PDA

View Full Version : Newell and Hallberg

kaimendhibs
23-12-2020, 07:25 PM
Two much maligned players at first but doing a great job in our midfield together now. Have a good understanding and partnership

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
23-12-2020, 07:26 PM
Yep, Gogic got a lot of work to get back into the team.

The 90+2
23-12-2020, 07:28 PM
Hallberg shouldn’t be included in the praise Newell gets.

Iggy Pope
23-12-2020, 07:29 PM
I never seen a lot of Hallberg in that 90 mins if I’m honest. Good or bad.

ancient hibee
23-12-2020, 07:30 PM
Would play Gogic on Saturday and push Newell further forward to link up with Nisbet.

rossevenil
23-12-2020, 07:35 PM
Thought Hallberg had a decent game and tried to keep the ball moving,don`t remember many loose passes and looks like growing in confidence.

Love watching Newell with the ball at his feet but jeez get him on the training pitch practicing striking a shot with that left foot of his,think every game in about the last 6 he has had a decent chance for a shot on goal and
seems to scuff them or they are totally powder puff efforts

Andy74
23-12-2020, 07:39 PM

Agree. Should get his own praise for the job he has been doing alongside him.

When you play 2 in there they need to bring a bit of everything and they both have done.

Newell has that extra bit of class but they’ve both been excellent since joining up together in there.

lucky
Newell was great again we need to get him signed up on a new contract but I fear he’s already bound the English Championship next season.

wookie70
Hallberg was a bit quieter tonight and not as involved but at last we have a centre midfield partnership who are both all rounders. I think Gogic will come in for Doidge on Boxing Day to give us more muscle in the middle of the park. Wright did his chances of an Ibrox start some good tonight with a very hardworking 45. Not going to be easy but we have a good team that is playing well consistently and who look like they all trust each other and now know their roles.

thegaffer12
23-12-2020, 07:41 PM
I thought Hallberg was cracking tonight, was always thinking a step ahead and pushing the game on. Everything good about Newell tonight has already been said.

Ozyhibby
23-12-2020, 07:41 PM
Newall was good tonight. Worked harder off the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenNWhiteArmy
23-12-2020, 07:54 PM
Can't be many teams successfully playing a 442 formation these days?

JR has us set up fairly well in that set up and whilst neither are renowned for their defensive capabilities they've found the balance spot on in defending and attacking

Both deserve huge credit

Brightside
23-12-2020, 07:59 PM

He’s done nothing wrong in his last few games. Does the boring stuff well.

Pretty Boy
23-12-2020, 08:00 PM
Newall should have been MOTM tonight. He was everywhere.

kaimendhibs
23-12-2020, 08:00 PM
Newall should have been MOTM tonight. He was everywhere.I agree 100 per cent

bingo70
23-12-2020, 08:14 PM
Two much maligned players at first but doing a great job in our midfield together now. Have a good understanding and partnership

Newell hasn’t been much maligned for ages?

He’s a hugely popular player and only really got criticised when Heckingbottom played him as a winger. He was absolutely hopeless there so I don’t think I was wrong to criticise him when I did, he’s been excellent in midfield for a long time though.

B.H.F.C
23-12-2020, 08:17 PM
Newell was best player on the park tonight for me. I didn’t think he got much help from Hallberg and was having to try and do everything at times.

allezsauzee
23-12-2020, 08:18 PM
Newell is class. Ball retention and composure is superb. I'm hoping we get him signed up for longer.

The Spaceman
23-12-2020, 08:19 PM
I reckon Newell will be Championship bound in the summer. He was quite well rated before coming up here and has been immense this season. Would absolutely sign him up for longer, but have a feeling he’ll be away.

Robbo6-2
23-12-2020, 08:23 PM
Newell has been our best player this season.

Really hope he signs a new contract as he is approaching his peak and will be a top player in our league for a long time to come.

Not convinced he will stay tbh, especially with covid etc he will maybe want to get back down the road to be closer to his family.

kaimendhibs
23-12-2020, 08:26 PM
Newell hasn’t been much maligned for ages?

He’s a hugely popular player and only really got criticised when Heckingbottom played him as a winger. He was absolutely hopeless there so I don’t think I was wrong to criticise him when I did, he’s been excellent in midfield for a long time though.As he is with me. But even recently hes been slated, can only do it against the weaker teams, hides etc etc

JohnMcM
23-12-2020, 08:26 PM
These two are surely going to go from strength to strength as a partnership for us. There will be bumps along the way for sure but I wait in anticipation of very good things.

MrRobot
23-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Agree. Should get his own praise for the job he has been doing alongside him.

When you play 2 in there they need to bring a bit of everything and they both have done.

Newell has that extra bit of class but they’ve both been excellent since joining up together in there.

:agree:

both of them are doing very well for us at the moment.

Brooster
23-12-2020, 08:35 PM

Spot on. Newell is playing very well, Hallberg brings nothing to the party.

bingo70
23-12-2020, 08:40 PM

Has he not got about 5 assists this season?

Pretty good for the amount of games he’s had

Northernhibee
23-12-2020, 08:42 PM

Yep, he's been very good for us this season. Has also played in a couple of different positions and bagged a couple of goals.

Brooster
23-12-2020, 08:48 PM
Yep, he's been very good for us this season. Has also played in a couple of different positions and bagged a couple of goals.

Haha he's on par with Wright. Not good enough.

MrRobot
23-12-2020, 08:49 PM

5 assists and 1 goal so far.

bingo70
23-12-2020, 08:50 PM

We’re also third in the league and everyone so far has contributed to that.

I’m not a fan of Drey Wright at all but maybe it’s time to take a step back and accept we don’t get to where we are in the league carrying passengers.

There’s players in the team that maybe offer things to the team that isn’t that clear when watching the game on the tele. Hallberg may not be doing anything spectacular but he’s clearly contributing something.

I don’t see the rush to get rid of players.

Tyler Durden
23-12-2020, 08:57 PM

Not sure how you can watch the recent games and hold that opinion.

Andy74
23-12-2020, 09:01 PM

I’m not a fan of Drey Wright at all but maybe it’s time to take a step back and accept we don’t get to where we are in the league carrying passengers.

There’s players in the team that maybe offer things to the team that isn’t that clear when watching the game on the tele. Hallberg may not be doing anything spectacular but he’s clearly contributing something.

There was a Director on a Board I was on that used to have a saying that perfection was the enemy of the good.

The point was that the constant striving for a level of perfection that was just never going to happen was actually getting in the way of delivering what would really have been very good results.

You can say it is high standards, ambition, whatever, but if it isn’t grounded in reality and you can’t accept when something is actually good then it becomes destructive if misdirected.

B.H.F.C
23-12-2020, 09:02 PM

This isn’t really intended as a criticism of us, but I think the quality (lack of) in the league is allowing us to get by with certain players in certain games. I think we are far superior, as the table shows, to eight teams in the league.

I wouldn’t necessarily judge us just on a game against Rangers, but will be interesting to see how the likes of Hallberg perform on Saturday. I’m not expecting him to go and dominate the game but I want to see how he competes.

Tyler Durden
23-12-2020, 09:22 PM

Exactly. We also have a number of fairly young pros who might not be consistent for 10 games on the bounce.

But Magennis, Mallan, Hallberg, Wright, Gullan, Doig, Mackie... they’re all playing a part in a very good season to date. Some will develop into consistent starters and others may play more of a supporting role. It’s a squad game.

hibee-boys
23-12-2020, 09:57 PM
Good to see Joe in a few more forward positions tonight, really think he is wasted sitting too deep, clearly has the ability and skill offer more further up the park as well as being able to retain possession.

Unseen work
23-12-2020, 09:59 PM
What I’ve really liked about Hallberg is his runs into forward positions and getting beyond the strikers.

He done it well v Motherwell where he assisted Boyle.

Against Hamilton he made the run in behind and hit a left foot half volley.

Against Dundee United he made a good run forward, held onto it and slid Doidge through who missed the 1 on 1.

Hopefully he continues this and keeps creating and scoring goals. As a midfielder there’s nothing harder to defend than your opposition dragging you all over the pitch and taking you places you don’t want to go. If he continues with that and helps dominate in the middle of the park I’m happy.

I also think his ability and composure on the ball is a big reason in our upturn of performances. Gogic is limited on the ball and made our football not flow as easily, having Newell and Hallberg gives us the option of both being able to spray the ball about and play under pressure.

Centre Hawf
24-12-2020, 05:27 PM
Joe Newell has been utterly brilliant since he was moved to CM and nailed that role down in the build up to the league shutting down. The guy is a Rolls Royce of a centre mid and it absolutely frustrates me that Heckingbottom signed him as a winger when from day 1 we had this guy sitting there capable of these performances. Perhaps even some lads like Vela would have benefitted from having him in the midfield with him too, but who knows.

I do worry he's away, I imagine he has a half decent reputation down south still and his performances this season will probably see some clubs (maybe even a Sunderland/Portsmouth etc) try to tempt him on a free for probably a good couple grand more than we'll be paying him. I hope he'll stay because the man has been a joy to watch sometimes.

basehibby
25-12-2020, 01:52 AM
Newell has been our General in midfield this season with some great performances worthy of the sobriquet "silky" and the question on everyone's lips has become who to play with him as opposed to whether he starts - and happily enough, we are blessed with a few good options in that department.

Mallan has great creative talents, Gogic is an uncompromising force and Hallberg is a good all rounder. All are good footballers and you could imagine any two from the four forging a formidable midfield partnership. Right now Hallberg is the man in possession of that second midfield jersey and I'm glad to see him proving some of his doubters wrong - still plenty time this season for the likes of Mallan to do the same though.