PDA

View Full Version : Boyle On The Left

Key West
25-12-2020, 07:45 AM
Merry Xmas to all the Hibees.

Should we consider playing Boyle on the left to negate Tavernier and either Magennis or Wright on the other flank?

ClermistonGreen
25-12-2020, 07:59 AM
Seasons greetings guys and a Merry Christmas to all the Cabbage :flag:

If you have Boyle on the left , I suggest a visit to the docs !

GGTTH

MWHIBBIES
25-12-2020, 08:00 AM
Better playing to our strengths, we'll never negate all of their threats

Key West
25-12-2020, 08:17 AM
Tavernier is the leagues top scorer, Boyle cutting in from the left would give him and their defenders a lot to think about. I don’t particularly think that it would be a negative move considering we will probably go with a 4-5-1 to begin with.

The 90+2
25-12-2020, 08:22 AM
Seasons greetings guys and a Merry Christmas to all the Cabbage :flag:

If you have Boyle on the left , I suggest a visit to the docs !

GGTTH

It’s actually a good idea. He could even the cut inside and shoot on his right.

J-C
25-12-2020, 08:23 AM
He can play there but isn't as effective as being on the right, although he's a natural winger he does cut inside a lot when out on the wing, giving you that extra option as a striker.

The 90+2
25-12-2020, 08:24 AM
He can play there but isn't as effective as being on the right, although he's a natural winger he does cut inside a lot when out on the wing, giving you that extra option as a striker.

Barasic is just as good as Tavernier thinking about it anyway.

J-C
25-12-2020, 08:35 AM

TBH I think Ross will play a 451 asking Boyle and Wright to sit a wee bit deeper and try to hit on the counter, we don't have the players to have a go at Rangers but we can make thinks difficult for them as long as the team works hard.

The 90+2
25-12-2020, 08:41 AM
TBH I think Ross will play a 451 asking Boyle and Wright to sit a wee bit deeper and try to hit on the counter, we don't have the players to have a go at Rangers but we can make thinks difficult for them as long as the team works hard.

Working hard in the middle of the park and full backs is something that worries me. At times it looks like treading water recently. I think we need something early doors.

jacomo
25-12-2020, 09:44 AM
It’s actually a good idea. He could even the cut inside and shoot on his right.

We’ve played him there before and he wasn’t very effective.

On the right he’s very effective. I would keep him there.

lord bunberry
25-12-2020, 09:57 AM
I had a bet on Boyle to score 2 or more in the Boxing Day game last season against the jambos. He’s 50/1 to repeat the feat tomorrow, he’s bang in form and the moneys down again.

The 90+2
25-12-2020, 10:40 AM
We’ve played him there before and he wasn’t very effective.

On the right he’s very effective. I would keep him there.

👍

Smartie
25-12-2020, 11:00 AM
Does our team for this one not pretty much pick itself?

Rocky out - Barnes plays.

Usual back 4.

Gogic had some outstanding games vs Sevco last season and we’ve been dominated by Rangers in that area just in front of our defence too often in recent years. So he plays.

Hallberg and Newell graft, get up and down the park.

Boyle wide right, Magennis wide left, Nisbet up front on his Tod.

A bit pragmatic but not sure what else we can do with so many important players missing from an already small squad.

Will we not be doing well to fill the bench for this one?

hibbysam
25-12-2020, 11:03 AM

Usual back 4.

Gogic had some outstanding games vs Sevco last season and we’ve been dominated by Rangers in that area just in front of our defence too often in recent years. So he plays.

I like it, Tavernier will have our left side to himself anyway, so overload the opposite side and hammer Barisic! Genius.

Jones28
25-12-2020, 11:08 AM

Usual back 4.

A bit pragmatic but not sure what else we can do with so many important players missing from an already small squad.

Agree with all of this. Gogic vital, he was very good against them in the earlier game this season too.

JammyDoidger
25-12-2020, 11:08 AM
I'd play Boyle upfront with nisbet in a 5-3-2.

goalie

Mcginn
Mcgregor
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Magennis
Gogic
Newell

Nisbet
Boyle

ancient hibee
25-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Jock Stein did that with Jimmy Johnstone to stop Brownlie in the League cup final. Huge mistake. Showed they were nervous of what we could do and Johnstone never kicked a ball all afternoon.

Squealing pig
25-12-2020, 12:08 PM
Hopefully Santa brought him a left peg if so

Unseen work
25-12-2020, 12:20 PM
Not for me, I don’t want to go into the game thinking I want our best/biggest threat going forward to stop Tavernier.

I want to go in thinking how can we use Boyle going forward to hurt them.

For me, with Magennis and Doidge our then Wright and Gogic come in and we got to a 451.

People have praised Wright for his defensive duties out wide so tomorrow would be ideal for him against Tavernier.

Hallberg will be the further forward of the three and in recent weeks we’ve seen he’s been going at going forward and making runs in behind. He will get success off this as both full backs for Rangers bomb forward.

Boyle will do what Boyle does and cause them all sorts of problems, also think we’ll look for his infield run in behind them often to catch them out.

Key West
25-12-2020, 01:07 PM
In a counter attacking Hibs team Boyle with his pace would be effective anywhere up front.

CMurdoch
25-12-2020, 08:50 PM

That was my thought. Oot the fryin' pan and into the fire.

PH91
25-12-2020, 09:38 PM
Not for me, I don’t want to go into the game thinking I want our best/biggest threat going forward to stop Tavernier.

I want to go in thinking how can we use Boyle going forward to hurt them.

For me, with Magennis and Doidge our then Wright and Gogic come in and we got to a 451.

