Some big hitters, with great life experience too

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/four-join-hibernian-fc-board

DaveF
28-12-2020, 09:22 AM
Ooooh, someone from Baillie Gifford.

Oscar T Grouch
28-12-2020, 09:23 AM
Can we merge the two threads admins?
Great wealth of experience with these 4 joining the board, it’ll be interesting to see what they’ll bring to the club!

greenlex
28-12-2020, 09:23 AM
Ooooh, someone from Baillie Gifford.
Aye the skint one.:greengrin

Billy Whizz
28-12-2020, 09:25 AM
Crops, who does this leave us with non exec’s on the board now?

DaveF
28-12-2020, 09:26 AM

Haha, probably 😂

Since452
28-12-2020, 09:27 AM
Onwards and upwards. Always reassuring to see competent people on the board.

The 90+2
28-12-2020, 09:30 AM
Looks all positives and no jobs for the boys in there. Very good news on the face of it.

Chorley Hibee
28-12-2020, 09:32 AM
Sounds impressive, hopefully they're part of the foundation towards pushing the club to new heights.

Gerard
28-12-2020, 09:41 AM
Looks all positives and no jobs for the boys in there. Very good news on the face of it.

I take the view that the idea of directors being jobs for the boys is a bad one. The directors who serve on the Hibs board should be the most capable people regardless of sex, gender,ethnicity,age etc

Ozyhibby
28-12-2020, 09:43 AM
The commercial side of the club appears to be moving up several gears since RG came in. Recovery from the Petrie era going well.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
28-12-2020, 09:43 AM
Sounds like a very capable range of people. Can't be anything other than positive for the club imo.

WhileTheChief..
28-12-2020, 09:44 AM

Nah, the best one :cb

Peevemor
28-12-2020, 09:45 AM
I thought it said Dickie Davis at first (could have taken over from David Tanner?).

Ron's obviously accepting the advice of local people in making these appointments which is good IMO.

It'll be interesting to see what they bring and who will be coordinating them (CEO).

JohnMcM
28-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Are these salaried positions?

Peevemor
28-12-2020, 09:54 AM
Are these salaried positions?They're non-executive directors who, at Hibs, normally aren't salaried.

The Modfather
28-12-2020, 10:03 AM
Dave Davies joins, “Everybody’s Gonna Be Happy” with that so long as he doesn’t lead us down a “ Dead End Street”.

h185forever
28-12-2020, 10:30 AM
The new CEO must he about due ? ....Ron hoped to have it completed within a month.

Heisenberg
28-12-2020, 10:34 AM
Must all be part of Ron’s master plan to run the club into the ground and sell ER for flats...

In all seriousness it seems like good news and a vast amount of experience coming into the club.

Eyrie
28-12-2020, 10:35 AM
Dave Davies joins, “Everybody’s Gonna Be Happy” with that so long as he doesn’t lead us down a “ Dead End Street”.

You really got me with those.

JohnMcM
28-12-2020, 10:35 AM
They're non-executive directors who, at Hibs, normally aren't salaried.
Thanks.

The 90+2
28-12-2020, 10:41 AM
I take the view that the idea of directors being jobs for the boys is a bad one. The directors who serve on the Hibs board should be the most capable people regardless of sex, gender,ethnicity,age etc

Me too and I totally agree. I don't think it's always been the case though and there was also a slight concern recently with RG's son on board that it could become that way again but it doesn't look to be the case.

worcesterhibby
28-12-2020, 10:41 AM
Impressive line up, interesting times.

Mikey
28-12-2020, 10:42 AM
With that number of people coming onto the board I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the current non exec's move on, particularly with LD leaving.

CropleyWasGod
28-12-2020, 10:43 AM
With that number of people coming onto the board I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the current non exec's move on, particularly with LD leaving.

The lawyer seems to be a direct replacement for Amanda Jones.

hibbyfraelibby
28-12-2020, 10:44 AM
The new CEO must he about due ? ....Ron hoped to have it completed within a month.

David Davis was CEO at QPR and Edinburgh Rugby...guess what his role might be going forward?

DaveF
28-12-2020, 10:48 AM
The lawyer seems to be a direct replacement for Amanda Jones.

Probably but wasn't the appointment of Malcolm McPherson seen as that at the time?

How many non execs do we have now?

bingo70
28-12-2020, 10:48 AM
David Davis was CEO at QPR and Edinburgh Rugby...guess what his role might be going forward?

Would they not have just held off and announced him as the new CEO though?

CropleyWasGod
28-12-2020, 11:00 AM
Probably but wasn't the appointment of Malcolm McPherson seen as that at the time?

Think it's 8.

Amanda was centred on employment law, which is what the new one seems to be.

hhibs
28-12-2020, 11:07 AM
The commercial side of the club appears to be moving up several gears since RG came in. Recovery from the Petrie era going well.[emoji106]

Not just the Petrie era,I am afraid

I should add ,these appointments look very positive.

Peevemor
28-12-2020, 11:09 AM
Would they not have just held off and announced him as the new CEO though?Is Leeann away yet? Maybe they're letting the two of them overlap, especially with the transfer window about to open and contract negotiations ongoing with the likes of Joe Newell.

Greenio
28-12-2020, 11:30 AM

Good to get diversity into your board. Without it, over time the answers from everyone sound the same.

Not sure I agree these new members all look like what you'd say were heavy hitters, but I trust the judgment of the club they are up for the job. Good luck to em all

Since452
28-12-2020, 11:31 AM
The potential at Hibs is enormous. I think Ron knows that. Really think he'll take us to the next level commercially. We should at least be on a par with Aberdeen.

Gerard
28-12-2020, 11:37 AM
Good to get diversity into your board. Without it, over time the answers from everyone sound the same.

Not sure I agree these new members all look like what you'd say were heavy hitters, but I trust the judgment of the club they are up for the job. Good luck to em all

My point is that the most capable people serve on the BODs. The idea and need to have diversity for diversity as an objective is a fair one if these people are the most capable ones serving on it. If the board was best served by being a majority coming from one sex or gender or any other demographic that in my opinion would be best for our club.

Newcastlehibby
28-12-2020, 11:39 AM
You really got me with those.
I’ve been Tired of Waiting for this announcement.

Keith_M
28-12-2020, 11:48 AM

That may be true when it comes to ordering lunch but is very rarely the case in business.

Seveno
28-12-2020, 11:53 AM
This says a lot of how far Ron wants to take the club.

18Craig75
28-12-2020, 12:00 PM

There’s a good chance Gillian has been brought on board on the recommendation of Malcolm McPherson. He was/is a partner at AG (formerly HBJ Gateley) whom she works for.

CropleyWasGod
28-12-2020, 12:03 PM

At least 2 of them should be able to walk like a woman and talk like a man.

jacomo
28-12-2020, 02:21 PM
That may be true when it comes to ordering lunch but is very rarely the case in business.

Nonsense. If you only hire from 50% of the population or less, you are limiting the talent pool at your disposal and it’s likely to hurt you sooner or later.

On the fairness side, it is entirely reasonable for folk to see people who look like them in every walk of life. It’s also crucial for businesses who want to stay relevant.

jacomo
28-12-2020, 02:23 PM
This says a lot of how far Ron wants to take the club.

Yes. My take on it is that we are looking to maximise current opportunities and run the business as efficiently as possible. This doesn’t look like a board that is expecting a major shake up - such as an Atlantic league - any time soon.

Baldy Foghorn
28-12-2020, 02:27 PM
Hopefully a broom, sweeping out the ones who have been there too long imo, it's time to freshen things up, and drive us forward

CropleyWasGod
28-12-2020, 02:32 PM
Hopefully a broom, sweeping out the ones who have been there too long imo, it's time to freshen things up, and drive us forward

There's actually only 3 who have been there more than 5 years. The rest of the Board are relatively new.

I suspect at least 2 out of those 3 will go soon.

Baldy Foghorn
28-12-2020, 02:33 PM
There's actually only 3 who have been there more than 5 years. The rest of the Board are relatively new.

I suspect at least 2 out of those 3 will go soon.

Yes I think that will be the case

NAE NOOKIE
28-12-2020, 02:59 PM

I seem to recall seeing a documentary about QPR round about the last time they were promoted to the EPL and if I recall correctly the place was a car crash .. hope he wasn't involved with them then :greengrin

Barney McGrew
28-12-2020, 03:01 PM
I had dealings with David Davies when he was at Edinburgh Rugby and he’s a very good operator :agree:

TheDude
28-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Kathrin Hamilton is a great appointment. Worked with her for a few years and couldnt speak more highly of her.

Hibs90
28-12-2020, 03:37 PM
IF non-execs are not salaried and are volunteering their time to help push the club forwards then we could have 500 for all I care.

