Can have a good bevvy on Christmas Day.

Christmas time tanned on vegan wine

Mon Dieu4
23-12-2020, 07:25 PM

:faf::faf::faf::top marks

hibbydog
23-12-2020, 07:26 PM
He's the kind of striker we'll miss away against Sevco. Big and physical, holds the ball up and gives us and out ball when we're under pressure.

Strange to say, he's not a great footballer but brings a lot to the team.

Real Emerald
23-12-2020, 07:29 PM
We need another senior striker at Hibs. Even an older experienced back up who can stand in when we’re short.

jacomo
23-12-2020, 07:32 PM
We need another senior striker at Hibs. Even an older experienced back up who can stand in when we’re short.

Could Peter Crouch still do a job for us?

Andy74
23-12-2020, 07:35 PM
He's the kind of striker we'll miss away against Sevco. Big and physical, holds the ball up and gives us and out ball when we're under pressure.

Strange to say, he's not a great footballer but brings a lot to the team.

What does that mean?

He’s good in the air, score goals, holds it up well, gives defenders a difficult time. The ball generally sticks with him.

Aren’t all those things an important part of playing football?

Really don’t get the issue people have with Doidge. One of the better all round centre forwards we’ve had.

The 90+2
23-12-2020, 07:38 PM
#announceStokes

Scotty Leither
23-12-2020, 07:46 PM
Sorry, i don't see where the "all-round" striker is justified with Doidge. His second touch is a tackle, I think he should win more headers than he does, and the amount of chances he spurns is incredible and I think there's better out there, especially if we could get some money for him.

All that aside, once again though we've got one of our forwards suspended, and we're down to two strikers, one of which is a laddie, and you could argue Nisbet is still learning his trade in a lot of aspects of his game too.

We've been in this situation going into big games far too many times in the last 4-5 seasons, and I think the recruitment team should be held to account for it, it's not good enough.

greenlex
23-12-2020, 07:50 PM
Doidge is as good an all round striker we’ve had at Hibs in many years. I’m baffled folk don’t see this.

hibbysam
23-12-2020, 07:52 PM
Strangely think it’ll benefit us at ibrox. I don’t think we can go there with two up front, without switching to a back 3 which I doubt we’d do. So it means going 4-5-1 and using pace on the break (Wright, Boyle, Nisbet and Magennis). With Doidge you’d end up just firing long balls up, being overloaded in the midfield and losing by a few.

Peevemor
Doidge is as good an all round striker we’ve had at Hibs in many years. I’m baffled folk don’t see this.I'm with you 100%.

A Hi-Bee
Could Peter Crouch still do a job for us?

Naw we need humans, not robots
:greengrin

Andy74
23-12-2020, 07:53 PM
Sorry, i don't see where the "all-round" striker is justified with Doidge. His second touch is a tackle, I think he should win more headers than he does, and the amount of chances he spurns is incredible and I think there's better out there, especially if we could get some money for him.

All that aside, once again though we've got one of our forwards suspended, and we're down to two strikers, one of which is a laddie, and you could argue Nisbet is still learning his trade in a lot of aspects of his game too.

We've been in this situation going into big games far too many times in the last 4-5 seasons, and I think the recruitment team should be held to account for it, it's not good enough.

Agree we need at least 1 more.

Even more reason we shouldn’t be hounding Doidge.

I’m sure there are better out there but I’m not sure realistically those players are within our reach.

Doidge is up there with the likes of Mixu and Killen.

We’ve had too many of the likes of Nish, Big Dave, Vine and even Kamberi for me to be worrying about getting better than Doidge.

hibbydog
23-12-2020, 07:55 PM
What does that mean?

He’s good in the air, score goals, holds it up well, gives defenders a difficult time. The ball generally sticks with him.

Aren’t all those things an important part of plan ying football?

Really don’t get the issue people have with Doidge. One of the better all round centre forwards we’ve had.

Yes they are.

I just don’t see him as a technically good footballer. Lacks skill and technique with the ball at his feet. And I’m never confident when he has time to think when through on goal.

Pretty Boy
23-12-2020, 07:58 PM
He's probably the best striker of his type we have had since Chris Killen. That's going back 13/14 years.

He's not perfect. He misses chances, he miscontrols sometimes, his touch can be heavy but he's a bloody good player and I'd rather have him in our team than lining up against us.

Inch joe
23-12-2020, 07:59 PM
Doidge is as good an all round striker we’ve had at Hibs in many years. I’m baffled folk don’t see this.

Totally agree

kaimendhibs
23-12-2020, 08:00 PM
I like Doidge a lot. Dont get the constant critiscm of our players

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
23-12-2020, 08:02 PM

:agree:

EVENTUALLY
23-12-2020, 08:02 PM
What does that mean?

Aren’t all those things an important part of playing football?

Naw it doesnae on both counts.

His first booking came as a result of good possession breaking down with him failing to keep the ball and then having to chase back to recover and then he hacked the St. M. player down.

In fairness I thought he took a bit of punishment from the saints CH's tonight, but was largely ineffective.

Andy74
23-12-2020, 08:04 PM
He's probably the best striker of his type we have had since Chris Killen. That's going back 13/14 years.

He's not perfect. He misses chances, he miscontrols sometimes, his touch can be heavy but he's a bloody good player and I'd rather have him in our team than lining up against us.

Yep. I really don’t understand why Doidge needs to be the perfect footballer whilst most other players can be appreciated for the strengths they bring to the team.

I suspect it’s a lot of people who made an early judgement and are still desperately looking for things to be proved right.

In my roughly 40 years going there’s probably Killen for one season and Mixu first time round that compare in that role. O’Connor maybe but not sure if he was really that type. He was probably more like Nisbet.

The 90+2
23-12-2020, 08:06 PM

He's ten x the player James Collins was for us. That's before even mentioning ***** like Rowan Vine.

Scotty Leither
23-12-2020, 08:06 PM

Sorry PB, but if you miss chances, have iffy control, and a heavy touch, I don't think that makes you a "bloody good player".

My two biggest beefs are that for a big guy the ball never seems to stick with him, and on one-on-ones with the keeper, you tend to back the goalie more than him.

I think the guy needs coached, coached, and coached again in the manner that Boyle has been and then we might see a longer-term return on him both in a benefit to the team, and his transfer value, but he's one of the most frustrating players to watch, IMO.

(That frustration is maybe compounded by the lack of squad depth to give him some competition, but that's a different argument.)

The 90+2
23-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Yep. I really don’t understand why Doidge needs to be the perfect footballer whilst most other players can be appreciated for the strengths they bring to the team.

I suspect it’s a lot of people who made an early judgement and are still desperately looking for things to be proved right.

In my roughly 40 years going there’s probably Killen for one season and Mixu first time round that compare in that role. O’Connor maybe but not sure if he was really that type. He was probably more like Nisbet.

Fletcher under Mixu was better than all of them in that role.

kaimendhibs
23-12-2020, 08:09 PM

He's not perfect. He misses chances, he miscontrols sometimes, his touch can be heavy but he's a bloody good player and I'd rather have him in our team than lining up against us.Also, he doesnt spend most of the time injured like Killen

B.H.F.C
23-12-2020, 08:12 PM
Doidge does loads of decent things. My biggest gripe this season is lack of goals.

He’s no particularly easy on the eye but he does a job. We must sign a striker in January.

Andy74
23-12-2020, 08:12 PM
Fletcher under Mixu was better than all of them in that role.

Yet Doidge has a better scoring ratio.

Don’t think Fletcher was great in the air at that time or as physical. Different types of players. Fletcher had a wonderful touch and technique though and he has had a great career.

Not sure Fletcher’s one on one prowess was the best either. Took a lot of stick for that at the time.

allezsauzee
23-12-2020, 08:16 PM

I'm wondering if you've ever actually watched Doidge playing for Hibs.

EI255
23-12-2020, 08:17 PM
Real pity. He would have tested Goldson big time on Saturday.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Scotty Leither
23-12-2020, 08:19 PM
I'm wondering if you've ever actually watched Doidge playing for Hibs.

