PDA

View Full Version : Spoty

Greenbeard
21-12-2020, 07:17 AM
I used to really look forward to the BBC Sports Review of the Year. Great summary of the sporting year with a decent sport-specific slot on all the major sports voiced by one of the sport's leading and knowledgeable commentators. Going back, IIRC, there used to be just two awards - the main "personality" award at the end of the show and the overseas personality, won so often by Ali.
It's probably partly down to the BBC not having the same sort of sports footage they used to have pre-satellite, but it's now morphed into a cross between the Pride of Britain Awards, TOTP and Britain's Got Talent (Poetry). Sir Tom's and the wee CP lad's fundraising efforts are amazing but it ain't sport. For them to receive major year-end "sports" awards is a mirror of proper sport in schools and community being merged with heath-related activity. That has it's place for sure but leave recognition of achievements in that field to Davina and the like and you can take an informed decision on your choice of viewing. I was too bored to keep watching last night beyond half way so switched over to find something decent on Netflix. Rebellion was miles better viewing.

BoomtownHibees
21-12-2020, 07:27 AM
Thought this was another Craig Gordon post

jacomo
21-12-2020, 07:45 AM
I’ve always found SPOTY quite tedious, and they’ve invented special awards for this or that as long as I can remember. It’s often been biased towards the sports that BBC has rights for too.

At least Lewis Hamilton is a worthy winner, rather than a rower or something. He’s truly one of the greatest sports people of his generation, in any discipline, and arguably the greatest F1 driver ever.

dchibs
21-12-2020, 08:17 AM

:agree: same here.

Since452
21-12-2020, 08:21 AM
I’ve always found SPOTY quite tedious, and they’ve invented special awards for this or that as long as I can remember. It’s often been biased towards the sports that BBC has rights for too.

At least Lewis Hamilton is a worthy winner, rather than a rower or something. He’s truly one of the greatest sports people of his generation, in any discipline, and arguably the greatest F1 driver ever.

Massively overrated in my opinion. Driving a car 2 seconds faster than the opposition. Way behind Schumacher, Senna, Prost etc for me

Nicho87
21-12-2020, 08:24 AM
What programs does Alex Scott not present now?

HFC93
21-12-2020, 08:25 AM

Same haha.

worcesterhibby
21-12-2020, 08:34 AM
It's become a tedious, boring opportunity for constant virtue signalling by the Beeb these days. Stopped watching or caring long ago.

I watch much less sport these days as I'm not prepared to spend the large sums involved in having Sky Sports, BT Sport and Premier Sports just so I can watch the major events. I used to really look forward to the Golf Majors but now never see any of them and have lost interest in pro golf as a result.

Berwickhibby
21-12-2020, 08:38 AM
I was just pleased that Matt Ratana won posthumously the unsung hero award... R.I.P Kiwi

Speedy
21-12-2020, 09:09 AM
What programs does Alex Scott not present now?

The one's that Rylan Clark presents? :greengrin

They're both pretty good in fairness to them.

ShadesLongThrow
21-12-2020, 09:16 AM
It was great to see Jackie Brown get a mention in the sports stars who left us this year. Boxing legend and lovely guy.

The Baldmans Comb
21-12-2020, 09:29 AM
I have always found it a very dull manufactured programme trying to steer the viewer towards areas where the BBC has strong broadcasting rights for and trying to pretend that the BBC has some sort of pompous semi feudal monopoly on award giving.

It used to mean something to win the Sports Personality of the year but some of the more recent winners were from sports where to be generous the sports in question are rather discredited in terms of meaningful competition due to their drugs tainted history.

Hopefully this year that English guy Hamilton scooped the award from the motor racing as his success is genuine and impressive.

jacomo
21-12-2020, 09:53 AM
Massively overrated in my opinion. Driving a car 2 seconds faster than the opposition. Way behind Schumacher, Senna, Prost etc for me

You’re entitled to your opinion, but it’s absolute nonsense. In what possible way is he way behind the other drivers you’ve mentioned?

