PDA

View Full Version : Well Done Jack Ross

Since452
11-01-2021, 08:58 PM
Led his players to a fully deserved point away from home against players costing millions in horrible circumstances. Players heads must have been all over the place today. Credit where credit is due. We shouldn't have been put in this position. But we were, and a late equiliser will do the confidence the world of good. Well played.

sleeping giant
11-01-2021, 08:59 PM
We played well.

nickwhibs
11-01-2021, 09:00 PM
Led his players to a fully deserved point away from home against players costing millions in horrible circumstances. Players heads must have been all over the place today. Credit where credit is due. We shouldn't have been put in this position. But we were, and a late equiliser will do the confidence the world of good. Well played.

Agreed

Callum_62
11-01-2021, 09:00 PM
Add this into another big game he can't win

[emoji102][emoji9]

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
11-01-2021, 09:01 PM
This. We've got a small squad and have been battered by injuries most of the season, but we're in a good position and a result like this one will help us achieve our goals.

Having Magennis, Cadden, Irvine, Boyle and Allan would make a big difference.

Unseen work
11-01-2021, 09:02 PM
Completely agree and I for one am getting tired of the constant stick Ross seems to be getting for absolutley everything.

Well done Jack and continue to do what you’re doing.

He knows we need more strength and depth and is addressing this. Getting guys like Cadden and Irvine will improve us significantly.

Ozyhibby
11-01-2021, 09:04 PM
This. We've got a small squad and have been battered by injuries most of the season, but we're in a good position and a result like this one will help us achieve our goals.

Having Magennis, Cadden, Irvine, Boyle and Allan would make a big difference.

We need the midfield sorted and having those players would certainly help. I think JR is a good manager and we’ll do well under him. Just needs that centre mid sorted.
Be good if Magennis shows up sometime soon as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammy7nil
11-01-2021, 09:23 PM
We need the midfield sorted and having those players would certainly help. I think JR is a good manager and we’ll do well under him. Just needs that centre mid sorted.
Be good if Magennis shows up sometime soon as well.

It would be good if Wright turned up too. 😁

Hiber-nation
11-01-2021, 09:24 PM
We're dull as dishwater under Jack Ross and need far more drive and energy. Hopefully that will arrive shortly and the exit door for Drey Wright should also be a priority.

Coco Bryce
11-01-2021, 09:28 PM

Hiya Jack 🖐️

Ozyhibby
11-01-2021, 09:28 PM
It would be good if Wright turned up too. [emoji16]

Best for all concerned if he can be moved on. Strange signing all round.

Irish_Steve
11-01-2021, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I hate having a manager who guided us away from relegation and comfortably into 4th place

Nicho87
11-01-2021, 09:32 PM
We looked our most exciting going forward at 1-0 down the breakaway at 1-1 players clearly thought hang on we could win this. But more attacking and wild get some fans back on side.

16 shots tonight is a good start

NC1875
11-01-2021, 09:45 PM
Thought we played ok but McGinn coming on when it’s 0-0 sims Jack Ross up for me.

Wants to see out a 0-0 rather than go for a win.

calumhibee1
11-01-2021, 09:50 PM
Add this into another big game he can't win

[emoji102][emoji9]

I know you’re kidding, but the fact is that it is another big game he’s not won.

Celtic were there for the taking tonight imo. We weren’t great and probably deserved a draw. A pretty decent performance would have seen us win that imo but it was a missed opportunity tonight.

A decent result considering we went 1-0 down so late on but having watched us compete without playing well it feels like a bit of a disappointing result. Stevenson suggested as much in his interview as well.

Stuart93
11-01-2021, 09:54 PM
Whilst a point isn’t too bad under the circumstances I wouldn’t be rushing to praise the manager after it. It was a big opportunity missed which was alluded to by Lewis

Carheenlea
11-01-2021, 10:04 PM
After three defeats, stopping the rot with a credible draw at Celtic will be welcomed. Needs to get some wins again to start building up the points tally but feel quite confident we can do so. Lots of room for improvement but still have plenty time to turn this into a very good season.

Since452
11-01-2021, 10:04 PM
Whilst a point isn’t too bad under the circumstances I wouldn’t be rushing to praise the manager after it. It was a big opportunity missed which was alluded to by Lewis

I'm not sure we can call it an opportunity missed. They were still able to field an 18 million pound player in their lineup. Bit of perspective needed.

Northernhibee
11-01-2021, 10:05 PM
Considering how impossible that must have been to prepare for it’s not a bad result and he acted with dignity.

B.H.F.C
11-01-2021, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure we can call it an opportunity missed. They were still able to field an 18 million pound player in their lineup. Bit of perspective needed.

It was a missed chance. We will never play as weak a Celtic team at Parkhead again. They offered next to nothing going forward.

We should have won that game tonight.

Callum_62
11-01-2021, 10:15 PM
I know you’re kidding, but the fact is that it is another big game he’s not won.

Celtic were there for the taking tonight imo. We weren’t great and probably deserved a draw. A pretty decent performance would have seen us win that imo but it was a missed opportunity tonight.

A decent result considering we went 1-0 down so late on but having watched us compete without playing well it feels like a bit of a disappointing result. Stevenson suggested as much in his interview as well.I wonder what value this weakened celtic are are worth?

Folk were initially getting carried away with who they had missing - ut was still a very strong team

We were missing Rocky, Maggennis, Allan and Boyle

We were still a far weaker side than them

We resstricted the to not alot while posing somewhat of a threat

Slight disappointment we didn't win but can't complain too much

Jones28
11-01-2021, 10:16 PM
It was a missed chance. We will never play as weak a Celtic team at Parkhead again. They offered next to nothing going forward.

We should have won that game tonight.

Well then it makes very little difference then, we haven’t won there in 10 years.

The still had a starting midfield of Rogic, Turnbull and McGregor. They had Frimpong and Laxalt as their full backs, Mickey Johnston up front who is a tricky player and supplemented by young guys who are knocking on the door of their first team.

Jack Ross was in a really tricky position tonight; players low on confidence after 3 defeats in a row, playing against a Celtic side who, despite their missing players could still call on quality and a team of players who are down to the bare bones too. I’m saying well done and no more, to Ross, the players and the club for dealing with this whole situation with decorum and dignity and getting a point at parkhead despite losing a goal in the last 10 minutes.

B.H.F.C
11-01-2021, 10:24 PM
Well then it makes very little difference then, we haven’t won there in 10 years.

The still had a starting midfield of Rogic, Turnbull and McGregor. They had Frimpong and Laxalt as their full backs, Mickey Johnston up front who is a tricky player and supplemented by young guys who are knocking on the door of their first team.

Jack Ross was in a really tricky position tonight; players low on confidence after 3 defeats in a row, playing against a Celtic side who, despite their missing players could still call on quality and a team of players who are down to the bare bones too. I’m saying well done and no more, to Ross, the players and the club for dealing with this whole situation with decorum and dignity and getting a point at parkhead despite losing a goal in the last 10 minutes.

The way it panned out it wasn’t a bad point, losing a goal late but managing to show a wee bit fight to get back in to the game. When we lose the first goal we generally lose so I think that’s encouraging. Plus, a late goal always gives players a bit of a lift.

Still think we missed a hell of a chance tonight. We’ve not won there since 2010 but we’ve not faced as weak a team there in a hell of a lot longer than that. Even the way the game went, we didn’t really have to defend much. I think we could have shown a bit more belief and went for them more. We only really did that in the first ten and last five minutes.

chrisski33
11-01-2021, 10:28 PM
Lets build on the draw and win next game. We didnt exacy do well after drawing with Rangers.

Franck Stanton
11-01-2021, 10:48 PM
Folk saying we played a very weakened Celtic team tonight are wrong. There were 8 players playing tonight that faced hearts in the s/c final just a few weeks back. Okay, it wasn't their strongest 11, but then again, neither was ours.

FilipinoHibs
12-01-2021, 01:41 AM
Well done Jack and the team.

makaveli1875
12-01-2021, 04:50 AM
Usually stick up for Ross when he's getting slated but that was gash . You can quote the cost of the Celtic team in millions but it doesn't change the fact that it was there reserves and Ross **** the bed .. again . They were there for the taking if Ross had some balls to go for the jugular

MWHIBBIES
12-01-2021, 05:17 AM
Usually stick up for Ross when he's getting slated but that was gash . You can quote the cost of the Celtic team in millions but it doesn't change the fact that it was there reserves and Ross **** the bed .. again . They were there for the taking if Ross had some balls to go for the jugular

That's not a fact though. There is no way to dress that so that it's a fact. Plenty of first picks played.

Going for the jugular guarantees nothing. We actually done well, limiting them to a real screamer to score. Fantasy to think "going for the jugular", whatever that means, ensures us winning anything.

Since452
12-01-2021, 05:25 AM
If we'd gone for the jugular and thrown on yet another attacking player like Gullan we'd have lost. By the end of the game we had Doidge, Nisbet, Mallan, and Murphy on. That's not exactly defensive away to Celtic, not a tackle between them. Who would have sat? A knackered Gogic by himself? Putting McGinn on made absolute sense. Mental how Ross is getting such a pasting for it. That was still a very dangerous side we were playing.

16 shots and 10 corners at Celtic park must be some sort of record for us. That doesn't get you points though. Seeing the game out does. We got our rare deserved point at that place and personally I'm delighted with it.

Yorkshire HFC
12-01-2021, 05:38 AM
Considering how impossible that must have been to prepare for it’s not a bad result and he acted with dignity.

I'd guess that there was more internet, radio and tv discussion on the subject than there would have been between the players.

I think, as in most areas of life, the people actually doing the job just get on and do it.

A draw at Celtic is always a good point.

Peevemor
If we'd gone for the jugular and thrown on yet another attacking player like Gullan we'd have lost. By the end of the game we had Doidge, Nisbet, Mallan, and Murphy on. That's not exactly defensive away to Celtic. Who would have sat? A knackered Gogic? Putting McGinn on made absolute sense. That was still a very dangerous side we were playing. Mental how Ross is getting such a pasting for it.

As well as people who keep saying that they can't understand why we signed S McGinn.

Since90+2

It was not their reserves.

Laxalt, Frimpong, Duffy, Turnbull,Soro, McGregor, Rogic and Johnston are all first team players.

Since452
12-01-2021, 05:42 AM

Laxalt, Frimpong, Duffy, Turnbull,Soro, McGregor, Rogic and Johnston are all first team players.

And Hazard just won the Scottish Cup.

calumhibee1
12-01-2021, 05:45 AM

I think a lot of the argument about it being ‘reserves’ seems to stem from the fact that the reserves was usually made up of first team players returning from injury, the guys that came off the bench in the first team game, the guys that didn’t make it off the bench and the better u20 players. In that regard, there was probably about 9 players out of the 14 last night that played for Celtic that in normal circumstances you wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see playing for the ‘reserves’ so I don’t think it’s a mile off to say the majority of the team was reserves.

The reserves aren’t simply 11 guys who have no chance of first team football.

Since452
12-01-2021, 05:48 AM
If our first team was as strong as Celtic "reserves" were last night I'd be wanting Ross sacked for not finishing second.

makaveli1875
12-01-2021, 06:20 AM

Whatever you want to call it . None of their main men were playing . It's the weakest team theyve put out in a long time

Heisenberg
12-01-2021, 06:29 AM
Whatever you want to call it . None of their main men were playing . It's the weakest team theyve put out in a long time

Nearly all of the players listed in the post you’ve quoted could be described as their “main men” this season while Johnston was a key player for them before he got his injury. Their starting lineup was four players short of being full strength, a bit like the side we put out eh?

