PDA

View Full Version : 26 games so far this season.

SaulGoodman
23-12-2020, 07:13 PM
16 wins and 4 defeats, pointed out in the match thread.

Well done Hibs.

hibby6270
23-12-2020, 07:50 PM

Well done Hibs.

And of the 6 draws, you have to breakdown the ‘good’ draws and ‘bad’ draws. The games we draw, more often than not, define how good a season we end up with.

5 at home - The Rangers, Celtic & St Johnstone - good draws imo - given the opposition and positions we were in during the games. Could have easily lost all 3 of them.
Motherwell and Dundee Utd - bad draws imo - both games we dominated and should have scored/been out of sight in respectively. Motherwell - one of those days. United should have won that game.

1 away - Ross County - bad draw - Again a game we should have won given the numerous clear cut chances created.

So, all in all, it’s ‘Even Steven’ so far as far as the drawn games go. As long as we don’t get into that habit we often end up with, where we keep snatching draws from the jaws of victory!!

Overall a good positive first half season so far. Keep it going and we’ll make 3rd/4th comfortably.
But hey, this is Hibs we’re talking about. Never do things the easy way!!

JimBHibees
23-12-2020, 08:00 PM
And of the 6 draws, you have to breakdown the ‘good’ draws and ‘bad’ draws. The games we draw, more often than not, define how good a season we end up with.

5 at home - The Rangers, Celtic & St Johnstone - good draws imo - given the opposition and positions we were in during the games. Could have easily lost all 3 of them.
Motherwell and Dundee Utd - bad draws imo - both games we dominated and should have scored/been out of sight in respectively. Motherwell - one of those days. United should have won that game.

1 away - Ross County - bad draw - Again a game we should have won given the numerous clear cut chances created.

So, all in all, it’s ‘Even Steven’ so far as far as the drawn games go. As long as we don’t get into that habit we often end up with, where we keep snatching draws from the jaws of victory!!

Overall a good positive first half season so far. Keep it going and we’ll make 3rd/4th comfortably.

No way can Celtic at home be seen as a good draw we were 2 ahead and then butchered a clearance in the last minute to concede an injury time equaliser.

Ryan91
23-12-2020, 08:01 PM

The Celtic draw is a bit of both IMO, we were 2-0 up, and really should have won that match, but if you'd asked me prior to the match would you take a relatively entertaining 2-2 draw where you take the game to Celtic, I'd have said yes.

vs The Rangers, they'd not even conceded up until that point and apart from Livi, we are the only other team to have picked up even a point against them. Very good draw.

St Johnstone, went behind, twice, came back, twice, a fair result considering we absolutely stole 3 points at McDiarmid Park (not complaining though!) and probably should have drawn that match.

Utd was absolutely a match we should have won, the Well game was a bit of a boring one tbf so can't remember much of it.

County was a frustrating one, as you point out, several really good chances and failed to convert including one that Boyle somehow put past the post.

tamig
23-12-2020, 10:19 PM
The Celtic draw is a bit of both IMO, we were 2-0 up, and really should have won that match, but if you'd asked me prior to the match would you take a relatively entertaining 2-2 draw where you take the game to Celtic, I'd have said yes.

vs The Rangers, they'd not even conceded up until that point and apart from Livi, we are the only other team to have picked up even a point against them. Very good draw.

St Johnstone, went behind, twice, came back, twice, a fair result considering we absolutely stole 3 points at McDiarmid Park (not complaining though!) and probably should have drawn that match.

Utd was absolutely a match we should have won, the Well game was a bit of a boring one tbf so can't remember much of it.

County was a frustrating one, as you point out, several really good chances and failed to convert including one that Boyle somehow put past the post.
We were also lucky to get the home draw against Motherwell in that they had - what I thought anyway - a perfectly good goal disallowed.

Hermit Crab
23-12-2020, 10:21 PM
No way can Celtic at home be seen as a good draw we were 2 ahead and then butchered a clearance in the last minute to concede an injury time equaliser.

2-0 up with 10 to play and not winning is criminal.

Brightside
23-12-2020, 10:26 PM
2-0 up with 10 to play and not winning is criminal.

Don’t be daft.

Hermit Crab
23-12-2020, 10:29 PM
Don’t be daft.

How is that being daft? Not being able to see games out has cost us at least 4 points in the last 2 months.

Sir David Gray
23-12-2020, 10:32 PM
Before the Celtic game I'd have bitten your hand off for a point, despite their poor form, however given the circumstances you have to say it was a poor result.

Brightside
23-12-2020, 10:33 PM
How is that being daft? Not being able to see games out has cost us at least 4 points in the last 2 months.

