PDA

View Full Version : 1962/63 season whiteout

hibsbollah
29-12-2020, 10:30 AM
http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/1960-1969/1962/63-a-harsh-winter

With the snowfall we’ve had in Edinburgh overnight, it got me thinking about this piece I read about the 62/63 winter and how the whole Scottish league programme was decimated for 3 months, 8 inches of snow at Tynecastle etc. Some games were played in the cup etc that would never have been given the go ahead today. Does any of our mature posters have any memories of that season and did they attend any games during that period? It must have been some winter:snowman1

H18S NX
29-12-2020, 11:04 AM
I was 11 yrs old at that time and i remember it well,the snow was really deep and it was so cold we could not go anywhere,football was definitely a no go.I got a white leather fillie (football) that was just becoming all the rage then for xmas and i lost it in the snow in my backgreen,happy days.

Bradford
29-12-2020, 01:54 PM
http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/1960-1969/1962/63-a-harsh-winter

With the snowfall we’ve had in Edinburgh overnight, it got me thinking about this piece I read about the 62/63 winter and how the whole Scottish league programme was decimated for 3 months, 8 inches of snow at Tynecastle etc. Some games were played in the cup etc that would never have been given the go ahead today. Does any of our mature posters have any memories of that season and did they attend any games during that period? It must have been some winter:snowman1

I was 11 at the time and it was a very long and freezing winter. We lived in Oxgangs and the buses could not get up the hill so we had to go down to Colinton Mains to get them.

There was a huge backlog of fixtures and we nearly got relegated. I went to a few matches during that season but cannot really remember much about any of them.

Hibernia&Alba
29-12-2020, 02:02 PM
1962/63 was one of the worst two winters of the twentieth century, along with 1947/48. As a wee lad, I remember the winter of 1986/87 being particularly brutal.

ancient hibee
29-12-2020, 02:07 PM
Strangely enough the snowfall seemed normal although obviously heavier than usual but the cold and icy conditions are what I remember most. Even walking to the bus stop seemed dangerous.People were always falling in the streets.Police were also worried about conditions around the grounds when the thaw started.Sitting in front of the fire on a Saturday afternoon seemed a pretty good idea.

SJNB Hibby
29-12-2020, 02:18 PM
I was only 6-7, so not going to games, but we moved from Edinburgh to Gravesend in March. I remember our street in Gravesend was snowbound. There was so little sport on that Grandstand was cancelled a few times and the Beeb just put on films...6 years old watching Quatermass, scared the 4h!t out of me

JohnMcM
29-12-2020, 03:00 PM
Like others, I too was 11 but not yet an attending Hibee. I have a vague memory of the older ones moaning about no football and having their one real outside pleasure denied.

It was fun for us bairns though even if it was freezing and those red rings around your legs from your wellies were painful.:agree:

hibbyfraelibby
29-12-2020, 03:09 PM
It was Baltic that winter. Was P3 if I recall. Snowed a lot, power cuts and I was forced to go to school wearing shorts, blazer, burberry, balaclava (cap on top), mitts on elastic down the sleeves and wellies.

Didn't have social services or childline back then...

Iggy Pope
29-12-2020, 06:03 PM
I was born in February 63 and my mother moaned about it until the day she died.

She had plenty to say about the weather as well.

hibsbollah
30-12-2020, 10:23 AM
I was born in February 63 and my mother moaned about it until the day she died.

She had plenty to say about the weather as well.

:faf: