PDA

View Full Version : Would you accept a Jan bid for Nisbet?

Irish_Steve
29-12-2020, 10:29 AM
On the BBC Sport page, Sheff Utd keeping tabs on Kevin. Now, it comes via the Sun so probably made up but as the title says, would you consider a bid for Kevin? Maybe depends on how much it is

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55473849

Frazerbob
29-12-2020, 10:29 AM
No

where'stheslope
29-12-2020, 10:31 AM
With the current climate with no money coming in, it would seem a good bonus if the price is right???

banchoryhibs
29-12-2020, 10:32 AM
No, too valuable for this season and I think he will only get better. His value will increase.

BILLYHIBS
29-12-2020, 10:35 AM
:wtf:

mayo hibee
29-12-2020, 10:36 AM
Every player has their price, that's the reality.

However, given Nisbet's performances and the length of his contract (and assuming that there is no fee release clause in there) we should be saying no to anything under £5m.

Michael
29-12-2020, 10:38 AM
With the current climate with no money coming in, it would seem a good bonus if the price is right???

Presumably we have budgeted with the assumption we won't need to sell anyone in January, so I don't really see the need.

calumhibee1
As a fan I’d say no, I wouldn’t.

The reality is though that Hibs will consider any and all bids for any and all of our players. How much consideration they’d need to give them would be of course dependant on the deal.

I’d think if we got offered £2m for Nisbet we’d take it.

Since90+2
Depends what the money is. £2 million? No chance. £5 million? Yes.

Since90+2
29-12-2020, 10:40 AM

The reality is though that Hibs will consider any and all bids for any and all of our players. How much consideration they’d need to give them would be of course dependant on the deal.

The club would not accept £2 million for him.

Vault Boy
29-12-2020, 10:41 AM
Depends what the money is. £2 million? No chance. £5 million? Yes.

That's where I am. We hold all the cards here, we don't want to lose our top goalscorer and a great prospect, but everyone has a price. A significant 7 figure sum would be an a massive boost for the club in this climate.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2020, 10:42 AM
We won't sell after 6 months. We've never done that.

Itsnoteasy
Every player has their price, that's the reality.

However, given Nisbet's performances and the length of his contract (and assuming that there is no fee release clause in there) we should be saying no to anything under £5m.

He's nowhere near that value. We never got anywhere near that for SJM

Keith_M
:wtf:

This.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2020, 10:43 AM

Because of the length of his contract, not because of his quality.

J-C
Not ideal because he's been one of our best players but it really depends on how much, things are very different at the moment with Covid and a very good offer will be hard to ignore.

Pagan Hibernia
He’s on a 4 year deal with us. Absolutely no hurry to sell him and the price is only going to go up.

calumhibee1
29-12-2020, 10:44 AM

On the presumption that we didn’t pay more than £500k for him I wouldn’t be surprised if we did. 12 goals and £1.5m profit in 6 months at a time when the club can make next to no money because we can’t sell any tickets for games. £1.5m would probably cover the majority of what we&vr lost in walk up ticket sales this whole season.

We’re also looking very likely for top 4 now and probably would still be that way with or without Nisbet. We’d be tempted I reckon.

Of course I’d hope we’d hold out for more or even better keep him but I certainly think it would get the club thinking.

SiinDubai
29-12-2020, 10:45 AM
With his performances so far this season clubs will continue to look at him. He looks like a great all round player who has shown he can make a step up in standard. Thankfully hibs have him on a long term contract and I would like to see us hold onto Kevin.

Itsnoteasy
29-12-2020, 10:46 AM
Because of the length of his contract, not because of his quality.

Its surely the quality 1st then the length of contract. Would love £5million for him but it ain't gonna happen.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2020, 10:47 AM
Its surely the quality 1st then the length of contract. Would love £5million for him but it ain't gonna happen.

Nope. Length of contract massively dictates fee. Mcginn goes for double if he has 2 years left.

Since452
29-12-2020, 10:53 AM
I'd be wanting 10 million. 5 million with 4 years to go on his contact would be robbery. The EPL clubs could afford it no problem.

Kaff
29-12-2020, 10:55 AM

SJM's performances have upped the value of players from Hibs imo, he's shown there is quality to be had.
This is the biggest problem we have in Scotland, a player performs well for 6 months and, particularly if £2m is acceptable, then big clubs just lift them off you before they can have any time to lay any foundation to their Hibs career.
SJM has been an obvious standout in that regard since he did put in solid years, won significant trophies and stabilised us in the top league. Very rare to see that and shows the character of the man, major point us that it has by no means held back his career so if the club can afford to keep KN then using SJM as a guide to building a career will be very powerful.

My view is that £2m isn't enough but if we get offered £5m we have to take it but straight away we would need to get Ross Stewart from Ross County as a ready made replacement but also find the next young player to invest in with a proportion of the sale

mayo hibee
29-12-2020, 10:56 AM

Length of contract is of huge importance. If his contract was up in 18 months and he was unwilling to sign another one we'd sell him for under 2 million. But it's a long contract so we can definitely hold out for at least twice that amount.

Irish_Steve
29-12-2020, 10:56 AM
Dominic Solanke £19m Liverpool to Bouremouth - 121 career appearances - 20 goals!!

Just shows how nuts the EPL is - don't want Kevin to go but if we get £5m for him, I would take it - may means the difference between having a team to support or not

mayo hibee
29-12-2020, 10:59 AM
I'd be wanting 10 million. 5 million with 4 years to go on his contact would be robbery. The EPL clubs could afford it no problem.

No way we can demand that amount unless he becomes Scotland's main striker while he's here. Clubs are taking a risk buying players from the Scottish Premier, there's no guarantee they will cut it in a better league and plenty of examples of players who have gone down there without success. McGinn is more the exception than the rule.

Pretty Boy
29-12-2020, 11:03 AM
It really depends on what offer comes in. If the Sheffield Utd interest is genuine then it could see a few bids come in.

It's easy to say 'we are building something here' or 'why do we always try to sell off our players as fans' but the reality is that every player has a value and with very, very few exceptions every club is a selling club. If someone offered £1M then Nisbet will still be here in February. £5m and he'd be gone.

Sir David Gray
29-12-2020, 11:09 AM
£3-4 million and I reckon we'll sell.

It's just the reality of the situation unfortunately.

jacomo
29-12-2020, 11:11 AM
No.

NO.

N. O.

Scouse Hibee
29-12-2020, 11:13 AM

Oh I think they would.

bingo70
29-12-2020, 11:15 AM

Correct.

This is our business model now and it’s the right one too in my opinion.

Buy cheap, sell high and reinvest the money into the squad again. Would be disappointing to lose him so soon but we can’t risk him getting injured or losing form.

If we want to use this model successfully then we need to accept we will lose good players regularly, we just need to back ourselves to replace him well. With a hefty transfer fee that should make that job easier.

Keith_M
29-12-2020, 11:15 AM
Oh I think they would.

The panto season is still in full flow.

:greengrin

"Oh no we wouldn't!"

hibIBZ
29-12-2020, 11:19 AM
Yes if the price is right, all our players have a price, if we get the right one then he will be away

Stuart93
29-12-2020, 11:32 AM
Correct.

This is our business model now and it’s the right one too in my opinion.

Buy cheap, sell high and reinvest the money into the squad again. Would be disappointing to lose him so soon but we can’t risk him getting injured or losing form.

If we want to use this model successfully then we need to accept we will lose good players regularly, we just need to back ourselves to replace him well. With a hefty transfer fee that should make that job easier.

It’s the replacing of players we never seem to do

We failed miserably at least attempting to replace mcginn when he left. I get we were never going to find a player as good but we didn’t even get close to the same mould.

I think people are more pissed off with us selling our better players and not replacing them as oppose to actually selling them.

Jones28
29-12-2020, 11:36 AM
Oh I think they would.

No way, short term gain over potential massive long term money? RG is more astute than that.

Since90+2
29-12-2020, 11:36 AM

We failed miserably at least attempting to replace mcginn when he left. I get we were never going to find a player as good but we didn’t even get close to the same mould.

I think people are more pissed off with us selling our better players and not replacing them as oppose to actually selling them.

Newell is in a similar mould to McGinn. He's not as good but then we were never going to get someone as good as McGinn.

bingo70
29-12-2020, 11:37 AM

Definitely, it’s not an easy thing to do, if it was everyone would be doing it.

I do think though that if this is the business model we’ve chosen then we will just need to accept our best players will be sold.

EdinMike
29-12-2020, 11:43 AM
Firstly, how long of a contract to we have him for ?!

Secondly, pfft... sick of English teams ripping us off (Scottish clubs collectively)

15-20m.

EI255
29-12-2020, 11:44 AM
No.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Carheenlea
29-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Every player is for sale and if someone with the cash reserves was to take a chance on a continually developing player with a big bid, or what we in Scotland would class as a big bid, then Hibs would find it hard to turn down. Would need to be upwards of £5M as a starting point.

Beefster
29-12-2020, 11:46 AM
Firstly, how long of a contract to we have him for ?!

Secondly, pfft... sick of English teams ripping us off (Scottish clubs collectively)

15-20m.

We’re never going to get that money for an uncapped player who has only really 6 months experience in the top league. Celtic would be lucky to get that for a striker who is capped by a big nation and has lots of Champions League experience.

FWIW, we shouldn’t be considering selling him in January unless it’s a silly offer (~£5m) but we won’t get a silly offer.

wookie70
29-12-2020, 11:47 AM
I would hope we would trust Nisbet to keep improving and to interest more clubs and at a bigger price in the future. We hold the cards given the length of his contract and we also have a potential pay day with the way SJM is playing for Villa

Lee Marvin
29-12-2020, 11:47 AM

Absolutely no chance, unless there was some 12 month loan back. Even then, anything less than £6m is absolute robbery..

HH81
29-12-2020, 11:49 AM
Villa got a bargin. The world now knows players smash that level in Scotland.

10 million Wilder.

Brightside
29-12-2020, 11:52 AM
If we got a 4m bid he’d be away. We are a tiny club in reality and cannot afford to turn down £4m for any player.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2020, 11:53 AM
Villa got a bargin. The world now knows players smash that level in Scotland.

10 million Wilder.

I think the world knew it when they saw Van Dijk

BoomtownHibees
29-12-2020, 11:56 AM
Newell is in a similar mould to McGinn. He's not as good but then we were never going to get someone as good as McGinn.

I don’t see many similarities between Mcginn and Newell

Hibernia&Alba
29-12-2020, 11:57 AM
You would certainly hope we will keep him. It depends on any serious bids and how much for. If any offer should be too good to refuse, it wouldn't be.

Sir David Gray
29-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Absolutely no chance, unless there was some 12 month loan back. Even then, anything less than £6m is absolute robbery..

We would definitely sell him for less than £6 million.

We're just not in a position to turn down bids of £3-4 million, particularly at the moment.

Since90+2
29-12-2020, 11:59 AM
I don’t see many similarities between Mcginn and Newell

Both left sided midfielders who can be combative when they need to but also have quality on the ball, do work in attacking and defensive areas, the team are reliant on them for drive.

Newell is not as good as John McGinn but he's not a million miles away from him in terms of his style of play.

Ronniekirk
29-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Absolutely not He is just in the door and they will offer Buttons no doubt
His stock and price will o ly rise as he develops more
Thankfully he wants to be here so don’t see him pushing fir a move this window
Club need to think mid term and not just sell our best asserts to first bidder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiolex1
29-12-2020, 12:09 PM
Does Nisbet have a release clause in his contract for a certain amount? What is Dunfermline sell on %.
We may not get as much as we think, unless a bidding war starts for his signature

J-C
29-12-2020, 12:11 PM

If it was the length of contract then Gray and McGregor would be worth hundreds of thousand, player quality has to be the 1st thing obviously the length of contract is important but teams will stay pay the money if a genuine quality player has just a year left.

Since90+2
29-12-2020, 12:13 PM
Does Nisbet have a release clause in his contract for a certain amount? What is Dunfermline sell on %.
We may not get as much as we think, unless a bidding war starts for his signature

You are automatically assuming Dunfermline have a sell on clause. We don't know they do.

Onion
29-12-2020, 12:13 PM
Nisbet is only going to get better. No way should we be selling him in Jan - after just 6 months in a Hibs strip. Unless he pushes for a move, we should hold firm and drive his price up.

Since90+2
29-12-2020, 12:16 PM
Nisbet is only going to get better. No way should we be selling him in Jan - after just 6 months in a Hibs strip. Unless he pushes for a move, we should hold firm and drive his price up.

I think it's a difficult balancing act for the club. Say they turn down a bid of 3.5 million and then a month later he breaks his achilles and is never the same.

The positives though are that he is on a long term contract and Ron Gordon seems to be managing the club well.

I'm sure whatever happens in the next 12 months with Kevin will be to the benefit of the club.

Itsnoteasy
29-12-2020, 12:17 PM
If it was the length of contract then Gray and McGregor would be worth hundreds of thousand, player quality has to be the 1st thing obviously the length of contract is important but teams will stay pay the money if a genuine quality player has just a year left.

Exactly.

EI255
29-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Every player is for sale and if someone with the cash reserves was to take a chance on a continually developing player with a big bid, or what we in Scotland would class as a big bid, then Hibs would find it hard to turn down. Would need to be upwards of £5M as a starting point.We might want it, but we wouldn't get £5m for him. Unfortunately, in the current climate, any offer would be difficult for the board to turn down.

Northernhibee
29-12-2020, 12:25 PM
Irrelevant of how good a player is or how long is on the contract, we're never going to get much more than £4-5m for a player. If we get offered that - particularly if we could keep him to the end of the season on a loan back - we'll accept it 100%.

Onion
29-12-2020, 12:26 PM
I think it's a difficult balancing act for the club. Say they turn down a bid of 3.5 million and then a month later he breaks his achilles and is never the same.

The positives though are that he is on a long term contract and Ron Gordon seems to be managing the club well.

I'm sure whatever happens in the next 12 months with Kevin will be to the benefit of the club.

Given the wages Hibs pay, anyone offering £3.5M will be sold in a heartbeat, and rightly so.

Have assumed the likes of SUFc will lowball us as we're a poor backwater club from Jockland, and AVFC have shown what you can get up here for pocket change.

WhileTheChief..
29-12-2020, 12:28 PM
He doesn’t seem the type to just go chasing the money.

Other than a significant a bump in wages, what does he gain?

Half a season of getting skelped each week in the EPL then being stuck in a struggling Championship team for 3 years?

Nah, he’ll stick with us and be playing in Europe for a couple of seasons and establishing himself in the Scotland setup.

Seveno
29-12-2020, 12:29 PM
A young player that should get better, on a long contract and a striker, which attracts a premium.

I would want in the region of £10m.

Greenbeard
29-12-2020, 12:32 PM
The panto season is still in full flow.

:greengrin

"Oh no we wouldn't!"
£2m is Buttons. Sort of bid you'd expect from The Ugly Sisters.

Phil MaGlass
29-12-2020, 12:33 PM
NO. We have the makings of a good team with players starting to peak and come onto a game. We need to hold onto most of what we have. Newell, Marciano, Nisbet just to name a few could also make us a few quid in the future abd we really need to hold onto them.Nisbet will go for a packet, but not at the moment.

Northernhibee
29-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Other than a significant a bump in wages, what does he gain?

Bit like being in a car and saying "other than hugely increasing my safety, what does wearing this seatbelt gain me?".

If Kevin Nisbet is offered a significant bump in wages then he'll be off. If it was for the sake of a few hundred quid a week then I don't think he'd move, but he's moved two times in three years (IIRC) and he'd move again if he doubled or tripled his salary, absolutely no question.

bingo70
29-12-2020, 12:49 PM
Bit like being in a car and saying "other than hugely increasing my safety, what does wearing this seatbelt gain me?".

If Kevin Nisbet is offered a significant bump in wages then he'll be off. If it was for the sake of a few hundred quid a week then I don't think he'd move, but he's moved two times in three years (IIRC) and he'd move again if he doubled or tripled his salary, absolutely no question.

It’s also a higher profile league. You’re not talking about him earning a few extra quid for going to some league thousands of miles away where he’ll never be heard of again.

The idea he would turn down significant money to move down south is nuts, he would be off there in a shot and quite rightly so.

hibeedonald
29-12-2020, 01:11 PM
Although he's scoring goals i still don't think we've seen anywhere near his potential. He's missed a lot of easy chances and still has inconsistent performances. I think he might go on to become a club record transfer fee if he continues to develop.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Good news to see that our players are making the right headlines and catching the eyes of bigger stages.

Scouse Hibee
29-12-2020, 01:40 PM
No way, short term gain over potential massive long term money? RG is more astute than that.

The figures being quoted that we would accept are hilarious, if someone came came in tomorrow with a £2m bid it would be accepted.

18Craig75
29-12-2020, 01:43 PM
We whinge about outsiders under valuing the Scottish game and our players; yet some on here would accept 2 million for one of the hottest prospects in Scotland who’s on a 4 year deal.

As much as I dislike Aberdeen they had the right idea with McKenna, it’s time all of Scottish football did the same.

As someone else mentioned, with John McGinn performing the way he is it’s easy for us to say to any Nisbet suitors “we procedure ready made championship/premiership players ala McGinn, so we want Championship/Premiership money”.

Just_Jimmy
29-12-2020, 01:50 PM
4mill is still our record sale.

anything north of 2 mill will see him gone.

he's going no where as it's just paper talk, he's not even capped yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

bingo70
29-12-2020, 02:00 PM
The figures being quoted that we would accept are hilarious, if someone came came in tomorrow with a £2m bid it would be accepted.

Correct.

Future add ons are probably as important as the initial fee now.

Dalianwanda
29-12-2020, 02:02 PM
No one knows what we would accept for him but i don’t see the point in a long contract but selling after 6mnths for something as low as £2mil. Without knowing our financial state ive no idea what would be hard to turn down hopefully more than most are guessing on here.

calumhibee1
29-12-2020, 02:05 PM
We whinge about outsiders under valuing the Scottish game and our players; yet some on here would accept 2 million for one of the hottest prospects in Scotland who’s on a 4 year deal.

As much as I dislike Aberdeen they had the right idea with McKenna, it’s time all of Scottish football did the same.

As someone else mentioned, with John McGinn performing the way he is it’s easy for us to say to any Nisbet suitors “we procedure ready made championship/premiership players ala McGinn, so we want Championship/Premiership money”.

It’s not that people on here would accept it. It’s that we suspect Hibs would accept it. There’s a big difference. I don’t care about the financial side of things, so I’d rather we just didn’t accept any bids.

Hibs could say to all they like that they want Premiership fees. These teams would just walk away if we declared we wanted Championship/Premiership striker fees for Scottish Premiership players.

Oli McBurnie cost £25m. Hibs can’t turn round and ask for that because Nisbet is also going to the Premiership if he goes to SU regardless of the fact he’s a better player.

