PDA

View Full Version : Laughably Bad

Carheenlea
07-01-2021, 07:19 PM
Saw a clip of this on Twitters "Crap 90`s Football" and couldn`t help but laugh. A rare defeat that season on a dreadful surface, and the sort of performance we have been treated to for as long as I`ve been going when you least expect expect it.

Clydebank were playing home matches at the old Boghead back then - who was all at this one?

https://youtu.be/cBZGDafTe3M

Chorley Hibee
07-01-2021, 07:24 PM
Saw a clip of this on Twitters "Crap 90`s Football" and couldn`t help but laugh. A rare defeat that season on a dreadful surface, and the sort of performance we have been treated to for as long as I`ve been going when you least expect expect it.

Clydebank were playing home matches at the old Boghead back then - who was all at this one?

I was there, remember Ian McCall giving us stood behind him it tight when they scored.

Baldy Foghorn
07-01-2021, 07:45 PM
Was there too.

Jeez Marinkov, (sp), and Gottsklalkson......:greengrin

Chorley Hibee
07-01-2021, 07:51 PM
Was there too.

Was with you on the Carlton bus. Many good memories of the trips away that season.

BroxburnHibee
07-01-2021, 07:52 PM

Yes I was there.

Onceinawhile
07-01-2021, 07:53 PM
I'm sure we took the train there, but can't be certain as I'd only have been about 10 at the time..

Ringothedog
07-01-2021, 08:02 PM
Was with you on the Carlton bus. Many good memories of the trips away that season.

Snap

Smartie
07-01-2021, 08:06 PM
Was that not the first game we'd lost in donkeys, having played some quite brilliant stuff during the months leading up to that?

How tf did we ever manage to win the league with Ollie in goals btw? We can't have had the ball near our goal that much that season.

Iggy Pope
07-01-2021, 08:12 PM
An enjoyable season that didn’t start well, made better with some good signings (particularly Mixu) but I remember turning up there and knowing we were getting beat that day! I’d never had much fun at Boghead, only one or two exceptions.

DJ HIBBY
07-01-2021, 08:22 PM
Was that not the first game we'd lost in donkeys, having played some quite brilliant stuff during the months leading up to that?

How tf did we ever manage to win the league with Ollie in goals btw? We can't have had the ball near our goal that much that season.

Ironically, he was one of our best players that season from what I recall. He was then dropped for colgan early the next season.

Edit - and yes was there for both games at boghead. The bogs there were howling, whole floors flooded in piss 🙈

Baldy Foghorn
07-01-2021, 08:25 PM

:aok:

Mon Dieu4
07-01-2021, 08:26 PM
I was there too, only missed one game that season, the 2nd Stranraer away, don't think I will ever beat the amount of games I went to that season

Smartie
07-01-2021, 08:28 PM
Ironically, he was one of our best players that season from what I recall. He was then dropped for colgan early the next season.

I remember the fullbacks being good - Lovering was decent on the left, Collins superb on the right. We had our issues in the middle of the defence with all sorts of funny folk playing a bit part there, like Derek Anderson and Marinkov.

Mixu turned the season - terrible until he arrived, much better as soon as he pitched up. I remember Stevie Crawford being good for a while and being linked with a possible Scotland call-up from the second tier, but hearing less of him as Latapy and then Sauzee came in.

Justin Skinner I remember being a class act for us, and I also remember at least a couple of cracking goals from Paul Hartley.

Can't remember much about the keeper. Ollie was howling the year before, but you don't win the league without a goalkeeper winning you points along the way. He looks hopeless again in the game above though, all over the shop. The players get a bit of leeway due to the horrible pitch.

DJ HIBBY
07-01-2021, 08:32 PM
I remember the fullbacks being good - Lovering was decent on the left, Collins superb on the right. We had our issues in the middle of the defence with all sorts of funny folk playing a bit part there, like Derek Anderson and Marinkov.

