26-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Thought he done alright today.

Vault Boy
26-12-2020, 01:25 PM
Certainly did. Well played.

Sir David Gray
26-12-2020, 01:26 PM
Thought he did very well.

I had no concerns about him, he looked steady in the League Cup games.

GRA
At least four brilliant saves to keep us in the game. Considering this is the first game he's played this season where he has been seriously tested he came through it with flying colours.

Scotty Leither
I think he's braver than Marciano and uses the ball better with his feet, too.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-12-2020, 01:27 PM
Done enough to keep his place

CMac1988
26-12-2020, 01:27 PM
Had a really good game today. One of a few positives to take from today's game.

ABZHFC
26-12-2020, 01:28 PM
He’s like a hockey goalkeeper with his reflexes, I like him a lot, well played in difficult conditions

Pretty Boy
26-12-2020, 01:28 PM
Done really well.

I've seen a few comments saying the saves were right at him. However from that close range it's really difficult to stand up and the first 2 in particular were really good saves. How often do you see keepers flopping the wrong way in those situations?

He also looks comfortable with the ball at his feet, more so than Rocky.

Good performance in what was always going to be a tough game to make his first league start.

ancient hibee
26-12-2020, 01:29 PM
Did well in difficult weather.

MrRobot
26-12-2020, 01:34 PM

Definitely deserves to keep his place

1875Sean
26-12-2020, 01:36 PM
Think he has shown he is worth offering a contract in the summer, only 24 so still young for a goalie

flash
26-12-2020, 01:37 PM

No chance that Marciano doesn't go back in.

Booked4Being-Ugly
26-12-2020, 01:38 PM
Was worried about him when I 1st saw him play but was impressed with him today.

Happy to keep him in goals for the time being if he keeps performing at that level.

Frazerbob
26-12-2020, 01:38 PM
Thought he did very well but as soon as Rocky is fit he will be back in (and should be). Rocky has been excellent again this season. Great to have strong back again though.

basehibby
26-12-2020, 01:43 PM
He's looked really solid whenever called upon but today was always going to be the sternest test he's faced so far in a Hibs jersey. Glad to hear he impressed - well done Barnes :thumbsup:

lord bunberry
26-12-2020, 01:48 PM
Did well, but Marciano will be back in when he’s fit. Barnes is an on loan backup keeper and we want Rocky to sign a new deal.

CMurdoch
26-12-2020, 01:51 PM
Well done to the guy. That will boost his confidence which is good given we don't know if Rocky will be back against Ross Co,
Both him and Doig have played little football in recent months and both did the business today.

gaz1875
26-12-2020, 01:53 PM
He took a dangerous cross really early and held on despite being barged into, these are the ones Rocky spills. Good game and distribution was good.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-12-2020, 01:56 PM
No chance that Marciano doesn't go back in.

That would be the manager's decision.

Roxyhibee
26-12-2020, 02:01 PM
Barnes did more than alright. Very reassuring for us to see a second goalie of that standard.

wookie70
26-12-2020, 02:21 PM
I think it shows how important competition is. Barnes has no chance of a start unless he played well toady. He has done as much as he could with a very good performance. Doig has fallen out of the first team after struggling a bit and Lewis returning to the team strongly. He has done his chances of being picked no harm after an excellent performance. Our issue is that there is no competition up from particularly for the Doidge roll. Both Nisbet and Doidge have done well but having a third striker coming on and doing well would keep them on their toes.

Mr Grieves
26-12-2020, 02:45 PM
He was fine, made a few good saves but was hesitant in leaving his line to collect crosses. Rangers best 2 chances were from crosses into the 6 yard box which Barnes should really be attempting to catch.

EdinMike
26-12-2020, 02:48 PM
Said it during the game that I rate him, and seems capable which is exactly what you want in a keeper.

The 90+2
26-12-2020, 02:52 PM
I like him as I’ve said before. The more he plays the more he will more confident also.

Jones28
26-12-2020, 02:52 PM
Couple of good saves, I thought he was very good with his feet too.

Northernhibee
26-12-2020, 02:55 PM
Thought he was excellent.

givescotlandfreedom
26-12-2020, 08:53 PM
Impressive performance from him. Hope he kicks on, Rocky performs better with a rival.

Bangkok Hibby
27-12-2020, 04:48 AM
Whilst anticipating the onrush of blind Rocky love I'll start by saying Rocky is a good keeper and we're lucky to have him. He's a good shot stopper and has kept us in games. His failings have never led me to understand the "excellent" label though. I thought Bogdan was better and Barnes could be too. Hope he gets a run of games.

