PDA

View Full Version : Negativity

Northernhibee
19-12-2020, 09:50 PM
It's getting not just boring but toxic on here. Nobody is "celebrating" drawing 1-1 against Dundee United but similarly it seems that a number of posters on here want to one-up each other in who can be the most negative and doom & gloom about what was a scoreline that didn't reflect a really good performance.

Threads slating players who are likely still getting up to speed after injuries, lazy threads calling our bottle into question when we've not lost a game in notably over a calendar month, pathetic bickering for those who dare to be as positive as just balanced or realistic about a game. This isn't going on about getting angry or frustrated in the heat of the moment about things, this is wallowing and revelling in any negative point that can be found and generally making these boards a bloody miserable read for a lot of people.

The constant dragging up of the semi final is tiring - to be absolutely clear to everyone, it's done, dusted and over. We've been on a good run of form recently with some very good football played. We know that we lost a game. You don't have to bring it up on every single thread.

We are third in the league and are disappointed tonight that we're not second. That tells a huge story. We have a number of talented young players in the team - Porteous, Macgennis, Mackie, Doig Nisbet as well as some more experienced talent like McGinn, Murphy, Doidge, Newell. We even have players who have stepped their game up like Hallberg and are proving the doubters wrong. We should be bloody delighted by this and celebrating the large amount of international call-ups we've had.

For ****s sakes, sort it out. This year has been ****ty for everyone and football has been an escape for many in these times. If you're negative because you're struggling yourself, then reach out and get help - CALM, SAMH, speaking to those about you. If you're negative because you like the attention then get a hobby as it's dragging down a lot of good posters on here who want to enjoy the football, enjoy chatting about a team who are doing well in the league and have a cracking shot at the League Cup and also want to have a bit of a laugh about all things Hibs related too.

If you can't do that and need the attention so badly, go and get a new hobby.

B.H.F.C
19-12-2020, 09:56 PM
For me, the people talking about negativity stand out more than any negativity itself.

Don’t get me wrong, there is the odd utterly ridiculous comment but it’s not the norm. I think most folk accept we are doing reasonably well but could be doing a bit better, something they alluded to on Sportscene tonight.

Jack Ross said today was the angriest he’s been all season. Is he just being negative?

Hiber-nation
19-12-2020, 09:56 PM
Some absolute nonsense on here tonight. But if Jack Ross was angry today then the fans have the right to criticise constructively.

zitelli62
19-12-2020, 09:59 PM
After watching hibs for 50 odd years I've seen some s**** over the years but this team us nowhere near in this category in fact I've high Hope's for the future under this manager and most of the players, the snowflake generation are only used to big days out over the last 10 years or so and dont know what crap is everyone should just calm down were 3rd in the league with some games coming up that we have a good chance of winning.

Northernhibee
19-12-2020, 10:01 PM
Some absolute nonsense on here tonight. But if Jack Ross was angry today then the fans have the right to criticise constructively.

Quite right, but there is a lot - and I mean a lot - of absolutely OTT bizarre posts. If you were to look at quite a few threads on here you'd think we were back in the Calderwood/Butcher days, or indeed on the club's social media pages.

There's a big difference between constructive and hysterical. There's been quite a lot of the latter recently and it needs to stop as it's making the site less and less enjoyable to read.

hibbysam
19-12-2020, 10:04 PM

While true, the criticism has to be aimed at the right places. We never bottled anything, we aren’t *****bags etc, we missed loads of chances and those who missed them should take the flak, but in the main we defended very well, built play extremely well, played at a high tempo and apart from our finishing the majority of our players were at it today.

Iggy Pope
19-12-2020, 10:05 PM
I half heartedly suggested a reboot on another thread but it’s not far away surely, not that I would dare presume make those calls as a punter on the back of a tenner a year..
We all get sucked into things, we all get frustrated but dragging everybody down with at least four utterly pointless, yet provocative threads, has pushed this draw at home today into the surreal.

heretoday
19-12-2020, 10:10 PM
1-1 is better than 0-1.

BILLYHIBS
19-12-2020, 10:14 PM
1-1 is better than 0-1.

Not from a game we should have won 5-1

:cb

Pretty Boy
19-12-2020, 10:18 PM
The best way to deal with people who you feel are being negative purely to provoke a reaction, create unrest or drag the board down is to report it and ignore it.

Every week we get threads and posts declaring how much worse things are getting. That engagement is only going to encourage people posting for a reaction to keep doing so, every time one of those posts is responded to it carries on the conversation. It also stifles and discourage genuinely constructive criticism or valid 'negative' observations for fear of getting lumped into that group. That does nothing to improve the quality of discussion on the board.

Iggy Pope
19-12-2020, 10:21 PM
The best way to deal with people who you feel are being negative purely to provoke a reaction, create unrest or drag the board down is to report it and ignore it.

Every week we get threads and posts declaring how much worse things are getting. That engagement is only going to encourage people posting for a reaction to keep doing so, every time one of those posts is responded to it carries on the conversation. It also stifles and discourage genuinely constructive criticism or valid 'negative' observations for fear of getting lumped into that group. That does nothing to improve the quality of discussion on the board.

I’d close the thread with that.

cabbageandribs1875
19-12-2020, 10:22 PM
the ignore function is a positivity...and easy to implement :)

Northernhibee
19-12-2020, 10:28 PM
the ignore function is a positivity...and easy to implement :)

It also doesn't work particularly well - quoted posts will still often show and the match day threads often have half the screen taken up with a post being hidden.

Continuing to ignore it isn't doing anything to improve it.

matty_f
19-12-2020, 10:28 PM
Not from a game we should have won 5-1

:cb

No, even then it’s still better.

AFKA5814_Hibs
19-12-2020, 10:32 PM
Most Hibs fans, myself included, are frustrated at losing yet another lead. I'm sure we're not the only ones, but it does appear that we do lose a fair number of late goals when we should be winning games. That's where the frustration comes from.

BILLYHIBS
19-12-2020, 10:33 PM
No, even then it’s still better.
Anything better than a 0-1 Matty been watching HIBS for 60 years but feels like a loss that’s why Jack Ross is raging

HibeeHibernian4
19-12-2020, 10:34 PM
It boils down to grown adult posters on this site not being able to come to terms with Hibs losing a behind closed doors derby that they (and only they) had massively overhyped. How folk still get themselves worked up expecting we’re going to pump Hearts before every derby is beyond me.

NAE NOOKIE
19-12-2020, 10:40 PM
It's not negativity, its total frustration. Nobody is faulting the performance of the team up to the final third, but it's inexcusable to make as many chances as we did today and not take a single one, even the goal we did score was supposed to be a cross.

If we can play like we did today in most games it will be great watching Hibs this season, but playing like that and failing to turn it into wins just makes the dropped points harder to take.

St Mirren are on a great run, beat them in midweek and we will be back on course.

wookie70
19-12-2020, 10:45 PM
No idea if I am one of the posters being called out here. I questioned our finishing in the match thread to be told I had an "eejits mentality" I was then pulled up for giving their Keeper no credit when the start of my post was "Great saves from their keeper but". Those who misquote or abuse other forum members are who I take issue with. It is a forum so to me we are entitled to our views and anyone who disagrees are entitled to be challenge. What isn't acceptable is all the personal abuse that gets thrown around and all the reading something into posts that simply isn't there. Saying that it is an internet forum where we all support the same team and all want us to get a result. During a match thread you should expect tensions and emotions to run high and expect reactions to events.

cabbageandribs1875
19-12-2020, 10:52 PM
It also doesn't work particularly well - quoted posts will still often show and the match day threads often have half the screen taken up with a post being hidden.

Continuing to ignore it isn't doing anything to improve it.

i honestly haven't noticed that, the ones i've put on ignore i can't see what they are typing...even when quoted, but what i have noticed is it does appear if using ispy, also if a user changes username(a common occurrence) i have to do some detective work and it doesn't take long to notice their old username and have to repeat the ignore process.

keep the faith
19-12-2020, 11:25 PM
Agree entirely with the OP. The Drey Wright thread yesterday and the bottlers one today are the tip of a miserable iceberg on here.
I really like this hibs side (and the manager) and the potential it has and find the faux anger when the slightest thing goes wrong mega boring.

B.H.F.C
19-12-2020, 11:46 PM
No idea if I am one of the posters being called out here. I questioned our finishing in the match thread to be told I had an "eejits mentality" I was then pulled up for giving their Keeper no credit when the start of my post was "Great saves from their keeper but". Those who misquote or abuse other forum members are who I take issue with. It is a forum so to me we are entitled to our views and anyone who disagrees are entitled to be challenge. What isn't acceptable is all the personal abuse that gets thrown around and all the reading something into posts that simply isn't there. Saying that it is an internet forum where we all support the same team and all want us to get a result. During a match thread you should expect tensions and emotions to run high and expect reactions to events.

To be fair Jack Ross spoke about being angry and how it wasn’t all good goalkeeping, but poor finishing, today. At least you and him can be ‘eejits’ together eh.

ekhibee
19-12-2020, 11:50 PM
In terms of negativity, that seems to be what that Creighton woman on Sportscene thrives on. She struggled to compliment Hibs for anything and was banging on about DU's strong defensive performance.

B.H.F.C
19-12-2020, 11:54 PM
In terms of negativity, that seems to be what that Creighton woman on Sportscene thrives on. She struggled to compliment Hibs for anything and was banging on about DU's strong defensive performance.

Scottish punditry isn’t always great. But giving the likes of her a gig, to tick a box, isn’t going to improve it!

andrew70
20-12-2020, 12:08 AM
Scottish punditry isn’t always great. But giving the likes of her a gig, to tick a box, isn’t going to improve it!

Agreed the only ones I have any time for are McCoist, Sutton and Stewart.

Cannot stand Craigan and Rae. Crichton is a token gesture. Compared to Alex Scott down south and you see how short she pulls up.

heretoday
20-12-2020, 03:15 AM

Hear hear! Let her comment on women's football (which no one cares a hoot about) but leave the chaps to discuss the real thing, however inarticulate they may be.

