PDA

View Full Version : RIP David Sneddon

judas
24-12-2020, 05:34 PM
Sneddon was part of the Kilmarnock side that won the league in 1965, scoring on the final day as they clinched the title (against Hearts who were their title challengers and favourites). Imagine Hearts Jambottling it on the last day of the season.

A Kilmarnock great, worthy of recognition.

The 90+2
24-12-2020, 05:47 PM
Thought you meant the guy from fame academy.

He was mentioned in Glue and a Killie great RIP.

brog
24-12-2020, 05:58 PM
Fine player. I was there on that great day & met another decent player, Mr Pat Stanton, on the Macleod St terraces.

inglisavhibs
24-12-2020, 06:07 PM
Sneddon was part of the Kilmarnock side that won the league in 1965, scoring on the final day as they clinched the title (against Hearts who were their title challengers and favourites). Imagine Hearts Jambottling it on the last day of the season.

Also a good manager and a very nice person. R.I.P

Is It On....
24-12-2020, 10:36 PM

Hearts lost on goal average so campaigned for goal difference in the future. Interestingly, Hearts would have won the league in 86 on goal average..but lost it on goal difference 😂

mim
24-12-2020, 11:33 PM
Fine player. I was there on that great day & met another decent player, Mr Pat Stanton, on the Macleod St terraces.

I was there that day too. Basically, because of goal average, Killie had to win by 2 goals. I vividly remember the Killie keeper making a terrific save in the last minutes from Alan Gordon.

A worse jambottling than 1986. :na na:

judas
25-12-2020, 11:20 AM
Hearts lost on goal average so campaigned for goal difference in the future. Interestingly, Hearts would have won the league in 86 on goal average..but lost it on goal difference 😂

😂 I had no idea 😂

It’s Jambottling with a twist.

eastterrace
25-12-2020, 11:53 AM
I was there that day too. Basically, because of goal average, Killie had to win by 2 goals. I vividly remember the Killie keeper making a terrific save in the last minutes from Alan Gordon.

A worse jambottling than 1986. :na na:they had to win 2-0 exactly or any other score would have gave the title to hearts. That’s what I remember at the time, as I went to the game with my dad who was a hearts fan.

brog
25-12-2020, 12:05 PM
they had to win 2-0 exactly or any other score would have gave the title to hearts. That’s what I remember at the time, as I went to the game with my dad who was a hearts fan.

Yes, 3 1 or any other 2 goal margin & Hearts would have won the league. As with 1986 there's also a Dundee twist. About 2 months earlier Hearts lost 7 1 at Tiny to Dundee. In 86, Hearts only needed a draw to win the league. In 1965 if they had only lost 6 1 at home to Dundee they would have won the league!

eastterrace
25-12-2020, 12:07 PM
Yes, 3 1 or any other 2 goal margin & Hearts would have won the league. As with 1986 there's also a Dundee twist. About 2 months earlier Hearts lost 7 1 at Tiny to Dundee. In 86, Hearts only needed a draw to win the league. In 1965 if they had only lost 6 1 at home to Dundee they would have won the league!
Thanks for confirming that as my mind a tad cloudy. Yes dundee seem to crop up a lot over the years.😂

CropleyWasGod
25-12-2020, 12:25 PM

I was at that Dundee game. Even at a young age, I felt an intuitive pleasure 😆

Golden Bear
25-12-2020, 12:48 PM
they had to win 2-0 exactly or any other score would have gave the title to hearts. That’s what I remember at the time, as I went to the game with my dad who was a hearts fan.

I was there as well with my late brother who was a hawrts fan at the time. Thankfully he saw the light a few months later and was a passionate Hibby for many years thereafter.

eezyrider
25-12-2020, 12:56 PM

I remember reading about that.
Hearts lost the league to Kilmarnock on goal average but would have won it on goal difference.
Then in 86 they lost the league on goal difference but would have won it if it had been goal average.

:faf:

EZ

ancient hibee
25-12-2020, 01:36 PM
T

Or if we hadn’t been given an offside Neil Martin goal when they beat us 5-3 at Easter Road. Their goal against Dundee was an Alan Cousin og.

eastterrace
25-12-2020, 02:10 PM
T

Or if we hadn’t been given an offside Neil Martin goal when they beat us 5-3 at Easter Road. Their goal against Dundee was an Alan Cousin og.
I was at the 5-3 game , just mind it was pouring of rain and it was raining goals as well. Hearts had a good side back then and so did hibs Dunfermline and killie. Think that was the top four in the league.

brog
25-12-2020, 02:59 PM
I was at that Dundee game. Even at a young age, I felt an intuitive pleasure 😆

IIRC we were at Morton that day but there was a bus strike & I couldn't get through. At last minute I went to Murrayfield for my 1st ever rugby game, Scotland Ireland. When we came out we heard the unbelievable Hearts score. We had a very happy walk back to Haymarket asking every Hearts fan we saw what the score was. Unfortunately we also lost that day, As did Scotland, & that really dented our hopes for the league. We finished 4th, ahead of both uglies.

mim
25-12-2020, 05:37 PM

I don't think that is right. Killie 'only' needed to win by 2 goals (or more), unless Hearts scored 6.
The final goals for and against were Killie 62 33 Hearts 90 49,
so before the game the goals for and against were Killie 60 33 and Hearts 90 47
If Killie had won 3-1, that would have been Killie 63 34 and Hearts 91 50, so the goal average would have been Killie 1.85, Hearts 1.82
Any 2 goal win up to 7-5 would have won the league for Killie.

I am not a mathematician, please check :wink:

Since452
25-12-2020, 05:49 PM

Maybe in years to come the team that miss the penalties will win the shootout.

RIP David

ABZHFC
25-12-2020, 06:42 PM
This thread has reminded me of a moment from a few seasons ago that gave me a chuckle.

Killie away, just a few days after their former chairman Sir John Orr had sadly passed away. As the teams are getting ready to do a minutes applause in his memory, their announcer reads out some things about him, including one of his favourite moments as a Killie fan being them winning the league at Tynecastle in 1965.

Cue an entire Hibs away end cheering at this :greengrin

https://youtu.be/A2xhGEXBOZY?t=250
^ The moment as captured on Sky Sports cameras above

eastterrace
25-12-2020, 09:45 PM
I don't think that is right. Killie 'only' needed to win by 2 goals (or more), unless Hearts scored 6.
The final goals for and against were Killie 62 33 Hearts 90 49,
so before the game the goals for and against were Killie 60 33 and Hearts 90 47
If Killie had won 3-1, that would have been Killie 63 34 and Hearts 91 50, so the goal average would have been Killie 1.85, Hearts 1.82
Any 2 goal win up to 7-5 would have won the league for Killie.

I am not a mathematician, please check :wink:that’s not what I remembered, I was told as long as hearts didn’t lose 2-0 they would win the league. Think you divide the goals against into the goals for and then work out the fractions, but I ain’t a mathematician either.

Iggy Pope
26-12-2020, 07:56 PM

Aside of the maths and what have you the wonderful thing is that a side getting a 1-7 doing at home could somehow be in a title decider. I hate modern football.