If we received a bid of £2m upfront I’d be very surprised if Hibs didn’t look at the fact they’d have made their money multiply by 4 or 5 times on their investment in 6 months whilst also getting a lot of goals out him in that time and cash in. Especially with the current situation.

Sir David Gray
29-12-2020, 02:20 PM

I'd like to think that we would go a bit higher than £2 million but the idea that we would hold out for anything like £10 million is fantasy stuff.

We would accept far less than that in normal times never mind during a pandemic when we have been starved of a significant amount of our income for the best part of a year.

Leitherhibs
29-12-2020, 02:23 PM
Folk on this thread saying anything north of 2mil and he's gone are part of the problem with Scottish football IMO, us the punters (and the media) hopelessly under sell the game, if Nisbet with all that time on his contract and potential he's demonstrated over the last 2.5 years should be comfortably generating a record sale for Hibs, not a paltry 2mil.

hibsmad
29-12-2020, 02:26 PM

I'm not in the "he's worth 10 mil camp", however I don't think there's any chance we'd accept a bid of 2.

This time next year I fully expect him to be a Scottish International and to have continued to bang in the goals for us. With 4 years on his contract we don't need to worry about that running out.

If we did entertain a bid of 2 mil then I'd be very disappointed and would consider it incredibly short sighted.

Northernhibee
29-12-2020, 02:27 PM
Folk on this thread saying anything north of 2mil and he's gone are part of the problem with Scottish football IMO, us the punters (and the media) hopelessly under sell the game, if Nisbet with all that time on his contract and potential he's demonstrated over the last 2.5 years should be comfortably generating a record sale for Hibs, not a paltry 2mil.
I hate to break it to you but I have no decision on bids made or accepted so I can’t be part of the problem. Truth be told I’m nothing to do with either club.

Times are tough, we’re in a league that has next to no money in it and hasn’t been sold well by the SFA and a £2-3m bid is a lot in this league with not much TV money to fall back on if we reject it. Not palatable as a fact but a fact none the less.

O'Rourke3
29-12-2020, 02:28 PM
Maybe Aberdeen will offer to sell them Cosgrove for less :dunno:

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Brightside
29-12-2020, 02:30 PM

Economics aren’t driven by people on a message board. Hibs are a business. A business that cannot afford to knock back a £4m bid.

calumhibee1
29-12-2020, 02:31 PM

Trust me, if we all sat here and said we wouldn’t accept less than £5m it would have no impact on what Hibs would actually accept. So nobody on here is ‘part of the problem’ for suggesting we’d probably look upon a 4 or 5 times return on our investment over a 6 month period whilst also getting a good few goals out him as well. We’ve all just seen the story unfold enough times to know we aren’t getting a fee of £5m+ unless he becomes absolutely unplayable in Scotland.

WhileTheChief..
29-12-2020, 02:36 PM

Or he might want to stay put, develop and get a move to better club in a year or two?

Not sure how you can be so definite in your answer. Plenty of players wait for the right move, not the first one on the table.

hibbysam
29-12-2020, 02:41 PM
There’s no chance he goes anywhere in January. Our model is to buy, nurture and sell. However, we have to sell when the time is right. Not before a semi final we have a huge chance in, not before he inevitably gets his Scotland call ups, not before he fires us to third place and a European group stage. His value is only going North. Gone are the days we just accept bids for the sake of it. £3/4m is nowhere near his value with 3 and a half years left on his deal, with Dunfermline due a chunk I’d imagine.

MyJo
29-12-2020, 02:50 PM
Nah.

By the end of this season he could be the top scoring striker in the premiership having helped us qualify for europe, a League cup winner and possibly in the scotland squad going to the euro's in the summer.

If all of that transpires his value will have increased dramatically. I would ideally like to see him stick around for another season, at least, after that but he would be worth £5m+ by the summer compared to £2m just now.

AgentDaleCooper
29-12-2020, 03:06 PM
This would be the death of his career IMO

Northernhibee
29-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Or he might want to stay put, develop and get a move to better club in a year or two?

Not sure how you can be so definite in your answer. Plenty of players wait for the right move, not the first one on the table.

He could get a move to a better club and potentially treble his salary within six months. You could count the players in the world who wouldn't take that up on your hands quite probably. Even Lewis Stevenson or Darren McGregor would be booking their Megabus and removal van if that was put in front of them.

hibeemikey21
29-12-2020, 03:15 PM

As could a bad challenge v Ross County. If premiership wages are offered to him, he will go for sure.

Re this thread, I’m baffled by the amount of people convinced we would sell for £2 million. If he was approaching in the final 18 months of his contract, maybe. Anything under £4 million at this stage would be weak and short sighted on our part.

If he maintains his form, there will be plenty after him in the summer. He’s not just a “good” player who has hit a purple patch. You can tell there’s something special about him. No disrespect to doidge, but when he was on a similar scoring run, you knew that was what it was; a good player hitting form.

Nisbet can kick on a level or two higher than Hibs; that much is obvious.

Booked4Being-Ugly
29-12-2020, 03:17 PM
Would be good to think that if we were to sell him for serious money it would be re-invested back into the team.

We don’t need to and shouldn’t sell him in this window. We’ve a good chance of winning a cup and can’t afford to throw it away IMO.

marinello59
29-12-2020, 03:19 PM
On the BBC Sport page, Sheff Utd keeping tabs on Kevin. Now, it comes via the Sun so probably made up but as the title says, would you consider a bid for Kevin? Maybe depends on how much it is

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55473849

It won’t happen and it shouldn’t happen.

Eyrie
29-12-2020, 03:22 PM
My personal answer depends on the fee involved. I hang up if it's £1m, and drive him there myself if it's £10m.

If I'm Hibs, then I'm wanting a fee that will not only cover our losses for the current lockdown but also provide sufficient funds for a high quality replacement so I want Mathie to tell me who we could get and for how much. Then I decide if the figure being offered is enough.

lord bunberry
29-12-2020, 03:23 PM
He could get a move to a better club and potentially treble his salary within six months. You could count the players in the world who wouldn't take that up on your hands quite probably. Even Lewis Stevenson or Darren McGregor would be booking their Megabus and removal van if that was put in front of them.
It’s not as cut and dry as that in this case though. Nisbet will fancy his chances of getting into the Scotland squad for the Euros, he would be taking a risk that he doesn’t walk into his new team. From hibs point of view it would be better for us to hold onto him and hope he does get into that squad and scores in the tournament. It would be short sighted of the club and the player to make the move this early.

hibbydog
29-12-2020, 03:26 PM

Equally, a bad tackle in tomorrow’s game could also be the death of his career.

I’d 100% want to go if I was him. Say a 4 year contract on something like £10K a week will see him more than set for life.

As much as it pains me to say it, the top priority for any young footballer is to win a big contract. End of.

jacomo
29-12-2020, 04:17 PM
Irrelevant of how good a player is or how long is on the contract, we're never going to get much more than £4-5m for a player. If we get offered that - particularly if we could keep him to the end of the season on a loan back - we'll accept it 100%.

We got £4.5m for Scott Brown more than a decade ago. Since then the top of the market has rocketed in value.

I don’t see why we can never aspire to beating that figure?

Since90+2
29-12-2020, 04:18 PM
We got £4.5m for Scott Brown more than a decade ago. Since then the top of the market has rocketed in value.

Exactly.

Craig Gordon went for £9 million but it's fantasy for us to think we can get more than £4-£5 million for a player? Not sure how that works.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2020, 04:22 PM
Exactly.

Craig Gordon went for £9 million but it's fantasy for us to think we can get more than £4-£5 million for a player? Not sure how that works.

Hibs are living proof that strikers are much easier to find than goalies.

Since90+2
29-12-2020, 04:25 PM
Hibs are living proof that strikers are much easier to find than goalies.

Yet goal scoring forwards tend to attract higher transfer fees. Which is what this discussion is about.

Northernhibee
29-12-2020, 04:30 PM

Not in Scotland. There was much more money in the game a decade ago, and the fact that someone had to look as far back as Craig Gordon to argue a point proves that. We’re also in a pandemic where no fans are allowed in stadia and revenue has plummeted as a result.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2020, 04:32 PM
Yet goal scoring forwards tend to attract higher transfer fees. Which is what this discussion is about.

Well yes. But I think its hard to compare him to Gordon. He was, injuries aside, going to be a quality keeper at that level for years. He had more experience, in a better league and had caps. Nisbet is as of right now more of a risk for teams. I think 4/5 million would be accepted but I really do not think he is leaving this window. He'll be away at the end of next season.

Jim44
29-12-2020, 04:39 PM
If he went in January, a fair bit of the money would have to be spent immediately on one or preferably two, ready to go, top class ( at least BT Scottish standards) strikers. If he was hurriedly replaced by one or two mediocre loanees, I would be against it. I don’t think it will happen, anyway.

bingo70
29-12-2020, 04:52 PM
Exactly.

Whether we like it or not, clubs know they don’t need to offer anything like that tk get him.

Rightly or wrongly, £2m plus add ons will be enough imo.

I suspect if someone does offer for him it will be trying to bank on us struggling financially and will be a derisory offer of a few hundred thousand.

Since90+2
29-12-2020, 04:54 PM
Not in Scotland. There was much more money in the game a decade ago, and the fact that someone had to look as far back as Craig Gordon to argue a point proves that. We’re also in a pandemic where no fans are allowed in stadia and revenue has plummeted as a result.

You could also argue Kieren Tierney went for double what Virgil Van Dijk did.

JimBHibees
29-12-2020, 04:56 PM
Would not consider any offer.

Magpie
29-12-2020, 04:58 PM
If we sold him for say £4m, do you think we would break our transfer record for a replacement?