The 90+2
20-12-2020, 04:38 AM
We lost a last minute equaliser against a pretty poor team. I’m not sure what is to be expected? Just an “oh well we are still third?” We should be sitting second tonight and it’s so frustrating. The people negative at some of the team aspects are not the people sending personal insults to anyone on here though. It seems to be a free hit at times to rip anyone’s opinion and hide behind them being negative. Everyone should be allowed to express their opinion without victimisation imo.

The 90+2
20-12-2020, 04:39 AM
Hear hear! Let her comment on women's football (which no one cares a hoot about) but leave the chaps to discuss the real thing, however inarticulate they may be.

It’s not about employing woman, it’s about putting them in just for the sake of it because they are female. If she’s the best for the position then fair enough.

Yorkshire HFC
20-12-2020, 06:03 AM
I can't get any enthusiasm for this season - without fans at the games, it all seems a bit pointless to me.

I don't think you can judge the players or the manager in these circumstances - hopefully we'll be back to normal football next season, and we can start from there. Similarly, for the fans, maybe some people have more time on their hands at the moment, and take the opportunity to take their frustrations out on a football team?

The semi final was the only game I had any interest in - unfortunately.

neil7908
20-12-2020, 06:22 AM
Oh good, another thread having a go at others for negativity.

Maybe someone should tell Jack Ross to not be so negative given his comments after the game?

Agree with the post above. Its much harder to enjoy the wins sitting on the sofa, and the defeats/draws like yesterday are much harder when you can't enjoy the highs. Football workout fans is not the same.

Folk are struggling right now, i see it at work when I deal with the public. It's only natural that football will also get some of that, especially given we have thrown away a number leads this season and could see our rivals win a cup today when we should be in their place.

Greenbeard
20-12-2020, 06:31 AM
It’s not about employing woman, it’s about putting them in just for the sake of it because they are female. If she’s the best for the position then fair enough.
She's not and probably knows it herself, thus accepting being a token.

Greenbeard
20-12-2020, 06:45 AM
What's this forum for? To share in the joy of victory and positivity around what currently is an above average Hibs squad? Tick.
But not just that. It is just as much a forum to vent your frustrations, nay anger, as in yesterday's failure to see the game out over the last 10mins, and that will always likely be negative. Just as it would be over a few post-match pints.
As above, I was frustrated by, not angry at, our failure to convert some of the multiple chances we had, and thought it great that we were getting into positions to create so many opportunities, all allied with one of the best goalkeeping performances I have seen this season. The anger came with the failure to get hold of the ball and control possession in the last 10. We've spent some games this season spending long periods knocking the ball aimlessly about so why couldn't we do it when it mattered late in the game yesterday instead of resorting to the "safety" of hoofing clearances upfield and giving the ball away? This team is better than that. Take that as negativity if you will. I see it as an honest critique which identifies an area in which, for this team, we should have done much much better to protect the slender lead and ensure the 3 points.

calumhibee1
20-12-2020, 06:51 AM
For me, the people talking about negativity stand out more than any negativity itself.

Don’t get me wrong, there is the odd utterly ridiculous comment but it’s not the norm. I think most folk accept we are doing reasonably well but could be doing a bit better, something they alluded to on Sportscene tonight.

Jack Ross said today was the angriest he’s been all season. Is he just being negative?

Absolutely. There’s a desperation now to point out how negative things are on this board/how some people’s negative opinions are so unbelievably ridiculous etc when it’s not really the case.

Two posters yesterday even rounded on somebody on the match thread for saying we’ll regret not getting a second goal if we keep missing chances and criticising him for his ‘negativity’.

This place really isn’t that negative just now. People just want to discuss things which aren’t going as well as they’d have hoped. Being third in the league doesn’t mean there’s absolutely nothing to improve on or that some individual players aren’t doing nearly enough or that we could do with improving certain areas of the team. And people will discuss that.

GreenCastle
20-12-2020, 07:22 AM
Most Hibs fans, myself included, are frustrated at losing yet another lead. I'm sure we're not the only ones, but it does appear that we do lose a fair number of late goals when we should be winning games. That's where the frustration comes from.

This is where I am at too. I watch a lot of football but Hibs have lost an incredible amount of late goals over the last few years and usually from a decent position which affects the outcome.

Everyone was saying it was coming yesterday and it’s like we knew the ending but had to keep watching.

Lack of depth = subs doing nothing really didn’t help - compared to Mallan and Kyle midweek changing the game.

Mindset / mental toughness - more leaders / players with a better mindset are that game out.

As pointed out it’s not negative - it’s just so frustrating and seems different players ( well some like Hanlon have seen many a late goal) but same mistakes.

Brightside
20-12-2020, 07:23 AM
Absolutely. There’s a desperation now to point out how negative things are on this board/how some people’s negative opinions are so unbelievably ridiculous etc when it’s not really the case.

Two posters yesterday even rounded on somebody on the match thread for saying we’ll regret not getting a second goal if we keep missing chances and criticising him for his ‘negativity’.

This place really isn’t that negative just now. People just want to discuss things which aren’t going as well as they’d have hoped. Being third in the league doesn’t mean there’s absolutely nothing to improve on or that some individual players aren’t doing nearly enough or that we could do with improving certain areas of the team. And people will discuss that.

There are people who only post negative stuff. A little bit of 50/50 would be an improvement. If you really don’t like Hibs that much why support them. Imagine being a fan of a music artist yet going on to their forum just to slate their latest album. It’s just odd behaviour. Nothing wrong with saying a player should be better etc but people coming on saying such and such is hopeless are just odd and would be better off getting another hobby.

JimBHibees
20-12-2020, 07:48 AM

Tend to disagree I think everyone recognises losing a late goal in a game we should have been out of sight is deeply frustrating and there would have been no doubt emotional reactions to losing that goal as there were in my house from son and I :greengrin. In saying that imo some of the borderline hysteria on the site obsessing over the semi final, individually targeting players and appearing to give little or no praise for how we are actually doing in reality (3rd in the league in semi final) and appearing to nit pick and over analyse every possible area of weakness has been unbalanced. Balanced analysis is absolutely exactly what the site is for however some of it to me seems to be unfair and overly personal. I think we also need to recognise whereas as at a game we would normally attend like yesterday a lot of the emotions will have dissipated on people's journey home or going out with mates rather than the immediate emotional reactions you will get on here and the responses to the initial reactions. Obviously a lot of posts will completely reflect what is going on in wider society and how people's individual lives and concerns are at present.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-12-2020, 08:16 AM
Not happy with yesterday, but happy with where we are in the league and where we are in general. A lot of negativity could be from disappointment and a knee jerk reaction.

calumhibee1
20-12-2020, 08:20 AM
Tend to disagree I think everyone recognises losing a late goal in a game we should have been out of sight is deeply frustrating and there would have been no doubt emotional reactions to losing that goal as there were in my house from son and I :greengrin. In saying that imo some of the borderline hysteria on the site obsessing over the semi final, individually targeting players and appearing to give little or no praise for how we are actually doing in reality (3rd in the league in semi final) and appearing to nit pick and over analyse every possible area of weakness has been unbalanced. Balanced analysis is absolutely exactly what the site is for however some of it to me seems to be unfair and overly personal. I think we also need to recognise whereas as at a game we would normally attend like yesterday a lot of the emotions will have dissipated on people's journey home or going out with mates rather than the immediate emotional reactions you will get on here and the responses to the initial reactions. Obviously a lot of posts will completely reflect what is going on in wider society and how people's individual lives and concerns are at present.

I mentioned on a thread where I specifically pointed out that I thought Jack Ross has done a decent job - think it was the report card thread - that he had been in charge for the majority of last season, went on a bad run and we finished bottom six.

Regardless of the fact that I’d said he’d been decent, the replies in no way took that into consideration and had people freaking out at the fact I’d pointed out we’d finished bottom six with some even going as far as bizarrely claiming we didn’t even finish bottom six.

There’s a lack of any form of balance from both sides at times, it’s not just from people who want to point out areas we could improve or have a more pessimistic look at things. Some on the other side of the fence are even going as far as making up our league position last season to try and show their view as being correct.

I’m sure at one point the poster was even claiming it was unfair that we finished 7th because St Johnstone had a game postponed against Rangers in November - a game that Hibs of course had no involvement in

The Spaceman
20-12-2020, 08:32 AM
Hibs were absolutely outstanding yesterday and were desperately unlucky not to walk away with all three points and multiple goals to go with it. It’s football and sometimes smash and grab results like that happen.

Any “fan” out for Jack Ross’ head after that can, quite frankly, go and support someone else. We don’t need your negativity or lack of footballing awareness.

JohnM1875
20-12-2020, 08:36 AM
Hibs were absolutely outstanding yesterday and were desperately unlucky not to walk away with all three points and multiple goals to go with it. It’s football and sometimes smash and grab results like that happen.

Any “fan” out for Jack Ross’ head after that can, quite frankly, go and support someone else. We don’t need your negativity or lack of footballing awareness.

Totally agree. We were brilliant at times yesterday.

So frustrating that's two games we've created multiple good chances and only come away with a draw. Yesterday and Ross County away. But as you say, that's football.

wookie70
20-12-2020, 08:50 AM

That nips me too. The old football knowledge comment. It is another way of belittling someone with an opposing view.

I would argue we were very good yesterday but outstanding is a word that I wouldn't use to describe an overall performance when a team is squandering lots of chances.

Not sure I would term it unlucky either. I was at a coaching course and Keith Wright said that saying to kids that they were unlucky when they missed a chance made them think what they were doing was fine and that they just needed to keep doing the same and their luck would change. I suspect we will continue to miss multiple chances if we think yesterdays finishing was all down to luck and their keeper. We need to work on ways of scoring more often with similar chances.

I also haven't seen a single post asking for Jack Ross to go after yesterday's result so you are bringing it up and no-one else.

