PDA

View Full Version : Drey Wright

Pages : [1] 2

Kinross Hibee
18-12-2020, 08:47 AM
Can't believe he doesn't have his own thread until now

Don't like being over critical of Hibs Players, especially when the team on the whole have been playing well. But this guy...

Cannot consistently make a successful 10 yard pass, gets caught out off position more often than any other hibs player, tries to beat his man (which I appreciated) but runs it out of play or straight into his man, plays with his head down (a big "No No" for me) and has negative impact on other player performance due to his pure inability to allow them to trust him.

The "He deserves another chance", "took his goal against rangers well" and "great ball for doidge header against hamilton" don't justify a regular place in the squad for me. Can't justify 10-15 p**s poor performances for 2 moments of above average / good. If the budget allows, replace... if not S MCGinn, Mallan, Magennis, Allan (when returned) and Newell are all better options.

Hope he proves me wrong and scores a hatrick at the weekend, but i have my doubts...:flag:

Brightside
18-12-2020, 08:50 AM
He's had his on thread, and he's been slated on that and other threads Infact i'm sure you made a point of saying you'd rather have Fraser Murray playing? :wink:

Bostonhibby
18-12-2020, 08:54 AM

Don't like being over critical of Hibs Players, especially when the team on the whole have been playing well. But this guy...

Cannot consistently make a successful 10 yard pass, gets caught out off position more often than any other hibs player, tries to beat his man (which I appreciated) but runs it out of play or straight into his man, plays with his head down (a big "No No" for me) and has negative impact on other player performance due to his pure inability to allow them to trust him.

The "He deserves another chance", "took his goal against rangers well" and "great ball for doidge header against hamilton" don't justify a regular place in the squad for me. Can't justify 10-15 p**s poor performances for 2 moments of above average / good. If the budget allows, replace... if not S MCGinn, Mallan, Magennis, Allan (when returned) and Newell are all better options.

Hope he proves me wrong and scores a hatrick at the weekend, but i have my doubts...:flag:We've had a few who need a while to settle in, that Doidge fella came good. Wright's been hit and miss, mostly miss so far but we must have seen something to cause us to sign him so not going to pile pressure on our players in the build up to some important games.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Moulin Yarns
18-12-2020, 09:05 AM
I have said before, I have friends who are neighbours of his grandparents. The guy had a season long injury at St Johnstone and, as with Scott Allan, we don't know the exact details, but any sports person coming back from injury is understandably cautious. Return to full fitness and get back to speed, especially with new team mates, will always take time.

He needs games, but must be doing OK in training otherwise Jack Ross wouldn't pick him.

H18 SFR
18-12-2020, 09:11 AM
He’s got something about him, perhaps we need to be patient.

Moulin Yarns
18-12-2020, 09:14 AM
Not forgetting the sometimes unseen off the ball work which we are missing on screen. I think he has had a couple of assists and is showing willingness to get involved.

Ronniekirk
18-12-2020, 09:15 AM
I have nothing to say apart from he needs to improve if he wants to get into first team
He shouldn’t need time to settle he has played in Scotland so by now I expected more
He is never going to score a lot of goals as doesn’t appear to have confidence
But it would be good to hear from Ross the role he envisaged Wright can play in the team and what his strengths are
Most of the new recruits it’s now clear what they bring to the team
But I struggle to see this with Wright
Given he is on a long term deal we need to see improvement next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since452
18-12-2020, 09:15 AM
Great another thread slating one of our own players. Been a while

flash
18-12-2020, 09:19 AM

Hope he proves me wrong and scores a hatrick at the weekend, but i have my doubts...:flag:

I hate everything about this post. Why do we need to have a thread simply to slate one of our own players? He clearly has ability, we saw that at St Johnstone.
Some players take time to settle, some come out the traps flying and some simply don't do well at certain clubs.

JohnMcM
18-12-2020, 09:20 AM
I have said before, I have friends who are neighbours of his grandparents. The guy had a season long injury at St Johnstone and, as with Scott Allan, we don't know the exact details, but any sports person coming back from injury is understandably cautious. Return to full fitness and get back to speed, especially with new team mates, will always take time.

He needs games, but must be doing OK in training otherwise Jack Ross wouldn't pick him.

I had forgotten that. I wonder how many others on the forum are like me. It could explain the impatience of others to see him perform, myself included. Thanks for the reminder.

04Sauzee
18-12-2020, 09:21 AM

Sometimes wish. Net had the ability to like a post 👍

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-12-2020, 09:23 AM
If there was a thread called inconsistent players, then arguably most of them would be on it at some point. That's a different story than not being good enough. I am not saying that we are world beaters or even a top drawer side, but it's fair to say that this boy is stepping up a level by signing for us and when that happens it is a bonus if they hit the ground running, not a guarantee.

Kinross Hibee
18-12-2020, 09:23 AM
He's had his on thread, and he's been slated on that and other threads Infact i'm sure you made a point of saying you'd rather have Fraser Murray playing? :wink:

I absolutely would, I've seen far more moments that make me think "he deserves his chance" (both with hibs and dunfermline) than I have with DW. And I am not saying I'd have FM playing every week, but certainly would have in squad over DW.

Horrible to say, but DW wouldn't look out of place in the 'class of 13/14'. Reminds me of many of those players we rightly cleared out. Perhaps a tad harsh for a Friday morning but just an observation...

Kinross Hibee
18-12-2020, 09:27 AM
I hate everything about this post. Why do we need to have a thread simply to slate one of our own players? He clearly has ability, we saw that at St Johnstone.
Some players take time to settle, some come out the traps flying and some simply don't do well at certain clubs.

Ability? Have some of what your smoking :cb

bigwheel
18-12-2020, 09:27 AM
I absolutely would, I've seen far more moments that make me think "he deserves his chance" (both with hibs and dunfermline) than I have with DW. And I am not saying I'd have FM playing every week, but certainly would have in squad over DW.

Horrible to say, but DW wouldn't look out of place in the 'class of 13/14'. Reminds me of many of those players we rightly cleared out. Perhaps a tad harsh for a Friday morning but just an observation...

He did well in the last game but one, and has created and scored this season . Players aren’t robots. He will know he is not hitting the right levels yet , in fact he said so in the press recently . Why not give him time to build his confidence and fitness back before you make such judgements ?

Kinross Hibee
18-12-2020, 09:30 AM
He did well in the last game but one, and has created and scored this season . Players aren’t robots. He will know he is not hitting the right levels yet , in fact he said so in the press recently . Why not give him time to build his confidence and fitness back before you make such judgements ?

What game? V alloa? :confused:

calumhibee1
18-12-2020, 09:32 AM

Did we see that at St J? Genuine question because I don’t remember him at all and he scored 1 goal in 45 games. From the looks of things he only got 1 assist as well. That’s pretty horrific for an attacking player.

What did he do well at St J?

Moulin Yarns
18-12-2020, 09:33 AM
I had forgotten that. I wonder how many others on the forum are like me. It could explain the impatience of others to see him perform, myself included. Thanks for the reminder.

Obviously the original poster has ignored my post because it doesn't fit his opinion (almost wrote agenda)

ancient hibee
18-12-2020, 09:33 AM

I take it threads like these are a substitute when you can’t go along and boo somebody for 90 minutes.

Kinross Hibee
18-12-2020, 09:40 AM
Obviously the original poster has ignored my post because it doesn't fit his opinion (almost wrote agenda)

I didn't feel the need to response as I don't agree, correct. Out of curtesy, I have now acknowledged :aok:

Moulin Yarns
18-12-2020, 09:41 AM

He scored in the 2-2 draw with The Rangers.

https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/status/1308345298058711040

Moulin Yarns
18-12-2020, 09:42 AM
I didn't feel the need to response as I don't agree, correct. Out of curtesy, I have now acknowledged :aok:

More like you couldn't respond as it is the truth? :rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
18-12-2020, 09:42 AM
So that's Drey Wright sorted, who's next?

We've a squad that's 3rd in the league, in a cup semi with a realistic chance of a final and some big games ahead.

flash
18-12-2020, 09:47 AM
Did we see that at St J? Genuine question because I don’t remember him at all and he scored 1 goal in 45 games. From the looks of things he only got 1 assist as well. That’s pretty horrific for an attacking player.

What did he do well at St J?

Tommy Wright said he was desperate to keep him.

matty_f
18-12-2020, 09:49 AM

I’m 100% behind you on this. :agree:

Kinross Hibee
18-12-2020, 09:53 AM
He scored in the 2-2 draw with The Rangers.

https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/status/1308345298058711040

Refer to my original post, I know this :grr: Amadou Konte scored 1 goal for hibs, doesn't mean I wished for him to play for us aswell! :tee hee:

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-12-2020, 09:53 AM
A cracking assist recently (v Hamilton I think)

Some of the comments when he's announced in the starting line up are embarrassing from hibs fans

We're sitting in a very healthy position in the league, and we've got threads and replies to hibs about players not being good enough

bigwheel
18-12-2020, 09:54 AM

Hamilton

JimBHibees
18-12-2020, 09:59 AM

Do we really need another thread ripping a Hibs player. Always very sceptical of the motivation re these sort of threads. 10 to 15 poor performances utter nonsense.

JimBHibees
18-12-2020, 10:00 AM

Couldn't agree more pointless scapegoating

calumhibee1
18-12-2020, 10:03 AM
Tommy Wright said he was desperate to keep him.

I’m not sure that tells us a lot tbh.

Anyway, I’d agree that it seems a bit of a pointless slagging. I can understand it more after a game but to just start a thread slating him out the blue seems bizarre.

Kinross Hibee
18-12-2020, 10:04 AM
Hamilton

You said last game, which was alloa? Although I understand if you forgot that he was playing, We never clicked until he was replaced!

scoopyboy
18-12-2020, 10:05 AM
You said last game, which was alloa? Although I understand if you forgot that he was playing, We never clicked until he was replaced!

He actually said last but one game, ie Hamilton.

Moulin Yarns
18-12-2020, 10:07 AM
Do we really need another thread ripping a Hibs player. Always very sceptical of the motivation re these sort of threads. 10 to 15 poor performances utter nonsense.

