PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on Hibs joining an Atlantic league?

Pagan Hibernia
17-12-2020, 10:43 AM
With the Atlantic league thread stretching to nearly a dozen pages I thought a wee poll might be interesting. Obviously completely unscientific as always, and we’ll ultimately have no say in any case, but fire away

Carheenlea
17-12-2020, 11:04 AM
I didn’t vote as my position would be that I don’t know enough about a proposed Atlantic League to form a strong opinion. (Despite 12 pages on the other thread!)

Probably err towards a no as I like Scottish football and the culture behind it, and have no appetite for change.

Dalianwanda
17-12-2020, 11:07 AM
Im all for progression but this doesn't excite me at all.....All for cash and nothing else which is all that's wrong with the sport at the top end.

The Spaceman
17-12-2020, 12:01 PM
Positives:

A significant cash boost to the entire Scottish game (none more so than those involved, i.e. us) to reverse decades of decline and stagnation.
Removal of Celtic and Rangers from our league probably for good (or at least a very long time).
Removal of the OF now creates a competitive league from 1st-12th (or however many teams exist) with the tantalizing prospect of Atlantic League qualification for the winners. As we saw in the lowly Championship, it was a brilliant fun season feeling like you were actually chasing a title.
I don't need to watch Hamilton and St Mirren come and slug it out against us 6-8 times a season. We would suddenly be mixing it with clubs who have had the likes of Haaland and Ibrahimovic on their books in recent years. Much higher standard of football is likely.
All Scottish teams remain in the Scottish Cup, thereby at least keeping our full roots somewhere.

Negatives:

Those left behind and missing out on OF/Edinburgh/Aberdeen away crowds who rely upon them will be impacted (however maybe offset by parachute payments each year from the Big 5/whoever is participating).
A cold away day in January to Molde will not see many away fans from either end. However a PPV option or TV rights would again make this still very lucrative...I am more thinking atmosphere.
Do we lose our soul a bit? Will we be hawked as a lucrative commercial enterprise from US investor to Asian investor to Middle East investor?
If the money isn't distributed correctly, we could end up in a nightmare scenario where big wage bills in the Atlantic League suddenly become club killers if relegated to the Scottish Premiership.

I want to say I am all for it, but my last bullet point probably concerns me the most as far as Hibs go.

Ozyhibby
17-12-2020, 01:09 PM
Surprised the poll is going the way it’s going. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones28
17-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Not for me, leaving Scottish football is a no altogether. Leave to what end? Merge with England and turn in to another Barnsley or Bradford or any other yoyo club that bounces between the Championship and League 1? No ta. Or leave for this Atlantic league nonsense that puts away games beyond the reach of most people, with minimal fans coming to ER, but more money to spend on players...hmm.

we are hibs
17-12-2020, 01:14 PM
I am open to any idea that helps Hibs become a better club and something that adds a bit of excitement. I dont know enough about this yet to know either way. If this doesnt happen then getting this scandelous "we need 4 old firm games for tv" pish out the window and restructure the league so we arent playing teams 4 times a season every season. But that needs to be well thought out and a clear plan in place before i would be behind that too

H18 SFR
17-12-2020, 01:15 PM
Not voted but a major no for me. Doesn’t interest me in the slightest.

The only good going that would come out of it for me would be that when we are away to Aaesland or Brann or the likes there will surely be a Hibs XI playing in some Scottish league at some level - that would interest me much more.

Pagan Hibernia
17-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Surprised the poll is going the way it’s going. [emoji15]

I would have expected some support for the third option

Since90+2
17-12-2020, 01:35 PM
Can't vote on mobile but it's a no from me.

wookie70
17-12-2020, 01:43 PM
I didn’t vote as my position would be that I don’t know enough about a proposed Atlantic League to form a strong opinion. (Despite 12 pages on the other thread!)

Probably err towards a no as I like Scottish football and the culture behind it, and have no appetite for change.

