PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (St. Mirren 23 12 20)

Jonnyboy
23-12-2020, 08:59 PM
After that crushing disappointment when losing a late equaliser to Dundee United last Saturday, Jack Ross expressed the view that he’d never been angrier at his players but having reflected on the matter he decided to go with the same starting eleven.

It was the visitors that started the better of the two sides as Hibs seemed to struggle with their central two in midfield against the three of St. Mirren but having said that, St. Mirren didn’t really create anything of note. That was due at least in part to the fact that their final ball was poor but more so because Hibs were defending their goalmouth really well.

On the tenth minute mark, Cammy MacPherson tried his luck from distance, but his effort flew high and wide of Marciano’s goal. Against United, Hibs had dominated and created several scoring chances, but they were thinner on the ground tonight. A breakthrough did come however on the 18 minute mark when Newell picked out a clever run from Boyle. The Hibs wide man drifted inside and along the 18 yard line before prodding a pass towards Nisbet. The ball arrived slightly behind Kevin, but he sorted his feet out quickly, took a touch and then flighted his finish over the diving Alnwick and in to the top corner. It was a goal of real quality and seemed to spark Hibs into life.

Two minutes after the opener, Newell took a quick free kick which allowed Boyle to fire a low cross into the six yard area. Ryan Porteous looked certain to score but a late touch by McCarthy saw the ball deflected wide of the target. Porteous was again involved but in his own box this time as a cleverly worked corner by St Mirren saw Richard Tait break free from the huddle and try to get a strike on goal. Porteous saw the danger and made a fine sliding clearance just as Tait shaped to shoot.

Next, the prolific Jamie McGrath looped a header in on goal, but Marciano was happy to see it drop over the bar. Boyle was next to have a go, but his low shot was easily saved by Alnwick. It hadn’t been a dirty game although I felt at times that referee Steven Kirkland ignored some valid claims by both sides for free kicks.

At half time, Kyle Magennis was replaced by Drey Wright whilst St. Mirren removed defender Richard Tait and replaced him with the tricky forward thinking player Ilkay Durmus. That move necessitated Brandon Mason moving to left back where he would struggle with the pace of Boyle and ultimately pay the penalty for bringing him down once too often.

The visitors tried to get back on the front foot and a MacPherson effort came close, but Hibs were soon back in it and a Newell drive missed to the keepers left. Poor control from Doidge allowed St Mirren to break and a lovely cross from the left reached the unmarked Durmus some six yards out but his header was miles off target. It was a warning shot, and it was duly heeded as Hibs defended well whenever St Mirren had the ball.

McCarthy and Boyle then missed decent half chances before Hibs were forced into a substitution. I’ve no idea what happened to him, but Marciano had to be replaced by Dillon Barnes just before the hour mark. Moments later, Boyle was racing clear of Mason and the St. Mirren defender hauled him back, earning a justified yellow card in the process.

Barnes saw his first real action some ten minutes into his tenure when MacPherson sent in a powerful low drive which the Hibs keeper dived to save and push the ball behind for a corner. Moments later, a high and hopeful ball over the top seemed to catch Porteous out of position but as Obika broke free, Porteous quickly recovered and forced the big striker to take the chance on quicker than he probably would have liked. Obika’s attempted lob sailed comfortably into the hands of the Hibs keeper.

Fine play down the Hibs right saw Boyle, Newell and Nisbet picking out Drey Wright around fifteen yards from goal. The Hibs man threw his left foot at the ball and hit a shot that was going horribly wide. As it was, the ball reached Nisbet who struck his effort into the side netting with the goal gaping. Cliff and Tam on Hibs TV were saying Kev was offside because the assistant referee raised his flag. In fact, Kev was onside, and the raised flag was to indicate a goal kick.