Funnily enough I wondered that about this thread so I looked at the OP's history, and it is basically "Drey Wright is rubbish and Fraser Murray is the next Pele"

I think it might be Murray posting under a pseudonym :wink:

JimBHibees
18-12-2020, 10:09 AM
Funnily enough I wondered that about this thread so I looked at the OP's history, and it is basically "Drey Wright is rubbish and Fraser Murray is the next Pele"

Possibly :greengrin

Jim44
18-12-2020, 10:10 AM

What a coincidence. In the last hour or two I’ve been surfing around a few different forums with ‘like’ buttons and was thinking to myself that this would be great on Hibs.net. Doubt if that could be fitted into the web design.:dunno:

BSEJVT
18-12-2020, 10:15 AM

Well done you

Without checking back your previous posts I see that you have waited a maximum of a whole 11 posts to start a thread lambasting a Hibs player.

That's support for you, many thanks.

IMO a player deserves criticism other than the odd moan for 2 reasons

1) He's not trying

2) Consistently bottles out of tackles

Neither are the case with Wright.

I have moaned about him in the past and it is clear he isn't yet performing as we wish but like Dodge and Newall we maybe just need to cut him a bit slack.

If the manager continues to pick any player then it is up to the manager to select them or not, there are very few players I can recall watching Hibs over the last 50 years that I thought he isn't trying a bit.

I have though seen plenty badly out of form and the one thing I can promise you is that they know and feel worse about it than we do.

Anyone who has ever played a sport at any level is gutted by performing badly.

My golf is awful just now and I am hating it and embarrassed by my performances, I do that for "enjoyment" imagine that was your day job and you needed to think about it virtually all day every day.

Mallan is another example, I know there is a player in there but he has had a really troubled last 18 months and you can see that in him, IMO it restricts even the way he moves, its as if he is running through treacle.

Give the guy a chance

Kinross Hibee
18-12-2020, 10:18 AM

:blah:

Moulin Yarns
18-12-2020, 10:30 AM
:blah:

Glad to see that you seen sense and now agree :wink:

Here are your posts

First post, on a thread about Joe Newell

Not his greatest, but you must have been watching a different game from me. Drey Wrights performance last night (like most of his), was nothing short of pathetic. Can't believe we let slivka go in the summer and brought DW in (albeit he was brought in originally to fulfil a different position) but he is certainly not an upgrade and is an imposter that was below par for StJ last season. Get shot of him next summer and give F Murray the chance he deserves next season when he's back from loan!

Same thread

My point is Wright is not an upgrade on Slivka, and I agree with you, Slivka was a squad player at best, leading me back to my point that Wright shouldn't be near our bench. Noted regarding F Murray, but again would rather him in the team over Wright.

again, same thread

Don't get the negativity towards F Murray, correct he doesn't start every week but I think it said last night he had 3 goals and 2 assists this season... It's often the 11 that finish a game that matters more than starts a game, last night prime example with Stevie Mallan replacing a very poor Wright.

You went onto the Greggs thread for the next post

Reinforcements
Shopping list January 2021...

Priority - CB to challenge RP & PH for their jersey (not another to be viewed as a back-up)

Priority - Winger to play opposite side from MB, JM impressive but injury prone and DW not good enough for me to consider as viable cover.

Priority - RB cover for SPM, if he gets a second half of season lay off we'd potentially be heavily relaying on an aging SDG - either a replacement to come in on loan or permanent / or return of TJ from wigan??? - Worth another shot perhaps although not overawed with his hibs performances to date.

Nice to have - Striker of any sorts to challenge CD & KN, with the youngs guys as a back-up / appearances from the bench.

Nice to have - Another GK tied down on a permanent deal fighting for number 1 spot, don't feel DB has any real chance and only loan deal - would suspect that this will not be priority and dealt with in summer.

Nice to have - Holding mid, a mix of Gogic and Hallberg if there is such a thing???

Surprised you didn't tout Fraser Murray. :wink:

Then you started this thread.

If there isn't an agenda you've kept it well hidden. :greengrin

NthCarolinaHibs
18-12-2020, 10:33 AM
Well done you

Without checking back your previous posts I see that you have waited a maximum of a whole 11 posts to start a thread lambasting a Hibs player.

That's support for you, many thanks.

IMO a player deserves criticism other than the odd moan for 2 reasons

1) He's not trying

2) Consistently bottles out of tackles

Neither are the case with Wright.

I have moaned about him in the past and it is clear he isn't yet performing as we wish but like Dodge and Newall we maybe just need to cut him a bit slack.

If the manager continues to pick any player then it is up to the manager to select them or not, there are very few players I can recall watching Hibs over the last 50 years that I thought he isn't trying a bit.

I have though seen plenty badly out of form and the one thing I can promise you is that they know and feel worse about it than we do.

Anyone who has ever played a sport at any level is gutted by performing badly.

My golf is awful just now and I am hating it and embarrassed by my performances, I do that for "enjoyment" imagine that was your day job and you needed to think about it virtually all day every day.

Mallan is another example, I know there is a player in there but he has had a really troubled last 18 months and you can see that in him, IMO it restricts even the way he moves, its as if he is running through treacle.

Give the guy a chance

Well said 👍

Shrekko
18-12-2020, 10:35 AM
Ability? Have some of what your smoking :cb

Tommy Wright called him his best ever signing - love him or hate him, he's a pretty shrewd manager. Jack Ross wanted to sign him- he's also a very good manager.

When there's a debate going on about whether or not he has ability I'm taking the opinions of Tommy Wright and Jack Ross over yours.

Brightside
18-12-2020, 10:39 AM

So you have created an account simply to slag a player off. Has he been stealing your milk recently?

Fergos
18-12-2020, 10:46 AM
Yes, he hasn’t had the most brilliant of starts but by the very definition of the word “supporters”, maybe we should back him as long as he is wearing the Hibernian jersey. May even help him in turning in some improved performances, that he is obviously capable off.

GGTTH

Diclonius
18-12-2020, 10:49 AM
People need a scapegoat for that security in their lives, don't they?

Causewayside PR
18-12-2020, 10:52 AM
I intend to agree with the OP. Wright is not a good player and has never been or played at a decent level. That does not mean to say he cannot morph into one but he has done little to show that he will turn things around.
Yes, we had Newell and Doidge start slowly but they had CVs that demonstrated they were talented and showed glimpses, even if at times fleeting, of their skills and abilities.
Wright has been here a while now and has shown little to impress.
Still support him on the park but am skeptical and think there is a lack of evidence to suggest he will improve.

bigwheel
18-12-2020, 10:58 AM

Lol.....Suggest you get money back on that reading course you did ...

J-C
18-12-2020, 10:59 AM
Hes not been great, he's shown glimpses like against Hamilton but needs to do it more often. If he doesn't improve by the end of the season, then we should be looking at someone else, until then we'll trust Ross as he sees him every day.

Hibs90
18-12-2020, 11:02 AM
I actually agree that I'd rather have FM playing over Wright however in the main whatever the team is doing is working and we are winning games so thats all that matters.

Andy74
18-12-2020, 11:07 AM
I actually agree that I'd rather have FM playing over Wright however in the main whatever the team is doing is working and we are winning games so thats all that matters.

I get a bit of the criticism about Wright so far but not that Fraser Murray should have been playing instead.

Hibs90
18-12-2020, 11:09 AM
I get a bit of the criticism about Wright so far but not that Fraser Murray should have been playing instead.

I feel like Murray would have contributed more in terms of assists and goals but will never know.

tamig
18-12-2020, 11:17 AM

I despise all threads where the sole purpose appears to be about slagging the player off.

HFC93
18-12-2020, 11:21 AM
A section of our support love to have a player that they pick on relentlessy. See Joe Newell last season.

easty
18-12-2020, 11:22 AM

Yep, starting a thread to point out that one of our first team players is *****, is odd behaviour.

easty
18-12-2020, 11:24 AM
I feel like Murray would have contributed more in terms of assists and goals but will never know.

I know. He wouldn’t have.

That’s why he’s out on loan at Dunfermline and unable to get a regular start.

Drey Wright, while being far from great this season is a better option that Fraser Murray.

Hibernian Verse
18-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Does Fraser Murray's Dad stay in Kinross?

Jones28
18-12-2020, 11:29 AM

Fraser Murray had a couple of opportunities last season and the only thing of note I remember was him losing the ball and us conceding goal immediately.

Carheenlea
18-12-2020, 11:40 AM
It feels like we have more threads singling out individual poor performances than individual praise.

We set high standards, and rightly so, but this incessant criticism of certain Hibs players is becoming exhausting.
It wouldn’t be so bad if we were struggling down the bottom of the league, but collectively the squad have contributed to a fairly lofty league position and a good cup run. Everyone has played their part.

TheGreenMan
18-12-2020, 11:41 AM
Not his biggest fan but ultimately he's been signed by the management, probably because he can play 4 positions which helps in a season with a trimmed squad. I don't think he's deliberately trying to play badly, so I don't see the point in criticism. If you're going to criticise anyone, blame the guy who signed him and who puts him on the park. The problem with that is we're limited in options wide left with 4 at the back and whilst I am a big fan of Jamie Murphy, a fit Drey Wright offers more to the team than an injured Jamie Murphy, which sadly seems to be the case more often than I'd like.

Iggy Pope
18-12-2020, 11:44 AM

Not sure.
Drey Wright might very well though as he is clearly cutting someone’s else’s grass.

Jim44
18-12-2020, 11:58 AM
It feels like we have more threads singling out individual poor performances than individual praise.

We set high standards, and rightly so, but this incessant criticism of certain Hibs players is becoming exhausting.
It wouldn’t be so bad if we were struggling down the bottom of the league, but collectively the squad have contributed to a fairly lofty league position and a good cup run. Everyone has played their part.

Ditto.

On the point of the “exhausting”, incessant criticism of individual players, how does the ignore button on this message-board work? For example how does ‘ignoring’ affect the fluency of a thread. I take it that the ignored poster’s threads are hidden but are quoted responses to their posts shown? If so, it makes full and continuing ignoring difficult.

Dalianwanda
18-12-2020, 12:03 PM
Looking at the match thread the other day was painful. No he wasn't having the best of games but it was just post after post slating him. Have we not learn our lesson after Doidge or Newell that sometimes players need a bit of time. We talk about how great the anxiety and depression thread is for supporting those going through tough times yet have no qualms in giving someone it tight when we don't know anything about their situation. I doubt he reads the message board but still. He might make it he might not but some are too quick to the keyboard to put the boot in.

Hibernian Verse
18-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Not sure.
Drey Wright might very well though as he is clearly cutting someone’s else’s grass.Haha also a possibility.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

WhileTheChief..
18-12-2020, 12:08 PM
Glad to see that you seen sense and now agree :wink:

Here are your posts

First post, on a thread about Joe Newell

Same thread

again, same thread

You went onto the Greggs thread for the next post

Surprised you didn't tout Fraser Murray. :wink:

Then you started this thread.

If there isn't an agenda you've kept it well hidden. :greengrin

Kinda creepy that you went to that much effort to try and make a point.

The lad just doesn’t rate Wright, hardly crime of the century.

He does however rate Murray, what’s wrong with that?

Moulin Yarns
18-12-2020, 12:16 PM

Not much effort at all. He/she only has 13 posts. 12 slated Drey Wright.

Brightside
18-12-2020, 12:17 PM

Id say even more creepy to create an account simply to slag a player off.

Ronniekirk
18-12-2020, 12:18 PM
A cracking assist recently (v Hamilton I think)

Some of the comments when he's announced in the starting line up are embarrassing from hibs fans

We're sitting in a very healthy position in the league, and we've got threads and replies to hibs about players not being good enough

Hamilton game was by far best he has played apart from shooting but he then followed it up with a poor game v Alloa when you would of thought his confidence would be high

Moulin Yarns
18-12-2020, 12:19 PM
Hamilton game was by far best he has played apart from shooting but he then followed it up with a poor game v Alloa when you would of thought his confidence would be high

Name one player who didn't have a poor game against Alloa? 😉

Oh no!! I've fallen into the trap of sagging players. 😉

Col2
18-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Would be nice when we are close to 2nd place and favourites to win the league cup, playing well and scoring goals we didn’t have threads like this.

If he reads it - it will hardly help.

Let’s support him?

Bobby's Cinema
18-12-2020, 12:32 PM
Would be nice when we are close to 2nd place and favourites to win the league cup, playing well and scoring goals we didn’t have threads like this.

If he reads it - it will hardly help.

Let’s support him?
Spot on.

While he has some convincing to do as a starter, the guy is trying his best and has contributed goals and assists this season in the squad.
It's up to the manager to select him and he can only do his best when he does.

Moulin Yarns
18-12-2020, 12:34 PM
Spot on.

While he has some convincing to do as a starter, the guy is trying his best and has contributed goals and assists this season in the squad.
It's up to the manager to select him and he can only do his best when he does.

#weareallDreyWright

cocteautwin
18-12-2020, 01:01 PM
Totally unnecessary thread. Get behind 100% of Hibs.

Dalianwanda
18-12-2020, 01:06 PM
Totally unnecessary thread. Get behind 100% of Hibs.

Looking at the balanced perspective and not just around slating a player I think this is a valid thread......Its not just about Drey its about any of our players who take time to settle or suffer a dip in form. Maybe not what the OP was looking at but certainly the way the thread has moved.

H18 SFR
18-12-2020, 01:14 PM
#weareallDreyWright

Defo liking this positivity.

hibee-boys
18-12-2020, 01:29 PM
Too early to ‘Wright’ him off yet, happy to give the guy time to impress but I don’t think he was brought here to be a starter. Versatile player who can play in a number of positions, useful member of the squad but, yes, not showed much yet which would justify him being a regular first team starter.

CraigHibee
18-12-2020, 01:30 PM
sure he set doidge up for his goal against hamilton?

suppose it's someone else's turn to get pelters :rolleyes:

basehibby
18-12-2020, 01:32 PM
He hasn't overly impressed me but then again has still managed to pop up with a couple of assists and a vital goal vs der hun. Some players take a wee while to settle and I'm hoping that's the case with Wright with the best yet to come.

Pretty Boy
18-12-2020, 01:35 PM
He might make it at Hibs, he might not. Is he going to get a fair chance to do so though?

People were a bit down on him before he had even kicked a ball for us. Obviously every signing isn't going to be cause for mass hysteria but he got a far more lukewarm reception than Gogic, Nisbet or Magennis. On the whole he has been a wee bit disappointing but he has shown flashes. Maybe he'll take time to settle and we'll see more from him as the season wears on. It's also worth considering every single players can't be a superstar, having a guy around who can cover 2 or 3 positions from the bench is a fairly useful asset.

superfurryhibby
18-12-2020, 01:36 PM
Not much effort at all. He/she only has 13 posts. 12 slated Drey Wright.

I'm always suspicious of new posters who launch straight in with the divisive **** that the Kinross guy did, with the stuff about Slivka and Murray etc. What a loadae Tom KIte. As usual one or two of the usual suspects run with it.

As for Wright , who knows. He must do enough in training to impress Jack Ross and for now that'll do me. Coming back from serious long term injury, that's always a challenge. Calling someone an imposter etc, that's hallmark of a skid mark.

Pretty Boy
18-12-2020, 01:38 PM
Name one player who didn't have a poor game against Alloa? 😉

Oh no!! I've fallen into the trap of sagging players. 😉

Stevie Mallan.

What do I win?:greengrin

hhibs
18-12-2020, 01:40 PM

Interesting information ,could explain the apparent lack of confidence.

Thought he had a very good game against Hamilton and looked the part but ,like many others poor at Alloa.

I was very critical earlier but, as others have said, there is something about him.

In short ,we shall see if he kicks on , fingers crossed.

Booked4Being-Ugly
18-12-2020, 01:42 PM
Stevie Mallan.

2 stick on eyebrows.

Moulin Yarns
18-12-2020, 01:47 PM
Stevie Mallan.

I'll be round with a big kiss and cuddle 😉

Inconsequential
18-12-2020, 01:51 PM
I consider myself a Hibernian supporter and Drey Wright plays for Hibernian therefore I will support Drey Wright. That's what supporters do. The manager selects him and he is probably more qualified than most to judge whether he merits a place in the team. I wish Drey Wright every success at Hibs.

Latapy'sVolley
18-12-2020, 02:03 PM
I consider myself a Hibernian supporter and Drey Wright plays for Hibernian therefore I will support Drey Wright. That's what supporters do. The manager selects him and he is probably more qualified than most to judge whether he merits a place in the team. I wish Drey Wright every success at Hibs.

This is how i feel as well. Feel like we do a lot of complaining about other fans' complaining, and really that can be lessoned by...a bit more supporting?

Not that criticising the team isn't fair, course it is, but should always be in context and maybe a midweek thread attacking a player low in confidence when we haven't lost in 7, are 3rd in the league and have just got into a league cup semi maybe isn't going to lead to anything positive.

Sheffhibee
18-12-2020, 02:14 PM
Looking at the match thread the other day was painful. No he wasn't having the best of games but it was just post after post slating him. Have we not learn our lesson after Doidge or Newell that sometimes players need a bit of time. We talk about how great the anxiety and depression thread is for supporting those going through tough times yet have no qualms in giving someone it tight when we don't know anything about their situation. I doubt he reads the message board but still. He might make it he might not but some are too quick to the keyboard to put the boot in.

Exactly..... give the lad the rest of the season and if he still hasn't found his feet then I for one am confident that JR and the coaching staff will take any action required. Best of luck to him and hope he proves the doubters wrong:flag::flag::flag:

CMurdoch
18-12-2020, 02:16 PM
It is no coincidence that the 3 new players who have come back from long term injury (Wright, Murphy & Magennis) have been inconsistent and suffered niggling injuries since their return. Murphy is a bigger worry for me than Wright, a great player but appears to get very easily injured and doesn't return to fitness quickly.

As for Wright's ability, Tommy Wright (Manager) and Stuart Cosgrove (Fan) thought he was one of St Johnstone's best ever signings and Jack Ross, who has proved a good judge of a player, signed him, sees him in training and plays him. Can he be the player he was before the injury? As per Murphy & Magennis we will have to patiently wait and see.
I'm backing the guy to become more consistent but must be honest and admit to a "for ****s sake"when he ran the ball beyond the deadball line against Alloa.

As for Fraser Murray, he's on the bench for Dunfermline most weeks which i take as evidence that he wouldn't play for Hibs ahead of Wright. He has scored some good goals on loan and hopefully can come back to Hibs in the summer a better and more experienced player who is ready to stake his claim.

Ronniekirk
18-12-2020, 02:21 PM
Name one player who didn't have a poor game against Alloa? [emoji6]

Oh no!! I've fallen into the trap of sagging players. [emoji6]

But the issue is a lot these players have had plenty good games Sio when they collectively don’t play great you make allowances
No one was happy with Newell when he arrived But he turned it around with putting in good performances
So at some point Wright may do the same
It’s up to him and the coaching staff to do that When he has a good game eg hamilton game I will give him credit

Billy Whizz
18-12-2020, 02:27 PM

100% he doesn’t

Northernhibee
18-12-2020, 02:33 PM

100%. It’s really boring and like a one up contest to see who can be the most scathing about him. Even seen his name pop up on a most hated ex players thread. Pathetic.

He’s not had the best start but hasn’t done anything to deserve the wave of rubbish either.

Liam978
18-12-2020, 02:42 PM

With you 100%, if you pull on the famous Green and White jersey of Hibernian, you deserve some form of support. Not a total public assassination.

erin go bragh
18-12-2020, 02:49 PM
My wee Nana ( god rest her soul) would say, if you can’t say nothing nice, zip it 🤫 😁

Bostonhibby
18-12-2020, 02:53 PM
I consider myself a Hibernian supporter and Drey Wright plays for Hibernian therefore I will support Drey Wright. That's what supporters do. The manager selects him and he is probably more qualified than most to judge whether he merits a place in the team. I wish Drey Wright every success at Hibs.[emoji106]

It's almost as if there's folk out there who'd like to derail the club's bit of success when there's key games coming up.

