PDA

View Full Version : Any news on injured players

worcesterhibby
31-12-2020, 05:14 PM
The midfield in particular, looked leggy against Ross County and we really needed the likes of Mallan, Allan or Murphy to add some spark and creativity. Do we have any news on when they’ll be fit ?

Smartie
31-12-2020, 05:24 PM
I thought it looked like we need to limp through a game or two then have a rest for a few weeks, all the while getting injured players back from injury to fitness.

Not a great year for us to be limping along without a winter break.

TBH I'm a bit concerned about where we are right now. Small squad, quite a lot of injuries, a few players badly out of form and limited options to shake it up.

Not wanting to make this a pop at the club as I'm more than aware of the bigger picture this season re finances etc. Just a bit concerned about how off the pace we looked last night against one of the poorest teams in the league, and concerned about the options we have available to change it up.

CMurdoch
31-12-2020, 05:41 PM
The midfield in particular, looked leggy against Ross County and we really needed the likes of Mallan, Allan or Murphy to add some spark and creativity. Do we have any news on when they’ll be fit ?

Ross said Marciano, Mallan and Murphy are in the running "to be involved" on Saturday with Magennis & Mackie on the way back after that and lastly Allan working on his fitness for a while yet. I would suggest we don't sign another player whose surname begins with M if we want to avoid constant injuries.

JimBHibees
31-12-2020, 05:42 PM
Looked knackered was very surprised Gogic didn't get a run given his athleticism

worcesterhibby
31-12-2020, 05:42 PM
I thought it looked like we need to limp through a game or two then have a rest for a few weeks, all the while getting injured players back from injury to fitness.

Not a great year for us to be limping along without a winter break.

TBH I'm a bit concerned about where we are right now. Small squad, quite a lot of injuries, a few players badly out of form and limited options to shake it up.

Not wanting to make this a pop at the club as I'm more than aware of the bigger picture this season re finances etc. Just a bit concerned about how off the pace we looked last night against one of the poorest teams in the league, and concerned about the options we have available to change it up.

to be fair we have 4 properly creative midfielders at the club..75% of them are out injured..that’s a bit unlucky. Last night was just the sort of match we needed Mallan for, I just hope he’s back soon.

Hibees1973
31-12-2020, 05:57 PM
Looked knackered was very surprised Gogic didn't get a run given his athleticism

When I see Gogic he doesn’t strike me as athletic, just my opinion. He looks cumbersome and seems to spend time just following the ball, i.e tactically naive.

He can be effective, particularly away from home when we have less of the ball and we need to break play up, protecting the back four. But in home games when we normally have over 60% possession I would not play Gogic.

However, given how the team played last night I would not be surprised to see him in the team against Livi.

Brooster
31-12-2020, 05:59 PM
When I see Gogic he doesn’t strike me as athletic, just my opinion. He looks cumbersome and seems to spend time just following the ball, i.e tactically naive.

He can be effective, particularly away from home when we have less of the ball and we need to break play up, protecting the back four. But in home games when we normally have over 60% possession I would not play Gogic.

However, given how the team played last night I would not be surprised to see him in the team against Livi.

Ross County would never have steamrolled our central midfield if Gogic had been playing.

Smartie
31-12-2020, 06:15 PM

I would consider playing Gogic, or any defensive central midfielder, mainly because having him there gives other players a license to attack more.

Full backs, other central midfielders, even our centre halves can be handy bringing the ball forward.

I'd have three out and out defensive players every game, either 3 centre halves or two centre halves and a defensive midfielder. You can have all that and still be a very attacking team indeed.

CMurdoch
31-12-2020, 06:33 PM

As you can see he wasn't happy at being left in the stand

http://vilearts.blogspot.com/2015/04/skeletors-very-tangled-love-life.html

Jonnyboy
01-01-2021, 01:15 PM
Ross County would never have steamrolled our central midfield if Gogic had been playing.

I agree, S and yet there’s been a prominent view on here that against the likes of Ross County we don’t need him. Pretty sure Vigurs wouldn’t have been given the freedom of the midfield area if Gogic was on the park.

CentreLine
01-01-2021, 02:41 PM

Personally I like to see Gogic deployed slightly further up the park. It means we are defending higher and tends to break down opponents attacks in a place where we have more potential to do damage. I think the first time we saw him there was the Hamilton game and he was very effective.

green day
01-01-2021, 02:55 PM

Its of more concern to me that JR didnt spot this within the first 30 minutes when the 3 v 2 was so obvious.

There seems to be a narrative that Yogi is a doughnut on account of how he talks - but he certainly came up with a plan to win the midfield, and we did nothing to combat that.

I sincerely hope him and Potter learn - and fast - because our tactics and setup have become too easy to read.

flash
02-01-2021, 07:59 AM
Its of more concern to me that JR didnt spot this within the first 30 minutes when the 3 v 2 was so obvious.

