PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of the last two games - and our season in general.

Keith_M
03-01-2021, 10:57 AM
OK, first up: This is just my personal analysis of what's gone wrong the last couple of games, set in a bigger picture of our season overall. I'm not an expert, just an ordinary supporter attempting to take a clinical look at what he's observed.

---------------------------------------

I think Ross sets us up as a counter-attacking side, but that just doesn't work when the opposition are doing the same.

Teams will often be more attacking at home, so our style of play is more effective when we're away from home, hence the decent results. However, when teams come to ER, they're the ones doing the counter-attacking and our main game plan falls apart.

Because we've suddenly got a lot of the ball, and facing a side with 9 or 10 in defence, it takes something special to break that down. Some games we've had that bit of creativity and others, like the last two, the ball has just been passed back and forward aimlessly until we lose it and the opposition go on the counter attack.

Unfortunately, desperation seems to have set in the last couple of games and we've over-committed players, meaning County and Livi have run straight through the gaps in our defence. There's also the psychological aspect, where the players are thinking 'here we go again', and it ends up a self fulfilling prophecy.

In essence, what we're missing, IMHO, is the level of creativity, or a proper game plan, for 'home' style matches where the opposition is just sitting in waiting for a break. We're also missing real leaders on the park that can motivate their teammates when things aren't going as expected.

Please Note: Players will obviously make individual mistakes, or be 'off the boil', so to speak, so it isn't always straightforward to analyse when things go wrong, as there's never one simple answer. So, this analysis isn't in any way an attempt to disregard player deficiencies or mistakes ,even though I'm not convinced that we're quite as bad as some posters would suggest.

erin go bragh
03-01-2021, 11:03 AM
County and Livi both set up 4141 and JR has to work out how to counter this .
Alex Miller said pre match County game , that we could struggle against that formation and unfortunately, he was spot on .

ClermistonGreen
03-01-2021, 11:07 AM
We need another box of non executive directors to get this mess sorted .
They must all have great skills in their areas of expertise !

CMurdoch
03-01-2021, 12:12 PM
Factoid - SPFL minutes played stats - there are 4 Hibs players in the top 7.
I think the main players have been run into the ground. They look done both mentally and physically.

We have got away with it all season until the last the 3 games in a week starting with the massive effort the same players put in against Rangers.
I suggested putting all the fringe players in against Rangers and giving the main guys a rest before the Ross Co game which was worth the same 3 points. Folk on here didn't like that idea, but in view of what has happened subsequently it is looking a good call. The players situation wasn't helped by Livingston's game against Aberdeen being called off leaving them looking rested and fresh yesterday and Hibs including even young Nisbet looking totally done in.

The reasons this has come about are pretty obvious:
The pandemic - a sensible decision was made by the club to go with a small squad including sending any young players not likely to be involved, out on loan and in that way the club would lose the minimum of money this season so that we are ready to go again post Covid. That has proved a sensible strategy with teams like our rivals Aberdeen losing a ton of money with their massive squad. A heavy cost to finish one place above Hibs.

However, a small group of Hibs players have been forced to carry the load for game after game and made it work until a week ago.
The reasons they have had to work so hard are two fold:
1. The time it is taking players to come back to full fitness from major injuries. Magennis, Murphy, Wright, Mackie and Mallan. There has also been the unexpected loss of Scott Allan. The very limited use of these players has been a big hit and has eventually had a predictable impact on those left carrying the load.
2. Despite the small squad there are a group of players amongst it that the manager has deemed not good enough and he will not play unless forced. I agree with him but it has again added pressure onto the small number of main guys.

In essence the original small squad has been transformed into a tiny one.

Sadly a lot of folk that post on here don't notice or even consider these factors so instead of praising the guys who have carried the load successfully all season start kicking them as soon as the entirely predictable losses start. If they could have carried it for the last two games there was a chance of players coming back from injury and a couple of players incoming this month. The club gambled and almost got away with it but logic eventually prevailed.

Keith_M
03-01-2021, 12:23 PM
Sadly a lot of folk that post on here don't notice or even consider these factors so instead of praising the guys who have carried the load successfully all season start kicking them as soon as the entirely predictable losses start. ....