That is a prime example of an aggressive "positive" post to me. It doesn't bother me too much but is a good example of the fact there are two sides to this and how the language and attitude can get ramped up on either side.

superfurryhibby
20-12-2020, 08:57 AM
I mentioned on a thread where I specifically pointed out that I thought Jack Ross has done a decent job - think it was the report card thread - that he had been in charge for the majority of last season, went on a bad run and we finished bottom six.

Regardless of the fact that I’d said he’d been decent, the replies in no way took that into consideration and had people freaking out at the fact I’d pointed out we’d finished bottom six with some even going as far as bizarrely claiming we didn’t even finish bottom six.

There’s a lack of any form of balance from both sides at times, it’s not just from people who want to point out areas we could improve or have a more pessimistic look at things. Some on the other side of the fence are even going as far as making up our league position last season to try and show their view as being correct.

I’m sure at one point the poster was even claiming it was unfair that we finished 7th because St Johnstone had a game postponed against Rangers in November - a game that Hibs of course had no involvement in

You posted dozens of these posts, saying the same thing over and over on the thread you’re referring to. Amazingly, some people selectively ignored the number of games Ross managed and even contrived to get points total wrong in order to try and show their tiresome viewpoint was correct.

WhileTheChief..
20-12-2020, 08:57 AM

Agreed.

I read a whole load of guff on a daily basis on here but just don’t feel the need to respond to it.

If I read someone being negative and they’re way OTT I simply think wtf to myself and move on to reading the next post. There’s nothing to be gained by me engaging or arguing that point , especially on the match day thread.

Yesterday for example, I found all the posts complaining about the commentator saying “Dundee” a total pain in the ass. One poster made the point, that’s enough in my mind, but loads of others jumped on it.

A little bit of tolerance goes a long way.

Pretty Boy
20-12-2020, 09:02 AM
Agree entirely with the OP. The Drey Wright thread yesterday and the bottlers one today are the tip of a miserable iceberg on here.
I really like this hibs side (and the manager) and the potential it has and find the faux anger when the slightest thing goes wrong mega boring.

I think you have to consider the outcome of those 2 threads as well as the intent though.

The bottlers thread saw the OP roundly shouted down before he was banned and the thread closed. Is it worth getting upset about? The Drey Wright thread started out as a pop at a Hibs player but as it wore on an increasing humber of people showed the guy some support, tried to explain the reasons for his slow start here and expressed hope there was more to come from him. I don't really like the idea of starting a thread to slate a Hibs player but if it provokes a decent discussion and a defence of the player then it's not an entirely bad outcome.

I think it's also easier to remember and react to things we don't agree with. There are loads of positive posters on here, positive threads and positive posts. Indeed many people who don't use hibs.net believe we deliberately moderate the forum so as to censor negative content (we don't). They see that because it's what they expect to see. On the flip side someone who has the mindset that we are a hotbed of negativity will notice and react to the negative far more than the positive.

I'd argue one of the biggest problems is people pre-emptively getting the 1st jab in. We lose a goal - 'oh the bedwetters will be here in a second', we win - 'where are all the negative ones tonight', Porteous makes a mistake - 'we'll be told he's a future Scotland captain in a minute'..... It creates an us v them cycle that we are never going to get out of.

calumhibee1
20-12-2020, 09:09 AM
You posted dozens of these posts, saying the same thing over and over on the thread you’re referring to. Amazingly, some people selectively ignored the number of games Ross managed and even contrived to get points total wrong in order to try and show their tiresome viewpoint was correct.

Of course that’s totally ignoring the fact that the same people kept on replying and keeping the discussion going. But of course it’s only an issue to some folk when the view doesn’t fit their opinion - no issue with the same folk making the same point over and over if they agree with it, plenty issue with people making the same point if they don’t.

Kind of defeats the point of a forum when you take umbrage to people making a point you disagree with.

calumhibee1
20-12-2020, 09:19 AM
Agreed.

I read a whole load of guff on a daily basis on here but just don’t feel the need to respond to it.

If I read someone being negative and they’re way OTT I simply think wtf to myself and move on to reading the next post. There’s nothing to be gained by me engaging or arguing that point , especially on the match day thread.

Yesterday for example, I found all the posts complaining about the commentator saying “Dundee” a total pain in the ass. One poster made the point, that’s enough in my mind, but loads of others jumped on it.

A little bit of tolerance goes a long way.

Yup. Bit of a forum police mentality where they want the board moderated to within an inch of its life so that they can come on and only read the exact same opinion they already have.

As you say, if you don’t like a post or are bored of reading it then move on. It’s even more boring hearing people greet about other people having an opinion or greeting about the way it’s been expressed not being to their taste. Or even worse, posts like the OP where everyone is told very matter of factly what their opinion is and how things on this forum need sorted out so everyone else can fall in line with it.

If someone thinks we’ve been ***** this season then so be it. Who is anybody else on this forum to tell them that they’re wrong? Threads like this declaring that the forum needs ‘sorted out’ because not everybody has the same opinion as you pretty much defeat the whole point of the forum.

The Harp Awakes
20-12-2020, 09:23 AM

Thought we were very good in possession yesterday and an absolute joy to watch at times. We're one of the few Scottish teams who can produce football of that quality.