There seems to be a narrative that Yogi is a doughnut on account of how he talks - but he certainly came up with a plan to win the midfield, and we did nothing to combat that.

I sincerely hope him and Potter learn - and fast - because our tactics and setup have become too easy to read.
I must be losing it as I was convinced we did start the game with 3 in midfield in a 352 formation.

JimBHibees
02-01-2021, 08:06 AM
I must be losing it as I was convinced we did start the game with 3 in midfield in a 352 formation.

We clearly did Wright was in a central three in a 352. Think we changed it when we criminally allowed them to score with their first attack. Then went to 4 with Wright wide left which didn't really work as they just sat in and spoiled however we get the penalty and the whole game changes. Vigours being allowed to foul at will probably didn't help either. We looked lacking in energy that is for sure and team need a couple of fresh players this afternoon to improve that.

JimBHibees
02-01-2021, 08:08 AM
I agree, S and yet there’s been a prominent view on here that against the likes of Ross County we don’t need him. Pretty sure Vigurs wouldn’t have been given the freedom of the midfield area if Gogic was on the park.

Agree with that Gogic should definitely have come on to give us a bit more physicality in midfield

JimBHibees
02-01-2021, 08:12 AM

He gets about the pitch and wins the ball. Needs to move the ball quicker at times but definitely horses for courses with him and he should have come on at some stage against County. We will need him today against Livi that will battle as they have been reenergised under Martindale. Don't give away the first goal softly like Wednesday and think we will score as not hugely convinced by their defence especially on the ground.

green day
02-01-2021, 08:13 AM
From the pre match email -

Ofir Marciano, Jamie Murphy and Stevie Mallan are in contention to return to the squad after injury but Kyle Magennis, Sean Mackie and Scott Allan remain on the sidelines

weecounty hibby
02-01-2021, 08:31 AM
From the pre match email -

Ofir Marciano, Jamie Murphy and Stevie Mallan are in contention to return to the squad after injury but Kyle Magennis, Sean Mackie and Scott Allan remain on the sidelines
Sky reporting that all are out of today's game with injury

Booked4Being-Ugly
02-01-2021, 08:50 AM

Brutal, we'll need to fit a revolving door to the treatment room!

flash
02-01-2021, 08:53 AM
Hopefully we can believe the club ahead of Sky.

B.H.F.C
02-01-2021, 09:07 AM

You’re not. We did and changed to a four after about half an hour.

flash
02-01-2021, 09:08 AM
You’re not. We did and changed to a four after about half an hour.

Aye which made us worse if I recall properly.

Carheenlea
02-01-2021, 09:08 AM
I’d like to see Gogic back with a start. The argument about him being handier away from home doesn’t wash with me - given our habit of conceding cheaply despite enjoying a lot of the ball, having Gogic in the mix to try and break up any opposition attacks would make me feel a little more confident in our ability to keep teams out. Don’t think our defence is strong enough to play without a defensive midfielder regardless of opposition.

Brightside
02-01-2021, 09:11 AM
433 hopefully. Gogic Newall Hallberg in the middle. Niz, Doidge, Boyle up top.

Eyrie
02-01-2021, 09:37 AM
433 hopefully. Gogic Newall Hallberg in the middle. Niz, Doidge, Boyle up top.

Makes sense.

Not only does it give us three in midfield, but Gogic allows McGinn and Doig to be more attacking.

green day
02-01-2021, 09:41 AM

Sorry, was being a wee bit flippant as our 3 looked like a 2..................

Their goal came from a gaping hole in the midfield and one of our 3 not tracking - the scorer has all the time in the world to waltz on to the ball and pick his spot.

Utterly criminal, and - for all his lack of guile - Gogic would probably have blocked that area off.

monarch
02-01-2021, 09:55 AM

Sky’ll be too obsessed about the bigotfest taking place at midday to bother about accuracy relating to the “diddy” games. Just noticed that they’re allocating 3.5 hours to The Weegie spectacle. Unbelievable, or maybe not. :confused:

Greenio
02-01-2021, 09:58 AM
Tbh we were due a season where we could blame injuries 😂

Hibee Mac
02-01-2021, 10:31 AM
I don't get the narrative that Gogic isn't athletic enough. He's without doubt one of the fittest midfielders at the club and is the only one who will consistently stick tight to his man all game affording no space.

Contrast that to before we bought him when we had Mallan and another in centre mid leaving 2 yards to opposition players all game. Gogic is a great player and one who, imo, should be starting games like Wednesday and today.

The "pushover" stuff comes from a weak midfield not getting tight to their men meaning they can soak up pressure, turn round and waltz into the box on their first attack, Gogic stops that happening.