Since90+2
12-01-2021, 06:37 AM

Turnbull, Soro and McGregor was literally their first choice midfield when they played at Ibrox 2 weeks ago.

The keeper was the guy given the nod in the cup final against Hearts when all 3 keepers were fit.

Frimpong and Laxalt are their first choice full backs.

Mikey Johnston is one of their most creative players but has been out for months with injury.

The majority of that team last night were first picks.

Brightside
12-01-2021, 06:44 AM

As most people pointed out when the teams were announced there was very little wrong with their team. The had very little upfront but the vast majority would walk into our team. Their midfield was country mile more talented than ours.

Since452
12-01-2021, 07:14 AM
Had a look at Celtics Twitter feed whe they announced the team and their fans were very happy with their lineup.

Fergus52
12-01-2021, 07:24 AM
Folk saying that we didn't go for it and played too negative and defensive, despite the fact we managed 16 shots?

Pretty sure last night will have been the first time we've managed that at parkhead in a long time.

bigwheel
12-01-2021, 07:27 AM
Folk saying that we didn't go for it and played too negative and defensive, despite the fact we managed 16 shots?

Pretty sure last night will have been the first time we've managed that at parkhead in a long time.

Fair points - and we competed well. Yet Even Lewis was inferring disappointment at a missed opportunity last night after the game . Think the players had a sense of “we should have done a bit more”.

B.H.F.C
12-01-2021, 07:30 AM

Probably more a lack of quality than not trying to attack. I thought our best football was in the first ten minutes when we actually got players in to decent areas. For the majority of the remainder, there was shots on goal but it was generally efforts from distance that didn’t threaten.

We’re really struggling for goals throughout that team.

Mr. Wonderful
12-01-2021, 07:48 AM
I think a lot of the argument about it being ‘reserves’ seems to stem from the fact that the reserves was usually made up of first team players returning from injury, the guys that came off the bench in the first team game, the guys that didn’t make it off the bench and the better u20 players. In that regard, there was probably about 9 players out of the 14 last night that played for Celtic that in normal circumstances you wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see playing for the ‘reserves’ so I don’t think it’s a mile off to say the majority of the team was reserves.

The reserves aren’t simply 11 guys who have no chance of first team football.

Then you have to ask yourself one question. Which of the celtic players wouldn't you have had playing for us last night?

calumhibee1
12-01-2021, 07:56 AM
Then you have to ask yourself one question. Which of the celtic players wouldn't you have had playing for us last night?

That doesn’t have a lot of relevance to whether it’s Celtics reserves or not.

However, to answer the question, I wouldn’t have Hazard, Duffy, Welsh or Harper starting for us last night. I also wouldn’t have taken any of the subs for our starting 11.

I also wouldn’t have had Johnston over Murphy on the left but I presume he could play on the right where I would have taken him.

confused
12-01-2021, 07:58 AM
Yeah, I hate having a manager who guided us away from relegation and comfortably into 4th place
100%. Agree

Alex Trager
12-01-2021, 08:16 AM

I think you and others are comparing last nights celtic side against other celtic sides.

You need to be comparing it to the hibs side last night, which was not at full strength and even if it had been would still be weaker than the celtic side that was put out last night.

The comparison should be drawn between hibs and celtic.

It was a weakened side for them but still a strong side.

I think a point is a good result away to celtic park.

That’s Jack Ross got 3 draws from the old firm this season btw. I don’t think any other team have taken as many points as we have against them.

Some perspective is needed re Ross and the ‘big games’. We were flirting with relegation last season and we’re now very much in the race for third having taken - I think- the most points off the OF this season.

Since JR came in last season only the OF have a better points total.

The Aberdeen games have been poor especially up there this season, we must improve there.

I’d like to see us take the full three points against the OF but as I said, he has come in from a place of near relegation just over a year ago so it’s a working progress.

We have the sheep soon, I do want to see us get the three points there but I think his record in the ‘big games’ is maybe a but better -with context- than folk are giving him credit for.

Northernhibee
12-01-2021, 08:34 AM
I'd guess that there was more internet, radio and tv discussion on the subject than there would have been between the players.

I think, as in most areas of life, the people actually doing the job just get on and do it.

A draw at Celtic is always a good point.

The thing is we had no idea what team we were going to play, whether it would be a youth team, what shape they could play and what style they could play. The reason we watch other teams in advance is so we can establish patterns of play, key personnel and we set up accordingly.

Last night the 13 players out thing was used in a way detrimental to our setup and as it turned out, we faced a pretty strong Celtic team.

B.H.F.C
12-01-2021, 09:34 AM
The thing is we had no idea what team we were going to play, whether it would be a youth team, what shape they could play and what style they could play. The reason we watch other teams in advance is so we can establish patterns of play, key personnel and we set up accordingly.

Last night the 13 players out thing was used in a way detrimental to our setup and as it turned out, we faced a pretty strong Celtic team.

If you just base it on he way the game actually went, we should have went and won it.

We’re really toiling in the final third at the moment, there aren’t enough goals in that team. We got in to so many good areas but were so wasteful. Couple that with having little to do defensively (I think they said Celtic had 7 touches in our box after the game) and I think it was two points dropped (albeit the late equaliser after losing a late goal was a positive).

makaveli1875
12-01-2021, 10:02 AM
I think you and others are comparing last nights celtic side against other celtic sides.

You need to be comparing it to the hibs side last night, which was not at full strength and even if it had been would still be weaker than the celtic side that was put out last night.

The comparison should be drawn between hibs and celtic.

It was a weakened side for them but still a strong side.

I think a point is a good result away to celtic park.

That’s Jack Ross got 3 draws from the old firm this season btw. I don’t think any other team have taken as many points as we have against them.

Some perspective is needed re Ross and the ‘big games’. We were flirting with relegation last season and we’re now very much in the race for third having taken - I think- the most points off the OF this season.

Since JR came in last season only the OF have a better points total.

The Aberdeen games have been poor especially up there this season, we must improve there.

I’d like to see us take the full three points against the OF but as I said, he has come in from a place of near relegation just over a year ago so it’s a working progress.

We have the sheep soon, I do want to see us get the three points there but I think his record in the ‘big games’ is maybe a but better -with context- than folk are giving him credit for.

For me last night was worse than the hearts , Livi and county games .
Hearts always put in extra effort against us even when they're ***** they still manage to make life difficult.livi are on form just now and county are a bit of a bogey team
Celtic were a wounded animal there for the taking ,instead of rounding on them and going for the kill we stood back and poked them with sticks . Never get a better chance to win there and Ross **** the bed .
I don't want him sacked but at least we know what he's all about now .

matty_f
12-01-2021, 10:09 AM
Hearts always put in extra effort against us even when they're ***** they still manage to make life difficult.livi are on form just now and county are a bit of a bogey team
Celtic were a wounded animal there for the taking ,instead of rounding on them and going for the kill we stood back and poked them with sticks . Never get a better chance to win there and Ross **** the bed .

I thought the Celtic players raised their game because of the adversity of the situation, so were far from the wounded animal.

Andy74
12-01-2021, 10:11 AM

Drivel.

Jones28
12-01-2021, 10:42 AM

I've read some pish on here but wow, you win :aok:

JimBHibees
12-01-2021, 11:00 AM
Completely agree and I for one am getting tired of the constant stick Ross seems to be getting for absolutley everything.

Well done Jack and continue to do what you’re doing.

He knows we need more strength and depth and is addressing this. Getting guys like Cadden and Irvine will improve us significantly.

Agree genuinely struggle to understand the criticism in the main. There have been poor performances however to me he is slowly but surely improving the team and think we will continue to get better.

JimBHibees
12-01-2021, 11:03 AM

Which might have happened if Lewis didn't give the ball away so often and got a couple of decent crosses in. :greengrin

JimBHibees
12-01-2021, 11:09 AM

Last night was worse than Ross county and Livi absolute nonsense. Decent hard earned point.

Since452
12-01-2021, 11:19 AM
Lets see how Livingston get on against them on Saturday. Celtic are there for the taking apparently and Livi are flying so should be a resounding Livingston win...

flash
12-01-2021, 11:21 AM
Well it's an opinion.

lord bunberry
12-01-2021, 11:23 AM
****in hell

matty_f
12-01-2021, 11:29 AM
I don't know how we've got to a position where coming from behind to draw at Celtic is considered worse than losing at home to Livi and Ross County, but here we are.

Stuart93
12-01-2021, 11:30 AM

I’m negative and even I know that’s a load of absolute nonsense

Since452
12-01-2021, 11:30 AM
Celtics left back cost AC Milan 18 million quid. Our left back probably still gets pocket money from his mum and dad. The "there for the taking" patter is nonsense.

bingo70
12-01-2021, 11:38 AM
I think with regards to playing their reserves, although it was a very strong team in places, they played without a striker and their first choice centre half’s.

It absolutely 100% wasn’t a Celtic reserve side but we won’t get many better chances to win there. I think they were vulnerable last night and when we eventually committed men forward to put their centre halves under pressure we scored. We could have done that earlier I think.

I think we played for a draw and we got it so job done in that regard.

Listening to Ross’s interview after the game it made a lot of sense, after the last few results we needed to ‘stop the bleeding’ (I think that was the phrase he used anyway.)

A draw at Parkhead is never a bad result so it’s not one I’m going to get too excited about us not winning, need to win at the weekend now though.

Andy74
12-01-2021, 11:43 AM
I think with regards to playing their reserves, although it was a very strong team in places, they played without a striker and their first choice centre half’s.

It absolutely 100% wasn’t a Celtic reserve side but we won’t get many better chances to win there. I think they were vulnerable last night and when we eventually committed men forward to put their centre halves under pressure we scored. We could have done that earlier I think.

I think we played for a draw and we got it so job done in that regard.

Listening to Ross’s interview after the game it made a lot of sense, after the last few results we needed to ‘stop the bleeding’ (I think that was the phrase he used anyway.)

A draw at Parkhead is never a bad result so it’s not one I’m going to get too excited about us not winning, need to win at the weekend now though.

We had a significant amount of shots and corners in the first 15 minutes so don’t think we went there to play defensively.

Celtic hardly got our their half for the first 20 mins or so.

Tyler Durden
12-01-2021, 11:48 AM
People need to get a grip. Yes it was a better chance to win than normal at Parkhead.

The bookies - neutral objective observers - saw the teams and made it a 3/1 chance of Hibs winning rather than the usual 8/1. That is the reality. Celtic were not “there for the taking”.

Personally I think Hibs have played very well in the 2 trips to Glasgow this month and we’ve been pretty unlucky to come away with only a point to show for it.

HibeeHibernian4
12-01-2021, 11:49 AM

You need to log off and take a breather if you think that's true.

bingo70
12-01-2021, 01:12 PM
We had a significant amount of shots and corners in the first 15 minutes so don’t think we went there to play defensively.

Celtic hardly got our their half for the first 20 mins or so.

Yeah, I think we packed our midfield well which helped us dominate.

I don’t think we committed many players forward in open play though?

Allez Hibs
12-01-2021, 01:14 PM

😂 😂 😂

Since452
16-01-2021, 03:49 PM
Whole club delivered this week. The board, Jack Ross and the players. Well done. Back to 3rd.

Allez Hibs
16-01-2021, 04:08 PM
Well done Hibs :flag:

calumhibee1
16-01-2021, 04:09 PM
Good result today :agree:

worcesterhibby
16-01-2021, 04:22 PM
I'm backing Jack Ross, two new international players in..3 points on the board. 3rd place in the table. Progress.

Andy74
16-01-2021, 04:28 PM
Can anyone tell me if today was a 'big game' under the circumstances or not?

green day
16-01-2021, 04:30 PM

Was being set up as a "must win" by some posters ahead of today.

Can almost smell their disappointment.

hibbysam
16-01-2021, 04:33 PM

Nah it’s not Rangers Celtic or Aberdeen 😂 today was a huge game for the rest of our season, gives us the buffer to Livi, momentum into next weeks cup tie, squad getting bigger by the day.

worcesterhibby
16-01-2021, 04:36 PM

I would have been if we'd lost, but because we've won it doesn't count. That's the way it seems to work.

green day
16-01-2021, 04:40 PM
I would have been if we'd lost, but because we've won it doesn't count. That's the way it seems to work.

The narrative changes when we win to "how ***** are our strikers?" and "why did we get rid of Ollie Shaw?" when the same people were probably screaming for him to be binned when he played for us.

Some right bampots support Hibs......................

Smartie
16-01-2021, 04:40 PM
I thought he did well today and he looked to have learned from what went wrong in recent games.

We set up to battle and hope that our wee bit extra quality where it mattered would pay off - and it did.

We were much more robust today than in recent weeks, which was much better to see.

Not all that easy on the eye though. And we’re going to have to try to play on that state of a pitch for the rest of the season, which is hardly going to make for pretty football.

It was a big game. It was a big result. And he got a few big performances today too.

Borderhibbie76
16-01-2021, 05:31 PM
Was being set up as a "must win" by some posters ahead of today.

Can almost smell their disappointment.

Sure can mate

Since452
16-01-2021, 05:37 PM

Aye.. but but the style of play was crap...

Wakeyhibee
16-01-2021, 05:38 PM

In the grand scheme of things.. no. But considering our home form of late, a very important win for confidence. Given Aberdeens result it gets us closer to 3rd on equal terms (they still have to win their in hand games I know).

I still think 4th isn't safe yet, but then again 3rd is not out of the realms either.

Ozyhibby
16-01-2021, 06:02 PM
Jack Ross has done a cracking job. I’m not worried one little bit about our style of play so long as we are winning.
My only complaint this season has been our centre midfield hasn’t been dynamic enough especially when we don’t have the ball. Going by the signing of Irvine, Jack Ross agrees that it was a problem and is fixing it. Today our midfield was a lot better.

Dashing Bob S
16-01-2021, 06:08 PM
Decent result today. The fresh faces in the squad seem to have lifted a side which was looking stale and shirking a little on effort. Without Newel and Allan we lacked central creativity but there was more dig about us.

I now feel happier about St Johnstone in the semi, but still feel we’d struggle against Livi (it will be them) in the final.

calumhibee1
16-01-2021, 06:35 PM
Aye.. but but the style of play was crap...

Did you think our style of play was good today out of interest?

Since452
16-01-2021, 06:37 PM
Did you think our style of play was good today out of interest?

Not particularly but couldn't care less

Sioux
16-01-2021, 06:43 PM
Decent result today. The fresh faces in the squad seem to have lifted a side which was looking stale and shirking a little on effort. Without Newel and Allan we lacked central creativity but there was more dig about us.

I now feel happier about St Johnstone in the semi, but still feel we’d struggle against Livi (it will be them) in the final.

Are cup finals supposed to be easy?

Key West
16-01-2021, 06:48 PM
A bit of belief was restored today, it was a much needed victory and should give us a bit of confidence for the semi final, there were plenty of positives in individual performances. Good to see that Irving is not a million miles away from making an impact and with the addition of Cadden and players coming back from injury things are looking better.

Saint Hibee
16-01-2021, 06:49 PM

Isn’t professional football supposed to be a form of entertainment?

cabbageandribs1875
16-01-2021, 06:51 PM

if you want that go to the cinema

:)

Heisenberg
16-01-2021, 06:53 PM

I find it especially entertaining and fun when Hibs win. Might just be me.

Allez Hibs
16-01-2021, 07:27 PM

Not a big game.

Big game next Saturday though 😉

calumhibee1
16-01-2021, 07:27 PM

I find that hard to believe that you don’t care whether we’re good to watch or not.

Regardless, even if watching entertaining football is something you couldn’t care less about, the amount of people mentioning it would suggest it’s something a lot of folk do care about so it’s worthy of discussion.

cabbageandribs1875
16-01-2021, 07:36 PM
it's quite funny that so many have always given it tight with aberdeen teams over the years, winning but not pleasant on the eye

now it's acceptable for us to do the same :greengrin

MrRobot
16-01-2021, 07:39 PM
I find that hard to believe that you don’t care whether we’re good to watch or not.

Regardless, even if watching entertaining football is something you couldn’t care less about, the amount of people mentioning it would suggest it’s something a lot of folk do care about so it’s worthy of discussion.

It’s a strange one cause as long as we win we can’t really complain as it’s results that matter, but it’s these games where we are beaten and show absolutely nothing in them that really piss me off. A defeat where you’ve played well, created chances playing fast flowing football makes it that bit easier to take. Games like against Ross County and then Livi are unacceptable

Since90+2
16-01-2021, 07:40 PM
Jack Ross has done well since taking over at Hibs. You can debate to over what extend he has done well but his record shows he has consistently got results.

Since90+2
16-01-2021, 07:43 PM
Would we rather be boring to watch but win or be great to watch and draw or lose? I'm not really sure of the answer to that myself. I suspect either outcome would bring it's critics.

Very few teams can be great to watch and also consistently get results.

Stevie Reid
16-01-2021, 08:03 PM
Would we rather be boring to watch but win or be great to watch and draw or lose? I'm not really sure of the answer to that myself. I suspect either outcome would bring it's critics.

In terms of recent examples, give me today over Dundee Utd, for sure.

Scrappy wins like that are just as important as any others if high league finishes are to be achieved. I’ve seen enough genuinely good performances to believe that Ross ideally wants us playing, attractive and attacking football.

Not every opposing team in the SPL is very amenable to allowing us to play like that though, so good to have other options and be able to battle when we need to as well.

The Modfather
16-01-2021, 08:11 PM

To be honest the performance, and thus what enjoyment I get from it, is as important as the result for me. Mid to long term I’d probably swap a league place or two for Mowbray like football than say for the success Aberdeen have had but done in their style.

calumhibee1
16-01-2021, 08:14 PM
To be honest the performance, and thus what enjoyment I get from it, is as important as the result for me. Mid to long term I’d probably swap a league place or two for Mowbray like football than say for the success Aberdeen have had but done in their style.

Yup, likewise. Over the course of a season I’d take a place or so lower for good football. Finishing third ever year with dreadful football really wouldn’t be enjoyable at all imo.

basehibby
16-01-2021, 08:57 PM
I find it especially entertaining and fun when Hibs win. Might just be me.

Me too - funny that. Do ye think it'll ever catch on?

vuefrom1875
16-01-2021, 09:01 PM

Scrappy wins like that are just as important as any others if high league finishes are to be achieved. I’ve seen enough genuinely good performances to believe that Ross ideally wants us playing, attractive and attacking football.

Not every opposing team in the SPL is very amenable to allowing us to play like that though, so good to have other options and be able to battle when we need to as well.
Very well said sir 👌

matty_f
16-01-2021, 09:24 PM

Good post. I think we’d all prefer a swashbuckling style and if scraped, drab wins were to become the go to, whilst better than drab draws or defeats, it would be far from ideal.

Today we deserved the win, we weren’t great but we played well in patches (those patches tended to be the patches of grass...) neither the opponents nor the conditions were helpful towards a slick game.

I think with the squad that Ross is putting together, we’re not setting up to be a dull, pragmatic team, nor a strong plodding team like Aberdeen. I very much think that ideally Ross wants us playing entertaining football and i believe that we’ll get there.

In the meantime, winning ugly is a decent substitute.

jacomo
16-01-2021, 09:46 PM
Good post. I think we’d all prefer a swashbuckling style and if scraped, drab wins were to become the go to, whilst better than drab draws or defeats, it would be far from ideal.

Today we deserved the win, we weren’t great but we played well in patches (those patches tended to be the patches of grass...) neither the opponents nor the conditions were helpful towards a slick game.

I think with the squad that Ross is putting together, we’re not setting up to be a dull, pragmatic team, nor a strong plodding team like Aberdeen. I very much think that ideally Ross wants us playing entertaining football and i believe that we’ll get there.

In the meantime, winning ugly is a decent substitute.

We were well set up today and it was just our fluency in the final third that wasn’t there. Bad pitch, debut signings, Murphy just back from injury... there are reasons for that.

I see real potential in this squad. Jack has a definite structure to us but we’ve got good players who can improve together.

Andy74
16-01-2021, 10:00 PM
We were well set up today and it was just our fluency in the final third that wasn’t there. Bad pitch, debut signings, Murphy just back from injury... there are reasons for that.

I see real potential in this squad. Jack has a definite structure to us but we’ve got good players who can improve together.

Yep. This style of play nonsense should be put to bed.

We’ve all seen Hibs teams who have been absolutely dire to watch. It’s about intent for me. Clearly this team are trying to play the right way. Doesn’t always come off but that’s the way it goes.

Criticism of style should be saved for teams who are set up to intentionally play negative or particularly industrial football. That’s not us.

Northernhibee
16-01-2021, 10:03 PM
In his first interview with us Alan Stubbs was asked about his preferred style of play and he responded along the lines of "whatever wins us games".

I get the feeling that Jack Ross understands this statement slightly better than Stubbsy did (and I bloody love Alan Stubbs).

GreenCastle
16-01-2021, 10:11 PM
Killie result was important for a variety of reasons but winning the semi is very important.

It’s a tough winnable game and will give us a great shot at another trophy. Hopefully they have learnt from the last semi and know what to expect at the stadium etc but Saints will go in confident also.

If we lose the semi then it will be a massive blow. Livi are really the form team right now it seems.

The Modfather
16-01-2021, 10:32 PM

We’ve all seen Hibs teams who have been absolutely dire to watch. It’s about intent for me. Clearly this team are trying to play the right way. Doesn’t always come off but that’s the way it goes.

Criticism of style should be saved for teams who are set up to intentionally play negative or particularly industrial football. That’s not us.

I’m not sure I necessarily agree that criticism of style should be reserved for negative or industrious football. I wouldn’t call us particularly negative or industrious but I also don’t think we’re particularly enjoyable to watch a lot of the time. My best description of our style would be functional, difficult to be too critical, but also rarely exciting.

I watched the first half today and was bored so kept an eye on the score and did other things around the house during the second half (it sounds like we were better second half). That’s been a common theme a lot this season, flitting in and out of games. Some of that will be down to no fans and the disconnect that has, but another part is simply that there’s lots of games where for large parts nothing is happening IMO.

Since452
16-01-2021, 10:45 PM
The days of open expansive football are over unless one team has a massive advantage over the other in terms of quality. Seen it down south and happening up here and everywhere else. More like games of chess. Open up in this league and you're asking for relegation.