It’s disappointing. It’s not criminal. Much better teams than us have lost points in those positions. It happens every week.

matty_f
23-12-2020, 10:51 PM
It’s disappointing. It’s not criminal. Much better teams than us have lost points in those positions. It happens every week.

Hard crowd to please when we’re pissing our pants about dropping 4 points over two months

tamig
23-12-2020, 11:16 PM
Don’t be daft.

Leave him to it. Not unexpected in the slightest.

SaulGoodman
23-12-2020, 11:28 PM
Well.. I tried to make a positive thread.. :greengrin

Onceinawhile
23-12-2020, 11:57 PM
Our record this season is probably top 7 or so in the last 30 years.

We should have beaten celtic and Dundee utd.

Motherwell probably should've beaten us.

Home form needs to improve, but cmon were 3rd at Christmas and semis of a cup.

147lothian
24-12-2020, 12:02 AM
There is lots to be positve about with this team, take yesterdays game, we were a cut above them in every department IMO, this is why we are winning more than we are losing, there will always be odd games like the Dundee United one where we drop points, but if you look at the performance level in that game rather that the result, you have to say we looked very good, created loads, and on another day with that kind of performance it could have been 3 or four goals we scored insead of just one.

matty_f
24-12-2020, 12:10 AM
There is lots to be positve about with this team, take yesterdays game, we were a cut above them in every department IMO, this is why we are winning more than we are losing, there will always be odd games like the Dundee United one where we drop points, but if you look at the performance level in that game rather that the result, you have to say we looked very good, created loads, and on another day with that kind of performance it could have been 3 or four goals we scored insead of just one.

I agree. I’ve said after a few games that we’ve found a level of performance where we usually are in control of games, without always getting the result- maybe not so far in control that the opposition aren’t in it, which is why we have dropped points, but there have certainly been games where if we’d taken all three points there would have been no complaints - Celtic, Since United, Ross County are three that immediately come to mind, along with the Scottish Cup semi final.

Aldo
24-12-2020, 06:27 AM
If you had told me that we would be sitting 3rd with 36 points with 10 wins, 6 draws and 3 defeats I’d have taken that. Not sure many wouldn’t.

I know there are a few that point to dropped points and it could have been better and I agree, it could always be better. It’s all about consistency!

Just need to make sure we continue to improve and whilst I dint want to be complacent , dint waste the opportunity to get to another Final!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HH81
24-12-2020, 06:32 AM

I thought Motherwell at home was a good draw as they had the better chances from memory.

Celtic one was one we should have won though.

Steve20
24-12-2020, 06:41 AM
The league season has been decent so far. Need a bit improvement on the home form though, just in case we don’t keep up our excellent away form.

On the topic of good draws. Rangers was one, St Johnstone another because we came back twice. But the Celtic one is not a good draw. Maybe not as far as criminal, but losing a 2-0 lead with 10 mins to go is pretty bad.

The Hearts semi final is a huge black mark against Jack Ross. Should we get Hearts in this years cup, he must win that one. It’s not acceptable to lose to them.

As I say, league is going well though and a top four place is almost a sure thing, barring a collapse. 3rd is doable if we get that home form going.

2nd place that people were on about? Nope. I actually still think Celtic will catch Rangers, so we won’t be getting near that. 3rd would be excellent though.

Dashing Bob S
24-12-2020, 07:53 AM
The league season has been decent so far. Need a bit improvement on the home form though, just in case we don’t keep up our excellent away form.

On the topic of good draws. Rangers was one, St Johnstone another because we came back twice. But the Celtic one is not a good draw. Maybe not as far as criminal, but losing a 2-0 lead with 10 mins to go is pretty bad.

The Hearts semi final is a huge black mark against Jack Ross. Should we get Hearts in this years cup, he must win that one. It’s not acceptable to lose to them.

As I say, league is going well though and a top four place is almost a sure thing, barring a collapse. 3rd is doable if we get that home form going.

2nd place that people were on about? Nope. I actually still think Celtic will catch Rangers, so we won’t be getting near that. 3rd would be excellent though.

If we are ambitious we need to redesignate such draws as criminal rather than merely disappointing

Since452
24-12-2020, 08:03 AM
Just noticed Kilmarnock. 4 defeats in a row and 1 goal in last 7 games. 4 points off the bottom. Alarming form for them.

Brightside
24-12-2020, 08:49 AM
Surely even HC must be appreciative of this form.

Points Last Six

Rangers 18
Hibs 12
Celtic 12
St.Mirren 11
Livingston 10
Aberdeen 9
Dundee Utd 8
Hamilton 7
St.Johnstone 3
Kilmarnock 3
Motherwell 2
Ross County 1

Vault Boy
24-12-2020, 08:57 AM
Jack Ross and his team have a remarkable record thus far, long may it continue.

Keith_M
24-12-2020, 08:59 AM

For which most of us are grateful.

:aok:

Ignore the usual miserable gits, they love wallowing in their own negativitiy.

superfurryhibby
24-12-2020, 09:11 AM
This Hibs side are developing into a pretty decent unit. Ross has brought players in who have made a difference and is getting the best out of guys who were already here.

There have been games where we have dropped points and the odd damp squib of a performance. Equally, there have been times we’ve been a bit fortunate and won games where we maybe didn’t merit all 3 points.

Looking back across more than half a season, anyone with a bit of perspective can see that these things tend to even themselves out.

Looking forward with optimism. We’re in a great position in the league and league cup. Approaching a transfer window where I expect a bit of movement here and there, with a view to continuing improvement.

I also hope we get Murphy and Magennis playing regularly. Both are potentially key players, neither have really had a run of games.

matty_f
24-12-2020, 09:12 AM

In fairness, the place should be full of them anyway. We're on a terrific run of form at the moment, playing some really nice football at times.

Sitting 3rd in the league with another trip to Hampden to look forward to.

Folk who are still complaining are, IMHO, setting unrealistically high standards which, frankly, no team our size are going to consistently meet.

We are doing really well, the team are consistently performing and the manager is doing a great job.

We should be loving this.

Heisenberg
24-12-2020, 09:15 AM
You are all losers for enjoying our good form and thinking it’s been a good season

:greengrin

calumhibee1
24-12-2020, 09:20 AM
Actually surprised there’s only been 6 draws. Feels like there’s been loads. Good form :agree:

James Stephen
24-12-2020, 09:25 AM
Hard crowd to please when we’re pissing our pants about dropping 4 points over two months

Nothing less than perfection will do, it seems.

Keith_M
24-12-2020, 09:29 AM
You are all losers for enjoying our good form and thinking it’s been a good season

That's been our problem for years, the Fans willing to accept mediocrity. It's why we'll never achieve anything.

matty_f
24-12-2020, 09:36 AM
That's been our problem for years, the Fans willing to accept mediocrity. It's why we'll never achieve anything.

Quick send the season tickets back!

G B Young
24-12-2020, 09:45 AM
In fairness, the place should be full of them anyway. We're on a terrific run of form at the moment, playing some really nice football at times.

Sitting 3rd in the league with another trip to Hampden to look forward to.

Folk who are still complaining are, IMHO, setting unrealistically high standards which, frankly, no team our size are going to consistently meet.

We are doing really well, the team are consistently performing and the manager is doing a great job.

We should be loving this.

Agree with all that. It's just that the Hearts game casts a disproportionately large shadow over things and as I said before the game was even played I wish that fixture had never been rescheduled. We could have done without its disruptive nature. Had we lost it to any other team we'd have shaken it off and be focusing only on the positives but the derby's capacity to skew our perspective is why I pretty much hate the fixture (even when we're winning them the high is too high when set against the season as a whole).

B.H.F.C
24-12-2020, 09:48 AM
Nothing less than perfection will do, it seems.

Don’t think that’s true at all. Perfection would be being top of the league and nobody expects that.

99.9% of folk would agree we are in a good position. Doesn’t mean that some, me included, don’t think we should be a few points better off.

matty_f
24-12-2020, 09:49 AM
Don’t think that’s true at all. Perfection would be being top of the league and nobody expects that.

99.9% of folk would agree we are in a good position. Doesn’t mean that some, me included, don’t think we should be a few points better off.

Won't that always be the case, though? We can look at every game and reflect on why and how we should have taken all 3 points.

B.H.F.C
24-12-2020, 09:50 AM
Agree with all that. It's just that the Hearts game casts a disproportionately large shadow over things and as I said before the game was even played I wish that fixture had never been rescheduled. We could have done without its disruptive nature. Had we lost it to any other team we'd have shaken it off and be focusing only on the positives but the derby's capacity to skew our perspective is why I pretty much hate the fixture (even when we're winning them the high is too high when set against the season as a whole).

Not playing it wasn’t the answer to that particular problem, winning it was.

St Johnstone semi will provoke the same reaction because of the expectation around it. Huge game that we need to win.

jacomo
24-12-2020, 09:57 AM

:agree:

Haterz gonna hate, as they say, but overall we are very much headed in the right direction. If Murphy and Magennis improve their contributions and Scotty returns in good form, we will have more match winners in the squad and every confidence we can maintain or even improve on results for the rest of the season.

