PDA

View Full Version : Paul McGinn

Peevemor
16-12-2020, 09:15 AM
...must be the only player (I'm not counting the youngsters - Gullan, Mackie, Doig & Bradley) that's good enough to play for Hibs in that he's yet to be classed as useless*, too slow*, too inconsistent*, a luxury*, a nightmare*, past it*, etc. by the experts on .net.

He must be worth millions!

Murphy remains borderline but I've high hopes for Magennis.

* delete as appropriate

Since90+2
16-12-2020, 09:20 AM
...must be the only player (I'm not counting the youngsters - Gullan, Mackie, Doig & Bradley) that's good enough to play for Hibs in that he's yet to be classed as useless*, too slow*, too inconsistent*, a luxury*, a nightmare*, past it*, etc. by the experts on .net.

* delete as appropriate

Is he classed as those things often on here? I'd say overall he is pretty well liked from what I've read.

Peevemor
16-12-2020, 09:22 AM
Is he classed as those things often on here? I'd say overall he is pretty well liked from what I've read.

That's the point I'm making. If you believe everything you read on here he's about the only player good enough to play for us.

Since90+2
16-12-2020, 09:26 AM
That's the point I'm making. If you believe everything you read on here he's about the only player good enough to play for us.

Ah I see what you mean now.

Nisbet is also pretty much universally praised on here too (and rightly so).

Peevemor
16-12-2020, 09:27 AM
Ah I see what you mean now.

Nisbet is also pretty much universally praised on here too (and rightly so).

Sorry, he slipped my mind due to his absence last night.

Very true.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-12-2020, 09:33 AM

Some of our players get classed as all of that during 90 minutes.

SlickShoes
16-12-2020, 10:06 AM

* delete as appropriate

Don't worry he got classed as all those things when it was revealed we were signing him from St Mirren. Sure it will come around again.

Keith_M
16-12-2020, 10:42 AM
Don't worry he got classed as all those things when it was revealed we were signing him from St Mirren. Sure it will come around again.

I think the comments were mostly along the lines of 'if that's the level we aspire to, we're going nowhere'.

Presumably because we've never signed a player from St Mirren that has amounted to much...

WhileTheChief..
16-12-2020, 10:44 AM
Top trolling from the OP.

Why not just have a thread praising him instead of having a go at Hibs fans that see things differently to you?

Northernhibee
16-12-2020, 10:47 AM

Why not just have a thread praising him instead of having a go at Hibs fans that see things differently to you?

Probably because the overpowering negativity on here is way too much, and those who look to be balanced take the brunt of it?

There are a large number of posters who seem to want to one up each other in who can express how bad they think we are. It’s bloody refreshing to see people say “bollocks to that”.

Keith_M
16-12-2020, 10:48 AM
Probably because the overpowering negativity on here is way too much, and those who look to be balanced take the brunt of it?

There are a large number of posters who seem to want to one up each other in who can express how bad they think we are. It’s bloody refreshing to see people say “bollocks to that”.

:agree:

Fergus52
16-12-2020, 10:50 AM

Don't think it's trolling, he's just sarcastically making the very good point that plenty posters on here can't wait to stick the boot in to just about anyone in our squad after one sub par performance.

makaveli1875
16-12-2020, 11:02 AM

If you go back to the thread from when we signed him there were plenty of boots going in . lacked ambition , not good enough for hibs , bottom 6 signing etc etc

Peevemor
16-12-2020, 11:03 AM

The thread isn't really meant to be about Paul McGinn, it's not meant to be trolling and it's not about opinions I disagree with, although there are obviously some.

Two of the hottest threads currently on the MB are about Stevie Mallan & Joe Newell full of different opinions - which is fine, that's why we're all here. But it got me thinking about the current squad and how many of our players aren't regularly criticised on here.

I came up with Paul McGinn, maybe Jamie Murphy, hopefully Kyle Magennis and I stupidly forgot Kevin Nisbet.

If we listened to some posters on here, not always the same ones but not always a tiny minority either, the rest would have been binned by now.

It's just an observation on my part as opposed to a criticism, and I'm not looking to start a cyber-stramash, but I see no harm in discussing how fickle/impatient/knowledgeable/ignorant/inconsistent we can all be as well as wondering what sort of players we expect to fill the squad with the financial constraints that we work under.

HFC93
16-12-2020, 11:17 AM

I don't think you understand what trolling is.

