PDA

View Full Version : Hallberg's corners...

Scotty Leither
26-12-2020, 01:25 PM
Time for someone else to take them, no?

He had 6 today and only one of them cleared the first defender. Same as Wedesday night against St Mirren, he seems to struggle to get any elevation on them.

We might have taken something today with better delivery and somebody attacking the ball.

Phil MaGlass
26-12-2020, 01:27 PM
Basic stuff,corners, he cant do right, mind you he is gettin a few games under his beltnand is gettin better. Someone else for corners and free kicks please

Vault Boy
26-12-2020, 01:28 PM
I don't think he's got too bad a delivery - but when you've got someone like Newell on the pitch, who's left foot is a bloody traction engine, I wouldn't have anybody else over the set pieces.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-12-2020, 01:28 PM
Eight corners and nothing from them.

ronaldo7
26-12-2020, 01:29 PM

He had 6 today and only one of them cleared the first defender. Same as Wedesday night against St Mirren, he seems to struggle to get any elevation on them.

We might have taken something today with better delivery and somebody attacking the ball.

Newells on the other hand were sublime, and just needing someone to stick a head on it.

CMac1988
With both Newell and Hallberg on I'd prefer Newell. Every now and then you're going to hit the 1st man or put it straight in to the keepers hands... Unfortunately for Hallberg that's happening more often than not.

GRA
When Mallan is out Newell should be on them. Some lovely deliveries second half unfortunate with no takers.

Pretty Boy
We looked far more likely when Newell took them.

Dublin07
26-12-2020, 01:30 PM

Against the best defence in the league. The defended them very well.

Frazerbob
26-12-2020, 01:31 PM
Why is Newell not on the corners? His dead ball is excellent.

neil7908
26-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Why is Newell not on the corners? His dead ball is excellent.

Yeah it's very odd.

bingo70
26-12-2020, 01:33 PM
People complaining that corners don’t beat the first man is one of my many pet hates.

If he’d pitch a few in with a sand wedge nobody would be talking about his corners hit they’d have offered zero threat.

All it takes is for one if Hallbergs to be 6 inches higher and it works out as a great delivery.

It’s a fine line and nowhere near as simple as ‘not being able to beat the first man’

BILLYHIBS
26-12-2020, 01:36 PM
Said last week get Hallberg off free-kicks now get him off corners never cleared the first man

Get Newell on both

Scotty Leither
26-12-2020, 01:37 PM
People complaining that corners don’t beat the first man is one of my many pet hates.

If he’d pitch a few in with a sand wedge nobody would be talking about his corners hit they’d have offered zero threat.

All it takes is for one if Hallbergs to be 6 inches higher and it works out as a great delivery.

It’s a fine line and nowhere near as simple as ‘not being able to beat the first man’

???- but none of them were 6 inches higher - that's how they were poor deliveries!

Lago
26-12-2020, 01:37 PM

Totally agree, said in the match day thread that they were totally wasted, Newell 's from the other side were so much more dangerous.

Since90+2
26-12-2020, 01:40 PM
A goal is scored on average from every 29 corners you get.

Useless fact.

ancient hibee
26-12-2020, 01:41 PM
There’s no zip to them,they’re lobs.Get Zitelli back to coach them.

bingo70
26-12-2020, 01:44 PM
???- but none of them were 6 inches higher - that's how they were poor deliveries!

It’s the point that people say ‘he cant even beat the first man’ (not necessarily on this thread, it’s a general point). He could just pitch it into the box but it wouldn’t be effective. He’s going for a much harder delivery that is likely to make him look ***** if it does come off, it’s worth far more to the team than simply just aimlessly chipping it into the box that would absolve him of any criticism but offer no threat though.

BILLYHIBS
26-12-2020, 01:50 PM
There’s no zip to them,they’re lobs.Get Zitelli back to coach them.

Nothing wrong with Newell’s delivery from set pieces

Hallberg’s delivery lacks quality

Saying that Hallberg was unlucky not to score

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Against the best defence in the league. The defended them very well.

Not sure that they were asked to do an awful lot with the corners though.

PPZPOL
26-12-2020, 02:18 PM
It’s the point that people say ‘he cant even beat the first man’ (not necessarily on this thread, it’s a general point). He could just pitch it into the box but it wouldn’t be effective. He’s going for a much harder delivery that is likely to make him look ***** if it does come off, it’s worth far more to the team than simply just aimlessly chipping it into the box that would absolve him of any criticism but offer no threat though.

It wouldn’t absolve him of criticism from me if he just chipped it into the box aimlessly. I think the frustration of not getting over the first man is something that is justified today as he has hit a few and none hit the mark. If they don’t beat the first man maybe there should be a plan B (e.g. someone in the front area to get a knock on).
When you play at Ibrox, like it or not, you will have to rely on set pieces to try and get something from the game and if those aren’t good enough people will rightly be frustrated.

B.H.F.C
26-12-2020, 02:21 PM

You can’t just keep doing the same thing if it’s no working. If he had just stood a few up they’d have been more of a threat than what he continued to do as we’d at least have had a chance to attack the ball.

His deliveries were rotten all day. Even his free kick at the end which didn’t hit the first man went right in to McGregor’s gloves.

bingo70
26-12-2020, 02:23 PM
It wouldn’t absolve him of criticism from me if he just chipped it into the box aimlessly. I think the frustration of not getting over the first man is something that is justified today as he has hit a few and none hit the mark. If they don’t beat the first man maybe there should be a plan B (e.g. someone in the front area to get a knock on).
When you play at Ibrox, like it or not, you will have to rely on set pieces to try and get something from the game and if those aren’t good enough people will rightly be frustrated.

