic saying it was so he could continue to get the treatment from physios

Iain G
12-01-2021, 12:49 PM
I don't know the ins and outs of the rules. He went abroad in the first place under the premise of elite sport. It apparently makes no difference that he returned alone and took a commercial flight (as do golfers, etc.).

I was surprised to see him named too, but I think we can assume that Hibs would have objected if there were any grounds.

Why is he different to anyone else who was on that flight and is having to stay home for 7 to 10 days? When did he get back?

Andy74
12-01-2021, 12:51 PM
Why is he different to anyone else who was on that flight and is having to stay home for 7 to 10 days? When did he get back?

As has been noted a number of times he was classed as an elite sports person travelling for competition or training purposes and was exempt from having to isolate.

He was also tested.

Peevemor
12-01-2021, 12:51 PM

I've no idea but those seem to be the rules.

I'd imagine it's to do with more frequent testing along with other things.

hibbysam
12-01-2021, 01:02 PM
As has been noted a number of times he was classed as an elite sports person travelling for competition or training purposes and was exempt from having to isolate.

He was also tested.

Not on the way back he wasn’t, as per the numerous other examples of players travelling to Scotland/UK and having to isolate. He left the training camp to mingle with others outwith his own bubble, before returning to Scotland.

He went on a social trip (family reasons) not a sporting one, would be a bit like a golfer going on holiday and not having to quarantine on return because they are an elite sportsperson.

Iain G
12-01-2021, 01:06 PM

He was also tested.

Neither wonder we have huge numbers of outbreaks and cars of covid if those are the rules! He should have been isolating like everyone else on that flight.

Andy74
12-01-2021, 01:14 PM
Not on the way back he wasn’t, as per the numerous other examples of players travelling to Scotland/UK and having to isolate. He left the training camp to mingle with others outwith his own bubble, before returning to Scotland.

He went on a social trip (family reasons) not a sporting one, would be a bit like a golfer going on holiday and not having to quarantine on return because they are an elite sportsperson.

This isn’t how it works.

hibbysam
12-01-2021, 01:32 PM
This isn’t how it works.

I know that’s not how it works, hence why Duffy should’ve been quarantined. It’s quite clear the guidance on Elite Sportspersons travelling to and from events or training. Social stop offs in between aren’t permitted.

Andy74
12-01-2021, 01:36 PM
I know that’s not how it works, hence why Duffy should’ve been quarantined. It’s quite clear the guidance on Elite Sportspersons travelling to and from events or training. Social stop offs in between aren’t permitted.

There’s about 10 pages of guidance on it.

He was away on a training trip and then travelled home. That’s it. He was exempt from isolating when he came home.

Future17
12-01-2021, 02:20 PM
There’s about 10 pages of guidance on it.

He was away on a training trip and then travelled home. That’s it. He was exempt from isolating when he came home.

I think this comes down to an interpretation of what Kennedy meant by Duffy having left the club's "bubble".

What do you understand he meant by that?

Andy74
12-01-2021, 02:22 PM
I think this comes down to an interpretation of what Kennedy meant by Duffy having left the club's "bubble".

What do you understand he meant by that?

That he didn’t understand what he was talking about. Footballers aren’t in bubbles.

The fact he left training doesn’t matter. He had finished his overseas training and went home.

hibbyfraelibby
12-01-2021, 02:25 PM

Why would they? He's a liability and better being played against us than not😉

bingo70
12-01-2021, 02:26 PM
That he didn’t understand what he was talking about. Footballers aren’t in bubbles.

The fact he left training doesn’t matter. He had finished his overseas training and went home.

As a wee side note, I’m really pleased we missed out on him as manager (if it’s true he was first choice).

That’s twice in the last week he’s made a complete arse of himself and been caught out in the media.

Stevie Reid
12-01-2021, 02:28 PM
As a wee side note, I’m really pleased we missed out on him as manager (if it’s true he was first choice).

That’s twice in the last week he’s made a complete arse of himself and been caught out in the media.

Yeah was the first time I had heard him speak and didn't come across well at all.

Future17
12-01-2021, 05:42 PM

What are you basing your understanding of Kennedy's comments on? You seem very certain.

Whilst they might not be referred to as such, footballers are essentially in "bubbles" in terms of who they can have contact with. My interpretation of Kennedy's comments was that Duffy was going to have contact with someone else. That's the only thing that makes sense.

Andy74
12-01-2021, 07:21 PM
What are you basing your understanding of Kennedy's comments on? You seem very certain.

Whilst they might not be referred to as such, footballers are essentially in "bubbles" in terms of who they can have contact with. My interpretation of Kennedy's comments was that Duffy was going to have contact with someone else. That's the only thing that makes sense.

I’m basing it on him being wrong and me being right.😀

And no, footballers do not have ‘bubbles’ or any other interpretation of being kept away from other people.

hibbysam
12-01-2021, 08:03 PM
I’m basing it on him being wrong and me being right.😀

And no, footballers do not have ‘bubbles’ or any other interpretation of being kept away from other people.

You might want to make the SG and the SFA aware of that. There is clear guidance for the players when it comes to staying clear of the public.

