PDA

View Full Version : All leagues below championship suspended

we are hibs
11-01-2021, 10:41 AM
As well as the Scottish cup for 3 weeks. All championship clubs must be tested weekly.

Scottie
11-01-2021, 10:43 AM
Common sense from the powers that be but why below the Championship ? Should be immediately for all leagues imo until we get the vaccine rolled out for everyone.

Sir David Gray
11-01-2021, 10:43 AM
https://twitter.com/ramanbhardwajTV/status/1348595423431294977?s=19

Keith_M
11-01-2021, 10:49 AM
I presume The Championship is OK because they do regular testing?

:dunno:

ballengeich
11-01-2021, 10:50 AM
I'm not surprised by this except that I'd anticipated the Championship being suspended too. They can start weekly testing, but Alloa and Arbroath are part-time so players could be at their day jobs between a test and match day. I'd have thought that only completely full-time divisions could continue at present.

04Sauzee
11-01-2021, 10:51 AM
Looks like we will have a few young boys who are out on loan not playing football.
I can understand the reasoning though.

lord bunberry
11-01-2021, 11:06 AM
I presume The Championship is OK because they do regular testing?

:dunno:
They don’t, but if they want to continue they’ll have to.

Since90+2
11-01-2021, 11:07 AM
Does this mean the league cup semi finals are off?

cabbageandribs1875
11-01-2021, 11:10 AM
Does this mean the league cup semi finals are off?

all LC sides are top league i reckon they will still be on

league games are

Lago
11-01-2021, 11:13 AM
QUOTE=Half Pint;6415033]Common sense from the powers that be but why below the Championship ? Should be immediately for all leagues imo until we get the vaccine rolled out for everyone.[/QUOTE]
Totally agree another half hearted response.

Billy Whizz
11-01-2021, 11:13 AM
Gives Hibs a free weekend, unless we move one of our midweek games to the Saturday

Diclonius
11-01-2021, 11:16 AM
I suspect the top divisions will soon follow. Here we go again...

Paul1642
11-01-2021, 11:23 AM
Any ideas what this could mean for the Scottish cup?

Beefster
11-01-2021, 11:43 AM

I just got a notification saying that the QotS game is postponed.

Sir David Gray
11-01-2021, 11:57 AM

The next round (round 3) will be postponed along with any outstanding ties from rounds 1 & 2.

Paul1642
11-01-2021, 12:38 PM
The next round (round 3) will be postponed along with any outstanding ties from rounds 1 & 2.

This could be pretty tight to catch up on. There are already a few fixtures well behind.

ancient hibee
11-01-2021, 12:47 PM
Common sense from the powers that be but why below the Championship ? Should be immediately for all leagues imo until we get the vaccine rolled out for everyone.

So suspend football until about September with no TV money coming in and maybe having to pay some back. Seems a good way to bankrupt a few clubs.

hibby6270
11-01-2021, 01:09 PM
Is it true that unless the leagues are 80% completed, they can be called null and void?

On the plus side
Sevco - No “55”.
Jambos - Another season in Championship?

On the negative side
No European spot for us - maybe?

JimBHibees
11-01-2021, 01:10 PM
Gives Hibs a free weekend, unless we move one of our midweek games to the Saturday

That would make sense I think unless we have a couple coming in near end of the window and might want to give them time to bed in.

Scottie
11-01-2021, 01:20 PM
So suspend football until about September with no TV money coming in and maybe having to pay some back. Seems a good way to bankrupt a few clubs.
You've obviously not got a grasp of whats going on with Covid in the UK or worldwide with a reply like that :rolleyes:

Over a 1000 people a day are dying in the UK alone and projected to get worse but lets bash on wi the football because its the right thing to do. Its not just elderly with underlying health issues that are dying its young fit people as well. Maybe until you see body bags up your street or a family member in one of them you'll start believing the figures coming out and the right thing to do is temporarily suspend football until we can get a grasp of this virus. Unfortunately clubs could go to the wall and die just like 10s of thousands of folk here have already done.

nonshinyfinish
11-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Is it true that unless the leagues are 80% completed, they can be called null and void?

On the plus side
Sevco - No “55”.

On the negative side

I don't think there are established rules or cut-off points. I think what happens in the event of the season finishing early would be exactly like last year: it's up to the SPFL (i.e., the clubs) to come to an agreement and get it voted through. At the start of this season the SPFL board tried to get the clubs to agree a set of rules to govern an unfinished season, but the clubs didn't fancy it. Mostly, you'd assume that's because they want the opportunity to vote for what most benefits them depending on the exact circumstances.

