PDA

View Full Version : Josh Doig

Pretty Boy
26-12-2020, 01:38 PM
The young lad had a bit of a torrid time of it before being taken out the team.

Thought he proved a few doubters wrong today though. Nulified Tavernier for long spells and was defensively sound, got forward well and put in a couple of decent crosses.

He's young and will be inconsistent but he justified the managers faith in him today. He doesn't seem short on confidence and hopefully today is another push in the right direction for him. He was part of a very solid defensive unit and it's good to see 352 proven as a viable option for us when required.

Brightside
26-12-2020, 01:39 PM
Yep he did very well today.

jeffers
26-12-2020, 01:40 PM
Thought it was a mistake starting him today, what do I know. He did really well, Tavernier wasn’t in the game at all.

Lago
26-12-2020, 01:41 PM
The young lad had a bit of a torrid time of it before being taken out the team.

Thought he proved a few doubters wrong today though. Nulified Tavernier for long spells and was defensively sound, got forward well and put in a couple of decent crosses.

He's young and will be inconsistent but he justified the managers faith in him today. He doesn't seem short on confidence and hopefully today is another push in the right direction for him. He was part of a very solid defensive unit and it's good to see 352 proven as a viable option for us when required.
Spot on

DaveF
26-12-2020, 01:41 PM
An excellent performance. Probably his best game to date.

neil7908
26-12-2020, 01:42 PM
He was great. That wing back role really suits him. Just needs to work on his deliveries.

Vault Boy
26-12-2020, 01:42 PM
He did very well today, all things considered. Looked very comfortable on the ball and did his duty defensively. Certainly didn't look overwhelmed at any point of the game.

The spell out of the team maybe came at the right time for him. He's still got so much developing to do and it's great to be able to use him selectively.

HibeeHibernian4
26-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Great game today for Josh. Final ball needs a little bit of work but I appreciate it can’t have been ideal crossing conditions with that wind and rain swirling about.

JohnM1875
26-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Was class today. That ball for Boyle in the first half was outstanding.

Didn't look to tire as much as earlier on in the season too.

I've been critical of his defending in the past. But he'll obviously get better at that over time.

Really impressed with and pleased for him today

NAE NOOKIE
26-12-2020, 01:48 PM
Its great that Lewis is on form just now as well, it allows JR to take his time with young Doig because the guy is proving as he did today that we have a real prospect on our hands. His ball into the box for Boyle was superb, though he followed that up with a few that weren't so good. Overall he can be proud of his contribution today though.

Monts
26-12-2020, 01:49 PM
Thought doig did really well. Was a bit worried about him coming back in for this game but he wasn't fazed

The Modfather
26-12-2020, 01:51 PM
I’m a big fan of his and he’d be my first choice left back. He’ll only get better the more he plays. Think all 3 LB’s can make a case for being first choice, but think his energy and willingness to get forward is key. The ball in for Boyle was real quality.

Stonewall
26-12-2020, 01:52 PM
Its great that Lewis is on form just now as well, it allows JR to take his time with young Doig because the guy is proving as he did today that we have a real prospect on our hands. His ball into the box for Boyle was superb, though he followed that up with a few that weren't so good. Overall he can be proud of his contribution today though.

I was surprised he was selected today but perhaps with Doidge out Ross wanted a bit more height in the team.

Delighted Doig did so well. 3 very good players fighting it out for the left back spot.

Coach Jon
26-12-2020, 01:52 PM
Good going forward, but weak defensively, has to improve this to have a chance.

Booked4Being-Ugly
26-12-2020, 01:53 PM
The young man was really good today. Great having a full/wing back that can carry the ball to the opposite end and put in good crosses.

bingo70
26-12-2020, 01:54 PM

Don’t remember him struggling defensively at all today.

Allant1981
26-12-2020, 01:54 PM

Didn't really do much wrong in defence today though

The Modfather
26-12-2020, 01:55 PM

I don’t think he is weak defensively, certainly wasn’t today in a backs to the wall performance against the best team in the league. He can definitely improve defensively, and far from the finished product and as such will make mistakes from time to time but it’s lazy to simply label him “weak defensively” IMO.

calumhibee1
26-12-2020, 02:18 PM
Thought it was a mistake starting him today, what do I know. He did really well, Tavernier wasn’t in the game at all.