Sadly, there are some people that appear to be waiting for any chance to put the boot in, and refuse to look at any situation with a balanced point of view. To them, there is only bad, never good. Any games we have won and won well have been down to 'luck' or poor opposition.

Any discussion with them is a lost cause, as they'd made their minds up long ago, so I no longer bother.

Allez Hibs
03-01-2021, 12:29 PM
I think the main players have been run into the ground. They look done both mentally and physically.

We have got away with it all season until the last the 3 games in a week starting with the massive effort the same players put in against Rangers.
I suggested putting all the fringe players in against Rangers and giving the main guys a rest before the Ross Co game which was worth the same 3 points. Folk on here didn't like that idea, but in view of what has happened subsequently it is looking a good call. The players situation wasn't helped by Livingston's game against Aberdeen being called off leaving them looking rested and fresh yesterday and Hibs including even young Nisbet looking totally done in.

The pandemic - a sensible decision was made by the club to go with a small squad including sending any young players not likely to be involved, out on loan and in that way the club would lose the minimum of money this season so that we are ready to go again post Covid. That has proved a sensible strategy with teams like our rivals Aberdeen losing a ton of money with their massive squad. A heavy cost to finish one place above Hibs.

However, a small group of Hibs players have been forced to carry the load for game after game and made it work until a week ago.
1. The time it is taking players to come back to full fitness from major injuries. Magennis, Murphy, Wright, Mackie and Mallan. There has also been the unexpected loss of Scott Allan. The very limited use of these players has been a big hit and has eventually had a predictable impact on those left carrying the load.
2. Despite the small squad there are a group of players amongst it that the manager has deemed not good enough and he will not play unless forced. I agree with him but it has again added pressure onto the small number of main guys.

Sadly a lot of folk that post on here don't notice or even consider these factors so instead of praising the guys who have carried the load successfully all season start kicking them as soon as the entirely predictable losses start. If they could have carried it for the last two games there was a chance of players coming back from injury and a couple of players incoming this month. The club gambled and almost got away with it but logic eventually prevailed.

Very good post 👏

CMurdoch
03-01-2021, 12:31 PM
Sadly, there are some people that appear to be waiting for any chance to put the boot in, and refuse to look at any situation with a balanced point of view. To them, there is only bad, never good. Any games we have won and won well have been down to 'luck' or poor opposition.

Any discussion with them is a lost cause, as they'd made their minds up long ago, so I no longer bother.

They never back it up with any insight. It's just reactionary anger and makes for a tedious read.
Celtic next!

Shanksaidno
04-01-2021, 05:52 PM
Very good post 👏

Well said Mr M

hibbysam
04-01-2021, 09:05 PM
We definitely lack patience as a team. At home when teams sit in, we need to do something to entice them out. We either make two passes and try and find a diagonal, or fire it into a centre forward with his back to goal and no players around him. Sometimes popping it along the back 4 to try and bring the opposition out to create space in behind works, or simply moving the ball quicker to create gaps in a press. We are fine when counter attacking, but atrocious when we should be dominating the ball.

Bristolhibby
04-01-2021, 09:08 PM

Good post

Bristolhibby
04-01-2021, 09:09 PM
We definitely lack patience as a team. At home when teams sit in, we need to do something to entice them out. We either make two passes and try and find a diagonal, or fire it into a centre forward with his back to goal and no players around him. Sometimes popping it along the back 4 to try and bring the opposition out to create space in behind works, or simply moving the ball quicker to create gaps in a press. We are fine when counter attacking, but atrocious when we should be dominating the ball.

Reminds me of the three years in the Championship. You’d have thought we’d be champs by now at breaking teams down.

J

hibbysam
04-01-2021, 09:10 PM
Reminds me of the three years in the Championship. You’d have thought we’d be champs by now at breaking teams down.

J

Exactly the same, try it for 15 minutes and if we haven’t broken through just fire long balls to Doidge.

Mr. Wonderful
04-01-2021, 09:19 PM

It's no surprise these guys are out and we lack the creativity to break teams down. Between Mallan, Allan, and Murphy that's a fair amount of potential goals and assists.. Murphy in particular is a huge miss in terms of giving others the space to do their thing too.

We need better delivery from our fbs too.