Edinburgh Green
28-12-2020, 03:55 PM
They're non-executive directors who, at Hibs, normally aren't salaried.

Excuse my ignorance, but what’s in it for them?

bingo70
28-12-2020, 04:22 PM

I was wondering that too.

I assume it’s good for their CV and they see it as a role they’ll probably enjoy.

Peevemor
28-12-2020, 04:22 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what’s in it for them?There are various reasons for doing it. They might be supporters with specific skills/expertise they can bring to the table and are happy to do so on a voluntary basis. They might be employees/partners of companies that the club uses (eg. solicitors or accountants) that are sent along in an advisory capacity. Other non execs are the supporters' reps & HSL reps (I think). When Rod Petrie was a non exec director the word was he was paid for doing other work for STF's companies.

matty_f
28-12-2020, 04:33 PM
Nonsense. If you only hire from 50% of the population or less, you are limiting the talent pool at your disposal and it’s likely to hurt you sooner or later.

On the fairness side, it is entirely reasonable for folk to see people who look like them in every walk of life. It’s also crucial for businesses who want to stay relevant.

Spot on.

weecounty hibby
28-12-2020, 04:34 PM

They'll be able to attend games in person🤔🤔 😃

Gmack7
28-12-2020, 04:50 PM
They'll be able to attend games in person🤔🤔 😃

😁👍
I will assist

Ozyhibby
28-12-2020, 05:03 PM
Yes. My take on it is that we are looking to maximise current opportunities and run the business as efficiently as possible. This doesn’t look like a board that is expecting a major shake up - such as an Atlantic league - any time soon.

I would have thought this big a shake up in the board and a new CEO coming in would represent a significant change in direction, no?

basehibby
28-12-2020, 05:09 PM
A warm welcome to all four new appointees. The club has been making steady progress in recent years I think, but there is always room for improvement, and with the pending departure of Leanne, new energy and ideas will be welcome.

New CEO must be next on the shopping list - and I would not be at all surprised to see Davis put his hart in the ring with his background. Will do him no harm at all to have his feet under the boardroom table in advance.

Greenworld
28-12-2020, 05:22 PM
A warm welcome to all four new appointees. The club has been making steady progress in recent years I think, but there is always room for improvement, and with the pending departure of Leanne, new energy and ideas will be welcome.

New CEO must be next on the shopping list - and I would not be at all surprised to see Davis put his hart in the ring with his background. Will do him no harm at all to have his feet under the boardroom table in advance.Echo the welcome. Its good to see expertise coming in. There is so much work to do / planning for the year ahead with sponsorship deals and really making the stadium into a major earner for the club away from football.
I really like how Ron appears to be forging ahead with his plans to increase revenue streams .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

jgl07
28-12-2020, 05:31 PM
I hope they are not going for a dedicated follower of fashion?

Keith_M
28-12-2020, 05:33 PM

Yep, but that had nothing to do with my point.

ancient hibee
28-12-2020, 05:36 PM
I hope they are not going for a dedicated follower of fashion?

Probably only on a sunny afternoon in dead end street waiting for a waterloo sunset.

PatHead
28-12-2020, 05:37 PM
Is Leeann away yet? Maybe they're letting the two of them overlap, especially with the transfer window about to open and contract negotiations ongoing with the likes of Joe Newell.

Leeann is away but is available to help if required.

hibbyfraelibby
28-12-2020, 05:56 PM
I was wondering that too.

I assume it’s good for their CV and they see it as a role they’ll probably enjoy.

You get to see behind closed doors games😉

jacomo
28-12-2020, 06:23 PM

They get to attend hospitality at ER while the rest of us plebs are watching online and paying for their free bar and buffet?

By the way, non-exec doesn’t mean unsalaried, although many such positions are unpaid (and must be in a charity). So they might be getting paid by the club AS WELL.

Last Minute
28-12-2020, 06:58 PM
They get to attend hospitality at ER while the rest of us plebs are watching online and paying for their free bar and buffet?

By the way, non-exec doesn’t mean unsalaried, although many such positions are unpaid (and must be in a charity). So they might be getting paid by the club AS WELL.

Jacobo you are so so wrong with what you are saying take it from me. I know for a fact they pay their own expenses when attending any games plus pay to stay overnight at hotels with games up north. They are unpaid and I find it insulting that you make comments like that when you don’t know what they do for our club. Do you know what the hospitality is just now ? A pie and a coffee and that’s it. Even in normal times I’ve been invited to the boardroom and believe me none of the directors drink alcohol so don’t know where your getting your false information from. I can tell you that personally I know for a fact that some of the directors and non executive put a lot of cash into the club and not the others way around .

