PDA

View Full Version : Joe Newell

hibeg
26-12-2020, 01:32 PM
Absolutely outstanding today. Picked up deep and drove forward. He is a player

neil7908
26-12-2020, 01:33 PM
He was brilliant. We desperately need to keep him.

Lendo
26-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Had a few Rangers fans in my WhatsApp group praising him today.

weecounty hibby
26-12-2020, 01:34 PM
If we can we need to keep him. Was superb today and has really shown how good a player he is recently

Pretty Boy
26-12-2020, 01:34 PM
He was superb today and midweek. A continuation of what has been a good season for him.

The worry I have is he looks the type of player that would fit into that Rangers squad nicely. A few more performances like today and clubs that can blow us out the water in terms of wages will be courting him.

Vault Boy
26-12-2020, 01:35 PM
Silky, silky player. Love watching him run with the ball, with his head always up.

If I had a gripe, it'd be that he hasn't scored as many goals or gotten as many direct assists as his ability and performances deserve, but that's probably pretty harsh. He's been superb for us this season.

jeffers
26-12-2020, 01:35 PM
Thought that was his best performance in a Hibs jersey. Been critical of him at times, but against the best team in the league he was outstanding.

Keyser Sauzee
26-12-2020, 01:36 PM
He’s been excellent since the turn of the year and hopefully we can get him tied down. I have my doubts we will tho, I have a feeling he will move on.

JohnM1875
26-12-2020, 01:36 PM
Rangers bid for him in January wouldn't surprise me after that performance.

He was different gravy.

Vault Boy
26-12-2020, 01:39 PM

He was different gravy.

Fortunately for us (in this regard), they've got a number of similar players in that area just now. Aribo, Kamara, Davies - plus the likes of Jack and Arfield. They don't need another midfielder.

JohnM1875
26-12-2020, 01:40 PM
Fortunately for us (in this regard), they've got a number of similar players in that area just now. Aribo, Kamara, Davies - plus the likes of Jack and Arfield. They don't need another.

Agree. But hasn't stopped them before!

B.H.F.C
He was good today. Thought Gogic was good as well.

Hallberg the weak link in that midfield three for me. If Allan was on the park instead of being a pundit, that could have been the difference IMO.

NAE NOOKIE
Just getting better and better, his coolness on the ball though sometimes worrying is a joy to behold, he seems to be able to squeeze out of the tightest situations. Perhaps he doesn't score or have the killer pass as much as he should, but that's probably because of how deep he is playing.

Whatever the case the guy is a joy to watch at times, we need to keep him at all costs IMO.

neil7908
26-12-2020, 01:41 PM

He was different gravy.

Agreed. Or just get him on a pre contract. He looked as good as any of their midfield and would cost them nothing in the summer.

Allant1981
The guy just oozes class, really need SA in next to him

lord bunberry
Thought that was his best performance in a Hibs jersey. Been critical of him at times, but against the best team in the league he was outstanding.
Agreed he was brilliant today.

Hermit Crab
26-12-2020, 01:42 PM
Longer deal needed. He's quality.

The Modfather
26-12-2020, 02:01 PM
I’ve been critical of his consistency, and haven’t rated him quite as highly as some. However the last two games he’s lived up to the hype IMO. It may well be down to instructions but he has shown the last two games he can be very good at driving forward with the ball. He needs to start doing that each game and it would go a long way to helping us start to dominate more matches in midfield IMO.

CMac1988
26-12-2020, 02:07 PM
One of only 3 players at the club capable of retaining the ball under pressure. One may give it away from time to time and the other is out injured and even before that was struggling to do so.

Has needed to up his consistency and has done so the in the last month or so. Get a new contract sorted out pronto!

Monts
26-12-2020, 02:10 PM
Mad that he played on the wing when he first came in

keep the faith
26-12-2020, 02:12 PM
Can talk to other clubs in a week. Need to sort a contract out if we possibly can.

JohnMcM
26-12-2020, 02:13 PM
I'd be surprised and happy if we can hold onto him. Fingers crossed.

Heisenberg
26-12-2020, 02:18 PM
He’s easily good enough to get a good contract in the Championship down south. Don’t know if he’s ever played central midfield till now but I’m sure his form in that position this season will be attracting some attention.

He had this to say about a new contract a month or two back...

“I've only been at two previous clubs and I'm not someone to want to jump around. Maybe that's because no-one else wants me, but when I am happy and settled, I enjoy being there for a while."

Stuart93
26-12-2020, 02:21 PM
We need him tied down on a new contract pronto

DH1875
26-12-2020, 02:47 PM
Longer deal needed. He's quality.

Sign him up :agree:

The 90+2
26-12-2020, 02:48 PM
Fortunately for us (in this regard), they've got a number of similar players in that area just now. Aribo, Kamara, Davies - plus the likes of Jack and Arfield. They don't need another midfielder.

Can see them selling Kamara after the Euros. Newell would be an adequate replacement.