Northernhibee
04-01-2021, 09:46 PM

Excellent post. As ludicrous a decision as it is to postpone the game to Monday to allow Celtic to go off on a wee jolly to Dubai, it maybe works out for us by allowing us to rest the players for a couple of days and give them a small breather. The mistakes we made against Livi and even Ross County looked born of tiredness more than anything and being without quite a few key players really hasn't allowed us to give anyone a rest.

wookie70
04-01-2021, 09:49 PM
Exactly the same, try it for 15 minutes and if we haven’t broken through just fire long balls to Doidge.

Firing long balls balls against a team sitting in isn't the worst plan but we do it after two or three square passes to let them get their shape back. I'd be tempted to play Boyle and Nisbet up front and get the back four to fire it into channels early. That at least gets us all moving forward and challenging for the second ball. If it works it at least get the opposition a bit further back negating their fast breaks a bit and on the odd occasion we might get a goal from it.

I wouldn't fire long balls at Doidge as he isn't strong enough to hold it up or clever enough to win a foul. He does get the odd flick on but he is usually the most advanced man so it is easily dealt with.

Jones28
04-01-2021, 10:17 PM
Great post. Agree with every word.

worcesterhibby
04-01-2021, 10:46 PM

post of the year so far ! (Although it is only Jan 4th) :greengrin

matty_f
04-01-2021, 10:52 PM

This is a cracking post, I wish I’d read it before recording the podcast tonight. Would 100% have discussed this.

CMurdoch
04-01-2021, 11:13 PM
This is a cracking post, I wish I’d read it before recording the podcast tonight. Would 100% have discussed this.

Thanks Matty. Re the minutes played in the SPFL this season. A bit more meat on the bones.

Porteous and McGinn are 2 of only 3 players in the league to have played every minute of every game.
Boyle has played the 5th most minutes of any player in the league missing only 11 minutes. Kent in 23rd is the next placed winger.
Hanlon has 7th most playing minutes in the league.
Joe Newell in 14th has played more minutes than any other midfielder and Kevin Nisbet in 25th has played more minutes than any other striker.

That is 7 of our outfield 10 players and Doidge (42nd) & Marciano (27th) are not far behind them with Gogic a little way behind in 70th.
No other Hibs player is within the top 100 players for minutes played in the SPFL so it's basically been the above 10 players every game plus 1 from the stop start injury carrying guys.

For the reasons given in my original post these guys have been run into the ground out of necessity which eventually resulted in two tired performances after 20 mainly good efforts which culminated in their last great display against Rangers earlier in the week. In all the circumstances these 10 Hibs players have done all the heavy lifting this season and we should acknowledge that instead of giving them abuse because they could no longer carry the load themselves. Hopefully all those whose surnames begin with M can now get themselves fit and up to speed and the club can bring in a couple of reinforcements just in case a few of those M's can't.

P.S. Andy Considine is the 1st Aberdeen player to appear on the list in 34th and well behind 6 of our players.

Jones28
05-01-2021, 08:25 AM
Thanks Matty. Re the minutes played in the SPFL this season. A bit more meat on the bones.

Porteous and McGinn are 2 of only 3 players in the league to have played every minute of every game.
Boyle has played the 5th most minutes of any player in the league missing only 11 minutes. Kent in 23rd is the next placed winger.
Joe Newell in 14th has played more minutes than any other midfielder and Kevin Nisbet in 25th has played more minutes than any other striker.

That is 7 of our outfield 10 players and Doidge (42nd) & Marciano (27th) are not far behind them with Gogic a little way behind in 70th.
No other Hibs player is within the top 100 players for minutes played in the SPFL so it's basically been the above 10 players every game plus 1 from the stop start injury carrying guys.

For the reasons given in my original post these guys have been run into the ground out of necessity which eventually resulted in two tired performances after 20 mainly good efforts which culminated in their last great display against Rangers earlier in the week. In all the circumstances these 10 Hibs players have done all the heavy lifting this season and we should acknowledge that instead of giving them abuse because they could no longer carry the load themselves. Hopefully all those whose surnames begin with M can now get themselves fit and up to speed and the club can bring in a couple of reinforcements just in case a few of those M's can't.

P.S. Andy Considine is the 1st Aberdeen player to appear on the list in 34th and well behind 6 of our players.