Mixu turned the season - terrible until he arrived, much better as soon as he pitched up. I remember Stevie Crawford being good for a while and being linked with a possible Scotland call-up from the second tier, but hearing less of him as Latapy and then Sauzee came in.

Justin Skinner I remember being a class act for us, and I also remember at least a couple of cracking goals from Paul Hartley.

Can't remember much about the keeper. Ollie was howling the year before, but you don't win the league without a goalkeeper winning you points along the way. He looks hopeless again in the game above though, all over the shop. The players get a bot of leeway due to the horrible pitch.

Agree with most of that. I remember Tom Smith looking like a real good signing before horror injury too

brianmc
07-01-2021, 08:35 PM
I was there with a Bankie supporting pal. Met up with all his mates in the pub before the game (The Stag's Head maybe..?).
Luckily I was so steaming by the time we left I have zero recollection of what was, I believe, a brutal attempt at football.

DJ HIBBY
07-01-2021, 08:38 PM

Can't remember much about the keeper. Ollie was howling the year before, but you don't win the league without a goalkeeper winning you points along the way. He looks hopeless again in the game above though, all over the shop. The players get a bot of leeway due to the horrible pitch.

Agree with most of that. I remember Tom Smith looking like a real good signing before horror injury too

weedgiehibbie
07-01-2021, 08:40 PM
Yeah was at this game and the 2-2 draw earlier that season, couldn't believe how bad e were that day - was only about 14 so have seen many more poor performances since :greengrin

Going to Boghead was err.. quite an education. I've ben to Brockville a few times but stadiums like those back in the late 90's were like time capsules/machines - only time i remember more grass/greenery growing through the disused terracing than on the pitch.

I think i may have went to just as many away games as home if not, and probably, more as most, other than Raith and Stranraer, were almost "home" games :greengrin

h1bs4life
07-01-2021, 08:42 PM
Was there , we did a tour of some old dumps that season but was enjoyable.
Big Mixu was a great signing at the time .
Le God's 1st game was at Brockville with Marinov.
Was that the season we played St Johnstone in the cup , we took a huge support up there filled the away end and some only for Oli to have a nightmare and we got beat 4-0

CMurdoch
07-01-2021, 10:09 PM
Was there too.

I had successfully forgotten about Marinkov
Now i'm going to have to forget him again!

wookie70
07-01-2021, 10:25 PM
I was there. Dreadful performance

Since452
07-01-2021, 10:31 PM
One of my favourite seasons supporting Hibs. Franck Sauzee must have wondered what he was doing at some of those places

tamig
07-01-2021, 11:50 PM

There was nothing wrong with Marinkov. Decent centre-half who helped us back up. Sure he might even have made his debut along with Sauzee.

Shrekko
08-01-2021, 12:09 AM
There was nothing wrong with Marinkov. Decent centre-half who helped us back up. Sure he might even have made his debut along with Sauzee.

Agree Marinkov was absolutely fine- people seem to think some players are poor simply because they only played a few games. think by the time he arrived we had a settled centre half pairing of Yogi and Shaun Dennis.

Derek Anderson however... oh my God, we had some terrible players early in that season and he was the worst.

HoboHarry
08-01-2021, 12:12 AM

At Falkirk if I remember correctly.

Peevemor
08-01-2021, 05:32 AM
At Falkirk if I remember correctly.The match, in torrential rain, that more or less put us out of Falkirk's reach.

greenlad
08-01-2021, 05:32 AM
Agree Marinkov was absolutely fine- people seem to think some players are poor simply because they only played a few games. think by the time he arrived we had a settled centre half pairing of Yogi and Shaun Dennis.

Derek Anderson however... oh my God, we had some terrible players early in that season and he was the worst.

I think Hughes never played at all that season after New Year because of injury. Maybe returned the last day of the season. Mark Dempsie played with Shaun Dennis then Marinkov came in the same time as Sauzee.