CropleyWasGod
28-12-2020, 06:59 PM

Hibs haven't paid their non-execs for a long time.

Allant1981
28-12-2020, 07:12 PM
Jacobo you are so so wrong with what you are saying take it from me. I know for a fact they pay their own expenses when attending any games plus pay to stay overnight at hotels with games up north. They are unpaid and I find it insulting that you make comments like that when you don’t know what they do for our club. Do you know what the hospitality is just now ? A pie and a coffee and that’s it. Even in normal times I’ve been invited to the boardroom and believe me none of the directors drink alcohol so don’t know where your getting your false information from. I can tell you that personally I know for a fact that some of the directors and non executive put a lot of cash into the club and not the others way around .

Might be wrong but think it was tongue in cheek based on another thread

Greenio
28-12-2020, 08:13 PM
My point is that the most capable people serve on the BODs. The idea and need to have diversity for diversity as an objective is a fair one if these people are the most capable ones serving on it. If the board was best served by being a majority coming from one sex or gender or any other demographic that in my opinion would be best for our club.

Having diversity and having the capability you need are not mutually exclusive.

Progressive companies, which we are, need different ideas, opinions, view points. Without it you become predictable and stagnant.

matty_f
28-12-2020, 09:31 PM

Progressive companies, which we are, need different ideas, opinions, view points. Without it you become predictable and stagnant.

:aok: well said.

jacomo
28-12-2020, 09:48 PM

My post was tongue in cheek and referencing another thread speculating that Hibs hospitality was still running in secret.

It’s obviously not landed well. Apologies.

Gerard
28-12-2020, 10:35 PM

All good points perhaps my reply was ambiguous. The point or points that I was trying to make are we should have the most capable people who serve on the Hibernian BODS. All people should have the opportunity to more apply to become directors and from that pool of people the ones that are best capable of serving as directors are chosen. I believe in having diverse opinions as you can learn from other people’s opinions and have a better chance of making our society and club a better one. It also makes and keeps society interesting and more enlightened.

Malthibby
29-12-2020, 05:40 PM

What he said. It's why positive discrimination works in the long term, it includes the excluded.
GG

Hibs4185
29-12-2020, 05:48 PM
Can’t say too much, but I was contacted by someone at the club looking for accommodation.

I was told it wasn’t hibs that we’re paying, it was being covered by a benefactor.

Might be one of the new faces on the board. Even if not, it still great to see a broad coalition of new faces from different businesses and sectors. Can only be a positive

erin go bragh
30-12-2020, 10:31 AM
Can’t say too much, but I was contacted by someone at the club looking for accommodation.

I was told it wasn’t hibs that we’re paying, it was being covered by a benefactor.

Might be one of the new faces on the board. Even if not, it still great to see a broad coalition of new faces from different businesses and sectors. Can only be a positive

Interesting 🤨 Could be for our big marquee January signing 😁

Andy74
30-12-2020, 10:34 AM

There’s no danger we are going to be providing accommodation for non exec board members!

bigwheel
30-12-2020, 10:43 AM
There’s no danger we are going to be providing accommodation for non exec board members!

I’m assuming he was suggesting that is who the benefactor was....

Gmack7
30-12-2020, 10:56 AM
I’m assuming he was suggesting that is who the benefactor was....

I'm lost, do we have a benefactor that has nowhere to stay? Sounds like he needs our help

bigwheel
30-12-2020, 11:01 AM
I'm lost, do we have a benefactor that has nowhere to stay? Sounds like he needs our help

[emoji1787]

Keith_M
30-12-2020, 11:05 AM
What he said. It's why positive discrimination works in the long term, it includes the excluded.
GG

Are there actually people applying to join boards of Scottish football clubs and being excluded because of their race, religion, gender or sexual preferences?

:dunno:

I must admit, it's not something I've read about (at least any specific examples) in the news or online.

bigwheel
30-12-2020, 11:09 AM
Are there actually people applying to join boards of Scottish football clubs and being excluded because of their race, religion, gender or sexual preferences?

I must admit, it's not something I've read about (at least any specific examples) in the news or online.

boards of a scottish football teams are dominated by white males . Not sure what the percentage would be , but I bet it is well over 80 percent.

There is well proven evidence now that diversity of gender, race and backgrounds in a team improves performance ..anything that looks to create a better balance in our board is a good thing ...

Victor
30-12-2020, 11:20 AM

Jesus, Joseph and Mary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WhileTheChief..
30-12-2020, 11:20 AM

Nope, there’s not.

Dunno why folk are trying to bring the diversity chat into it, there’s plenty other forums out there to discuss it.

Ron has brought in 4 new faces that he thinks will benefit Hibs, that should be the only consideration he needs to make.

WhileTheChief..
30-12-2020, 11:23 AM
boards of a scottish football teams are dominated by white males . Not sure what the percentage would be , but I bet it is well over 80 percent. ...

Which is probably representative of Scottish Football’s fan base?

Don’t see the problem here, are you saying we need to change board members because of their race or religion?

bigwheel
30-12-2020, 12:12 PM
Which is probably representative of Scottish Football’s fan base?

Don’t see the problem here, are you saying we need to change board members because of their race or religion?

No, I was answering a post questioning on the topic ...I’m saying that diversity in boards is a good thing and businesses should actively take an approach to seek to achieve it .. it doesn’t happen by luck - boards need to set out to achieve the mix. It looks like we are doing that too .

Keith_M
30-12-2020, 01:21 PM
boards of a scottish football teams are dominated by white males . Not sure what the percentage would be , but I bet it is well over 80 percent.

There is well proven evidence now that diversity of gender, race and backgrounds in a team improves performance ..anything that looks to create a better balance in our board is a good thing ...

None of that actually answered my question.

Regarding the White Males part: 96% of people in Scotland are White. So I don't really see this statistic on it's own as indication of a major issue.

The gender part is interesting, though. We have a very good female CEO, so it's obvious we have no issues employing people that are right for the job, regardless of gender. If the right person applied again, and was female. I'm sure we'd be happy to hire them.

To get back to my original question... I'm unaware of any instances where people have wanted to join the board of a Scottish football club and been turned because of their gender, race or sexual orientation.

So, my question is: Could you possibly supply examples of where that has actually happened.... or Is it possible people are looking for a problem that doesn't actually exist?

18Craig75
30-12-2020, 01:24 PM

I wonder if this could be a loan signing with his parent club covering accommodation costs...

Andy74
30-12-2020, 01:34 PM
But none of that actually answered my question.

Boards are generally not put together by people applying. It is largely by invitation of the owners.

I guess in the past Boards of football clubs had tended to put together as white and male. To be fair this probably mirrored those taking part in the game and those who were in positions to add value, funding, influence etc.

I think naturally over time and Hibs is a decent example, you get more female CEOs being selected. CFOs also as well as those who can add value in legal, HR, marketing and so on.

Diversity of thought is a good thing for Boards but there is an argument that rather than be totally reflective of society on the whole you should at least reflect your customer base.

I’m very sure that we are now thinking actively about increasing diversity when we are looking at board appointments. I don’t think we’ve actively blocked people from being board members due to their backgrounds but in the past we wouldn’t have been thinking about how diversity could be a positive.

bigwheel
30-12-2020, 01:35 PM
But none of that actually answered my question.

Not directly, I was highlighting that your question isn’t the real issue - the make up of boards currently in Scottish football are not comprised of the right variety of genders, race and backgrounds likely to maximise performance.

if businesses only pick from those who apply, they are equally unlikely to get the right mix of background, capabilities and diversity that will increase their performance and contribution . They have to seek broader diversity out. That is what modern forward thinking clubs are seeking to address. It looks like we are taking some steps in the right direction ..

Keith_M
30-12-2020, 01:49 PM
Not directly, I was highlighting that your question isn’t the real issue - the make up of boards currently in Scottish football are not comprised of the right variety of genders, race and backgrounds likely to maximise performance.

if businesses only pick from those who apply, they are equally unlikely to get the right mix of background, capabilities and diversity that will increase their performance and contribution . They have to seek broader diversity out. That is what modern forward thinking clubs are seeking to address. It looks like we are taking some steps in the right direction ..

Thanks for the response. So, for clarity, no one is aware of any discrimination so that is not an issue.

My point of view on this issue in general is that people should be judged purely on their capability and experience. No one should be discounted because they are the 'wrong' colour, gender, religion or sexual orientation.

In the incredibly unlikely event that our whole board was comprised of Afro-Caribean Women, I honestly couldn't care less, as long as they were doing a good job.