So, when we wonder why our players look knackered compared to others we can respond with this thread.

Can this get a sticky? :greengrin

Phenomenal work sir :aok::top marks

wookie70
05-01-2021, 09:19 AM

I just had a wade through the list of minutes played too. It is even more graphic when you see the crests of the teams and very obvious that we feature highly in the top 25 appearance times. 6 of those are our players and they are all outfield players. Only Joe Lewis gets in that 25 for Aberdeen but he is a goalie. The good news for the semi final is St Johnstone look like the next team with players who have played most minutes with 4 outfield players in the top 25.

Great work and I think your theory that tiredness/fatigue is a factor must hold some weight.

Here is a link (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scottish-premiership/dauerbrenner/wettbewerb/SC1) for anyone wanting to take a look

JimBHibees
05-01-2021, 09:44 AM

Thanks for that very much puts the last two performances into some sort of context. Hopefully the players will have been given a number of days of total rest however whether that will be enough is another matter. What we obviously need is the players currently injured to return and bring in 2 or 3 to freshen up options. Great work :aok:

number9dream
05-01-2021, 10:05 AM
It certainly looks like fatigue is a factor for our small squad, although the OP makes valid points too.
Given the circumstances, should we have simply dug in for turgid stalemates - maybe hoping to nick something but focusing on not giving anything away? It would be truly awful to watch but it's what Aberdeen would do and we'd be two points better off if we'd managed back-to-back 0-0 draws.
Getting Murphy fit and keeping him fit will be key for the second half of the season and a return for Allan would be most welcome. There can't be much in the way of funds available to the manager after the Nisbet and Magennis fees. Maybe one good loan deal could make the difference.

Danderhall Hibs
05-01-2021, 12:13 PM
What a good thread. Makes a change to see some reasoned debate, some good analysis and discussion instead of the polarised debates.

More of this please!

Callum_62
05-01-2021, 01:02 PM
https://twitter.com/The_Tman10/status/1346432485996056577?s=19

High praise indeed [emoji119][emoji106]

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

worcesterhibby
05-01-2021, 01:24 PM

I'm quite impressed that he actually quoted the post rather than pretending it was his own thoughts like most pundits would have done.

Keith_M
05-01-2021, 01:37 PM

It looks like 'Our Colin' is now famous

:greengrin

CMurdoch
05-01-2021, 01:57 PM
It looks like 'Our Colin' is now famous

My son follows Tam so brought it to my notice to which my wife responded by asking if I had been winding people up again :confused:
I should probably quit now although it's not a patch on Saul last season with Omeonga, the plane, the time and the position of the sun. That blew me away.

et_hibby
05-01-2021, 02:01 PM

:top marks good stuff.

basehibby
05-01-2021, 02:16 PM
Some brilliantly perceptive points made here which I think really do nail it re our performances home and away this season.

There seems to be something of an over-reliance on the slow build up from the back - we are a good passing team but most other sides are making it very tough for us at ER by giving us no room in the midfield. I would like to see us mixing it up a bit more at home - I like passing football but if it aint working then try something else!

The above combined with the tiredness explained so well by CMurdoch accounts for these last two abysmal perfomances. Too many normally reliable players were failing to find their man with too many passes in midfield areas - so gifting the opposition possession in dangerous places where they could easily break forward. Perhaps Jack Ross could and should have tweaked us tactically to take account of the above - I have been generally supportive of him but I don't think he's absolved of any blame for poor performances - I still believe he'll get it more right than wrong this season though, and remain behind him.

I think the above tells us two things - that the nine day break before the Celtic game is a godsend and that we desperately need to strengthen the squad this window if we don't want to see a similar fall off in form towards the end of the season.

lord bunberry
05-01-2021, 03:42 PM
Going back to Cmurdochs excellent post, it’s not helped by having 2 players on the bench that hardly get any game time. Gray and big Daz are maybe past their best but in order to keep some of the others from burning themselves out they need to be playing more. Mcginn looked affected the most on Saturday and Gray would’ve been a better option. If they’re only going to be brought on as a last resort we need to think about replacing them. Personally I think they’ve both got enough left to feature in games where we’re not going to be under as much pressure.

calumhibee1
05-01-2021, 04:46 PM
My son follows Tam so brought it to my notice to which my wife responded by asking if I had been winding people up again :confused:
I should probably quit now although it's not a patch on Saul last season with Omeonga, the plane, the time and the position of the sun. That blew me away.

That sounds incredibly close to what my mrs asks me every time she sees me on hibs.net on my phone - “is that you arguing with people on the internet again?” :greengrin

skyhibs
05-01-2021, 05:28 PM
Al very good points to make and excuse the last two performances.... They are more excuses than reasons... we are in forth position and we ware there on points gained and not performances.... we have gained three points on a few occasions this season where our performance did not merit... we have had a few decent games and where we have deserved the points...
.. I don’t know why we use the excuse at players are tired and burnt out, professionals should be able to play 90 mins at least twice a week...
we have really struggled against apparently week teams... league cup games were mostly terrible against teams that are part time and have other jobs... tiredness for these guys is a real possibility

take ross county... they played the cup game end of November and the following 6 games had not scored a goal but come to Easter road bottom of the pile and they beat us so easy.... I don’t know how people can defend that loss to Ross county except saying our players are just not good enough on the day.....

Jones28
05-01-2021, 06:28 PM
Al very good points to make and excuse the last two performances.... They are more excuses than reasons... we are in forth position and we ware there on points gained and not performances.... we have gained three points on a few occasions this season where our performance did not merit... we have had a few decent games and where we have deserved the points...
.. I don’t know why we use the excuse at players are tired and burnt out, professionals should be able to play 90 mins at least twice a week...
we have really struggled against apparently week teams... league cup games were mostly terrible against teams that are part time and have other jobs... tiredness for these guys is a real possibility

take ross county... they played the cup game end of November and the following 6 games had not scored a goal but come to Easter road bottom of the pile and they beat us so easy.... I don’t know how people can defend that loss to Ross county except saying our players are just not good enough on the day.....

I’m going to go with actual evidence that players are tired rather than you’d opinion if it’s all the same to you thanks.

Keith_M
05-01-2021, 06:31 PM

Yeah, you're good mate, but you're not 'Saul Level' good.

:nerd:

That sounds incredibly close to what my mrs asks me every time she sees me on hibs.net on my phone - “is that you arguing with people on the internet again?” https://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/greengrin2.gif

Having read some of your posts, Calumn, I think that's a reasonable question.

wookie70
05-01-2021, 06:39 PM
From a form point of view I think many would say James Tavernier is one of the players of the Scottish football season. He was pretty much a goal or an assist every league game up until the Christmas period. Since then just under 5 games and no goals or assists in the league. He is the 4th most minutes played only missing 5 minutes of league football. Up until the Christmas games Tavernier had 20 involvements in The Rangers 47 goals. No involvements since Xmas games and they have scored 10 goals. If he has ran out of gas in a team playing very well then there is every chance that fatigue is playing a big part in our recent performances.

calumhibee1
05-01-2021, 06:50 PM
Having read some of your posts, Calumn, I think that's a reasonable question.

It is indeed. I don’t even pretend to her that’s not what I’m doing anymore :greengrin

CMurdoch
05-01-2021, 06:57 PM
It is indeed. I don’t even pretend to her that’s not what I’m doing anymore :greengrin

:agree: Denial is futile. The kids even check my post numbers and give me knowing looks.

GreenCastle
05-01-2021, 08:55 PM
I’m going to go with actual evidence that players are tired rather than you’d opinion if it’s all the same to you thanks.

Where is the evidence the players are tired ?

Can the original poster link where they are finding these stats about minutes please ? Would be keen to read it. Thanks

It was obvious Livi would be more fresh than Hibs - especially after Hibs losing to Ross County. If Hibs beat Ross County I’m sure they would have felt more fresh as psychologically winning you usually get a lift.

I don’t understand why Ross didn’t make subs in both games earlier ?

He doesn’t trust Gray / McGregor and obviously won’t give youth as much of a chance.

Surely he should have changed shape too..going 4-3-3 is usually a high press game and players are spread out more / meaning more recovery runs and wasting of limited energy!!

A 4-3-3 needs full backs to get forward too and if McGinn / Boyle tired then why this formation.

