PDA

View Full Version : We need signings before the LC semi-final...

Scotty Leither
31-12-2020, 01:05 PM
I suspect it'll be a really tight game against a physical team; not unlike the last SF against that mob, who had experienced players to bring off the bench at a vital time in the game.

We cannot go into this game with a similar bench to that game last night, where our options were limited to a laddie up front, and McGinn and Stevenson as the other subs, as I wouldn't be hanging my hat on any of them changing a game.

We've had the fanfare of appointing the new Directors, while I hope they do well for the club in their designated roles, we need some positive news ON the park, & I really hope we get business done early in January as we need it, and Ross really needs to deliver in this game, no more hard luck stories, or " we're a work in progress" etc.

A decent couple of first-picks in midfield and up front are what's required; if that means moving some of the current squad on so be it. Ross really needs to deliver a place in the final this time round.

MWHIBBIES
31-12-2020, 01:17 PM
If the current squad plays to its best, we win. We don't need signings, we need a performance.

easty
31-12-2020, 01:19 PM
We need to turn up motivated. We have by far the best squad left in the cup.

tamig
31-12-2020, 01:25 PM
Our squad is light and injuries are exposing just how thin it is. JR hinted in his interview after the game that we’re hoping to do some business. I’ve never known a transfer window where we’ve never made a signing so its a certainty there will be new arrivals.

To imply that the only way we’ll win the semi is by getting new bodies in is stretching things a bit though. We get a few of the injured boys back fit again and we should be good enough to win that game.

Diclonius
31-12-2020, 01:27 PM
No, we don't. On their day this team would batter St Johnstone, St Mirren or Livingston. They just have to do it.

Scotty Leither
31-12-2020, 01:32 PM
Our squad is light and injuries are exposing just how thin it is. JR hinted in his interview after the game that we’re hoping to do some business. I’ve never known a transfer window where we’ve never made a signing so its a certainty there will be new arrivals.

To imply that the only way we’ll win the semi is by getting new bodies in is stretching things a bit though. We get a few of the injured boys back fit again and we should be good enough to win that game.

Sorry, disagree. We'll give ourselves a better chance in the semi-final if we have a midfield player that has a bit of steel and can hold onto the ball and retain possession.

Gogic has disappointed me in that regard; he can tackle but once he gets the ball he's as likely to cough it up to the opposition as his passing isn't his strong suit.

The team needs a shake-up and Ross needs to shed this pedestrian approach to games at Easter Road. It's infuriating to watch, made worse by the fact we're limited to watching it on TV.

tamig
31-12-2020, 01:38 PM
Sorry, disagree. We'll give ourselves a better chance in the semi-final if we have a midfield player that has a bit of steel and can hold onto the ball and retain possession.

Gogic has disappointed me in that regard; he can tackle but once he gets the ball he's as likely to cough it up to the opposition as his passing isn't his strong suit.

The team needs a shake-up and Ross needs to shed this pedestrian approach to games at Easter Road. It's infuriating to watch, made worse by the fact we're limited to watching it on TV.
Think you’re being a bit unfair on Gogic. An aspect of his game that surprised me was how much ground he covers and he’s not just a win the ball and lay it off type. He can run with the ball too. I think there’s more to be got from Gogic rather than Bartley Mk II.

Of course signing decent new players would give us a better chance. Unfortunately January’s no the best time to do that - although we’ve done ok with loans the past few years. And money is the other issue.

Scotty Leither
31-12-2020, 01:48 PM
Think you’re being a bit unfair on Gogic. An aspect of his game that surprised me was how much ground he covers and he’s not just a win the ball and lay it off type. He can run with the ball too. I think there’s more to be got from Gogic rather than Bartley Mk II.

Of course signing decent new players would give us a better chance. Unfortunately January’s no the best time to do that - although we’ve done ok with loans the past few years. And money is the other issue.

I get that, but the club really has to be more ruthless in player recruitment and transfers/retention of players. Too much sentiment around at Easter Road, for instance we should be loaning out the likes of David Gray to free up a wage.

There's comfortably 5/6 players in the squad contributing very little, either through being bench fillers only to be called on in an emergency and zero to marginal competition for places, which really isn't good enough for a club of our supposed standing.