PDA

View Full Version : 3rd at Christmas

Hibeesforever
23-12-2020, 07:22 PM
What a great evening's work, when were we last third at Christmas?

Baldy Foghorn
23-12-2020, 07:25 PM

Great points total thus far. Ironic no fans in to witness it:flag:

bigwheel
23-12-2020, 07:26 PM

Yeah true. As consistent as I can recall for a long long time

DaveF
23-12-2020, 07:28 PM
It's a brilliant achievement. We may not have been too good to watch at home sometimes but 3rd is excellent.

Mon Dieu4
23-12-2020, 07:30 PM
I would have bitten your hand off to be in this position at the start of the season, considering we have been without Allan and Murphy who I rate as our two best players for long spells then there is even more hope going forward, think we have the makings of a really good team

Jim44
23-12-2020, 07:40 PM

Yeah true. As consistent as I can recall for a long long time

It's a brilliant achievement. We may not have been too good to watch at home sometimes but 3rd is excellent.

:agree: :thumbsup: :hibees

Isn’t the Internet wonderful? I remember, 40 years ago, standing on the terracing, brass monkey weather, scraping a 1-0 win with a scrappy performance but walking along Albion Road, feeling like a million dollars and not wasting time looking for faults. Wasn’t ignorance and easy pleasure bliss? Now about that rubbish tonight ....... :greengrin

Ringothedog
23-12-2020, 07:49 PM
:agree: :thumbsup: :hibees

Isn’t the Internet wonderful? I remember, 40 years ago, standing on the terracing, brass monkey weather, scraping a 1-0 win with a scrappy performance but walking along Albion Road, feeling like a million dollars and not wasting time looking for faults. Wasn’t ignorance and easy pleasure bliss? Now about that rubbish tonight ....... :greengrin

Ayr United on. Christmas Eve in front of 4000 fans 🇳🇬🇳🇬

Since452
23-12-2020, 07:57 PM

Good question. Under Mowbray maybe? McLeish?

Pretty Boy
23-12-2020, 08:08 PM
I don’t think anyone can argue about our league position. 3rd place at this point in the season is good going.

Up until recently our performance level may have been a bit of a cause for concern but we seem to have been consistently better in recent weeks (I accept tonight was probably the worst we have played in 3 or 4 games but the point stands).

Big test on Saturday and Aberdeen due at ER again soon. We’ll learn a lot from those 2 games, particularly the latter. So far, so good though.

tamig
23-12-2020, 08:18 PM
2009 maybe? Apologies for dredging up this game. Dream start then Maka did his stuff...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8423526.stm

Col2
23-12-2020, 08:20 PM
Can’t argue with that. Three defeats - Aberdeen twice and Celtic once.

Fairly consistent and away record the best in the league.

Hopefully reach st least none cup final - well placed for the league cup.

tamig
23-12-2020, 08:25 PM
Can’t argue with that. Three defeats - Aberdeen twice and Celtic once.

Fairly consistent and away record the best in the league.

Hopefully reach st least none cup final - well placed for the league cup.

The hun away record is better than ours unfortunately.

Hibeesforever
23-12-2020, 08:43 PM
2009 maybe? Apologies for dredging up this game. Dream start then Maka did his stuff...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8423526.stm
Thanks for posting that, a bad result as you say, and we led through Stokes! Still relatively rare territory to be third at Christmas!

Bobby's Cinema
23-12-2020, 08:44 PM
Tremendous and great progress.

IMO aswell as continuing to pick up 3 points consistently there has been a noted upturn in performances and free-flowing play from us in recent weeks for me vs results earlier in the season.

Well done Hibs. Well done JR. All the best everyone over Christmas:aok:

Unseen work
23-12-2020, 09:01 PM
It’s a brilliant first half of the season.

People speak about big games and how we don’t do well in them, I would class tonight as a big game when you think how well St Mirren have done lately and we turned up and got the win.

Really like Jack Ross as a manager and excited to see what he will achieve with us, he’s got us 3rd in the league and in the semi final of a cup where we are favourites to win. The points tally and ratio of wins, draws and losses is also very encouraging for this stage of the season.

Im really looking forward to the business we do in January as he’s mentioned numerous times the best time to strengthen us when you’re doing well, I also think Ron Gordon will back this and trust Ross even more after seeing what he’s done so far.

A couple of good additions in January and were in a very good position.

Hopefully Magennis and Murphy can sort their injury problems and Allan is better soon as those 3 will again make a huge difference to the team.

Northernhibee
23-12-2020, 09:05 PM
Irrelevant of whether or not we've been playing well, we've consistently been picking up points and that's been excellent. Our summer signings by and large look like money well spent and we've been able to bring through a couple of youngsters to get some first team game time.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Sunderland have gotten worse since he left.

matty_f
23-12-2020, 10:08 PM
I think we’re in great shape, to be in 3rd at Christmas is fantastic. I don’t think we’ve played nearly as badly as has some would have you believe, though i do think we’re still have another gear to find if/when everyone is available again.