People have praised Wright for his defensive duties out wide so tomorrow would be ideal for him against Tavernier.

Hallberg will be the further forward of the three and in recent weeks we’ve seen he’s been going at going forward and making runs in behind. He will get success off this as both full backs for Rangers bomb forward.

Boyle will do what Boyle does and cause them all sorts of problems, also think we’ll look for his infield run in behind them often to catch them out.

This for me. Magennis doesn't look fully fit nor does he look particularly quick so as much as wright hasn't been playing well I think he should start this one. At the very least he will put in a shift up against tav.

CMurdoch
25-12-2020, 09:47 PM
This for me. Magennis doesn't look fully fit nor does he look particularly quick so as much as wright hasn't been playing well I think he should start this one. At the very least he will put in a shift up against tav.

Can't see Magennis being available for selection after being withdrawn at halftime against St Mirren.
The bench could look pretty dodgy with the goalkeeping coach and the two players from yesteryear supplemented by the young guys Doig, Bradley & Gullan plus Steven McGinn

Hopefully we get most of Rocky, Murphy, Magennis & Mallan back for the Ross County game

Think Mackie is still a bit away the way Ross spoke about the injured players before the St Mirren game.

WeeRussell
25-12-2020, 11:54 PM
I had a bet on Boyle to score 2 or more in the Boxing Day game last season against the jambos. He’s 50/1 to repeat the feat tomorrow, he’s bang in form and the moneys down again.

Part of me thinks that’s a really good price. And the other part is telling me I’ll be delighted if Hibs can score twice.

Maybe both parts of me are right :)

Good luck regardless!!

18Craig75
26-12-2020, 07:19 AM
4-3-3 for me, which in actual fact would be a 4-5-1 most of the game.

Boyle and Wright on the wings and changed with getting up to support Nisbet but more importantly to give their fullbacks some defending to do. Boyle and Wright both pacey so jus the thought of the counter should give Tavernier and Barisic something to think about.

Drey also had his best game for us in the 2-2 draw earlier in the season, albeit playing 10.

Gogic/Newell/Hallberg - between them they all have the ability to break up play (Gogic), keep possession in tight spots (Newell) & energy to close their deep laying playmaker and to support Nisbet (Hallberg).

Defence picks its self. We have a really good mix to take points from them. But it’ll be hard and every player will need to be on it 100%, and I suppose we’ll need to ride our luck a bit like last time. I’m quite hopeful!

hibbydog
26-12-2020, 07:37 AM
I thought about Boyle v Tavernier. Mostly because of the cup final when Stokes kept drifting out to the left, cutting inside and getting shots in target. Tore him a new one.

But that was 4 years ago and Tavernier has improved a lot defensively since then.

Hope I’m wrong.

Key West
26-12-2020, 09:09 AM
I thought about Boyle v Tavernier. Mostly because of the cup final when Stokes kept drifting out to the left, cutting inside and getting shots in target. Tore him a new one.

But that was 4 years ago and Tavernier has improved a lot defensively since then.

Hope I’m wrong.

Stokes ripped him apart that day constantly going inside Tavernier who took a while to recover his form, I’m not convinced that he is that good defensively although he is very good going forward. I think it would also benefit more either Magennis if fit or Wright to be playing in this particular fixture on the right.

Smartie
26-12-2020, 09:31 AM
Stokes ripped him apart that day constantly going inside Tavernier who took a while to recover his form, I’m not convinced that he is that good defensively although he is very good going forward. I think it would also benefit more either Magennis if fit or Wright to be playing in this particular fixture on the right.

Tavernier needed his CH to play a bit closer to him that day. He was left brutally exposed.

I still think he's a rotten defender but they play so much on the front foot they've found a way to make the most of his attacking assets without exposing his defensive vulnerability too much.

I think the Rangers defence is rotten actually. The 2 games I've paid most attention to them they've lost 2 goals to us and 3 to St Mirren. I watched bits of one of their European games (home to Liege maybe) and they really didn't look too clever then either.

Going forward I think they're very good, and they've done well at getting a lead and then building on it.

I'm not sure if our weakened side will have enough to expose their vulnerabilities, but if we'd had Rocky playing and in the mood then their attack vs our defence might have been interesting.

I'm not convinced they're anything like as good as people make them out to be but I don't think we can realistically afford to be missing the number of key player we are missing and be competitive with them, so I expect us to lose by 2 or 3 today.

JimBHibees
26-12-2020, 09:39 AM

Usual back 4.

Think Magennis is injured had tight hamstring on Wednesday

Key West
26-12-2020, 10:30 AM
Tavernier needed his CH to play a bit closer to him that day. He was left brutally exposed.

I still think he's a rotten defender but they play so much on the front foot they've found a way to make the most of his attacking assets without exposing his defensive vulnerability too much.

I think the Rangers defence is rotten actually. The 2 games I've paid most attention to them they've lost 2 goals to us and 3 to St Mirren. I watched bits of one of their European games (home to Liege maybe) and they really didn't look too clever then either.

Going forward I think they're very good, and they've done well at getting a lead and then building on it.

I'm not sure if our weakened side will have enough to expose their vulnerabilities, but if we'd had Rocky playing and in the mood then their attack vs our defence might have been interesting.

I'm not convinced they're anything like as good as people make them out to be but I don't think we can realistically afford to be missing the number of key player we are missing and be competitive with them, so I expect us to lose by 2 or 3 today.

Rangers are a very disciplined side in terms of formation and tactics, playing Hibs probably suits them as it is not natural for us to sit in. I hope Jack can find a way and would be delighted with a point and ecstatic with a win.