From his few appearances Marinkov looked decent and IIRC it was only family reasons that saw him return to France in the summer, over time he'd have ousted either of Hughes or Dennis. Instead we signed Matty Jack, who was pretty average his first year at centre half, before being switched to the Matty Jack role in midfield.

supermcginn
08-01-2021, 06:35 AM

There was nothing wrong with marinkov, steady player.

BILLYHIBS
08-01-2021, 07:08 AM
Picked up Olly the Goalie from the Airport when he arrived in Scotland

I told him all he has to worry about is beating the Hearts

We lost 0-1

TBF we did beat Celtic 2-1 on his debut

Gregor
08-01-2021, 07:53 AM

Can't remember much about the keeper. Ollie was howling the year before, but you don't win the league without a goalkeeper winning you points along the way. He looks hopeless again in the game above though, all over the shop. The players get a bit of leeway due to the horrible pitch.

Mixu was terrible when he arrived ; for 1 game. Thrown into the side away to St Mirren after being pumped out the league cup by St Mirren. I remember a massively depressing drive home after a 2-0 pumping and wondering what we were doing spending money on that donkey. He never appeared for the next game. This followed a massive run of form building up slowing after that game from mid-September until February when we were pumped out the other cup, by Stirling Albion. Although Mixu bolstered the team up front, I would put that largely down to the introduction of Latapy who was afforded protection by the brilliant Justin Skinner. That unbeaten run turned things around from a potential horror-show.

https://web.archive.org/web/19990221122717/http://www.erinweb.org.uk:80/cgi-bin/fixtures.cgi has quite a few match reports (sadly not including the Clydebank game referenced in this thread) if anyone is interested.

lord bunberry
08-01-2021, 08:23 AM
The match, in torrential rain, that more or less put us out of Falkirk's reach.
I remember that game well, I turned up in just a hibs top and no jacket, I was soaked to the skin. I remember being behind the goals in what was normally the home end for that game, I can’t remember why that was.

Peevemor
08-01-2021, 09:03 AM
I remember that game well, I turned up in just a hibs top and no jacket, I was soaked to the skin. I remember being behind the goals in what was normally the home end for that game, I can’t remember why that was.

I think the terracing behind the goals at the away end was closed (unsafe) and given that it was the most important match so far that season there simply wasn't enough room for all the Hibs supporters where we were meant to be.

lord bunberry
08-01-2021, 09:05 AM
I think the terracing behind the goals at the away end was closed (unsafe) and given that it was the most important match so far that season there simply wasn't enough room for all the Hibs supporters where we were meant to be.
Aye that rings a bell.

tamig
08-01-2021, 12:29 PM
Aye that rings a bell.

I was in that stand at Brockville that day for the one and only time. A miserable day weather wise but great to see Sauzee start off his magnificent spell with us.

Glory Lurker
08-01-2021, 12:34 PM
Was at both the Clydebank and Falkirk games. All I remember about the Boghead game is the state of the toilets, which says it all about that one. I don't remember it raining at Brockville which maybe reflects that game being much better!

Stevie Reid
08-01-2021, 12:54 PM
Went to pretty much every away game that season, bar Stranraer.

Think we had won 14 straight games ahead of the Clydebank defeat. Seem to remember Yogi, in the Inside Easter Road video, saying that the players had convinced Sauzee that Boghead was a majestic all seater stadium.

Had been at Boghead before in the 80s when we drew 0-0 with Dumbarton in the SC, but it seemed much worse in 1999. Like watching a game at the Meadows.

green with envy
08-01-2021, 01:26 PM
Was that the game Barry Lavety got sent off?

Peevemor
08-01-2021, 01:26 PM

Think we had won 14 straight games ahead of the Clydebank defeat. Seem to remember Yogi, in the Inside Easter Road video, saying that the players had convinced Sauzee that Boghead was a majestic all seater stadium.