B.H.F.C
24-12-2020, 09:58 AM
Won't that always be the case, though? We can look at every game and reflect on why and how we should have taken all 3 points.

No, it won’t always be the case for me. Sometimes you get beaten (or drop points) just because the other team are better, or play better on the day. That happens and there isn’t much you can do about it. There are other occasions where you drop points that you shouldn’t the way the game has went, Celtic and Dundee Utd being the two that stick out for me.

Sioux
24-12-2020, 10:02 AM
Laughing ma kokov at this nonsense we should never lose a game after being two up with ten minutes to go. Obvioulsly we shouldn't have won the Scottish cup then!

Another thing, the use of the word should.

We should have won that, we should have scored more goals, and the most stupid one of all is that we should beat all teams who are lower down the pecking order than we are, usually based on us having more money than them. If that's true we should never beat, or draw with, teams that have more money than us. How does that logic work? Just wait for the meltdown if we lose to the huns to show how stupid people can be using inconsistent arguments.

There are only three teams in the league who have not lost in the last six games. Us and guess who.

One more thing. If we continue this season's form, our points total could see us with the highest points total we've had in the league for a long time. Yet there is still a constant flow of negativity on here bordering on insanity.

Someone mentioned false expecations earlier. Hard to argue with that view.

TheGreenMan
24-12-2020, 10:14 AM
Sure David Tanner mentioned this is our best points total at this stage since Big Eck 2000/2001. 36 now vs 38 back then, when King Franck was running the show.

Best points total in 20 years so far and a semi final with a great chance to win a cup. Realistically, not much to complain about. Starting to play better too, better to watch. We're short in attacking options imo if it's not working during the game but hopefully we can get back up in January and kick on. Bring on the Huns 🇳🇬

Edit: that Celtic draw only came about because of a shocking penalty decision to give them momentum. We were cruising till that point.

Eyrie
24-12-2020, 10:25 AM
Edit: that Celtic draw only came about because of a shocking penalty decision to give them momentum. We were cruising till that point.

That was my reaction to reading Hermit Crab's post.

Without that gift (which wouldn't have happened at the other end), we'd have held on to win.

calumhibee1
24-12-2020, 10:29 AM
Sure David Tanner mentioned this is our best points total at this stage since Big Eck 2000/2001. 36 now vs 38 back then, when King Franck was running the show.

Best points total in 20 years so far and a semi final with a great chance to win a cup. Realistically, not much to complain about. Starting to play better too, better to watch. We're short in attacking options imo if it's not working during the game but hopefully we can get back up in January and kick on. Bring on the Huns 🇳🇬

According to wiki we had 47 points under McLeish pre Xmas day. Unbelievable amount. Shows how bad the second half of that season was as we finished with 66.

G B Young
24-12-2020, 11:37 AM
Not playing it wasn’t the answer to that particular problem, winning it was.

St Johnstone semi will provoke the same reaction because of the expectation around it. Huge game that we need to win.

I wasn't wanting it scrapped because I thought we'd lose. In fact I was as confident as you can be when it comes to derbies that we'd win.

The point I was trying to make was that with Hearts out of the picture this season we were building up a nice head of steam under Jack Ross in his first full season in charge and I feared that the shoehorning in of a derby from the previous season was something we could have done without. There's a different vibe around a derby fixture that can be disruptive and it definitely stalled our momentum, albeit briefly.

Hats off to Jack Ross though for the way he's got us so impressively back on track in recent weeks.

G B Young
24-12-2020, 11:45 AM
According to wiki we had 47 points under McLeish pre Xmas day. Unbelievable amount. Shows how bad the second half of that season was as we finished with 66.

Yep, 47 points after 22 league games that season. We were so far ahead of everyone bar the Old Firm that we had effectively sewn up a top three finish by Christmas. As you say, just as well because we fell away badly afterwards (although the slump in league form was largely masked by a run to the Scottish Cup final).

hibbysam
24-12-2020, 11:55 AM
No, it won’t always be the case for me. Sometimes you get beaten (or drop points) just because the other team are better, or play better on the day. That happens and there isn’t much you can do about it. There are other occasions where you drop points that you shouldn’t the way the game has went, Celtic and Dundee Utd being the two that stick out for me.

But then by the same token, we effectively ‘stole’ some points in other games, St Johnstone away, Dundee United away, Motherwell at home to name but three. Our points total won’t be far off what our performances have deserved.

GRA
24-12-2020, 12:04 PM
We're not going to win every game. Barring a Celtic collapse of epic proportions we're not going to finish 2nd or higher. We're going to drop points in games we should be winning (e.g. Dundee United). That's the reality of the situation. But if you'd said we'd be in 3rd place by Christmas (12 points clear of 5th) and in a up semi with no Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen or Hearts left 99% of fans would have snapped your hand off. Not to mention the current 9 game unbeaten run.

Of course the semi defeat to Hearts was painful but that's done and dusted. Those p*icks never won the cup anyways thankfully! So let's look forward with some optimism 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

superfurryhibby
24-12-2020, 12:09 PM
But then by the same token, we effectively ‘stole’ some points in other games, St Johnstone away, Dundee United away, Motherwell at home to name but three. Our points total won’t be far off what our performances have deserved.

Yep, that’s the beauty of football. Dominance of a game doesn’t always lead to a commanding lead. Sometimes a team throws it away, at other times momentum shifts for 10-15 mins and that’s all the opposition need to take advantage.

Hibs have shown good resilience over the course of this season. We’re a decent side, but far from infallible. In my view, we’re only going to get better under Ross. He’s approaching his third transfer window and will look to further mould the side, albeit that he will need to wheel and deal a bit.

I suppose it’s only natural to think of the what ifs, like what if we hadn’t lost late goals or missed a crucial penalty. Fine margins that separate the good from the very good.

Here’s hoping they grasp the opportunity to join an elite group of Hibs teams who win a trophy.

Just a bit of a ******* that we can’t get into watch them, they deserve to be roared on in front a packed ER.

brog
24-12-2020, 12:38 PM
Strangely, I was going to start a similar thread but concentrating mainly on some less obvious statistics. My intended post was driven by social media comments re our inability to protect a lead so that is my starting point. Some of these stats may change some inbuilt perceptions!
1. We have protected a 1 goal lead on 10 occasions this season (League cup & league)
2. We have failed to protect a lead twice, costing us 4 points. We haven't lost from a leading position.
3. We have come back from a losing position in 3 games to earn 1 draw & 2 wins. (LC & League)
4. We have played & won all 5 games on a synthetic surface this season scoring 13 & conceding 3
5, In the League, we have the joint 2nd best defensive record per game & the 3rd best goal scoring record.
6. We are responsible for 40% of the league goals conceded by The Rangers.

There's no doubt we're a work in progress but equally I don't think there's any doubt there has been progress. The Hearts game cast a major shadow over the season but we've reacted well since. Like many I was tearing my hair out on Saturday & again last night at us giving the ball away unnecessarily but the stats above suggest we're doing most things right. Hopefully we continue in the right direction though Saturday will be a huge test.

brog
24-12-2020, 03:14 PM
Strangely, I was going to start a similar thread but concentrating mainly on some less obvious statistics. My intended post was driven by social media comments re our inability to protect a lead so that is my starting point. Some of these stats may change some inbuilt perceptions!
1. We have protected a 1 goal lead on 10 occasions this season (League cup & league)
2. We have failed to protect a lead twice, costing us 4 points. We haven't lost from a leading position.
3. We have come back from a losing position in 3 games to earn 1 draw & 2 wins. (LC & League)
4. We have played & won all 5 games on a synthetic surface this season scoring 13 & conceding 3
5, In the League, we have the joint 2nd best defensive record per game & the 3rd best goal scoring record.

There's no doubt we're a work in progress but equally I don't think there's any doubt there has been progress. The Hearts game cast a major shadow over the season but we've reacted well since. Like many I was tearing my hair out on Saturday & again last night at us giving the ball away unnecessarily but the stats above suggest we're doing most things right. Hopefully we continue in the right direction though Saturday will be a huge test.

The stat I missed out is we have nearly 50% league clean sheets, 9/19.

JimBHibees
24-12-2020, 03:20 PM
Jack Ross and his team have a remarkable record thus far, long may it continue.

Can't disagree been an exceptional league season thus far

foxy
24-12-2020, 04:44 PM

We've won 6 out of 6 (Killie, Livi, Hamilton, Alloa, Cove & Forfar) scoring 14 and conceding 3

basehibby
24-12-2020, 04:48 PM

Well done Hibs.

Great form leaving us in a cup semi and third in the league - bring on 2021!

superfurryhibby
24-12-2020, 05:00 PM

Those stats are all very telling, great information.

We are actually very good at protecting a one goal lead, managing this 10 times and only conceding points twice when we’ve been in front ( including the draw with Celtic).

50% clean sheets ( what’s the origin of that phrase?) is also a very good sounding stat, especially combined with our goals for and against stats.

Stating the obvious, but if we can only add a few more goals, ideally from our midfielders, none of whom score enough ( is Boyle a midfielder? ).

berwickhibee
24-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Just watching on the Iplayer, drey Wright had an excellent 2nd half.