He could have easily played Doidge after Rangers game as he was fresh and rested Nisbet - play Gullan.

It’s a fair point about wasting all that effort for nothing against Rangers. 3 points out of 9 at least would have been better than 0 out of 9.

Players looked like they were hating football by the end of Livi game.

Another issue I have is the rushing back of Mallan / Rocky. Rocky was never going to be ready and it was a risk thinking he could get through it and recover during the break.

We have to be careful with these players coming back from injury theh aren’t rushed back as we need them playing regularly but not at detriment to their health long term.

MWHIBBIES
06-01-2021, 03:47 AM

It's not 2 games a week that's the problem. It's 10 games a month. Fatigue doesn't happen based on a week.

Stuart93
06-01-2021, 05:04 AM

Aye decent praise indeed

A weird angle from Tam referring to fellow hibs fans as “roasters” mind you when there’ll be many of us contributing towards his hibs tv wage.

Jones28
06-01-2021, 07:54 AM
Where is the evidence the players are tired ?

Can the original poster link where they are finding these stats about minutes please ? Would be keen to read it. Thanks

It was obvious Livi would be more fresh than Hibs - especially after Hibs losing to Ross County. If Hibs beat Ross County I’m sure they would have felt more fresh as psychologically winning you usually get a lift.

I don’t understand why Ross didn’t make subs in both games earlier ?

He doesn’t trust Gray / McGregor and obviously won’t give youth as much of a chance.

Surely he should have changed shape too..going 4-3-3 is usually a high press game and players are spread out more / meaning more recovery runs and wasting of limited energy!!

A 4-3-3 needs full backs to get forward too and if McGinn / Boyle tired then why this formation.

He could have easily played Doidge after Rangers game as he was fresh and rested Nisbet - play Gullan.

It’s a fair point about wasting all that effort for nothing against Rangers. 3 points out of 9 at least would have been better than 0 out of 9.

Players looked like they were hating football by the end of Livi game.

Another issue I have is the rushing back of Mallan / Rocky. Rocky was never going to be ready and it was a risk thinking he could get through it and recover during the break.

We have to be careful with these players coming back from injury theh aren’t rushed back as we need them playing regularly but not at detriment to their health long term.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scottish-premiership/dauerbrenner/wettbewerb/SC1

It's all there to see.

I agree with your points about subs and shape, and it was obvious to me in both games that we should have gone with the same starting 11 as we did against Rangers. We could even have rotated the midfield between Hallberg, Mallan, Newell and KM. It would have been a good chance the give Donaldson a start too, especially with Stevenson behind him to talk him through the game. Boyle could have been used as an impact player instead of making another start, then Wright could have had a shot in his most favoured position wide right.

This is all well and good in hindsight, and I'm sure the coaches would have looked at all these options.

Biggie
06-01-2021, 08:38 AM
Aye decent praise indeed

A weird angle from Tam referring to fellow hibs fans as “roasters” mind you when there’ll be many of us contributing towards his hibs tv wage.

Agree Stuart, strange one....maybe another ex pro who is of the opinion if you've not played the game professionally, or he doesn't agree with it, you qualify as a "roaster".

Keith_M
06-01-2021, 08:48 AM
Aye decent praise indeed

I thought the roasters comment was fair enough.

hibbysam
06-01-2021, 08:56 AM
Agree Stuart, strange one....maybe another ex pro who is of the opinion if you've not played the game professionally, or he doesn't agree with it, you qualify as a "roaster".

A lot of folk who use messageboards are ‘roasters’. There’s a fair amount of nonsense and abuse posted on here that nobody would say in the street, it’s not just messageboards but Social Media in general.

jacomo
06-01-2021, 03:25 PM
Going back to Cmurdochs excellent post, it’s not helped by having 2 players on the bench that hardly get any game time. Gray and big Daz are maybe past their best but in order to keep some of the others from burning themselves out they need to be playing more. Mcginn looked affected the most on Saturday and Gray would’ve been a better option. If they’re only going to be brought on as a last resort we need to think about replacing them. Personally I think they’ve both got enough left to feature in games where we’re not going to be under as much pressure.

In hindsight they should both have been in against Livi. Paul seemed to give the ball away with every pass and Ryan was all over the place.