Likewise. I was very surprised to see him starting but he played very well.

wookie70
26-12-2020, 02:31 PM
Good going forward, but weak defensively, has to improve this to have a chance. His positioning can be a bit suspect but he was spot on today with his defensive duties and looked strong and combative too. Positioning will improve with game time so he will end up a very good left sided defender

CMurdoch
26-12-2020, 02:41 PM
Did really well after playing little football for the last few months.
Even managed to last the whole game.
Another chunk of experience in the bank and a brave decision by Ross.

greenlex
26-12-2020, 02:47 PM
An excellent performance. Probably his best game to date.
This. Did very well. I feared the worst.

Alfred E Newman
26-12-2020, 02:50 PM
I just don't know what some on here have against him. Great prospect.

Jones28
26-12-2020, 02:51 PM

He didn’t put a foot wrong today? The only negative part of his game you’d have a legitimate complaint about was a couple of his final balls.

whiskyhibby
26-12-2020, 02:52 PM
Had a good game today, some great play going forward

B.H.F.C
26-12-2020, 02:52 PM
I thought he was finished after about an hour, he could hardly move for a few minutes.

Thought he had a good game and good to see a player dig in a bit and give everything he’s got.

The 90+2
26-12-2020, 02:56 PM
Brilliant display from the laddie the day. That will be massive for his confidence.

Northernhibee
26-12-2020, 03:01 PM
We've finally found the player to replace Lewis Stevenson when he finishes his career with us. When you think about how many players we expected to fill that role that's really saying something.

I also think that he's clearly learned a lot from the aforementioned this season too.

Bobby's Cinema
26-12-2020, 03:03 PM
Besides the point but I think to say he had a torrid time previous is very harsh.
His enthusiasm and willingness to get forward is great to watch. Look forward to seeing how he continues to develop he has great attributes.

A Hi-Bee
26-12-2020, 03:08 PM
Very good game today with some turn of speed as well, he will do good at Hibs

:flag::flag::flag:

ekhibee
26-12-2020, 03:16 PM
We've finally found the player to replace Lewis Stevenson when he finishes his career with us. When you think about how many players we expected to fill that role that's really saying something.

I also think that he's clearly learned a lot from the aforementioned this season too.

I think Mackie is also a very good, promising player at left back, it'll be a good competition between the three of them when he's fit.

Smartie
26-12-2020, 03:25 PM
I thought he was outstanding today.

I don’t like to be critical of our young players so wasn’t vocal about the fact that I wasn’t blown away by his start to the season. I’m also a fan of Stevenson and was keen to see him back in the side.

That was a cracking performance today against some of the best players in the country in their respective positions.

An improvement required with the final ball but I thought he was outstanding offensively and defensively.

Alfred E Newman
26-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Stevenson has the experience and is more dogged in defence than Doig but as an attacking fullback there is no comparison.

The 90+2
26-12-2020, 03:31 PM
I think Mackie is also a very good, promising player at left back, it'll be a good competition between the three of them when he's fit.

Doig will eventually replace Hanlon with Mackie LB.

JimBHibees
26-12-2020, 03:35 PM
Cracking performance well done Josh.

Keith_M
26-12-2020, 03:58 PM
Nice to see him come back in to the first team and do so well, especially given the quality of the opposition.

andrew70
26-12-2020, 04:00 PM
Doig will eventually replace Hanlon with Mackie LB.

Yeah I think he will too.

Robbo6-2
26-12-2020, 04:03 PM
He was outstanding today.

For a 18 year old to produce a performance like that is just brilliant

Hibee Mac
26-12-2020, 05:01 PM
Hate to say I told you so, so I won't. However I was surprised by the negative reaction from many when he was named in the starting 11.

One of the most promising young players we've had come through in a while and already offers so much more than Stevenson in forward areas.