The Modfather
16-12-2020, 11:17 AM
The thread isn't really meant to be about Paul McGinn, it's not meant to be trolling and it's not about opinions I disagree with, although there are obviously some.

Two of the hottest threads currently on the MB are about Stevie Mallan & Joe Newell full of different opinions - which is fine, that's why we're all here. But it got me thinking about the current squad and how many of our players aren't regularly criticised on here.

I came up with Paul McGinn, maybe Jamie Murphy, hopefully Kyle Magennis and I stupidly forgot Kevin Nisbet.

If we listened to some posters on here, not always the same ones but not always a tiny minority either, the rest would have been binned by now.

It's just an observation on my part as opposed to a criticism, and I'm not looking to start a cyber-stramash, but I see no harm in discussing how fickle/impatient/knowledgeable/ignorant/inconsistent we can all be as well as wondering what sort of players we expect to fill the squad with the financial constraints that we work under.

Hanlon, Porteous, Doig & Mackie have also received lots of praise this season. As well as folk talking about the importance of Marciano etc. At times I think folk can see what they want to see, be it positive or negative opinions.

The extremes, be it positive or negative are still in the minority IMO, as they always have been.

Northernhibee
16-12-2020, 11:22 AM
Hanlon, Porteous, Doig & Mackie have also received lots of praise this season. As well as folk talking about the importance of Marciano etc. At times I think folk can see what they want to see, be it positive or negative opinions.

The extremes, be it positive or negative are still in the minority IMO, as they always have been.

For a reasonable length of time last night the match thread was borderline unreadable from OTT opinions.

The way I saw last nights game was we were the better team but Alloa used their small, artificial pitch and set up to make it even smaller. They got the benefit of an unfortunate deflection to take the lead but we changed shape and found the way to win the game.

You’d think we were back in Calderwood/Butcher territory reading some parts of the thread. It’s tiresome.

calumhibee1
16-12-2020, 11:34 AM
For a reasonable length of time last night the match thread was borderline unreadable from OTT opinions.

The way I saw last nights game was we were the better team but Alloa used their small, artificial pitch and set up to make it even smaller. They got the benefit of an unfortunate deflection to take the lead but we changed shape and found the way to win the game.

You’d think we were back in Calderwood/Butcher territory reading some parts of the thread. It’s tiresome.

So because your opinion was that we done alright last night then everyone who didn’t think that was OTT and made the thread unreadable? :confused:

We toiled against a part time team who have won one league game all season in the league below us. I’m not quite sure what you were expecting people to be saying about that but it was never going to be positive.

Also, Paul McGinn is a superstar. :agree:

Magpie
16-12-2020, 11:35 AM
Brilliant signing, one of the best since his brother IMO.

WhileTheChief..
16-12-2020, 12:19 PM
So because your opinion was that we done alright last night then everyone who didn’t think that was OTT and made the thread unreadable? :confused:

We toiled against a part time team who have won one league game all season in the league below us. I’m not quite sure what you were expecting people to be saying about that but it was never going to be positive.

Also, Paul McGinn is a superstar. :agree:

:top marks

Pretending that the first half was good enough doesn’t do anyone any favours.

Happy clapping posts deliberately going against the grain is just as tedious as folk having a wee moan.

Peevemor
16-12-2020, 12:35 PM
:top marks

Pretending that the first half was good enough doesn’t do anyone any favours.

Happy clapping posts deliberately going against the grain is just as tedious as folk having a wee moan.

Or maybe they're Hibs supporters supporting their team and it's players?

Last night someone referred to a Doidge miss as "disgusting". I mean WTF?

Northernhibee
16-12-2020, 12:39 PM

Puzzling. The first half performance wasn’t brilliant, but it was in no way terrible either. We didn’t take a couple of chances and the only thing they had on target took a horrible deflection and went in. I’ve seen us play worst and go in ahead at HT many a time before.

Some posters have a weird, distorted idea that everything is brilliant or terrible and as such anyone who says that it wasn’t as bad as it’s being made out is a “happy clapper”.

Fair enough we should have taken at least one chance but as it turned out we didn’t need to. The energy, passing and movement up to conceding a goal was good. The goal threw us off a bit but we worked out way back into it against a very organised side on a difficult pitch. They never really carved open any proper gilt edged opportunities other than a blunder from the keeper late on.

It’s very tiresome having certain posters go on about “happy clappers” when some people just have a balanced view of the game.