Gerard
29-12-2020, 05:18 PM
If our club is given a very good offer that will help our club survive and prosper during this period of great financial uncertainty I would say yes. All football clubs sell players when they are offered deals that are good for them. Our club and many others are going through tough times due to limited money coming into the club. Season tickets will be soon sold for season 2021-22 and I have no idea how many people will renew thier STs. The fans have been very generous in helping the club this year given the financial situation that many may be facing. HSL has also been a very useful way of donating money to the club. I estimate in the last year over 250,000 pounds donated to the club. :wink:This might encourage other people to do likewise:wink:.

IWasThere2016
29-12-2020, 05:44 PM

Nisbet deal with Pars is very similar to SJM one with StM

Since90+2
29-12-2020, 05:52 PM
Nisbet deal with Pars is very similar to SJM one with StM

I'm guessing you must know someone senior at either Hibs or Dunfermline to know that?

EI255
29-12-2020, 05:55 PM
No disrespect to KN, but Sheffield Utd will require a name and a presence MUCH bigger than Kev, if they have dreams of staying up.

CropleyWasGod
29-12-2020, 05:56 PM
If we sold him for say £4m, do you think we would break our transfer record for a replacement?

Nah. Diego Costa is available for free.

Magpie
29-12-2020, 06:03 PM
Nah. Diego Costa is available for free.

Costa, Giroud or Aguero in the summer I’m not fussy.

Northernhibee
29-12-2020, 06:10 PM
You could also argue Kieren Tierney went for double what Virgil Van Dijk did.

From Celtic, who are in a position incompatible to ours in terms of current continental reputation and finances.

I’m just saying - be prepared for disappointment given the financial situation just now IMO.

bingo70
29-12-2020, 06:11 PM
No disrespect to KN, but Sheffield Utd will require a name and a presence MUCH bigger than Kev, if they have dreams of staying up.

I think that ship has sailed for Sheffield United this season and it’ll all be about planning for next season.

Northernhibee
29-12-2020, 06:27 PM
To those who are either saying no way/nothing less than £10m etc, if the club were to accept, say, £4m plus add ons but were to sign a replacement who is of good Scottish Premiership standard and also demonstrate how the additional money has helped keep some of the non-playing staff on the payroll in these difficult times, would it change the way you would feel about us accepting a potential bid for Nisbet?

WhileTheChief..
29-12-2020, 06:28 PM

Agreed.

My point was about moving to Sheffield Utd. He will be able to do better than that.

Since90+2
29-12-2020, 06:29 PM
Agreed.

My point was about moving to Sheffield Utd. He will be able to do better than that.

Sheffield United are a big club who will have spent atleast 2 seasons in the Premier League and will have a big parachute payment.

Very few Scottish players outside the old firm sign directly for Premier League teams in England.

bingo70
29-12-2020, 06:34 PM
To those who are either saying no way/nothing less than £10m etc, if the club were to accept, say, £4m plus add ons but were to sign a replacement who is of good Scottish Premiership standard and also demonstrate how the additional money has helped keep some of the non-playing staff on the payroll in these difficult times, would it change the way you would feel about us accepting a potential bid for Nisbet?

On a similar note. Everyone that is saying absolutely no way, I hope they are prepared to keep losing out on players to Aberdeen and will happily accept it when Newell moves on as we can’t afford to keep him.

If we want to spend money, we need to make it. Doing well in the cups is great but with no fans it will limit how much we’ll make from these cup runs.

greenlex
29-12-2020, 06:37 PM
If it’s the right bid for both club and player then yes . Absolutely. I think from a personal development point of view Nisbet is at least another year away from a step up. I get the feeling if he went next month down south he would be back inside a year or so like dozens of players before.

Sammy7nil
29-12-2020, 06:38 PM

Goal scorers normally attract higher fees unless you are Pogba.

However after McBurnie and Burke I would be amazed if Sheff Utd ploughed in a lot of money on a third Scottish striker.

WhileTheChief..
29-12-2020, 06:38 PM
Sheffield United are a big club who will have spent atleast 2 seasons in the Premier League and will have a big parachute payment.

Very few Scottish players outside the old firm sign directly for Premier League teams in England.

Just doesn’t seem an attractive option, maybe you’re right, but I doubt he’ll end up there.

I’m pretty sure he’ll still be with us this time next year.

Speedy
29-12-2020, 06:57 PM

Totally agree

Speedy
29-12-2020, 07:01 PM
Economics aren’t driven by people on a message board. Hibs are a business. A business that cannot afford to knock back a £4m bid.

Of course we can afford it. If nobody bids anything we've keep him and carry on as is, therefore we don't need the money.

Scottish football needs to dig its heels in a bit. Sheffield United are fighting to stay up to get hundreds of millions. If they think Nisbet can genuinely help them acheieve that then it'll not much difference to them whether it’s £4m or £7m they pay for the privilege

Hibiza
29-12-2020, 07:26 PM
Money talks.

Hibiza
29-12-2020, 07:31 PM
Sell and bring Leigh back .

SonOfDavidFrancey
29-12-2020, 07:31 PM
Tony cascarino described SJM fee as the ‘bargain of the decade’ in The Times today

hibbysam
29-12-2020, 07:47 PM
On a similar note. Everyone that is saying absolutely no way, I hope they are prepared to keep losing out on players to Aberdeen and will happily accept it when Newell moves on as we can’t afford to keep him.

If we want to spend money, we need to make it. Doing well in the cups is great but with no fans it will limit how much we’ll make from these cup runs.

Accepting £2m and losing a fair chunk of it to Dunfermline when his value is only going to increase would make no economic sense.

We want to buy players young, improve them and sell them on, absolutely, but doing this in January, would then mean trying to find a young and upcoming striker to hit the ground running, or throw those values away and go down the route of an experienced player who won’t have a sell on value.

No idea why not selling Nisbet for an offer way below what we should expect for him would mean not competing with Aberdeen for players or losing Joe Newell, I never knew the two came hand in hand.

bingo70
29-12-2020, 07:52 PM
Accepting £2m and losing a fair chunk of it to Dunfermline when his value is only going to increase would make no economic sense.

We want to buy players young, improve them and sell them on, absolutely, but doing this in January, would then mean trying to find a young and upcoming striker to hit the ground running, or throw those values away and go down the route of an experienced player who won’t have a sell on value.

No idea why not selling Nisbet for an offer way below what we should expect for him would mean not competing with Aberdeen for players or losing Joe Newell, I never knew the two came hand in hand.

Where else are we going to generate the funds needed for these things if it’s not selling players?

lucky
29-12-2020, 08:01 PM
It’s impossible to answer the OP question as surely it depends on how much Hibs got offered. If it’s a £5m-£10m then we’d all sell if it was £750k then the answer is no. Every player has their value and Nesbit is no different but does anyone really believe going to Sheffield United is going to improve him as a player? A rank rotten EPL side that creates zero chances, he would do well to ignore them and see what’s available in the future.

Highwayman
29-12-2020, 08:02 PM
Where else are we going to generate the funds needed for these things if it’s not selling players?

I don’t think Sheffield United would make an offer Hibs couldn’t refuse.Any deal would have to be Hibs getting all the cash and Dunfermline getting McBurnie and Burke.Everybody happy.

Duke of Currie
29-12-2020, 08:08 PM
With Nisbets current form , he is likely to be involved in the Scotland squad , possibly squeezing into the Euro's squad or a run out against teams like the Faroes , either way it increases his profile and value. Fingers crossed Hibs qualify for Europe , this does the same and it is likely this raises his value.
If Dykes , who in my opinion is a more limited type of striker than Nisbet , can go for 2 million with a no more impressive scoring record for Livingston , no European football and without getting into a Scotland squad , then think if there were any bids Hibs would put a very large fee on it to either deter any bidders or take the offer as if someone was daft enough to pay it then take the money.

calumhibee1
29-12-2020, 08:14 PM

Alternatively, accepting £2m if we’re strapped for cash due to the current covid situation makes perfect economic sense - not that I’m saying we are btw.

We put maybe £500k or so in the summer and have potentially multiplied it by 4 times whilst also getting to enjoy him for half a season.

In normal circumstances I’d agree, it doesn’t make sense to sell him for £2m. These aren’t normal circumstances though and Hibs may feel it’s a chance to make a good chunk of money at a difficult time very, very quickly.

Jamesie
29-12-2020, 08:19 PM

We’ve also never been in the midst of a pandemic with no immediate indication as to the end game. As much as I would rather it not be the case, it would be a dereliction of the Board’s duties not to at least give consideration to any bid received (as, to be fair, would always be the case, pandemic or not)

Jamesie
29-12-2020, 08:21 PM
If our club is given a very good offer that will help our club survive and prosper during this period of great financial uncertainty I would say yes. All football clubs sell players when they are offered deals that are good for them. Our club and many others are going through tough times due to limited money coming into the club. Season tickets will be soon sold for season 2021-22 and I have no idea how many people will renew thier STs. The fans have been very generous in helping the club this year given the financial situation that many may be facing. HSL has also been a very useful way of donating money to the club. I estimate in the last year over 250,000 pounds donated to the club. :wink:This might encourage other people to do likewise:wink:.

That is the key there for me Gerard. Fiscal pipeline is far from certain and the board will properly be planning and war gaming the worst case scenarios for 2021-22 in that regard. A reasonable fee for Nisbet would help cushion that.

calumhibee1
29-12-2020, 08:24 PM
That is the key there for me Gerard. Fiscal pipeline is far from certain and the board will properly be planning and war gaming the worst case scenarios for 2021-22 in that regard. A reasonable fee for Nisbet would help cushion that.