A good tactical understanding from Jack Ross as well, Tavernier looks great when he gets to attack all game, make him go backwards for a bit and he'll give you chances to score down his side. We all know how poor he is defensively and nothing has changed in that department.

superfurryhibby
26-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Great game today. Ross made a bold decision to drop Stevenson, who’s form has been good, and play a more attack minded player. It’s a sign that Doig is rated highly and shows that our manager isn’t afraid to shake things up as the occasion demands.

gbhibby
26-12-2020, 05:21 PM
Had a very good game kept their so called world class right back very quiet. I think his best role would be Defensive Midfield as he can do the defensive bit but also would be an asset going forward. Would prefer him to Gogic in that role looks far more comfortable on the ball than Gogic.

Northernhibee
26-12-2020, 05:37 PM
Had a very good game kept their so called world class right back very quiet. I think his best role would be Defensive Midfield as he can do the defensive bit but also would be an asset going forward. Would prefer him to Gogic in that role looks far more comfortable on the ball than Gogic.

I thought Gogic was excellent today - I think that the club see Doig as a replacement for Hanlon long term and I see where they are coming from.

Torto7
26-12-2020, 05:54 PM
The fitness requirements in the game now are brutal and with games being played every other day due to Covid I wasn't surprised Josh was taken out for a while due to fatigue(mental as well as physical).

He has a lot of quality though. This time next year I expect him to being gathering a lot of attention from bigger clubs.

Peevemor
27-12-2020, 08:50 AM
Like most people I thought he'd dropped out the picture a bit and was surprised to see him picked in front of Stevenson for yesterday's match. He certainly looked the part (again) and kept his concentration very well in what was an intense 90 minutes.

His post match interview on Hibs TV is worth a watch.

jacomo
27-12-2020, 09:00 AM

Holy hyperbole Batman!

I rate Tavernier and he’s a good player, but you’d have to be extremely staunch to describe him as in any way ‘world class’.

Unseen work
27-12-2020, 11:52 AM
Best I’ve seen him.

Drove us forward with his running. The one in the second half where he one it back, played a 1-2 with Newell and drove forward and put in a cross which won us a corner was brilliant.

I know a lot are saying he will replace Hanlon but I don’t see it at all.

The next thing he needs to add to his game imo is more quality and composure on the ball which will come.

calumhibee1
27-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Holy hyperbole Batman!

I rate Tavernier and he’s a good player, but you’d have to be extremely staunch to describe him as in any way ‘world class’.

I can’t remember where I read it but there was an article somewhere the other day where the headline was claiming he was at a similar level to Alexander Arnold - think it was Callum Davidson who claimed it.

Brightside
27-12-2020, 12:38 PM
The fitness requirements in the game now are brutal and with games being played every other day due to Covid I wasn't surprised Josh was taken out for a while due to fatigue(mental as well as physical).

He has a lot of quality though. This time next year I expect him to being gathering a lot of attention from bigger clubs.

The boy is still growing too... went from 6ft to 6ft2 in the last 6 months.

Smartie
27-12-2020, 12:48 PM

I didn’t realise he was as tall as that.

Having heard the “eventual replacement for Hanlon” chat on here, I’d always had my doubts as he doesn’t physically look much like a CH.

Much the same as I thought about Hanlon himself until I saw him have a fantastic game at Parkhead, might well have been the game when Galbraith scored the winner.

wookie70
27-12-2020, 01:22 PM
I didn’t realise he was as tall as that.

Having heard the “eventual replacement for Hanlon” chat on here, I’d always had my doubts as he doesn’t physically look much like a CH.

Much the same as I thought about Hanlon himself until I saw him have a fantastic game at Parkhead, might well have been the game when Galbraith scored the winner.

He is still very slim but he looks to be very strong and there is a physical element to his game from what I have seen so far. He also has good pace. In my view bulk and strength can be coached and developed but pace and heart/courage are inbuilt. He will get better positionally and make more good decisions by simply playing so it looks like we have another hot prospect on board. He also really impressed me in his post match interview. Very mature and grounded and between him and Porteous we may have the start of a defensive golden generation.

ancient hibee
27-12-2020, 01:30 PM
Will have had a major confidence boost in being selected. Shows what an excellent manager Jack Ross is.

green day
27-12-2020, 01:31 PM

Yip, there was one bit yesterday (2nd half) where he broke away from a wee melee with the ball and my first thought was "why the hell is Porto running up the left wing?" until I realised it was JD.