Beefster
21-12-2020, 09:58 AM

If by ‘rower’ you mean Steve Redgrave, you couldn’t be more wrong. A guy who battled Ulcerative Colitis to become one of the greatest Olympians of all time in a sport where you move under your own steam vs a guy who, whilst a great driver, has won the vast majority of his honours when he had the best car/engine.

The very best F1 drivers win despite the car, not because of it.

Pretty Boy
21-12-2020, 10:06 AM
I still enjoy it and I like the community stuff and the unsung heroes and so on. Probably more than the main awards if I'm honest. Doddie Weir didn't win the Helen Rollason Award for his sporting achievement but it was still well deserved, same with Tom Moore.

I like the fact it recognises that sport (or physical activity) goes beyond the elite, is something that anyone can participate in and can be a huge force for good.

Since452
You’re entitled to your opinion, but it’s absolute nonsense. In what possible way is he way behind the other drivers you’ve mentioned?

Well Schumacher won two world championships with Benetton and single handedly dragged Ferrari from it's knees. Senna was winning races for Lotus and was a phenomenon. Prost was holding on to 1000bhp cars with no power steering and routinely beating Senna. Hamilton was put through McLaren's young driver program and got a seat when they had the best car by miles. Then on to Mercedes when they've been in basically a different formula for years. Even Nico Rosberg won a championship with Mercedes (beating Hamilton). Those drivers and even the likes of Mansell would have chewed Hamilton up and spat him out

.Sean.
If by ‘rower’ you mean Steve Redgrave, you couldn’t be more wrong. A guy who battled Ulcerative Colitis to become one of the greatest Olympians of all time in a sport where you move under your own steam vs a guy who, whilst a great driver, has won the vast majority of his honours when he had the best car/engine.

T1 diabetic too

DaveF
21-12-2020, 10:25 AM
Lewis Hamilton has a personality?

Hibs Class
21-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Some years it can be great, especially where there have been multiple global events such as Olympics, World Cups where there is real competition for the prizes, whilst in other years it's a bit flat if there's been less on. With the year we've just had, it was always going to be light on memorable events and I think the programme last night just reflected that sense of a near-nothing year.

sauzee=legend
21-12-2020, 10:47 AM

100% spot on.
As soon as he is caught in traffic... he panics and can’t pass as the car overheats.
Also amazing how much luck he gets with safety cars etc too

jacomo
21-12-2020, 10:58 AM

I’d say there is a lot more skill involved in F1 driving than rowing.

Hamilton has bested every team mate he’s had and won races when he has not had the best car. He’s also won without barging any opponent off the road.

Whether you like him or not, he has proven himself beyond serious criticism. Whether he is GOAT or not is subjective to an extent, but he is absolutely one of the greatest.

Keith_M
21-12-2020, 11:01 AM
Can't argue with the winner.

Well deserved.

Bangkok Hibby
21-12-2020, 11:07 AM
I got torn a new ******** for saying this earlier but my opinion remains. Great racing driver-ok, best ever racing driver-maybe.
Best British sportsman-not even close.

jacomo
21-12-2020, 11:55 AM
100% spot on.
As soon as he is caught in traffic... he panics and can’t pass as the car overheats.
Also amazing how much luck he gets with safety cars etc too

Absolute rubbish.

Ask anyone who actually knows about motorsport - Hamilton is one of the most assured overtakers there has been. This is one of the ways you can assess his ability: the others being his pace in wet or bad weather, his ability to get the best out of a car, his ability to dig out a qualifying time, and his consistency. In all of these he is either peerless or at the very top.

jacomo
21-12-2020, 12:00 PM
I got torn a new ******** for saying this earlier but my opinion remains. Great racing driver-ok, best ever racing driver-maybe.
Best British sportsman-not even close.

Who should have got it, in your opinion?

I quite enjoyed Alan McManus at the snooker world championship, opining that Ronnie O’Sullivan should be recognised as GOAT in any discipline, because he is the best in his sport.