Yup. We could potentially be looking at another season next season with no walk ups and a massive reduction in STs.

The board will 100% be considering any bid and whether it’s worth accepting a bid now to safeguard the club, something which in normal circumstances doesn’t have to feature so heavily in their thinking. They may not feel they have a choice to wait until after the Euros etc.

hibbysam
29-12-2020, 08:32 PM
Alternatively, accepting £2m if we’re strapped for cash due to the current covid situation makes perfect economic sense - not that I’m saying we are btw.

We put maybe £500k or so in the summer and have potentially multiplied it by 4 times whilst also getting to enjoy him for half a season.

In normal circumstances I’d agree, it doesn’t make sense to sell him for £2m. These aren’t normal circumstances though and Hibs may feel it’s a chance to make a good chunk of money at a difficult time very, very quickly.

We aren’t, and we won’t be, strapped for cash. Put it this way, Hibs knew our revenues were taking a huge hit this season, there is no way we’d have spent fees on multiple players if it was going to mean financial hardship.

Ron has created the means to lend money to the club if need be. We also have an option for a couple of million loan from the government now. Taking £2m when we’d have to give a large chunk to Dunfermline wouldn’t make any sense, especially as Nisbet’s value is only going to rise. Of course there is a line, but Premiership and top end Championship clubs will be able to spend far more than that on a top quality goalscorer.

basehibby
29-12-2020, 08:32 PM
I would hope at this point Hibs would slap a NOT FOR SALE sign on Kev - he's only just in the door FFS!

NB - selling one of our prize assets at this stage would reek of ZERO ambition and possibly stir revolt among some ST holders who want to see success on the football pitch for their investment.

bingo70
29-12-2020, 08:33 PM
I would hope at this point Hibs would slap a NOT FOR SALE sign on Kev - he's only just in the door FFS!

Every player in the world is for sale, regardless of what sign we slap on him.

hibbysam
29-12-2020, 08:33 PM

Winning the league cup for starters, finishing third and guaranteeing group stage qualification in Europe, showing ambition to maximise season ticket sales again.

bingo70
29-12-2020, 08:35 PM
Winning the league cup for starters, finishing third and guaranteeing group stage qualification in Europe, showing ambition to maximise season ticket sales again.

I’m not sure how much winning the league cup is worth with no fans in the ground?

Would finishing third in the league guarantee group stages in Europe?

Andy74
29-12-2020, 08:35 PM
We aren’t, and we won’t be, strapped for cash. Put it this way, Hibs knew our revenues were taking a huge hit this season, there is no way we’d have spent fees on multiple players if it was going to mean financial hardship.

Ron has created the means to lend money to the club if need be. We also have an option for a couple of million loan from the government now. Taking £2m when we’d have to give a large chunk to Dunfermline wouldn’t make any sense, especially as Nisbet’s value is only going to rise. Of course there is a line, but Premiership and top end Championship clubs will be able to spend far more than that on a top quality goalscorer.

I agree with what you say but where did this chunk to Dunfermline come from?

After McGinn I’d be very surprised if we’ve been agreeing to sell ons rather than pay the extra £100k or so up front.

basehibby
29-12-2020, 08:49 PM
Every player in the world is for sale, regardless of what sign we slap on him.

If I'm not mistaken Kevin is under contract to Hibs for the next 3 and a half years - ergo we don't need to listen to offers.

ancient hibee
29-12-2020, 09:07 PM
I’m not sure how much winning the league cup is worth with no fans in the ground?

Winner of the league cup gets £300K.

hibbysam
29-12-2020, 09:14 PM
I agree with what you say but where did this chunk to Dunfermline come from?

After McGinn I’d be very surprised if we’ve been agreeing to sell ons rather than pay the extra £100k or so up front.

We got him even cheaper than we would’ve due to Covid, it’s a near on certainty that there will be a sell on included. Clubs will be looking at McGinn and realising that the biggest potential for them to make money from us is through sell ons.

hibbysam
29-12-2020, 09:16 PM

£300k prize money plus merchandise, a boost from season tickets, probably a TV appearance money as well.

As long as Rangers Celtic or us won the Scottish cup, fairly probable.

ancient hibee
29-12-2020, 09:16 PM
We got him even cheaper than we would’ve due to Covid, it’s a near on certainty that there will be a sell on included. Clubs will be looking at McGinn and realising that the biggest potential for them to make money from us is through sell ons.

Not if they need the readies right away it's not.

hibbysam
29-12-2020, 09:18 PM
Not if they need the readies right away it's not.

Then they would have held out for the full amount, as we weren’t the only club interested in him.

Sir David Gray
29-12-2020, 09:22 PM

No.

It officially gets us into the 2nd qualifying round of the Europa Conference League.

We would need to negotiate three rounds to get to the group stages.

However I think if we finish 3rd and then 1st, 2nd or 4th win the Scottish Cup then we would go into the play offs of the Europa League and if we won we would go into the group stage of the Europa League and if we lost we would drop into the group stage of the Europa Conference League.

Andy74
29-12-2020, 09:25 PM
Then they would have held out for the full amount, as we weren’t the only club interested in him.

What was the ‘full amount’ though?

We’ve had to hand St Mirren much more for McGinn than they would have been looking for at the time. I’d imagine now we’d be more inclined to pay a little more up front.

hibbysam
29-12-2020, 09:48 PM
What was the ‘full amount’ though?

We’ve had to hand St Mirren much more for McGinn than they would have been looking for at the time. I’d imagine now we’d be more inclined to pay a little more up front.

The full amount would have been what we had offered them last January. We would have been, until this year where our funds were affected. We couldn’t have afforded to pay that. We have, but again, we probably wouldn’t have got McGinn without that. Sometimes they are the hits you have to take for long term gain. We’ll profit massively out of both players due to the deals we are able to strike, even if it means losing a chunk of it (I’ve no doubt it won’t be anywhere near the 33% St Mirren have, probably around 15/20%).

Greenworld
29-12-2020, 09:52 PM
Yes i would and john mcginn transfer will have done hibs no harm at all when it comes to fees.
What would he be worth no idea but 2 or 3 million would be bite there hands of time .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Ronniekirk
29-12-2020, 09:57 PM
148 pages and Jack Ross has now dismissed it so let’s put this one to Bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedy
29-12-2020, 11:01 PM

What we paid for him is totally irrelevant.

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 08:27 AM

What if we didn’t expect this to go on so long? What if fans aren’t in at all this season and we sell 5k season tickets next year because people can’t justify buying 4 season tickets for their family to watch on tv when 1 would do the same job? Me and my family spend £1500 or whatever it is for 3 season tickets when we could just spend £500 next year and sit and watch it together every week.

If this went on 3 years would we still be alright because we weren’t strapped for cash when we bought Nisbet?

There’s far too many variables at play in such an unprecedented time to be able to just point blank refuse to believe we might be, or will be in future, toiling for cash.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think £2m would be a great deal, but there’s not a chance in hell Hibs wouldn’t consider it when it would represent a very large return on our investment in such a short period at a time when our income has taken a hammering. Any club in the world who could make 4 or 5 times what they’ve spent on a player in a 6 month period would be considering it, not just Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
30-12-2020, 08:41 AM
Hibs model is to buy low and then sell for the best price we can get at the optimum time . We are nowhere near that time yet.

Percy Vere
30-12-2020, 09:06 AM
Hibs model is to buy low and then sell for the best price we can get at the optimum time . We are nowhere near that time yet.

Exactly
Makes no sense unless it was a silly offer.
Sheffield Utd are sniffing about for cheap options as they’ve blown their big money on players who are not producing.
Keep Kev
The right time, right team and right money will come along in due course.

hibbysam
30-12-2020, 09:16 AM
What if we didn’t expect this to go on so long? What if fans aren’t in at all this season and we sell 5k season tickets next year because people can’t justify buying 4 season tickets for their family to watch on tv when 1 would do the same job? Me and my family spend £1500 or whatever it is for 3 season tickets when we could just spend £500 next year and sit and watch it together every week.

If this went on 3 years would we still be alright because we weren’t strapped for cash when we bought Nisbet?

There’s far too many variables at play in such an unprecedented time to be able to just point blank refuse to believe we might be, or will be in future, toiling for cash.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think £2m would be a great deal, but there’s not a chance in hell Hibs wouldn’t consider it when it would represent a very large return on our investment in such a short period at a time when our income has taken a hammering. Any club in the world who could make 4 or 5 times what they’ve spent on a player in a 6 month period would be considering it, not just Hibs.

It’s not going to go on for years though. It’ll end next year, and we’ll have crowds back again. You know what increases the chances of crowds as low as 5000? Showing no ambition, selling our best players half way through a season when going for third and in a semi final of a cup competition. Like I said, if we are struggling there is a government loan, and Ron Gordon also has lending facilities in place for us. We don’t need to sell anyone cheaper than we should expect. The fact Jack Ross has clearly said he’d only expect something to be considered if it ‘turned heads’ then £2m is nowhere near that figure.

hibbysam
30-12-2020, 09:18 AM

Exactly. He’s got far more improvement to come, in an improving team, with a chance of winning a cup, playing in Europe and playing for Scotland possibly at a major finals.

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 09:54 AM
It’s not going to go on for years though. It’ll end next year, and we’ll have crowds back again. You know what increases the chances of crowds as low as 5000? Showing no ambition, selling our best players half way through a season when going for third and in a semi final of a cup competition. Like I said, if we are struggling there is a government loan, and Ron Gordon also has lending facilities in place for us. We don’t need to sell anyone cheaper than we should expect. The fact Jack Ross has clearly said he’d only expect something to be considered if it ‘turned heads’ then £2m is nowhere near that figure.