DetroitHibs
18-12-2020, 03:41 PM
He's not been great, but should be given at least a full season before righting him off. Remember when Boyle joined us. He was pretty guff too for the best part of a season.

The 90+2
18-12-2020, 04:01 PM
I think a big part of the disappointment of how poor he’s been was how much he was bigged up when he signed as being the best player Tommy Wright had signed etc.

jacomo
18-12-2020, 04:08 PM
Drey, if you’re reading... many of our best players have been criticised by our own supporters.

You do you, and ignore this nonsense.

The 90+2
18-12-2020, 04:20 PM
Drey, if you’re reading... many of our best players have been criticised by our own supporters.

You do you, and ignore this nonsense.

I really doubt any player who is having an indifferent season to be nice would google their name on a fans forum to see what people are saying unless your Jason Cummings or someone who really probably doesn’t give a crap and just happy his name is on a website 🤣

Kinross Hibee
18-12-2020, 04:23 PM
I really doubt any player who is having an indifferent season to be nice would google their name on a fans forum to see what people are saying unless your Jason Cummings or someone who really probably doesn’t give a crap and just happy his name is on a website 🤣

😂

Moulin Yarns
18-12-2020, 04:40 PM
Drey, if you are reading this, algal bloom on Loch leven has affected the original poster. That's what happens when you live in a county that doesn't exist. 😉

Hibiza
18-12-2020, 05:46 PM
Drey , any chance of a bit of flair sometime. All the best.

Brightside
18-12-2020, 05:47 PM

Believe it or not plenty players look on the forums.

The 90+2
18-12-2020, 05:50 PM

I'm not doubting that, but if a players had a howler in a poor season I don' think they would look to see what the fans think a day or so later.

Northernhibee
18-12-2020, 05:52 PM

If Boyler is looking in then I apologise for my partner messaging him to get him to post more doggo pictures on his Instagram after a couple of gone.

tamig
18-12-2020, 07:13 PM
He's not been great, but should be given at least a full season before righting him off. Remember when Boyle joined us. He was pretty guff too for the best part of a season.

So guff we ended signing him permanently.

FilipinoHibs
18-12-2020, 07:14 PM
Original post was too negative and typical of how some write off new players too soon.
Drey has been disappointing though. Looked overweight and nit fit at start of the season. Picked up an injury and then steuggked with confidence, frightened to take a man on and lots if miss placed passes. Recently looking fitter and some good deliveries. May settle down and become a good asset for us. But much more excited by Murphy.

DetroitHibs
19-12-2020, 12:05 AM
So guff we ended signing him permanently.

The Martin Boyle we have now, is night and day a better player than when he first joined us.

19-12-2020, 05:04 AM
I preferred when I actually had to go to Easter road to encounter people with a loose grasp of football.

Unseen work
19-12-2020, 05:29 AM
Wow! This wasn’t even just after a game, he must have really annoyed you before you start a thread after a couple of games of our last game��

For me Drey has struggled with injuries and not getting a consistent run of games in the team. Seems to be 3 games or so and then something happens.

I also don’t think he’s as used to playing on the left hand side or behind the striker which is what he’s being asked to do, mainly as a right mid/winger at previous clubs from what I’ve seen.

I actually think the ability is there.

Some of the bits of play I’ve seen from him, mainly his crossing and movement has been encouraging and shows he has something. The stuff he’s been poor at has been a simple miss placed pass or over running the ball under not much pressure, to me that’s more lacking sharpness or probably more accurately confidence. He also seems to lack a bit of composure, most likely as a result of lack of confidence which see’s him snatch at chances which is he stayed calm and side footed it he would have scored and probably be on 4/5 for the season.

Im not sure how his mentality is but I don’t think it’s a coincidence his poorer performances have came across teams in the lower divisions (imo). I also think wingers will suffer more than most without having fans, they’re the ones who usually encourage you to continuously knock it past your opponent and you grow in confidence.

I assume he performs well in training as Ross has selected him quite regularly when available. Here’s hoping he does well today, grabs a goal and really kicks on.

JimBHibees
19-12-2020, 07:44 AM
[emoji106]

It's almost as if there's folk out there who'd like to derail the club's bit of success when there's key games coming up.

That's what it looks like. Why would any Hibs fan do that? :dunno:

tamig
19-12-2020, 11:16 AM
The Martin Boyle we have now, is night and day a better player than when he first joined us.

That goes without saying. He’s improved hugely. However, when he first joined us on loan, you could see there was a lot of raw potential there just waiting to be developed. Guff he most certainly wasn’t.

Key West
19-12-2020, 11:23 AM
Considering unless I’m mistaken we only have two naturally wide players in Murphy and Boyle I think that Drey Wright will play an important role as the season progresses, like Magennis and Mallan he is coming back after a long term injury and needs to be playing regularly in order to boost his confidence, fitness and general match sharpness, fortunately in a sense for us there is a lot of good competition for places and the player and the fans will have to be patient in the meantime, only my opinion.:wink:

calumhibee1
19-12-2020, 11:31 AM
That goes without saying. He’s improved hugely. However, when he first joined us on loan, you could see there was a lot of raw potential there just waiting to be developed. Guff he most certainly wasn’t.

:agree:

He scored better than 1 in 6 in his loan spell here. He showed plenty to suggest he could turn into a very good player.

LeithMike
19-12-2020, 11:44 AM

He scored better than 1 in 6 in his loan spell here. He showed plenty to suggest he could turn into a very good player.Boyle certainly had good attributes when he first arrived but his final product was a bit of a let down and you could see he was on his way out under Stubbs. Everything changed under Lennon (not sure if he got better coaching or just decided to work really hard after missing out on the starting 11 in the cup final and the off the field stuff) and Boyle just got better and better as a player.

Not sure whether Drey Wright can do the same but pretty much all wingers are plagued with inconsistency. With the right coaching and attitiude, I'm sure he could go on to cement his place in the team.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
19-12-2020, 12:01 PM
Boyle certainly had good attributes when he first arrived but his final product was a bit of a let down and you could see he was on his way out under Stubbs. Everything changed under Lennon (not sure if he got better coaching or just decided to work really hard after missing out on the starting 11 in the cup final and the off the field stuff) and Boyle just got better and better as a player.

Not sure whether Drey Wright can do the same but pretty much all wingers are plagued with inconsistency. With the right coaching and attitiude, I'm sure he could go on to cement his place in the team.

You’re right. I don’t think Boyle was particularly convincing under Stubbs and without being ersed digging up old threads, we weren’t all clamouring for him to get signed up.

The transformation took place under Lennon. Like you, I’m not all that sure about the why’s and how’s, but I now see Boyle as one of the most improved players at Hibs in recent decades. He’s become a very good winger and a huge player for us.

calumhibee1
19-12-2020, 12:08 PM
Boyle certainly had good attributes when he first arrived but his final product was a bit of a let down and you could see he was on his way out under Stubbs. Everything changed under Lennon (not sure if he got better coaching or just decided to work really hard after missing out on the starting 11 in the cup final and the off the field stuff) and Boyle just got better and better as a player.

I always quite liked Boyle. In his second season under Stubbs he scored just short of 1 in 4.

I always recall most folk thinking he was a pretty decent player but then maybe I’m just presuming everyone thought as I did :greengrin shows we all see things differently!

He definitely kicked on the season after the cup win though :agree:

J-C
19-12-2020, 01:45 PM
You’re right. I don’t think Boyle was particularly convincing under Stubbs and without being ersed digging up old threads, we weren’t all clamouring for him to get signed up.

The transformation took place under Lennon. Like you, I’m not all that sure about the why’s and how’s, but I now see Boyle as one of the most improved players at Hibs in recent decades. He’s become a very good winger and a huge player for us.

He was a fringe player under Stubbs, was on the bench in 2016 and never got on but drank his way through Leith for 4 days afterwards as if he did play. :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
19-12-2020, 03:27 PM
25 past 4 and Hibs are playing, and guess what the OP hasn't been on Hibs.net for 24 hours :confused::rolleyes:

PaulSmith
19-12-2020, 04:02 PM
Drey Wright wasn’t the reason Hibs didn’t win today but he contributed nothing but giving away possession.

A Hi-Bee
19-12-2020, 04:23 PM
Drey Wright wasn’t the reason Hibs didn’t win today but he contributed nothing but giving away possession.

I cannie make ma mind up if he reminds me of Graham Fyyfe or Ali Scott, just hope he can prove most of his critics like me wrong.

Bostonhibby
19-12-2020, 04:25 PM
I cannie make ma mind up if he reminds me of Graham Fyyfe or Ali Scott, just hope he can prove most of his critics like me wrong.Bloody hell, Graham Fyfe and Ally Scott. The brown icing on a particularly mouldy cake of a day.

My psychiatrist has to re-hypnotise me every time their name appears.

Kinross Hibee
19-12-2020, 05:12 PM
25 past 4 and Hibs are playing, and guess what the OP hasn't been on Hibs.net for 24 hours :confused::rolleyes:

Think you may fancy me? Is that correct? You seem to be very obsessed with me over several threads!

Suppose, you're correct yet again, Wright made all the difference today! 😴

Ronniekirk
19-12-2020, 05:18 PM
The longer we kept missing and keeper Saving the more you wondered if we would concede late
Think wrong subs and how we can’t coach team to just play triangles and keep possession towards the end is beyond Me
Thier wide player fir goal wasn’t properly closed down ,so easy cross We seem to then switch off
Only gutted as we put so much into game and should of won
But home form is a concern and st Mirren next who are form team , unbeaten since 2nd October and who have scored six in last two games
They won’t be short on confidence

calumhibee1
19-12-2020, 05:51 PM

Hard to argue with that. 25 mins on the pitch and done nothing of note. Something which you could have quite safely predicted before he came on.

Not good enough.

FilipinoHibs
20-12-2020, 06:01 AM
Hard to argue with that. 25 mins on the pitch and done nothing of note. Something which you could have quite safely predicted before he came on.

Not good enough.

Substitutions were a disaster and the root of a point dropped

bigwheel
20-12-2020, 06:42 AM

That’s a pretty dramatic view. One chance taken or Newell not connecting with the ball and we win...neither of the subs make any difference to that

Nicho87
20-12-2020, 07:48 AM
After countless misses Ross should have twisted an brought on mcgregor or gray for doidge. Easy to say now I guess. But what a result. Hibs all over

WhileTheChief..
20-12-2020, 09:08 AM

This is my biggest gripe about Jack Ross.

Too often it’s the subs he makes that changes things and we go on to drop points.

Bostonhibby
20-12-2020, 09:17 AM
This is my biggest gripe about Jack Ross.

Too often it’s the subs he makes that changes things and we go on to drop points.Yep, I did think at the time it felt like another one where we seem to turn attack into defence at the wrong time.

I'm a big fan of Ross, he was the manager I wanted and he's doing a great job so I reckon he had a game management plan but lost the goal anyway hence his anger at the end.

Onward and upward.

WhileTheChief..
20-12-2020, 09:22 AM
I'm a big fan of Ross, he was the manager I wanted and he's doing a great job so I reckon he had a game management plan but lost the goal anyway hence his anger at the end.

Onward and upward.

Yup, Stubbs, Lennon and now Ross have all talked about us needing to have better ‘game intelligence’.

Yesterday was a prime example of that. We’ve all been seeing, and saying, for years that we need to close games out from a winning position but inevitably it’s an individual error that leads to the goal that turns a win into a draw.

Id have been furious if I was Ross yesterday.

we are hibs
23-12-2020, 07:12 PM
Better tonight. Didnt do anything outstanding but an improvement on Saturday. More willing to get on the ball tonight.

kaimendhibs
23-12-2020, 07:21 PM
Was decent enough when he came on. Xan see a player there and pretty sure he will come good

jacomo
23-12-2020, 07:33 PM
Yup, Stubbs, Lennon and now Ross have all talked about us needing to have better ‘game intelligence’.

Yesterday was a prime example of that. We’ve all been seeing, and saying, for years that we need to close games out from a winning position but inevitably it’s an individual error that leads to the goal that turns a win into a draw.

Id have been furious if I was Ross yesterday.

Well we did it tonight I guess but not without a few last minute nerves.

Scoring more goals would help.

Billy Whizz
23-12-2020, 07:34 PM
Thought he did well tonight, looked more confident on the ball

ancient hibee
23-12-2020, 07:35 PM
Thought Wright was ok. Stevenson played better after the switch.

Robbo6-2
23-12-2020, 07:37 PM
He was ok when he came on. Couple of nice passes inside but he doesny do enough for me as a wide player.

Very poor finish on his left side that should of put the game to bed.

I was never Horgans biggest fan but would have him before Wright all day long.

inglisavhibs
23-12-2020, 08:00 PM
He was ok when he came on. Couple of nice passes inside but he doesny do enough for me as a wide player.

Very poor finish on his left side that should of put the game to bed.

I was never Horgans biggest fan but would have him before Wright all day long.
Horgan was decent going forward but a man short as soon as the other team got the ball.

Northernhibee
23-12-2020, 08:02 PM
He was better than just OK today - he was good. Tracked back well, helped out Stevenson, played some nice neat and tidy passes and movement was good.

Pretty Boy
23-12-2020, 08:02 PM
Wright done well tonight. There were a couple of passes that were inches away from being something special. He needs a few of those to go his way to start winning people round.

Vault Boy
23-12-2020, 08:04 PM
Said it on the match thread, but I think he might be better suited to a deeper role, WB or FB. Looks more comfortable in doing the dirty work and operating with more of the pitch ahead of him IMO.

Put it in a good shift this evening.

Northernhibee
23-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Said it on the match thread, but I think he might be better suited to a deeper role, WB or FB. Looks more comfortable in doing the dirty work and operating with more of the pitch ahead of him IMO.

Think it's also a reason why Stevenson was excellent in the second half - Horgan often left him out to dry when it came to the defensive side of things. Wright was good off the ball and tracking back which meant that we offered little spare change down that side.

Bobby's Cinema
23-12-2020, 08:09 PM

I tend to agree with this. He has done good work tracking back and to me he has a decent eye for a pass also, last few games he has played alot of nice balls into central areas.

If the expectation is (as some seem to hold him to) that he is supposed to imitate Boyle down the other side and taking people on getting to the by-line, I'm not sure this matches his game either from what I've seen.

He has made a decent enough contribution to the squad this season.

Since452
23-12-2020, 08:09 PM
Well done tonight Drey

Andy74
23-12-2020, 08:14 PM
Played well. He’s quite disciplined for a wide player and possibly might get a bit more credit if he was showing a bit more flair in attacking areas. Has a nice touch and think he is capable of it.

B.H.F.C
23-12-2020, 08:15 PM
Wright done well tonight. There were a couple of passes that were inches away from being something special. He needs a few of those to go his way to start winning people round.

It would have been incredibly lucky, but should have had an assist tonight but for Nisbet missing an absolute sitter.

I thought he did all right tonight but, equally, we were pretty poor going forward in the second half and he’s obviously part of that.

eastterrace
23-12-2020, 08:53 PM
I must watched a different game from what you lot was watching as dray or drew offered nothing more than say Jamie gullan could offer. I just don’t see what he brings to the table . He creates nothing and it’s like playing with a man down. The guy came with a big reputation but I just can’t see it. Also great 3 points but it was brutal to watch.

Northernhibee
23-12-2020, 08:56 PM
I must watched a different game from what you lot was watching as dray or drew offered nothing more than say Jamie gullan could offer.

There were a few times when he was able to break down an opposition attack or to keep possession when the ball was cleared out from the St Mirren penalty area and keep the attack on. He also had some very neat passing today.

He creates nothing and it’s like playing with a man down.

If it wasn't for Nisbet missing a sitter he'd have had an assist.

I just don’t see what he brings to the table .

I don't really think you're looking that hard.

Robbo6-2
23-12-2020, 08:59 PM
Nisbet was offside

Andy74
23-12-2020, 09:01 PM
Nisbet was offside

He wasn’t.

eastterrace
23-12-2020, 09:02 PM
There were a few times when he was able to break down an opposition attack or to keep possession when the ball was cleared out from the St Mirren penalty area and keep the attack on. He also had some very neat passing today.

If it wasn't for Nisbet missing a sitter he'd have had an assist.

I don't really think you're looking that hard.im looking hard alright but I just can’t seem to see what you see. Also was the assist not called offside when Nisbet hit the side net.

Northernhibee
23-12-2020, 09:06 PM
im looking hard alright but I just can’t seem to see what you see. Also was the assist not called offside when Nisbet hit the side net.

The linesman signalled for a goal kick and Nisbet was well onside.

The things I mentioned happened in the game so it'd be worth watching the replay of the game on Hibs TV tomorrow.

truehibernian
23-12-2020, 09:09 PM
Thought he did really well tonight, particularly defensively and limiting their full back when they broke. Broke up play, was strong in the tackle, neat passing when it came to it. Good 45 minutes from Drey tonight :aok:

Unseen work
23-12-2020, 09:09 PM
Where I’m at with Drey Wright is overall he’s not impressed me too much out with his movement and occasional good cross.

Im at the stage where I’m wanting him to do well for us that I’m classing him as keeping possession and chucking in the odd cross as decent which shouldn’t be the case.

Hes played a fair few games for us but how many times have we seen him give the opposing defender a real tough game, beat his man consistently or just being a real threat? Very few.

How I view players is do I have doubts about if they’re good enough, if I do they’re generally not. I’m not meaning that as in my opinion is the only one that counts and I know no wrong. More that the good players I’ve seen play for Hibs there’s been no doubt in my mind and they show consistent glimpses of quality. Even if they’re not consistent or only show it in stages, you know there’s something there. I’m quite patient with players and try to see the best in them and give them the benefit of the doubt but I can’t think of very few things he’s done to really convince me.

Im just not getting it with Wright right now. He seems a winger that’s decent defensively but not the best going forward, although it’s handy to have wingers will always be assessed based on what they do in the final third.

Would love to be proven wrong but I can’t see him winning over the support and being a regular starter.

The 90+2
23-12-2020, 09:12 PM
I must watched a different game from what you lot was watching as dray or drew offered nothing more than say Jamie gullan could offer. I just don’t see what he brings to the table . He creates nothing and it’s like playing with a man down. The guy came with a big reputation but I just can’t see it. Also great 3 points but it was brutal to watch.

I think people are mixing up playing well with playing better.

BSEJVT
23-12-2020, 09:12 PM

Looks like you were

The sclaffed shot aside I don’t think we could have asked for any more from Wright tonight.

It’s very easy to see a bandwagon and jump on it, but far harder to give credit where it’s due.

I am yet to be convinced Wright can nail down a starting spot at Hibs but he can contribute and would find it easier to do so if folk gave him a bit of space to find his way.

It’s a saving grace for him that there are no fans at games just now or the die would be cast.

Some folk still can’t bring themselves to give Newall credit and can’t wait for a quiet performance from him so they can give him stick again

Newall is a far better player and far stronger player than many give him credit for being.

Mr. Wonderful
23-12-2020, 09:21 PM
He's a great defensive wide midfielder. The daz of wingers

calumhibee1
23-12-2020, 09:21 PM
I think people are mixing up playing well with playing better.

Yup. We’re now at the point where a couple of neat passes and an ‘assist’ that didn’t even end up with a goal are highlights.

He didn’t do badly as such tonight but imo it’s an absolutely huge stretch to claim he done well. He’s a winger who offers very little attacking threat.

B.H.F.C
23-12-2020, 09:23 PM
Nisbet was offside

Tam McManus said the linesman flagged. He did, but for a goal kick. Nisbet was miles on. Bad miss.

easty
23-12-2020, 09:27 PM

A big reputation?

When we signed him I couldn’t think of actually having seen him do anything decent in his time at St Johnstone. Other than reading Tommy Wright say he was his best signing, or something like that, I don’t think he came to us with any kind of reputation at all.

kaimendhibs
23-12-2020, 09:28 PM
Tam McManus said the linesman flagged. He did, but for a goal kick. Nisbet was miles on. Bad miss.What about his goal?

jacomo
23-12-2020, 09:28 PM
Where I’m at with Drey Wright is overall he’s not impressed me too much out with his movement and occasional good cross.

Im at the stage where I’m wanting him to do well for us that I’m classing him as keeping possession and chucking in the odd cross as decent which shouldn’t be the case.

Hes played a fair few games for us but how many times have we seen him give the opposing defender a real tough game, beat his man consistently or just being a real threat? Very few.

How I view players is do I have doubts about if they’re good enough, if I do they’re generally not. I’m not meaning that as in my opinion is the only one that counts and I know no wrong. More that the good players I’ve seen play for Hibs there’s been no doubt in my mind and they show consistent glimpses of quality. Even if they’re not consistent or only show it in stages, you know there’s something there. I’m quite patient with players and try to see the best in them and give them the benefit of the doubt but I can’t think of very few things he’s done to really convince me.

Im just not getting it with Wright right now. He seems a winger that’s decent defensively but not the best going forward, although it’s handy to have wingers will always be assessed based on what they do in the final third.

Would love to be proven wrong but I can’t see him winning over the support and being a regular starter.

We literally had this with Doidge and Newell a year ago.

Chill the f*** out and quit grumbling. Drey Wright might turn out to be a good player for us, he may not, but frankly a lot of this chat is very tedious.

Unseen work
23-12-2020, 09:37 PM
We literally had this with Doidge and Newell a year ago.

Chill the f*** out and quit grumbling. Drey Wright might turn out to be a good player for us, he may not, but frankly a lot of this chat is very tedious.

Perfectly chilled thanks.

Like I say I’m normally patient and give them the benefit of the doubt as I did with Newell and Doidge last season. But like I said even though Doidge wasn’t scoring I saw enough in his performances to give me hope, his all round play was good and he always seemed to be in the right position. Even with Newell he was frustrating but you could tell he wasn’t a winger, but technically you could tell he was a good player and he still had some decent displays for us where everyone recognised he had ability.

I thought he was good the couple of times I saw him at St Johnstone but every time there he played on the right.

JimBHibees
23-12-2020, 09:40 PM
Looks like you were

The sclaffed shot aside I don’t think we could have asked for any more from Wright tonight.

It’s very easy to see a bandwagon and jump on it, but far harder to give credit where it’s due.

I am yet to be convinced Wright can nail down a starting spot at Hibs but he can contribute and would find it easier to do so if folk gave him a bit of space to find his way.

It’s a saving grace for him that there are no fans at games just now or the die would be cast.

Some folk still can’t bring themselves to give Newall credit and can’t wait for a quiet performance from him so they can give him stick again

Newall is a far better player and far stronger player than many give him credit for being.

Newell is a genuinely superb player was excellent tonight

B.H.F.C
23-12-2020, 09:54 PM
What about his goal?

Aye that was quality, obviously.

tamig
23-12-2020, 11:04 PM
Tam McManus said the linesman flagged. He did, but for a goal kick. Nisbet was miles on. Bad miss.

Exactly. I was surprised at McManus with that one. And he repeated it a few more times without ever correcting himself.

Prof. Shaggy
23-12-2020, 11:19 PM

I thought he was good the couple of times I saw him at St Johnstone but every time there he played on the right.

That's what I thought.

number9dream
24-12-2020, 12:09 AM
Was Wright brought in as an insurance signing when it looked like Boyle might move on? He's not really had a look in wide on the right which is presumably the role he knows best.
He looked a bit lost in the central attacking midfield position, even though he did score against Rangers.
Wide left looks like a problem area for us when Murphy is unavailable and he has done okay there a couple of times.
I'm a bit worried about our left flank for Boxing Day if it's going to be Wright and Stevenson trying to stop Tavernier but our options are pretty limited.

Moulin Yarns
24-12-2020, 08:09 AM
Think you may fancy me? Is that correct? You seem to be very obsessed with me over several threads!

Suppose, you're correct yet again, Wright made all the difference today! 😴

In an obsessive kind of way, I notice you have thankfully disappeared from the forums since you posted this, which is a pity as it would be interesting to hear your views on how well Wright played last night. :wink:

Smartie
24-12-2020, 08:21 AM
Irrespective of aspects of his individual performances which some people don’t like, he’s been playing decent chunks of games in a team that’s winning. That doesn’t normally happen carrying passengers.

Even if it’s just the fact that he’s bolstered his side defensively, if we’ve got players elsewhere in the team who can nick goals, if augurs well for us that we can close games out.

I’m fairly neutral about him. I don’t see a world beater, I don’t see someone not fit to wear the jersey. I see someone carrying out a job in a winning team, and tbh that’ll do me quite nicely.

calumhibee1
24-12-2020, 08:28 AM

Like I say I’m normally patient and give them the benefit of the doubt as I did with Newell and Doidge last season. But like I said even though Doidge wasn’t scoring I saw enough in his performances to give me hope, his all round play was good and he always seemed to be in the right position. Even with Newell he was frustrating but you could tell he wasn’t a winger, but technically you could tell he was a good player and he still had some decent displays for us where everyone recognised he had ability.

Wrights performances are nothing like Doidge’s from last season.

There was plenty to see in Doidge’s play what he brings. He was never going to carry on missing sitter after sitter and there was clearly a bit of hope. He was always involved in games.

That’s really not been evident with Wright imo. The fact people are so desperate to praise one of our attacking players in one of his better performances but the only praise we can find is along the lines of ‘he worked hard and played a couple of neat passes’ says a lot imo.

He just has next to no impact on the game. It’s like a new version of your username funnily enough - but this time he’s doing his unseen work from a more attacking position.

Billy Whizz
24-12-2020, 09:08 AM
Think he’ll start at Ibrox

Smartie
24-12-2020, 09:10 AM

Wrights performances are nothing like Doidge’s from last season.

There was plenty to see in Doidge’s play what he brings. He was never going to carry on missing sitter after sitter and there was clearly a bit of hope. He was always involved in games.

That’s really not been evident with Wright imo. The fact people are so desperate to praise one of our attacking players in one of his better performances but the only praise we can find is along the lines of ‘he worked hard and played a couple of neat passes’ says a lot imo.

He just has next to no impact on the game. It’s like a new version of your username funnily enough - but this time he’s doing his unseen work from a more attacking position.

Keeping possession and helping your fullback are big parts of the game when you’re defending a lead.

He would certainly be having an impact on the game if he was repeatedly giving the ball away and leaving the fullback exposed - but not in a good way.

Keith_M
24-12-2020, 09:13 AM
I consider myself as having a fairly positive viewpoint but I don't really see it with Wright.

Maybe his horrendous attempt at a shot at goal is colouring my opinion but I'm not convinced from what I've seen so far. But then I'm not Jack Ross, so what do I know...

calumhibee1
24-12-2020, 09:14 AM
He would certainly be having an impact on the game if he was repeatedly giving the ball away and leaving the fullback exposed - but not in a good way.

Of course. I thought it was obvious I meant he doesn’t impact the game much in a positive way though and I wasn’t looking for him to impact it in a negative way.

Smartie
24-12-2020, 09:21 AM
Of course. I thought it was obvious I meant he doesn’t impact the game much in a positive way though and I wasn’t looking for him to impact it in a negative way.

Fair enough, and I accept he hasn’t had a big enough impact going forward.

superfurryhibby
24-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Keeping possession and helping your fullback are big parts of the game when you’re defending a lead.

You’re wasting your time. The folk who revel in negativity and who are noticeably absent from any positive discussion, they aren’t interested in such obvious points.

I watched Wright carefully last night. He was never lacking when it came to doing this part of the job. He supported his full back well, was always on hand to close down crosses and generally worked hard. He rarely gave the ball away and managed to link up with the guys in front of him too. It was unspectacular, but it was a decent contribution to a hard fought victory last night.

It’s a squad game. The guys who who have come into the team, like Hallberg and Wright, are doing just fine.

calumhibee1
24-12-2020, 09:32 AM
You’re wasting your time. The folk who revel in negativity and who are noticeably absent from any positive discussion, they aren’t interested in such obvious points.

I watched Wright carefully last night. He was never lacking when it came to doing this part of the job. He supported his full back well, was always on hand to close down crosses and generally worked hard. He rarely gave the ball away and managed to link up with the guys in front of him too. It was unspectacular, but it was a decent contribution to a hard fought victory last night.

It’s a squad game. The guys who who have come into the team, like Hallberg and Wright, are doing just fine.

:faf:

I’m part of plenty positive discussions - a quick look at my posts would show that.

Still though, superfurryhibby watched Drey Wright closely last night and was satisfied so we’ll just close the thread. No need for further opinions.

eastterrace
24-12-2020, 09:38 AM

It’s a squad game. The guys who who have come into the team, like Hallberg and Wright, are doing just fine.how is it negativity making a comment on Wright not creating anything other than a miss hit shot that went to Nisbet for an assist. Why not give Jamie gullan a go he could probably do what Wright does and maybe be a tad better at having a pop a goal.

BSEJVT
24-12-2020, 09:49 AM
how is it negativity making a comment on Wright not creating anything other than a miss hit shot that went to Nisbet for an assist. Why not give Jamie gullan a go he could probably do what Wright does and maybe be a tad better at having a pop a goal.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest in Gullan's last few appearances that he would do better.

That's not a criticism of the laddie, more a comment on the fact that it is incredibly difficult to influence a game with sporadic appearances here and there.

Quite apart from the fact that you are not match fit, you are not match sharp, when you add that to the fact that the manager doesn't fancy you enough to start you every week you are hard up against it, try too hard and try too much to make an impact.

Gullan's last few games have shown the same horrendous touches that Wright also exhibits.

Gullan looks to be getting worse game by game and having less influence and more miss controls

Having been in that position at a far far lower level many years ago it is soul destroying and completely saps your confidence.

I actually think Gullan has many attributes but this isn't helping him at all, he needs to be playing week in week out and for that reason truly hope we sign someone in the window and get him out on loan.

Eyrie
24-12-2020, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't be comfortable with Wright as a regular starter for us, but as a back up then he's reasonable since he won't be on a big wage having come from St Johnstone.

I'd also start him in place of Doidge at Ibrox because Wright is willing to do the hard graft to protect his full back and we'll need that. It also allows Magennis to play more centrally.

superfurryhibby
24-12-2020, 10:42 AM

I’m part of plenty positive discussions - a quick look at my posts would show that.

Still though, superfurryhibby watched Drey Wright closely last night and was satisfied so we’ll just close the thread. No need for further opinions.

Aye, you’re all over the place with your positive posts right enough.

More made up stuff from yourself, the man who actually invents statistics to support their nonsense.

Close the thread:confused: is that the best you can manage:cb

HoboHarry
24-12-2020, 11:12 AM

Daft comments like that really don't help your case.

FilipinoHibs
24-12-2020, 11:32 AM
I am in the played better than played well. Solid without setting the game on fire. The miss hit shot that end up as a pass to Kevin was the work of a lower league player which were he came from before going to Saint Jonstone. Think we have been sold a pup.

calumhibee1
24-12-2020, 12:48 PM
Daft comments like that really don't help your case.

Declaring everyone else’s opinion as being not worthy of discussion because you watched someone real super close and came to a different conclusion definitely do little to help anyone’s case either.

It does show off superfurryhibbys superb levels of self importance though.

Centre Hawf
24-12-2020, 12:51 PM
Wright doesn't look a bad player, he doesn't really do a lot wrong but then I don't really feel he does a lot in general. He works hard and I'm sure someone who likes to do a deep dive into this sort of stuff will explain how he's very good positionally, keeping shape, tracking runners etc. If that's what he's here to do in Jack Ross' eyes and it helps us get results then who am I to criticise on that?

But what I will say is the guy doesn't really look like a winger to me, he doesn't take men on or deliver killer balls. His shooting has been put on display often and when it has he hasn't really threatened anyone.

I hope he finds his way because I don't see a player who is just happy to be here, I see someone who looks a little bit lost and maybe void of some confidence because he maybe hasn't hit the ground running. But he's got to take the game by the scruff of the neck one day soon and give a full back a real torrid time.

superfurryhibby
24-12-2020, 01:57 PM
Declaring everyone else’s opinion as being not worthy of discussion because you watched someone real super close and came to a different conclusion definitely do little to help anyone’s case either.

More making up stuff.

First you say I should give up football forums if I don’t like people who disagree with me ( the lack of awareness of the irony of that comment is quite funny really).

Next I’m not allowed to say I paid particular attention to a Hibs players efforts when he came on the field. By doing so that somehow means everyone else’s opinion is worthless :confused:

That says more about you when it comes to self importance than it does me.

Don’t think we don’t notice your absence on here after a good result though, that’s what makes you so funny:aok:

JimBHibees
24-12-2020, 03:05 PM
Wright doesn't look a bad player, he doesn't really do a lot wrong but then I don't really feel he does a lot in general. He works hard and I'm sure someone who likes to do a deep dive into this sort of stuff will explain how he's very good positionally, keeping shape, tracking runners etc. If that's what he's here to do in Jack Ross' eyes and it helps us get results then who am I to criticise on that?

But what I will say is the guy doesn't really look like a winger to me, he doesn't take men on or deliver killer balls. His shooting has been put on display often and when it has he hasn't really threatened anyone.

I hope he finds his way because I don't see a player who is just happy to be here, I see someone who looks a little bit lost and maybe void of some confidence because he maybe hasn't hit the ground running. But he's got to take the game by the scruff of the neck one day soon and give a full back a real torrid time.

Put a killer ball on Doidges head at Hamilton

calumhibee1
24-12-2020, 03:45 PM
More making up stuff.

First you say I should give up football forums if I don’t like people who disagree with me ( the lack of awareness of the irony of that comment is quite funny really).

Next I’m not allowed to say I paid particular attention to a Hibs players efforts when he came on the field. By doing so that somehow means everyone else’s opinion is worthless :confused:

That says more about you when it comes to self importance than it does me.

Don’t think we don’t notice your absence on here after a good result though, that’s what makes you so funny:aok:

Telling people that debating a point that you don’t agree with is a waste of time ✅

Follow up with telling folk you watched real close and delivering your opinion as fact - hence why it’s of course pointless anyone else discussing any different point of opinion, because this is what you seen after your forensic watching of the game ✅

Claiming that I’m absent from posting when we do well which a quick look at my post history would easily disprove ✅

You’ve done some job of taking your self importance to an even higher level.

Centre Hawf
24-12-2020, 03:54 PM
Put a killer ball on Doidges head at Hamilton

1 killer ball in 12 league games. Shows it could be done, but he just doesn't do it enough.

JimBHibees
24-12-2020, 04:23 PM
1 killer ball in 12 league games. Shows it could be done, but he just doesn't do it enough.

He hasn't really played much also put a killer ball into the Rangers net previously. Actually think he will come good with us.

calumhibee1
24-12-2020, 04:37 PM
He hasn't really played much also put a killer ball into the Rangers net previously. Actually think he will come good with us.

He’s made 17 appearances. Fair enough some of them have been on the bench but he’s been involved more than enough to have shown more than he has imo.

basehibby
24-12-2020, 04:45 PM
Without being a disaster Drey has a lot of work to do to convince the Hibees massive that he is worthy of persisting with. I suppose he has been solid rather than spectacular on the outings he has had - a good goal and assist being balanced against an occasional mi**** or loss of control with the majority of his play being characterised by retaining posession rather than threatening the opposition.

There is lots of room for improvement and with half a season under his belt I hope he grabs the opportunities afforded to him to impress going forward.

jacomo
24-12-2020, 04:49 PM

It’s Christmas time, so peace and goodwill to all, but please: enough of this.

Super furry said he paid particular attention to DW (well, as much as is possible watching on tv I guess) and shared his opinions based on his observations.

It’s a point of view. I think it’s a valid one. It doesn’t deserve this level of snark.

HoboHarry
24-12-2020, 04:55 PM

Super furry said he paid particular attention to DW (well, as much as is possible watching on tv I guess) and shared his opinions based on his observations.

It’s a point of view. I think it’s a valid one. It doesn’t deserve this level of snark.
Well said mate. :agree:

calumhibee1
24-12-2020, 04:57 PM

Absolutely, theyre entitled to their opinion. However we’re all entitled to that.

But when you decide you don’t agree with someone else’s point of view, so you then go on to try and tell other posters not to even discuss a differing opinion and then go on to tell everyone your point of view then that is absolutely a severe case of self importance.

Centre Hawf
24-12-2020, 05:15 PM

He's played a fair chunk of games. 1 goal and 1 assist so far isn't enough for me especially considering I don't think he ever really looks like he can score or set anyone up around those moments. I'm not trying to sit and bash the guy because I hope he'll show us more and become a success and I don't think he's been a stinking player by any means.

But I don't think you can sit and say because he put one good cross on to Doidge's head and scored 1 goal against Rangers in half a season that he's somehow put in consistent dangerous crosses or tested the keeper/got into goal scoring chances.

A lot still to do for me.

Vault Boy
24-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Need to make this thread more festive.

Sleigh Wright? Maybe Dreidel Wright? Needs some work.

Moulin Yarns
24-12-2020, 09:02 PM
Need to make this thread more festive.

Sleigh Wright? Maybe Dreidel Wright? Needs some work.

Drey bells ring, are you listening🤔😁

Eyrie
24-12-2020, 10:09 PM
I'm dreaming of a Wright Christmas?

HoboHarry
24-12-2020, 10:13 PM
I'm dreaming of a Wright Christmas?

I'm Dreyming of a Wright Christmas....

FTFY......

Eyrie
24-12-2020, 10:16 PM

FTFY......

:not worth

GreenCastle
24-12-2020, 11:09 PM

FTFY......

Under rated post.

On a more serious note him playing on the right may make more sense why he’s less effective on the left. He’s right footed also as far as I’m aware.

Vault Boy
25-12-2020, 06:37 AM

FTFY......

Outstanding 👏

The 90+2
25-12-2020, 08:47 AM

FTFY......

Stay another Drey 👌 everything’s going to be all Wright.

Keith_M
25-12-2020, 09:12 AM
If he ends up half as good as his uncle Ian, we should be fine.

J-C
25-12-2020, 09:18 AM
If he ends up half as good as his uncle Ian, we should be fine.

Or his cousin Keith.

The 90+2
25-12-2020, 09:20 AM
Or his cousin Keith.

His uncle was that guy who (wrongly) exposed John Leslie.

Since452
25-12-2020, 09:35 AM
His uncle was that guy who (wrongly) exposed John Leslie.

Ulrik Laursen?

Peevemor
25-12-2020, 09:57 AM
If he ends up half as good as his uncle Ian, we should be fine.I think that Ian Wright (his Dad's cousin) is Drey's first cousin, once removed.

J-C
25-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Ulrik Laursen?

Henrik

The 90+2
25-12-2020, 10:34 AM
Ulrik Laursen?

Eureaka 👍

theonlywayisup
26-12-2020, 07:32 AM
I predict that he'll do well this afternoon, his main job will be all about stopping Tavenier.

Jdawg
26-12-2020, 09:01 AM
I think there is a player in there. He has shown it in flashes. As Mr Miyagi said, Drey your best football still inside you. Now time let out.

Moulin Yarns
26-12-2020, 09:24 AM
2nd half substitute, 30 minutes to go, score a hattrick. 😉

Eyrie
26-12-2020, 10:37 AM
2nd half substitute, 30 minutes to go, score a hattrick. ��

"What's he going to do that I couldn't?"

Vault Boy
26-12-2020, 10:45 AM
Hopefully he does the business against them again today.

Kinross Hibee
26-12-2020, 07:56 PM
Another 4/10 performance today for me, not nearly good enough.

Smartie
26-12-2020, 08:00 PM
I thought he did fine.

No less than 6/10, either that or 7 I’d say.

Did little wrong, kept discipline, helped keep some creative players quiet.

Would maybe have liked to have seen more of him going forward but tbh I can’t think of many examples where I’d have been looking for more than what we got.

Iggy Pope
26-12-2020, 08:02 PM
I thought he did fine.

Would maybe have liked to have seen more of him going forward but tbh I can’t think of many examples where I’d have been looking for more than what we got.

There was 8 pages of this mind......

calumhibee1
26-12-2020, 08:05 PM
I thought he did fine.

Yup, he done alright today and was solid enough. Contributed to a good team performance.

Definitely needs to offer more going forward though.

Big_Franck
26-12-2020, 08:06 PM
I thought he did fine.

I agree. I thought he did OK today, he put in a real shift off the ball and his use of the ball in possession was fine. Barisic was barely a threat and Drey played a big part in nullifying him. I think he'll start again against Ross County.

hfc-1875
26-12-2020, 08:06 PM
Wasn’t up to much today and needs to offer a lot more. Not good enough for where we want to be IMO

Pretty Boy
26-12-2020, 08:08 PM
I said on the match day thread he done the dirty side of the game well today. Didn't offer a lot going forward but they didn't have a lot of success down his side and that's at least in part down to the defensive effort he put in.

A solid enough performance, probably one that would have attracted very little comment had it been A N Other who put it in.

Robbo6-2
26-12-2020, 08:14 PM
There is no doubt he works his socks off.

I just think he looks like he is lacking abit confidence. Really think he will struggle even more when the crowds are back.

He reminds me of Alex Harris. Decent ability but just lacking something.

Jones28
26-12-2020, 08:26 PM

Jesus that’s really harsh, nobody on the pitch was even a 5. 6/10 for me.

FilipinoHibs
26-12-2020, 08:32 PM
Looking leaner and fitter. Solid defensively. Did not waste the ball and one good offensive run late in his game. 6.5/10 for me.

B.H.F.C
26-12-2020, 08:39 PM
Nobody can deny he did well enough defensively today.

I just think he very even tries to be positive. He ran at them once today, put a cross in and we got a corner. He actually looked relatively quick when he went for that run. For me, he just doesn’t really look like he wants to do that and is content just to pass the ball inside to whoever is there.

MrRobot
26-12-2020, 08:48 PM
I thought he did fine.

agree with this, did OK but nothing spectacular. Drey is nowhere near as bad as people seem to like to make out he is.

Irish_Steve
26-12-2020, 09:05 PM
I always try my best to support any player and I really hope Drey comes good. He didn't have a bad game today but equally, he didn't have a good one. Broke up play on a good few occasions and also provided a good "out ball" as well. However, more than once, he passed the ball straight to a player in a blue shirt, sometimes alarmingly close to our own box.

Stick at it Drey

Brightside
26-12-2020, 09:07 PM

That’s just silly. And you do your argument no help coming out with stuff like this.

Moulin Yarns
26-12-2020, 09:08 PM

Welcome back. Now go away again with your incessant negativity against one of our players.

Wright was playing against the league leaders in a team that were denied at least a point because the referee didn't go to specsavers. Wright did nothing wrong today.

Kinross Hibee
26-12-2020, 09:18 PM
Welcome back. Now go away again with your incessant negativity against one of our players.

Wright was playing against the league leaders in a team that were denied at least a point because the referee didn't go to specsavers. Wright did nothing wrong today.

🤣 Knew my comment would draw a Drey Wright appreciation team post from Mrs Yarns 🙂

The 90+2
26-12-2020, 09:23 PM
Thought he was better than he has been today. I would actually like to see him given a run on the right with Boyle through the middle.

J-C
26-12-2020, 09:46 PM
Drey played out of position to help the team, he was solid enough and did what was needed.

Centre Hawf
26-12-2020, 10:10 PM
Game like today are hard games to judge people on. Especially with him playing wing back. I felt he was okay without being that good or particularly woeful. He put a shift in and got forward when he could and helped defend and keep our shape. Did what he was asked.

Onceinawhile
26-12-2020, 10:11 PM
9 games out of 10 you could put me in and the team performance wouldn't suffer.

tamig
26-12-2020, 10:35 PM
🤣 Knew my comment would draw a Drey Wright appreciation team post from Mrs Yarns 🙂

Its not really surprising you were the first person to dredge up this thread again after the game. What is your gripe with the guy? You do seem to be on a bit of a mission.

Edit - and I mean with Drey not MY.

JimBHibees
26-12-2020, 10:55 PM
Game like today are hard games to judge people on. Especially with him playing wing back. I felt he was okay without being that good or particularly woeful. He put a shift in and got forward when he could and helped defend and keep our shape. Did what he was asked.

Agree thought he was fine.

CMurdoch
26-12-2020, 11:18 PM
Had a job to do and did it. 7 out of 10.
Do some folk on here think they know more than our manager who sees Wright play the same matches we do and on that basis continues to pick him.
Petty and uninformed.

Inconsequential
26-12-2020, 11:29 PM
Has anyone ever considered that Drey Wright is playing to the manager's instructions? Jack Ross must be happy enough with his performances or he wouldn't be selected. Just a thought.

calumhibee1
27-12-2020, 07:32 AM
Do some folk on here think they know more than our manager who sees Wright play the same matches we do and on that basis continues to pick him.
Petty and uninformed.

Just because the manager picks him it doesn’t mean folk can’t have a different opinion surely..

There wouldn’t be much to discuss on here if we couldn’t discuss players, tactics, refereeing decisions etc because these people know better.

Brightside
27-12-2020, 08:10 AM
Has anyone ever considered that Drey Wright is playing to the manager's instructions? Jack Ross must be happy enough with his performances or he wouldn't be selected. Just a thought.

Of course he is. Luckily Jack knows a bit more than Frasers cousin from Kinross.

we are hibs
27-12-2020, 08:57 AM
Petty and uninformed.

Because no Hibs manager has ever got it wrong, right enough.

green day
27-12-2020, 09:13 AM
He was played in a specific role yesterday and - from what I saw - generally nullified the threat from Kent.

If he was utterly bereft of talent I doubt that JR would have given him such a key role.

Not had the most stratospheric of starts, but has been played all over the pitch and that utility is useful to us.

We need to remember that some good players take time to settle - perhaps we should dredge up the threads from a year ago telling us that Joe Newell was crap and we should punt him immediately........................:rolleyes::roll eyes:

calumhibee1
27-12-2020, 09:29 AM
We need to remember that some good players take time to settle - perhaps we should dredge up the threads from a year ago telling us that Joe Newell was crap and we should punt him immediately........................:rolleyes::roll eyes:

I don’t think anyone would disagree that players do sometimes need time to settle in. 9 times out of 10 though they don’t need much time to settle in at all so I don’t think people need to wait a year or so to form an opinion on every player we sign.

Brightside
27-12-2020, 09:44 AM
People shouldn’t be surprised. Jack made a point of mentioning how good he was defensively. Horses for courses.

GreenNWhiteArmy
27-12-2020, 09:45 AM
None of the players from a team rampaging through teams both domestically AND in Europe REALLY stood out or tore us apart:

But aye, let's have a go at one of our own players. Some people on here and on twitter really need to lay off the guy ffs

JimBHibees
27-12-2020, 09:47 AM
None of the players from a team rampaging through teams both domestically AND in Europe REALLY stood out or tore us apart:

But aye, let's have a go at one of our own players. Some people on here and on twitter really need to lay off the guy ffs

Absolutely any relentless criticism of the guy would be totally unfair and as has been said he is doing a job like yesterday where we nullified most of their threat out wide. Think he seems like a confidence player and think he is a very useful addition to the squad.

Winston Ingram
27-12-2020, 09:50 AM
He was always going to struggle here. He’s a right midfielder and that’s where Boyle plays so he’s almost always played out of position.

He’s one of the square pegs Ross plays at left midfield. He’s played up front, in the 10 position, left wing back, right wing back and centre midfield.

He’s unlikely to get a run in the team in position he’s comfortable in so I can’t really see his situation or form improving unless Boyle gets crocked.

hibsbollah
27-12-2020, 09:53 AM
9 times out of 10 though they don’t need much time to settle in.

This is highly debatable; I’d say it’s just as common for a player to fail to hit the ground running at a new club or making a breakthrough from the reserves as it is for them to be an immediate success :dunno: certainly not 9/10 times.

calumhibee1
27-12-2020, 09:54 AM
He was always going to struggle here. He’s a right midfielder and that’s where Boyle plays so he’s almost always played out of position.

He’s one of the square pegs Ross plays at left midfield. He’s played up front, in the 10 position, left wing back, right wing back and centre midfield.

He’s unlikely to get a run in the team in position he’s comfortable in so I can’t really see his situation or form improving unless Boyle gets crocked.

Where did he play for St Johnstone?

His performances at us so far have looked more like a full back being played out of position than a wide midfielder/winger. The fact the praise that people give him is based on keeping attacking players quite kind of adds to that.

Was he a winger there?

calumhibee1
27-12-2020, 09:57 AM
This is highly debatable; I’d say it’s just as common for a player to fail to hit the ground running at a new club or making a breakthrough from the reserves as it is for them to be an immediate success :dunno: certainly not 9/10 times.

If we’re talking about all players that a team signs then it’s not 9/10, I’d agree.

The post I replied to was talking about good players though and imo you don’t see good players taking half a season or so to settle in 50% of the time - I should have pointed out I was also talking about ‘good’ players in my post.

If someone is a good player they generally show it if not straight away then after a few games. I can’t think of many players I’ve seen at Hibs that I’d consider to have been good players that have needed half a season or so to find their feet. There’ll be some, but not too many.

Using yesterday’s starting 11 as an example I’d say:

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon
Doig

Gogic
Nisbet

Possibly Boyle to an extent as well all ‘hit the ground running’ to varying degrees when starting their Hibs first team careers

That leaves Hallberg, Wright and Newell who struggled and out of they 3 I fancy that Newell will be the only one I’ll look back on as a particularly good player