PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Magennis

Unseen work
19-12-2020, 05:53 AM
Just looking to see what everyone’s thoughts on him are so far and what sort of player we look like we’re getting?

I’ve been intrigued/surprised that he has made some appearances for us at left midfield or in the more advanced of the midfield 3. I’m not sure if this is to add a bit of solidarity in those positions too whilst also having the quality or if he’s just not sharp enough to play in the middle of midfield yet.

I thought we were getting a strong runner who gets his head down and runs at players with a bit of aggression and presses the opposition. From what I’ve seen he’s safer on the ball (not in a bad way) and picks his moments when they present themselves as opposed to forcing it. I heard he’s not played 90 minutes since January and he’s probably only played 6 games or so since then so I’m sure once he’s had a good run he’ll come on leaps and bounds.

Im also surprised at the amount of goals he’s almost scored from his limited appearances, from memory he’s had some very good bits of play which have almost resulted in a goal

Cove - Dip of shoulder and fierce strike from just inside the box
Hearts - Came in late at the back post and was going to score but for a good block
Ross County - Beauty of a strike which came off the bar/post from outside the box
Alloa - Sold the defender a dummy and shot cleared off the line.

For me that’s a huge boost to see him confident to take on the shots/get in the positions to score.

19-12-2020, 06:26 AM
Can’t judge him yet because he’s not been fit. He’s shown flashes of quality and think he will prove a great signing.

offshorehibby
19-12-2020, 06:43 AM
Early days, I've always thought it will be next season before we see the best of him. This season i'm happy for him to get back playing regularly getting as much game time under his belt as possible and staying injury free.

Stuart93
19-12-2020, 07:54 AM
Just looking to see what everyone’s thoughts on him are so far and what sort of player we look like we’re getting?

I’ve been intrigued/surprised that he has made some appearances for us at left midfield or in the more advanced of the midfield 3. I’m not sure if this is to add a bit of solidarity in those positions too whilst also having the quality or if he’s just not sharp enough to play in the middle of midfield yet.

I thought we were getting a strong runner who gets his head down and runs at players with a bit of aggression and presses the opposition. From what I’ve seen he’s safer on the ball (not in a bad way) and picks his moments when they present themselves as opposed to forcing it. I heard he’s not played 90 minutes since January and he’s probably only played 6 games or so since then so I’m sure once he’s had a good run he’ll come on leaps and bounds.

Im also surprised at the amount of goals he’s almost scored from his limited appearances, from memory he’s had some very good bits of play which have almost resulted in a goal

Cove - Dip of shoulder and fierce strike from just inside the box
Hearts - Came in late at the back post and was going to score but for a good block
Ross County - Beauty of a strike which came off the bar/post from outside the box
Alloa - Sold the defender a dummy and shot cleared off the line.

For me that’s a huge boost to see him confident to take on the shots/get in the positions to score.

I’d disagree about his miss from the semi. He definitely should’ve been bursting the net with that & not even giving the defender a chance to block it. Was a weak effort from the position he was in.

I’ll still reserve judgement on the guy until he gets a decent run in the team injury free. He has looked decent coming off the bench.

calumhibee1
19-12-2020, 08:25 AM
He looks decent. Hard to really get a sense of what to actually expect from him given how limited his appearances have been.

Wee bit concerning how much he’s struggled for fitness though.

offshorehibby
19-12-2020, 08:44 AM
He looks decent. Hard to really get a sense of what to actually expect from him given how limited his appearances have been.

Wee bit concerning how much he’s struggled for fitness though.

I don't think we can say he struggles for fitness, the boy's not long back after a year out.

Brightside
19-12-2020, 08:46 AM
Before his big injury he’s played a huge amount of football. I’m not worried about his fitness. I think we will see plenty of him in the 2nd let if the season and he will be a first pick.

hibbysam
19-12-2020, 09:02 AM
Before his big injury he’s played a huge amount of football. I’m not worried about his fitness. I think we will see plenty of him in the 2nd let if the season and he will be a first pick.

Likewise, muscle injuries are natural after big knee injuries (see Murphy also). Once he’s over those niggles then I’ve no doubt his fitness will be just fine. Even half fit just now he looked really sharp during the week. Will be a quality signing long term!

jacomo
19-12-2020, 09:06 AM
What I like about him is he wants to receive the ball on the half turn, looking to do something with it. I think we’ve got a very good player here, once he’s fully fit again.

Cat Stanton
19-12-2020, 09:08 AM
Can’t judge him yet because he’s not been fit. He’s shown flashes of quality and think he will prove a great signing.

Exactly. St. Mirren friend raves about him. But he was out for a long time. Start of next season is probably when we'll see properly what he can do.

Peevemor
19-12-2020, 09:15 AM
I didn't expect him to appear for us so soon after signing given that he'd only recently returned to training.

Like others have said, I'm looking forward to what he'll give us from next season. If he gets up to full form before the summer then all the better.

WhileTheChief..
19-12-2020, 09:21 AM
Didn’t know anything about him before he signed and don’t know much more now!

Keen to see him get a run of games in a settled position. Gut feeling is that he is seen as the long term replacement for Scot Allan.

calumhibee1
19-12-2020, 09:29 AM
I don't think we can say he struggles for fitness, the boy's not long back after a year out.

I get that and I understand that it can often happen after a serious injury, I just would have hoped to have seen more of him.

It’s probably not helped by the fact he has missed quite a few games at St Mirren the seasons he’s been there. Hopefully he can get to full fitness and get a run together soon.

Smartie
19-12-2020, 10:13 AM
I've not seen enough to be able to form any real opinion.

Having also known nothing about him prior to his injury it is also tricky to compare his game now to what his game might at one point have been (same goes for Drey Wright tbh).

Happy with his pedigree as a player, unlikely someone would manage to be St Mirren captain at a young age without being a bit of a player and a character, lots of good folk seem to come through that club.

TBH I'm probably with the poster who said it might even be next season before we get the chance to fully make our minds up about him.

Alex Trager
19-12-2020, 10:17 AM
I thought we were getting a midfield engine as well.

As in someone that would play in the middle of the park but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

More reason to go out and get Campbell [emoji102]

The Modfather
19-12-2020, 11:14 AM

As in someone that would play in the middle of the park but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

That’s my, admittedly very uninformed, reservation too. I had hoped that Magennis was the box to box replacement, or as close as we can get to replacing McGinn’s energy, drive & dig. He may well still be that player. Even if he’s not he might be a big upgrade on those already here, but we’re still crying out for energy & drive in midfield IMO.

Brightside
19-12-2020, 11:23 AM

He can play anywhere in the middle 3. Dynamic, hard working and creative. He’s the closest we will get to an SJM type.

Key West
19-12-2020, 11:27 AM
For me he is a centre mid player but due to the trimming of the squad like a lot of others will have to be flexible, I personally like players to be played in their suited position but I understand that flexibility requirement.

judas
19-12-2020, 11:33 AM
My old man has a 6 game rule for new players and reckons he knows at that point whether or not they are going to cut it.

Not completely sure about the method.

My view is that the laddie captained at mirren at a very young age and that he has some
Impressive stats relating to his dribbling and pass completion.

I think this lad needs time and support, after which he will become a steal.

basehibby
19-12-2020, 11:41 AM
Have only seen him play in short bursts but in that short time Magennis has managed to come up with some great moments of quality, showing that he can pick a great pass, take a man on and is not at all shy of having a shot on goal. All in all he looks a great signing and I look forward to him gaining full fitness - if his contributions so far are representative it won't be long at all until he's one of the first names on the teamsheet.

oneone73
19-12-2020, 11:43 AM
My old man has a 6 game rule for new players and reckons he knows at that point whether or not they are going to cut it.

Newell and Doidge not going to make it then 😁

superfurryhibby
19-12-2020, 11:52 AM
Am I right in assuming that Magennis’ pre-season was actually based on his continuing rehab from serious injury and that he signed for Hibs whilst still recovering?

Based on that, I’m hoping he is still finding his feet and full fitness. As well all know, there is a difference between fitness and match fitness. I hope the laddie is ready to step up and win a regular start in the side. On that basis we have Magennis, Mallan, Gogic, Newell, Hallberg, all competing for a start, with the possibility that Allan may return. That makes me think we have enough in the central positions going forward.

Andy74
19-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Am I right in assuming that Magennis’ pre-season was actually based on his continuing rehab from serious injury and that he signed for Hibs whilst still recovering?

Based on that, I’m hoping he is still finding his feet and full fitness. As well all know, there is a difference between fitness and match fitness. I hope the laddie is ready to step up and win a regular start in the side. On that basis we have Magennis, Mallan, Gogic, Newell, Hallberg, all competing for a start, with the possibility that Allan may return. That makes me think we have enough in the central positions going forward.

Yeah. I suspect we could sign a midfielder every week and we’d still be talking about this mythical one that we are missing that would make all the difference.

superfurryhibby
19-12-2020, 12:07 PM
Yeah. I suspect we could sign a midfielder every week and we’d still be talking about this mythical one that we are missing that would make all the difference.

The eternal quest for midfield alchemy.......I think we almost saw it when we had the holy trinity of McGinn, McGeouch and Allan.

Andy74
19-12-2020, 12:08 PM
The eternal quest for midfield alchemy.......I think we almost saw it when we had the holy trinity of McGinn, McGeouch and Allan.

Even then we were still losing games against the likes of Alloa and Dumbarton!

LeithMike
19-12-2020, 12:19 PM
Even then we were still losing games against the likes of Alloa and Dumbarton!Allan wasnt in the team then and McGeouch was playing on the right of the diamond.

McGeouch, McGinn and Allan in 2017/18 was as good as a midfield as Ive seen at Hibs - surpassing Jack, O'Neil and Latapy.

McGeouch, McGinn and Latapy would probably be perfection.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
19-12-2020, 12:39 PM
Even then we were still losing games against the likes of Alloa and Dumbarton!

See below and try stop being so contrary, I’d almost like your posts if you could.

Allan wasnt in the team then and McGeouch was playing on the right of the diamond.

McGeouch, McGinn and Allan in 2017/18 was as good as a midfield as Ive seen at Hibs - surpassing Jack, O'Neil and Latapy.

McGeouch, McGinn and Latapy would probably be perfection.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I would agree with this. Best midfield at Hibs since I was a boy and that wasn’t yesterday.

Aldo
19-12-2020, 12:53 PM
Starts today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy74
19-12-2020, 01:02 PM
See below and try stop being so contrary, I’d almost like your posts if you could.

I would agree with this. Best midfield at Hibs since I was a boy and that wasn’t yesterday.

I agree with you. My point was though, we’ve seen some great Hibs midfields. None of them had 100% records and they all had their weaknesses.

We are eternally that one player away...

As an example we were one midfielder away apparently when we signed Magennis. He’s been here no time at all and we are still asking for another midfielder.

The Modfather
19-12-2020, 01:11 PM
Starts today!

Looking forward to seeing him today. Too early to make much of a judgement either way based on today but hopefully he play that box to box McGinn role to give us a glimpse that’s what we bought and how we intend to use him.

Aldo
19-12-2020, 01:12 PM
Looking forward to seeing him today. Too early to make much of a judgement either way based on today but hopefully he play that box to box McGinn role to give us a glimpse that’s what we bought and how we intend to use him.

I’m working till 3 so hopefully I’ll manage hone in time to see some of it.

I think once he settles he will be an excellent player

chrisski33
19-12-2020, 02:26 PM
Proving today so far been a good addition!

Hibby70
19-12-2020, 02:48 PM
I’m working till 3 so hopefully I’ll manage hone in time to see some of it.

I think once he settles he will be an excellent player

The game is on BBc Alba at 6pm so you can watch it all.

Vault Boy
19-12-2020, 02:51 PM
Delighted for him to get that first goal.

Aldo
19-12-2020, 02:57 PM
The game is on BBc Alba at 6pm so you can watch it all.

Champion. Caught the last 10 on a live stream. Second half on soon

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2020, 03:00 PM
He started well, but I think it’s clear he’s not a wide left player. I wonder when he’s fully fit if he will get one of those places inside in place of Hallberg or Newell?

supermcginn
19-12-2020, 04:06 PM
He started well, but I think it’s clear he’s not a wide left player. I wonder when he’s fully fit if he will get one of those places inside in place of Hallberg or Newell?

Surely or the fee we paid is a complete waste.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2020, 04:13 PM
Surely or the fee we paid is a complete waste.

I agree, although watching him now and I know he’s not fully fit, he does not look to me at the moment to have the energy or drive I’d like to see from a player we need further inside.

supermcginn
19-12-2020, 04:16 PM
I agree, although watching him now and I know he’s not fully fit, he does not look to me at the moment to have the energy or drive I’d like to see from a player we need further inside.

Agreed, time will tell.

hibbysam
19-12-2020, 04:31 PM

I think he’d play beside them, with Murphy on the left, and Nisbet through the middle. Love Doidge but he’s missing far too many chances.

wookie70
19-12-2020, 04:31 PM

I disagree I thought his energy was a massive part of why we were so dominant in the first half. He looks a decent player to me and his crossing and finishing looks pretty decent too. An all round midfielder which is exactly what we needed

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2020, 04:42 PM
I disagree I thought his energy was a massive part of why we were so dominant in the first half. He looks a decent player to me and his crossing and finishing looks pretty decent too. An all round midfielder which is exactly what we needed

You saw that from him playing today wide left? I saw him try and play some nice balls into doidge and nisbett, but I never saw much driving forward or crossings bar the obvious one. For me he’s been neat and tidy without really imposing himself. Which I hope is down to his fitness and him playing wider than I hope he plays in the future.

wookie70
19-12-2020, 04:45 PM
You saw that from him playing today wide left? I saw him try and play some nice balls into doidge and nisbett, but I never saw much driving forward or crossings bar the obvious one. For me he’s been neat and tidy without really imposing himself. Which I hope is down to his fitness and him playing wider than I hope he plays in the future. He has played other games for us my view is from his performances so far. Looks like he can tackle, cross, dribble, drive forward and has a finish and shot too. Early days but he has looked good so far to me

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2020, 04:47 PM
He has played other games for us my view is from his performances so far. Looks like he can tackle, cross, dribble, drive forward and has a finish and shot too. Early days but he has looked good so far to me

It is early days.

Key West
19-12-2020, 05:26 PM
Unfortunately Murphy seems to be the only player that is comfortable wide on the left.
Magennis for me is a centre mid player.

Billy Whizz
19-12-2020, 05:35 PM
Unfortunately Murphy seems to be the only player that is comfortable wide on the left.
Magennis for me is a centre mid player.

I think to be fair, we’re just easing him into the team playing on the left
When he’s fully match fit he’ll be playing more centrally

Key West
19-12-2020, 06:28 PM
I think to be fair, we’re just easing him into the team playing on the left
When he’s fully match fit he’ll be playing more centrally

That is how it looks to me and I look forward to seeing him when he is fit and has that match sharpness.

J-C
19-12-2020, 06:29 PM
Played very well today, bags of energy and forward thinking most of the time, obviously tired but expected.

B.H.F.C
19-12-2020, 06:43 PM
He has played other games for us my view is from his performances so far. Looks like he can tackle, cross, dribble, drive forward and has a finish and shot too. Early days but he has looked good so far to me

He’s not really shown much of that IMO. That’s not really me criticising as he’s not been properly fit so far.

A lot of the things you mention are things we are told he’ll bring, but other than the odd we glimpse I don’t think we’ve seen much.

The position he played today feels like we are trying to get him in the team. I don’t think that’s his position.

matty_f
19-12-2020, 06:48 PM
Magennis is an excellent player. Missed a fair bit of football through injury but if we are patient we’re going to have a real player on our hands. Always thought he had the potential to have a career and impact like SJM.

Jones28
19-12-2020, 06:50 PM
Great contribution today, really tidy and stellar contribution with the goal.

Robbo6-2
19-12-2020, 06:53 PM
Played well.

Genuinely interested to see where his long term
position will be.

Will only get better the sharper he gets and that will come with minutes on pitch

NAE NOOKIE
20-12-2020, 12:54 AM
You saw that from him playing today wide left? I saw him try and play some nice balls into doidge and nisbett, but I never saw much driving forward or crossings bar the obvious one. For me he’s been neat and tidy without really imposing himself. Which I hope is down to his fitness and him playing wider than I hope he plays in the future.

His game today in a nutshell. Didn't do a lot wrong, but wasn't a stand out either. Given his bad injury no doubt he will take time to get up to speed and perhaps we will see the player Jack Ross thinks he is after a few more games. The St Mirren fans were pretty upset at losing him which is always a good sign.

NAE NOOKIE
20-12-2020, 12:58 AM
Magennis is an excellent player. Missed a fair bit of football through injury but if we are patient we’re going to have a real player on our hands. Always thought he had the potential to have a career and impact like SJM.

I so very much hope you are right :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
20-12-2020, 09:31 AM
I think the McGinn comparison is a fair one.

What stuck out for me yesterday was his general style of play and movement, looked very similar to SJM.

Also think he has bags of energy and hope to see him make centre mid his position.

Expect us to build our midfield around him from next season. Could be a really important player for us over the next few years.

Unseen work
20-12-2020, 10:11 AM
I think he will prove to be a good signing when he gets going for us and plays centrally.

Yesterday he was decent and got a very good assist/goal but I don’t recall him doing much other than keeping it relatively simple which I completely understand given the time he’s beeen out.

Based on the games I’ve seen he doesn’t remind of McGinn at all.

ancient hibee
20-12-2020, 10:13 AM
I think he suffered a little today because Stevenson has lost a bit of pace and isn't ready to push on down the wing anymore. He'd do better with Mackie or Doig prepared to make the runs to give him space.He doesn't lose the ball easily.

gaz1875
20-12-2020, 10:22 AM
I think he suffered a little today because Stevenson has lost a bit of pace and isn't ready to push on down the wing anymore. He'd do better with Mackie or Doig prepared to make the runs to give him space.He doesn't lose the ball easily.

I thought similar, the two of them seemed to be too close to each other with no real overlap.

calumhibee1
20-12-2020, 11:38 AM
If Magennis ends up the player that others are saying he is - mobile, tenacious, good on the ball, powerful etc - essentially, the closest thing to SJM that we could get - then I’d have loved to have seen him in there with Greg Doherty.

I realise that we may have not even went for Magennis if we had got Doherty but the idea of Doherty and the player Magennis is supposed to be together in the middle of the pitch would have been exceptional. We’d have had the potential to overpower near enough every team in the league in the middle of the pitch.

The Modfather
20-12-2020, 12:06 PM
If Magennis ends up the player that others are saying he is - mobile, tenacious, good on the ball, powerful etc - essentially, the closest thing to SJM that we could get - then I’d have loved to have seen him in there with Greg Doherty.

I realise that we may have not even went for Magennis if we had got Doherty but the idea of Doherty and the player Magennis is supposed to be together in the middle of the pitch would have been exceptional. We’d have had the potential to overpower near enough every team in the league in the middle of the pitch.

Swap Docherty for Campbell (or someone if that ilk), and with Newell potentially playing the McGeough role we would have a balanced, and quality, midfield three IMO, which would serve us for the mid-long term. Add in Gogic for specific games and potentially Hallberg/Allan/Bradley and we might not have to touch the midfield for a good few transfer windows.

Daydreamer
20-12-2020, 05:55 PM

I must agree Matty he was'nt the captain of St Mirren at his age for nothing. I am definitely seeing something in this guy. Just playing himself in gradually and hoping he bursts on to the scene in the second half of the season and maybe a cup medal.

Robbo6-2
23-12-2020, 07:34 PM
Any word why he went off today?

Was it an injury or tactical?

Really hope it's not another injury

Greenworld
24-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Any word why he went off today?

Was it an injury or tactical?

Really hope it's not another injuryA slight tightening of hamstring apparently nothing serious . Think JR is just being ultra cautious with him.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Brightside
24-12-2020, 09:32 AM
He not a winger in a million years. Doing a job right now but I’m looking forward to him playing more centrally in the future.

matty_f
24-12-2020, 09:34 AM
He not a winger in a million years. Doing a job right now but I’m looking forward to him playing more centrally in the future.

There is still room in the modern game for wide midfielders who are not wingers.

Brightside
24-12-2020, 09:39 AM
There is still room in the modern game for wide midfielders who are not wingers.

Oh I totally agree. But that’s not where we will see the best of him. He will defend well in that role but your aren’t going to get the dynamic runs you get from Boyle. In a middle 3 of a 352 would be great. Him, Newall, hallberg/Gogic. I’d be surprised if we don’t see something like that v Rangers.

ancient hibee
24-12-2020, 09:57 AM
I’ll be amazed if we don’t double up on on our left to stop Tavernier.Perhaps Stevenson and Mackie/Doig.I thought we were very poor down the left last night,particularly the first half.