Northernhibee
26-12-2020, 03:03 PM
I remember the report card we got from Rotherham fans when we signed him was an excellent player for about 20 minutes a game but anonymous for the rest of it, a wildly inconsistent player.

Look at him now - it's rare that he has twenty minutes in a game where he isn't involved. You have to respect that level of improvement.

A Hi-Bee
26-12-2020, 03:05 PM
Hope he dont get tempted along the M8 to join that crowd getting a game every now and then but earning 4 times as much.
:cb

A Hi-Bee
26-12-2020, 03:06 PM
He’s easily good enough to get a good contract in the Championship down south. Don’t know if he’s ever played central midfield till now but I’m sure his form in that position this season will be attracting some attention.

He had this to say about a new contract a month or two back...

“I've only been at two previous clubs and I'm not someone to want to jump around. Maybe that's because no-one else wants me, but when I am happy and settled, I enjoy being there for a while."

Scott Allen knew him at Rotherham he speaks very highly of him when he was there and also that he was surprised that Hecky played him on the wing.
:thumbsup:

JimBHibees
26-12-2020, 03:56 PM
Sensational performance. Get him on a new contract please Hibs.

Piqué
26-12-2020, 04:33 PM
Looked like Goldson was having a word in his ear after the game

Since90+2
26-12-2020, 04:43 PM
Gut feeling is he will be away.

Northernhibee
26-12-2020, 04:45 PM

Yep, he's at such a consistent standard now and has no previous connection to the club that my thought is that he'll be able to double or better his wages without too much hassle.

Billy Whizz
26-12-2020, 04:45 PM

He’s under contact until the end of the season, so not going anywhere until then, unless someone wants to buy him in January

Since90+2
26-12-2020, 04:54 PM
He’s under contact until the end of the season, so not going anywhere until then, unless someone wants to buy him in January

Sorry wasn't clear, I meant at end of season when his deal is up.

Billy Whizz
26-12-2020, 05:02 PM
Sorry wasn't clear, I meant at end of season when his deal is up.

No worries
Although it puts a player in a strong negotiation stance if they are playing well, just an injury away from not earning
I think he’ll stay for another year, but Hibs maybe want him on a longer deal

Ozyhibby
26-12-2020, 05:15 PM
Been good the past two games but it’s only a week since he failed to track his runner to allow Dundee Utd to equalise. Good on the ball, needs to work harder off the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibee Mac
26-12-2020, 05:25 PM
Have a feeling he's off in the summer. Would love to keep him around if we can though, we'll have a lot to do in midfield in terms of recruitment if we lose him in addition to the work already needed

Since90+2
26-12-2020, 05:27 PM
Been good the past two games but it’s only a week since he failed to track his runner to allow Dundee Utd to equalise. Good on the ball, needs to work harder off the ball.

I think that's harsh. You will always be able to k pinpoint individual examples of players not tracking opposition players, even at the highest level.

He seems to do a lot of running to me, id guess he probably covers as much ground as anyone in the team.

lord bunberry
26-12-2020, 05:30 PM
He should take a lot of confidence from today into the rest of the season, he was different class, the best player on the pitch by a long way.

Torto7
26-12-2020, 05:33 PM

Unfortunately for them they can't afford him as they're skint. Neither would we sell him to them.

Pretty Boy
26-12-2020, 05:35 PM
Unfortunately for them they can't afford him as they're skint. Neither would we sell him to them.

At the end of the season we have no control over where he goes.

Torto7
26-12-2020, 05:40 PM
Yep, he's at such a consistent standard now and has no previous connection to the club that my thought is that he'll be able to double or better his wages without too much hassle.

He's consistent due to us being patient with him and allowing him to play in his natural position. He might get championship offers although the opinion on Scottish football down there isn't high, so it's likely lower championship(like his Rotherham stint) and the chance he'll be in a side that just hoof all day. The huns might try a pre contract if they haven't gone bust by then and he'll get to be on their bench I'd imagine with other titans like Barker.

All of the stuff about Newell was said about Boyle too. Our higher earners aren't on peanuts btw. If we give him an attractive offer and length then he'll be tempted to stay and play week in week out I'd imagine. Same with Ofir.

Torto7
26-12-2020, 05:43 PM
At the end of the season we have no control over where he goes.

Yeah at the end of the season. I was replying to the posts about them potentially bidding in Jan for him as if it's 1999 again and they can just roll in and sign whoever they want.

Allant1981
26-12-2020, 05:45 PM

Maybe just my memory but did it not deflect off him rather than not tracking back as he was in the box at the time

Ozyhibby
26-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Maybe just my memory but did it not deflect off him rather than not tracking back as he was in the box at the time

He was standing marking McNulty when McNulty made the run forward. He was trying to recover the situation when it deflected of him.

Ozyhibby
26-12-2020, 05:54 PM
Do want to make it clear he has been good last two games. St.Mirren was the hardest I have seen him work so far.

Allant1981
26-12-2020, 06:18 PM
He was standing marking McNulty when McNulty made the run forward. He was trying to recover the situation when it deflected of him.

He wasn't marking McNulty, McNulty had cut inside and away from his marker, possibly gogic, newell then ran back into the box and stuck a leg out which caused it to head towards their goal scorer

Souter96Mac
26-12-2020, 06:19 PM
No rumour whatsoever, but I know from his Twitter that he's a massive Birmingham fan. If they are even slightly interested, he'd be away to them in a flash imo. Hopefully Joe signs a long term deal here, as that would be unbelievable bit of business. However I feel he will be away back down south

CMurdoch
26-12-2020, 06:27 PM
Has only really played for 2 other teams, Peterborough & Rotherham with both teams doing the yoyo between the top of the 1st Division & the bottom of the Championship. From that you can probably deduce that he doesn't like to jump around if he is settled and as things stand he is the main man in Hibs midfield.
Will be 28 in March and probably coming into his peak as a player. His good performances won't have gone unnoticed down south and the biggest risk of losing him is to a middle of the table English Championship team offering a wage we won't match. Other than that Hibs is a good fit for him and him for us. I think the Jack Ross factor will see him sign on for another couple of years so long as Hibs are willing to pay him another decent wage. Suspect he is already on good money so might not have to up it much.

P.S. no chance old firm will sign him. They won't rate him good enough and are probably right

tonyrougier123
26-12-2020, 06:31 PM
Joe newell today for me looked a class above even the majority of rangers players,thrived in the thick of it at ibrox.

calumhibee1
26-12-2020, 06:41 PM
Best player on the pitch as others have said :agree:

judas
26-12-2020, 07:46 PM
Agree with OP.

Lately, this guy has looked the complete player for Hibs. Strong on the ball and in the tackle, can dribble, pass, shoot, header and control the ball with a touch.

It's funny, but when he joined from Rotherham, I thought he would be Heck's best and most reliable signing. I based that on the large amount of games he had played for for them, predominantly in the Championship (which I would say matches - or exceeds the standard of our top flight).

But I certainly did not see, coming down the tracks, the cultured player that we appear to have now.

Iggy Pope
26-12-2020, 07:48 PM
Agree with OP.

Lately, this guy has looked the complete player for Hibs. Strong on the ball and in the tackle, can dribble, pass, shoot, header and control the ball with a touch.

It's funny, but when he joined from Rotherham, I thought he would be Heck's best and most reliable signing. I based that on the large amount of games he had played for for them, predominantly in the Championship (which I would say matches - or exceeds the standard of our top flight).

But I certainly did not see the cultured player that we appear to have now.

Great player to watch. Yet to be convinced about the shooting though :wink:

Kinross Hibee
26-12-2020, 07:55 PM
Very good today, new contract required!

calumhibee1
26-12-2020, 08:03 PM

Yup, definitely would like to see more from him in terms of a goal threat. He scored 1 in 10 at Rotherham but hasn’t come close to that here which is by far the biggest criticism I think we can have of him.

If he could add a few goals then we’ll struggle to keep him imo.

tamig
26-12-2020, 08:08 PM
He was good today. Thought Gogic was good as well.

Hallberg the weak link in that midfield three for me. If Allan was on the park instead of being a pundit, that could have been the difference IMO.
Joe Newell was excellent today. Other than his poor set piece delivery, what makes you say Halberg was the weak link in midfield? I thought he was sound today and helped us compete with the hun. Didn’tsee any sign of weakness at all.

Iggy Pope
26-12-2020, 08:11 PM
Yup, definitely would like to see more from him in terms of a goal threat. He scored 1 in 10 at Rotherham but hasn’t come close to that here which is by far the biggest criticism I think we can have of him.

If he could add a few goals then we’ll struggle to keep him imo.

Less today, but past few games he has found himself in very good shooting positions without any impact. Hard to criticise much about his game though. He makes a lot of the hard things look effortless.

MrRobot
26-12-2020, 08:59 PM
classy player, hope we can get him tied down to a longer deal. mental to think he was written off so early on

B.H.F.C
26-12-2020, 09:00 PM
Joe Newell was excellent today. Other than his poor set piece delivery, what makes you say Halberg was the weak link in midfield? I thought he was sound today and helped us compete with the hun. Didn’tsee any sign of weakness at all.

I don’t think you can really discount his poor set piece delivery. That was surely a weakness, given the number of wasted opportunities?

He competed well enough but I thought he was wasteful in the final third, in open play as well as his set pieces. He should have put Boyle in first half with a simple header but totally missed the ball. And he should have had a tap in when Nisbet volleyed it across goal but was caught on his heels. Paul McGinn also bailed him out in the first half with the clearance off the line (well just in front of the line) when he just wandered away from the boy who hit the shot.

I think we did well, overall, today but for all the shape was good we let ourselves down on the ball.

EI255
26-12-2020, 11:50 PM
an absolutely outstanding player

Just hope we can keep hold of him

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
27-12-2020, 01:19 AM

Great player who's shooting is guff. A standing joke in oor hoose. They generally scitter of his foot with little or no pace on them. Not surprisingly his single Hibs goal was a thing of great beauty.

Aldo
27-12-2020, 07:15 AM
Wonder if the potential of European Football might sway his decision?? I know we are not there’s yet but we are moving in right direction! That and playing every week!

CraigHibee
27-12-2020, 10:47 AM
we should really be making an big effort to tie him down on a decent contract imo, he is a very good player and if we want to challenging at the top half of the table we need players like newell

hibby6270
27-12-2020, 03:10 PM
I think back to the first time I, and probably many others, saw him play in a friendly at East End Park. He hugged the left touchline (no doubt under orders) and looked like a player who just wasn’t interested.

The difference from that Saturday afternoon to today is like night and day. He has flourished and blossomed into a ‘first name on the team sheet’ player. Has found his niche and is by far the most improved player at the club in the last couple of seasons.

Long may it continue but as others have said eye catching performances will only attract suitors wanting to move him on. Let’s enjoy his skills and flair while we can.

green day
27-12-2020, 03:25 PM
Wonder if the potential of European Football might sway his decision?? I know we are not there’s yet but we are moving in right direction! That and playing every week!

Not having a go at you, but I always laugh when that kind of stuff gets mentioned.

He is a pro footballer, and - while Euro fitba is nice - if a Championship club down south comes calling with a 5 x increase in salary for him, he will happily put his passport away and head off down the M6 imo.

Aldo
27-12-2020, 03:27 PM
Not having a go at you, but I always laugh when that kind of stuff gets mentioned.

He is a pro footballer, and - while Euro fitba is nice - if a Championship club down south comes calling with a 5 x increase in salary for him, he will happily put his passport away and head off down the M6 imo.

[emoji23] I’m old school and forgot there’s not a lot of loyalty in football (there is some)

Footballers careers are short and you are correct ££££ will account for a lot!

greenlex
27-12-2020, 03:28 PM

Disagree. He might take the A1/M1

lord bunberry
27-12-2020, 03:29 PM

That’s obviously true, but if there isn’t such a huge difference in what he could earn it could be make the difference. Fwiw I don’t think anyone will come in and offer him 5x what hibs will be offering.

judas
27-12-2020, 04:48 PM

I think European Football for non OF clubs in Scotland has been grossly over estimated in it's importance.

I can't imagine for a minute that the prospect of this short lived distraction would keep any player at Hibs.

The threats to his continued service at Hibs will come from Leagues 2 right through to the Championships in England.

Since90+2
27-12-2020, 04:51 PM
I think European Football for non OF clubs in Scotland has been grossly over estimated in it's importance.

I can't imagine for a minute that the prospect of this short lived distraction would keep any player at Hibs.

The threats to his continued service at Hibs will come from Leagues 2 right through to the Championships in England.

Agree about the European football stuff. The prospect of playing a qualifier or two in Uefa's second or third tier competition is hardly going to make much of a difference if a club offers to double their wage.

Inconsequential
27-12-2020, 05:06 PM
Disagree. He might take the A1/M1 As of this moment he's under lockdown and won't be going anywhere. Unless a new job in the South is deemed absolutely necessary unlikely when his job is in Scotland.

Since90+2
27-12-2020, 05:09 PM
As of this moment he's under lockdown and won't be going anywhere. Unless a new job in the South is deemed absolutely necessary unlikely when his job is in Scotland.

I don't think covid would preclude him from moving down south in January. Not that I think he will be he'd be free to do so if he wanted.

Allant1981
27-12-2020, 05:29 PM
That’s obviously true, but if there isn’t such a huge difference in what he could earn it could be make the difference. Fwiw I don’t think anyone will come in and offer him 5x what hibs will be offering.

If anyone does come it for him it will be a championship team I'd imagine, he wouldn't be far off 5x his salary if they sign him on a free. For arguments sake, say he is on 3 grand a week up here, 5x isn't that much in wages for these teams

lord bunberry
27-12-2020, 06:09 PM
If anyone does come it for him it will be a championship team I'd imagine, he wouldn't be far off 5x his salary if they sign him on a free. For arguments sake, say he is on 3 grand a week up here, 5x isn't that much in wages for these teams
I think he’ll be on more than that and only the top championship clubs would be willing to pay over 20k a week. Obviously with the wage cuts he might find himself on a lower wage right now.

Allant1981
27-12-2020, 06:17 PM
I think he’ll be on more than that and only the top championship clubs would be willing to pay over 20k a week. Obviously with the wage cuts he might find himself on a lower wage right now.

Can't imagine we are paying a lot more than 3 grand a week but it's always possible, if he went to a decent championship team he will be earning a lot more than he is now, of that I'm sure we can agree, if someone offered me 10 grand a week with no European games or half that(again we don't know) with a couple of games against a team no one has ever heard of, I'd be away to the team paying more in a flash. Hopefully it doesnt come to that and he signs an extension up here

easty
27-12-2020, 06:20 PM

You’re right the £15k a month isn’t too much for many championship teams, but I’ll bet the majority of players earn less than that.

I don’t think there will be any Championship sides chucking £15k a week at Joe Newell, why would they? When they could prob get him to sign for less than half of that.

I think he’s great, and I hope we can get him to stay, but I’m not believing for a second that the wages he could get down south would be huge, not even close to £15k a week.

superfurryhibby
27-12-2020, 06:39 PM
You’re right the £15k a month isn’t too much for many championship teams, but I’ll bet the majority of players earn less than that.

I don’t think there will be any Championship sides chucking £15k a week at Joe Newell, why would they? When they could prob get him to sign for less than half of that.

I think he’s great, and I hope we can get him to stay, but I’m not believing for a second that the wages he could get down south would be huge, not even close to £15k a week.

I must agree. Newell probably won’t be going to a top six Championship side, if/ when he does leave Hibs .

Iggy Pope
27-12-2020, 06:40 PM
As of this moment he's under lockdown and won't be going anywhere. Unless a new job in the South is deemed absolutely necessary unlikely when his job is in Scotland.

My job is in Scotland but also necessarily in England. I can’t be alone. If he was having to follow lockdown laws like us proles then he wouldn’t have got beyond Newbridge yesterday!

Since90+2
27-12-2020, 06:43 PM
I must agree. Newell probably won’t be going to a top six Championship side, if/ when he does leave Hibs .

He wouldn't need to be at a top 6 side to be earning decent money though. There are alot of big clubs in that league.

greenlex
27-12-2020, 06:54 PM
My job is in Scotland but also necessarily in England. I can’t be alone. If he was having to follow lockdown laws like us proles then he wouldn’t have got beyond Newbridge yesterday!

I’m similar. At one point I was living in a level 4 travelling through a level three to work in a level two.

Squealing pig
27-12-2020, 07:00 PM
Some player , if he could add some goals to his game he’d be top notch

Allant1981
27-12-2020, 07:04 PM

Is the average wage in the championship not something like 30 grand a week, don't think its unrealistic to suggest he would get close to 15

Unseen work
27-12-2020, 07:33 PM
I’m hoping we can get a deal agreed with Newell.

He mentioned when he joined us he wanted a change as was fed up of the upper end of league 1/bottom end of championship every season.

Hopefully a potential cup win and European football can influence his decision.

Although he’s been good this season in a more central role I’m not sure he’s performed to a high level consistently enough for a decent championship team to buy him and offer significantly more than we would.

You’ve got to remember they’ll remember him from his years down south and might not see him as a central midfielder despite how he’s performed for us.

Yesterday is what I want to see him doing more for us, being brave and going past men and really driving us forward. Sometimes I think he plays it too safe which i understand him doing especially when he’s just in a two in the middle, but for me he’s at his best when he glides past opponents. I think having Gogic in there allows him to be a bit more creative.

Highwayman
28-12-2020, 09:43 AM
I’m hoping we can get a deal agreed with Newell.

He mentioned when he joined us he wanted a change as was fed up of the upper end of league 1/bottom end of championship every season.

Hopefully a potential cup win and European football can influence his decision.

Although he’s been good this season in a more central role I’m not sure he’s performed to a high level consistently enough for a decent championship team to buy him and offer significantly more than we would.

You’ve got to remember they’ll remember him from his years down south and might not see him as a central midfielder despite how he’s performed for us.

Yesterday is what I want to see him doing more for us, being brave and going past men and really driving us forward. Sometimes I think he plays it too safe which i understand him doing especially when he’s just in a two in the middle, but for me he’s at his best when he glides past opponents. I think having Gogic in there allows him to be a bit more creative.

I hesitate to put you Joe Newell fan boys gas at a peep,but I think you are putting too much on the boy too soon.I agree he is a joy to behold with his floppy hair flouncing and gliding past players.But the bottom line is how much damage did he actually do to Rangers on Saturday and Hibs left with nothing.There is not doubt that he has made a massive improvement in is game since he first arrived at Hibs,but he was starting from ground zero.I remember people coming back from pre season friendliest and saying what the hell have Hibs signed now,’’I’ve seen some honkers,but he’s one of the honkiest’’.Do you all recall who the November flavour of the month was,yes one Jamie Murphy (remember him).On Saturday Andy Walker was whining that Ryan Kent wasn’t having one of his better game.Typically failing to acknowledge that this was mainly due to Paul McGinn and the much maligned Drey Wright denying him the space to work in.It is too much to expect and maybe I have had too much eggnog over the festive season that Drey Wright could be flavour of the month for January.

JimBHibees
28-12-2020, 10:01 AM
I hesitate to put you Joe Newell fan boys gas at a peep,but I think you are putting too much on the boy too soon.I agree he is a joy to behold with his floppy hair flouncing and gliding past players.But the bottom line is how much damage did he actually do to Rangers on Saturday and Hibs left with nothing.There is not doubt that he has made a massive improvement in is game since he first arrived at Hibs,but he was starting from ground zero.I remember people coming back from pre season friendliest and saying what the hell have Hibs signed now,’’I’ve seen some honkers,but he’s one of the honkiest’’.Do you all recall who the November flavour of the month was,yes one Jamie Murphy (remember him).On Saturday Andy Walker was whining that Ryan Kent wasn’t having one of his better game.Typically failing to acknowledge that this was mainly due to Paul McGinn and the much maligned Drey Wright denying him the space to work in.It is too much to expect and maybe I have had too much eggnog over the festive season that Drey Wright could be flavour of the month for January.

Except of course Newell has been excellent for Hibs all season and to me has been the player of the season. Jamie Murphy is also an excellent player for us.

Allant1981
28-12-2020, 10:04 AM

To much too soon? You do realise he wasn't just signed last week, the guy has been one of if not the best player on the park almost every week this season and those pre season friendlies were at the start of last season when he was being played as a winger, guessing you haven't seen much of him this year

Greenio
28-12-2020, 10:26 AM
Has only really played for 2 other teams, Peterborough & Rotherham with both teams doing the yoyo between the top of the 1st Division & the bottom of the Championship. From that you can probably deduce that he doesn't like to jump around if he is settled and as things stand he is the main man in Hibs midfield.
Will be 28 in March and probably coming into his peak as a player. His good performances won't have gone unnoticed down south and the biggest risk of losing him is to a middle of the table English Championship team offering a wage we won't match. Other than that Hibs is a good fit for him and him for us. I think the Jack Ross factor will see him sign on for another couple of years so long as Hibs are willing to pay him another decent wage. Suspect he is already on good money so might not have to up it much.

P.S. no chance old firm will sign him. They won't rate him good enough and are probably right

Good enough for the Championship but not the uglies?

Highwayman
28-12-2020, 11:20 AM
To much too soon? You do realise he wasn't just signed last week, the guy has been one of if not the best player on the park almost every week this season and those pre season friendlies were at the start of last season when he was being played as a winger, guessing you haven't seen much of him this year

Point taken.If you check my earlier post please note that I acknowledge he is a fine player.Previous posts have stated they would like to see more direct assists and goals from him and I agree.Is he currently the same class as Scott Allan when Scotty was fully fit in form and firing on all cylinders.I think not.The thought of Scotty back at his best with him and Kevin Nisbet firing on all cylinders well we can but wish.Newell recently stated that he was happy at Hibs and wouldn’t be difficult to deal with re a new contract.With all the good publicity he has been getting is he and his agent now thinking maybe we should be more difficult to deal with.

Allant1981
28-12-2020, 11:42 AM
Point taken.If you check my earlier post please note that I acknowledge he is a fine player.Previous posts have stated they would like to see more direct assists and goals from him and I agree.Is he currently the same class as Scott Allan when Scotty was fully fit in form and firing on all cylinders.I think not.The thought of Scotty back at his best with him and Kevin Nisbet firing on all cylinders well we can but wish.Newell recently stated that he was happy at Hibs and wouldn’t be difficult to deal with re a new contract.With all the good publicity he has been getting is he and his agent now thinking maybe we should be more difficult to deal with.

Completely different player to SA, and when SA is fit and playing well he is one of the best in the country at what he does, having JN and SA in the same midfield will cause issues for lots of teams

superfurryhibby
28-12-2020, 11:56 AM

Totally different kind of player from Allan, not sure why you’re bothering to compare them really?

Fans of Hibs have been praising Newell all season and more. There’s been the occasional moan when results haven’t gone our way, but overall this season he’s been consistently good and that’s been recognised on here.

Is It On....
28-12-2020, 05:17 PM

Good player but I honestly can't see anyone paying him £15k per week. That is huge money outside the premiership.

On a different point, it shows just how poor Heckingbottom was as a manager as he didn't know how to get the best out of players. By getting rid of him, it let us see what His and Christian were capable off

jacomo
28-12-2020, 09:53 PM
Totally different kind of player from Allan, not sure why you’re bothering to compare them really?

Fans of Hibs have been praising Newell all season and more. There’s been the occasional moan when results haven’t gone our way, but overall this season he’s been consistently good and that’s been recognised on here.

Not totally different. It’s fashionable to pigeon hole players into very narrow specialisms these days, but at the end of the day they are both creative midfielders.

hibbysam
28-12-2020, 10:20 PM
Not totally different. It’s fashionable to pigeon hole players into very narrow specialisms these days, but at the end of the day they are both creative midfielders.

They couldn’t really be more different if you tried. Allan is a natural number 10, sits in the hole and makes things happen. Newell is a deep lying playmaker, doesn’t venture forward often, very tidy, keeps the ball and sets our tempo. It’s not fashionable, it’s the truth, they are totally different positions which require completely different skill sets, and the outcomes of their stats are completely different.

jacomo
29-12-2020, 09:07 PM
They couldn’t really be more different if you tried. Allan is a natural number 10, sits in the hole and makes things happen. Newell is a deep lying playmaker, doesn’t venture forward often, very tidy, keeps the ball and sets our tempo. It’s not fashionable, it’s the truth, they are totally different positions which require completely different skill sets, and the outcomes of their stats are completely different.

How about if one was a centre back and the other was a winger?

superfurryhibby
29-12-2020, 09:10 PM

Then you wouldn’t be comparing midfielders, which I was.

hibbysam
29-12-2020, 09:17 PM

It would still be two completely different players and positions.

BILLYHIBS
30-12-2020, 05:07 PM
Did not realise his father was ex Blackburn Rovers striker Mike Newell

He was some player

calumhibee1
30-12-2020, 05:11 PM

He was some player

Fastest Champs Lge hat trick or at least was at one point.

Pretty Boy
30-12-2020, 05:13 PM

He was some player

Is that actually true?

I've heard it before but wonder if there is some confusion with ex Motherwell player George Newell.

Brightside
30-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Is that actually true?

I've heard it before but wonder if there is some confusion with ex Motherwell player George Newell.

Correct. George is the son.

Andy74
30-12-2020, 05:17 PM
Is that actually true?

It isn’t and you’re right.

BILLYHIBS
30-12-2020, 05:17 PM
Is that actually true?

Alex Miller just mentioned it on HIBS TV ?

Andy74
30-12-2020, 05:19 PM
Alex Miller just mentioned it on HIBS TV ?

Well, Tanner did and don’t think Lexo knew any different.

BILLYHIBS
30-12-2020, 05:21 PM
Well, Tanner did and don’t think Lexington knew any different.

Might be cleared up at half-time like other previous gaffs :greengrin

The Modfather
30-12-2020, 06:44 PM
It’s not fair to single him out as he’s been on par with everyone else (which isn’t an endorsement) but tonight sums up Newell unfortunately IMO. St Mirren and Rangers he looked a real driving force and who we should build the midfield around, he’s followed those performances with an anonymous one tonight. We get more good than bad from him, but a common theme of his time with us IMO.

We still need someone to take these games by the scruff of the neck and be the catalyst to change the flow of the game.

DJ HIBBY
30-12-2020, 07:31 PM
It’s not fair to single him out as he’s been on par with everyone else (which isn’t an endorsement) but tonight sums up Newell unfortunately IMO. St Mirren and Rangers he looked a real driving force and who we should build the midfield around, he’s followed those performances with an anonymous one tonight. We get more good than bad from him, but a common theme of his time with us IMO.

We still need someone to take these games by the scruff of the neck and be the catalyst to change the flow of the game.

Wanted too much time of the ball and county pressed him into losing it time and time again. Didn’t help that Hallberg offered absolutely zero support whatsoever

The Harp Awakes
30-12-2020, 07:38 PM
Wanted too much time of the ball and county pressed him into losing it time and time again. Didn’t help that Hallberg offered absolutely zero support whatsoever

Newell has been excellent recently but he was very poor tonight along with Hallberg. Neither showed any urgency and their use of the ball at set plays was dreadful.

HibbyAndy
30-12-2020, 07:39 PM
Is that actually true?

I thought the same :agree:

But Tanner and Lexo did blether about Mike Newell being at Aberdeen for a wee bit so no idea if they have their wires crossed , Bit cringey if true and they got the wrong guy

The Modfather
02-01-2021, 05:40 PM
Another poor day at the office for everyone, including Newell.

Are we miss-using him? Are we asking him to play deep and be an out ball for the defence, but that will only be effective if we have movement and runners in midfield, not the static options we currently have. The biggest thing missing from midfield (among many things) is drive, energy & athleticism IMO. Newell was good at driving forward with the ball against St Mirren and Rangers, but nothing against Ross County & Livingston. Is that because of how he’s being asked to play or simply down to him being inconsistent?

He’s had many good games, but the ones where he’s poor/anonymous are creeping upwards. Off the top of my head:

Motherwell at home
Aberdeen home and away
St Johnstone at home
Ross County at Home
Livingston at home

1875Sean
02-01-2021, 05:50 PM
Another poor day at the office for everyone, including Newell.

Are we miss-using him? Are we asking him to play deep and be an out ball for the defence, but that will only be effective if we have movement and runners in midfield, not the static options we currently have. The biggest thing missing from midfield (among many things) is drive, energy & athleticism IMO. Newell was good at driving forward with the ball against St Mirren and Rangers, but nothing against Ross County & Livingston. Is that because of how he’s being asked to play or simply down to him being inconsistent?

He’s had many good games, but the ones where he’s poor/anonymous are creeping upwards. Off the top of my head:

Motherwell at home
Aberdeen home and away
St Johnstone at home
Ross County at Home
Livingston at home

Agreed he was poor today but still prob been our best player overall this season

DaveF
02-01-2021, 05:59 PM
He's been posted missing last 2 games when we needed someone to step up.

Allant1981
02-01-2021, 06:01 PM

Thought he was the only probably the only one who wanted the ball today, when the rest are gash there is only so much one player can do

Davy Mac
02-01-2021, 06:03 PM

Particularly when you are the highest paid player.

Centre Hawf
02-01-2021, 07:33 PM
I think the guy is brilliant. But I still think he would play best in a 3 with a more balanced blend of players. Him Magennis and Hallberg at the moment would be 3 that I'd like to see play in a 3-5-2 for a run of games.

We don't really have a good enough midfield to not play 3. I know we had Mallan in there today with Gogic and Newell but I struggle to really see the shape due to the fact we have Boyle in there as a lone winger with two strikers still, yet no one on the left?

Hibs90
02-01-2021, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't give him a new deal he is so inconsistent it's beyond frustrating, excellent for a couple games then utterly dreadful the next couple rinse and repeat.

Ozyhibby
02-01-2021, 07:59 PM
I think the guy is brilliant. But I still think he would play best in a 3 with a more balanced blend of players. Him Magennis and Hallberg at the moment would be 3 that I'd like to see play in a 3-5-2 for a run of games.

We don't really have a good enough midfield to not play 3. I know we had Mallan in there today with Gogic and Newell but I struggle to really see the shape due to the fact we have Boyle in there as a lone winger with two strikers still, yet no one on the left?

Can’t be that good if we have to go with one less defender to accommodate him?

Centre Hawf
02-01-2021, 08:12 PM
Can’t be that good if we have to go with one less defender to accommodate him?

It's a fair response. But you could say the same about Scott Allan, you would only really play him with 2 midfielders behind him. Gogic for example doesn't have the ability to play with the ball enough if he was in a pair and is better suited to sitting behind two that can. It's a fairly common theme in this league for players to be good at just one or the other. I think Joe Newell is clearly a talented laddie but he has a lot of shortcomings that means playing him, along with other midfielders we have that share similar shortcomings, in a 2 man midfield leaves us drastically short of the quality required to control games and generally create chances.

That's how I see it at least.

kaimendhibs
02-01-2021, 08:22 PM
Joe Newell ran the show at Ibrox. Him and Hallberg were starting to build a partnership. Ok, Wednesday was keek but dropping Hallberg was a mistake in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

J-C
02-01-2021, 10:57 PM
Newell the enigma, turns up he looks the bees knees when he can be arsed, when he can't be arsed disappears into the shadows never to be seen until 3 games have past, then up he pops again being sublime. This could be said about most of this team, very inconsistent and mentality wise very soft.

MrRobot
02-01-2021, 11:59 PM
Particularly when you are the highest paid player.

is he?

basehibby
03-01-2021, 12:32 AM
Newell the enigma, turns up he looks the bees knees when he can be arsed, when he can't be arsed disappears into the shadows never to be seen until 3 games have past, then up he pops again being sublime. This could be said about most of this team, very inconsistent and mentality wise very soft.

I think it's unfair to lump it all on Newell. Pretty much the whole team has been lacklustre for the last two games with Newell far from the worst although also far from a standout (there were no standouts in a Hibs jersey in either match). He was excellent at Ibrox - possibly his best outing thus far in a Hibs shirt - unfortunately he's unlikely to produce that every week as like all players he'll have his ups and downs. On the whole though I'd say he's been our best midfielder this season by a distance and so the inconsistency tag is not justified at all.

NB - another myth being propogated on this thread is that Newell is somehow a defensive liabilty - which is complete bollox - part of the reason he has been a first pick in our midfield is his ability to win the ball as well as use it effectively.

J-C
03-01-2021, 08:51 AM
I think it's unfair to lump it all on Newell. Pretty much the whole team has been lacklustre for the last two games with Newell far from the worst although also far from a standout (there were no standouts in a Hibs jersey in either match). He was excellent at Ibrox - possibly his best outing thus far in a Hibs shirt - unfortunately he's unlikely to produce that every week as like all players he'll have his ups and downs. On the whole though I'd say he's been our best midfielder this season by a distance and so the inconsistency tag is not justified at all.

NB - another myth being propogated on this thread is that Newell is somehow a defensive liabilty - which is complete bollox - part of the reason he has been a first pick in our midfield is his ability to win the ball as well as use it effectively.

Who's lumping all on Newell, read my post again, it's his inconsistency which goes through the whole team that means we are this up and down team. On his day he can be a joy to watch but his day is 1 out of every 3-4, unfortunately the whole team suffer from this.

We've not had a consistent midfielder since McGinn, he had 3 good games then one bad, total opposite from Mallan, Newell, Slivka, Hallberg etc.