PDA

View Full Version : Joe Newell

DJ HIBBY
15-12-2020, 09:34 PM
Firstly happy to be in the semi final. I know there was a few poor performances tonight but Newell in particular had a shocker, completely hid out the midfield, every time ball there was he was nowhere near to be seen. On the rare occasion he did pick up the ball, he simply just passed to centre half. He has the ability and I do rate him but tonight was a shocker and it was more to do with not taking responsibility which is disappointing. Mallan and Macgennis on the other hand took that responsibility and ultimately drove us over the line. Boyle aslo very good tonight.

kaimendhibs
15-12-2020, 09:38 PM
Firstly happy to be in the semi final. I know there was a few poor performances tonight but Newell in particular had a shocker, completely hid out the midfield, every time ball there was he was nowhere near to be seen. On the rare occasion he did pick up the ball, he simply just passed to centre half. He has the ability and I do rate him but tonight was a shocker and it was more to do with not taking responsibility which is disappointing. Mallan and Macgennis on the other hand took that responsibility and ultimately drove us over the line. Boyle aslo very good tonight.[emoji85][emoji85][emoji85] really. Takes the ball all the time and moves it. If I was a hibs player reading this zi would be offski asap

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
15-12-2020, 09:38 PM
He's been vital for us this season, and whilst I don't think he had a great game by any means, I personally wouldn't pick him out for individual criticism above 5 or 6 other meh performances tonight. Agreed RE the substitutions and Boyle looking lively.

wookie70
15-12-2020, 09:41 PM
Poor tonight but very good this season. He needs players moving around him and we were like statues tonight. Another semi final so no harm done and always great to have an off day and win

DJ HIBBY
15-12-2020, 09:41 PM
[emoji85][emoji85][emoji85] really. Takes the ball all the time and moves it. If I was a hibs player reading this zi would be offski asap

His passing was nearly always back to the centre back though. As i said he has the ability and has played well in flashes this season. Just feel he should show more swagger and confidence to dictate more games.

EVENTUALLY
15-12-2020, 09:42 PM
Firstly happy to be in the semi final. I know there was a few poor performances tonight but Newell in particular had a shocker, completely hid out the midfield, every time ball there was he was nowhere near to be seen. On the rare occasion he did pick up the ball, he simply just passed to centre half. He has the ability and I do rate him but tonight was a shocker and it was more to do with not taking responsibility which is disappointing. Mallan and Macgennis on the other hand took that responsibility and ultimately drove us over the line. Boyle aslo very good tonight.

Agreed.

His body language was awful. Think he was struggling to deal with the pitch but he should have been running around more to close down opponents at least. We can all have an off day but a lack of effort is inexcusable.

kaimendhibs
15-12-2020, 09:43 PM
His passing was nearly always back to the centre back though. As i said he has the ability and has played well in flashes this season. Just feel he should show more swagger and confidence to dictate more games.Not arguing but he needs players showing for forward passes. Hey ho, we are winning and all Hibs

JimBHibees
15-12-2020, 09:45 PM
Probably been our best player this season imo.

MWHIBBIES
15-12-2020, 09:46 PM
This hiding myth surfaces again.

hibbysam
15-12-2020, 09:47 PM
Agreed.

His body language was awful. Think he was struggling to deal with the pitch but he should have been running around more to close down opponents at least. We can all have an off day but a lack of effort is inexcusable.

The fact we were rarely troubled defensively regardless of how poor we were was testament to his work in the middle off the ball. Calling him out for lack of effort isn’t on. Not his finest game on the ball, but it was far from a lack of effort. There was a number of issues, back 4 too square, midfield too deep, Doidge isolated. For Newell to be effective we need our front 4 to be interchanging, busy, and aggressive in attack. Unfortunately they were off it, as were the rest of the team.

JimBHibees
15-12-2020, 09:49 PM
His passing was nearly always back to the centre back though. As i said he has the ability and has played well in flashes this season. Just feel he should show more swagger and confidence to dictate more games.

Very little movement in front of him also against a team packing their defence. Not his best game but did fine in a difficult game

The 90+2
15-12-2020, 09:50 PM
He wasn't the best but wasn't the worst this evening. Like Joey, hope he stays.

Eyrie
15-12-2020, 09:58 PM
Newell has been playing well enough for us that I want him to stay, but he was poor tonight and I was surprised that he stayed on when the substitutions were made.

The 90+2
15-12-2020, 10:02 PM
This hiding myth surfaces again.

Games up the pole.

J-C
15-12-2020, 10:08 PM
Don't think he hid, had a quiet game but not that bad.

B.H.F.C
15-12-2020, 10:36 PM
Actually agree with the bit about him not taking responsibility tonight. Just kind of floated along when we needed someone to grab it by the scruff of the neck (which Mallan did when he came on).

Andy74
15-12-2020, 10:39 PM
Probably been our best player this season imo.

Yep, poor thread. As someone else mentioned, if I was him thinking about a new contract here I wouldn’t bother.

CMurdoch
15-12-2020, 10:50 PM
Newell has been playing well enough for us that I want him to stay, but he was poor tonight and I was surprised that he stayed on when the substitutions were made.

The two decent substitutes we had were brought on. There was no other of the necessary quality to take Joe's place so he was left on. He did the defensive side of his role well enough so no real complaint from me. It was Mallan's day to be the hero. Pleased for him and Joe will be back to full flow soon.

ElginHibbie
15-12-2020, 10:50 PM
Underperformed tonight but having a good season so far

That could describe Newell, load of other players or Hibs in general, think this thread a bit over the top after we won the match

B.H.F.C
15-12-2020, 10:59 PM
Underperformed tonight but having a good season so far

That could describe Newell, load of other players or Hibs in general, think this thread a bit over the top after we won the match

When Newell has a good game there is generally a thread with the same posters telling us how good he is, how he’s our best player and so on.

When Newell has a poor game there is generally a thread with the posters who have the opposite opinion.

I think he’s just somewhere in the middle, personally.

basehibby
15-12-2020, 11:19 PM
Newell didn't have a great game - but will still be first on the team sheet for our central midfield on Saturday I think. He strikes a good balance between workrate and creativity and we need both in our midfield.

RyeSloan
15-12-2020, 11:25 PM
When Newell has a good game there is generally a thread with the same posters telling us how good he is, how he’s our best player and so on.

When Newell has a poor game there is generally a thread with the posters who have the opposite opinion.

I think he’s just somewhere in the middle, personally.

He’s inconsistent for sure.

Very capable player that on occasion shows real quality but also has a habit of turning in performances like tonight.

The term mercurial probably fits him quite well.

lord bunberry
16-12-2020, 07:02 AM
Yep, poor thread. As someone else mentioned, if I was him thinking about a new contract here I wouldn’t bother.
Seriously!! If a player decides he’s not signing a new contract based on a thread on an Internet forum where most people disagree with the person starting the thread, then he’s going to be moving every year. Ridiculous post, almost as ridiculous as this thread.

flash
16-12-2020, 07:04 AM
He has played well in a lot more than just flashes.

Brightside
16-12-2020, 07:16 AM
People just don’t watch football anymore eh. Just have an opinion and wait for a player to fit that description at times then jump on in. We’d have a thread on here saying Fabhino was wasteful if we signed him.

The Modfather
16-12-2020, 07:30 AM
People just don’t watch football anymore eh. Just have an opinion and wait for a player to fit that description at times then jump on in. We’d have a thread on here saying Fabhino was wasteful if we signed him.

I assume that’s as applicable for the folk that go over the top on how good he is as those that go over the top on how many ineffectual games he has. He’s a good player who could get better with quality like Campbell (or that type of player), and hopefully Magennis, beside him IMO, but he has too many games that pass him by in amongst the good ones.

Maybe McGinn set an unachievable benchmark in how I view midfielders. I hope Newell stays, but over the next 2 or 3 windows is transitioned into a quality squad player.

Clarence
16-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Thankfully we have a lot of options in midfield, so we can switch it up if someone is having an off day or if the opposition’s tactics are nullifying something that had previously worked for us.

MrRobot
16-12-2020, 08:20 AM
Great player but had a poor game last night.

Brightside
16-12-2020, 08:42 AM
I assume that’s as applicable for the folk that go over the top on how good he is as those that go over the top on how many ineffectual games he has. He’s a good player who could get better with quality like Campbell (or that type of player), and hopefully Magennis, beside him IMO, but he has too many games that pass him by in amongst the good ones.

Maybe McGinn set an unachievable benchmark in how I view midfielders. I hope Newell stays, but over the next 2 or 3 windows is transitioned into a quality squad player.

He has more good games than bad games. Thats the main point.

The Modfather
16-12-2020, 10:03 AM
He has more good games than bad games. Thats the main point.

I don’t think many would disagree with that, I certainly wouldn’t. I do think he has too many ineffectual games for his ability and needs to start taking games like last night (which I didn’t see) or St Johnstone at home (as examples) by the scruff of the neck. Until then I think it’s fair to describe him as a player who is good when a game is going well but less so when it isn’t. A good but slightly inconsistent player, no more or less IMO.

Andy74
16-12-2020, 10:41 AM
I don’t think many would disagree with that, I certainly wouldn’t. I do think he has too many ineffectual games for his ability and needs to start taking games like last night (which I didn’t see) or St Johnstone at home (as examples) by the scruff of the neck. Until then I think it’s fair to describe him as a player who is good when a game is going well but less so when it isn’t. A good but slightly inconsistent player, no more or less IMO.

When a game is going well he has been playing a part in having made that happen. Your posts sounds like he will only begin to play well when everything else is going well.

The Modfather
16-12-2020, 10:55 AM
When a game is going well he has been playing a part in having made that happen. Your posts sounds like he will only begin to play well when everything else is going well.

That’s not what I meant. I think when Hibs are playing well Newell plays well and is a big factor in why we are playing well. When the team, or the midfield, aren’t playing well I think he’s as culpable as anyone else. The St Johnstone game (which I saw) is one example. He wasn’t any worse than anyone else that night, but that’s not an endorsement either, that game passed him by same as the others. I’d like to see him take games, like St Johnstone (as an example of a game not going our way), by the scuff of the neck and turn the tide in our favour. Like McGinn could be the spark for the team to perform better than it had been. I’d like to see Newell do that, in his own way as he’s a different player to McGinn, as I think he has the ability to do it. That’s my reservation about Newell and what would separate him from just being a good player to one that we can build the midfield around IMO.

DaveF
16-12-2020, 11:00 AM

He was inconsistent at his last club. He's inconsistent here. And he'll be just as inconsistent at his next one.

It won't be because some internet punters are having a go now again which sways any decision and you know that fine well so I'd suggest your post is the poor one.

Hiber-nation
16-12-2020, 11:45 AM
He was inconsistent at his last club. He's inconsistent here. And he'll be just as inconsistent at his next one.

It won't be because some internet punters are having a go now again which sways any decision and you know that fine well so I'd suggest your post is the poor one.

Spot on. Some total nonsense spouted on here at the moment.

Kinross Hibee
16-12-2020, 12:04 PM

Not his greatest, but you must have been watching a different game from me. Drey Wrights performance last night (like most of his), was nothing short of pathetic. Can't believe we let slivka go in the summer and brought DW in (albeit he was brought in originally to fulfil a different position) but he is certainly not an upgrade and is an imposter that was below par for StJ last season. Get shot of him next summer and give F Murray the chance he deserves next season when he's back from loan! :flag:

jeffers
16-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Not his greatest, but you must have been watching a different game from me. Drey Wrights performance last night (like most of his), was nothing short of pathetic. Can't believe we let slivka go in the summer and brought DW in (albeit he was brought in originally to fulfil a different position) but he is certainly not an upgrade and is an imposter that was below par for StJ last season. Get shot of him next summer and give F Murray the chance he deserves next season when he's back from loan! :flag:

The critical comments Newell is receiving for last night’s performance is totally justified IMO. I don’t agree that he hid, but he certainly didn’t look interested and jogged about the park the majority of the game showing no real enthusiasm for the task in hand.

Your comments about Wright are accurate, the big difference for me though is I haven’t seen any poster claim he is our best player as I’ve seen regarding Newell (he wouldn’t even make my top 3.) If Newell is going to receive praise when he does well it’s only fair he receives criticism when he performs as he did last night.

superfurryhibby
16-12-2020, 12:28 PM

Slivka was a failure at Hibs. He had some good games, but not enough. Lots of chances to claim a regular start, didn’t do enough.

Not really sure why you would bother to highlight him and Wright in the same sentence though? I would also question the imposter nonsense, way too critical.

Equally, Fraser Murray. Not sure why he deserves a chance, he hasn’t done enough at Hibs or at Dunfermline to suggest to me that he’s ever going to make it at ER.

Fergus52
16-12-2020, 12:52 PM

Drey Wright has been nothing special but has shown some good moments, great cross for Doidge's goal at the weekend.

Played well against Rangers at home in a midfield 3 as well, I wouldn't write him off just yet and certainly wouldn't want to replace him with a player not good enough to start for Dunfermline.

Kinross Hibee
16-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Slivka was a failure at Hibs. He had some good games, but not enough. Lots of chances to claim a regular start, didn’t do enough.

Not really sure why you would bother to highlight him and Wright in the same sentence though? I would also question the imposter nonsense, way too critical.

Equally, Fraser Murray. Not sure why he deserves a chance, he hasn’t done enough at Hibs or at Dunfermline to suggest to me that he’s ever going to make it at ER.

My point is Wright is not an upgrade on Slivka, and I agree with you, Slivka was a squad player at best, leading me back to my point that Wright shouldn't be near our bench. Noted regarding F Murray, but again would rather him in the team over Wright.

Kinross Hibee
16-12-2020, 01:06 PM
Drey Wright has been nothing special but has shown some good moments, great cross for Doidge's goal at the weekend.

Played well against Rangers at home in a midfield 3 as well, I wouldn't write him off just yet and certainly wouldn't want to replace him with a player not good enough to start for Dunfermline.

Don't get the negativity towards F Murray, correct he doesn't start every week but I think it said last night he had 3 goals and 2 assists this season... It's often the 11 that finish a game that matters more than starts a game, last night prime example with Stevie Mallan replacing a very poor Wright.

Hibernian Verse
16-12-2020, 01:41 PM
Threads like this are frustrating. It reminds me of sitting in the pub listening to someone ramble about how a player isn't just running at his opposite number or passing it round him.

We aren't a 5 a side team that is out there to have fun and attack at all costs, we need to control games & keep the ball too in order to give us the best chance of winning.

If a player is frustrating you try and ask yourself why they are doing what they are. In Newell's case watch how Alloa packed players in 2 banks of 2 in the centre of their own half and you will understand why Hibs shifted the ball sideways constantly last night. Hibs were trying to move them side to side to create gaps between their midfield and defence by drawing players out of their central position.

I haven't played football at any level higher than Sunday league so forgive me if anyone else more qualified disagrees but it seemed quite obvious to me why we played how we did last night.

JimBHibees
16-12-2020, 01:50 PM
Threads like this are frustrating. It reminds me of sitting in the pub listening to someone ramble about how a player isn't just running at his opposite number or passing it round him.

We aren't a 5 a side team that is out there to have fun and attack at all costs, we need to control games & keep the ball too in order to give us the best chance of winning.

If a player is frustrating you try and ask yourself why they are doing what they are. In Newell's case watch how Alloa packed players in 2 banks of 2 in the centre of their own half and you will understand why Hibs shifted the ball sideways constantly last night. Hibs were trying to move them side to side to create gaps between their midfield and defence by drawing players out of their central position.

I haven't played football at any level higher than Sunday league so forgive me if anyone else more qualified disagrees but it seemed quite obvious to me why we played how we did last night.

Totally agree despite what a lot of fans think it is not easy to break through an organised team on a artificial surface especially one who is a goal ahead. It is about being patient moving off the ball and getting the passing crisp and sharp. Knocking the ball forward too early just gives up possession and it is so useful to have someone like Doidge who is a focal point despite his finishing not being the best. Newell was fine and moved the ball side to side as you say.

Hibernian Verse
16-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Totally agree despite what a lot of fans think it is not easy to break through an organised team on a artificial surface especially one who is a goal ahead. It is about being patient moving off the ball and getting the passing crisp and sharp. Knocking the ball forward too early just gives up possession and it is so useful to have someone like Doidge who is a focal point despite his finishing not being the best. Newell was fine and moved the ball side to side as you say.

It's hard for fans to be patient admittedly. It's too easy to say Team A is in Premiership, Team B is in Championship therefore Team A wins 4-0. Football doesn't work like that though as we know all too well.

Andy74
16-12-2020, 02:25 PM

Yep.

The needless stuff though are the comments about hiding, lack of interest, jogging about. Absolute nonsense and a really strange way to talk about any player never mind one of our better ones.