Yes I have, thanks.

Were you watching tonight when he copped his first booking after his poor first touch meant he gave the ball away and had to pull the boy down as a result?

Bobby's Cinema
23-12-2020, 08:20 PM

Doidge is a key part of this Hibs side. Players will get suspensions over the season - it happens.
The club will have weighed up all sorts of options during the window. Including impacts by COVID etc, risk vs reward for this season etc.

We will have put decent resource into tieing Boyle down, who can play through the middle when asked.
Alongside decent money on Nisbet and a strategy to work youth players (Gullan) into the squad and eventually sell on we are OK in this area.

Unfair on Doidge. And unfair on the recruitment team who have improved key problem areas identified pre-season to get us where we are.

Andy74
23-12-2020, 08:25 PM
Yes I have, thanks.

Were you watching tonight when he copped his first booking after his poor first touch meant he gave the ball away and had to pull the boy down as a result?

We all saw that, yes. I don’t think we all agree that the example is typical or representative of him as a player.

Gullan for example had a very similar poor touch that led to incident for Doidge’s second booking. Doesn’t mean he’s ordinarily a player with a poor touch either.

allezsauzee
23-12-2020, 08:26 PM
Yes I have, thanks.

ok....so have you watched him more than once then? If you did you would probably notice that the ball gets pinged to him quite a lot and it usually sticks.

Scotty Leither
23-12-2020, 08:29 PM
Doidge is a key part of this Hibs side. Players will get suspensions over the season - it happens.
The club will have weighed up all sorts of options during the window. Including impacts by COVID etc, risk vs reward for this season etc.

We will have put decent resource into tieing Boyle down, who can play through the middle when asked.
Alongside decent money on Nisbet and a strategy to work youth players (Gullan) into the squad and eventually sell on we are OK in this area.

Unfair on Doidge. And unfair on the recruitment team who have improved key problem areas identified pre-season to get us where we are.

We've had the same situation with lack of depth up front for the last 4-5 seasons - when that lot scored the jammy goal that bobbled over the line in the cup at Tynecastle in 2018, we had Ollie Shaw on his tod up front that day, which was basically a laddie trying to do a man's job. That's either on the Board at the time, or the recruitment team, or a combination of the two.

Now you can argue the merits/demerits of Doidge all day long, but the fact is he's suspended for the Rangers' game, and as a result, the manager's options going into the biggest game of the season in the league so far, are limited, once again. So no, I would argue we're not OK in this area.

If Gordon has designs on regular European football, or a long-awaited challenge for the league, we're going to need more than 2 recognised first-team strikers and a bigger squad overall.

jeffers
23-12-2020, 08:30 PM

I accept we are in the minority but I agree with you re Doidge. For all the chat about him being great in the air I don’t think he wins that much. Not to mention his distinct lack of pace. He is a good team player though and i can’t fault his effort but I don’t think he’s been great this season.

Not so sure I’d blame the recruitment team for our lack of strikers, I’m guessing with our budget we prioritised other positions and JR was happy to go with what we have. Be interesting if we add another striker in January.

greenpaper55
23-12-2020, 08:32 PM
He tends to work his socks off but for a big lad he does not hold the ball up compared to the likes of Mixu who got us up the park time and time again and got his fair share of goals.

Scotty Leither
23-12-2020, 08:35 PM
ok....so have you watched him more than once then? If you did you would probably notice that the ball gets pinged to him quite a lot and it usually sticks.

Yes, more than once. I go home and away and have only missed the odd game here and there for best part of 40 years, so I've probably seen 90% of Doidge's games for Hibs, so I hope I meet the criteria of being able to pass a judgement/give an opinion on a Hibs player?

He's no huddie like Vine, or Haynes, or Dagnall or any of the other phantoms that have "graced" the no. 9 jersey, but in terms of hold-up play he ain't no Mixu, that's for sure, and I really hope the guy improves in the manner that Boyle has, but i'm sorry, I do think there's better out there than him.

SaulGoodman
23-12-2020, 08:35 PM
We've had the same situation with lack of depth up front for the last 4-5 seasons - when that lot scored the jammy goal that bobbled over the line in the cup at Tynecastle in 2018, we had Ollie Shaw on his tod up front that day, which was basically a laddie trying to do a man's job. That's either on the Board at the time, or the recruitment team, or a combination of the two.

Now you can argue the merits/demerits of Doidge all day long, but the fact is he's suspended for the Rangers' game, and as a result, the manager's options going into the biggest game of the season in the league so far, are limited, once again. So no, I would argue we're not OK in this area.

If Gordon has designs on regular European football, or a long-awaited challenge for the league, we're going to need more than 2 recognised first-team strikers and a bigger squad overall.

Have you looked out the window recently?

The 90+2
23-12-2020, 08:36 PM
Yet Doidge has a better scoring ratio.

Don’t think Fletcher was great in the air at that time or as physical. Different types of players. Fletcher had a wonderful touch and technique though and he has had a great career.

Not sure Fletcher’s one on one prowess was the best either. Took a lot of stick for that at the time.

Doidge is playing in a better side than the one Fletcher played up top as target man under Mixu, that he's went on to play the majority of his career. For us in the early years Fletcher was fantastic with what you described and I would disagree, he was great one on one. The year he left he played basically like for like the role Doidge done and was fantastic in a piss poor side. He had Colin Nish as his Nisbitt and a tactic of mainly firing it up top to him from the full backs.

Andy74
23-12-2020, 08:36 PM
Yes, more than once. I go home and away and have only missed the odd game here and there for best part of 40 years, so I've probably seen 90% of Doidge's games for Hibs, so I hope I meet the criteria of being able to pass a judgement/give an opinion on a Hibs player?

He's no huddie like Vine, or Haynes, or Dagnall or any of the other phantoms that have "graced" the no. 9 jersey, but in terms of hold-up play he ain't no Mixu, that's for sure, and I really hope the guy improves in the manner that Boyle has, but i'm sorry, I do think there's better out there than him.

Go on then, who are they?

Bobby's Cinema
23-12-2020, 08:37 PM

His options with our key player suspended are far from limited with Nisbet the 2nd top scorer in the league with 10 goals (signed in the summer), Boyle one of the best attacking talents in the league and a youth player coming through as back-up. Not too bad if you ask me. We would all like to see us constantly improving of course with more depth but IMO and we are fixed OK vs our expectations.

And as I've said previous the signings we have chosen to make and tieing down key players may have been offset vs another player in this area - who knows.

Let's take it one step at a time. There needs to be context, we've finished 3rd twice in my lifetime - to do so again would be big progress and shouldn't be understated. If our expectations were to be to mount a challenge for the league as you seem to suggest then that would be a different conversation.

Sammy7nil
23-12-2020, 08:38 PM

I like him a lot and don’t disagree but today he was a man short, terrible performance.

Scotty Leither
23-12-2020, 08:41 PM
Have you looked out the window recently?

I did this morning aye, but it left me with nothing to do in the afternoon, so I'll leave it until later on tomorrow?

How about you, did you go out the front door today?

Scotty Leither
23-12-2020, 08:45 PM
His options with our key player suspended are far from limited with Nisbet the 2nd top scorer in the league with 10 goals (signed in the summer), Boyle one of the best attacking talents in the league and a youth player coming through as back-up. Not too bad if you ask me. We would all like to see us constantly improving of course with more depth but IMO and we are fixed OK vs our expectations.

And as I've said previous the signings we have chosen to make and tieing down key players may have been offset vs another player in this area - who knows.

Let's take it one step at a time. There needs to be context, we've finished 3rd twice in my lifetime - to do so again would be big progress and shouldn't be understated. If our expectations were to be to mount a challenge for the league as you seem to suggest then that would be a different conversation.

Yes point(s) taken - but Ron Gordon did say that was his aim when he took over. Nice to hear a bit of ambition for a change for a guy who maybe sees the potential of the club beyond the odd foray into Europe once every ten years.

3pm
23-12-2020, 08:50 PM
Probs throw Holt and Brewster in with Killen & Mixu.

HendoDelivered
23-12-2020, 08:52 PM

Correct

Scotty Leither
23-12-2020, 08:56 PM
Probs throw Holt and Brewster in with Killen & Mixu.

Yup...I thought Luna was a great wee player, too. Very skilful and clever off the ball with his movement. Proper Hibs' player.

kaimendhibs
23-12-2020, 09:09 PM
Issac Revkik. Now he was a player. Bloody red tape [emoji2959]

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2020, 09:14 PM

Wasn't that Lennon picking Shaw over Stokes, Murray and big Dave?

angus hibby
23-12-2020, 09:17 PM
Thought his 2nd booking was very harsh. Ref was only yards away and took 3 or 4 seconds before whistling.

wookie70
23-12-2020, 09:21 PM
He's ten x the player James Collins was for us. That's before even mentioning ***** like Rowan Vine.

He would have to be a good deal better than 10x James Collins to be a good player. Doidge's best attribute for me is he keeps putting himself in good positions. He isn't a great finisher but is thankfully nothing like James Collins who never made the effort to get into the box and seemed afraid of missing. Doidge misses more than his fair share imo but he has the strength to keep putting himself into the spotlight. I think that is why he is a streaky striker as he isn't technically that good so needs the team providing lots of chances. He is decent in the air in terms of flicking the ball on but very good when attacking crosses and is a better finisher with his head than his feet. For a big guy he doesn't hold the ball up that well for me. All in all he is a striker who will score over 10 goals pretty much every season and if we present enough chances then a good deal more.

Nisbet is in another league imo. He holds the ball up nearly as well as Doidge but is also an excellent passer and a far better finisher with a good range in his shooting. He is also more effective at closing defenders and they work pretty well as a pair at the ugly side of the game and are well above average for a pair of Hibs strikers. However, we need another decent striker so they can be given a rest and taken off when they are playing poorly. Doidge was poor tonight and if we had another 6 footer he would probably have been hooked. Ross didn't have that option unfortunately.

The 90+2
23-12-2020, 09:29 PM
He would have to be a good deal better than 10x James Collins to be a good player. Doidge's best attribute for me is he keeps putting himself in good positions. He isn't a great finisher but is thankfully nothing like James Collins who never made the effort to get into the box and seemed afraid of missing. Doidge misses more than his fair share imo but he has the strength to keep putting himself into the spotlight. I think that is why he is a streaky striker as he isn't technically that good so needs the team providing lots of chances. He is decent in the air in terms of flicking the ball on but very good when attacking crosses and is a better finisher with his head than his feet. For a big guy he doesn't hold the ball up that well for me. All in all he is a striker who will score over 10 goals pretty much every season and if we present enough chances then a good deal more.

Nisbet is in another league imo. He holds the ball up nearly as well as Doidge but is also an excellent passer and a far better finisher with a good range in his shooting. He is also more effective at closing defenders and they work pretty well as a pair at the ugly side of the game and are well above average for a pair of Hibs strikers. However, we need another decent striker so they can be given a rest and taken off when they are playing poorly. Doidge was poor tonight and if we had another 6 footer he would probably have been hooked. Ross didn't have that option unfortunately.

You've just went and summed it up perfectly. Well done. :greengrin :aok:

Unseen work
23-12-2020, 09:33 PM
I really like Doidge but appreciate he can be frustrating with some of his misses. I just think his effort, what he brings to the team and his goals is fantastic.

I actually think his hold up play is good especially as he’s not that big, I don’t think some appreciate his actual size and just assume he’s bigger because of his style of play.

Greenbeard
24-12-2020, 07:43 AM
Strangely think it’ll benefit us at ibrox. I don’t think we can go there with two up front, without switching to a back 3 which I doubt we’d do. So it means going 4-5-1 and using pace on the break (Wright, Boyle, Nisbet and Magennis). With Doidge you’d end up just firing long balls up, being overloaded in the midfield and losing by a few.
That was my first thought too. Not too worried. Also, his unco-ordination seems to have come back to the fore recently.

J-C
24-12-2020, 10:44 AM

Summed up perfectly.

hibby rae
24-12-2020, 10:47 AM

Isn't all wine vegan? 🤔

hibby rae
24-12-2020, 10:54 AM

If Doidge was putting away more of those chances he wouldn't be here much longer, and probably wouldn't have came herw in the first place.

The important thing for me, other than his workrate and off the ball work, is he keeps putting himself there and so his return is decent. Alongside Nisbet it makes it, arguably, into the top two of attacks in the league. Certainly better than the Sheep, which may be the deciding factor for third.

B.H.F.C
24-12-2020, 12:20 PM
If Doidge was putting away more of those chances he wouldn't be here much longer, and probably wouldn't have came herw in the first place.

The important thing for me, other than his workrate and off the ball work, is he keeps putting himself there and so his return is decent. Alongside Nisbet it makes it, arguably, into the top two of attacks in the league. Certainly better than the Sheep, which may be the deciding factor for third.

Doidge should have more goals than he’s got this year. He’s averaging pretty much 1 in 4 which should be better, given the chances he’s had.

No doubt Nisbet is better for playing with Doidge though.

Centre Hawf
24-12-2020, 12:39 PM
The amount of amazing chances Doidge misses really irks me. He's not the only one to do it but we will often put good balls into the box for him only to head it miles over, if he's 1 on 1 with the keeper with a couple of touches before he needs to decide what to do he's not going to make the right decision or his finish will generally just be poor.

I think he brings a lot to the team and as many folk have said the amount of donkeys we've had in the past I'll gladly take Doidge over any of them, but he absolutely needs to start putting away some of his chances in games like Saturday and last night where we're only leading by 1 and we're running the risk of throwing away points. He's a striker at the end of the day and we want to be finishing 3rd, in order to do that your strikers have to finish more of the chances than Doidge is at the moment.

Scott Allan Key
24-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Doidge is as good an all round striker we’ve had at Hibs in many years. I’m baffled folk don’t see this.It was the same with Malonga. Some people just can't recognise a footballer.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Andy74
24-12-2020, 01:10 PM
Isn't all wine vegan? 🤔

No it's not, there can be all sorts of protein based products used in clarifying and fining.

Nicho87
24-12-2020, 01:38 PM
He’s the type of player if he was at Motherwell or St Johnstone had we would be probably be saying we should sign imo. He is sometimes frustrating more his one on ones are poor but he has improved ten fold. A threat in the air and decent at being in the six yard box. Would not like to lose him now think he is good enough for an extension already. He’s at hibs due to the fact he isn’t the complete player. Does what he is good at well.

Smartie
24-12-2020, 01:55 PM
Doidge’s problem is that he’s pretty awful at the main thing strikers are often judged by - finishing.

He’s not bad at scoring the trickier ones and is brilliant at attacking more difficult chances with his head in the box.

If he could add a bit of ruthlessness in front of goal, the ability to finish easy chances with his feet when he’s got a bit of time - he’d be worth millions.

He’s an effective player and whilst he’s imperfect I really like him.

Keith_M
24-12-2020, 02:01 PM
League record 2019/20: 28 games, 12 goals.

League record 2020/21: 18 Games, 5 Goals.

After failing to score in the first eleven games last season, he then had a really good spell (9th Nov - 4th Dec), just after Hecky left... where he scored in five successive matches... with seven goals in total. He seemed like a totally different player to the one we'd watched under Hecky.

Since then, his return has been an average of one goal every three games (10 from 30).

easty
24-12-2020, 03:22 PM
He’s the type of player if he was at Motherwell or St Johnstone had we would be probably be saying we should sign imo. He is sometimes frustrating more his one on ones are poor but he has improved ten fold. A threat in the air and decent at being in the six yard box. Would not like to lose him now think he is good enough for an extension already. He’s at hibs due to the fact he isn’t the complete player. Does what he is good at well.

Definitely. We talk on here about Kabamba at Killie or Stewart at Ross County as good signings...neither of them is as good as Doidge.

Liberal Hibby
24-12-2020, 04:06 PM
No it's not, there can be all sorts of protein based products used in clarifying and fining.

Finings (used to stop fermentation) was traditionally made of fish scales.

calumhibee1
24-12-2020, 04:08 PM
Definitely. We talk on here about Kabamba at Killie or Stewart at Ross County as good signings...neither of them is as good as Doidge.

Doidge is absolutely streets ahead of both of them.

hibbysam
25-12-2020, 11:08 AM
League record 2019/20: 28 games, 12 goals.

League record 2020/21: 18 Games, 5 Goals.

After failing to score in the first eleven games last season, he then had a really good spell (9th Nov - 4th Dec), just after Hecky left... where he scored in five successive matches... with seven goals in total. He seemed like a totally different player to the one we'd watched under Hecky.

Since then, his return has been an average of one goal every three games (10 from 30).

The bigger target man never scores as many as his smaller, better ‘footballer’ striker. Nisbet is scoring better than 1 in 2 so far, Nisbet will be near 20, if Doidge ends between 13-15 it’ll have been a very successful season for our two strikers. In the ‘smaller’ games, Nisbet will often score and steal the limelight, Doidge occupies defences and creates the space for Nisbet to do his thing.

GreenCastle
25-12-2020, 11:19 AM
The bigger target man never scores as many as his smaller, better ‘footballer’ striker. Nisbet is scoring better than 1 in 2 so far, Nisbet will be near 20, if Doidge ends between 13-15 it’ll have been a very successful season for our two strikers. In the ‘smaller’ games, Nisbet will often score and steal the limelight, Doidge occupies defences and creates the space for Nisbet to do his thing.

Good point.

Would be interesting to know Doidge attempts / chances missed - basically his conversion rate of dangerous chances. Possibly quite hard to work out.

The thing Doidge does do is..adds a physical presence..works off the ball..is a good character and winds up opposition defenders..scores with his head..score some scrappy goals which all strikers need to do.

I think he’s a good fit for Hibs but we do need competition up front.

Hibs have had some fantastic strikers over the years - probably spoilt in that regard but also seen some absolute mince like Rowan Vine.

EVENTUALLY
25-12-2020, 11:55 AM

Alan Gordon did. Classiest CF the Hibs ever had. Skillful, Clever and Lethal. You don't get picked for a world eleven as big Al did and score the only goal of the game into the bargain if your not a top player.

hibbysam
25-12-2020, 12:45 PM
Alan Gordon did. Classiest CF the Hibs ever had. Skillful, Clever and Lethal. You don't get picked for a world eleven as big Al did and score the only goal of the game into the bargain if your not a top player.

Of course there are odd exceptions, I look at the likes Garry and Deek/Griffiths etc. Big men do far more of the work that helps the other. I’d still like Doidge to take some of the big chances though.

Fergus52
25-12-2020, 03:44 PM
Really rate doidge, his finishing is inconsistent and he does miss a lot of chances, but the post saying he doesn't win enough headers is just nonsense - pretty sure I seen a stat a few weeks ago that he had the best % of Arial dules won out of all forwards in the league. His strength, work rate, link up play and movement is all more than good enough for our level and if he was a consistent finisher as well he wouldn't be playing for hibs.

That being said I do think we should definitely be looking to bring in a strong 3rd option to compete and rotate with nisbett and doidge.

Since452
25-12-2020, 04:19 PM
We'd be spewing if Aberdeen or Motherwell had a player like Doidge

Keith_M
25-12-2020, 04:50 PM

I know, we'd probably have loads of posts saying that's just the type of player we need.

scoopyboy
25-12-2020, 06:20 PM

Jimmy O'Rourke outscored him though.