That would be my opinion too. I'm struggling to see much of an advantage barring the novelty factor

Ozyhibby
17-12-2020, 01:47 PM
That would be my opinion too. I'm struggling to see much of an advantage barring the novelty factor

Better players playing for Hibs?

tonyrougier123
17-12-2020, 02:14 PM
Would bite her hand off for this!Scottish football is poorly run by dinosaurs who have no innovative thinking,revenue streams are limited and you know before a balls kicked the general outcome every season.

Managers and players with any potential generally poached for a pittance even though we are a huge club potentially the cash just isn’t there to build success.we constantly have to re build the team,effectively costing us a lot of money on wages and contracts.

A lot of players just don’t want to play in Scotland so it could open up a whole new stream of potential signings ,and by the revenue being discussed the wage budget would significantly increase.loan players would be of higher quality as would signings in general.

It surprises me the amount of folk who would continue going with the flow especially as they do nothing but moan on here about the current state of the game in Scotland from referees to pundits and the people who run the game up here.

Ozyhibby
17-12-2020, 02:24 PM
Would bite her hand off for this!Scottish football is poorly run by dinosaurs who have no innovative thinking,revenue streams are limited and you know before a balls kicked the general outcome every season.

Managers and players with any potential generally poached for a pittance even though we are a huge club potentially the cash just isn’t there to build success.we constantly have to re build the team,effectively costing us a lot of money on wages and contracts.

A lot of players just don’t want to play in Scotland so it could open up a whole new stream of potential signings ,and by the revenue being discussed the wage budget would significantly increase.loan players would be of higher quality as would signings in general.

It surprises me the amount of folk who would continue going with the flow especially as they do nothing but moan on here about the current state of the game in Scotland from referees to pundits and the people who run the game up here.

The percentages on this poll show there is an appetite for something different. If RG is planning this kind of move he’ll be happy. The minute the club say that they think it’s a good idea, there is a large percentage of Hibs fans who will immediately switch to supporting it as well.
If it gets of the ground then the fans will back it.

B.H.F.C
17-12-2020, 02:33 PM
The percentages on this poll show there is an appetite for something different. If RG is planning this kind of move he’ll be happy. The minute the club say that they think it’s a good idea, there is a large percentage of Hibs fans who will immediately switch to supporting it as well.

If you ignore the fact that over half of the respondents, so far, have said they’re totally against it then I suppose you could argue there is an appetite to change.

Pagan Hibernia
17-12-2020, 02:40 PM

and also a considerable amount of opposition

Itsnoteasy
17-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Playing against Esbjerg, Hammarby, Aarhus, Valarenga some team to be confirmed fi Ireland nah no thanks.

Pretty Boy
17-12-2020, 02:56 PM
I don't really know a huge amount about it, how advanced the talks are or how involved Hibs are in that. Hopefully the question will be asked at some point.

I'm not really sure how I feel. European leagues and so on have been discussed for so long that my expectation is that this will fizzle out to nothing as before. On the other hand it feels like a revolution of sorts is coming in football. Liverpool and Man Utd were stirring things up in England earlier this year, UEFA and the traditional elite are increasingly determined to make the CL a closed shop and a major shake up of European league football doesn't seem so far fetched. If it is to happen I'd prefer Hibs were at the forefront and getting our point across rather than passively watching on.

The idea of picking and choosing a couple of exciting aaway trips every season probably appeals to me more than another 2 trips to Dingwall, Hamilton or Perth tbh. The 12 team format in Scotland feels stale and I'm happy to explore options to shake things up as a club and as a country.

Ozyhibby
17-12-2020, 03:00 PM
If you ignore the fact that over half of the respondents, so far, have said they’re totally against it then I suppose you could argue there is an appetite to change.

and also a considerable amount of opposition

Like I said, the minute the club say it’s a good idea, a lot of that opposition will fall away.

1 8 7 5
17-12-2020, 03:09 PM
I selected the third one as its the closest to my thinking....but maybe no:greengrin

I would like to get a better understanding of it and would probably prefer something slightly different to the propsed AL at this time.

However, something really needs to be done to our game up here. The product, the way we sell it, the lack of facilities, the ennui, I could go on... then can immediately flip and think, hang on, we really just need to stop the cheating that goes on up here and really with some tweaks here and there, the priority being the refereeing, then address the size of the league and amount of games against each other, and the voting rules, and within a short time Scottish football would be actually very good!