He seems to be getting bigger and stronger - and if CH is his favoured position, that can only bode well.

murray26
27-12-2020, 01:52 PM
Yep surprised me I didn’t think he should have started but done well and gave Lewis a much needed rest.

Billy Whizz
27-12-2020, 02:02 PM
What a prospect we have in Josh Doig, a modern player who can play a lot of different positions, and still only 18

Remember speaking to George Craig at one of the development games, at the start of last season, and he couldn’t believe Hearts released him

We’ve got him under contact until the end of the 2022/2023 season, but I’m sure we’ll be taking to him about this just now

gbhibby
27-12-2020, 02:07 PM
Holy hyperbole Batman!

I said "so called world class," my tongue was firmly in my cheek. Do I think he is world class, no way

EI255
27-12-2020, 02:21 PM
Thought he was excellent too.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

HTD1875
29-12-2020, 09:11 AM
Certainly gives us another dimension going forward, when he plays it forces the right back he’s playing against onto the back foot which automatically pushes us up the park. Time to give him a run in the team got to deal with the fact he will make mistakes due to his age still learning and growing.

Malthibby
29-12-2020, 04:26 PM
Great game today. Ross made a bold decision to drop Stevenson, who’s form has been good, and play a more attack minded player. It’s a sign that Doig is rated highly and shows that our manager isn’t afraid to shake things up as the occasion demands.

Very good management, Tavernier is bloody dangerous going forward but had to try & defend far more thanks to Doig's pace, & he's a shoddy defender. It's easier said than done but it's a very good way to play this Rangers team; they don't like it up'em.
GG

Billy Whizz
29-12-2020, 04:28 PM
Very good management, Tavernier is bloody dangerous going forward but had to try & defend far more thanks to Doig's pace, & he's a shoddy defender. It's easier said than done but it's a very good way to play this Rangers team; they don't like it up'em.
GG

Watch his interview on the Ross County thread, refreshing honest

superfurryhibby
29-12-2020, 04:38 PM
GG

Doig must have been very heartened by being picked on Saturday and the performance he put in will have really boosted his confidence. He knows the manager trusts him enough to play him and to place a good deal of responsibility on him tactically. Being picked ahead of an in- form club legend in a big game must have told him all he needed to know about where he stands at Hibs. Brilliant.

Peevemor
29-12-2020, 05:48 PM
Doig must have been very heartened by being picked on Saturday and the performance he put in will have really boosted his confidence. He knows the manager trusts him enough to play him and to place a good deal of responsibility on him tactically. Being picked ahead of an in- form club legend in a big game must have told him all he needed to know about where he stands at Hibs. Brilliant.It sounds like Lewis is mentoring him well too which is a real plus on various levels.

gbhibby
29-12-2020, 10:54 PM
It sounds like Lewis is mentoring him well too which is a real plus on various levels.
Agree Lewis is a great role model. Watched his press conference very impressive for one so young.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2020, 01:11 AM
What is the replacing Hanlon theory based on? The kid is clearly a left back IMO

Brightside
30-12-2020, 07:02 AM
What is the replacing Hanlon theory based on? The kid is clearly a left back IMO

He was an LCB previously. It was only really during his loan move that he moved to LWB. They raved about his pace and energy. Do you get many 6ft2 LBs? Be interesting to see how he develops. Still for more growing to go.

Alex Trager
30-12-2020, 08:27 AM
Speaks well, similar to Porteous actually -in the things they say as well as the way they sound!

Looking forward to watching them develop, hopefully the start of a Golden Gen mk 2

hibee-boys
30-12-2020, 08:31 AM
He was an LCB previously. It was only really during his loan move that he moved to LWB. They raved about his pace and energy. Do you get many 6ft2 LBs? Be interesting to see how he develops. Still for more growing to go.