Surely, the greatest sportsman is someone who is best in their field? Lewis Hamilton unquestionably is that. Also, he has made a big stand for BLM this year, in a sport that has very little non-white representation, and not surprising that a lot of people love him for that.

blackpoolhibs
21-12-2020, 12:02 PM
Maybe best sportsman of the year, but he has the personality of a kitchen door. :confused:

The 90+2
21-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Back in the day sports review of the year was amazing the week before sports personality of the year who was an actual personality.

jacomo
21-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Maybe best sportsman of the year, but he has the personality of a kitchen door. :confused:

His commitment to taking BLM into F1 - initially on his own - suggests otherwise.

The 90+2
21-12-2020, 12:41 PM
His commitment to taking BLM into F1 - initially on his own - suggests otherwise.

Does he pay a tv license while tax evading in Monaco?

jacomo
21-12-2020, 12:46 PM

I’ve no idea. I’m pretty sure he’s got a home in the UK so the answer is probably yes. But that is a separate issue.

I think Cristiano Ronaldo is an utter t***. However, I wouldn’t let that blind me to the fact that he clearly one of the greatest footballers to play the game. That would be ridiculous.

The 90+2
21-12-2020, 12:47 PM
I’ve no idea. I’m pretty sure he’s got a home in the UK so the answer is probably yes. But that is a separate issue.

I think Cristiano Ronaldo is an utter t***. However, I wouldn’t let that blind me to the fact that he clearly one of the greatest footballers to play the game. That would be ridiculous.

Fair point mate. 👍

CMurdoch
21-12-2020, 12:57 PM
There is very little magic, no mystique and no innocence in sport anymore, corporate money and wall to wall TV coverage by pay to view broadcasters, who buy up every meaningful event, has seen to that. Sport is now just another investment cash cow for the rich and this show from another era lost it's magic a long long time ago for all but the young.

blackpoolhibs
21-12-2020, 01:00 PM

Ronaldo is a great footballer, and he also has a bit of a personality. I wouldn't say Hamilton has a great personality, although to be fair the award should be best sportsman of the year.

ancient hibee
21-12-2020, 01:14 PM
In the days long ago(pause for yawns)when Sportsview started when there were only the two channels and ITV was only interested in wrestling this was a great show. There were no video recorders and very few repeats of sport previously shown live. As a result if you missed something live you missed it-no second chance. The review of the year actually was great for seeing stuff for the first time.It was controversial from the outset Chris Chataway,a great athlete,was the first winner.Roger Bannister was second despite having achieved the 4 minute mile that year.Chataway had appeared live on BBC in somegreat vraces from White City and that seemed to sway the vote.One of the early winners was the great Scottish swimmer Ian Black famously being demoted from being a prefect by his headmaster for taking time off to train and compete.

Bangkok Hibby
21-12-2020, 01:27 PM
Who should have got it, in your opinion?

I quite enjoyed Alan McManus at the snooker world championship, opining that Ronnie O’Sullivan should be recognised as GOAT in any discipline, because he is the best in his sport.

Surely, the greatest sportsman is someone who is best in their field? Lewis Hamilton unquestionably is that. Also, he has made a big stand for BLM this year, in a sport that has very little non-white representation, and not surprising that a lot of people love him for that.

Ah sorry I was more addressing the current social media love in with Lewis Hamilton where he has more than once been hailed as one of Britains greatest ever sportsmen. Thats what I dont agree with.

Phil MaGlass
21-12-2020, 02:34 PM
Well Schumacher won two world championships with Benetton and single handedly dragged Ferrari from it's knees. Senna was winning races for Lotus and was a phenomenon. Prost was holding on to 1000bhp cars with no power steering and routinely beating Senna. Hamilton was put through McLaren's young driver program and got a seat when they had the best car by miles. Then on to Mercedes when they've been in basically a different formula for years. Even Nico Rosberg won a championship with Mercedes (beating Hamilton). Those drivers and even the likes of Mansell would have chewed Hamilton up and spat him out

Agree with this, even Russell could be world champion in that car. Imagine Max Verstappen in that car too. Its a good feat but great, nah.