...and then I flip back again and worry that we would be properly left behind as the years went by. Hibernian have a tradition of being at the forefront of change in Scottish Fitba. We as a club should always be striving to be the best and play against the best.

So basically ah dinnae ken and Im a slaver!

hibby rae
17-12-2020, 03:22 PM
I'm for it if it means Celtic and Rangers aren't in the Premiership and we can realistically challenge for titles. But no desire for Hibs to be a part of it.

However, I would be against Scotland losing any European spots to it e.g. whoever wins the Premiership should still be in the Champions League, and I'm not sold on the progression/parachute idea at moment.

And if it turned out be to a terrible thing then Celtic and Rangers would have to try and come in at the bottom if they wanted back in.

So I'm more second choice but didn't vote as it doesn't fully cover my feelings on it.

superfurryhibby
17-12-2020, 03:22 PM
TV deal goes tits up after a couple of years..........whoops no Scottish League to return to.

Exciting foreign trips....novelty will wear off soon enough.

Not for me.

chippy
17-12-2020, 03:34 PM
I’m all for cross border leagues like this. I think it suits clubs of around our size with good potential in a large growing city. I would prefer a 2 tier set up for promotion / relegation. If it’s with Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Ireland then we’d definitely be in as a top tier club. A strong one on average gates too. If the TV money is right and of the order suggested then let’s go. I would also prefer a B/A team playing in the spfl. I think all the Scots clubs would want that. Also to remain in Scottish Cup. There are larger clubs in this set up than us but not as big as the old firm. But I think over a period of time some of the clubs will grow more than others and the old firm will not win this thing as easily as the spfl. In fact I don’t see them winning it 9 years in a row. How much we grow will depend on good recruitment and management. But we’d be in a different market and able to pay much more than we can now. It will also depend on the level of investment and sponsorship we can attract, how much Ron puts in , etc
I think talks have ceased due to Celtic’ withdrawal but maybe something is still going on in the background. It would at some point be good to get a clear solid proposal for us all to chew over though

superfurryhibby
17-12-2020, 03:40 PM
I’m all for cross border leagues like this. I think it suits clubs of around our size with good potential in a large growing city. I would prefer a 2 tier set up for promotion / relegation. If it’s with Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Ireland then we’d definitely be in as a top tier club. A strong one on average gates too. If the TV money is right and of the order suggested then let’s go. I would also prefer a B/A team playing in the spfl. I think all the Scots clubs would want that. Also to remain in Scottish Cup. There are larger clubs in this set up than us but not as big as the old firm. But I think over a period of time some of the clubs will grow more than others and the old firm will not win this thing as easily as the spfl. In fact I don’t see them winning it 9 years in a row. How much we grow will depend on good recruitment and management. But we’d be in a different market and able to pay much more than we can now. It will also depend on the level of investment and sponsorship we can attract, how much Ron puts in , etc
I think talks have ceased due to Celtic’ withdrawal but maybe something is still going on in the background. It would at some point be good to get a clear solid proposal for us all to chew over though

What would be left of the SPFL once many of the other clubs left behind go bust? It would be a part time league at best, a poor man’s League of Ireland.

Still no answer from proponents as to what happens if the plug was pulled on this North Sea League. Nothing to actually return after that.

easty
17-12-2020, 03:50 PM
On phone so haven’t been able to vote, but it’s a decisive no for me.

The idea is just *****. We’d no be playing Ajax and Benfica, or anyone particularly exciting to me.

I highly doubt that the commercial interest for it exists that makes it worthwhile either. Dress it up however you want, the viewing figures for games we are involved in will interest us, and the opposition fans, barely anyone else. So who’s going to throw a great deal at us for the privilege?

Give me an away game trip to Hamilton or Dundee or Inverness any day over a game away at Viking Stavangar or Odd, that I can’t go to.

Since90+2
17-12-2020, 03:58 PM
I’m all for cross border leagues like this.

Which countries in the proposal does Scotland border?