£2m is an amount of money that turns heads at Hibs. We’ve received a fee of £2m + once in the last 11 years. None OF clubs have received £2m+ 4 times in that period.

It’s a massive amount of money in Scottish football terms to anybody outside the OF.

Northernhibee
30-12-2020, 09:58 AM

We're talking about no ambition but this year we've spent our way to 3rd in the league so far - we've bought in key players and they've done well. If we sign another player with the transfer fee, put some of it away and are able to keep some more backroom staff then we've reinvested, we've continued to show ambition by reinvesting in a new striker but we've also been sensible too.

Nobody on here could convince me that we expected to likely go the entire season without fans, it looked as if fans at the start of 2021 would be a given for a while. Loans need to be paid back if we take them by their very nature, season ticket sales will likely be well down in the summer, revenue has been well down all year and the hit will be for longer than expected and we need to plan for an uncertain future.

I'm not saying we should accept any offer - but if an excellent offer comes in then we should really consider what that may mean to us a few years down the line. If we reinvest the money and finish 3rd in the league then that couldn't be described as having no ambition at all and fans will want to follow our adventures in Europe. That could only be described as financial prudence.

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 10:05 AM
We're talking about no ambition but this year we've spent our way to 3rd in the league so far - we've bought in key players and they've done well. If we sign another player with the transfer fee, put some of it away and are able to keep some more backroom staff then we've reinvested, we've continued to show ambition by reinvesting in a new striker but we've also been sensible too.

Nobody on here could convince me that we expected to likely go the entire season without fans, it looked as if fans at the start of 2021 would be a given for a while. Loans need to be paid back if we take them by their very nature, season ticket sales will likely be well down in the summer, revenue has been well down all year and the hit will be for longer than expected and we need to plan for an uncertain future.

I'm not saying we should accept any offer - but if an excellent offer comes in then we should really consider what that may mean to us a few years down the line. If we reinvest the money and finish 3rd in the league then that couldn't be described as having no ambition at all and fans will want to follow our adventures in Europe. That could only be described as financial prudence.

:agree:

I’d love us to keep him. I’d also love us to get £5m+. The reality is that other than Hearts selling Gordon 15 years ago, no non OF team has ever received that and we’ve also been robbed of masses of income for what will almost certainly be a full year and possibly a good bit more. It doesn’t really all add up to receiving between £5m and £10m.

Like you said, government loans etc are all well and good but it all needs paid back. I can’t see Hibs racking up debt to keep Kevin Nisbet in the hope we receive a fee that’s only been received once by a non OF team about 15 years ago. A fee that there’s probably a higher than 50% chance we’d never receive.

Speedy
30-12-2020, 10:09 AM
£2m is an amount of money that turns heads at Hibs. We’ve received a fee of £2m + once in the last 11 years. None OF clubs have received £2m+ 4 times in that period.

It’s a massive amount of money in Scottish football terms to anybody outside the OF.

As someone else said, this attitude is part of the problem.

If we (Scottish clubs) start saying no then clubs will start offering more.

Since90+2
30-12-2020, 10:13 AM

Correct.

It's also wrong for people to say the fans opinion has no input into the boards decisions with transfers. If a large proportion of the support was to display their extreme displeasure at Hibs accepting £2 million for example then I'm sure it would resonate.

If Kevin Nisbet leaves Hibs in the next 12 months I'm pretty certain it will be for a transfer fee in excess of £2 million.

Since90+2
30-12-2020, 10:16 AM

We've not really had players with the exception of McGinn who we could realistically ask for more than £2 million on. If we don't have the players who are good enough it's not really an argument you can use so show why it won't happen again.

The difference is we do now have a talent that can net us a big fee at some point.

hibbysam
30-12-2020, 10:18 AM

We were rank for the majority of those years, hardly a yardstick for what we should be accepting now. £2m for Nisbet would not turn heads and would not be accepted by Hibs. We’re not going to spend decent chunks of money by our standards, to then accept the first bid 6 months later, when a player would be worth far more than that less than a year down the line.

We had never sold anyone for more than £2m before Brown left, should we have accepted the first offer we got the January previous for him? No, we held out for double in the summer after winning a trophy.

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 10:19 AM

Like McKenna and Aberdeen?

They ended up taking half of what they were apparently being offered at one point after they said no.

Just saying no and saying you want huge sums of money doesn’t mean you get more money. It just as likely means you get nothing.

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 10:24 AM
We were rank for the majority of those years, hardly a yardstick for what we should be accepting now. £2m for Nisbet would not turn heads and would not be accepted by Hibs. We’re not going to spend decent chunks of money by our standards, to then accept the first bid 6 months later, when a player would be worth far more than that less than a year down the line.

We had never sold anyone for more than £2m before Brown left, should we have accepted the first offer we got the January previous for him? No, we held out for double in the summer after winning a trophy.

There’s 4 players from every single non OF team have went for £2m or more in that period. Not every team and player in Scotland has been rank in that period.

It’s quite simply an amount of money that teams very rarely spend on players playing up here. The only ones who have commanded that fee have been SJM, Robertson who has went on to win the Champions League - the two of which were far too good for this league and Gauld and Goodwillie who failed. Nisbet isn’t far too good for this league and would be a risk to any English Premier/Championship team buying him.

hibbysam
30-12-2020, 10:25 AM

The difference being, our transfer model now is to buy young Scottish players with potential and a sell on value - like Nisbet. You cannot guarantee one of those would hit the ground running in January. So while we may reinvest, it could easily go Pete Tong. That player may take 6 months to get up to speed, or do we bin all that and go down the experienced route?

Hibs ambition is to win trophies and finish as high up the league as possible, to do that this season we must keep Nisbet IMO. To lose him would be akin to Dundee United selling Armstrong and GMS back in the day when they were Celtic’s challengers for the league and both cups.

Nisbet is an asset and barring a shocker of an injury, the bids will still be there in the summer and beyond, so financial difficulties aren’t suddenly appearing. Loans do need paid back, but I’d far rather keep Nisbet for a year and get proper money back for him, than sell him on the cheap.

hibbysam
30-12-2020, 10:27 AM
There’s 4 players from every single non OF team have went for £2m or more in that period. Not every team has been rank in that period.

It’s quite simply an amount of money that teams very rarely spend on players playing up here. The only ones who have commanded that fee have been SJM, Robertson who has went on to win the Champions League - the two of which were far too good for this league and Gauld and Goodwillie who failed. Nisbet isn’t far too good for this league and would be a risk to any English Premier/Championship team buying him.

You’ve mentioned four players, but missed out McKenna who went for £3m? Every other club haven’t been rank, but none apart from hearts and Aberdeen are as big as Hibs and haven’t had many standouts. Hearts were ***** in that time as well.

ancient hibee
30-12-2020, 10:32 AM
I almost hesitate to contribute to a thread where so many posters know the financial circumstances of clubs all over the country but here goes. My prediction is that if Nisbet is sold in the transfer window the expected drop in season ticket sales will become a torrent.

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 10:35 AM
You’ve mentioned four players, but missed out McKenna who went for £3m? Every other club haven’t been rank, but none apart from hearts and Aberdeen are as big as Hibs and haven’t had many standouts. Hearts were ***** in that time as well.

5 then - McKenna wasn’t included on the list I’d found. This is the same McKenna who Aberdeen apparently rejected £6m or so for and ended up taking about half that.

So every team has been rank in the last 10 years and there’s been next to no decent players in Scotland yet suddenly we’ve got a £5m-£10m striker on our hands.

I hope you’re right of course, but I’d be prepared to be disappointed if I were you. I’m fairly certain Hibs won’t be taking out government loans or racking up debt just to keep Nisbet in the hope he doesn’t get injured or lose form and we get a massive £5m-£10m offer.

hibbysam
30-12-2020, 10:40 AM
5 then - McKenna wasn’t included on the list I’d found.

So every team has been rank in the last 10 years and there’s been next to no decent players in Scotland yet suddenly we’ve got a £5m-£10m striker on our hands.

I hope you’re right of course, but I’d be prepared to be disappointed if I were you. I’m fairly certain Hibs won’t be taking our government loans or racking up debt just to keep Nisbet in the hope he doesn’t get injured or lose form and we get a massive £5m-£10m offer.

If we were worried about him getting injured, we wouldn’t have spent money on him in the summer. Clubs aren’t worried about injuries. We’re not going to sell him ‘just in case he gets injured’.

Ps in the last 10 years most clubs in Scotland have been rank, our game has taken massive hits mostly due to Rangers being out the league and no one taking it seriously. Rangers are flying in Europe, Celtic are still a huge club, it’s put our game back on the map and Nisbet is the form striker in the league.

We have a striker with a value at whatever a club wants to spend on him, but Sheffield Utd are desperate, we’re not. If they want him they can stump up a proper amount for him. They’ve spent over £40m on two strikers, but we’ve to accept £2m.

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 10:47 AM
If we were worried about him getting injured, we wouldn’t have spent money on him in the summer. Clubs aren’t worried about injuries. We’re not going to sell him ‘just in case he gets injured’.

Ps in the last 10 years most clubs in Scotland have been rank, our game has taken massive hits mostly due to Rangers being out the league and no one taking it seriously. Rangers are flying in Europe, Celtic are still a huge club, it’s put our game back on the map and Nisbet is the form striker in the league.

We have a striker with a value at whatever a club wants to spend on him, but Sheffield Utd are desperate, we’re not. If they want him they can stump up a proper amount for him. They’ve spent over £40m on two strikers, but we’ve to accept £2m.