Had been at Boghead before in the 80s when we drew 0-0 with Dumbarton in the SC, but it seemed much worse in 1999. Like watching a game at the Meadows.My first trip to Boghead was a relegation battle in the early 80s when Hibs laid on free buses (SMT double deckers). We won 2-0 IIRC but it could have been more. It was probably about the best we played all season.

Chorley Hibee
08-01-2021, 01:29 PM
Was that the game Barry Lavety got sent off?

Yes

Cat Stanton
08-01-2021, 02:34 PM

Couldn't see the video on my mobile for some reason. If anyone else having the same problems, this is the comedy gold clip on twitter - https://twitter.com/i/status/1347119727479578624

Pretty Boy
08-01-2021, 02:44 PM
My abiding memory of the early part of that season was getting horsed 4-0 away to St Johnstone in the League Cup and a very large part of the sizeable Hibs support chanting 'sack the board' for much of the last 10 minutes. John O'Neil bossed the midfield and Nathan Lowndes tore our defence apart.

By contrast I remember the away game at Raith the week after we had sealed promotion where I was stood next to a bunch of guys in fancy dress singing 'Thank you for the Hibees' to the tune of the ABBA classic. Some turnaround.

I also though Oli the goalie was very good that season. Rarely let us down, I think that was about his level as he toiled again when we were promoted. I wasn't at all surprised when he was dropped after he had a nightmare in a 3-2 win v Dundee Utd. Colgan played the following week at Killie, Kenny Miller scored twice in a 2-0 win.

The adventure season was good fun. I saw the likes of Stair Park and Boghead. I also think it may be one of the last times a team won the league with people primarily relying on radios to ears for the updates on the other game. Mobile phone use exploded among non business types around about that time. The ripple effect when Morton scored against Falkirk just wouldn't happen now with widespread smart phone use.

BILLYHIBS
08-01-2021, 02:45 PM
My first trip to Boghead was a relegation battle in the early 80s when Hibs laid on free buses (SMT double deckers). We won 2-0 IIRC but it could have been more. It was probably about the best we played all season.
Was there real do or die and for once HIBS turned up Fantastic support

lord bunberry
08-01-2021, 02:54 PM
Was that Clydebanks last season before Airdrie bought them over?

Iggy Pope
08-01-2021, 02:56 PM
My first trip to Boghead was a relegation battle in the early 80s when Hibs laid on free buses (SMT double deckers). We won 2-0 IIRC but it could have been more. It was probably about the best we played all season.

I can go a wee bit further back to the previous first division campaign in 80/81 and a Wednesday night defeat at Boghead. I remember a poor crowd that seemed to consist almost entirely of Hibbies.

Iggy Pope
08-01-2021, 03:00 PM

Had been at Boghead before in the 80s when we drew 0-0 with Dumbarton in the SC, but it seemed much worse in 1999. Like watching a game at the Meadows.

Me and my muckers stayed over at Stranraer last away game of the campaign. Karaoke machines were getting turned off all over town :greengrin

Carheenlea
08-01-2021, 03:02 PM
I can go a wee bit further back to the previous first division campaign in 80/81 and a Wednesday night defeat at Boghead. I remember a poor crowd that seemed to consist almost entirely of Hibbies.

Sounds like an utterly grim night! There’s been a few..

Peevemor
08-01-2021, 03:07 PM
Me and my muckers stayed over at Stranraer last away game of the campaign. Karaoke machines were getting turned off all over town :greengrinA crowd of my pals stayed the night of the first match in Stranraer and ended up chatting to Campbell Money in a bar. They asked how he thought Stranraer (he was their manager) would do that season.

"Och, we'll get relegated" was his reply .

When he saw the look of surprise on their faces he asked "Well who else is going to get relegated?.

Apparently he was sound as well as maybe too honest.