The frustrating thing is that we are constantly shooting ourselves in the foot for the same reasons. Out of possession we look vulnerable, particularly in the middle of the park. Ross brought Gogic on yesterday to try and introduce some dig and physical presence in midfield, but sadly he looked off the pace. It couldn't be a surprise to anyone when we conceded a late equaliser, even though United looked a poor side.

I think Sportscene pundits summed it up pretty well last night, saying that Hibs should have accumulated quite a few more points than we have. That's not being negative, in fact I think it's a compliment.

If we can sign 1 or 2 key players in January, 3rd should be a minimum and a league cup win should be very do-able.

Hibs90
20-12-2020, 09:31 AM
We don't have to be all optimistic and positive and pretend everything is amazing all the time.

Sometimes you have to be realistic. The reality is our away form is tremendous and home form is far from it. Performances away from home have been very good (aside from maybe one or two) and performances at home not good enough and we are not getting wins. Reality is we played well yesterday but didn't take our chances and combined with some excellent goalkeeping it cost us the 3 points - Nisbet buries that chance we comfortably go on and win. Doidge scores his and it's easy street. We'd be absolutely flying if we had turned some of those 5 draws at home into wins.

superfurryhibby
20-12-2020, 09:43 AM
Of course that’s totally ignoring the fact that the same people kept on replying and keeping the discussion going. But of course it’s only an issue to some folk when the view doesn’t fit their opinion - no issue with the same folk making the same point over and over if they agree with it, plenty issue with people making the same point if they don’t.

Kind of defeats the point of a forum when you take umbrage to people making a point you disagree with.

Yeah, people pointed out that you were factually incorrect to begin with and then highly selective in making the “evidence” fit your viewpoint.

It’s the relentlessly negative people, who disappear whenever there is a good result, that I find particularly tiresome. It’s like they take a holiday from the board until it’s safe to reappear, as if by magic. I think that’s what riles other folk too. Not so much a different viewpoint, just the sense that some folk seem to revel in the negativity for the sake of it.

calumhibee1
20-12-2020, 09:47 AM
Yeah, people pointed out that you were factually incorrect to begin with and then highly selective in making the “evidence” fit your viewpoint.

It’s the relentlessly negative people, who disappear whenever there is a good result, that I find particularly tiresome. It’s like they take a holiday from the board until it’s safe to reappear, as if by magic. I think that’s what riles other folk too. Not so much a different viewpoint, just the sense that some folk seem to revel in the negativity for the sake of it.

If you find people having an opinion that differs from yours, whether that’s positive or negative so tiresome then maybe a forum, designed for people giving there opinions isn’t for you

superfurryhibby
20-12-2020, 09:54 AM
If you find people having an opinion that differs from yours, whether that’s positive or negative so tiresome then maybe a forum, designed for people giving there opinions isn’t for you

No, I like other opinions, I just don’t like people who disappear after a good result. Maybe a Hibs forum is the wrong forum for them? There were a few who stood out as noticeably absent last week for example.

hibbysam
20-12-2020, 09:54 AM

Yup, bit like all the boring nonsense. We were boring when winning and needed a style, then we are outstanding yesterday but drop points and that’s not good enough.

Jim44
20-12-2020, 09:57 AM
Take the ‘eg’ out of the title of this thread and make it more seasonal and positive ......... ‘peace and goodwill’ .......:xwave:xsmilesign:snowman

ancient hibee
20-12-2020, 10:07 AM
Thought we were very good in possession yesterday and an absolute joy to watch at times. We're one of the few Scottish teams who can produce football of that quality.

The frustrating thing is that we are constantly shooting ourselves in the foot for the same reasons. Out of possession we look vulnerable, particularly in the middle of the park. Ross brought Gogic on yesterday to try and introduce some dig and physical presence in midfield, but sadly he looked off the pace. It couldn't be a surprise to anyone when we conceded a late equaliser, even though United looked a poor side.

I think Sportscene pundits summed it up pretty well last night, saying that Hibs should have accumulated quite a few more points than we have. That's not being negative, in fact I think it's a compliment.

If we can sign 1 or 2 key players in January, 3rd should be a minimum and a league cup win should be very do-able.

I didn't see Sportscene. When they said we should have accumulated more points did they take into account matches where we were lucky to get points or scored late to get something? I'm guessing they only took negative results into consideration.

Alfiembra
20-12-2020, 10:12 AM
I think the old adage of “things balance themselves out over the season” is starting to ring true.
It cannot be denied that we had more than our fair share of good fortune early in the season, the goals by Motherwell and St Johnstone that weren’t given just a couple of examples. Doesn’t help with the level of frustration at squandering winning positions but maybe our luck will turn again.

gaz1875
20-12-2020, 10:15 AM
There would be very little negativity if we stopped dropping 2 points at home, in games we dominated or missed great opportunities. Look at the league table, we could be sitting comfortably in 2nd place. At the start of the season I would be happy getting in the top 6 and away from a relegation battle. Now I would be disappointed if we don't get in the top 4.