Aston Villa desperately needed signings to get them back in the Premiership. We didn’t desperately need money for McGinn. They got him for a small fee. It didn’t matter that they’d spent tens of millions on other players then, just like what SU spent on Burke and McBurnie won’t matter to the fee for Nisbet if that’s where he goes.

Anyway, we’ll agree to disagree. I of course hope you’re right, but I’d fully expect Hibs to consider a £2m bid.

Key West
30-12-2020, 10:48 AM
Depends on the bid, would rather see Nisbet in a Hibs strip for a couple of seasons at least.

Greenio
30-12-2020, 10:57 AM
It's aw made up anyway. He's going nowhere

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 11:00 AM
It's aw made up anyway. He's going nowhere

:agree:

I’d be surprised to see any bids in for him in January tbh.

Speedy
30-12-2020, 11:01 AM
Like McKenna and Aberdeen?

They ended up taking half of what they were apparently being offered at one point after they said no.

Just saying no and saying you want huge sums of money doesn’t mean you get more money. It just as likely means you get nothing.

Yes, like McKenna at Aberdeen. According to BBC he went for initial £3m which could rise to £6m.

You win some, you lose some but what the McKenna transfer suggests is the demand is there so you need to dig in a bit (collectively, as a market over time - not cherry picking examples) to drive the price up.

If everyone took your view then Aberdeen would be snapping people's hands off for £2m.

Big clubs in England have huge rewards to chase so they can risk that wee bit extra on the chance they uncover the next McGinn, Robertson or Van Dijk.

hibbysam
30-12-2020, 11:03 AM
Aston Villa desperately needed signings to get them back in the Premiership. We didn’t desperately need money for McGinn. They got him for a small fee. It didn’t matter that they’d spent tens of millions on other players then, just like what SU spent on Burke and McBurnie won’t matter to the fee for Nisbet if that’s where he goes.

Anyway, we’ll agree to disagree. I of course hope you’re right, but I’d fully expect Hibs to consider a £2m bid.

McGinn had one year left on his deal. We weren’t in a great bargaining position, either sell then, or lose for nothing a year later. Nisbet has 3 and a half years left. That’s a huge difference.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-12-2020, 11:05 AM
We would definitely sell him for less than £6 million.

We're just not in a position to turn down bids of £3-4 million, particularly at the moment.

It's amazing that some people think otherwise.

Lago
30-12-2020, 11:19 AM
I almost hesitate to contribute to a thread where so many posters know the financial circumstances of clubs all over the country but here goes. My prediction is that if Nisbet is sold in the transfer window the expected drop in season ticket sales will become a torrent.
Totally agree, if & it's a big if, this was to happen you would have the same people on here complaining about lack of ambition, lack of atmosphere at the ground, no competition against OF dominance & watching a 2nd rate product on the park.

Tyler Durden
30-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Nisbet has been great so far but the suggestion that he’s the answer to Sheffield Utds problems is laughable. Even if they were planning for next season, they have McBurnie and Brewster who both scored 20+ in their last seasons in that division.

Nisbet is going well but he’s not at the level of Rhian Brewster and he’s not shown he can play as a lone striker, which most teams in England would want. He’s got miles to go yet.

sean04
30-12-2020, 12:03 PM
It really depends on how much effect having no match day/season ticket income is having, with no clear sign of fans getting back in it may become a financial decision. On the other hand we have a real chance of winning a cup so wouldn’t be in our best interests to sell out top goal scorer. Jan window is difficult to get value for money aswell, could end up paying over the odds for players

basehibby
30-12-2020, 12:11 PM

Totally different scenario - McGinn had given us 3 or 4 years of excellent service, had one year left on his deal and everybody acknowledged that it would have been wrong to hold him back. He therefore went with everyone's good wishes and no bad repurcussions for the club.

Nisbet is a completely different kettle of fish - has only just arrived and has 3 and a half years to run of his contract. Hibs are therefore under no pressure to sell.
Unless an ENORMOUS offer came in and I do mean ENORMOUS , it would be viewed as a pathetic surrender to let him go and the risk of a major fall off in ST sales would become very real. It would be a dreadful decision to sell for £2M and I'm just glad that you are nowhere near the decision making levers of the club if you think otherwise.

Kinross Hibee
30-12-2020, 12:14 PM
As a fan, NO!

As a business, in the strange times we are enduring, absolutely yes.

2-2.5m plus hefty add-ons. Take the money, reinvest 30-40% whilst boosting the clubs bank balance.

Id be happy with that, ideally keep him until the summer though whilst trying to achieve 3rd and another semi-final or better, then sell at end of season.

hibbysam
30-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Totally different scenario - McGinn had given us 3 or 4 years of excellent service, had one year left on his deal and everybody acknowledged that it would have been wrong to hold him back. He therefore went with everyone's good wishes and no bad repurcussions for the club.

Nisbet is a completely different kettle of fish - has only just arrived and has 3 and a half years to run of his contract. Hibs are therefore under no pressure to sell.
Unless an ENORMOUS offer came in and I do mean ENORMOUS , it would be viewed as a pathetic surrender to let him go and the risk of a major fall off in ST sales would become very real. It would be a dreadful decision to sell for £2M and I'm just glad that you are nowhere near the decision making levers of the club if you think otherwise.

McGinn had also fired us through two rounds of European qualification which not only maximised our revenues but also maximised the value we could get for him.

The Spaceman
30-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Definitely not.

He’s only getting better and think if we waited a year or 1.5 years and he had a huge portfolio of wonderful goals during that time with two years left on his deal, he would go for big money.

Remember as well it’s a bit like trading stocks at the moment - only sell if you absolutely have to and cash in once the market is good again. Let Kevin fire us into Europe and bag us this league cup first in the meantime - highly doubt we would get less for him in a year.

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 12:25 PM

You say Hibs are under no pressure to sell as if we’re not about to spend a season with no fans through the gate after a season which ended without being finished last season and most likely a huge drop in season tickets next season with the very real possibility of that being about our only significant income stream.

Hibs may not be under pressure to sell Nisbet specifically but you can guarantee we’ll be under pressure at some point to either cut costs or find a way to raise funds. With most other income streams out the window just now player sales may be about the only way to do that.

What sort of figure qualifies as enormous in this situation out of interest?

Also I’ve never once said I would sell him. I’d be stunned if £2m didn’t get Hibs thinking is what I’ve said and I’d suspect we’d probably take it. That’s a completely different thing from saying I’d sell him for £2m and think it would be a good deal.

hibbysam
30-12-2020, 12:34 PM
You say Hibs are under no pressure to sell as if we’re not about to spend a season with no fans through the gate after a season which ended without being finished last season and most likely a huge drop in season tickets next season with the very real possibility of that being about our only significant income stream.

Hibs may not be under pressure to sell Nisbet specifically but you can guarantee we’ll be under pressure at some point to either cut costs or find a way to raise funds. With most other income streams out the window just now player sales may be about the only way to do that.

But you say that as if we don’t have a chairman, CEO, and marketing department who should all be looking at ways for the club to make money during this period, including marketing next seasons ST’s correctly to maximise sales.

Although our revenues have dropped, our costs will have dropped also. We’ll have lost money but our main revenue stream (season tickets) have been maintained, we are almost guaranteed to finish 3/4 places higher than last season (£££). Selling players isn’t the only way to alleviate financial pressures, and you say the club won’t want to go into debt if they can sell a player, but I can guarantee they’ll see Nisbet as part of our short to medium term success and the revenues that will bring. They’ll far rather take a loan from the government or from Ron, than sell Nisbet if it means our revenues take a huge hit in the next 18 months because of it.

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 12:54 PM
But you say that as if we don’t have a chairman, CEO, and marketing department who should all be looking at ways for the club to make money during this period, including marketing next seasons ST’s correctly to maximise sales.

Although our revenues have dropped, our costs will have dropped also. We’ll have lost money but our main revenue stream (season tickets) have been maintained, we are almost guaranteed to finish 3/4 places higher than last season (£££). Selling players isn’t the only way to alleviate financial pressures, and you say the club won’t want to go into debt if they can sell a player, but I can guarantee they’ll see Nisbet as part of our short to medium term success and the revenues that will bring. They’ll far rather take a loan from the government or from Ron, than sell Nisbet if it means our revenues take a huge hit in the next 18 months because of it.

They can market season tickets all they want but there’ll be a huge drop if fans are still locked out by the summer regardless of the marketing.

I disagree on the point about the government loans. If the club have the means to raise the funds themselves then they’ll take it rather than gamble on one player and taking out a loan based on that gamble and hope he doesn’t get injured or lose form leaving us in the **** imo. Hibs have never been one to take such huge gambles.

hibbysam
30-12-2020, 12:58 PM
They can market season tickets all they want but there’ll be a huge drop if fans are still locked out by the summer regardless of the marketing.

I disagree on the point about the government loans. If the club have the means to raise the funds themselves then they’ll take it rather than gamble on one player and taking out a loan based on that gamble and hope he doesn’t get injured or lose form leaving us in the **** imo.

Even if it has an even greater impact on revenues over the following 18 months? Finishing the season poorly due to selling our best player would have a far bigger impact on our season ticket sales. Ron would be delighted to put his hand in his pocket seeing as it would benefit him longer term.

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Even if it has an even greater impact on revenues over the following 18 months? Finishing the season poorly due to selling our best player would have a far bigger impact on our season ticket sales. Ron would be delighted to put his hand in his pocket seeing as it would benefit him longer term.