Somebody above posted that goals on average goals are scored from every 29 corners.

It never worked for Hallberg today but I’d bet that if he keeps trying to get it ‘just’ over the front man we’d score more than one every 29.

If he just lobbed them in then there wouldn’t be a thread about his corners but we wouldn’t have been any more successful.

Hallberg has 6 assists this season, anyone know how many of them are from corners?

bingo70
26-12-2020, 02:27 PM
You can’t just keep doing the same thing if it’s no working. If he had just stood a few up they’d have been more of a threat than what he continued to do as we’d at least have had a chance to attack the ball.

His deliveries were rotten all day. Even his free kick at the end which didn’t hit the first man went right in to McGregor’s gloves.

Disagree. Standing crosses up would have been pointless today.

He was trying to do something that would have actually been effective rather than just giving the ball away. As i said, it never worked today but I think persevering with what he was doing was the right thing to do as it wasn’t far away from working.

wookie70
26-12-2020, 02:28 PM

Agree with that and I always think the attacking team should be trying to have a man in that first man position anyway

B.H.F.C
26-12-2020, 02:31 PM

He was trying to do something that would have actually been effective rather than just giving the ball away. As i said, it never worked today but I think persevering with what he was doing was the right thing to do as it wasn’t far away from working.

If you can’t execute what you’re trying to do, then it’s more pointless continuing it. He never gave anyone a chance to attack anything all day.

He shouldn’t have been hitting them after he’d done the same thing for about the sixth time.

What he did gave the ball away. What he didn’t do might not have.

Northernhibee
26-12-2020, 02:32 PM

Yep, and FWIW I thought Hallberg was good today.

Jones28
26-12-2020, 02:55 PM
I think Ross like in swinging corners which is why Hallberg had to be on them from the left and Newell from the right.

Magpie
26-12-2020, 02:56 PM
Where’s Stevie when you need him?

Bobby's Cinema
26-12-2020, 03:00 PM
Don't want to go overboard and hammer the guy but his delivery on set pieces hasn't been great. It's been clear for a while.
He doesn't spring to mind in the top 2 or 3 players in the side for putting balls in and striking at goal, I'm not sure how he has found himself in this position must be doing something right in training...

We were unlucky not to profit from some lovely balls in from Newell from the other side.

bingo70
26-12-2020, 03:03 PM
Don't want to go overboard and hammer the guy but his delivery on set pieces hasn't been great. It's been clear for a while.
He doesn't spring to mind in the top 2 or 3 players in the side for putting balls in and striking at goal, I'm not sure how he has found himself in this position must be doing something right in training...

We were unlucky not to profit from some lovely balls in from Newell from the other side.

He’s got 6 assists this season.

That’s a good return for the amount of games he’s played and type of player he is, I genuinely don’t knew where the assists came from but I’d guess a few will be set pieces.

B.H.F.C
26-12-2020, 03:09 PM

That’s a good return for the amount of games he’s played and type of player he is, I genuinely don’t knew where the assists came from but I’d guess a few will be set pieces.

Not sure any are. Maybe one that I’m not remembering, but I’m thinking they’re all from open play.

Bobby's Cinema
26-12-2020, 03:11 PM

I'm surprised to hear those numbers TBH but fair play. I'm just not sure he is the one we want taking strikes at goal from free-kicks and on corners.

CMurdoch
26-12-2020, 03:27 PM
It surprised me when Hallberg started taking corners and free kicks a few weeks ago. However, this hasn't just happened, this is something that Ross has decided, for whatever reason as a result of tactics or what he has seen in training.
It will be under constant consideration and Ross will change it if he doesn't like what Hallberg does.
Note - The absence of Doidge today would have affected corner and free kick tactics

brog
26-12-2020, 03:32 PM
I think Ross like in swinging corners which is why Hallberg had to be on them from the left and Newell from the right.

Hallberg was taking them from the right, ie outswinging, against Dundee Utd.

Mr. Wonderful
26-12-2020, 03:34 PM
Was clearly trying to hit them near post, Porto was making that run all day.

brog
26-12-2020, 03:37 PM

I agree in principle but they're really not getting close at all. Other than Doidge's early header against Dundee Utd, I can't think of any others where we've even had an opportunity to score.

Smartie
26-12-2020, 03:40 PM

I also thought that a couple of his “first man” corners were a decent near post runner away from being Henderson-esque corners.

On balance though, I think I’d have Newell on them every time. Or certainly from our right side every time.

brog
26-12-2020, 03:46 PM

I can remember 2, his free kick against Cove where Nisbet turned an average ball into a great goal & similarly versus Motherwell where, IMO, he was trying to find Nisbet but his cross reached Boyle at the back post. The problem with assists is, a 2 yard pass to someone who cracks in a 30 yard rocket counts the same as Scott Allan's worldies against Rangers & Dons last season.

FilipinoHibs
27-12-2020, 08:56 AM

Average a team scores from a corner in. EPL - once every 10 games. Better to have aa move from a corner than pump it. In.

PPZPOL
27-12-2020, 10:29 AM
Average a team scores from a corner in. EPL - once every 10 games. Better to have aa move from a corner than pump it. In.

Percentage wise though is that better (or worse) than scoring from an attack from open play? I don’t know the answer, but let’s say if you score once every 50 attacks then the chance of scoring a goal from a corner is significantly greater than a goal from open play? Hope that makes sense, does in my head😂