Sir David Gray
20-12-2020, 10:19 AM
That nips me too. The old football knowledge comment. It is another way of belittling someone with an opposing view.

I would argue we were very good yesterday but outstanding is a word that I wouldn't use to describe an overall performance when a team is squandering lots of chances.

Not sure I would term it unlucky either. I was at a coaching course and Keith Wright said that saying to kids that they were unlucky when they missed a chance made them think what they were doing was fine and that they just needed to keep doing the same and their luck would change. I suspect we will continue to miss multiple chances if we think yesterdays finishing was all down to luck and their keeper. We need to work on ways of scoring more often with similar chances.

I also haven't seen a single post asking for Jack Ross to go after yesterday's result so you are bringing it up and no-one else.

That is a prime example of an aggressive "positive" post to me. It doesn't bother me too much but is a good example of the fact there are two sides to this and how the language and attitude can get ramped up on either side.

Good and balanced post.

I don't want Jack Ross to go, overall I'm happy with our progress in the year or so that he's been in charge. However our inability to finish chances off yesterday really annoyed me and the end result was poor. In fact, although we have only lost once at home so far, we have drawn far too many games at Easter Road. 5 draws out of 8 matches is poor and we really need to work on finishing off the kind of chances we had yesterday.

The Harp Awakes
20-12-2020, 10:20 AM
I didn't see Sportscene. When they said we should have accumulated more points did they take into account matches where we were lucky to get points or scored late to get something? I'm guessing they only took negative results into consideration.

They didn't so it's a fair point you make. They were particularly focusing on the 4 points we've shipped to Dundee United and Celtic, which are more recent games and therefore fresher in the memory.

gaz1875
20-12-2020, 10:26 AM
They didn't so it's a fair point you make. They were particularly focusing on the 4 points we've shipped to Dundee United and Celtic, which are more recent games and therefore fresher in the memory.

And St Johnston. they also mentioned dropping all the points to Aberdeen.

matty_f
20-12-2020, 11:16 AM
I think some criticism is healthy, i think people get frustrated and that’s ok as well.

IMHO, the issue is when folk go OTT with it, so the criticism isn’t balanced or objective, it’s just (at times) abusive and at other times hysterical nonsense.

Threads or posts calling the team bottlers, a team who have flitted around 3rd place all season, reached the semi final of the last 2 cup competitions and are on track for a European spot this season, is nonsense.

Posting we should get rid of Doidge, for example, is nonsense - I accept it’s just an opinion but it’s nonsense.

Starting a thread with the sole purpose of telling people a player isn’t good enough, is over the top.

People will call out overly critical posts, remember this is a forum for people who generally love their football club, and most of us get defensive over things we love.

weecounty hibby
20-12-2020, 11:50 AM
Watched the game yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed watching the way Hibs played. I thought we looked really good and should have scored probably another four or five goals. At times we ripped the Utd defence to bits and but for some unbelievable goalkeeping and some bad misses we would have pumped them. This is the first time I've been in here since the game finished as I knew how it would be. Disappointed to lose but happy how we played and happy that we are still progressing. May stay away from here for another couple of days, especially if the tarts win!!

Crab apple
20-12-2020, 12:24 PM
We came up against a really good keeper yesterday. I was and still am pissed off about the semi defeat but yesterday we played well and were just unlucky. I think we’re on the right track and I’m sure JR and the recruitment team know the areas that need improved.

Northernhibee
20-12-2020, 08:59 PM
Oh good, another thread having a go at others for negativity.

Maybe someone should tell Jack Ross to not be so negative given his comments after the game?

Agree with the post above. Its much harder to enjoy the wins sitting on the sofa, and the defeats/draws like yesterday are much harder when you can't enjoy the highs. Football workout fans is not the same.

Folk are struggling right now, i see it at work when I deal with the public. It's only natural that football will also get some of that, especially given we have thrown away a number leads this season and could see our rivals win a cup today when we should be in their place.

TBF - how much clearer could I have been in the thread title? Still feel that it's something worth challenging as we've not lost in over a calendar month and although I'm not happy we conceded at the last moment yesterday, I still today feel pretty good about recent form. There's no way that the thread title could have been misconstrued, nobody would have clicked it expecting a discussion about our style of play or the like.

I'm not talking about general frustration or open debate on something, I'm talking about how the same baseless topics of OTT negativity keep coming up.

Every second thread on a matchday will have one of the following - a reference to the game on Halloween, player x is a waste of a jersey, some cheap shot at Drey Wright (who is fast becoming the new hate figure with too many) or something that just generally tries to paint the picture of the gloomiest club possible.

Yes, people are struggling. I know that - we've had several difficult spells of awful times this season - bereavement and the like - and Hibs are an escape. Getting away from comforting people, getting through another day of much of the same - it's nice to chat about football and the like. As much as it's a struggle it's important to have a haven here or there that you can go to, even if just for five minutes, to get a bit of breathing space.

There are however a reasonable amount of posters who seem to revel in Hibs misfortune on a matchday and disappear for most of the rest of the time. They've been here for a while so ignoring it isn't doing much, it's time to challenge it in a firm but polite fashion. This season hasn't been bad at all. You wouldn't think that on here sometimes.

matty_f
20-12-2020, 09:02 PM
TBF - how much clearer could I have been in the thread title? Still feel that it's something worth challenging as we've not lost in over a calendar month and although I'm not happy we conceded at the last moment yesterday, I still today feel pretty good about recent form. There's no way that the thread title could have been misconstrued, nobody would have clicked it expecting a discussion about our style of play or the like.

I'm not talking about general frustration or open debate on something, I'm talking about how the same baseless topics of OTT negativity keep coming up.

Every second thread on a matchday will have one of the following - a reference to the game on Halloween, player x is a waste of a jersey, some cheap shot at Drey Wright (who is fast becoming the new hate figure with too many) or something that just generally tries to paint the picture of the gloomiest club possible.

Yes, people are struggling. I know that - we've had several difficult spells of awful times this season - bereavement and the like - and Hibs are an escape. Getting away from comforting people, getting through another day of much of the same - it's nice to chat about football and the like. As much as it's a struggle it's important to have a haven here or there that you can go to, even if just for five minutes, to get a bit of breathing space.

There are however a reasonable amount of posters who seem to revel in Hibs misfortune on a matchday and disappear for most of the rest of the time. They've been here for a while so ignoring it isn't doing much, it's time to challenge it in a firm but polite fashion. This season hasn't been bad at all. You wouldn't think that on here sometimes.

What a good post. 👏

One Day Soon
20-12-2020, 09:04 PM
tbf - how much clearer could i have been in the thread title? Still feel that it's something worth challenging as we've not lost in over a calendar month and although i'm not happy we conceded at the last moment yesterday, i still today feel pretty good about recent form. There's no way that the thread title could have been misconstrued, nobody would have clicked it expecting a discussion about our style of play or the like.

I'm not talking about general frustration or open debate on something, i'm talking about how the same baseless topics of ott negativity keep coming up.

Every second thread on a matchday will have one of the following - a reference to the game on halloween, player x is a waste of a jersey, some cheap shot at drey wright (who is fast becoming the new hate figure with too many) or something that just generally tries to paint the picture of the gloomiest club possible.

Yes, people are struggling. I know that - we've had several difficult spells of awful times this season - bereavement and the like - and hibs are an escape. Getting away from comforting people, getting through another day of much of the same - it's nice to chat about football and the like. As much as it's a struggle it's important to have a haven here or there that you can go to, even if just for five minutes, to get a bit of breathing space.

There are however a reasonable amount of posters who seem to revel in hibs misfortune on a matchday and disappear for most of the rest of the time. They've been here for a while so ignoring it isn't doing much, it's time to challenge it in a firm but polite fashion. This season hasn't been bad at all. You wouldn't think that on here sometimes.

lthf

Northernhibee
20-12-2020, 09:09 PM
What a good post. 👏

The thing is - frustration and criticism is a vital part of a discussion board, but it has to be merited, as is praise.

If I was to have posted "What a fabulous performance!" when we lost to Aberdeen last month, why would that be any more or less incongrous than some of the posts that are made that I've referenced before?

Alfred E Newman
20-12-2020, 09:17 PM

Spot on.
If we had lost that final today this place would have been carnage . We might not like them but the way they are praising Robbie and the boys over on kickback you would actually think they had won.

B.H.F.C
20-12-2020, 09:22 PM
Spot on.
If we had lost that final today this place would have been carnage . We might not like them but the way they are praising Robbie and the boys over on kickback you would actually think they had won.

Hearts fans are well known for praising Robbie right enough.

They’d never fly a plane over Tynecastle demanding his sacking, when they’re sitting third in the league, or anything ridiculous like that eh.....

The 90+2
20-12-2020, 09:27 PM
Spot on.

You must be forgetting such times as losing 3-0 to Celtic and applauding the team off the park at the end of the game.

JeMeSouviens
20-12-2020, 09:36 PM
Take the ‘eg’ out of the title of this thread and make it more seasonal and positive ......... ‘peace and goodwill’ .......:xwave:xsmilesign:snowman

I think you’ll struggle to find 3 wise men in these parts :wink:

matty_f
20-12-2020, 10:24 PM
The thing is - frustration and criticism is a vital part of a discussion board, but it has to be merited, as is praise.

If I was to have posted "What a fabulous performance!" when we lost to Aberdeen last month, why would that be any more or less incongrous than some of the posts that are made that I've referenced before?

I agree.

we are hibs
21-12-2020, 06:56 AM
Spot on.

They can put as much of a brave face on it as possible but deep down they know they will never get a better chance to beat Celtic in a cup final and were 2 kicks away from doing it but their bottle crashed. Probably wouldve been more negativity on here after that. Mainly because some of us would realise the opportunity we had just blown rather than burrying our heads in the sand and lapping up a glorious failure (which numerous on here would no doubt do)

Barman Stanton
21-12-2020, 01:09 PM
Most people I know just don’t use the forum much these days due to the negativity. It’s tiresome seeing the same names bash the team at any excuse. Thankfully there are loads of other places to get your Hibs fix now.