PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's Referee

Jim_in_Canada
15-12-2020, 09:42 PM
Many people say that footballers take too many dives nowadays but tonight showed the reason why. Gullan was through on the goallie, was tripped and tried to keep his feet and didn't score. This gave the referee an easy way out - which he took. If Gullan had hit the deck, it probably would have resulted in a penalty and perhaps a red card.

Northernhibee
15-12-2020, 09:44 PM
I don’t think it was a penalty tbf, looked more like he tripped over his own feet.

lord bunberry
15-12-2020, 09:46 PM
Many people say that footballers take too many dives nowadays but tonight showed the reason why. Gullan was through on the goallie, was tripped and tried to keep his feet and didn't score. This gave the referee an easy way out - which he took. If Gullan had hit the deck, it probably would have resulted in a penalty and perhaps a red card.
Gullan wasn’t touched by the goalkeeper, he tried to leave his leg out for contact to be made, but there wasn’t any. If he’d just concentrated on scoring he’d have had a tap in.

hibbysam
15-12-2020, 09:51 PM
Gullan wasn’t touched by the goalkeeper, he tried to leave his leg out for contact to be made, but there wasn’t any. If he’d just concentrated on scoring he’d have had a tap in.

The problem was he tried to leave his left leg when it was his right that was closest to the keeper. Had it been his right it would’ve been a stonewaller, as it were it just looked awkward.

Irish_Steve
15-12-2020, 09:52 PM
Yeah, he went for a "Brian Laudrup" penalty - ie, stick your leg into the goalie and then fall over said keeper

lord bunberry
15-12-2020, 09:56 PM
The problem was he tried to leave his left leg when it was his right that was closest to the keeper. Had it been his right it would’ve been a stonewaller, as it were it just looked awkward.
I hadn’t noticed that, but you’re right it looked awkward.

Onceinawhile
15-12-2020, 09:58 PM
If he'd hit the deck I think he'd have got the penalty.

Wasn't touched though and the ref made the right decision.

gaz1875
15-12-2020, 10:06 PM
If he'd hit the deck I think he'd have got the penalty.

Wasn't touched though and the ref made the right decision.

I agree probably would have been given. He accidently touched the ball slightly which stopped him getting a shot at goal.

CMurdoch
15-12-2020, 11:13 PM

Footballers don't generally take dives in the penalty box. What they do is fish for a contact and when it doesn't come it looks like a dive. I think it's akin to cheating but they all do it and it is an accepted skill. Gullan's fishing effort was unsuccessful so no penalty.

Sir David Gray
15-12-2020, 11:31 PM
I don’t think it was a penalty tbf, looked more like he tripped over his own feet.

Yeah I thought at the time that he was caught and should have gone down but after seeing replays I don't think he was touched by the goalkeeper and I'm glad he decided to stay up instead of diving.

Iggy Pope
16-12-2020, 04:19 PM
All done in a split second as he went past the keeper who had stuck an arm out without giving him the benefit of the hindsight displayed so expertly here :wink:

brog
16-12-2020, 07:48 PM
All done in a split second as he went past the keeper who had stuck an arm out without giving him the benefit of the hindsight displayed so expertly here :wink:

Exactly!!