Billy Whizz
11-01-2021, 01:30 PM
That would make sense I think unless we have a couple coming in near end of the window and might want to give them time to bed in.

The rearranged Dundee Utd game, due to the semi final would be the ideal one

ancient hibee
11-01-2021, 01:44 PM
You've obviously not got a grasp of whats going on with Covid in the UK or worldwide with a reply like that :rolleyes:

Over a 1000 people a day are dying in the UK alone and projected to get worse but lets bash on wi the football because its the right thing to do. Its not just elderly with underlying health issues that are dying its young fit people as well. Maybe until you see body bags up your street or a family member in one of them you'll start believing the figures coming out and the right thing to do is temporarily suspend football until we can get a grasp of this virus. Unfortunately clubs could go to the wall and die just like 10s of thousands of folk here have already done.
If you look at my age you’ll see that I know only too well what the situation is.Nowhere in your reply do you give a reason why football at the top level should stop.What effect would that have on the death and infection rate. We are talking about a very small number of people.Do you think that large employers who will not be carrying out the amount of testing that elite football does should be closed down? Frankly I find your remarks about my opinion extremely insulting .You know nothing about me,my family or my situation and as my mother used to say “if you can’t keep a civil tongue in your head you should keep it shut”.

jacomo
11-01-2021, 02:02 PM

That would mean no more football in 2021.

jacomo
11-01-2021, 02:05 PM

Everyone won’t be vaccinated by September. To hit that UK government would need to be vaccinating 2m people a week (plus follow up jabs, call it 4m appointments a week) and we are way off that target.

GreenCastle
11-01-2021, 02:17 PM
Makes sense to suspend lower leagues. I was amazed they were allowed to continue for two long.

Some leagues with players who are definitely not professional being allowed to continue was nonsense.

Hearts are lucky they are allowed to continue but I assume the Championship only goes ahead if all teams test ?

You can tell they want to avoid no promotion / relegation after last seasons carry on.

As others have said the seriousness of the situation can’t be under estimated here and folk saying football isn’t an issue - well there are plenty of examples of it being an issue already and we have no idea what else has happened lower down leagues as they don’t test !

jacomo
11-01-2021, 02:29 PM

We are at the peak of the crisis right now, no question. Hence the current lockdown. But the figures were nothing like this bad last summer. It’s also possible that many people have already had the virus and have natural immunity. Waiting until everyone has had the vaccine could take a year, and banning sport until then seems reckless in its own way.

lord bunberry
11-01-2021, 02:30 PM
What happens if the other championship clubs say they can’t afford to test?

Del Boy
11-01-2021, 02:33 PM

On the plus side
Sevco - No “55”.

On the negative side

I could live with the negative side tbh

DaveF
11-01-2021, 02:35 PM
What happens if the other championship clubs say they can’t afford to test?

James Anderson rides to the rescue.

Saint Hibee
11-01-2021, 02:35 PM
Do we get to relegate Hearts again?

ballengeich
11-01-2021, 02:56 PM
it's up to the SPFL (i.e., the clubs) to come to an agreement and get it voted through. At the start of this season the SPFL board tried to get the clubs to agree a set of rules to govern an unfinished season, but the clubs didn't fancy it.
From my memory that's not what they did - they asked the clubs to give the SPFL board power to decide the season as they saw fit without a further vote. That's what the clubs rejected.

I think the board should have put a set of rules to the clubs for approval, and should still do that. As the chief executive is only paid twice as much as the prime minister that's probably too much to ask for.

Scottie
11-01-2021, 03:02 PM
If you look at my age you’ll see that I know only too well what the situation is.Nowhere in your reply do you give a reason why football at the top level should stop.What effect would that have on the death and infection rate. We are talking about a very small number of people.Do you think that large employers who will not be carrying out the amount of testing that elite football does should be closed down? Frankly I find your remarks about my opinion extremely insulting .You know nothing about me,my family or my situation and as my mother used to say “if you can’t keep a civil tongue in your head you should keep it shut”.
I apologise that my post has offended you as this was not the intention. I'm somewhat het up with the whole Covid 19 situation and the numbers involved.

Hibernia&Alba
11-01-2021, 03:06 PM
Hardly seems fair to allow some leagues to continue whilst others are suspended. I get that testing is much better in the SPL, but, in present circumstances of a rapidly spreading virus, there must be a case for another complete suspension.

Steve20
11-01-2021, 03:19 PM
I could live with the negative side tbh

I still can't believe people are that bothered about Celtic winning the league, that they would happily miss out on a European place to give them another shot at 10 in a row.