In an effort to salvage something from the game, Jim Goodwin made a rash of substitutions with all of those coming on being either forwards or attacking midfielders. This would be a real test for Hibs, but they defended stoutly and broke when they could. Some fine short passing out wide on the right witnessed Joe Newell going on an incredible mazy run that took him to the bye line whereupon he tried to squeeze an effort in at the near post, but Alnwick got a foot in to clear the effort.

Into the last ten minutes, Jack Ross replaced Kevin Nisbet with Jamie Gullan, a change that I confess confused me a little, unless Kev was injured in some way though there was no obvious sign of that. Just moments after Gullan’s arrival, St Mirren were reduced to ten men when Mason hauled down Boyle out wide on the right, earning a second yellow in the process. Just two minutes later, poor control by Doidge allowed Obika to break forward. Big Christian went with him and eventually stopped his forward progress by fouling him, earning himself a yellow card.

St Mirren were chucking the kitchen sink at Hibs now, but excellent defending was holding them at bay. Two minutes from time, Doidge flung an arm out, trying to protect the ball but catching Ernahon in the face. The ref seemed to hesitate at first but then produced a second yellow for Doidge. From the resultant free kick, Kyle McAllister blasted a shot well over the top to the relief of the Hibs wall and keeper. Deep in to the five added minutes, Melker Hallberg was replaced by Alex Gogic and Hibs were able to see out the game and collect three valuable points.

Whilst we were nowhere near as fluid in terms of attacking play than we had been against Dundee United, we denied St Mirren any real goalscoring opportunities and that was down to strong mentality as much as physical ability. The Paisley side arrived on the back of a long unbeaten run and so the end result was all the more pleasing. One downside on the night was the dismissal of Christian Doidge who will presumably now miss the trip to Ibrox on Boxing Day.

The players

Marciano – Rocky didn’t have a great deal to do and it was disappointing to see him have to leave the field injured. I understand his calf was tight so hopefully it was just a precaution.

McGinn – Paul just gets better and better in my view. He faced various different players down their left and not one of them got the better of him.

Porteous – Lee Erwin is a big and experienced unit, but Ryan had him on toast. Even when Obika came on, Ryan coped admirably. He was unlucky that what looked like a certain goal was denied him just as he went to poke the ball home.

Hanlon – As Tam McManus said in commentary, St Mirren playing with a lone striker allowed our centre backs more freedom to break forward. Porteous did it a bit more than Paul but it was mildly amusing to see Paul popping up on the left wing at one point.

Stevenson – I think it is safe to say that Lewis looks back to his best. He defended very well at left back and on a couple of occasions tucked in to clear the danger when our centre backs were exposed.

Boyle – Martin is one of two players I thought of giving my man of the match award to. He edges it because he was involved in the bulk of our positive play going forward and when called upon, he was back helping out the defence, especially in the last fifteen minutes or so.

Newell – Joe came remarkably close to getting my man of the match award and in fairness provided two of the three best bits of play tonight. In the first he was surrounded in the centre circle by three St Mirren players and yet managed to keep the ball attached to his foot as he wriggled away from them. The other occasion was that stunning run into the box in the second half.

Hallberg – For my money, nobody played badly tonight but in a weird kinda way I felt Melker was our poorest at times. On the plus side he covers a lot of ground and is good at offering an out ball to team mates.

Magennis – For the first twenty minutes or so I thought Kyle was on the periphery of things and I’m in the club that feels he’s wasted out wide. He did have one effort on goal, but it was a difficult chance, and his effort cleared the crossbar.

Nisbet – His goal was a thing of beauty, even if he did make it look easy. Jim Goodwin basically described it as a moment of quality and I ain’t going to disagree. His miss in the second half though, was horrendous!

Doidge – Not one of his better games, though he did fully occupy their central defenders. His booking was justified but his second booking was stupidity on his part in my opinion.

Wright – Drey has taken some stick on here, from myself included, but I thought there was more about him tonight and that he had a decent 45 minutes. Once or twice, he picked out a great pass and defensively he was in there fighting towards the end of the game. I hope that 45 minutes will help build his confidence.

Barnes – It can’t be easy for a keeper coming in cold like that but apart from one daft decision to come and punch the ball he did well and made one smart and necessary save.

Gullan – As I said earlier, I was puzzled by his introduction in place of Nisbet but having thought about it, maybe his instruction was to stretch them wide and when possible, take the ball into the corner.

Gogic – A late substitution but a necessary one as St Mirren bombarded us.

Jack Ross - Pleased with the effort of his players and with the outcome of the game.

Referee – First time I recall seeing Steven Kirkland and I thought he had a bit of an up and down 90 minutes.

kaimendhibs
23-12-2020, 09:05 PM
Thanks again. Brilliant summary but I disagree about Halberg, I thought he and Joe did really well again together

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
23-12-2020, 09:11 PM
Good victory against a team unbeaten in 11 . Thought we should have had a penalty, when Boyle was pushed over in the box .
Heart rate in stoppage time was up in the hundreds but thankfully unlike Saturday, was unfounded. Merry Xmas all and cheers JB .

et_hibby
23-12-2020, 09:14 PM
Fair summary. Merry Christmas Jonnyboy.

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2020, 09:26 PM
👍🏿

Merry Christmas Jonnyboy

Many thanks for posting

It is like waiting on the Pink News coming in

Dan Sarf
23-12-2020, 09:36 PM
👍🏿

Merry Christmas Jonnyboy

Many thanks for posting

It is like waiting on the Pink News coming in

The Green Dispatch, surely? :wink:

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2020, 09:48 PM
The Green Dispatch, surely? :wink:

Before my time ...Sorry!

:greengrin

Unseen work
23-12-2020, 09:50 PM
Anyone know what was up with Magennis?

bayhibs
23-12-2020, 10:41 PM
Generally a fair assessment but I do have to challenge on your comments on Ryan tonight.
I felt he was all over the place with several errors in judgement.
In particular his sliding challenge in the first half was nowhere near the ball and could quite easily have resulted in a penalty

NAE NOOKIE
23-12-2020, 11:42 PM
A pretty bog standard league game that one, hardly a bad foul worth the name in the whole match, which makes it weird that there was two red cards.

Nobody was brilliant and nobody was rubbish, we weren't brilliant as a team and we weren't poor either in what was a reasonably good game to watch.

Best for us was Newell, what a clever and tidy player he continues to be every week, closely followed by Boyle who was involved a lot. Hallberg must be the player in this incarnation of Hibs who does that 'unseen work' thing I keep hearing about from managers and pundits because I'm buggered if I can see what it is he brings to the team. I don't dislike the guy, I just can't see what it is that's keeping him in the team.

Super finish by Nesbit ... but oh Kev how the actual **** could you put a chance like that two feet past the post? .... Given our propensity to chuck games in the last 5 minutes that could have cost us dear.

Still, they were on the end of an 11 game unbeaten run so it's a very good result for us, especially with Aberdeen dropping a couple of points. From the glass half empty point of view it makes our two dropped points against Dundee Utd all the more annoying.

Onceinawhile
23-12-2020, 11:45 PM
Nisbet - finish was riordan esque. That miss was a shambles

The ref: missed three penalties, 2 for them and one for us.

Doidge: eeesh.

smack
23-12-2020, 11:49 PM
A pretty bog standard league game that one, hardly a bad foul worth the name in the whole match, which makes it weird that there was two red cards.

Nobody was brilliant and nobody was rubbish, we weren't brilliant as a team and we weren't poor either in what was a reasonably good game to watch.

Best for us was Newell, what a clever and tidy player he continues to be every week, closely followed by Boyle who was involved a lot. Hallberg must be the player in this incarnation of Hibs who does that 'unseen work' thing I keep hearing about from managers and pundits because I'm buggered if I can see what it is he brings to the team. I don't dislike the guy, I just can't see what it is that's keeping him in the team.

Super finish by Nesbit ... but oh Kev how the actual **** could you put a chance like that two feet past the post? .... Given our propensity to chuck games in the last 5 minutes that could have cost us dear.

Still, they were on the end of an 11 game unbeaten run so it's a very good result for us, especially with Aberdeen dropping a couple of points. From the glass half empty point of view it makes our two dropped points against Dundee Utd all the more annoying.

And the 2 dropped against Celtic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aldo
24-12-2020, 06:34 AM
Johnny thanks for that. The only thing I will disagree with is your MoTM. For me it was Joe Newell who edged it. Boyle looks like he’s getting back to his best but Joe shades it!

Merry Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenbeard
24-12-2020, 07:36 AM
Uncomfortable viewing last quarter when again we resorted too often to hoofball, repeatedly giving possession away, so much so I felt sure Dave Zhavu was going to score a late equaliser. TF we held out for the three points and Well for one to make it a good evening overall.

Peevemor
24-12-2020, 07:49 AM
Uncomfortable viewing last quarter when again we resorted too often to hoofball, repeatedly giving possession away, so much so I felt sure Dave Zhavu was going to score a late equaliser. TF we held out for the three points and Well for one to make it a good evening overall.I agree that there was too much hoofball toward the end, but I don't think it was by choice.

If the opposition are piling men forward and playing hopeful long balls, that forces us to sit deeper where there's often no room or time to do anything than to clear the ball and try to find someone lingering on the halfway line.

What are the players meant to do when they're under the cosh?

I find it funny when people complain about us sitting too deep, especially against the old firm, when the vast majority of the time it's not by choice. There are times when it looks like JR is maybe willing to surrender possession and hit on the counter, but I'm sure he'd rather we control games as we did for most of Saturday. Unfortunately the opposition and the players we have available can often dictate otherwise.

Highwayman
24-12-2020, 10:20 AM
Generally a fair assessment but I do have to challenge on your comments on Ryan tonight.
In particular his sliding challenge in the first half was nowhere near the ball and could quite easily have resulted in a penalty

I tend to agree with Johnnyboys assessment on Porteous.Is this a one off view on Porteous or do you have ongoing doubts about him.I know different people have different opinions on players.I even know someone who doesn’t rate Paul McGinn.

superfurryhibby
24-12-2020, 10:57 AM
As good summary, as always.

Like a couple of others, I would have given Newell my MOTH. He was composed in possession and made the game look simple with the way he finds space to pick a pass, or holds the ball when there’s nothing on.

Boyle was decent, but there were a couple of times when he had the chance to take the man on from deep and turned back. The whole of the park was open to him if he beat the guy. It was late on in the game so maybe he had been told to keep the ball, but I found it a bit odd.

Defence was generally strong, with Stevenson looking back to his best. Both Hanlon and Porteous showed a willingness to push forward on the ball. Something they’re both well capable of. McGinn was quiet going forward and maybe lost his man a bit for the header they guy should have scored from, but overall he looked solid.

I thought Wright did a good job when he came on. He helped eliminate the threat down our left and was able to push forward and support the front players too. Hallberg was quiet overall. I missed the start of the match and it took me a while before I realised he was actually playing.

I thought St Mirren were fairly decent. They always tried to take the game to us and passed the ball around pretty well, albeit that they lacked any cutting edge.

jakedance
24-12-2020, 11:19 AM
Thanks Johnnyboy. Always a good read and pretty much the only match report I bother with these days.

brog
24-12-2020, 03:07 PM
Good stuff as ever John & thanks for clarifying that Kevin was onside when he missed that great chance. I thought my eyes were deceiving me & I wondered what Cliff was talking about. It was good to welcome Cliff back though after Saturday! I thought Hallberg had one of his better games last night but like you I thought he was still our poorest performer & I remain unconvinced.

JimBHibees
24-12-2020, 03:11 PM

Personally think Porteous is playing really well at the moment seems to be developing a presence at centre back. Big game for him and all the defence on boxing but think he is developing well.