Bobby's Cinema
16-01-2021, 11:06 PM
Yup, likewise. Over the course of a season I’d take a place or so lower for good football. Finishing third ever year with dreadful football really wouldn’t be enjoyable at all imo.
Absolutely nuts. In my lifetime I don't remember us ever consistently meeting our expectations year on year of european football.
We look to me as well placed as ever to start down that process, we are doing a cracking job of consistenly beating the sides below us as we have been looking to emulate for a long time, with a manager with an excellent win record across this job and those previous, our signing policy is as clear to me as it has ever been in terms of what we are trying to bring in. The manager always puts out a positive side if at times not always reflected in the style of play.

The manager and set-up we have in place are surely well above pass marks for delivering vs our ambitions here.
And they deserve time with the fans backing to continue to improve.

When the final whistle goes at the end of a run off the mill league game such as today and we reflect back, I'll take the three points every time cheers.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 07:42 AM
Absolutely nuts. In my lifetime I don't remember us ever consistently meeting our expectations year on year of european football.
We look to me as well placed as ever to start down that process, we are doing a cracking job of consistenly beating the sides below us as we have been looking to emulate for a long time, with a manager with an excellent win record across this job and those previous, our signing policy is as clear to me as it has ever been in terms of what we are trying to bring in. The manager always puts out a positive side if at times not always reflected in the style of play.

The manager and set-up we have in place are surely well above pass marks for delivering vs our ambitions here.
And they deserve time with the fans backing to continue to improve.

When the final whistle goes at the end of a run off the mill league game such as today and we reflect back, I'll take the three points every time cheers.

It’s not nuts at all.

We won yesterday, but other than that there was nothing much to enjoy about the game. The first half was eye bleeding. That’s been a common theme this season evidenced by the fact this discussion comes up nearly every week.

This season we’ve won what, 3 or 4 home games? If the football is only enjoyable when winning and you’re also not winning the majority of the time (which isn’t a criticism btw, I don’t expect us to) then that’s a problem. You can’t have the fans being bored every week with the only positive being winning sometimes, especially at home.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 07:56 AM

It’s not nonsense at all. The fact so many people comment on it every week and you’ve felt that you need to address it says a lot.

Read the match threads. Most weeks there is masses of fans that are bored by our style of play. That’s almost acceptable if we’re winning, but even then, our wins are often boring as well.

Ross is picking up decent results and that’s of course a good thing. But the method of getting them isn’t great at all and it’s something we’ve slaughtered Aberdeen for in the past.

superfurryhibby
17-01-2021, 07:59 AM
With the players we’ve signed and those returning from injury the style and finesse will return in abundance. At the moment all that matters to me is staying 3rd and winning the semi final.

The pitch, the so called boring play, the home record........none of it really bothering me that much in the greater scheme of things.

It’s a bit of a rollercoaster season so far, but the good far outweighs any moans for me. People just need to enjoy it for what it is.

2/3rds of the way through the league campaign, we’re in a great position. We’re bringing in the kind of players you would hope to see at Hibs. The manager knows what he’s doing.

Here’s hoping Celtic implode, Aberdeen have a poor run and we go on a winning streak of form. You have to dream.

Brightside
17-01-2021, 08:03 AM
There is not much wrong with the style of football for the level we are at. We are open in some games and tight in others. Killie yesterday were a very well setup team that closed us down very quickly. We play much better on the counter but that’s hard if the other team remains compact and doesn’t provide any space to exploit. We were naive against Livi and that’s what got us beat. I’m sure we won’t do that again.

Phil MaGlass
17-01-2021, 08:08 AM
Maybe we should just be thankful that theirs any football on at all at the moment, and that we all have something more than lockdown to complain aboot? :greengrin

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 08:15 AM
It’s not nuts at all.

We won yesterday, but other than that there was nothing much to enjoy about the game. The first half was eye bleeding. That’s been a common theme this season evidenced by the fact this discussion comes up nearly every week.

This season we’ve won what, 3 or 4 home games? If the football is only enjoyable when winning and you’re also not winning the majority of the time (which isn’t a criticism btw, I don’t expect us to) then that’s a problem. You can’t have the fans being bored every week with the only positive being winning sometimes, especially at home.

We’ve hardly been eye bleeding all season. In the main our home games have been either really exciting, or fairly *****, inconsistent to be more precise. Rangers, Celtic, Dundee United, Hamilton, Killie first time round, even St Johnstone where we weren’t at our best but it was still ‘exciting’ to an extent.

When the conditions were like that yesterday, and you’ve not won in 4 games, and with players just coming back from injury, the points were the most important thing. We aren’t set up negatively, and the players we have are mostly attacking exciting players, it just sometimes doesn’t happen and that’s also due to the fact there are two teams on the park.

allmodcons
17-01-2021, 08:23 AM
It’s not nonsense at all. The fact so many people comment on it every week and you’ve felt that you need to address it says a lot.

Read the match threads. Most weeks there is masses of fans that are bored by our style of play. That’s almost acceptable if we’re winning, but even then, our wins are often boring as well.

Ross is picking up decent results and that’s of course a good thing. But the method of getting them isn’t great at all and it’s something we’ve slaughtered Aberdeen for in the past.

"Masses of fans that are bored with our style of play" (i.e. - 15 to 20 posters of Hibs.net)

Did you see the state of the pitch yesterday, do you know how difficult it is for ball carrying players like Boyle and Murphy to play effectively on that surface, especially so on a blustery day?

Yesterday Ross set up his team to do what was needed. We created by far the better chances and (apart from a solitary lapse) our defence looked very solid. First half was horrible to watch but we won on merit with a decent second half performance.

Would be nice to see you take some account of the conditions over the winter months and maybe accept that the opposition is there for a reason.

It never ceases to amaze me how a small vocal minority of posters on these boards continually focus on the negatives.

A 2v0 win against Kilmarnock yesterday, 3rd in the league, in the semi final of the league cup and yet here you are looking for something to be negative about :confused:

superfurryhibby
17-01-2021, 08:42 AM
"Masses of fans that are bored with our style of play" (i.e. - 15 to 20 posters of Hibs.net)

Did you see the state of the pitch yesterday, do you know how difficult it is for ball carrying players like Boyle and Murphy to play effectively on that surface, especially so on a blustery day?

Yesterday Ross set up his team to do what was needed. We created by far the better chances and (apart from a solitary lapse) our defence looked very solid. First half was horrible to watch but we won on merit with a decent second half performance.

Would be nice to see you take some account of the conditions over the winter months and maybe accept that the opposition is there for a reason.

It never ceases to amaze me how a small vocal minority of posters on these boards continually focus on the negatives.

A 2v0 win against Kilmarnock yesterday, 3rd in the league, in the semi final of the league cup and yet here you are looking for something to be negative about :confused:

It’s almost like if you say something often enough and keep repeating it some more it becomes true.

Of course most of Hibs fans know it hasn’t always been pretty, but they also know that the table doesn’t lie. At this stage we’re clear in third place, we’re the third highest goal scorers and we’re in the semi final of a cup, with a realistic chance of winning it.

We’re also hoping for the return of our most creative midfielder and we have a couple of new signings that are very good captures for Hibs. What reasonably minded Hibs fan could fail to give credit to the progress the club is making?

WhileTheChief..
17-01-2021, 08:52 AM

Nope, not even close.

Every week the game is described as huge, big, massive etc when in reality most games we play are run of the mill scraps against bog standard teams.

superfurryhibby
17-01-2021, 09:00 AM
On the big game “debate”. There’s obviously degree of big game. Yesterday v Killie gave us the chance to move into 3rd place and consolidate halting a winless streak, whilst also moving further ahead of a side below us who are having a freakish run of form. For me that constitutes a big game.

Not as big as a cup semi final though, another of which we have to look forward to.

For our more advanced big game definition experts on here, a question. Is a game v Killie, in the circumstances described, a bigger game than the one v Celtic earlier this week? Does a game we expect to win take precedence over one where we ordinarily would have low expectations? The grey areas and nuances of big game or not criteria definitely evade me.

Maybe it’s just easier to view every game as a big game, knowing that some are obviously bigger than others.

flash
17-01-2021, 09:17 AM
I think he is doing a great job. As I have stated before I can't get as steamed up with bad performances or results as I would normally due to the unique circumstances this season.
It's great that we have any football to watch at all and I for one am grateful for the efforts being made to keep it going.
It must be strange for the team and management having to live in a certain way then go out and perform in an environment nothing like the one they are used to.
Despite all this the manager is building an exciting squad which is about to play our second semi in succession as well as sitting 3rd in the league.
I reckon we will go from strength to strength if we let Jack get on with the fine job he is doing.

Bobby's Cinema
17-01-2021, 09:40 AM
It’s not nuts at all.

The problem with that Calum is there is absolutely no context to what you are saying.
When the manager came in we were floundering in the bottom six - as were a certain side that are now playing championship football.

Meanwhile we have rocketed to 3rd place our highest league position we can reasonably expect to finish (where we have done so once since 2000/01),
We have made every semi final for the last few years, as I've said to me our signing policy is as clear and obvious with as much direction as I have ever seen,

But you are bored watching a winning team with for me a clear direction and would trade it for a team that wins less to see some good but ultimately losing football. So the manager is actually doing too well for you. Doesn't seem very sensible given context. I've seen this Hibs team play some great football and score some great goals in places this season.

Not telling anyone how to behave but for me there is is generally more negativity and people jumping on the players back at half time in games than there should be.

Northernhibee
17-01-2021, 09:45 AM
If we can get an adventure into Europe or two as a result of grinding out a few ugly results on winter pitches then I think we’d all forget about the more tricky times.

Since452
17-01-2021, 09:53 AM
The problem with that Calum is there is absolutely no context to what you are saying.
When the manager came in we were floundering in the bottom six - as were a certain side that are now playing championship football.

Meanwhile we have rocketed to 3rd place our highest league position we can reasonably expect to finish (where we have done so once since 2000/01),
We have made every semi final for the last few years, as I've said to me our signing policy is as clear and obvious with as much direction as I have ever seen,

But you are bored watching a winning team with for me a clear direction and would trade it for a team that wins less to see some good but ultimately losing football. So the manager is actually doing too well for you. Do you see what I mean? Doesn't seem very sensible given context. I've seen this Hibs team play some great football and score some great goals in places this season.

Not telling anyone how to behave but for me there is is generally more negativity and people jumping on the players back at half time in games than there should be.

Said it on another thread that the style of play thing has probably held this club back and heaped unnecessary pressure on managers more than at other clubs. Some folk would rather we played like Barcelona once every few games and finished 5th or 6th. I'd take a run of consecutive seasons finishing 3rd or 4th playing industrial football every time (I don't think that's how we play btw). Never happened in my lifetime. Would give the club a platform to grow on and off the park. Everyone loves pretty football but teams are set up too well and are too good tactically now for it to be successful.

JimBHibees

Absolutely spot on some posters determined to be right rather than give any sort of credit. It hasn't all been great this season however as your last sentence indicates the positives hugely outweigh the negatives. You get the impression some will be happy if we lose on Saturday so they can pile in again. Look at the type of players we are signing I think we are buying good footballers predominantly. Progress is clear to see imo.

Keith_M

I think people have the right to point out when we've played poorly, or not in a very entertaining way. I posted something along those lines yesterday at half-time, where I decried how poorly we played... outside of the first 15 minutes or so.

However, I think some posters are becoming quite blinkered when they start describing whole games as being dull or boring, as it means they're making a conscious decision to ignore either the first 10-15 minutes or so of yesterday's game or the improvement we then made in the second half.

In addition, there's a failure to recognise that there are two teams on the park, and that Killie did very well in closing Hibs down for long spells.

They're also closing their minds entirely to games where we've played well and won convincingly.

Or are you actually saying that we had literally no decent passages of play yesterday or that we've never played entertaining football at all this season?

:dunno:

worcesterhibby
17-01-2021, 09:58 AM
With the players we’ve signed and those returning from injury the style and finesse will return in abundance. At the moment all that matters to me is staying 3rd and winning the semi final.

The pitch, the so called boring play, the home record........none of it really bothering me that much in the greater scheme of things.

It’s a bit of a rollercoaster season so far, but the good far outweighs any moans for me. People just need to enjoy it for what it is.

2/3rds of the way through the league campaign, we’re in a great position. We’re bringing in the kind of players you would hope to see at Hibs. The manager knows what he’s doing.

Here’s hoping Celtic implode, Aberdeen have a poor run and we go on a winning streak of form. You have to dream.

good post, completely agree :agree:

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 10:02 AM
I think people have the right to point out when we've played poorly, or not in a very entertaining way. I posted something along those lines yesterday at half-time, where I decried how poorly we played... outside of the first 15 minutes or so.

However, I think some posters are becoming quite blinkered when they start describing whole games as being dull or boring, as it means they're making a conscious decision to ignore either the first 10-15 minutes or so of yesterday's game or the improvement we then made in the second half.

In addition, there's a failure to recognise that there are two teams on the park, and that Killie did very well in closing Hibs down for long spells.

They're also closing their minds entirely to games where we've played well and won convincingly.

Or are you actually saying that we had literally no decent passages of play yesterday or that we've never played entertaining football at all this season?

Or the same posters that would ‘accept a place or two lower for good football’ then complaining when we were outstanding against Dundee United but dropped points thus completely contradicting the points being made today.

Your post sums it up completely. By all means complain about certain passages of play or periods of games, but at least have an overall assessment based on all facts, conditions, teams, situations etc.

JimBHibees
17-01-2021, 10:03 AM

That makes no sense so you would rather lose more games and get less money for the club by being open and attacking but poorer defensively. As it happens we do try and attack and play attacking the vast majority of games including recent away games in Glasgow. We are still developing as a team and personally am happy with the quality of players being brought in.

Since452
17-01-2021, 10:07 AM
Said it on another thread that the style of play thing has probably held this club back and heaped unnecessary pressure on managers more than at other clubs. Some folk would rather we played like Barcelona once every few games and finished 5th or 6th. I'd take a run of consecutive seasons finishing 3rd or 4th playing industrial football every time (I don't think that's how we play btw). Never happened in my lifetime. Would give the club a platform to grow on and off the park. Everyone loves pretty football but teams are set up too well and are too good tactically now for it to be successful.

Actually it has. Finished 4th or better in back to back seasons once in my lifetime under Mowbray and that's the only time since the mid 70's. Utterly chronic. No wonder we can't compete with Aberdeen for players.

B.H.F.C
17-01-2021, 10:08 AM
Absolutely spot on some posters determined to be right rather than give any sort of credit. It hasn't all been great this season however as your last sentence indicates the positives hugely outweigh the negatives. You get the impression some will be happy if we lose on Saturday so they can pile in again. Look at the type of players we are signing I think we are buying good footballers predominantly. Progress is clear to see imo.

I know some folk like a moan (me included sometimes). But I never buy this idea that folk will be happy when we lose. Some folk aren’t happy when we win, christ knows how they feel when we lose!

I think the bit about the players we are signing is where the expectation comes from. I think we have players capable of playing better, certainly in an attacking sense. We will finish fourth at worst which is where we should be as a minimum this season (given the backing Ross has had). If he can keep us in third then a decent job becomes a good job for me. This semi final next week is huge for him now.

The Modfather
17-01-2021, 10:17 AM
That makes no sense so you would rather lose more games and get less money for the club by being open and attacking but poorer defensively. As it happens we do try and attack and play attacking the vast majority of games including recent away games in Glasgow. We are still developing as a team and personally am happy with the quality of players being brought in.

That’s the camp I’m in. Given a binary choice between playing exciting football (think Mowbray team where you never knew what Hibs would turn up week to week but that was part of the fun with some of the crazy comebacks, as well as random thumpings) and finishing 5th or 6th v Fenlon or Mcinnes style football and finishing 3rd or 4th. Over the medium to long term I’d take the former. All I want from Hibs is to enjoy the money, and more importantly, time I’m spending at games. Success, but the actual 90 minutes on a Saturday being a chore isn’t for me, in this binary hypothetical debate.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the above. Others might feel the opposite, that’s fine.

I’ve said before. We’re making progress and Ross is doing a good job overall. However a lot of times this season I’ve been bored for large parts of games and flitted in and out of watching the game. I think most of our performances are difficult to criticise, but also difficult to get too excited by. Functional is how I’d describe us most of the season.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 11:12 AM
That’s the camp I’m in. Given a binary choice between playing exciting football (think Mowbray team where you never knew what Hibs would turn up week to week but that was part of the fun with some of the crazy comebacks, as well as random thumpings) and finishing 5th or 6th v Fenlon or Mcinnes style football and finishing 3rd or 4th. Over the medium to long term I’d take the former. All I want from Hibs is to enjoy the money, and more importantly, time I’m spending at games. Success, but the actual 90 minutes on a Saturday being a chore isn’t for me, in this binary hypothetical debate.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the above. Others might feel the opposite, that’s fine.

I’ve said before. We’re making progress and Ross is doing a good job overall. However a lot of times this season I’ve been bored for large parts of games and flitted in and out of watching the game. I think most of our performances are difficult to criticise, but also difficult to get too excited by. Functional is how I’d describe us most of the season.

Exactly where I am.

I’d rather enjoy the football than watch us get to 3rd or 4th whilst being bored to tears. I’d maybe have a different view point if it was winning the league with boring football, but finishing slightly higher in the league which still doesn’t win you anything and playing crap stuff? Not for me thanks.

That’s not to say the Ross situation is as binary as that as you say, but there’s certainly an element of decent enough results with extremely boring football at times. That’s fine for short periods but I certainly hope it’s not where we’re headed longer term, like Aberdeen for example.

In reply to Jim, I don’t really care about the extra money we could earn finishing higher if it’s going towards a team that isn’t enjoyable to watch. I’d rather finish a place or two lower, get less prize money but watch some very decent football than finish a position or two higher which still doesn’t win you anything, play boring football but be able to say ‘at least we got more money’ at the end of the season.

Playing good football and finishing higher up the league aren’t two things that can’t go together. In fact I’d suggest that doing the first thing usually ends up more often than not with you doing the second thing. Just look at the league winners all around the world most seasons. They’re usually also a team that play a brand of football that is very easy on the eye.

Key West
17-01-2021, 11:52 AM
Interesting the criticisms that are made at half time, in the majority of games these days the first half is about getting a foothold and the second period usually proves to be more entertaining as players tire. There were always people moaning around me about the 1st half even when McGinn and Lennon were here. Players are much fitter now and cancel each other out especially when the energy levels are at a peak.

Silky
17-01-2021, 12:11 PM
Exactly where I am.

I’d rather enjoy the football than watch us get to 3rd or 4th whilst being bored to tears. I’d maybe have a different view point if it was winning the league with boring football, but finishing slightly higher in the league which still doesn’t win you anything and playing crap stuff? Not for me thanks.

That’s not to say the Ross situation is as binary as that as you say, but there’s certainly an element of decent enough results with extremely boring football at times. That’s fine for short periods but I certainly hope it’s not where we’re headed longer term, like Aberdeen for example.

In reply to Jim, I don’t really care about the extra money we could earn finishing higher if it’s going towards a team that isn’t enjoyable to watch. I’d rather finish a place or two lower, get less prize money but watch some very decent football than finish a position or two higher which still doesn’t win you anything, play boring football but be able to say ‘at least we got more money’ at the end of the season.

Playing good football and finishing higher up the league aren’t two things that can’t go together. In fact I’d suggest that doing the first thing usually ends up more often than not with you doing the second thing. Just look at the league winners all around the world most seasons. They’re usually also a team that play a brand of football that is very easy on the eye.

I guess if the product on show is exciting, it will bring in more fans which would possibly make up for any reduced prize money by finishing lower in the league.

It's easy to be bored right now, but at the same time, I like the fact that we are third and still in touch. Would I prefer a more exciting brand of football if meant we finished 5th or 6th? I'm genuinely not sure, because the chances are it means Hearts are consistently above us, which, judging by the reaction after the semi, means the manager who is playing that exciting football may not last too long!!

Gordy M
17-01-2021, 12:12 PM

Exactly where I am.

The thing is, we have done that in the past, played well and ended up losing games, and the reaction on here and at the ground isnt "ah well we played great, didnt mind losing in the end" ive lost count the amount of games we battered teams and ended up losing a late goal to end up losing or drawing, and the reaction isnt a good one.

Sorry Keith M, not sure why your post is included?, was replying to calum

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 12:19 PM
Exactly where I am.

You’re talking like we are boring to watch though which isn’t true at all. We go through spells during games and have the odd game, but we have far more exciting games than dull ones. Plus the fact we’re sitting in our houses and not at the games and building an atmosphere which makes even the duller games much better. Give me my European trips year in year out which I’ll enjoy regardless of performances or results than 5/6/7th place playing nice attacking football but losing late goals or getting bullied week in week out.

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 12:20 PM
I guess if the product on show is exciting, it will bring in more fans which would possibly make up for any reduced prize money by finishing lower in the league.

It's easy to be bored right now, but at the same time, I like the fact that we are third and still in touch. Would I prefer a more exciting brand of football if meant we finished 5th or 6th? I'm genuinely not sure, because the chances are it means Hearts are consistently above us, which, judging by the reaction after the semi, means the manager who is playing that exciting football may not last too long!!

Playing good football but finishing outside the European spots wouldn’t bring fans through the door, fans want teams that are winning. Stubbs had us playing really good football for two years and our attendances were utterly rotten.

Dr What If?
17-01-2021, 12:28 PM
The thing is, we have done that in the past, played well and ended up losing games, and the reaction on here and at the ground isnt "ah well we played great, didnt mind losing in the end" ive lost count the amount of games we battered teams and ended up losing a late goal to end up losing or drawing, and the reaction isnt a good one.

Sorry Keith M, not sure why your post is included?, was replying to calum
This. 'Hibs are a boy band, Hibs are soft centred, Hibs lack confidence to see out games'......terms I've read on here and in the media for years now. Well we are not a boy band now. A mantra managers love in a post match interview is 'we need to win the right to play'. There are some tough sides in this league, they don't turn up to make us look good.

WhileTheChief..
17-01-2021, 12:32 PM
You’re talking like we are boring to watch though which isn’t true at all. We go through spells during games and have the odd game, but we have far more exciting games than dull ones. Plus the fact we’re sitting in our houses and not at the games and building an atmosphere which makes even the duller games much better. Give me my European trips year in year out which I’ll enjoy regardless of performances or results than 5/6/7th place playing nice attacking football but losing late goals or getting bullied week in week out.

That’s surely subjective though?

There have been lots of people on here saying they find the style of play boring. You can’t decide for someone else that it’s not!

Two people can watch the same game, one finds it exciting and the other boring. Nothing wrong with that, there’s no right or wrong.

Since452
17-01-2021, 12:32 PM
Playing good football but finishing outside the European spots wouldn’t bring fans through the door, fans want teams that are winning. Stubbs had us playing really good football for two years and our attendances were utterly rotten.