Didn’t realise he was that talll, I wonder what his thoughts are on what his best future position will be......do the young lads have much input into this?

Percy Vere
30-12-2020, 09:10 AM
I see Tavernier and Gerrard congratulated him on his performance.
Which is nice for the lad!
Not so sure they’d be as magnanimous if they had lost right enough.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2020, 10:02 AM

So basically, because he is big is why?

Plenty of taller left backs yes but they do transition to central defence later in their careers (Maldini, Ramos famous examples). I really don't see him as a central defender at all. His qualities suit left back well.

JimBHibees
30-12-2020, 10:16 AM

Plenty of taller left backs yes but they do transition to central defence later in their careers (Maldini, Ramos famous examples). I really don't see him as a central defender at all. His qualities suit left back well.

Tend to agree his athleticism and crossing ability seem to be his main assets not sure that would necessarily fit with being a centre back.

Brightside
30-12-2020, 11:05 AM

Well you asked why people talk about him being a LCB. Well the answer is he used to play there until Queens played him at LWB. I’m not saying he can’t be an LWB morning forward.

Diclonius
30-12-2020, 11:10 AM
We have three good left backs. Very happy with this.

USAHibee
30-12-2020, 07:28 PM
Thought this lad tried to push us forward. Can him and stevenson not play together..

The Harp Awakes
30-12-2020, 07:41 PM
Thought this lad tried to push us forward. Can him and stevenson not play together..

Agreed. Doig was the only player who was direct and tried to move the ball with pace tonight. Didn't understand subbing him unless he was injured.

ancient hibee
30-12-2020, 07:56 PM
Yes.Stevenson should have been brought on for Wright and Doig pushed forward and told to run at them.

Fritz
30-12-2020, 07:58 PM

No, clearly because he previously played as a centre back is why. Also, don’t recall Ramos as a left back. Think you got that one wrong.

gaz1875
30-12-2020, 08:01 PM
Yes.Stevenson should have been brought on for Wright and Doig pushed forward and told to run at them.

I couldn't believe he was subbed. he kept trying to overlap Wright but he kept cutting inside and the ball would go back or sideways. Stevenson with Doig further forward might have worked but taking him off imho was a poor decision.

DJ HIBBY
30-12-2020, 08:15 PM
Agreed. Doig was the only player who was direct and tried to move the ball with pace tonight. Didn't understand subbing him unless he was injured.

Probably subbed so we didn’t have 2 youngsters on same side. Gullan will also have been encouraged to push further forward and Stevenson better defensively than Doig

DJ HIBBY
30-12-2020, 08:17 PM
Tend to agree his athleticism and crossing ability seem to be his main assets not sure that would necessarily fit with being a centre back.

Think in time he will move to centre back. Both Iain Murray and Paul Hanlon started left back in their careers before being moved more
Centrally. Hanlon is still useful on the flanks when he moves forward.

Speedy
30-12-2020, 08:17 PM
No, clearly because he previously played as a centre back is why. Also, don’t recall Ramos as a left back. Think you got that one wrong.

Ramos started at right back

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2020, 08:27 PM

Doig has made his break as a left back. If he was a centre back, he'd be playing there IMO.

Ramos was a right back for years. I said fullback so no, I'm not wrong.

wills
30-12-2020, 08:32 PM
Josh is a great young talent. Easy,but wrong option for Ross is to take the youngster off who has the pace and drive to get passed defenders. Ross will shatter his confidence, he is tactically inept. Stands on that touch line clueless, doesn’t know how to change a game

Nicho87
30-12-2020, 10:59 PM
Doig should have stayed on and played in front of Stevenson. Wright replaced.

Hibbyradge
30-12-2020, 11:24 PM
Funny how we see games differently. I thought Doig's contribution tonight was lacking.

I actually sent a WhatsApp message at 7.14 saying that I thought he'd been poor. He was subbed a while later. (I doubt that those two events were connected!)

Jones28
30-12-2020, 11:27 PM
He was poor, Boyle was poor, Wright was poor, McGinn was poor..

Bad day at the office?

USAHibee
30-12-2020, 11:32 PM
Bad day at the office indeed.