BSEJVT
08-01-2021, 03:46 PM

He was like Bobby Moore compared to Anderson, there is a place for Anderson in my all time worst Hibs defence

HoboHarry
08-01-2021, 03:52 PM
He was like Bobby Moore compared to Anderson, there is a place for Anderson in my all time worst Hibs defence
Anderson? Can't recall him or am I having a brain fart?

Gaffer1875
08-01-2021, 04:32 PM
Picked up Olly the Goalie from the Airport when he arrived in Scotland

I told him all he has to worry about is beating the Hearts

We lost 0-1

TBF we did beat Celtic 2-1 on his debut

I think he’s served time in jail since ending his football career! Wasn’t he a decent basketball player if my memory serves me right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
08-01-2021, 04:33 PM
I think he’s served time in jail since ending his football career! Wasn’t he a decent basketball player if my memory serves me right?

Allez Hibs
08-01-2021, 05:56 PM

Was that from the 2-2 game or the 2-0 loss? Kevin Harper scored his last goal for Hibs to make it 2-1 late on before his move to Derby.

Cat Stanton
08-01-2021, 10:01 PM
Was that from the 2-2 game or the 2-0 loss? Kevin Harper scored his last goal for Hibs to make it 2-1 late on before his move to Derby.

2-0 defeat.

jgl07
09-01-2021, 12:44 AM

Marinkov wasn't a bad defender. Her was a lot better than some that McLeish brought in and discarded after one or two matches such as Steffan Karl.

I attended all 36 League matches that season plus all the League Cup and Scottish Cup matches. Two trips to Boghead, two to Stranraer, and two to Cliftonville. They were all experiences.

bigwheel
09-01-2021, 04:07 AM

You don’t get away with that with a C Murdoch username .....now he sent shivers every time I think about him.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BS44
09-01-2021, 09:02 AM

There was a good photo ( I was in it) in the following Monday's Evening News of Stevie Crawford celebrating with the Hibs fans after he scored in the 88th minute to put us up 2 1, but as Hibs have done routinely over the years we very generously let the opponent equalise a minute later

ekhibee
09-01-2021, 09:04 AM

Just out of curiosity mate, why weren't Clydebank playing at Kilbowie? I'm not being smart, just don't remember why.

greenlad
09-01-2021, 09:08 AM
Just out of curiosity mate, why weren't Clydebank playing at Kilbowie? I'm not being smart, just don't remember why.

They had sold it a few years beforehand and lodged at Boghead then Cappielow. In 2002 they were bought and renamed as Airdrie United and moved to Airdrie.

Keith_M
09-01-2021, 09:09 AM

The owners sold the stadium (in '95, I think) with the promise of building a new one, and they played in Dumbarton on a 'temporary' basis.

Obviously, the new stadium never did materialise.

Peevemor
09-01-2021, 09:13 AM
Just out of curiosity mate, why weren't Clydebank playing at Kilbowie? I'm not being smart, just don't remember why.The Steedmans sold Kilbowie with a view to moving to a new stadium (they even bought land) but the club disappeared (now Airdrie) before anything was built.

The shared with Morton then Dumbarton for a few seasons.

EI255
09-01-2021, 09:23 AM
Nice challenge by Barry Levety there

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Keith_M
09-01-2021, 09:32 AM
The Steedmans sold Kilbowie with a view to moving to a new stadium (they even bought land) but the club disappeared (now Airdrie) before anything was built.

The shared with Morton then Dumbarton for a few seasons.

I just said all that!

:na na:

Peevemor
09-01-2021, 09:33 AM
I just said all that!

:na na:I was stuck for 5 minutes deciding whether to write Steedmans or Steedmen. [emoji23]

Keith_M
09-01-2021, 09:45 AM
I was stuck for 5 minutes deciding whether to write Steedmans or Steedmen. [emoji23]

Fair enough, that does sound like a bit of a quandary (or is it quandry?).

:wink:

allyh1bs
11-01-2021, 09:06 AM

I think he was an Iceland international. Used to see him at Edinburgh Rocks BBL games at the old Meadowbank.