PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Christmas song

lord bunberry
19-12-2020, 09:49 PM
Fairytale of New York by a mile for me.

Northernhibee
19-12-2020, 10:02 PM
Fairytale of New York by a mile for me.

Funnily enough it's like nails down a blackboard for me.

It's a traditional one but 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas' is beautiful.

Pretty Boy
19-12-2020, 10:08 PM
Underneath The Tree by Kelly Clarkson. It's everything a Christmas song should be.

A million times superior to that self indulgent nonsense by Mariah Carey.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-12-2020, 10:26 PM
Darlene Love - Christmas (baby please come home).

Jay
19-12-2020, 10:27 PM
Slade cant beat it.

Merry xmas everybody

Northernhibee
19-12-2020, 10:34 PM
Underneath The Tree by Kelly Clarkson. It's everything a Christmas song should be.

A million times superior to that self indulgent nonsense by Mariah Carey.

Mariah Carey needs to pick a note and stick to it rather than sing everything around it.

I also quite liked Leona Lewis' Christmas tune from a few years back.

Hiber-nation
19-12-2020, 10:43 PM
If X-mas Curtain by My Morning Jacket counts then I'll pick that. If not then She Came Home For Christmas by Mew.

Sick to death of all the usual ones.

AFKA5814_Hibs
19-12-2020, 10:55 PM
As long as it's the original version and not the radio edit Fairtyle of New York
? My favourite myself, along with Chis Rea Driving in my car.

Jones28
19-12-2020, 11:07 PM
I won’t be home for Christmas by Blink 182.

Fairytale of NY for a Christmassy Christmas song.
I’ve warmed to a lot of the pop Christmas songs in the last couple of years, apart from Slade. Slade can **** off.

Also love Frank Sinatra’s Christmas album.

Hibby70
19-12-2020, 11:31 PM
The Power of Love by Frankie Goes To Hollywood. It's a beautiful piece of work all round.

Bangkok Hibby
20-12-2020, 04:21 AM
Xmas songs bring out the bah humbug in me big style. If I had to pick one it would be "I believe in Father Christmas" by Greg Lake.

Hibbyradge
20-12-2020, 07:54 AM
I could do without Christmas songs at all, but some of them are more grating than others. Anything that mentions Santa Claus or Jingle Bells or Christmas trees is automatically filed under pap, and I've never really had much time for Christmas carols.

I think Last Christmas is a very good pop song in its own right. It would work if you substituted "Christmas" for another 2 syllable word like Thursday or Birthday (not great examples).

Hot Chocolate have a less known song called Brand New Christmas. That's probably my favourite because I like the sentiments, although, like all the others, I never play it.

Scouse Hibee
20-12-2020, 10:33 AM
As long as it's the original version and not the radio edit Fairtyle of New York
? My favourite myself, along with Chis Rea Driving in my car.

Same for me on both

heretoday
20-12-2020, 10:37 AM
David Essex Winter's Tale is nice.

Mibbes Aye
20-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Darlene Love - Christmas (baby please come home).

This one for me too.

BroxburnHibee
20-12-2020, 12:24 PM
I like Leona Lewis' One More Sleep and the previously mentioned Kelly Clarkson.

An older one I like is Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses.

First line is Bah Humbug! Always a good start :greengrin

Just_Jimmy
20-12-2020, 03:01 PM
I hate Christmas songs. utterly despise them. I hate how from mid November Christmas music is rammed down your throat on the radio and everyone is talking about Christmas.

I was always brought up in a loving family environment who always enjoyed Christmas, yet I pretty much despise this time of year. maybe it's because it feels so insincere?

bah humbug

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Moulin Yarns
20-12-2020, 04:31 PM
Feliz Navidad by El Vez.

Go on, search for it on YouTube. 😉

marinello59
20-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Away in a Manger sung by kids. Gets me every time.

Hiber-nation
20-12-2020, 04:45 PM

Now that gets my vote.

CropleyWasGod
20-12-2020, 04:47 PM
By default, I'm not a fan of Christmas songs, but there's a few that get me.

The aforementioned Christmas Wrapping. Then there's any of Darlene Love's. But the belter for me is Please Come Home For Christmas by Southside Johnny from the Home Alone 2 soundtrack. Man those horns.....😍

Billy Whizz
20-12-2020, 05:11 PM
Someday at Xmas by Stevie Wonder is a beautiful song

Pretty Boy
20-12-2020, 05:34 PM

They have a children's Mass on Christmas Eve in our parish. Every year Mass begins with all the lights being turned off and only candlelight, the Jesus figure is walked to the crib by 2 children and Away in a Manger is sung led by the local schoolchildren.

You have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by it. Even if you don't believe in all the religious stuff it's just a really beautiful community moment.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-12-2020, 08:36 PM
This one for me too.

Good judge! 😉

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-12-2020, 08:38 PM
Someday at Xmas by Stevie Wonder is a beautiful song

2nd place for me, always brings a tear to my eye. The lyrics are wonderful. The Andra Day duet is equally wonderful.

Northernhibee
20-12-2020, 09:27 PM
Christmas Is Going To The Dogs by Eels is fantastic too. A Christmas song from the viewpoint of a family pet. Ace :thumbsup:

Wilson
20-12-2020, 10:23 PM

When I was a kid we were told to pay closer attention to the song sheet. Apparently Jesus didn't have " no crisps or a bed".

I'm sure we sang well enough though!

HibbyDave
21-12-2020, 09:00 AM
Santa’s a Scotsman

Obv Radio Two listener 😀

I like A spaceman came travelling by Chris De Burgh

Jones28
21-12-2020, 10:33 AM
Santa’s a Scotsman

Obv Radio Two listener 😀

I like A spaceman came travelling by Chris De Burgh

I forgot about that one until last year, great song and is now my 2nd favourite.

Ronniekirk
21-12-2020, 11:50 AM
Run With The Fox Chris Squire and Alan White
Greg Lakes I believe in Father Christmas

This year Phobe Bridger s version of
Have yourself a merry little Christmas

And Bears Den Christmas Hooefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Future17
21-12-2020, 12:56 PM
There's No Lights on the Christmas Tree Mother, They're Burning Big Louie Tonight by The Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

Mibbes Aye
21-12-2020, 03:31 PM
Every year, the choir of King’s College, Cambridge do a concert on Christmas Eve. The carols are interspersed with readings from the Testaments.

IIRC it is broadcast live on th radio and then shown on TV on Christmas Day. I suspect it.wont go ahead this year but it is magnificent.

Previous years will be on Spotify or YouTube I’m sure.

My favourite is “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”, it is marvellous,

Peevemor
21-12-2020, 03:39 PM
I love choral music, especially the more popular pieces and also gaelic choirs (even though I understand nothing).

With that said I don't like well know Christmas carols being sung too well by choirs. I'm far more moved by ordinary bods & kids singing together albeit a wee bit out of tune.

Pretty Boy
21-12-2020, 03:54 PM
Every year, the choir of King’s College, Cambridge do a concert on Christmas Eve. The carols are interspersed with readings from the Testaments.

IIRC it is broadcast live on th radio and then shown on TV on Christmas Day. I suspect it.wont go ahead this year but it is magnificent.

Adeste Fideles (in Latin) is a firm favourite of mine as well. The English translation is good but it doesn't have the same impact.

I also have a soft spot for Little Donkey as well.

hibsbollah
21-12-2020, 04:34 PM
Adeste Fideles (in Latin) is a firm favourite of mine as well. The English translation is good but it doesn't have the same impact.

I also have a soft spot for Little Donkey as well.

Nothing beats In the Bleak Midwinter. Gets me every time.

Low’s ‘Just like Christmas’ has just been on the radio, which reminded me how much I like it.

marinello59
21-12-2020, 06:01 PM

It’s on BBC2 this year, Christmas Eve at 17:30, no congregation and the choir is socially distanced. We usually watch it on Christmas morning so I’ll be recording it.

Mibbes Aye
21-12-2020, 06:38 PM
It’s on BBC2 this year, Christmas Eve at 17:30, no congregation and the choir is socially distanced. We usually watch it on Christmas morning so I’ll be recording it.

Cheers, it is part of our Christmas tradition.

CropleyWasGod
22-12-2020, 11:38 AM
Aniother couple have come to me.

The Rebel Jesus by Jackson Browne, and Nothing But A Child by Steve Earle.

Both with a political edge, as you might expect from those guys. And you can chuck in Winter Song by Lindisfarne.

Hibby70
22-12-2020, 01:43 PM
I think we can all agree that Do They Know It's Christmas is the worst Christmas song.

CropleyWasGod
22-12-2020, 01:46 PM
I think we can all agree that Do They Know It's Christmas is the worst Christmas song.

I'd doubt that we will :greengrin

speedy_gonzales
22-12-2020, 07:48 PM
Perhaps not one Christmas song, but the album by Zooey Deschanel (actor) she made about 10 years ago, "A very she & him Christmas".
If pushed though, I'd have to go for her cover of "Have yourself a merry little Christmas".

Future17
22-12-2020, 07:49 PM

I cringe every time I hear the line:

"Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you".

Billy Whizz
22-12-2020, 07:59 PM

It’s not a bad song, but what it achieved, means it deserves to be up there

Danderhall Hibs
22-12-2020, 08:53 PM

Why?

Danderhall Hibs
22-12-2020, 08:54 PM
Has anyone said Another Rock’n Roll Christmas yet? Seems to have slipped off the playlists in recent years.

Hiber-nation
22-12-2020, 09:28 PM
Has anyone said Another Rock’n Roll Christmas yet? Seems to have slipped off the playlists in recent years.

:greengrin

I wonder why.

I'm sticking Up for Do They Know Its Christmas, I really don't want to hear it again any time soon but I loved it back in the day and the George Michael and Bono vocals are iconic.

CropleyWasGod
22-12-2020, 10:00 PM

I don't. Bono's delivery is special.

That was before he became Bono, of course 😆

Peevemor
23-12-2020, 05:30 AM
I don't. Bono's delivery is special.

That was before he became Bono, of course [emoji38]Yep. The song's good for what it is and did the job it set out to do. Bono stole the show with his line.

lapsedhibee
23-12-2020, 06:32 AM
Another vote for In The Bleak Midwinter. And Silent Night. The rest, absolute dug*****.

Pretty Boy
23-12-2020, 07:28 AM
I think Do They Know It's Christmas first became problematic a few years back when Buzzfeed and the Huffington Post both ran with an article suggesting it was racist and stereotyped Africa. The latter charge is probably correct to be fair. Since then it has become quite fashionable to have a pop at it. There has been criticism before of course but that brought to a more mainstream and younger audience.

I think it's another one of those things that has to be judged as being off it's time. It was hastily written and it was reacting to an ongoing situation and that comes through when you listen to it retrospectively. Did Bob Geldof and Midge Ure set out to write a song that was condescending or stereotyping? I doubt it, I think they wrote something based on what they saw on their TV screens with the best of intentions. Indeed Geldof and Ure have recognised the song was pretty crap but it was never the point of the exercise, it was written to make a lot of money. There was also a rewrite for the 2014 version to try and iron out a few of the lyrics that were seen as a problem.

Scouse Hibee
23-12-2020, 07:57 AM

No I don’t.

Future17
23-12-2020, 08:01 AM
Why?

Why would anyone thank God it's "them"?

Scouse Hibee
23-12-2020, 08:09 AM
Why would anyone thank God it's "them"?

I thought the whole point of that line was to be sarcastic against those who have everything and trying to jolt them into thinking otherwise?

Peevemor
23-12-2020, 08:17 AM
Do They Know It's Christmas is a song written and recorded with one message and one aim in mind, ie. there are people worse off than us, let's help them.

It raised awareness and triggered different initiatives across the planet.

In terms of christian values it's spot on.

Despite some slightly clumsy lyrics and some bad 80s haircuts, anyone suggesting that it's a bad Christmas song (let alone the worst ever) is quite simply wrong.

hibsbollah
23-12-2020, 08:22 AM
I thought the whole point of that line was to be sarcastic against those who have everything and trying to jolt them into thinking otherwise?

I thought the same.

When he sings his line I’ve been known to go ‘that’s a bit selfish Bono, you twat’, but that’s in company, for laughs.

Danderhall Hibs
23-12-2020, 09:25 AM

:agree: I didn’t think it was difficult to understand.

Hibby70
23-12-2020, 10:23 AM

That's the only decent line in it.

I admit to being a bit of a troll with my post. So sorry for that. I knew it would spark some discussion and people would disagree, that song Dominic The Donkey or whatever it is much worse.

I just get irritated by people singing along to Do they know it's Christmas with a big smile on their face.

Peevemor
23-12-2020, 07:43 PM
5 weeks ago a bunch of Calmac employees decided to put together a virtual choir and have been practicing via zoom (or whatever). I think this is brilliant.

https://youtu.be/0EpPFehu8jk

Future17
23-12-2020, 08:24 PM

If it's intended to be sarcastic, it's completely out of step with the rest of the lyrics, so it's difficult to discern that effect.

Danderhall Hibs
24-12-2020, 08:22 AM
If it's intended to be sarcastic, it's completely out of step with the rest of the lyrics, so it's difficult to discern that effect.

Sarcasm probably isn’t the word. I always thought it was intended to guilt folk who did/do think selfishly.

Peevemor
24-12-2020, 08:37 AM
Sarcasm probably isn’t the word. I always thought it was intended to guilt folk who did/do think selfishly.For me it's "count yourself lucky that it's not you", put in a way that fits into the song and with more punch.

Hiber-nation
24-12-2020, 09:35 AM
For me it's "count yourself lucky that it's not you", put in a way that fits into the song and with more punch.

Exactly. Bono didn't want to sing the line originally in case it was misconstrued.

I think I've now come to the end of my tether with Christmas songs after muttering "shut the ****up" when Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses came on when I was in a shop the other day. Used to be my favourite and still got the single.

Scouse Hibee
24-12-2020, 10:41 AM
Sarcasm probably isn’t the word. I always thought it was intended to guilt folk who did/do think selfishly.

That’s what I meant, maybe sarcasm wasn’t the right word but the intention of the lyrics have always been pretty clear to me.

Loopz
24-12-2020, 06:28 PM
Something a little different :xbell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJwLcFgWR8c

Future17
25-12-2020, 08:48 AM
For me it's "count yourself lucky that it's not you", put in a way that fits into the song and with more punch.

Yeah, I presume that's the intended sentiment, which is a fair enough, although completely crass when delivered by a person/group of people who will have much greater financial wealth than the vast majority of those who listen to it.

I didn't know it was hastily written, but it would hardly be difficult to have found alternative lyrics which were less abrasive and more self-aware.

Scouse Hibee
25-12-2020, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I presume that's the intended sentiment, which is a fair enough, although completely crass when delivered by a person/group of people who will have much greater financial wealth than the vast majority of those who listen to it.

I didn't know it was hastily written, but it would hardly be difficult to have found alternative lyrics which were less abrasive and more self-aware.

At the time the lyrics were considered fine, as were many other things. No one would have even considered it.

patch1875
25-12-2020, 04:34 PM
I do like U2’ s version of Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).

I Believe In Father Christmas- Greg Lake is probably my favourite

Future17
25-12-2020, 11:21 PM
At the time the lyrics were considered fine, as were many other things. No one would have even considered it.

I'm not sure that's much of a defence. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
26-12-2020, 07:48 AM
I'm not sure that's much of a defence. :greengrin

It didn’t need defending at the time 😁

Future17
26-12-2020, 08:49 AM
It didn’t need defending at the time 😁

They said that about the Nazis. :wink:

Scouse Hibee
26-12-2020, 10:32 AM
They said that about the Nazis. :wink:

The Jews never said it!

Hibrandenburg
26-12-2020, 11:13 AM
Bing and Bowie for me. It's not Christmas until I've heard that duet.