Radium
21-12-2020, 02:50 PM
Hamilton, the only black driver in F1 history, who came from a normal upbringing without a F1 dad or billionaire sponsor to stand on the top step of his sport. Similar to Schumacher he joined one of the great teams before they were winning and created a dynasty with them.

Not everyone’s choice but a deserving winner this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EI255
21-12-2020, 03:15 PM
Thought this was another Craig Gordon postSo did I!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
21-12-2020, 04:35 PM
Agree with this, even Russell could be world champion in that car. Imagine Max Verstappen in that car too. Its a good feat but great, nah.
Why hasn’t Bottas ever been champion then? Why was Hamilton champion when was with mclaren? That wasn’t the best car. There’s been a lot of talk about Hamilton on this thread, some of it has been ridiculous. To say Hamilton can’t overtake is one of the most preposterous things I’ve read on the internet.

jacomo
21-12-2020, 04:44 PM

That’s a cute story but actually rubbish.

The truth is that Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne (you can find out who they are yourself if you don’t know) were hired by Ferrari to turn them around and given a big budget to do so, including hiring the best drivers. They chose Schumacher because he’d already won the championship at Benetton. They also built some brilliant cars.

This is not to denigrate Schumacher, but to point out that the best drivers tend to end up at the best teams (just as the best players tend to end up at the best clubs) and they don’t achieve anything ‘single-handedly’. Schumacher played a big part in Ferrari’s revival but he didn’t and couldn’t do it on his own.

Danderhall Hibs
21-12-2020, 04:47 PM
Why hasn’t Bottas ever been champion then? Why was Hamilton champion when was with mclaren? That wasn’t the best car. There’s been a lot of talk about Hamilton on this thread, some of it has been ridiculous. To say Hamilton can’t overtake is one of the most preposterous things I’ve read on the internet.

:agree: I watched a race earlier this year where he was penalised and ended up near the back - he went through the field and finished in the top 5/6. Also think you see who the best drivers are when it’s raining - invariably Hamilton comes in to his own.

Maybe if he told a few jokes though he’d be a more worthy winner?

lord bunberry
21-12-2020, 04:58 PM
:agree: I watched a race earlier this year where he was penalised and ended up near the back - he went through the field and finished in the top 5/6. Also think you see who the best drivers are when it’s raining - invariably Hamilton comes in to his own.

Maybe if he told a few jokes though he’d be a more worthy winner?
Yes, Hamilton has come from the back of the grid on numerous occasions and is brilliant in the wet. He’s not my favourite driver on the grid but he’s the benchmark, only Rosberg has got close to competing with him and he had a lot of luck on his side that season.

Since452
21-12-2020, 05:01 PM
That’s a cute story but actually rubbish.

The truth is that Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne (you can find out who they are yourself if you don’t know) were hired by Ferrari to turn them around and given a big budget to do so, including hiring the best drivers. They chose Schumacher because he’d already won the championship at Benetton. They also built some brilliant cars.

This is not to denigrate Schumacher, but to point out that the best drivers tend to end up at the best teams (just as the best players tend to end up at the best clubs) and they don’t achieve anything ‘single-handedly’. Schumacher played a big part in Ferrari’s revival but he didn’t and couldn’t do it on his own.

Rubbish in your opinion of course pal. Answered your question no need to get arsey.

The 90+2
21-12-2020, 05:36 PM
Hamilton, the only black driver in F1 history, who came from a normal upbringing without a F1 dad or billionaire sponsor to stand on the top step of his sport. Similar to Schumacher he joined one of the great teams before they were winning and created a dynasty with them.

Not everyone’s choice but a deserving winner this year.

I agree with the sentiment but I’ve got a deep down feeling he’s a tit that’s completely up his own arse.

cabbageandribs1875
21-12-2020, 06:46 PM

:agree: tax avoiders, pfft, and we usually have gary barlow on children in need, yet another tax avoider pleading with low earners to donate...it's sickening how tax avoiders are held in such high esteem/win awards, the ****s

Radium
21-12-2020, 08:34 PM

... you realise the trap? Similar to the Honours System, focus on a few high profile sports or entertainment stats, use up all the column inches and not have time to scrutinise the Jim Ratcliffes of the world. Knight of the realm who recently welshed on his commitment to build a car in the UK, supported Brexit, wanted to frak in Scotland and happens to be a Monaco resident worth £21 billion.

Like Jimmy Carr and all the others Hamilton runs brilliant interference.

CMurdoch
21-12-2020, 08:40 PM
... you realise the trap? Similar to the Honours System, focus on a few high profile sports or entertainment stats, use up all the column inches and not have time to scrutinise the Jim Ratcliffes of the world. Knight of the realm who recently welshed on his commitment to build a car in the UK, supported Brexit, wanted to frak in Scotland and happens to be a Monaco resident worth £21 billion.

Like Jimmy Carr and all the others Hamilton runs brilliant interference.

'tis true

Glory Lurker
21-12-2020, 08:41 PM
How’s driving a car considered a sport anyway? I do it loads but apparently it doesn’t count as exercise? :confused:

jacomo
21-12-2020, 11:05 PM
Rubbish in your opinion of course pal. Answered your question no need to get arsey.

No it’s actual rubbish. Not being arsey but sorry if I’ve upset you. You’ve belittled the hard work and genius of a lot of people, I just wanted to give a fuller and more accurate picture.

jacomo
21-12-2020, 11:09 PM
How’s driving a car considered a sport anyway? I do it loads but apparently it doesn’t count as exercise? :confused:

Take a F1 car for a few laps and tell us your opinion then. By all accounts, you will never forget it.

Gerhart Berger, a driver in the 80s and early 90s, used to say that there was a corner at Spa that exerted so much g on his body that he would black out momentarily every lap. So he would steer the car in the direction he wanted to go, hit the throttle, and then hope he was still pointing in the right direction when he came to again.

WeeRussell
21-12-2020, 11:50 PM
I didn’t bother watching it - never been a religious watcher and can take or leave it, although did enjoy the feature on Doddie Weir last year. As someone mentioned, it’s more the wee sideshows and other awards I would be interested in than the SPOTY which I never think means a great deal really, not for those that are regularly competing for trophies and medals.

Anyway, I’m certainly not an F1 fan, nor a lover of Lewis Hamilton, but I don’t get why so many people are so strongly against him or his winning of it.

I would like to have seen Hollie Doyle win, as a biased horse racing fan, but I don’t think many can really argue with Hamilton coming out on top.

Greenbeard
22-12-2020, 06:57 AM
Take a F1 car for a few laps and tell us your opinion then. By all accounts, you will never forget it.

Gerhart Berger, a driver in the 80s and early 90s, used to say that there was a corner at Spa that exerted so much g on his body that he would black out momentarily every lap. So he would steer the car in the direction he wanted to go, hit the throttle, and then hope he was still pointing in the right direction when he came to again.
Aye I am not an F1 fan and find it incredibly boring but I do recall some of the F1 drivers back in the day being some of the best performers in the gym tests in Superstars - squat thrusts, dips etc. I also remember some smart alec taking off his shoes for the one-minute squat thrusts and letting his socks just slide along the gym floor as he pumped away as fast as he could, only to totally rip the skin off the top of his feet and end up with very bloody socks. Off at a tangent I know but so is 95% of this thread. If it was going off on a tangent after my OP I expected it to be about the merits of Rebellion on Netflix!

Since452
22-12-2020, 07:10 AM
No it’s actual rubbish. Not being arsey but sorry if I’ve upset you. You’ve belittled the hard work and genius of a lot of people, I just wanted to give a fuller and more accurate picture.

Your biggest mistake was trying to be cocky and unknowingly pick an argument with someone with a pretty good knowledge of formula one. Gave you a response you didn't like and got arsey. Like I said rubbish in your opinion. I'm out.

jacomo
22-12-2020, 08:14 AM
Your biggest mistake was trying to be cocky and unknowingly pick an argument with someone with a pretty good knowledge of formula one. Gave you a response you didn't like and got arsey. Like I said rubbish in your opinion. I'm out.

If you’ve got pretty good knowledge why are you talking mince?