Andy74
12-01-2021, 08:13 PM
You might want to make the SG and the SFA aware of that. There is clear guidance for the players when it comes to staying clear of the public.

You should probably look it up.

When Hibs players finish training of a day what do you think happens?

Are they all living together and interacting with no one or are they seeing their families, going to Sainsbury’s or whatever?

Once outside the club they are under the same rules as everyone else.

The exemption is for travelling abroad for training and competition which allows them not to isolate when they return, regardless of their transport method.

In Duffy’s case, he travelled home from a training trip, he did not have to isolate as he was exempt and then he passed a test. He would also have had to have been cleared by the tracers in relation to the positive test they had.

hibbysam
12-01-2021, 08:31 PM

Are they all living together and interacting with no one or are they seeing their families, going to Sainsbury’s or whatever?

The exemption is for travelling abroad for training and competition which allows them not to isolate when they return, regardless of their transport method.

In Duffy’s case, he travelled home from a training trip, he did not have to isolate as he was exempt and then he passed a test. He would also have had to have been cleared by the tracers in relation to the positive test they had.

I don’t need to look it up. The Scottish government and the SFA make it clear that there is a ‘bubble’ for the elite sportspersons, they’ve mentioned it many a time, most notably when it came to the Aberdeen 8. The players all have far more stringent measures in place than what we have, the clubs allude to this all the time. That results in them spending as little time as possible with the public.

Teams also have to fly away from any public, not take public transport, ensure they are in a hotel with no contact with the public, eating areas with no public, yet spending 8 hours on a plane is somehow ok? The same public that have to quarantine on arrival (testing doesn’t matter otherwise they’d be doing testing in airports to keep the country moving), elite sportspersons are exempt due to the protocols in place, once they are breached or broken (ie mingling with public in a hotel or flying home in a plane full of random members of the public) then the exemptions shouldn’t stand. In this case any testing won’t be reliable for the sake of the trip for at least a week.

Danderhall Hibs
12-01-2021, 08:51 PM

Andy I found myself agreeing with you on all this then I thought about Bolingoli - he flew to and from Spain and didn’t quarantine on his return and it resulted in uproar and him being punted. What’s the difference?

Andy74
12-01-2021, 08:55 PM
I don’t need to look it up. The Scottish government and the SFA make it clear that there is a ‘bubble’ for the elite sportspersons, they’ve mentioned it many a time, most notably when it came to the Aberdeen 8. The players all have far more stringent measures in place than what we have, the clubs allude to this all the time. That results in them spending as little time as possible with the public.

Teams also have to fly away from any public, not take public transport, ensure they are in a hotel with no contact with the public, eating areas with no public, yet spending 8 hours on a plane is somehow ok? The same public that have to quarantine on arrival (testing doesn’t matter otherwise they’d be doing testing in airports to keep the country moving), elite sportspersons are exempt due to the protocols in place, once they are breached or broken (ie mingling with public in a hotel or flying home in a plane full of random members of the public) then the exemptions shouldn’t stand. In this case any testing won’t be reliable for the sake of the trip for at least a week.

Sorry, but you’re wrong on that.

Andy74
12-01-2021, 08:56 PM
Andy I found myself agreeing with you on all this then I thought about Bolingoli - he flew to and from Spain and didn’t quarantine on his return and it resulted in uproar and him being punted. What’s the difference?

He went on a holiday basically, didn’t tell the club and didn’t isolate as I recall.

He wasn’t there for training or competition!

hibbysam
12-01-2021, 08:58 PM
He went on a holiday basically, didn’t tell the club and didn’t isolate as I recall.

Yet is an elite sportsperson getting tested regularly.

superfurryhibby
12-01-2021, 09:02 PM

The circumstances aren’t really comparable.

hibbysam
12-01-2021, 09:05 PM
The circumstances aren’t really comparable.

They’re not, however he’s not at any more risk going to Spain than Duffy was flying back from Dubai.. All he had to do was turn around and said he fancied a few days warm weather training and he’d be fine.

Is It On....
12-01-2021, 09:10 PM
Good assist for the equaliser.

Glad he played..cracking player 😂

angus hibby
12-01-2021, 09:11 PM
After Kennedy’s comments, Hibs should at the very least be asking the authorities for an explanation as to why Duffy was able to play.

Is It On....
12-01-2021, 09:12 PM

Maybe his parent club will recall him..at least thats what Celtic must be hoping

Danderhall Hibs
12-01-2021, 09:12 PM

👍🏼 I thought it would be that.

He should’ve done a 5k and he’d have been ok.

Andy74
12-01-2021, 09:25 PM

It is the purpose of the trip that matters.

Andy74
12-01-2021, 09:26 PM
After Kennedy’s comments, Hibs should at the very least be asking the authorities for an explanation as to why Duffy was able to play.

I think Hibs will understand this. Kennedy has just mis spoken.

hibbysam
12-01-2021, 09:30 PM
It is the purpose of the trip that matters.

My slightly tongue in cheek point is that there is no more risk with Bolingoli travelling back to and from Spain than Duffy from Dubai. It can’t be proven safe to go on a public flight to or from a known hotspot is my issue, therefore no amount of negative tests can prove that Duffy was safe (positive tests on from anyone on the plane won’t come for at least a few days).