However, I'm not entirely convinced that filling a board with people of different genders, races, etc, is a pre-requisite to being a successful business. I think it's far too simplistic an idea and is an argument wrongly used to break down barriers.

There are many examples of extremely successful businesses run by a very narrow cross section of ethnicities or genders. For instance, I don't think that many of the Asian retail and food businesses in the south side of Glasgow have exactly been hindered by a lack of racial diversity, as many of them are extremely successful and valuable businesses.

Or if you told Ali-Baba that they had to employ a lot more non-Chinese people in top positions if they ever wanted to achieve anything, they would laugh and point to their value in the Stock Market, which is currently round the $27 Billion mark.

Andy74
30-12-2020, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the response. So, for clarity, no one is aware of any discrimination so that is not an issue.

My point of view on this issue in general is that people should be judged purely on their capability and experience. No one should be discounted because they are the 'wrong' colour, gender, religion or sexual orientation.

In the incredibly unlikely event that our whole board was comprised of Afro-Caribean Women, I honestly couldn't care less, as long as they were doing a good job.

However, I'm not entirely convinced that filling a board with people of different genders, races, etc, is a pre-requisite to being a successful business. I think it's far too simplistic an idea and is an argument wrongly used to break down barriers.

There are many examples of extremely successful businesses run by a very narrow cross section of ethnicities or genders. For instance, I don't think that many of the Asian retail and food businesses in the south side of Glasgow have exactly been hindered by a lack of racial diversity, as many of them are extremely successful and valuable businesses.

Or if you told Ali-Baba that they had to employ a lot more non-Chinese people in top positions if they ever wanted to achieve anything, they would laugh and point to their value in the Stock Market, which is currently round the $27 Billion mark.

Which is why I think being representative of your customer base is important rather than being strictly diverse on race etc.

Even in your Ali-Baba example, and I don’t know their board make up, it will still be sensible for them to have diverse thought around the table for long term sustainability of the business.

MyJo
30-12-2020, 02:09 PM

I don't think anyone was suggesting it was deliberate discrimination, more that it was a case of unconcious bias in the way that boards of directors are made up.

The old, straight white guy in charge of picking people to work with will end up surrounding himself with more old straight white guys who share his values and opinions. As a result those boardrooms can become echo chambers and out of touch with a broad section of society.

That might be fine if the success of your company relies predominantly on appealing to old, straight white guys (Or a very specific population like your examples above) but for a football club that wants to attract valuable commercial relationships with image conscious brands and increase it's support base within a very diverse local population and wider market then it needs a leadership team that brings different voices and life experiences to the table to help us achieve that goal.

matty_f
30-12-2020, 03:30 PM
I don't think anyone was suggesting it was deliberate discrimination, more that it was a case of unconcious bias in the way that boards of directors are made up.

The old, straight white guy in charge of picking people to work with will end up surrounding himself with more old straight white guys who share his values and opinions. As a result those boardrooms can become echo chambers and out of touch with a broad section of society.

That might be fine if the success of your company relies predominantly on appealing to old, straight white guys (Or a very specific population like your examples above) but for a football club that wants to attract valuable commercial relationships with image conscious brands and increase it's support base within a very diverse local population and wider market then it needs a leadership team that brings different voices and life experiences to the table to help us achieve that goal.

There's also the issue that people who never see people like them in roles like that automatically avoid going for them.

Making a point of encouraging diversity is a good thing.

CapitalGreen
30-12-2020, 04:18 PM

Except that is exactly what Alibaba did in hiring John Evans a Canadian as President to lead their international expansion strategy. In addition to this the executive Vice Chair of Alibaba Group is not Chinese having been born in Taiwan and raised and educated in North America from a young age. Of the top 3 positions of Alibaba only CEO Daniel Zhang is Chinese.

Andy74
30-12-2020, 04:20 PM
Except that is exactly what Alibaba did in hiring John Evans a Canadian as President to lead their international expansion strategy. In addition to this the executive Vice Chair of Alibaba Group is not Chinese having been born in Taiwan and raised and educated in North America from a young age. Of the top 3 positions of Alibaba only CEO Daniel Zhang is Chinese.

A quick look at their Board and it is pretty diverse for Chinese company with females represented and also by the looks of it US and Swedish based Directors.

Wakeyhibee
30-12-2020, 04:59 PM
Looks good on the face of it
So long as we're not asking "Where have all the good times gone?" in 12 months