Pagan Hibernia
17-12-2020, 03:58 PM
Like I said, the minute the club say it’s a good idea, a lot of that opposition will fall away.

you’re quite fond of the odd sweeping statement aren’t you :greengrin

ABZHFC
17-12-2020, 04:18 PM
The Europa Conference League will be a good competition and will make shouts for an Atlantic League from Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen fans lessen dramatically, in my opinion. With Scotland soon to have 5 coefficient places in European cups, the regularity of our clubs competing - and actually going far - will increase big time.

I personally am dead against the idea of any cross-border leagues, I am a fan of traditionalism and don't think we should make change for change's sake. I love Scottish football, for all its awfulness at times, and I would hate for so many of the small enjoyments of it to be taken away by Hibs joining another league.

Fundamentally, the Atlantic League is not the answer to big team dominance in Europe, the answer is UEFA growing a set and telling the ECA and its big clubs to **** off and form their European Super League, while the rest of us get on with playing in competitive leagues once again.

ABZHFC
17-12-2020, 04:22 PM
Also, the fact there are Hibs fans who feel as though we are stagnating due to being Scottish league system does make me chuckle a bit.

We have won ten major honours in 145 years of our history. The answer, if you want to radically shake-up our chances of winning silverware, is not to join an even-harder league, it would be to encourage the Old Firm to **** off down south.

Lendo
17-12-2020, 05:52 PM
A question for those that are against it. Would you still say no even if Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen all say yes. Would you want to remain in the Scottish league without them?

Personally i would say yes, join if the rest are. If it was only Rangers and Celtic leaving, then i would happily stay and enjoy the challenge of a more even league.

The Modfather
17-12-2020, 06:03 PM
A question for those that are against it. Would you still say no even if Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen all say yes. Would you want to remain in the Scottish league without them?

No. If those clubs were to leave we’d have to move with them otherwise our infrastructure would become a lead weight trying to maintain it with no money left in Scottish football and the support drifting away when run of the mill games now, become our biggest game of the season against a stripped down version Motherwell or Kilmarnock etc.

Think we all agree change is needed but I’d rather do it within Scottish football. League re-construction, external governing body, gentleman’s agreement to homegrown rule like Holland had/has, fairer distribution, lessons learned from Germany in terms of not treating the fans as a cash cow afterthought etc etc. Do I see any/all if that happening, no, but I think I’d feel a bigger disconnect in an Atlantic league we won’t win than in our Scottish league we won’t win.

wookie70
17-12-2020, 06:03 PM

All relative though. It may allow us to buy slightly better players who will be playing against slightly better players. Not sure we would notice a huge difference

Since90+2
17-12-2020, 06:06 PM
All relative though. It may allow us to buy slightly better players who will be playing against slightly better players. Not sure we would notice a huge difference

Exactly.

If the argument is better players would result in a more entertaining league I'd point to the fact the Championship in England dwarfs our league for salaries but a huge amount of their games are absolutely pish.

where'stheslope
17-12-2020, 06:12 PM
Cannot get serious about this, any league outwith Scotland would only really be interested in the big Glasgow two!
For a start, how would fans travel to away games every second week?
Would we have to surrender our Scottish registration?
If it never worked out, could we return?
Would the SPFL allow us to play when their games were on?
To many ifs and buts!
Bin the idea!!!!

B.H.F.C
17-12-2020, 06:15 PM

Personally i would say yes, join if the rest are. If it was only Rangers and Celtic leaving, then i would happily stay and enjoy the challenge of a more even league.

If it happens you need to be part of it.

I’d just rather it didn’t and don’t think it will any time soon.

A Hi-Bee
17-12-2020, 06:57 PM
For Scottish league lets just change it for what it really is it is the Glasgow Combo league, an it sucks.
All for the new Viking league bring it on.......
:greengrin :aok:

Keith_M
17-12-2020, 06:59 PM
Which countries in the proposal does Scotland border?

That's not necessarily what Cross Border means

Eyrie
17-12-2020, 07:03 PM
I put some thought into this before responding.

Option one has nothing going for it.

Option three might have a chance, but I can't think of a proposal that would work for Hibs.

Option two is therefore the only sensible answer. Others may differ, in which case I'll respect their right to be wrong.

The 90+2
17-12-2020, 07:46 PM
Let them join the Scottish leagues in the pyramid system.

hibby rae
17-12-2020, 10:59 PM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned. It would mean a switch to summer football, which I'd like to see anyway.

NAE NOOKIE
17-12-2020, 11:26 PM
Its not a case of should we desert Scottish football for riches elsewhere, it's a case of the survival of full time professional football in Scotland In the next decade money is going to be tight for clubs already struggling, today we have news of clubs in the championship struggling for cash, that's not going to get any better and the question to be asked is exactly what quality of a league will we have with clubs who are currently full time eventually going part time?

Merged leagues are going to become a thing in Europe within a few years in my opinion, the Dutch and Belgians were already seriously looking at it prior to the pandemic.

IMO if Hibs are to progress and grow as a club we have to seriously look at being in at the start of any proposed new league. I don't get the folk saying we would lose the derby for example, we wouldn't. Any Atlantic league is going to be formed not on sporting merit but by clubs who can show they are already big time, or who can show an ability to sustain decent support or who have potential to grow support. Any new league will also want to present attractive or exciting fixtures like genuine derby matches to the TV companies. Hibs and Hearts qualify on every count. Anybody who has bothered to check could tell you that in the last 5 years both Edinburgh clubs have drawn average attendances that would put them miles up in all of the leagues an Atlantic league would be formed from.

Denmark ...18/19 season:

1st ... FC Copenhagen ... 17,260
2nd .. Brondby ... 13,726
3rd ... AFG ... 8,613

Norway: 2019

1st ... Rosenborg ... 12,704
2nd .. SK Brann ... 11,042
3rd ... Viking FK ... 8,933

Sweden 2019

1st ... Hammarby IF ... 24,232
2nd ... AIK Solna ... 18.970
3rd ... Malmo ... 16,566

Republic of Ireland 2019

1st ... Shamrock Rovers ... 3,445
2nd ... Bohemians ... 2,878
3rd ... Dundalk ... 2,753

In all of those leagues after the first 4 or 5 teams Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and even Dundee Utd with an average of around 7,000 blow everybody out of the water, even the attendances in Sweden drop off dramatically after the top seven clubs.

If an Atlantic league could get the Swedes on board it would have a real chance of forming a strong 20 team league. This would be a chance for the much vaunted merged Dundee team to be a goer giving Scotland 6 clubs. Though if you ask me the only hope for Ireland would be if you could get the two main Dublin teams utterly revamped with new stadiums and a push to get the City's 1000,000 population to buy into them.

The potential TV market would be around 30 million and if the fans bought into it every club involved would have a chance to grow their home attendances, of all the clubs only Celtic and Rangers reach stadium capacity on a regular basis.

It all adds up to more money, which means attracting better players and less chance of losing young talented domestic players to lower league English clubs with 4,000 average crowds but more money than us.

The alternative of a cash poor league, with no money falling crowds and a handful of full time clubs doesn't look anything like as attractive a prospect IMO

Onceinawhile
17-12-2020, 11:39 PM
As long as we get royal antwerp away.

The 90+2
17-12-2020, 11:40 PM

Celtic and Rangers aren't going to leave league to join that crap. What would be in it for them?

Ozyhibby
18-12-2020, 07:48 AM
Celtic and Rangers aren't going to leave league to join that crap. What would be in it for them?

About £20m per annum more than they get now?

flash
18-12-2020, 07:52 AM

Once we commit to this pish we can never go back which makes me uncomfortable. Its purely about money and to hell with who gets left behind in the process.
It's a no from me and always will be.

The Modfather
18-12-2020, 08:22 AM
Its not a case of should we desert Scottish football for riches elsewhere, it's a case of the survival of full time professional football in Scotland In the next decade money is going to be tight for clubs already struggling, today we have news of clubs in the championship struggling for cash, that's not going to get any better and the question to be asked is exactly what quality of a league will we have with clubs who are currently full time eventually going part time?

Merged leagues are going to become a thing in Europe within a few years in my opinion, the Dutch and Belgians were already seriously looking at it prior to the pandemic.

IMO if Hibs are to progress and grow as a club we have to seriously look at being in at the start of any proposed new league. I don't get the folk saying we would lose the derby for example, we wouldn't. Any Atlantic league is going to be formed not on sporting merit but by clubs who can show they are already big time, or who can show an ability to sustain decent support or who have potential to grow support. Any new league will also want to present attractive or exciting fixtures like genuine derby matches to the TV companies. Hibs and Hearts qualify on every count. Anybody who has bothered to check could tell you that in the last 5 years both Edinburgh clubs have drawn average attendances that would put them miles up in all of the leagues an Atlantic league would be formed from.

Denmark ...18/19 season:

1st ... FC Copenhagen ... 17,260
2nd .. Brondby ... 13,726
3rd ... AFG ... 8,613

Norway: 2019

1st ... Rosenborg ... 12,704
2nd .. SK Brann ... 11,042
3rd ... Viking FK ... 8,933

Sweden 2019

1st ... Hammarby IF ... 24,232
2nd ... AIK Solna ... 18.970
3rd ... Malmo ... 16,566

Republic of Ireland 2019

1st ... Shamrock Rovers ... 3,445
2nd ... Bohemians ... 2,878
3rd ... Dundalk ... 2,753

In all of those leagues after the first 4 or 5 teams Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and even Dundee Utd with an average of around 7,000 blow everybody out of the water, even the attendances in Sweden drop off dramatically after the top seven clubs.

If an Atlantic league could get the Swedes on board it would have a real chance of forming a strong 20 team league. This would be a chance for the much vaunted merged Dundee team to be a goer giving Scotland 6 clubs. Though if you ask me the only hope for Ireland would be if you could get the two main Dublin teams utterly revamped with new stadiums and a push to get the City's 1000,000 population to buy into them.

The potential TV market would be around 30 million and if the fans bought into it every club involved would have a chance to grow their home attendances, of all the clubs only Celtic and Rangers reach stadium capacity on a regular basis.

It all adds up to more money, which means attracting better players and less chance of losing young talented domestic players to lower league English clubs with 4,000 average crowds but more money than us.

The alternative of a cash poor league, with no money falling crowds and a handful of full time clubs doesn't look anything like as attractive a prospect IMO

If you’re talking about the Dundee clubs merging why not Hibs & Hearts also merging?

There is merit in something like an Atlantic league, but from the various discussions and without any concrete evidence yet to help change my mind, it’s not something that is likely to persuade me. When we start talking about merging clubs, or artificially inflating clubs in Ireland the idea drifts further away for me.

I’ve already said on this thread what I’d like to see change within Scottish football, but swapping one league we can’t win for another league we can’t win and have to watch nearly half the games on Hibs pass against teams we have no feelings about either way would likely see me naturally drift away in time.

Ozyhibby
18-12-2020, 08:27 AM
If you’re talking about the Dundee clubs merging why not Hibs & Hearts also merging?

There is merit in something like an Atlantic league, but from the various discussions and without any concrete evidence yet to help change my mind, it’s not something that is likely to persuade me. When we start talking about merging clubs, or artificially inflating clubs in Ireland the idea drifts further away for me.

I’ve already said on this thread what I’d like to see change within Scottish football, but swapping one league we can’t win for another league we can’t win and have to watch nearly half the games on Hibs pass against teams we have no feelings about either way would likely see me naturally drift away in time.

You would soon develop feelings about teams as we start to play them more often.

The Modfather
18-12-2020, 08:33 AM
You would soon develop feelings about teams as we start to play them more often.

Maybe so, but seeing Swedish, Norwegian etc teams once a season in the flesh with little or no away fans is likely to feel more like a pre season game than any real opinion about the club developing over time IMO. Again I am only speaking for myself, and I’m probably not the target demographic anyway given football is slowly sliding down my priorities list with age and family each year as it is.