Or money. We'd continue to lose out on players to Aberdeen. Sounds fantastic.

Callum_62
17-01-2021, 12:33 PM
I firmly believe if we were guarenteed a 6th place finish every year but play decent football then this board would be full of moaning about us under achieving

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 12:39 PM

You might not find it boring, but plenty people do, hence why it’s constantly a topic of conversation on here. It’s subjective. We haven’t had an exciting game for ages imo and I’d say we have far more dull ones than exciting ones. I’d probably say the last game where our performance was genuinely exciting was Hamilton which was probably 8 or 9 games ago?

European trips are great, absolutely. But if it’s a case of 38 games of boring as **** football in return for a trip to Scandinavia in the summer or week in week out exciting football and missing out on said trip to Scandinavia then I’d probably prefer the latter. Of course, both of them would be even better.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 12:41 PM

Stubbs team won 58% of games under him, more than any manager in my life time. Simply winning games doesn’t bring fans through the door on its own either, just look at Aberdeen.

Winning cups and playing good football certainly saw a big improvement in our crowds though.

Alfred E Newman
17-01-2021, 12:45 PM
I find most games boring to watch at the moment, largely down to the lack of crowds and atmosphere.

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 12:45 PM
Stubbs team won 58% of games under him, more than any manager in my life time. Simply winning games doesn’t bring fans through the door on its own either, just look at Aberdeen.

Winning cups and playing good football certainly saw a big improvement in our crowds though.

Winning the cup did, nothing to do with how we played football otherwise fans would’ve come back those seasons under Stubbs. For all the games we won under Stubbs we achieved nothing until the cup win, hence why fans stayed away. Qualifying for Europe and winning trophies is a far bigger driver on crowds than ‘good football’ will ever be.

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 12:48 PM
You might not find it boring, but plenty people do, hence why it’s constantly a topic of conversation on here. It’s subjective. We haven’t had an exciting game for ages imo and I’d say we have far more dull ones than exciting ones. I’d probably say the last game where our performance was genuinely exciting was Hamilton which was probably 8 or 9 games ago?

European trips are great, absolutely. But if it’s a case of 38 games of boring as **** football in return for a trip to Scandinavia in the summer or week in week out exciting football and missing out on said trip to Scandinavia then I’d probably prefer the latter. Of course, both of them would be even better.

Of course it’s subjective, hence why bringing it up at every opportunity because you personally find it boring is counter productive. If you weren’t excited by how we played against Dundee United then fair enough. I don’t think I’ve seen us that dominant in years so I’d presume your expectations far outweigh reality. I’ll take our football right now for the position we find ourselves in, and the momentum we are building any day of the week.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 12:54 PM
Of course it’s subjective, hence why bringing it up at every opportunity because you personally find it boring is counter productive. If you weren’t excited by how we played against Dundee United then fair enough. I don’t think I’ve seen us that dominant in years so I’d presume your expectations far outweigh reality. I’ll take our football right now for the position we find ourselves in, and the momentum we are building any day of the week.

It’s not just me that brings it up though as you’re suggesting, it gets mentioned all over the majority of match day threads and it gets mentioned all over the threads after these games on the forum. Go and read the match day thread from yesterday up until half time and try and suggest it’s just me that keeps saying it. Tam McManus pointed it out yesterday how boring it was to watch at half time. Plenty folk are finding it boring.

GreenCastle
17-01-2021, 12:56 PM
We aren’t boring to watch - most games are pretty close and while we may not be as fluid as we have seen over some seasons you have to find a balance.

Unless you are miles ahead of other teams with better players the free flowing stuff is fantasy stuff.

Who in Scotland plays free flowing football every week? Maybe the teams with most money and can afford the creative / really skilful players ?

Fans wanting good style over 3rd / 4th ?

I would happily win every derby for the rest of my life 1-0 and play rubbish - be a scrappy game then have a poor derby record. We aren’t going to improve the derby record if we just have the boyband silky players especially at Tynecastles small pitch.

You can’t just pick and choose when you are a free flowing team. Winning and fluid football is the dream for most and especially the purists - our club needs consistency and we are mostly getting that. But we still need to improve in the important games like semi finals / derbies and teams around us (Aberdeen / Celtic / Rangers / Livi).

flash
17-01-2021, 12:57 PM
It’s not just me that brings it up though as you’re suggesting, it gets mentioned all over the majority of match day threads and it gets mentioned all over the threads after these games on the forum. Go and read the match day thread from yesterday up until half time and try and suggest it’s just me that keeps saying it. Tam McManus pointed it out yesterday how boring it was to watch at half time. Plenty folk are finding it boring.
Which teams have been consistently attractive on the eye this season?

GreenCastle
17-01-2021, 12:59 PM
I find most games boring to watch at the moment, largely down to the lack of crowds and atmosphere.

I’ve watched games in the past from all leagues and football can be boring if you take the fake crowd noise out and atmosphere.

Depends what you want..nothing beats live football but often crap games are disguised by the noise - English league definitely showed this.

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 01:01 PM

Exactly, a spell of a game where we were below par, and there were reasons for that. Second half we were far better. If you want us to play swashbuckling free flowing attacking possession football then I’m sorry you are following the wrong team.

In the main we will play attacking football (or at least try to), with Boyle Murphy Nisbet Allan Doig as an attacking full back etc, however it doesn’t always turn out like that. There are many factors to that, and even watching Rangers and Celtic is a chore at times. It’s a competitive league and you have to have that dirty side to you to win games, especially at this time of year.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 01:06 PM
Which teams have been consistently attractive on the eye this season?

I don’t watch that much other football, so I couldn’t tell you.

But unless there’s something happened this season that stops the players on the pitch playing good football then I’m not sure why it matters what others are doing.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 01:08 PM
Exactly, a spell of a game where we were below par, and there were reasons for that. Second half we were far better. If you want us to play swashbuckling free flowing attacking possession football then I’m sorry you are following the wrong team.

In the main we will play attacking football (or at least try to), with Boyle Murphy Nisbet Allan Doig as an attacking full back etc, however it doesn’t always turn out like that. There are many factors to that, and even watching Rangers and Celtic is a chore at times. It’s a competitive league and you have to have that dirty side to you to win games, especially at this time of year.

What? Why am I following the wrong team? :faf: Is that not exactly what Hibs have a tradition of doing?

flash
17-01-2021, 01:08 PM
I don’t watch that much other football, so I couldn’t tell you.

But unless there’s something happened this season that stops the players on the pitch playing good football then I’m not sure why it matters what others are doing.

Good point. There's nothing different about this season whatsoever.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 01:09 PM
Good point. There's nothing different about this season whatsoever.

Of course you’ve totally ignored the part about the players on the pitch.

So are you telling me it’s not possible to play a good style of football because the fans aren’t there?

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 01:14 PM
What? Why am I following the wrong team? :faf: Is that not exactly what Hibs have been known for?

I’m 28 and barring possibly one season I have never seen us go a full season playing fast, free flowing, exciting, attacking football scoring loads of goals.

We’re third in the league, in our second cup semi final of the year, scored the third most goals in the league, conceded the third least goals in the league, got the leagues top scorer, we average 2.5 goals in our games.

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 01:16 PM

So are you telling me it’s not possible to play a good style of football because the fans aren’t there?

Remember, it’s only your opinion that we’re not playing a ‘good style of football’. What if the majority of fans are enjoying what they are seeing? Should Jack Ross change for the minority? As you say it’s all subjective.

easty
17-01-2021, 01:17 PM
Give me boring football and 3rd place over “good” football and 6th place any day.

You cannae please everyone all the time, if we were playing amazing football and were 3rd there would be complaints that the board aren’t showing enough ambition to go and get 2nd place.

This season we’ve been keeping a decent amount of clean sheets, we’ve got a striker scoring plenty goals, we’ve had investment that’s brought in some quality players for our level.

We’re moving the right way, and even if there have been disappointing results along the way, I’m happy with what’s happening this season.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 01:17 PM
I’m 28 and barring possibly one season I have never seen us go a full season playing fast, free flowing, exciting, attacking football scoring loads of goals.

We’re third in the league, in our second cup semi final of the year, scored the third most goals in the league, conceded the third least goals in the league, got the leagues top scorer, we average 2.5 goals in our games.

Nobody is debating all those things. Most of them have been acknowledged.

Again though, it’s subjective, and judging by posts, lots of people find our football boring. It’s not ‘nonsense’ or whatever else it’s been described as, because it’s just an opinion. An opinion that a lot of people hold judging by posts on this forum.

You don’t hold that opinion, that’s fine.

flash
17-01-2021, 01:18 PM

No we often do play good football. Most of us recognise that.

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 01:21 PM
Nobody is debating all those things. Most of them have been acknowledged.

Again though, it’s subjective, and judging by posts, lots of people find our football boring. It’s not ‘nonsense’ or whatever else it’s been described as, because it’s just an opinion. An opinion that a lot of people hold judging by posts on this forum.

You don’t hold that opinion, that’s fine.

Surely all of that makes a game exciting? Goals, mistakes, action points, penalties, red cards. The only thing missing is an atmosphere. What do you class as exciting out of curiosity? What do you want to see from Hibs?

easty
17-01-2021, 01:28 PM
Surely all of that makes a game exciting? Goals, mistakes, action points, penalties, red cards. The only thing missing is an atmosphere. What do you class as exciting out of curiosity? What do you want to see from Hibs?

An exciting game and attractive football aren’t one and the same though. I can see Callums point, I just don’t think it’s as big an issue as some do.

Some of the football we’ve produced hasn’t been very good at all, that’s a fact, but would we rather build the basis of a team who can get results and build performance levels. on that, or have a team who can play great football but have to work on getting results?

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 01:29 PM
No we often do play good football. Most of us recognise that.

A read of the match threads and subsequent threads afterwards would show that a lot of people don’t think that as well.

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?350170-Hibs-2-v-0-Kilmarnock/page5

That’s yesterday’s just before half time.

Here’s a thread titled boring where plenty people are again in agreement -

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?349305-Boring

There’ll be plenty others from previous games.

Making out like it’s just one or two people who think we play boring football or that it’s simply not the case is wrong.

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 01:29 PM
An exciting game and attractive football aren’t one and the same though. I can see Callums point, I just don’t think it’s as big an issue as some do.

Some of the football we’ve produced hasn’t been very good at all, that’s a fact, but would we rather build the basis of a team who can get results and build performance levels. on that, or have a team who can play great football but have to work on getting results?

The opposite of boring is surely exciting though? So if we don’t want boring, then we want exciting? And exciting is goals, incidents, talking points, wins no?

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 01:30 PM

Hearts have probably had plenty games with those things in the past. It doesn’t mean I think they play good football though.

JimBHibees
17-01-2021, 01:51 PM
I firmly believe if we were guarenteed a 6th place finish every year but play decent football then this board would be full of moaning about us under achieving

Spot on the same people would be complaining saying we had failed and wanting the manager sacked.

easty
17-01-2021, 01:52 PM
The opposite of boring is surely exciting though? So if we don’t want boring, then we want exciting? And exciting is goals, incidents, talking points, wins no?

Exciting games and good football aren’t the same thing.

Rory Delaps long throw ins for Stoke back in the day were exciting, but they were a ***** football team.

Andy74
17-01-2021, 01:57 PM
Spot on the same people would be complaining saying we had failed and wanting the manager sacked.

Dundee Utd game case in point. We were brilliant for most of it but drew the game. It was carnage on here after it.

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 02:02 PM

Rory Delaps long throw ins for Stoke back in the day were exciting, but they were a ***** football team.

Exactly, so our games aren’t boring. We aren’t a boring team to watch as there is so much happens in our games. People may think we are play non attractive football, that’s their opinion. There’s a difference between that and boring though.

JimBHibees
17-01-2021, 02:03 PM

Don't think we play boring football so it is entirely subjective on your part. A lot it is about who you are playing against and how they play. Increased revenue due to league position allows us to bring in better players. If we end up 5th or 6th and played a more open style but were caught out on the break like the Dundee United game you would be one of the first piling in on how it wasn't good enough not saying oh well I enjoyed that game even though we lost a last minute goal.

Keith_M
17-01-2021, 02:24 PM
The one thing that is unquestionably boring is the people that have posted a hundred times about being bored.

matty_f
17-01-2021, 02:24 PM
Dundee Utd game case in point. We were brilliant for most of it but drew the game. It was carnage on here after it.

0-0 at Ross County where we battered them as well.

In fact, 16 shots at Celtic on Monday night saw some label us negative.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 02:26 PM
The one thing that is unquestionably boring is the people that have posted a hundred times about being bored.

Ah, we’re back to the forum police telling us how long/how many posts a discussion should last.

If people keep posting then the discussion will keep going. It’s how a forum works.

Keith_M
17-01-2021, 02:28 PM
Ah, we’re back to the forum police telling us how long/how many posts a discussion should last.

I wasn't telling you to do or not do anything, merely making an observation.

If you can continually post how bored you are with watching Hibs, then surely I can post how bored I am reading your constant negativity?

hibsbollah
17-01-2021, 02:31 PM

Yes. In a Hibs context, Yogis teams played ‘attractive’ football in the sense that he likes to get the ball on the deck and play it about. However, in lots of games it seemed to be possession for possessions sake and was quite boring to watch. By contrast, The classic old fashioned ‘winger gets to the bye line, whips in a high percentage cross and the striker rises to bundle it in’ Nish/Mixu/goal isn’t an attractive goal that will excite the purists but it is exciting as **** when you’re in the ground and Hibs score it.

Stoke fans will tell you Delaps long throws were a thing of beauty.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 02:32 PM
I wasn't telling you to do or not do anything, merely making an observation.

If you can continually post how bored you are with watching Hibs, then surely I can post how bored I am reading your constant negativity?

Touchè. :greengrin

Apologies :aok:

Callum_62
17-01-2021, 02:35 PM
A read of the match threads and subsequent threads afterwards would show that a lot of people don’t think that as well.

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?350170-Hibs-2-v-0-Kilmarnock/page5

That’s yesterday’s just before half time.

Here’s a thread titled boring where plenty people are again in agreement -

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?349305-Boring

There’ll be plenty others from previous games.

Making out like it’s just one or two people who think we play boring football or that it’s simply not the case is wrong.Out of curiosity and I haven't went back and checked - what were your posts like after the 1-1 draw with Dundee utd?

Based on what your saying I'd assume they were full of praise for what was really, an excellent display of attacking football

Billy Whizz
17-01-2021, 02:40 PM
Jack’s certainly had a lot of stick on here, but we need to acknowledge the great works he’s done at Hibs. Sitting 3rd in the league
This is a massive week though for Jack and Hibs

hibsbollah
17-01-2021, 02:48 PM
Out of curiosity and I haven't went back and checked - what were your posts like after the 1-1 draw with Dundee utd?

Based on what your saying I'd assume they were full of praise for what was really, an excellent display of attacking football

Ive just had a look at that thread. Basically if you’re a :applause: we should have won by 6 or 7 that day and it’s down to the Utd keeper having a 10/10 day. And if you’re a :grr: it’s down to Doidge being a donkey. And then folk start having a go at each other, hermit crab asks someone out for a square go and someone says something about unseen work...

jacomo
17-01-2021, 02:50 PM
Give me boring football and 3rd place over “good” football and 6th place any day.

You cannae please everyone all the time, if we were playing amazing football and were 3rd there would be complaints that the board aren’t showing enough ambition to go and get 2nd place.

This season we’ve been keeping a decent amount of clean sheets, we’ve got a striker scoring plenty goals, we’ve had investment that’s brought in some quality players for our level.

We’re moving the right way, and even if there have been disappointing results along the way, I’m happy with what’s happening this season.

We should all be happy with the direction of travel. Fans are entitled to grumble about the style of football and certain results, but having a full scale meltdown about it is way over the top.

I suppose the real question is: is this as good as it gets, or is there more to come? Based on our recruitment in the past year I’m definitely in the latter camp. Jack strikes me as a very organised and structured manager but there is potential for more flair and creativity within that.

basehibby
17-01-2021, 02:53 PM

If people keep posting then the discussion will keep going. It’s how a forum works.

Every thread that even slightly attempts to praise Jack Ross and his Hibs side and you are all over it like a rash moaning your slavering face off - now THAT is what I call BORING!

If you find watching your own football team earn positive results boring then I hate to think how you're handling life under lockdown.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 02:53 PM
Out of curiosity and I haven't went back and checked - what were your posts like after the 1-1 draw with Dundee utd?

I said that we’d played very well and couldn’t believe we didn’t run away with it and that it felt like a pish result after the performance and the manner we lost the 3 points. So yes, I did praise what was a very good performance where we played some very decent stuff.

I also acknowledged after the Hamilton 4-0 game that we seemed to be turning a corner with our style of play and that we’d been much better to watch the previous couple of games (whatever games they were, I can’t remember off the top of my head). So I’ve gave him credit when we have played a better style of football.

Regardless though, the football we are playing has been an on going issue for a lot of people. While e played some really good attacking football for a couple of games that was extremely welcome, I’d imagine that the people who haven’t been enjoying the style of football were playing will need to see more than one game to feel we’ve turned a corner - especially when we’ve went back to playing with a style nothing like that Utd game since.

The Modfather
17-01-2021, 02:55 PM
Ive just had a look at that thread. Basically if you’re a :applause: we should have won by 6 or 7 that day and it’s down to the Utd keeper having a 10/10 day. And if you’re a :grr: it’s down to Doidge being a donkey. And then folk start having a go at each other, hermit crab asks someone out for a square go and someone says something about unseen work...

The match thread sounds more entertaining than the actual match was :duck:

Callum_62
17-01-2021, 03:13 PM
I said that we’d played very well and couldn’t believe we didn’t run away with it and that it felt like a pish result after the performance and the manner we lost the 3 points. So yes, I did praise what was a very good performance where we played some very decent stuff.

I also acknowledged after the Hamilton 4-0 game that we seemed to be turning a corner with our style of play and that we’d been much better to watch the previous couple of games (whatever games they were, I can’t remember off the top of my head). So I’ve gave him credit when we have played a better style of football.

Regardless though, the football we are playing has been an on going issue for a lot of people. While e played some really good attacking football for a couple of games that was extremely welcome, I’d imagine that the people who haven’t been enjoying the style of football were playing will need to see more than one game to feel we’ve turned a corner - especially when we’ve went back to playing with a style nothing like that Utd game since.But would you take more of they thrown away points but played well over grinding out a result?

Guess that's the crux

I'd prefer hibs to finish higher up the table regardless of how they got there

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 03:28 PM
But would you take more of they thrown away points but played well over grinding out a result?

Guess that's the crux

I'd prefer hibs to finish higher up the table regardless of how they got there

I would if it’s not a recurring theme. There’s obviously a balance to be struck with regards to results and style and what we’d be willing to accept on each side.

I’d happily sacrifice a few results if we became a team I enjoyed watching. However, as I said above, generally speaking the teams that play good football tend to get decent results anyway so I’m not sure it needs to be a case of one or the other.

BSEJVT
17-01-2021, 03:35 PM

100%

I think the folk that think they want exciting football want to win and the folk that think they want to win want exciting football.

The real problem comes when they get what they want but not what they think they want and complain regardless.

Post Tornadoes I think Hibs have won and won stylishly for the majority of those wins in about maybe 3 other seasons spread across that 50 years.

It is far harder than most folk think for anyone other than the Old Firm.

Very few players who play the type of football we dream off, have it within them to gut out drab wins in Inverness in the middle of winter, when the pitch is frozen, it's blowing a gale and freezing and raining.

Those that do play at a far higher level, the only truly consistent example to the contrary I can think of in my time (post Tornadoes) is John McGinn.

If I had a complaint about this Hibs team it is that there have been a few games when we have looked very lethargic and off the pace, it didn't help that one of those was the Cup Semi against Hearts.

If that result had gone differently there would be a lot less criticism of the manager and the team, it took me weeks to get over than and regain a sense of objectivity.

Callum_62
17-01-2021, 03:40 PM
I would if it’s not a recurring theme. There’s obviously a balance to be struck with regards to results and style and what we’d be willing to accept on each side.

I’d happily sacrifice a few results if we became a team I enjoyed watching. However, as I said above, generally speaking the teams that play good football tend to get decent results anyway so I’m not sure it needs to be a case of one or the other.Going back the last few years have any of the teams finished 3rd or 4th played fantastic football?

Aberdeen certainly don't play exhilarating, Free flowing football

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 03:47 PM
Going back the last few years have any of the teams finished 3rd or 4th played fantastic football?

Yup, and we slaughter them for it. Their own fans slaughter them for it.

We finished 4th playing some of the best football most of us have seen at Hibs.

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 03:54 PM
Yup, and we slaughter them for it. Their own fans slaughter them for it.

We finished 4th playing some of the best football most of us have seen at Hibs.

Ask yourself why, we had probably the best midfield we’ve had in my lifetime, one of which is now one of the best midfielders in the premier league.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 04:04 PM
Ask yourself why, we had probably the best midfield we’ve had in my lifetime, one of which is now one of the best midfielders in the premier league.

Yup we did. Nobody is suggesting that they’ll not be happy until they see the best football we’ve ever seen again though, so a carbon copy of that midfield isn’t what is required, as much as it would be nice. People just want to see something they find entertaining, something which lots of people feel we are lacking.

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 04:07 PM
Yup we did. Nobody is suggesting that they’ll not be happy until they see the best football we’ve ever seen again though, so a carbon copy of that midfield isn’t what is required, as much as it would be nice. People just want to see something they find entertaining, something which lots of people feel we are lacking.

And lots of others find it totally fine and are enjoying seeing us do well, and recognise that it won’t be perfect, and might not get near perfect due to the lack of atmosphere which always helps you enjoy football.

hibsbollah
17-01-2021, 04:07 PM
The match thread sounds more entertaining than the actual match was :duck:

I think the truth was we did absolutely batter them. That keeper is destined for greater things from what I’ve seen a few times now.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 04:09 PM
And lots of others find it totally fine and are enjoying seeing us do well, and recognise that it won’t be perfect, and might not get near perfect due to the lack of atmosphere which always helps you enjoy football.

Of course, nobody has said any differently and those people are entitled to enjoy what they’re watching. I wish I was one but more often than not this season it hasn’t been particularly enjoyable.

People are also entitled not to enjoy it though and the fact they don’t isn’t nonsense or wrong as has been suggested on this thread.

The Modfather
17-01-2021, 04:20 PM
Going back the last few years have any of the teams finished 3rd or 4th played fantastic football?

Has anybody defined what good or entertaining football is? There’s many ways to skin a cat. Pass and move possession football akin to Mowbray or Collins for a brief period. Or the likes of a more high energy pressing style like Lennon's first season back up.

I’ve said already on this thread that I don’t think Ross plays negative or industrious football, and also that for the majority of performances they have been difficult to criticise. The other side, speaking for myself, is that in a lot of those games that are difficult to criticise it’s also been difficult to get excited, win lose or draw.

A big part of why I’ve been bored for large spells in a number of games is either the 442 and effectively surrendering the middle of the park, or the slow tempo e.g. the first half yesterday I lost count of the amount of counter attacks that petered out because Murphy cut inside, took an age, and then when Killie were back behind the ball our counter attack had gone and the ball was back in the midfield slowly passed about. Ross’ teams seen very structured and rigid, which is effective, but not always very exciting.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have found a lot of games boring this season while also calling out the good job Ross is doing overall and the progress he is making. Particularly the type of signings we’ve made the last couple of windows.

Allez Hibs
17-01-2021, 04:22 PM
100%

I think the folk that think they want exciting football want to win and the folk that think they want to win want exciting football.

The real problem comes when they get what they want but not what they think they want and complain regardless.

Post Tornadoes I think Hibs have won and won stylishly for the majority of those wins in about maybe 3 other seasons spread across that 50 years.

It is far harder than most folk think for anyone other than the Old Firm.

Very few players who play the type of football we dream off, have it within them to gut out drab wins in Inverness in the middle of winter, when the pitch is frozen, it's blowing a gale and freezing and raining.

Those that do play at a far higher level, the only truly consistent example to the contrary I can think of in my time (post Tornadoes) is John McGinn.

If I had a complaint about this Hibs team it is that there have been a few games when we have looked very lethargic and off the pace, it didn't help that one of those was the Cup Semi against Hearts.

If that result had gone differently there would be a lot less criticism of the manager and the team, it took me weeks to get over than and regain a sense of objectivity.

Good Post. When we have an exciting team like Mowbray's and Stubbs', some want them to be tougher and have the ability to win ugly. Then when it's a bit more pragmatic and dull some want it to be more exciting. Lennons team that finished 4th had both attributes and it was good to see a tougher version of Hibs that could also play.

At this point of the season with run of the mill league games like yesterday and the League Cup Semi Final coming up it's all about results. I'm willing to cut the team some slack at this point if they're getting results.

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2021, 04:26 PM

And the best manager we've seen in a very long time too. :tee hee:

WhileTheChief..
17-01-2021, 04:26 PM
Of course, nobody has said any differently and those people are entitled to enjoy what they’re watching. I wish I was one.

People are also entitled not to enjoy it though and the fact they don’t isn’t nonsense or wrong as has been suggested on this thread.

It’s got to the stage that folk are now telling you how to feel about watching Hibs!!

If the worst that some fans have to say is that we can be boring at times, it goes to show how far we’ve come.

Nobody is raging or spitting feathers, yet this mild criticism has really touched a nerve with some on here.

Since452
17-01-2021, 04:35 PM
I feel we're in good hands with Ross. Don't know the inner workings of the club but from what I've seen I also feel the manager and the board are aligned in where they want us to be and work well together. The club seems very stable to me and on an upward trajectory.

JimBHibees
17-01-2021, 04:35 PM
It’s got to the stage that folk are now telling you how to feel about watching Hibs!!

If the worst that some fans have to say is that we can be boring at times, it goes to show how far we’ve come.

Nobody is raging or spitting feathers, yet this mild criticism has really touched a nerve with some on here.

Not really it isn't mild criticism it is absolutely incessant droning.

hibbysam
17-01-2021, 04:37 PM

Especially in a thread titled ‘well done jack Ross’ praising him firstly for a decent point away at the champions, and then further on a very good win yesterday.

Jones28
17-01-2021, 04:40 PM

It’s been a lot worse than mild criticism.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 04:46 PM

It is mild criticism.

Incessant droning because you don’t agree with something. How convenient that it’s not incessant droning on the side of the fence you fall on. How very tolerant of others opinions you are Jim.

Peevemor
17-01-2021, 04:47 PM
It’s been a lot worse than mild criticism.Exactly and this place is worse off for it.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 04:49 PM
It’s been a lot worse than mild criticism.

What part of anything that’s been posted has been a lot worse than mild criticism? Saying the style of football is boring? Scathing criticism indeed.

flash
17-01-2021, 04:49 PM
It is mild criticism.

Incessant droning because you don’t agree with something. How convenient that it’s not incessant droning on the side of the fence you fall on. How very tolerant of others opinions you are Jim.
Two of the biggest clubs on earth currently boring the arse off millions of viewers.
Am off to the other games thread to mildly criticise. Probably take me about 40 posts to do so as I make the same point over and over again.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 04:51 PM
Two of the biggest clubs on earth currently boring the arse off millions of viewers.
Am off to the other games thread to mildly criticise. Probably take me about 40 posts to do so as I make the same point over and over again.

Again, another poster that only has an issue with the amount of posts when they don’t agree with them.

JimBHibees
17-01-2021, 04:52 PM
It is mild criticism.

You are more boring than the football style you moan about. Everybody has opinions about how w play but dear oh dear give a bit of credit now and again we are third in the league ffs.

Keith_M
17-01-2021, 04:52 PM
I actually agree with the thought that maybe our view of the entertainment levels on offer is coloured quite a bit by having to watch the match on TV, and there being no crowds.

I'm not for a minute saying that people don't have a point about some of the games maybe being a bit dull, but I genuinely think we'd enjoy it a bit more (even Calum :wink:) if we were able to attend in person.

Hopefully we'll get back to ER at some point and we can all moan at the players from our favourite seats.

flash
17-01-2021, 04:55 PM
Again, another poster that only has an issue with the amount of posts when they don’t agree with them.

No response to my first point I see.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 04:57 PM
You are more boring than the football style you moan about. Everybody has opinions about how w play but dear oh dear give a bit of credit now and again we are third in the league ffs.

:faf:

I’ve said the results have been pretty decent. I gave credit when we went through a spell of playing decent football. I said yesterday was a good result. Just ignore all that though.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 04:57 PM
No response to my first point I see.

I’m not watching it so I can’t really comment 👍🏼

JimBHibees
17-01-2021, 05:02 PM
:faf:

I’ve said the results have been pretty decent. Just ignore that part though.

Must have missed that iota of positivity in the avalanche of negativity. :greengrin

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 05:03 PM
Must have missed that iota of positivity in the avalanche of negativity. :greengrin

:greengrin

I’ll give credit when I feel it’s worth given. I gave credit for the result yesterday, I gave credit when our style of football did seem to improve for a period in December. I don’t think much credit needs given for the style of football because I don’t find it particularly enjoyable.

Jones28
17-01-2021, 05:10 PM
What part of anything that’s been posted has been a lot worse than mild criticism? Saying the style of football is boring? Scathing criticism indeed.

“That result has kept Jack Ross in a job” was one post that springs to mind but with respect I’m not trawling through the forum to try and find posts to prove my point tonight. I started a thread a couple of weeks ago that I feel proves my point enough if you’re inclined to look for it yourself.

Some us will feel, myself included, that the criticism has been ott, others don’t.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 05:18 PM
“That result has kept Jack Ross in a job” was one post that springs to mind but with respect I’m not trawling through the forum to try and find posts to prove my point tonight. I started a thread a couple of weeks ago that I feel proves my point enough if you’re inclined to look for it yourself.

Some us will feel, myself included, that the criticism has been ott, others don’t.

Apologies, I thought you meant on this thread. :aok: there has undoubtedly been some OTT criticism elsewhere.

Tug Wilson
17-01-2021, 06:00 PM
The trouble with forums are they tend to encourage extreme views and then spiral out of control.

Do Hibs play boring football?

I think that the answer is, at times, yes. All the time? Definitely not.

My opinion is that I want to watch fast and entertaining football with Hibs battering the opposition and scoring a barrel load of goals. I would even accept conceding a few is fine - as long as we win!

And that is the crux of the matter. As long as we win.

So I am happy to be pragmatic and accept the grinding out of results.

I don't share the view that sacrificing league position for more attractive football would be OK. League position comes first. However, I don't necessarily see the two being mutually exclusive.

Other people can have a different view from me. That is up to them.

What I don't understand is the negativity towards Jack Ross. There seems to be a reasonably large number of fans who want him out. I just can't get my head round that.

He has overseen a fairly impressive revamp of squad from the unbalanced mess that Paul Heckingbottom left behind.

The club's recruitment policy seems to be working very well. Yes, some players have not made an instant impact, but it is fairly easy to see what we are trying to achieve.

This season is going well. I am willing to put up with some boring football in the meantime.

roo62
17-01-2021, 06:09 PM
The trouble with forums are they tend to encourage extreme views and then spiral out of control.

Do Hibs play boring football?

I think that the answer is, at times, yes. All the time? Definitely not.

My opinion is that I want to watch fast and entertaining football with Hibs battering the opposition and scoring a barrel load of goals. I would even accept conceding a few is fine - as long as we win!

And that is the crux of the matter. As long as we win.

So I am happy to be pragmatic and accept the grinding out of results.

I don't share the view that sacrificing league position for more attractive football would be OK. League position comes first. However, I don't necessarily see the two being mutually exclusive.

Other people can have a different view from me. That is up to them.

What I don't understand is the negativity towards Jack Ross. There seems to be a reasonably large number of fans who want him out. I just can't get my head round that.

He has overseen a fairly impressive revamp of squad from the unbalanced mess that Paul Heckingbottom left behind.

The club's recruitment policy seems to be working very well. Yes, some players have not made an instant impact, but it is fairly easy to see what we are trying to achieve.

This season is going well. I am willing to put up with some boring football in the meantime.

This is where I am at with Hibs and Jack Ross. It is a decent season so far.
I also think the lack of crowd atmosphere has an impact on the tempo of play.
I believe our football will improve when the crowds are allowed back. Players like Martin Boyle I believe will be more impactful.

superfurryhibby
17-01-2021, 06:23 PM
Clear third place in the league, another cup semi final coming up, the signing of two more talented players and another year to a Hibs legend, other key players returning from injury......what’s actually not to like?

Personally speaking it would be quite nice if all Hibs supporters could acknowledge that we’re due a very big well done to Jack Ross.

In Ross and Ron we trust. GGTTH.

B.H.F.C
17-01-2021, 06:32 PM
Clear third place in the league, another cup semi final coming up, the signing of two more talented players and another year to a Hibs legend, other key players returning from injury......what’s actually not to like?

Personally speaking it would be quite nice if all Hibs supporters could acknowledge that we’re due a very big well done to Jack Ross.

In Ross and Ron we trust. GGTTH.

For me, I think you can say well done for putting us in a position to have a good season. We really need to push on and make sure that we take advantage of where we find ourselves, in cup and league.

I don’t read too much in to being in a semi final given the opposition we’ve faced to reach it. Next week is massive for him, given what happened the last time we were at Hampden. I’m in the camp that hasn’t found it all that enjoyable to watch this season but you can’t argue, or be disappointed, with where we are sitting in the league currently.

calumhibee1
17-01-2021, 07:08 PM
For me, I think you can say well done for putting us in a position to have a good season. We really need to push on and make sure that we take advantage of where we find ourselves, in cup and league.

I don’t read too much in to being in a semi final given the opposition we’ve faced to reach it. Next week is massive for him, given what happened the last time we were at Hampden. I’m in the camp that hasn’t found it all that enjoyable to watch this season but you can’t argue, or be disappointed, with where we are sitting in the league currently.

:agree: