PDA

View Full Version : NHC Morton in trouble

Radium
17-12-2020, 04:17 PM
https://twitter.com/pieandbov/status/1339614747147296770?s=21

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/18948883.david-hopkin-paid-morton-players-wages-pocket/

David Hopkins had been paying players expenses and bringing food to keep things ticking over.

Is it still the guys who were around about Rangers that are running the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
17-12-2020, 04:24 PM
https://twitter.com/pieandbov/status/1339614747147296770?s=21

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/18948883.david-hopkin-paid-morton-players-wages-pocket/

David Hopkins had been paying players expenses and bringing food to keep things ticking over.

Is it still the guys who were around about Rangers that are running the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the owners are the Rae family, who own a sweets company

oneone73
17-12-2020, 04:35 PM
Signed.

where'stheslope
17-12-2020, 06:00 PM
Its a sad state of affairs, mostly down to covid, no fans coming through the turnstiles so no money being generated to pay wages!
I don't think they will be the last team to suffer from this, government money will help, but will not be enough to save some teams!!!

The 90+2
17-12-2020, 06:54 PM
I think the owners are the Rae family, who own a sweets company

Big input from they brothers who where involved at the huns. Jim Duffy walked out because he was forced to play one of their sons because they pay in £50k a month.

A Hi-Bee
17-12-2020, 07:02 PM
It is a shame and they used to give Hibs some great games going back over the years, dont think they will be the only ones in the pooh and can only wish them well and good luck.
:aok:

loanheadhibby
17-12-2020, 07:31 PM
It is a shame and they used to give Hibs some great games going back over the years, dont think they will be the only ones in the pooh and can only wish them well and good luck.
:aok:

I remember being at a game in the 80’s when Andy Ritchie scored 2 free kicks at Easter Road. They may have won that day. What a player.

04Sauzee
17-12-2020, 08:13 PM
Some more on the story here

https://mortonclubtogether.com/2020/12/17/morton-club-together-update/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

hibbydog
17-12-2020, 08:45 PM
It’s a damn shame.

Have to say, I have the utmost respect for the good people of towns like Greenock and Paisley who follow their local side when the old firm are also right on their doorstep.

Purple & Green
17-12-2020, 09:26 PM
Some more on the story here

https://mortonclubtogether.com/2020/12/17/morton-club-together-update/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Top people at MCT; they are due to take over the club from the Rae family next year. Very visible fan ownership group, and I think they will make a good go of it.

There will be challenges for them, as there will be for most Scottish clubs, but they aren’t in the worst position.

The 90+2
17-12-2020, 09:34 PM
It’s a damn shame.

Have to say, I have the utmost respect for the good people of towns like Greenock and Paisley who follow their local side when the old firm are also right on their doorstep.

:agree:

SouthMoroccoStu
18-12-2020, 03:56 AM
It’s a damn shame.

Totally agree

Hibernia&Alba
18-12-2020, 04:04 AM
It’s a damn shame.

Absolutely, I admire the small clubs on the west coast who have to battle to attract crowds at the best of times, and now Covid has pushed many to the brink. I've always enjoyed visits to Cappielow, due to its old school feel, and fingers crossed Morton and all the struggling clubs can somehow get through. It's a desperate time.

One Day
18-12-2020, 07:41 AM
It’s a damn shame.

Me too, support your local team

zitelli62
18-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Always had a soft spot for them my grandfather came from greenock and always supported them I've signed the petition.

JohnMcM
18-12-2020, 07:55 AM
Hope they find a way out of this for the sake of all the people emloyed there. Sadly It might not be too long before others join them.

The posts on this thread are sympathetic to their plight. I would hazard a guess the same can't be said about our pink chums across the city.

Ardenttwo
18-12-2020, 10:30 AM
Its a sad state of affairs, mostly down to covid, no fans coming through the turnstiles so no money being generated to pay wages!
I don't think they will be the last team to suffer from this, government money will help, but will not be enough to save some teams!!!

Government money is a loan so I expect some teams will turn it down as it needs to be paid back sometime

Scorrie
18-12-2020, 10:40 AM
I remember being at a game in the 80’s when Andy Ritchie scored 2 free kicks at Easter Road. They may have won that day. What a player.

Aye they did, 2-1. Jeezo we were poor then, dreadful most weeks. But I do remember beating Morton 5-1 with Colin Harris scoring. It was beyond Baltic that day. The cold was brutal

Brunswickbill
18-12-2020, 10:43 AM
Government money is a loan so I expect some teams will turn it down as it needs to be paid back sometime

£20m for Premiership is loans. £10m for lower tiers is grants.

Smartie
18-12-2020, 10:48 AM
I like Morton.

Mate from uni is a Morton fan and I used to go to Scotland games with him and his mates.

It sounds a bit like the Dundee United situation - father big supporter of the club and helped them out in a lot of ways. Son has entered the picture and he is under pressure not to allow the sweetie company to absorb Morton’s losses.

The ground should be worth a fair bit, but the son is also a local businessman - as we saw with Hearts / Tynecastle, there are all sorts of issues with turning valuable ground into £££££.

I don’t think the problem is so much a present one but a potential one - where Morton could end up getting shafted if certain events came to pass.

Hopefully they find a resolution. Great club, well supported, and probably one of Scotland’s greater underachievers during my time following football.

Jones28
18-12-2020, 11:38 AM
It's a shame for their supporters, and I fear this could be the first of many casualties.

Moulin Yarns
18-12-2020, 11:40 AM
https://news.stv.tv/sport/football/struggling-football-clubs-to-get-government-cash-very-soon

Might be too little too late.

kaimendhibs
18-12-2020, 12:45 PM
My mate is a huge Morton fan and has given me loads of great days out there.
Hope they get through this

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Moulin Yarns
19-12-2020, 08:07 AM
Hopefully half a million quid will keep the wolves from the door.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55371573

Hibbyradge
19-12-2020, 09:21 AM
Me too, support your local team

Sometimes you just can't.

When I moved to York, 5 years ago almost to the day, I tried to watch York City. It was terrible, absolutely horrible.

They were relegated out of the football league that season and relegated again the following year.

I just can't bring myself to spend 3 hours or so that's needed to go to their games, never mind paying the £21 they ask to sit in their decrepit old, main stand.

No doubt I'll go along out of curiosity when they move to their new stadium, but until then, it would take a great cup run and a game against a glam team to entice me back.

Peevemor
19-12-2020, 10:35 AM

Sent from my SM-G973F using TapatalkIt's good having mates like that. One of my closest pals at home was a Raith ST holder. We had some brilliant days out watching each others' teams.

Jonnyboy
19-12-2020, 11:04 AM
I feel for Morton, I really do and I hope they come through this all unscathed.

Smartie
19-12-2020, 11:04 AM

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yeah, me too, and I have soft spot for them as a result.

A bit tricky right now with St Mirren doing such a sterling job of providing us with good players and top results against our most disliked teams though.