Ozyhibby
18-12-2020, 09:01 AM
Maybe so, but seeing Swedish, Norwegian etc teams once a season in the flesh with little or no away fans is likely to feel more like a pre season game than any real opinion about the club developing over time IMO. Again I am only speaking for myself, and I’m probably not the target demographic anyway given football is slowly sliding down my priorities list with age and family each year as it is.

Outside of Hearts, Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen the away fans at Easter road are not really a factor in the atmosphere. I think some of the bigger teams in the Atlantic league would bring more fans than Hamilton or Ross County.

w pilton hibby
18-12-2020, 09:28 AM

Will we get £20m a year too?

Pagan Hibernia
18-12-2020, 09:42 AM

what happens after about 15 or 20 years of an Atlantic league when Rangers and Celtic decide they’re being shackled by a league with modest (by champions league standards) Scandinavian clubs and start agitating to move again?

are we all just going to keep bouncing between leagues until we find one that suits us?

Ozyhibby
18-12-2020, 09:52 AM

According to the Aberdeen chairman it was about £17m pa from TV per club plus whatever extra in commercial income from playing in front of bigger TV audiences. Would not be hard to turn that into £20m.

Since90+2
18-12-2020, 10:01 AM
Outside of Hearts, Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen the away fans at Easter road are not really a factor in the atmosphere. I think some of the bigger teams in the Atlantic league would bring more fans than Hamilton or Ross County.

St Mirren are some of the best fans we've had at ER, Dundee United always bring a good crowd and Motherwell are always up for it.

It's not correct to say it's only the big clubs who help with the atmosphere.

jgl07
18-12-2020, 10:38 AM
The trouble is that any League you mention that has Celtic and Sevco in would end up being ‘same again’ with much higher costs.

Similarly any system that didn’t have them in would be totally ignored by the media and the crowds would decline.

We’re doomed either way, I tell you, we’re doomed!

Up The Bracket
18-12-2020, 10:46 AM
Absolutely no danger, the day we join an Atlantic league is the day I stop watching Hibs, same with VAR, things like that are trying to turn football into a showpiece on television instead of the reason it’s great.

If either of these things become a reality I’ll go and watch Edinburgh City instead, can’t believe anyone is voting yes to this.

James Stephen
18-12-2020, 10:59 AM
Could perhaps do with merging this and the other thread - discussing exactly the same thing?

easty
18-12-2020, 11:39 AM

Call it £20m each or £50m each a year, it makes no difference, as the money doesn’t exist because it’s not happening

easty
18-12-2020, 11:40 AM
what happens after about 15 or 20 years of an Atlantic league when Rangers and Celtic decide they’re being shackled by a league with modest (by champions league standards) Scandinavian clubs and start agitating to move again?

are we all just going to keep bouncing between leagues until we find one that suits us?

In 15-20 years we’ll still be playing in the Scottish League. So will Rangers and Celtic.

Pagan Hibernia
18-12-2020, 11:43 AM
In 15-20 years we’ll still be playing in the Scottish League. So will Rangers and Celtic.

I hope so mate.

B.H.F.C
18-12-2020, 12:53 PM
According to the Aberdeen chairman it was about £17m pa from TV per club plus whatever extra in commercial income from playing in front of bigger TV audiences. Would not be hard to turn that into £20m.

That’s a bit of a jump from the £900m between 20 clubs, over 6 years, that was originally reported.

weecounty hibby
18-12-2020, 12:59 PM
If it happens I suppose it will be like the champions League. The younger generation like it but I would scrap it and go back to a proper Europe cup again. With Uefa and Cup winners cups.
It's all about money making and nothing to do with history and tradition.
Celtic and rangers will get involved as they will never get into England.
So it will just be another example of big clubs looking after themselves and to hell with everyone else. See the closed shop if European competitions and the attempt in England to make the EPL a closed shop as well. I have no doubt that my grand kids will think that it is amazing but I can't really see myself getting excited by it

Ozyhibby
18-12-2020, 12:59 PM
That’s a bit of a jump from the £900m between 20 clubs, over 6 years, that was originally reported.

Pretty sure that was the guaranteed minimum that the investment bank promised.