Jack Ross has been a great appointment, we’re picking up points regularly, you can see us learning from mistakes and can see the team improving.

It’s a real shame that we’re not in the stadium to see the team in the flesh, we should be absolutely buzzing about this season so far.

tamig
23-12-2020, 10:12 PM
Irrelevant of whether or not we've been playing well, we've consistently been picking up points and that's been excellent. Our summer signings by and large look like money well spent and we've been able to bring through a couple of youngsters to get some first team game time.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Sunderland have gotten worse since he left.

I think the difference now is that we are putting in some good performances and playing good football for large periods of games. We’re creating a lot of chances going forward but the finishing could be better - Saturday being a case in point. When we were picking up points earlier in the season the performances didn’t really merit the end result in a few games. Things are definitely on the up.

Sir David Gray
23-12-2020, 10:30 PM
To be 3rd at Christmas is a great achievement and a huge sign of improvement in the last year or so since Ross took over.

Our performance levels aren't always the best if I'm totally honest but I'm happy to overlook that if we continue picking up points. 36 points at the half way point is very good and that sort of points per game ratio puts us in the mix for 3rd place.

KingPat4
23-12-2020, 10:43 PM

I was there. And that was the Turnbull era.

KingPat4
23-12-2020, 10:54 PM
I thought that, like Saturday, we were great to watch at times tonight. St Mirren are a good side. However there is still the feeling we could be even better. The Murphy injury is a pain because I think he really has a lot to give, we all know about Scott and Sean Mackie is starting to look like a player with a great attitude. Boxing Day is massive. Ryan will be wound up, let's just hope he keeps the rash stuff in check.

:flag:

NAE NOOKIE
24-12-2020, 12:12 AM
You cant really complain about where we are, 3rd at this stage is as good as anybody could have expected. I highly doubt we will pick up anything at Ibrox, but who has this season? ... if we do it will be a tremendous result, not to mention a real confidence booster.

The thing is that we are a team who could clearly still improve and if we can add just a wee bit more quality we could push Aberdeen all the way for third, not to mention give ourselves a real shot in the League cup .... as tonight's game and our last outing against St Johnstone showed we can't expect anything other than a tough match in the semi final, or the final should we make it, I see Livvi have hit a bit of form too winning their last 5 games.

Onwards and upwards though :flag:

cabbageandribs1875
24-12-2020, 12:31 AM
strangely we play Sevco again at ER before we face Aberdeen again, just five games after saturday Sevco are at ER(27th Jan), bizarre :confused: even more bizarre is the league have us playing a game inbetween sellick and Sevco this time(killie at ER) they do like us playing the gruesome twosome one after the other in recent times

The 90+2
24-12-2020, 06:10 AM
strangely we play Sevco again at ER before we face Aberdeen again, just five games after saturday Sevco are at ER(27th Jan), bizarre :confused: even more bizarre is the league have us playing a game inbetween sellick and Sevco this time(killie at ER) they do like us playing the gruesome twosome one after the other in recent times

They usually do the same with Aberdeen. I take it as a compliment.

H18 SFR
24-12-2020, 07:07 AM
I’m very confident now that we will qualify for Europe. Really hope it’s somewhere I’ve not been before with Hibs or Scotland.

tamig
24-12-2020, 10:13 AM
I’m very confident now that we will qualify for Europe. Really hope it’s somewhere I’ve not been before with Hibs or Scotland.

Lets just hope we can travel freely again come next summer - and that fans are back. No guarantees with this virus.

H18 SFR
24-12-2020, 10:26 AM
Lets just hope we can travel freely again come next summer - and that fans are back. No guarantees with this virus.

Yeah, that’s my worry.

Not In The Know
24-12-2020, 10:56 AM

Third place is a must as that will likely get the Uefa cup slot and if defeated in that playoff we get a conference game (I think)

H18 SFR
24-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Third place is a must as that will likely get the Uefa cup slot and if defeated in that playoff we get a conference game (I think)

That’s my understanding of how it is going to work. I’d love a couple of trips.

Lago
24-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Yip and I was one of them, happy days 🤷*♀️

WhileTheChief..
24-12-2020, 11:38 AM
For all the predicted doom and gloom around Scottish football this year it’s been pretty damn good as a Hibs fan.

Feeling confident about the months ahead and excited to see who we bring in in January to help us push on.

Also worth mentioning that as club, we have been relatively unscathed due to COVID.

Well played to everyone involved in following all the right protocols etc. It could just as easily have been us forfeiting matches or having games postponed.

A result on Boxing Day would cap things off nicely.

Seveno
24-12-2020, 11:52 AM
Nisbet has to be one of our best signings in many years and has made the difference in so many games. He is going to prove such a great investment when he moves on.

Sir David Gray
24-12-2020, 11:56 AM
Nisbet has to be one of our best signings in many years and has made the difference in so many games. He is going to prove such a great investment when he moves on.

Yep still early days but getting him on a 4 year contract could prove to be just as important as signing John McGinn.