Why would it have a greater impact on the next 18 months revenue?

When did selling a star player ever see such a massive hit to our revenues? You think selling Nisbet would have a bigger impact on our season ticket sales than COVID/fans not being able to get into games?

hibbysam
30-12-2020, 01:05 PM
Why would it have a greater impact on the next 18 months revenue?

When did selling a star player ever see such a massive hit to our revenues? You think more people will not buy a season ticket because we’ve sold Kevin Nisbet than folk who won’t buy it because they can’t justify buying it when they can’t get into the games/lost jobs etc?

Our season tickets are going to drop regardless, but they’ll drop far more if we finish this season poorly, scrape 4th, Chuck the league cup, all after selling Nisbet for the first bid we receive.

You keep saying selling players is our only way of making money, if Nisbet is the difference between winning a cup, finishing 3rd and therefore getting into ECL groups rather than 2nd qualifying round, then that’s a huge jump in revenues. The club also has professionals that are there to make us money, be it sponsorships, marketing etc.

£2m - what we we’d be due Dunfermline - his replacements cost - what we paid for him... that’s not that much of a profit after all.

HibeeHibernian4
30-12-2020, 01:05 PM

We don't get many chances to cash in on a player like this. It cost us the best part of half a million just to sign him. I'd be hoping Hibs were looking for a bigger return than £2m, given how silly the money is down in England and us having Nisbet on a long-term contract. I wouldn't even entertain selling him until this time next year at the earliest. We need players to fire us to glory, not give us five months and sell for lowball offers.

HibeeHibernian4
30-12-2020, 01:06 PM

Didier Agathe disagrees. :greengrin

Andy74
30-12-2020, 01:09 PM
Didier Agathe disagrees. :greengrin

He wasn’t really ours to sell at that point.

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 01:16 PM
Our season tickets are going to drop regardless, but they’ll drop far more if we finish this season poorly, scrape 4th, Chuck the league cup, all after selling Nisbet for the first bid we receive.

You keep saying selling players is our only way of making money, if Nisbet is the difference between winning a cup, finishing 3rd and therefore getting into ECL groups rather than 2nd qualifying round, then that’s a huge jump in revenues. The club also has professionals that are there to make us money, be it sponsorships, marketing etc.

£2m - what we we’d be due Dunfermline - his replacements cost - what we paid for him... that’s not that much of a profit after all.

Third doesn’t get you into the EL groups as far as I’m aware?

We’ve not even got a sponsor this season. I’m not sure anyone’s going to be banging down doors to sponsor us with significant sums in this current climate when they haven’t been the last couple of years.

How do you know were due Dunfermline money? Has that been reported anywhere?

Again, I absolutely hope you’re right and not me. As a fan I’d tell them to bolt regardless of the offer. I don’t think the club will be quite so dismissive of bids though and I couldn’t blame them given the current climate.

basehibby
30-12-2020, 01:18 PM

Also I’ve never once said I would sell him. I’d be stunned if £2m didn’t get Hibs thinking is what I’ve said and I’d suspect we’d probably take it. That’s a completely different thing from saying I’d sell him for £2m and think it would be a good deal.

We are under the same pressures as just about every other club on the planet at the mo wrt Lockdowns etc but you argue as if we are the only club under the sun experiencing these problems. Of course the club have taken a financial hit but if I'm not mistaken, measures have already been taken to offset that - and Nisbet was signed when these issues were already a known factor. Therefore I would not expect there to be any pressing need to sell any player at all at this stage.

Of course every player does have their price - but at the moment I would suggest that £2M is nowhere near Nisbet's - and to answer your question IMO you would have to talk in multiples of £2M at this stage in Nisbet's Hibs contract to qualify as anything like enormous.

I understand your concern about STs and maybe they will take a hit - or maybe not. I think the majority of fans that took on the cost of an ST this season did so knowing full well that they might see few if any games in the flesh. But ask yourself what was the pre-cursor to the surge in ST sales from what 8000 to 14,000 in 2016? It was success on the football park - gained as a result of building a good side capable of success rather than selling off the family silver to the highest bidder at the first opportunity.

To close - for someone who wouldn't think of selling Nisbet in Jan for £2M as a good deal, you are spending an awful lot of time arguing in favour of the notion.

GreenCastle
30-12-2020, 01:18 PM
Sell and bring Leigh back .

This...

Things also to consider about KN.

Has he played for Scotland ?
Has he played in Europe ?
Has he won a trophy ?
Has he scored in high profile games ?

He’s scored against Celtic but you could argue he hasn’t scored against many high level defenders yet...

I’m a massive fan of him and he’s got talent but all these questions and unknowns means his price will be lower than we could wish for.

I think though it’s only a matter of time before the above answers are all yes though as he continues to improve and development.

Also the argument - put in a better team and he will get improved service / chances.

hibbysam
30-12-2020, 01:22 PM
Third doesn’t get you into the EL groups as far as I’m aware?

We’ve not even got a sponsor this season. I’m not sure anyone’s going to be banging down doors to sponsor us with significant sums in this current climate when they haven’t been the last couple of years.

How do you know were due Dunfermline money? Has that been reported anywhere?

Again, I absolutely hope you’re right and not me. As a fan I’d tell them to bolt regardless of the offer. I don’t think the club will be quite so dismissive of bids though and I couldn’t blame them given the current climate.

Hibs, Celtic or Rangers winning the Scottish cup would see us getting straight into the EL playoff, a win and into EL group, a defeat and into the ECL groups. There’s no better way to get sponsors on board than competing in Europe, winning trophies etc. There’s no better way to do those things than to keep our best players.

basehibby
30-12-2020, 01:22 PM
As a fan, NO!

As a business, in the strange times we are enduring, absolutely yes.

2-2.5m plus hefty add-ons. Take the money, reinvest 30-40% whilst boosting the clubs bank balance.

Id be happy with that, ideally keep him until the summer though whilst trying to achieve 3rd and another semi-final or better, then sell at end of season.

But you ARE a fan aren't you?!? Personally I see the two POVs as intertwinned and think it would be bad for the fans and therefore bad for business to sell Nisbet in Jan.

Re the bit in bold - the question in the OP is specifically about selling in January.

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 01:40 PM
Hibs, Celtic or Rangers winning the Scottish cup would see us getting straight into the EL playoff, a win and into EL group, a defeat and into the ECL groups. There’s no better way to get sponsors on board than competing in Europe, winning trophies etc. There’s no better way to do those things than to keep our best players.

Apologies, I forgot the ECL was even a thing. I thought you were just ****ing up the abbreviation for Europa League :greengrin

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 01:43 PM
We are under the same pressures as just about every other club on the planet at the mo wrt Lockdowns etc but you argue as if we are the only club under the sun experiencing these problems. Of course the club have taken a financial hit but if I'm not mistaken, measures have already been taken to offset that - and Nisbet was signed when these issues were already a known factor. Therefore I would not expect there to be any pressing need to sell any player at all at this stage.

Of course every player does have their price - but at the moment I would suggest that £2M is nowhere near Nisbet's - and to answer your question IMO you would have to talk in multiples of £2M at this stage in Nisbet's Hibs contract to qualify as anything like enormous.

I understand your concern about STs and maybe they will take a hit - or maybe not. I think the majority of fans that took on the cost of an ST this season did so knowing full well that they might see few if any games in the flesh. But ask yourself what was the pre-cursor to the surge in ST sales from what 8000 to 14,000 in 2016? It was success on the football park - gained as a result of building a good side capable of success rather than selling off the family silver to the highest bidder at the first opportunity.

To close - for someone who wouldn't think of selling Nisbet in Jan for £2M as a good deal, you are spending an awful lot of time arguing in favour of the notion.

I’ve never once argued ‘in favour’ of selling him for £2m. Infact I’ve repeatedly said I hope that those who don’t think we would sell him are right and in wrong which is pretty much the exact opposite.

KingPat4
30-12-2020, 02:16 PM
No, I would not sell him in January, unless it was a bid of around £3m or £4m. Dunfermline would be due a cut of this too.

I do not believe The Sheffield United story anyway, usual bored journalist pish.

Greenworld
30-12-2020, 03:17 PM
No, I would not sell him in January, unless it was a bid of around £3m or £4m. Dunfermline would be due a cut of this too.

I do not believe The Sheffield United story anyway, usual bored journalist pish.Are we just assuming that Dunfermline are due a cut we paid a substantial fee for him

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2020, 03:22 PM
Are we just assuming that Dunfermline are due a cut we paid a substantial fee for him

Yep. Because McGinn had one in a deal done 5 years ago, apparently Nisbet does as well.

Hermit Crab
30-12-2020, 03:25 PM
No, we'd then be left with no decent striker otherwise.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2020, 03:42 PM
No, we'd then be left with no decent striker otherwise.

:faf:

Itsnoteasy
30-12-2020, 07:56 PM
£2 million my arse. Wish he would also stay on his feet.

Scotty Leither
30-12-2020, 08:05 PM
If we sold him (unless it's for a fee which we can't refuse, and I don't think he'll attract a bid of that magnitude at this stage of his career), then it sends out the wrong signals to the fans.

I know what i'd much rather see us do and that's offload or loan out the likes of Hallberg, Wright, even David Gray and bring in another first-pick forward, but I think that's unlikely; on a tangential point I'd love SJM to be on the radar of Man Utd or Arsenal and the financial bounty we would get from that, but that's a hope rather than an aspiration just now.

I'd love there to be a signing that shows a bit of intent, as i'm cautiously optimistic that Gordon sees the potential of the club, but over the piece we've got to stop signing jersey fillers as they add nothing of value to the club.