Null and Void should never be used at this stage. People might not like Rangers winning it, but like last season was correct that it was called and Celtic won it, then Rangers would win it this year.

Far too early for that anyway. Season could be put back if needed. Can't be having the Euros stopping the season being completed.

Hibs4185
11-01-2021, 03:30 PM
I would make a sizeable bet that if it was Hamilton or St Mirren in the championship rather than Hearts, the championship would be suspended also.

Don Giovanni
11-01-2021, 03:34 PM
I still can't believe people are that bothered about Celtic winning the league, that they would happily miss out on a European place to give them another shot at 10 in a row.

Null and Void should never be used at this stage. People might not like Rangers winning it, but like last season was correct that it was called and Celtic won it, then Rangers would win it this year.

Far too early for that anyway. Season could be put back if needed. Can't be having the Euros stopping the season being completed.

You've got to admit though that if the circumstances conspired to prevent The Rangers winning their first major trophy it would be funny as **** :greengrin:

Peevemor
11-01-2021, 03:36 PM
I would make a sizeable bet that if it was Hamilton or St Mirren in the championship rather than Hearts, the championship would be suspended also.

I don't see why.

I think it'll mainly be down to there being more full time clubs in the championship therefore the protocols will be easier to follow.

GreenCastle
11-01-2021, 03:38 PM

Very good point.

Considering Anderson has been bank rolling several parts of the Scottish game they were never going to stop the Hearts connections and suspend that league - even though they are doing minimal testing plus the cost to clubs now to test (maybe from recent government donations to lower league clubs?!)

Yorkshire HFC
11-01-2021, 03:47 PM

I've not had any enthusiasm for the football this season - I think every league should be stopped at the moment.

I don't see that the supposed benefits to society are worth it. I'd much rather my gym was open to be honest - and I think many more people would benefit from that than sitting watching what just appears to me to be a series of friendlies on tv in their house.

I know some people think otherwise, but I just want us to get through the next few months. I hope we get a full season next season, but I don't think it should start up again until we're confident that we can safely get a decent amount of people into the stadiums.

Forza Fred
11-01-2021, 04:01 PM
We are at the peak of the crisis right now, no question. Hence the current lockdown. But the figures were nothing like this bad last summer. It’s also possible that many people have already had the virus and have natural immunity. Waiting until everyone has had the vaccine could take a year, and banning sport until then seems reckless in its own way.

But how do you know we are ‘at the peak of the crisis’?

Not having a go, but while may be at a ‘peak’ of what we have seen so far, we are really guessing if we think it can’t get worse.

Hope you are right by the way.

nonshinyfinish
11-01-2021, 04:01 PM
From my memory that's not what they did - they asked the clubs to give the SPFL board power to decide the season as they saw fit without a further vote. That's what the clubs rejected.

I think the board should have put a set of rules to the clubs for approval, and should still do that. As the chief executive is only paid twice as much as the prime minister that's probably too much to ask for.Ah yes, I think you're right.

Either way, the upshot is that an early finish would be handled in the same way as last season.

ancient hibee
11-01-2021, 04:57 PM
I apologise that my post has offended you as this was not the intention. I'm somewhat het up with the whole Covid 19 situation and the numbers involved.

Think we’re all pretty het up. Thank you for your gracious apology.

lord bunberry
11-01-2021, 04:59 PM
James Anderson rides to the rescue.
I was thinking that might happen.

Billy Whizz
19-01-2021, 04:48 PM
Wonder what will happen to the Lower leagues, with lockdown continuing at least until mid Feb

FilipinoHibs
20-01-2021, 06:53 AM
I see Hearts next two games are against Ruth Rovers who had to have their last game canceled because of Covid 19 outbreak in their squad. Interesting to see if Hearts get infected now.

Since452
20-01-2021, 06:55 AM
I see Hearts next two games are against Ruth Rovers who had to have their last game canceled because of Covid 19 outbreak in their squad. Interesting to see if Hearts get infected now.

They'll be isolating off the streets of Ruth

Diclonius
20-01-2021, 11:40 AM

Ruth's from Buckhaven, not Kirkcaldy.

CropleyWasGod
20-01-2021, 11:43 AM

Ain't that the Traith?

Hermit Crab
20-01-2021, 11:43 AM

Absolutely nothing to be proud of. Complete hovel of a place.

CropleyWasGod
20-01-2021, 11:58 AM
Absolutely nothing to be proud of. Complete hovel of a place.

As Burns Night approaches, all I can say is Up wi' the lads o' Buckhaven. :greengrin