Inconsequential
25-12-2020, 07:05 PM
The bigger target man never scores as many as his smaller, better ‘footballer’ striker. Nisbet is scoring better than 1 in 2 so far, Nisbet will be near 20, if Doidge ends between 13-15 it’ll have been a very successful season for our two strikers. In the ‘smaller’ games, Nisbet will often score and steal the limelight, Doidge occupies defences and creates the space for Nisbet to do his thing. The bigger target man I assume you mean Doidge is the same height as his smaller, better 'footballer' I assume you mean Nisbet. They are both 6" 1'. Toshack and Keegan they are not. :wink:

superfurryhibby
25-12-2020, 07:41 PM
Jimmy O'Rourke outscored him though.

Gordon was Hibs top league goal scorer for two season in a row, 72-73 and 73-74. O’Rourke topped the league scoring once, in 71-72, with Arthur Duncan on 11. Cannae find stats for the totals in all comps for those years though, quite annoyingly.

kaimendhibs
25-12-2020, 08:01 PM
Doidge is a very clever player. Even that day in Aberdeen when he could have won the game on his own, it was obvious his runs and movement were class.

jacomo
25-12-2020, 08:48 PM

This is very true. I suppose Cosgrove is quite like him, or maybe Brophy at Killie. Having a big no 9 in your squad is very useful in this league.

Brightside
25-12-2020, 08:57 PM

Doidge is absolutely streets ahead of both of them.

Correct. No one available in our market better than what we have right now.

CMurdoch
25-12-2020, 09:14 PM
Correct. No one available in our market better than what we have right now.

This is the point that people need to understand. For £300k he was a steal.
Ono on ones with the keeper are his achilles heal but the rest of his game is fantastic at our level
If he had the one on one with the keeper ability he would be worth a fortune and would never have arrived at Easter Rd.
Nisbet has also benefited massively playing alongside him. Think it's a big reason that he has made the transition so seamlessly.
18 month left on his contract. Would hate to lose him.

scoopyboy
26-12-2020, 07:06 AM
Gordon was Hibs top league goal scorer for two season in a row, 72-73 and 73-74. O’Rourke topped the league scoring once, in 71-72, with Arthur Duncan on 11. Cannae find stats for the totals in all comps for those years though, quite annoyingly.

You are right, use fitbastats which is superb.

Alan Gordon was top scorer in the two seasons mentioned, outstanding record.

BoomtownHibees
26-12-2020, 08:23 AM
This is very true. I suppose Cosgrove is quite like him, or maybe Brophy at Killie. Having a big no 9 in your squad is very useful in this league.

Wouldn’t really class Brophy as a “big” striker. He’s about 4 inches smaller than Doidge and Nisbet.

Folk going on about Doidge being the big one out of our 2, they are both the same height however are both completely different types of player.

Greenbeard
26-12-2020, 08:49 AM
The bigger target man I assume you mean Doidge is the same height as his smaller, better 'footballer' I assume you mean Nisbet. They are both 6" 1'. Toshack and Keegan they are not. :wink:
Just goes to show what a difference good posture makes to your perceived height. I'd have given Doidge two inches on Nizzie.
And the missus tells me the extra two inches makes all the difference. Well she used to. :wink:

FilipinoHibs
26-12-2020, 08:55 AM
I was not a fan when he first came because of the missed chances. But I think he is a terrific all round player. His height and higher centre of gravity makes his one in ones more difficult. Glad he plays for us.

hibbysam
26-12-2020, 09:02 AM
The bigger target man I assume you mean Doidge is the same height as his smaller, better 'footballer' I assume you mean Nisbet. They are both 6" 1'. Toshack and Keegan they are not. :wink:

Now that’s a shock lol, wouldn’t have had much between them but defo thought doidge was bigger (probably as Nisbet is bigger than I thought he was). Point stands to some degree, Doidge plays like the bigger player, target man, holds it up, does the unselfish work, whereas Nisbet is a playmaker, pops up in spaces, more intelligent, and scores all sorts of goals.

Argylehibby
26-12-2020, 09:11 AM

I think the poster refererence relates more to the role rather than the height. Doidge plays the role of the bigger target man as that suits him better than the smaller better footballer. Nisbet isn't as good as Doidge in that role, each are being asked to play to their strengths. I know that's not something we as Hibs fans are used to!