View Full Version : Free money for Hearts

Ozyhibby
18-12-2020, 05:55 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201218/2484e2a9c8cd015cc5524bd290255df4.jpg

Good deal for our neighbours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
18-12-2020, 05:57 PM
Wouldn’t a grant be granted after a means test?

Bostonhibby
18-12-2020, 05:58 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201218/2484e2a9c8cd015cc5524bd290255df4.jpg

Good deal for our neighbours.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBetter than stealing it for a change.

I'd have preferred a means tested system for Championship clubs so that clubs with the cash Hearts have get less or nothing so as to free up more for the less fortunate.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
18-12-2020, 06:00 PM
Better than stealing it for a change.

I'd have preferred a means tested system for Championship clubs so that clubs with the cash Hearts have get less or nothing so as to free up more for the less fortunate.

Might need to ask again. Surely that’s what a grant amounts to, they’ll need to apply?

The 90+2
18-12-2020, 06:02 PM
The attitude of they ***** mean that they will be more angry all the other clubs that voted them down (ie looked after themselves ending the season early) will also get £500k and wont go bust. :agree:

H113EE5
18-12-2020, 06:03 PM
Wouldn’t a grant be granted after a means test?

Not in this country, we give out money to anyone, irrespective of income. Prescription fees, winter weather heating allowance, free bus fares, free sanitary products, baby boxes, and more. As long as there is a cheap vote, then this government splashes the dosh. Sorry political rant.

Bostonhibby
18-12-2020, 06:05 PM
Might need to ask again. Surely that’s what a grant amounts to, they’ll need to apply?Good point but it's also in the gift of the SFA just to distribute Grant's as they see fit? Sounds like they've already given it some thought.

I'd be amazed if the yam snout isn't already in the trough if an application is required.

Iggy Pope
18-12-2020, 06:06 PM
Not in this country, we give out money to anyone, irrespective of income. Prescription fees, winter weather heating allowance, free bus fares, free sanitary products, baby boxes, and more. As long as there is a cheap vote, then this government splashes the dosh. Sorry political rant.

It is a rant and a daft one. But still a wee bit wide of what a grant defines as. No one got tampons or bus passes on being eligible after applying for a grant did they?

The 90+2
18-12-2020, 06:06 PM

That would be why you have to apply for a Scottish welfare grant then? Imagine a government wanting to assist the needy. Devils.

H113EE5
18-12-2020, 06:08 PM
That would be why you have to apply for a Scottish welfare grant then? Imagine a government wanting to assist the needy. Devils.

I agree... help the needy when there's evidence of need. This scattergun approach is a waste of our taxes.

G B Young
18-12-2020, 06:13 PM
I agree... help the needy when there's evidence of need. This scattergun approach is a waste of our taxes.

Not so much a scattergun approach as an all-encompassing one which, as you say, sees those not in need receive many of the same benefits as those who can most certainly benefit from them. I agree that a more means-tested approach would make more economic sense but it's an argument for another forum.

Speedy
18-12-2020, 06:19 PM

Depends how much tax cash it costs to collect and evaluate any evidence.

Billy Whizz
18-12-2020, 06:20 PM
Not so much a scattergun approach as an all-encompassing one which, as you say, sees those not in need receive many of the same benefits as those who can most certainly benefit from them. I agree that a more means-tested approach would make more economic sense but it's an argument for another forum.

So part time Alloa and Arbroath get £500K each, and full time Falkirk and Partick get £150k each
You’d have thought the full time clubs would be more in need of the cash

King Cosell
18-12-2020, 06:33 PM
We can get a loan on the high street, every PL club can.

JXM73
18-12-2020, 06:46 PM
All clubs takin the money should not be allowed to buy players in january....

HibeeSince85
18-12-2020, 06:55 PM
We can get a loan on the high street, every PL club can.

Are the banks still not against lending to SPL clubs?

CropleyWasGod
18-12-2020, 07:18 PM
Pretty sure Raman is taking a guess at these numbers, and just applying an average.

For example, he says each Premiership team will get a loan of £1.67m. How does he know that every team will want one?

tamig
18-12-2020, 07:25 PM
So part time Alloa and Arbroath get £500K each, and full time Falkirk and Partick get £150k each
You’d have thought the full time clubs would be more in need of the cash

That’s the way the cookie crumbles. Falkirk and Partick have chosen to stay full-time in the third tier.

Juniper Greens
18-12-2020, 09:12 PM

Studies show that making a benefit available only to those who apply for it often results in the most needy not receiving it, either due to lack of sophistication in application or simply a stigma associated with applying.

The cost of means testing often outweighs any potential saving.

End of statement, back to the football!

The 90+2
18-12-2020, 09:29 PM
That’s the way the cookie crumbles. Falkirk and Partick have chosen to stay full-time in the third tier.

Partick have been massively shafted mind you. Maybe Budge will hand them over Hearts' compensation money of £500k.

matty_f
18-12-2020, 09:40 PM

None of those things are bad things.

hhibs
18-12-2020, 09:42 PM
It is a rant and a daft one. But still a wee bit wide of what a grant defines as. No one got tampons or bus passes on being eligible after applying for a grant did they?

Correct.

McSwanky
18-12-2020, 10:28 PM
I agree... help the needy when there's evidence of need. This scattergun approach is a waste of our taxes.Do the words social stigma mean anything to you? I notice you didn't mention the NHS, going by your definitions, that must be the biggest waste of taxpayers' money by a long way?

McSwanky
18-12-2020, 10:28 PM
Anyway, **** the Hearts.

19-12-2020, 06:34 AM

Not sure how anyone can disagree with free sanitary products. Period poverty is frankly abhorrent in any sort of progressive society.

Hibernia&Alba
19-12-2020, 07:00 AM

Means testing can be more expensive than universal coverage, due to the time and money spent on the bureaucracy of applying a means test. It can be self-defeating. It also creates resentment amongst those who don't receive the benefit yet pay in more via taxes. Personally I like the idea of universal coverage as a general principle: everyone pays in according to their means; everyone gets a little something back. Some of those who don't need it will pay in far more than they get back; resentment, which can be exploited, is avoided. Prescriptions were free when the NHS was created, as was dentistry and eye tests.

Future17
19-12-2020, 07:13 AM
Better than stealing it for a change.

Arguably, if the grant money is intended to replace lost income, larger sums should be paid to clubs who have historically had higher income.

Bostonhibby
19-12-2020, 07:37 AM
Arguably, if the grant money is intended to replace lost income, larger sums should be paid to clubs who have historically had higher income.Fair point, maybe a definition of income is the way to go.

Perhaps linking it to normal sources of regular club income that applies to all clubs is the way to go to prevent a few clubs gaining more as a result of other external cash being handed over that not all enjoy.

The Baldmans Comb
19-12-2020, 07:43 AM

Living in a country where anyone and everyone gets free prescriptions,winter weather heating allowances, free bus fares, free sanitary products, free baby boxes and the more obvious free NHS without the stigma of means testing all sounds incredibly fortunate and positive.

Shouldn't all governments strive to support their citizens in this way.

Keith_M
19-12-2020, 07:53 AM
I must admit to being a bit confused. Is the government giving Hearts Tampons?

Jones28
19-12-2020, 08:06 AM
I must admit to being a bit confused. Is the government giving Hearts Tampons?

Eh...yes?

They are for fannys after all.

heretoday
19-12-2020, 08:23 AM
Studies show that making a benefit available only to those who apply for it often results in the most needy not receiving it, either due to lack of sophistication in application or simply a stigma associated with applying.

On reflection I reckon you're right. Good post.

Hibernia&Alba
19-12-2020, 08:31 AM

You make another good point in relation to means testing: some who are eligible don't apply, for whatever reason, and miss out.

ballengeich
19-12-2020, 08:33 AM
Hearts must be grateful to the clubs who voted for their relegation now that it means they're getting a grant rather than a loan so are much better off. I'm sure Kickback will have a thread to that effect.

superfurryhibby
19-12-2020, 09:10 AM
Eh...yes?

They are for fannys after all.

Are insults involving genitalia still allowed? Just asking for a friend:wink:

Billy Whizz
19-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Seemingly you can’t use it to fund transfers
Wonder how they’ll police this

Eyrie
19-12-2020, 09:27 AM
Seemingly you can’t use it to fund transfers
Wonder how they’ll police this

Either Hearts won't be applying for the grant or Budge plans to misuse money intended to keep clubs from folding. Per the BBC gossip page (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55370585)

Heart of Midlothian owner Ann Budge has reassured manager Robbie Neilson that the challenging financial climate will not affect planned investment in the Championship leaders' squad. (The Herald, print edition)

Peevemor
19-12-2020, 09:33 AM
No matter what criteria are used for distributing this sort of aid there will always be winners, losers and accusations of imparity.

I think the blanket payments to the lower league teams are fair and, compared to the median turnover in each division, are probably about right in terms of size.

I've no sympathy for Falkirk and Partick getting "only" £250k. It's their bad management that has resulted in their being in the 3rd tier.

Hearts getting £500k doesn't bother me either. That they have benefactors keeping them afloat has nothing to do with the government.

I'm more disappointed with the €2m loan thing for top tier clubs. For me there should be an element of grant (£0.5 - 1m?) with an option to borrow more if need be. Most clubs struggle financially and any loan repayments , even low interest, will have an adverse effect.

The team promoted to the SPL for next season will have benefited from £500k that their opponents didn't get, but will have to find money to repay the equivalent loans.

WhileTheChief..
19-12-2020, 09:44 AM
Budges’s statement following their AGM.

:blah: :blah: :blah:

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/chairmans-statement-1-2-3-4-5-6

Rumble de Thump
19-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Budges’s statement following their AGM.

:blah: :blah: :blah:

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/chairmans-statement-1-2-3-4-5-6

"our all-important reputation as Champions for openness, fairness, honesty and integrity" :greengrin

tamig
19-12-2020, 11:20 AM
Partick have been massively shafted mind you. Maybe Budge will hand them over Hearts' compensation money of £500k.

Don’t forget that they have benefitted hugely from their late benefactor. I think they also still enjoy benefits from his legacy.

Kaiser_Sauzee
19-12-2020, 01:30 PM

If we stopped this approach, we are left with two options.

1. Means test the allowances and benefits with the associated administrative costs quickly negating any savings.

2. Scrap all benefits and make everyone pay.

Over to you.

Malthibby
19-12-2020, 01:58 PM
Living in a country where anyone and everyone gets free prescriptions,winter weather heating allowances, free bus fares, free sanitary products, free baby boxes and the more obvious free NHS without the stigma of means testing all sounds incredibly fortunate and positive.

Shouldn't all governments strive to support their citizens in this way.

Yup.:agree: