PDA

View Full Version : Stevie mallan

Coach Jon
15-12-2020, 08:56 PM
Footballer, best at the club.
Well Done again.

SChibs
15-12-2020, 08:59 PM
Great impact today. I feel he plays his best when coming off the bench. Not sure why though

CMurdoch
15-12-2020, 09:00 PM
Saved our ass tonight. Of that there is no doubt.

Vault Boy
15-12-2020, 09:02 PM
Great impact today. I feel he plays his best when coming off the bench. Not sure why though

I agree with this. I think his lack of pace and physicality, but abundance of technical skill lends itself well to playing against tired opposition. More space to exploit, less frantic pace in the middle of the park.

Well done Stevie. 👏

kaimendhibs
15-12-2020, 09:08 PM
Excellent footballer. Sick of the abuse he gets.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

wookie70
15-12-2020, 09:11 PM
Made the difference tonight and has been a big factor in us getting to the semi through the rounds. I agree that he struggles when the midfields are packed and he doesn't get the space to pick his passes. When he comes on later in games he is often a joy to watch. I can't remember seeing a player who strikes the ball so sweetly and has such a great range of passes.

Smartie
15-12-2020, 09:20 PM
Outstanding performance tonight but it has to sit within the context of him having put in far too many poor ones too.

You always feel there's a player in there and you always feel we might just be a tactical tweak away from finding the right role in the right team for him but it just hasn't happened.

Like Mellberg had done lately, he's made his point tonight and we should be thinking hard about getting him into that team.

He won the game for us tonight though and we should be hugely grateful because with the teams already out of the competition, it has given us an excellent chance of getting into a final and possibly winning this thing.

leithsansiro
15-12-2020, 09:26 PM
I think one of the main criticisms that goes Mallan’s way is that he can sometimes lack that bit of bite. He’s not going to run through brick walls for the team, but he is going to land the ball on a sixpence fairly consistently, provided the support around him is there. A bit like Allan, he needs someone around him that’ll do the tackling and the leg work to create him the space. The boy can pick a pass and hit the target consistently, but we just need to get the setup right for him to blossom. He doesn’t work in a 2 and he’s less effective from deep, so it does at times tactically limit when he can make a difference. However, 100% guarantee you that I’d rather have him as an option in the squad rather than not at all. Horses for courses and all that.

For tonight though, take a bow mate.

JohnM1875
15-12-2020, 09:26 PM
I've given Stevie a fair bit of stick at times, probably unfairly. I just think there's a player in there and wish he could be more consistent. But he really made the difference today and definitely deserved man of the match.

Won't be surprised or disappointed if he starts on Saturday

bingo70
15-12-2020, 09:29 PM
In a game against a team that was always likely to sit back for the second half and allow him to pick out passes it was the ideal game for him, and he did really well.

In a tight, scrappy premiership game against a team that would offer more of an attacking threat and you need everyone in midfield to dig in he’s not for me.

Credit to him for having a good attitude coming off the bench but I’m not sure a good 45 minutes against Alloa really proves the doubters wrong.

I’d have him in the team ahead of Wright at the weekend, offers more than him.

Hiber-nation
15-12-2020, 09:30 PM
Great squad player and changed the game but he's on the bench for a reason.

green day
15-12-2020, 09:32 PM
Great squad player and changed the game but he's on the bench for a reason.

Would rather Stevie Mallan was playing than Drey "why did we sign him again??" Wright.

147lothian
15-12-2020, 09:33 PM
SM must be in JR's thoughts after tonight's performance

Hiber-nation
15-12-2020, 09:35 PM
Would rather Stevie Mallan was playing than Drey "why did we sign him again??" Wright.

Oh definitely but it's a matter of where he plays. Wright was signed as a winger but I'm not sure what he is other than (so far) not good enough.

DJ HIBBY
15-12-2020, 09:36 PM
Oh definitely but it's a matter of where he plays. Wright was signed as a winger but I'm not sure what he is other than (so far) not good enough.

When he was moved to the wing, I said to my brother he needs to commit and take the full back on. A minute later he runs the ball out the park 😂

Magpie
15-12-2020, 09:38 PM
Good player who has helped us massively to get results over the years he’s been here. Wasn’t voted player of the year and players player of the year for no reason.

Won us the game tonight and I hope he starts our next game.

kaimendhibs
15-12-2020, 09:41 PM
Good player who has helped us massively to get results over the years he’s been here. Wasn’t voted player of the year and players player of the year for no reason.

Won us the game tonight and I hope he starts our next game.[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Shrekko
15-12-2020, 09:42 PM
Pleased for him and hopefully he does kick on as he clearly has ability and brings a level of production that only Scott Allan can match in terms of goals and assists.

I think it’s fair that people question his consistency or defensive attributes ...it’s when you get folk saying stuff like “he’s never a fitbaw player” that it’s just silly ignorant nonsense. Really strange that some of the fans have had it in for him from pretty early on but guess it”ll never change.

MWHIBBIES
15-12-2020, 09:44 PM
Good impact tonight. He's proving useful for league cup ties against poor sides. Needs to do way more in the league to merit some of the comments in this thread. The club has 10 better footballers than him.

hibee-boys
15-12-2020, 09:57 PM
Not Mallan’s biggest fan but he made the difference tonight. However, we need him influencing games for 90mins against premier league opposition not just turning it on against part time lower league teams in the cup. Until that happens jury’s still out for me. Hope he proves me wrong though.

The 90+2
15-12-2020, 10:12 PM
Mallan has the ability to make us good money in the future.

Key West
15-12-2020, 10:21 PM
There’s not a great deal of difference ability wise amongst our midfielders, an on form and consistent Mallan is probably our best player in that area. He suffered a real set back with a bad injury and is working his way back and it is a matter of games and time before he is playing at the level Jack Ross knows more than anybody that he can play.

Mr. Wonderful
15-12-2020, 10:24 PM
Good technical attributes and a good option to have available to us when we require to break down stuffy teams but he's poor in other games when we need more physicality and athleticism. It's no surprise his best games come against stuffy lower league sides.

Pretty Boy
15-12-2020, 10:31 PM
I thought both him and Magennis contributed positively when coming off the bench tonight.

Mallan is quite evidently a technically good player. He probably needs a player in there to do the more dogged stuff though. I'm not sure how that fits if we want the likes of him, Magennis, Newell, Boyle and Murphy on the park at the same time though. Something has to give and at the moment he is kicking his heels on the bench.

He took his chance tonight and will have put himself in the managers thoughts for the weekend.

dphibs
15-12-2020, 10:38 PM
Heart of a mouse. That’s his biggest fault and that’s why for me he’s not good enough for Hibs. Championship player at best.

basehibby
15-12-2020, 10:42 PM
He's given Ross plenty food for thought with that performance and well done to him as he was the difference for us tonight.

SPL matches are a different type of challenge though and that's the real challenge for Stevie Mallan - nailing down a regular starting slot. We all know he has talent but he's blown hot and cold in the nitty gritty league games where he's often been outworked and has failed to shine.

Football is a squad game though and it's good to have technical players like Mallan to add to the mix along with more steady workhorse types like Gogic and Hallberg. Getting the midfield mix right will be key to getting the points vs Dundee Utd on Sat - I'm pretty sure Stevie will feature but may have to settle for off the bench again.

oneone73
15-12-2020, 10:43 PM
Good technical attributes and a good option to have available to us when we require to break down stuffy teams but he's poor in other games when we need more physicality and athleticism. It's no surprise his best games come against stuffy lower league sides.

And against Celtc.

oneone73
15-12-2020, 10:44 PM
Heart of a mouse. That’s his biggest fault and that’s why for me he’s not good enough for Hibs. Championship player at best.

Nonsense imo

Steve88
15-12-2020, 10:46 PM
Move on and free up a wage for someone else.

dphibs
15-12-2020, 10:50 PM
Nonsense imo

That’s your opinion which your entitled to but in mine it’s definitely not. Our best last two performances didn’t have him involved until the game was won. When he first came to us I was excited that we had signed a top player. What a disappointment he’s been. Hopefully get rid of him in January along with Wright.

oneone73
15-12-2020, 10:55 PM
That’s your opinion which your entitled to but in mine it’s definitely not. Our best last two performances didn’t have him involved until the game was won. When he first came to us I was excited that we had signed a top player. What a disappointment he’s been. Hopefully get rid of him in January along with Wright.
It was the heart of a mouse crack I objected to. I've never seen him hide. Not everything comes off for him, but he's a trier.

keep the faith
15-12-2020, 10:57 PM

Classy....

dphibs
15-12-2020, 11:01 PM
It was the heart of a mouse crack I objected to. I've never seen him hide. Not everything comes off for him, but he's a trier.

I could try as well but that wouldn’t make me good enough. If we want to progress and be contenders in league and cup competitions we need better than him. As I said championship player at best.

Shrekko
15-12-2020, 11:02 PM

Is that the same Wright that started in 'our best last 2 performances' then? How does that argument work?

Utter nonsense about Mallan having the heart of a mouse too. He's been inconsistent but when he gets brought back in after being dropped he always tries to positively influence the game- heartless players don't do that. How a guy with his amount of goal involvements can be deemed such a huge disappointment is anyone's guess. He has his weaknesses -like most players we have, but some amount of rubbish has been spouted about him by a few fans.

dphibs
15-12-2020, 11:09 PM
Is that the same Wright that started in 'our best last 2 performances' then? How does that argument work?

Utter nonsense about Mallan having the heart of a mouse too. He's been inconsistent but when he gets brought back in after being dropped he always tries to positively influence the game- heartless players don't do that. How a guy with his amount of goal involvements can be deemed such a huge disappointment is anyone's guess. He has his weaknesses -like most players we have, but some amount of rubbish has been spouted about him by a few fans.

As fans we have different options about players and I’ve made mine. Maybe some fans will settle for mediocrity

Unseen work
15-12-2020, 11:11 PM
Oh the heart of a mouse chat because he doesn’t 2 foot everyone now and again.

I actually think he tried hard defensively, closing people down and reading the game....he’s just not very good at it.

On the ball though he’s one of the best technical players we have. This issue we have is that we’ve been really good in a 442 this season which just doesn’t suit him.

I’m also not convinced he’s an attacking midfielder as most of his best play is his quick range of passing.

He'd also walk into any team out with the current top 4 and be one of there better players, chat of championship level is nonsense.

The 90+2
15-12-2020, 11:16 PM
I could try as well but that wouldn’t make me good enough. If we want to progress and be contenders in league and cup competitions we need better than him. As I said championship player at best.

He would be the best player for every single side in the championship and would get a game in 75% of the teams in the non-diddy leagues. That can't be championship at best.

The 90+2
15-12-2020, 11:17 PM
As fans we have different options about players and I’ve made mine. Maybe some fans will settle for mediocrity

We are third in the league and the player in question just put us in the Semi final (again) do you not remember Williamson then the late 2000s to mid 2010? :confused:

Magpie
15-12-2020, 11:53 PM

Fair enough, I’m more than happy for players to have the heart of a mouse if they have the skill to give us a better chance of winning trophies.

Magpie
16-12-2020, 12:07 AM
He would be the best player for every single side in the championship and would get a game in 75% of the teams in the non-diddy leagues. That can't be championship at best.

Stevie Mallan has 88 appearances in the Scottish Premiership with 15 goals and 17 assists.

Scott Allan has 80 appearances in the Scottish Premiership with 6 goals and 21 assists.

Mallan has played 6,520 minutes averaging a goal every 434.66 minutes and an assist every 383.52 minutes.

Allan has played 4,662 minutes averaging a goal every 777 minutes and an assist every 222 minutes.

Allan is arguably our best player and Mallan’s stats back him up to be a good player to that comparison.

Michael
16-12-2020, 12:19 AM
He's a great player to have on the squad. Not everyone needs to be a superstar.

He can come on and change a game, scores goals, creates. He's an impact player.

theonlywayisup
16-12-2020, 12:47 AM
Typical Hibs.net reaction. Couple of good games and the player is made out to be a superstar and deserves a new contract. Couple of poor games and the player is made out to be useless and we should get rid off.

I've seen enough of Malian and Wright to convince me that they are good footballers, but are inconsistent. They'll have days when they look very good and others when they don't. I suppose that's why they are at Hibs and Hibs will be the highest level that they'll play at.

Scooter
16-12-2020, 05:56 AM
Stevie Mallan is probably the most frustrating player at hibs. You can see the fantastic ability he has maybe the best player we've had with that range of passing since boozy?

JimBHibees
16-12-2020, 06:05 AM

Agree great player to have in the squad as last night showed to a tee.

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2020, 06:29 AM
Stevie Mallan is probably the most frustrating player at hibs. You can see the fantastic ability he has maybe the best player we've had with that range of passing since boozy?

Sorry, have to disagree with you there mate, I know you are entitled to your opinion but thats Way over the top IMO. Boozy and about 15 others showed it consistently against good sides in that time IMO. Mallan never has really IMO.

Feel free to disagree, thats what its all about :agree:

Nicho87
16-12-2020, 06:45 AM
One half against Alloa won’t merit starting for me. Mallan looks slow and often off the pace to me

flash
16-12-2020, 06:47 AM
Christ. Way over the top. Boozy and about 15 others showed it consistently against good sides in that time. Mallan never has really.

The usual respect of others opinions on display.

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2020, 06:57 AM
The usual respect of others opinions on display.

Of course. The fact I posted it isn't enough to show its only my opinion will edit accordingly.

Why did you single me out and not the 10 or so others who have disagreed with the OP and other posts in the thread?

flash
16-12-2020, 07:02 AM
Of course. The fact I posted it isn't enough to show its only my opinion will edit accordingly.

Why did you single me out and not the 10 or so others who have disagreed with the OP and other posts in the thread?

Because of the way you ridiculed the post you were replying to.

scoopyboy
16-12-2020, 07:03 AM
Stevie Mallan has 88 appearances in the Scottish Premiership with 15 goals and 17 assists.

Scott Allan has 80 appearances in the Scottish Premiership with 6 goals and 21 assists.

Mallan has played 6,520 minutes averaging a goal every 434.66 minutes and an assist every 383.52 minutes.

Allan has played 4,662 minutes averaging a goal every 777 minutes and an assist every 222 minutes.

Allan is arguably our best player and Mallan’s stats back him up to be a good player to that comparison.

Very interesting that.

Compares favourably to SA but we realise he isn't the same player.

Those stats alone make me think we should be holding on to him, maybe not a guaranteed starter but has a role to play.

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2020, 07:06 AM
Because of the way you ridiculed the post you were replying to.

I just think that's a crazy thing to say. I said that. I didn't ridicule the poster or the post.

RossScott1991
16-12-2020, 07:06 AM
Has good technical ability. Always feel physicality wise he seems to lack to be able to be a regular starter and impose himself in a run of fixtures. He can go one week looking like Pirlo then next again he’s Brian Kerr.

He’s a good player to have in squad , Probaly does his best damage when off the bench and games already settled down. His set pieces and range of passing is more suited to later stages of matches imho. He’s one id keep. Certainly over likes of Wright

flash
16-12-2020, 07:07 AM
I just think that's a crazy thing to say. I said that. I didn't ridicule the poster or the post.

No worries forget what I said.

Northernhibee
16-12-2020, 07:07 AM

We did progress and are still a contender in the competition because of him last night, really not sure what your point is?

GreenCastle
16-12-2020, 07:26 AM
I can’t believe folk are saying not good enough?

He comes on and plays a major part to win us the game after being 1-0 down.

He’s good enough to be in the squad at Hibs and if he hadn’t come on and done that we may have had another player come on and make no impact and we would be out the cup.

The bigger question is why is our midfield still an issue. We need more in the middle - energy and a player who drives past opposition players.

Mallan did more in 40 mins than some others so surely folk can just say well done and glad he saved us.

Hallberg has played well last few games so deserved to start. Last night he wasn’t at same level but others struggled too. I’m glad we have some options but still ideally need to strengthen.

Bostonhibby
16-12-2020, 07:27 AM
I've always been a fan, but then again I was a big fan of Ally Macleod[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

J-C
16-12-2020, 07:40 AM
Not having this heart if a mouse pi sh, big difference in bottling out of challenges and just not being that good at tackling, if you want heart of a mouse look at Vela.

Mallan is one of the best technical players we have, good vision and chips in with goals and assists.

lucky
16-12-2020, 07:43 AM
He’s not half as bad as some are saying he’s is, he does blow hot and cold but last night regardless of the opposition he helped Hibs win. We’ve played poorly in nearly every LC game this season but find ourselves in the semi final again. But lots of fans just want to have a pop. Cup football is all about winning

Booked4Being-Ugly
16-12-2020, 08:30 AM

Mallan is up there with Scott Allan and those stats back it up.

His detractors see what they want to see as last night proved. Some cant even bring themselves round to applaud his contribution last night. I doubt some of them even saw the game.

Scooter
16-12-2020, 08:30 AM
Sorry, have to disagree with you there mate, I know you are entitled to your opinion but thats Way over the top IMO. Boozy and about 15 others showed it consistently against good sides in that time IMO. Mallan never has really IMO.

That's cool mate I dont care. I agree he doesnt do it consistently that's why I said he was frustrating.

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2020, 09:12 AM
That's cool mate I dont care. I agree he doesnt do it consistently that's why I said he was frustrating.

There is ability there no doubt. I just think it's all technical, zero metal attributes like positioning for example. As frustrating a player I've ever seen.

Brightside
16-12-2020, 09:21 AM
a good squad player who can make a difference when he comes on. He's not ****, he's not brilliant. Just like the vast majority of our squad that have got us up to 2nd place and another semi final. :confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-12-2020, 09:38 AM
The only person who stops Mallan being a regular first team pick, is himself. Brilliant last night, but no guarantee that he will deliver the same in the next game. You can say that about any player I suppose, but this label seems to sticking to him and only he can take it off.

Brightside
16-12-2020, 09:42 AM

Boozy had plenty of poor games.

Northernhibee
16-12-2020, 10:09 AM
The only person who stops Mallan being a regular first team pick, is himself. Brilliant last night, but no guarantee that he will deliver the same in the next game. You can say that about any player I suppose, but this label seems to sticking to him and only he can take it off.
The thing is if Stevie Mallan could replicate his absolute best form every game then he’d be at a similar level or higher than John McGinn - at his best he’s unplayable.

Even off form his danger from anywhere within 30 yards forced an opposition player to close him down and although he’s needed replaced when neutered like that, it still creates space for other players.

He’s a good player but his inconsistency keeps him from being a top top player, you’re quite right.

Smartie
16-12-2020, 10:10 AM
There is ability there no doubt. I just think it's all technical, zero metal attributes like positioning for example. As frustrating a player I've ever seen.

He drives me mad.

If he was plain crap you could simply cut him loose and get rid.

Just as I'm arriving back at the "he's crap" opinion he pulls a performance like last night out of the bag, and he's done it in the past too.

That was a top performance last night, he dug us out of a big hole. Easy to belittle it in so many ways, but when we've actually won trophies we've needed certain figures to knuckle down at key moments. Last night he turned "knocked out the cup at Alloa" into "Hampden".

It's always easier said than done but if we could just find a way to get that out of him more often then he'd be one of the greatest assets in our squad.

The problem is - do you trust him not to go missing and find we're losing the midfield again if picked on Saturday? I don't know if I do.

Really good performances last night though. Really good.

Smartie
16-12-2020, 10:15 AM
a good squad player who can make a difference when he comes on. He's not ****, he's not brilliant. Just like the vast majority of our squad that have got us up to 2nd place and another semi final. :confused:

See, I think he's **** and brilliant.

He's not a 7/10 plodder who you know what you're going to get with.

He's either winning games and contributing vital goals and assists or a major part in howling team midfield performances. There's rarely any middle ground with him.

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2020, 10:22 AM
Boozy had plenty of poor games.

Nothing like the percentage Mallan has had imo

SaulGoodman
16-12-2020, 10:29 AM

We progressed in a cup competition last night, arguably thanks to him.

Hakim Sar
16-12-2020, 10:36 AM
The opinions on this thread tell you all you need to know about Stevie Mallan. A divisive player who can easily do the sublime, and also hardly kick a ball for a month.

If only we had John McGinn behind him again. I feel that had the making of a great partnership in midfield.

Did mallan not win player of the year 2 years ago? I think if you get him in a playmaker role slightly advanced of midfield he can be quite effective. Doesn’t do it nearly enough right now but I’d keep him around.

Keith_M
16-12-2020, 10:38 AM
The opinions on this thread tell you all you need to know about Stevie Mallan. A divisive player who can easily do the sublime, and also hardly kick a ball for a month.

If only we had John McGinn behind him again. I feel that had the making of a great partnership in midfield.

Did mallan not win player of the year 2 years ago? I think if you get him in a playmaker role slightly advanced of midfield he can be quite effective. Doesn’t do it nearly enough right now but I’d keep him around.

I mentioned that before but was told it was only because we'd had a crap season.

There's just no pleasing some people.

Partyraiser
16-12-2020, 10:54 AM
Mallan plays best when he doesn't have to carry out defensive work. For me his best position is behind the strikers, meaning you cant use him properly in a 442

Key West
16-12-2020, 10:59 AM
Mallan is a player with undoubted class and like Scott Allan has the imagination to assist players in scoring and being amongst the goals himself, he is definitely not just a squad player.

The Modfather
16-12-2020, 11:25 AM
He drives me mad.

Just as I'm arriving back at the "he's crap" opinion he pulls a performance like last night out of the bag, and he's done it in the past too.

That was a top performance last night, he dug us out of a big hole. Easy to belittle it in so many ways, but when we've actually won trophies we've needed certain figures to knuckle down at key moments. Last night he turned "knocked out the cup at Alloa" into "Hampden".

It's always easier said than done but if we could just find a way to get that out of him more often then he'd be one of the greatest assets in our squad.

The problem is - do you trust him not to go missing and find we're losing the midfield again if picked on Saturday? I don't know if I do.

I think Mallan would be a very good player for someone like St Johnstone or Killmarnock where they can build the team around him. Essentially getting two grafters in the middle and almost give him a free role. He would look like a player we should sign, but he’s not quite good enough or consistent enough to be the main man to build a midfield around for a team to consistently compete for 3rd or 4th. IMO.

Shrekko
16-12-2020, 12:11 PM

This is why the comments about “getting rid’ are so ridiculous.

I think most of us agree he’s frustratingly inconsistent but why on earth would an SPL club just cut him loose when they don’t have to? If he’s having a poor game he can be subbed but we all know he’s a potential match winner who can do things few others can.

Some people just don’t like him. I’ve never heard someone critiqued so much for points your average fan rarely notices. We have other midfielders who aren’t exactly great defensively but you never hear about it.

number9dream
16-12-2020, 12:35 PM
A good performance should be rewarded, so if he does start on Saturday he then needs to deliver another good display to stay in the team. Simple as that.
But if he gets shunted out wide to accommodate Nisbet coming back it makes it a bit harder and we can't really have him and Newell in the middle in a 4-4-2 apart from games against exceptionally weak opponents.
Maybe Nisbet could drift wide left in the absence of Murphy and that would allow Mallan to play centrally but in front of Newell & Hallberg / Magennis / Gogic.

wookie70
16-12-2020, 02:13 PM
He has certainly been inconsistent lately and last season but then selection and injury have played a part in that as well as his performance. He wasn't that inconsistent the year he was player of the year and PPOTY. That tells me he has it in him, in the right role, to start and be a mainstay. The players around him will be a determining factor as will what formation and style we play. With Boyle a certain starter and the likelihood of 2 up front I doubt Stevie will get too many starts. He is still a very useful squad player though and will contribute to our success as he did last night

HibeeHibernian4
16-12-2020, 02:32 PM
Having an intense disliking of Mallan is one of the biggest hallmarks of the welts in our support. He's a good player.

"GET A MIDFIELDER WHO CAN SCORE GOALS."

"NAW NO LIKE THAT."

The 90+2
16-12-2020, 02:59 PM
He drives me mad.

Fantastic post. Obviously I agree wholeheartedly.

Carheenlea
16-12-2020, 03:20 PM
Stevie Mallan gets a thread when he has poor game and a thread when he has a good game.

Has there been a Hibs player who’s performance game to game has been forensically examined in such detail?

LeithMike
16-12-2020, 03:25 PM
The thing is if Stevie Mallan could replicate his absolute best form every game then he’d be at a similar level or higher than John McGinn - at his best he’s unplayable.

Even off form his danger from anywhere within 30 yards forced an opposition player to close him down and although he’s needed replaced when neutered like that, it still creates space for other players.

He’s a good player but his inconsistency keeps him from being a top top player, you’re quite right.I'm not sure I've ever disagreed more with a post. McGinn and Mallan are completely different players and are incomparable. One could play central midfield at any level while the other has a for more limited skillset and only really stands out against inferior opposition. By all means Mallan can kick a football but he lacks the athleticism for top level football.

I always hear that he is more suited to an attacking role but you still need athleticism to find space against good teams and I still dont think he's got the ability to beat a man that you need for that position. With Hibs his best games have come on the right side of midfield where defensive cover is provided by the full back and where he can cross the ball without beating a man (a bit like Beckham without the work rate).

Unfortunately, including him in the starting 11 while maybe bringing some great goals and assists significantly detracts from the overall team.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

mjhibby
16-12-2020, 04:45 PM
All part of the managers job in picking the right squad for each particular game. We have had a tough run of games recently and nobody is immuned to having a poor game. When Man City can’t beat West Brom at home it shows how hard it is to be consistent. I do admit though we don’t have enough players like Paul McGinn who is a 7/8 out of 10 player every week. If any player was a guaranteed 8/9 out of 10 player he wouldn’t be at hibs. Let’s just enjoy the good days as the bad ones will come along for sure.

NOLA
16-12-2020, 08:40 PM
Best ****ger at the club allegedly [emoji23] along with porto [emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacomo
16-12-2020, 10:33 PM
This feels similar to the arguments we used to have about Dean Shiels. Technically a very good player but how does he fit into the team?

Best for me as part of a midfield 3 or as others have said as an impact sub. But I’m very happy he’s part of the squad - we often bemoan the lack of goal scoring midfielders and he is one.

kaimendhibs
16-12-2020, 11:04 PM
Having an intense disliking of Mallan is one of the biggest hallmarks of the welts in our support. He's a good player.

"NAW NO LIKE THAT."[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

LaMotta
16-12-2020, 11:44 PM

"NAW NO LIKE THAT."

:agree::agree::agree:

MWHIBBIES
17-12-2020, 05:59 AM

"NAW NO LIKE THAT."
I don't see anyone with an intense dislike of him.

If you are speaking about me, I certainly dont. I just don't rate him.

JammyDoidger
17-12-2020, 06:08 AM
When he first came you were expecting him to score most weeks. Boys a player, just need to get the best out of him. There's something in me that thinks he would be good left side of a 4-2-3-1 type formation, picking up the sort of areas deeks used to pop up in, cutting in on that right foot if we had an attacking full back to go past him. Ain't going to happen but I think it could suit him.

Mr. Wonderful
17-12-2020, 06:29 AM

"NAW NO LIKE THAT."

He doesn't score enough to justify ignoring the negatives to his game and especially for someone with such a good right foot. Can't remember when he last banged in a free kick, for instance.. And that's meant to be a speciality of his.

So far the majority of his good games (ever) for us have come against lower league sides and that's not just this season

Smartie
17-12-2020, 07:56 AM
He doesn't score enough to justify ignoring the negatives to his game and especially for someone with such a good right foot. Can't remember when he last banged in a free kick, for instance.. And that's meant to be a speciality of his.

So far the majority of his good games (ever) for us have come against lower league sides and that's not just this season

He’s also had a couple of good games against Celtic - a team more likely to be worried about their own game and allow him time and space to play.

It’s the run of the mill games against Premier league teams who press hard and try to stop you playing that he struggles the most in.

HibeeHibernian4
17-12-2020, 08:17 AM
I don't see anyone with an intense dislike of him.

If you are speaking about me, I certainly dont. I just don't rate him.

Wasn’t speaking about you. Whoever it was who said “heart of a mouse” is more who I had in mind. Typical of the sort of nonsense you expect to hear in the pub and/or being shouted behind you in the East.

FilipinoHibs
17-12-2020, 08:29 AM
Wasn’t speaking about you. Whoever it was who said “heart of a mouse” is more who I had in mind. Typical of the sort of nonsense you expect to hear in the pub and/or being shouted behind you in the East.

Too often he is brushed aside by the opposition and it is like playing with a man down. Against Alloa was much more committed and matched with his skill he was our match winner. Sure the coaching team have been working on his weaknesses

MWHIBBIES
17-12-2020, 08:36 AM

I agree, that is a nonsense comment. That and the idea that players hide should just be ignored. Utter rubbish.

LeithMike
17-12-2020, 09:12 AM
I agree, that is a nonsense comment. That and the idea that players hide should just be ignored. Utter rubbish.While the heart of a mouse comment is inappropriate, in all my years playing and watching football, its clear that some players dont show for the ball when things dont go well (not surprising given the pressure involved and vitriol thst can be directed at them from fans, management and other players).

Players can "hide" in different ways. I certainly recall watching a player in the late noughties who was a great runner bit when things were going badly for the team, I certainly took the perception that he was making himself looking busy by running up and down but just kept running into crowded areas rather than space to avoid getting the ball.

I am pretty sure that no fan dislikes any of our players and want them all to do well but it doesnt mean we should blindly commend them. Its tiring reading some of the above posts that strongly criticise our fans if they dont rate a player - to me that polarised and distorted view is more of an exampke of the behavior referred to above.

Shrekko
17-12-2020, 09:38 AM
While the heart of a mouse comment is inappropriate, in all my years playing and watching football, its clear that some players dont show for the ball when things dont go well (not surprising given the pressure involved and vitriol thst can be directed at them from fans, management and other players).

Players can "hide" in different ways. I certainly recall watching a player in the late noughties who was a great runner bit when things were going badly for the team, I certainly took the perception that he was making himself looking busy by running up and down but just kept running into crowded areas rather than space to avoid getting the ball.

I am pretty sure that no fan dislikes any of our players and want them all to do well but it doesnt mean we should blindly commend them. Its tiring reading some of the above posts that strongly criticise our fans if they dont rate a player - to me that polarised and distorted view is more of an exampke of the behavior referred to above.

Agree with the first 2 paragraphs- I've heard players themselves talk about how you can 'hide' when low on confidence without it being obvious.

Last paragraph I disagree with totally. It's clear that some fans just plainly dislike certain players- they don't get vile unwarranted personal abuse simply because some fans 'dont rate' their footballing abilities. I think reasonable people can accept fans have differing opinions about how good a player is but there's nothing wrong with not wanting our own players being downright abused. Nobody is asking for players to be 'blindly commended'. Don't know if you look at social media but some of the abuse being directly aimed at players is ridiculous- does somebody who feels the need to directly abuse somebody not dislike them? They're actually making a point of doing it!

It's a lovely thing in theory to say that no fan doesn't want every player in their team to do well... it's just not true though, and it's been proved time and time again.

scoopyboy
17-12-2020, 09:43 AM
While the heart of a mouse comment is inappropriate, in all my years playing and watching football, its clear that some players dont show for the ball when things dont go well (not surprising given the pressure involved and vitriol thst can be directed at them from fans, management and other players).

The one I notice is when defenders aren't playing particularly well they turn their back on the goalkeeper when he is in possession of the ball.

When playing well they look for the goalie to throw them it.

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2020, 09:53 AM
As usual, player plays well, player gets praised. The reason he's not played much for us, is he's not done what he did do on Tuesday night regularly enough for the manager to play him. If he did what he did more often, he'd et more starts.

LeithMike
17-12-2020, 10:02 AM
Agree with the first 2 paragraphs- I've heard players themselves talk about how you can 'hide' when low on confidence without it being obvious.

Last paragraph I disagree with totally. It's clear that some fans just plainly dislike certain players- they don't get vile unwarranted personal abuse simply because some fans 'dont rate' their footballing abilities. I think reasonable people can accept fans have differing opinions about how good a player is but there's nothing wrong with not wanting our own players being downright abused. Nobody is asking for players to be 'blindly commended'. Don't know if you look at social media but some of the abuse being directly aimed at players is ridiculous- does somebody who feels the need to directly abuse somebody not dislike them? They're actually making a point of doing it!

It's a lovely thing in theory to say that no fan doesn't want every player in their team to do well... it's just not true though, and it's been proved time and time again.Fair comment re the last paragraph. I know fans aim a lot of abuse at players and dont mean to play that down. Generally though I dont think this comes from dislike (unless coming from a team we dont like) but through not rating their ability. Im pretty sure all (or at least most) fans can be won round by performances. Just look at Scott Allan. Ive never seen a player more disliked by the Hibs fans prior to signing on loan and completely adored by the end. If Stevie Mallan were to put in performances like Scott Allan then I doubt there would be many still critical of him. Saying that, I appreciate there are roles in a team that fans wont see the benefit of (but that's not generally a goal scoring midfielder).

In my view a lot of fans may be blinded by goals and assists when it comes to see the value of a midfielder.

jacomo
17-12-2020, 10:08 AM
The one I notice is when defenders aren't playing particularly well they turn their back on the goalkeeper when he is in possession of the ball.

When playing well they look for the goalie to throw them it.

We do have a few in our squad who are prone to hiding from the ball at times.

Jack is talking them up and trying to build their confidence, and it seems to be working. But it’s hard to forget a player who doesn’t seem to want the ball.

By the way, I’ve never seen Mallan hide, he’s just not a combative type of midfielder.

LeithMike
17-12-2020, 10:47 AM

When playing well they look for the goalie to throw them it.Exactly. Its one of those footballing myths that no player ever gives less than 100%. When confidence is low a lot of players will rein their game in and try and avoid making obvious mistakes. Its human nature. Its a rare breed that keep showing for the ball when things arent going well or they are having a bad run of form.

J-C
17-12-2020, 11:03 AM
As usual, player plays well, player gets praised. The reason he's not played much for us, is he's not done what he did do on Tuesday night regularly enough for the manager to play him. If he did what he did more often, he'd et more starts.
Could say that about most of our players, inconsistency is why they're at Hibs and not at a higher level, you get the odd one or two who are 7-8 out of 10 every game but they don't stay too long, McGinn a perfect example.

Key West
17-12-2020, 11:04 AM
Fans will always express their opinions and there’s nothing wrong with that if it is done constructively, every player has weaknesses and Mallan is not different from any other player in that respect. I do believe however that when a player is not rated rather than disliked every mistake is scrutinised in order for the critics to justify their judgements and the attributes are ignored. Every player at Easter Road is on a journey to become the best they can be at their profession, unfortunately most of them will not realise their full potential when they are playing here but we can at least try to be positive and enjoy their best moments as they try to build a career and contribute to our progression as a club, there are some players that I have doubts about but I certainly don’t want them to fail and I do recognise how difficult the game can be at this level.

MWHIBBIES
17-12-2020, 11:55 AM
Could say that about most of our players, inconsistency is why they're at Hibs and not at a higher level, you get the odd one or two who are 7-8 out of 10 every game but they don't stay too long, McGinn a perfect example.

There are plenty who are much more consistent than Mallan who have been here for years imo. Hanlon, Stevenson, Marciano, Boyle.

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2020, 01:27 PM
Not really, we have core of players who play most weeks, it's only youngsters and players like Mallan, Hallberg who fill in when needed, and obviously injured players coming back like McGennis. When everyone is fit, Mallan does not feature, and the reason for that is his inconsistency.

Dashing Bob S
17-12-2020, 01:50 PM
There are plenty who are much more consistent than Mallan who have been here for years imo. Hanlon, Stevenson, Marciano, Boyle.

Hanlon plays himself into long consistent seams of form, but if he has a lay off through injury or start of the season, he can be poor for games on end until he plays himself back in.

Stevenson is consistent enough now but he had to work hard to get the level he’s now at.

Boyle tries hard every game but he has ineffectual games too.

Centre Hawf
17-12-2020, 02:03 PM
I thought Mallan was exactly what we needed the other night. He was good on the ball and he kept it moving quickly by changing the play from side to side and Alloa clearly didn't like that. But lets not get too excited here, there is a reason why he didn't start that game and it's because on previous showing he hasn't done any of the stuff he done against Alloa to merit a start. There is clearly a good football player in there. Perhaps we still do not set up to get the best out of him, perhaps it's the level of opposition he consistently plays against.

Well done to Stevie on that performance but lets not pretend he ran the show against a mid table Premiership team or anything and now all of a sudden he's proved all of his doubters wrong, he came on as a late sub against a mid to bottom end Championship team. He's had a few great performances in the League Cup this season against that type of opposition and even lower, but we are still yet to see much of that find its way into his league performances over the course of this calendar year.

Build on this Stevie and get yourself into the Starting 11.

Mr. Wonderful
17-12-2020, 02:44 PM
I thought Mallan was exactly what we needed the other night. He was good on the ball and he kept it moving quickly by changing the play from side to side and Alloa clearly didn't like that. But lets not get too excited here, there is a reason why he didn't start that game and it's because on previous showing he hasn't done any of the stuff he done against Alloa to merit a start. There is clearly a good football player in there. Perhaps we still do not set up to get the best out of him, perhaps it's the level of opposition he consistently plays against.

Well done to Stevie on that performance but lets not pretend he ran the show against a mid table Premiership team or anything and now all of a sudden he's proved all of his doubters wrong, he came on as a late sub against a mid to bottom end Championship team. He's had a few great performances in the League Cup this season against that type of opposition and even lower, but we are still yet to see much of that find its way into his league performances over the course of this calendar year.

In a nutshell! It's perfectly possible to criticise a player for their performances and ask for better without having an agenda against the player and I think some on here forget that at times

Smartie
17-12-2020, 03:02 PM

I'd thought Mallan had looked pretty lively coming off the bench once or twice a month or so back, then when he got his start he went missing again.

The chance he got wasn't a great one for him though - in a central midfield 2 against St Johnstone, a game we'd expect to win but against a wily opponent who we shouldn't really feel in any way entitled to win against - he was hung out to dry a bit.

For me he's still an impact player at the moment, another couple of performances like the other night and we can consider him for a start.

I still think that unless we built the team around him we'd get murdered in midfield with him in it, and there are still other players we have who are more "undroppable" than him who I'd rather see us accommodate - such as Nisbet.

Centre Hawf
17-12-2020, 03:09 PM
I'd thought Mallan had looked pretty lively coming off the bench once or twice a month or so back, then when he got his start he went missing again.

The chance he got wasn't a great one for him though - in a central midfield 2 against St Johnstone, a game we'd expect to win but against a wily opponent who we shouldn't really feel in any way entitled to win against - he was hung out to dry a bit.

For me he's still an impact player at the moment, another couple of performances like the other night and we can consider him for a start.

I still think that unless we built the team around him we'd get murdered in midfield with him in it, and there are still other players we have who are more "undroppable" than him who I'd rather see us accommodate - such as Nisbet.

I think there lies the problem though that we have a squad of players that Jack Ross feels suits his desired system. Then we have Stevie Mallan who needs the team built around him to make up for shortcomings or to get the best out of him. And that's not really a criticism of Mallan because you are the type of player that you are and it can be hard to change that, few are capable of reinventing themselves.

But if Mallan isn't capable of playing in the system we're finding success with at that time, then he's only ever going to be a bench option for games we're struggling in and need to change things up.

HibeeHibernian4
17-12-2020, 04:35 PM

Stevenson is consistently worse than Mallan's average standard in just about every game he's ever played for Hibs.

Peevemor
17-12-2020, 04:37 PM
Stevenson is consistently worse than Mallan's average standard in just about every game he's ever played for Hibs.That's probably the daftest thing I've read on here in a long time.

Centre Hawf
17-12-2020, 04:37 PM
Stevenson is consistently worse than Mallan's average standard in just about every game he's ever played for Hibs.

You're at it. The man who has been labelled "Mr Consistent" is consistently worse than a man that can't hold down a start place in our team?

staunchhibby
17-12-2020, 04:44 PM
What a load of rubbish

HibeeHibernian4
17-12-2020, 04:45 PM
That's probably the daftest thing I've read on here in a long time.

You're at it. The man who has been labelled "Mr Consistent" is consistently worse than a man that can't hold down a start place in our team?

Lewis Stevenson can still still be consistent at his own level while not being at or even close to the level of other players.

In player ratings terms:

Stevenson consistently plays at a 6/10. Sometimes it's a 7/10, sometimes it's a 5/10. Rarely it's an 8/10 or a 4/10. Very rarely it's a 9/10 or a 3/10. I don't think I can remember a single game he's ever played that's been 10/10 or 0/10. You get the picture.

Mallan might be "inconsistent", yet his best is clearly several levels higher than Stevenson could ever produce. Partly that's down to positions and Mallan having more opportunities to produce magic. But then you see the modern full back like Andy Robertson or James Tavernier (dozens of assists and a handful of goals a season) and left backs can't be expected to get away with not contributing going forward anymore.

Peevemor
17-12-2020, 04:49 PM
Lewis Stevenson can still still be consistent at his own level while not being at or even close to the level of other players.

In player ratings terms:

Stevenson consistently plays at a 6/10. Sometimes it's a 7/10, sometimes it's a 5/10. Rarely it's an 8/10 or a 4/10. Very rarely it's a 9/10 or a 3/10. I don't think I can remember a single game he's ever played that's been 10/10 or 0/10. You get the picture.

Mallan might be "inconsistent", yet his best is clearly several levels higher than Stevenson could ever produce. Partly that's down to positions and Mallan having more opportunities to produce magic. But then you see the modern full back like Andy Robertson or James Tavernier (dozens of assists and a handful of goals a season) and left backs can't be expected to get away with not contributing going forward anymore.I can guarantee you 100% that Mallan (who I like) would be consistently garbage at left back. Tackling is one thing he can't do.

The 2 players are incomparable.

rossevenil
17-12-2020, 04:49 PM

Oh dear that`ll be why every manager we have had since John Collins has had his name on the team sheet every game,clearly they know nothing about football then.

HibeeHibernian4
17-12-2020, 04:55 PM
Oh dear that`ll be why every manager we have had since John Collins has had his name on the team sheet every game,clearly they know nothing about football then.

If you read the opinions of many posters on here they would tell you that just about every single manager was rubbish and knew nothing about football.

And the flip side to your argument is "that'll be why absolutely zero clubs at a higher level than Hibs have ever come in for Stevenson".

A lot of players make the move down south including Stevie Mallan from an almost-relegated-to-the-third-tier St Mirren side.

What's more likely: Lewis Stevenson somehow fell through the cracks and escaped the attention of English scouts, or he isn't quite as good as some people on here believe? That's not a dig at Lewis by the way. He's a good man and seems more aware of his limitations as a footballer than 90% of the Hibs support.

Peevemor
17-12-2020, 05:00 PM
Clubs often "come in" when a player's agent makes it known that the player might be looking for a move.

If Lewis had wanted a move for the sake of it he could easily have manufactured one over the years.

HibeeHibernian4
17-12-2020, 05:05 PM
Clubs often "come in" when a player's agent makes it known that the player might be looking for a move.

If Lewis had wanted a move for the sake of it he could easily have manufactured one over the years.

Genuinely to where? He wouldn't get into Aberdeen's team and Hearts wouldn't take him so that rules out the top four of the Scottish Premiership. I'd be stunned if at any point in his career a side at a higher level than Mallan's Barnsley would have signed Stevenson.

Again this is all stuff that Lewis himself would freely admit and not out of some humble act. He recognises that he's quite a limited footballer and appreciates what he's got out of the game. It's a refreshing attitude and I wish it had rubbed off more on some Hibs fans who insist on worshipping a very technically average player (no disrespect intended to a fantastic servant of the club)

All of this is going off on a tangent though. The point I was trying to make is that Stevenson's "consistency" is still several levels below what Mallan can make happen as a player. So give me Mallan's "inconsistency" any day of the week over that please.

The Spaceman
17-12-2020, 05:12 PM
The guy suffers from a support point of view as being viewed as a straight replacement for John McGinn - one of the greatest midfielders ever to play for Hibs. He is more than good enough for us when deployed properly and is a totally different kind of player, but people don't see that.

MWHIBBIES
17-12-2020, 05:13 PM

:bitchy:

MagicSwirlingShip
17-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Genuinely to where? He wouldn't get into Aberdeen's team and Hearts wouldn't take him so that rules out the top four of the Scottish Premiership. I'd be stunned if at any point in his career a side at a higher level than Mallan's Barnsley would have signed Stevenson.

Again this is all stuff that Lewis himself would freely admit and not out of some humble act. He recognises that he's quite a limited footballer and appreciates what he's got out of the game. It's a refreshing attitude and I wish it had rubbed off more on some Hibs fans who insist on worshipping a very technically average player (no disrespect intended to a fantastic servant of the club)

All of this is going off on a tangent though. The point I was trying to make is that Stevenson's "consistency" is still several levels below what Mallan can make happen as a player. So give me Mallan's "inconsistency" any day of the week over that please.

There was a interview with Lewis on a podcast posted recently that Stuart McCall had sounded out his agent about a move to Rangers when he was manager.

MWHIBBIES
17-12-2020, 05:14 PM
The guy suffers from a support point of view as being viewed as a straight replacement for John McGinn - one of the greatest midfielders ever to play for Hibs. He is more than good enough for us when deployed properly and is a totally different kind of player, but people don't see that.

Whats his position then? He's never claimed any position for his own. Had plenty chances in attacking midfield as well.

HibeeHibernian4
17-12-2020, 05:17 PM
There was a interview with Lewis on a podcast posted recently that Stuart McCall had sounded out his agent about a move to Rangers when he was manager.

So the Scottish Championship then. Thanks for making my point. :aok:

Smartie
17-12-2020, 06:07 PM
It's quite funny that a Stevie Mallan thread can be turned into a "have a pop at Lewis Stevenson" thread - after Lewis has put 3 decent performances together, as the team have picked up 3 big results, and as he has got within 2 winnable games of picking up a 3rd winner's medal.

Genuinely bonkers.

(Before anyone says it -"Aye, but mind that time he got skinned by Scougall!!)

Tyler Durden
17-12-2020, 06:18 PM

IIRC he started against Celtic in a 4-5-1 (central midfield 3) and same formation first half against St Johnstone. We then sacrificed Gogic for Doidge in the 2nd half of the Saints game and kept Mallan in a central 2.

So he had a decent chance there for me in his preferred role and he was really quite poor.

Great impact the other night by all accounts but doesn’t merit a start.

A Hi-Bee
17-12-2020, 07:08 PM
Mallan is a great wee player, he is just a bit inconsistant hence he plays for Hibs.
:agree:

Centre Hawf
17-12-2020, 07:14 PM

McCall also wanted to take him to Motherwell when they were a Champions League side and we were getting relegated. So there's your point debunked.

HibeeHibernian4
17-12-2020, 07:24 PM
It's quite funny that a Stevie Mallan thread can be turned into a "have a pop at Lewis Stevenson" thread - after Lewis has put 3 decent performances together, as the team have picked up 3 big results, and as he has got within 2 winnable games of picking up a 3rd winner's medal.

Genuinely bonkers.

(Before anyone says it -"Aye, but mind that time he got skinned by Scougall!!)

Chris Dagnall was ninety minutes away from winning both cups with Hibs. Just to bring some context to that "ONLY A CLUB LEGEND COULD HAVE WON TWO MEDALS!!" nonsense.

HibeeHibernian4
17-12-2020, 07:25 PM
McCall also wanted to take him to Motherwell when they were a Champions League side and we were getting relegated. So there's your point debunked.

Well those things were two years apart and you're being very generous calling Motherwell of 2012 a Champions League side. :greengrin

Northernhibee
17-12-2020, 07:34 PM

You seem convinced but are sorely mistaken in thinking that you had a point in the first place.

MWHIBBIES
17-12-2020, 09:58 PM
Chris Dagnall was ninety minutes away from winning both cups with Hibs. Just to bring some context to that "ONLY A CLUB LEGEND COULD HAVE WON TWO MEDALS!!" nonsense.

Loads of guys have been 90 minutes away from that. Only club legend Lewis Stevenson has done it though

Brightside
17-12-2020, 10:00 PM

Your argument just went in the bin.

superfurryhibby
17-12-2020, 10:08 PM
Mallan is consistently inconsistent. He’s got some obvious assets, but fundamentally he isn’t all that great overall. When he leaves Hibs it won’t be for better things, of that I’m pretty certain.

Centre Hawf
17-12-2020, 11:45 PM
Well those things were two years apart and you're being very generous calling Motherwell of 2012 a Champions League side. :greengrin

Your point was "that'll be why absolutely zero clubs at a higher level than Hibs have ever come in for Stevenson" but a team that was considerably better than us for a number of seasons (that did make it to the Champions League qualifiers) wanted him. A team that went on to beat us to the Championship (thankfully not the Scottish Cup) wanted him 2 years later. And I'm sure if you asked any team outside Celtic around that time I'm sure they'd have taken him as their first choice left back.

JimBHibees
18-12-2020, 06:25 AM

You forgot to add in your opinion as most people with working eyes would disagree. :greengrin

Hiber-nation
18-12-2020, 07:17 AM

We've missed your insightful contributions so much on here, welcome back.

mjhibby
18-12-2020, 07:19 AM
This lockdown thing seems to have definitely altered some folks equilibrium. Loads of frankly unbelievable stuff being posted, stuff I don’t think we saw a year back.Stevenson is a consistent lb,no more no less. Three wins in a row with the usual back four in place. Mallan is inconsistent and can change matches as sub but invariably doesn’t do as well as when starting. Simple as that. Far too much overanalysing. I think our manager knows what he’s doing.

Hibernian Verse
18-12-2020, 08:18 AM
Pretty sure Lewis was a 10/10 in the 2007 Cup Final.

MrRobot
18-12-2020, 09:44 AM
That's probably the daftest thing I've read on here in a long time.

:agree:

that takes some doing as well

Jones28
18-12-2020, 10:28 AM

Holy ****, this is special viewpoint. So much so it must be trolling.

Jones28
18-12-2020, 10:29 AM
Pretty sure Lewis was a 10/10 in the 2007 Cup Final.

He was, MOTM.

And massively contributed in the SF against St Johnston along with Kevin McCann

basehibby
18-12-2020, 12:54 PM

What a laughably ridiculous post.
Mallan and Stevenson are two very different players with very different attributes. If you could combine the two then you would have an international standard midfielder - Stevenson's focus, athleticism and indefatigability combined with Mallan's vision and skill with a football would be a sight to behold.
But they are different players - one who has made himself a fixture over the last decade and one who is striving to do so.
Mallan can improve on his weaknesses and become a first pick in my opinion as I believe he has the right attitude to do so. In the meantime I'm glad to have him in the squad as creative players of his calibre dont grow on trees.