The 90+2
27-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Whilst anticipating the onrush of blind Rocky love I'll start by saying Rocky is a good keeper and we're lucky to have him. He's a good shot stopper and has kept us in games. His failings have never led me to understand the "excellent" label though. I thought Bogdan was better and Barnes could be too. Hope he gets a run of games.

Personally I would find out who is more likely to be here long term and play them if Barnes continues his decent form. A goalie needs first team games to improve and I’ve confidence in the lads potential. The Scottish lad for QPR hasn’t been impressive though (the old Livi goalie) so that might not work in our favour.

Souter96Mac
27-12-2020, 09:05 AM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but I'm pretty sure Barnes' contract with QPR runs out this season too. From what I've seen, I wouldn't be against re-signing him so far.

bigwheel
27-12-2020, 09:16 AM

I’ll give you the Bogdan v Rocky debate. It’s valid. But we have seen nothing from Barnes to suggest he is anywhere near the level of international goalie Rocky. Not saying he couldn’t be good for us - he may- but the fact he is not a regular first choice goalie at 24, while Rocky was playing internationally at that age ..they are not at the same level ..

He was excellent yesterday. Delighted for him. For me, It’s the second game in a row he has played when he looked decent.

For all Ricky’s faults , and there are a few, in his 4 seasons now , he has probably cost us about 4-5 goals in total. Can’t think of many keepers with that level of performance for us.

Since452
27-12-2020, 09:26 AM
I’ll give you the Bogdan v Rocky debate. It’s valid. But we have seen nothing from Barnes to suggest he is anywhere near the level of international goalie Rocky. Not saying he couldn’t be good for us - he may- but the fact he is not a regular first choice goalie at 24, while Rocky was playing internationally at that age ..they are not at the same level ..

He was excellent yesterday. Delighted for him. For me, It’s the second game in a row he has played when he looked decent.

For all Ricky’s faults , and there are a few, in his 4 seasons now , he has probably cost us about 4-5 goals in total. Can’t think of many keepers with that level of performance for us.

To be fair it's Israel he plays in goals for not Spain.

bigwheel
27-12-2020, 09:34 AM
To be fair it's Israel he plays in goals for not Spain.

He can’t change his nationality ...If Rocky was Scottish he would be getting selected for our international squad..

Barnes was excellent yesterday, but my main point is that Rocky has four years of good performance levels with us and more before us.

Barnes is 24 and nowhere near that level yet. His only regular football has been in non league or 22 games for Colchester...

I guess my real point is , I’d want to see 20 plus games from Barnes before I’d draw any conclusion over his performance levels. Rocky I already trust - he’s better than most keepers we have had

Phil MaGlass
27-12-2020, 09:46 AM
I have a feeling Rocky wont re-sign and Barnes will be his replacement

GreenCastle
27-12-2020, 09:55 AM
Rockys form dropped and Bogdan was very good.

Rocky has definitely been more consistent this season and he has been a great keeper for Hibs. I actually think he’s pretty grounded for a keeper and while he has his moments is just generally a good guy which can’t be under estimated. His family have settled into Edinburgh but you also get a sense how long will they stay and put up with the crap weather etc. They have a young child so that will also be on their mind whether to stay or move.

Barnes was really good yesterday and the whole back unit looked pretty solid.

Rocky has pulled off some incredible saves at times and kept us in games - I was definitely thinking yesterday Barnes showed he can pull off some good saves but the test will be consistency and focus.

I’m more concerned about if Barnes gets injured I don’t really fancy Samson going in goals. Surely we can get a 3rd choice ?

Also if Rocky has muscle injury that will be 3 or 4 weeks out easily depending how bad it is.

Speedy
27-12-2020, 09:58 AM
That would be the manager's decision.

That would be an ecumenical matter

(Sorry, was the first thing that came to mind :greengrin)

Pretty Boy
27-12-2020, 10:15 AM
I think that whatever happens with Rocky and Barnes we really need to be seeing what we have in Dabrowski next season. Be that League Cup games or staking his claim for the number 1 shirt.

He's had 3 loan spells now and by all accounts performed well. He'll be 23 by the time next season starts though and if he isn't at least pushing for Premiership football by then is he ever going to be? The days of goalkeepers being babied are long gone. From all I have seen he is a very decent keeper but we need to see if he can make that step up to 1st team football.

With that in mind I can't see both Rocky and Barnes being here next season. If they are it probably means one or both of Martin and Dabrowski moving on.

gaz1875
27-12-2020, 11:02 AM
He can’t change his nationality ...If Rocky was Scottish he would be getting selected for our international squad..

Barnes was excellent yesterday, but my main point is that Rocky has four years of good performance levels with us and more before us.

Barnes is 24 and nowhere near that level yet. His only regular football has been in non league or 22 games for Colchester...

I guess my real point is , I’d want to see 20 plus games from Barnes before I’d draw any conclusion over his performance levels. Rocky I already trust - he’s better than most keepers we have had

I don't think Rocky would be close to first choice for Scotland. He's also had a good few shaky moments and was dropped deservedly so during those. Of course Barnes needs more games to prove himself to take the number 1 jersey, but yesterday was a good gauge and he was pretty solid.

The 90+2
27-12-2020, 11:20 AM
I don't think Rocky would be close to first choice for Scotland. He's also had a good few shaky moments and was dropped deservedly so during those. Of course Barnes needs more games to prove himself to take the number 1 jersey, but yesterday was a good gauge and he was pretty solid.

That’s unfair. He’s number one for a nation just as good as us and has let in less goals that the Scotland goalies over a period we have played them.

gaz1875
27-12-2020, 11:27 AM
That’s unfair. He’s number one for a nation just as good as us and has let in less goals that the Scotland goalies over a period we have played them.

Have you seen some of the goals he's let in for Israel?

Unseen work
27-12-2020, 11:49 AM
Done well yesterday.

A couple of good saves which tbh I’d expect him to make as they were mainly right at him but he showed good reactions.

But positionally, kicking, saves and everything was good yesterday.

Delighted for him.

The 90+2
27-12-2020, 12:09 PM

I’ve seen some of the stops hes made also including two clean sheets against Scotland.

bigwheel
27-12-2020, 12:15 PM

Not quite sure the overall point you trying to make with your replies . Is it that you don’t think Rocky is a good keeper ?

For me , he’s one of the best in the league , and as good as any we’ve had since Goram. I include Leighton in that . Sure he’s made mistakes - show me a keeper that doesn’t ? He’s also had games that were out of this world in terms of performance levels ..overall he’s been excellent .

Barnes surprised me yesterday. Really good performance . Delighted for him.

Heisenberg
27-12-2020, 12:21 PM
Marciano will continue as first choice imo, albeit Barnes did well yesterday. Rocky has put in several similar/better performances over the years and deserves to come straight back in when he’s fit.

bigwheel
27-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Marciano will continue as first choice imo, albeit Barnes did well yesterday. Rocky has put in several similar/better performances over the years and deserves to come straight back in when he’s fit.

Despite me being a big Rocky fan, I’d have no problem if Barnes continues with the gloves if he keeps his performance levels up ...he’s certainly not done anything yesterday to deserve to be dropped

gaz1875
27-12-2020, 12:27 PM
Not quite sure the overall point you trying to make with your replies . Is it that you don’t think Rocky is a good keeper ?

For me , he’s one of the best in the league , and as good as any we’ve had since Goram. I include Leighton in that . Sure he’s made mistakes - show me a keeper that doesn’t ? He’s also had games that were out of this world in terms of performance levels ..overall he’s been excellent .

Barnes surprised me yesterday. Really good performance . Delighted for him.

My point was he wouldn't get into the Scotland team as I commented?

I think he's average plus, one of the best in a 14 team league I would rate him around 5th equal with a number of other keepers, and that's not including the Rangers sub keeper Mclaughlin. Leiighton was much better imho.

bigwheel
27-12-2020, 12:33 PM
My point was he wouldn't get into the Scotland team as I commented?

I think he's average plus, one of the best in a 14 team league I would rate him around 5th equal with a number of other keepers, and that's not including the Rangers sub keeper Mclaughlin. Leiighton was much better imho.

I was actually asking about your overall views tbh. Not one specific post.

But Average ...wow

Wonder what you thought of the Oxley’s , Maxwells and never min the Brown’s et al

gaz1875
27-12-2020, 12:43 PM
I was actually asking about your overall views tbh. Not one specific post.

But Average ...wow

Wonder what you thought of the Oxley’s , Maxwells and never min the Brown’s et al

Would you not take the keepers from Aberdeen, Dundee United, Rangers (2) and St Mirren in front of Rocky?

I wasn't a fan of any of these 3 tbh. Best recent keeper was Daniel Anderssen.

bigwheel
27-12-2020, 12:52 PM
Would you not take the keepers from Aberdeen, Dundee United, Rangers (2) and St Mirren in front of Rocky?

I wasn't a fan of any of these 3 tbh. Best recent keeper was Daniel Anderssen.

I wouldn’t actually. They are good though . Andersen was a class act too. Although was still developing when we had him...I obvs view Rocky higher than you do . I think he is right up there at the same level as those guys.