PDA

View Full Version : Gerard Houllier dies

Hiber-nation
14-12-2020, 10:52 AM
Very sad news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55300386

EI255
14-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Always came across as a really nice person. Sad news indeed.

RIP

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

1 8 7 5
14-12-2020, 10:59 AM
Aye, just saw that.

RIP GH

Scouse Hibee
14-12-2020, 11:00 AM
RIP Gerard, great manager, lovely guy and very well thought of by all in the game.

Pagan Hibernia
14-12-2020, 11:00 AM
That is terribly sad news. He was a gentleman.

he had a big impact on English football. Helped bring Eric Cantona to Manchester United, kickstarting their dominance, and then created a resurgence of sorts at Anfield. Lovely man.

hibsbollah
14-12-2020, 11:06 AM
I always liked David Ginola on the pitch so I instinctively took his side in the famous Ginola-Houllier 'beef' after his crazy pass in the Bulgaria game. As the years have passed its become apparent that Houllier was the more genuine person and Ginola a bit of egomaniac. Definitely one of the nice guys in football, RIP.

Peevemor
14-12-2020, 11:17 AM
I think it was Houllier that took Alex Miller to Anfield.

I think he may also have had a fall-out with Sauzée which led to Franck retiring from international football.

RIP Gérard!

hibsbollah
14-12-2020, 11:26 AM

I think he may also have had a fall-out with Sauzée which led to Franck retiring from international football.

RIP Gérard!

Thats true :agree: Sauzee would have won way more than his 39 caps otherwise. Houllier took Sauzee off as time was running out in the famous Bulgaria game, which contributed to the defeat as much as Ginolas crazy pass did. Sauzee must have taken Ginolas side because they never spoke to Houllier after that. Some team he played in; Papin, Cantona, Deasailly, Petit etc.

Iggy Pope
14-12-2020, 01:11 PM
Seemed like a genuinely warm person. R.I.P.

kaimendhibs
14-12-2020, 02:04 PM
Sad news. RIP [emoji26]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

hibby6270
14-12-2020, 03:58 PM
RIP Gerard. One of the good guys by all accounts.

Onion
14-12-2020, 06:16 PM
So sad to hear.

Since452
14-12-2020, 06:21 PM
Always thought he seemed a really nice guy. Sad to hear.

lyonhibs
15-12-2020, 07:57 AM
His was the first Liverpool team in my memory worthy of the name. That UEFA Cup final was madness.

hibsbollah
15-12-2020, 08:34 AM
Nice tribute here from Phil Thompson

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/14/phil-thompson-tribute-gerard-houllier-liverpool-togetherness

OstKurve Hibs
15-12-2020, 08:48 AM

RIP Gérard!

Pretty sure he took gary McAllister to liverpool aswell

Rory
15-12-2020, 09:43 AM
Was interested to hear he was a language assistant at a Liverpool comprehensive for a year and discovered a love for the city and its football.

Scouse Hibee
15-12-2020, 02:48 PM
Was interested to hear he attended school at a Liverpool comprehensive for a year and discovered a love for the city and its football.

He taught at a school in Liverpool.

JimBHibees
15-12-2020, 03:12 PM
He taught at a school in Liverpool.

When he was manager?

Scouse Hibee
15-12-2020, 11:32 PM
When he was manager?

No, many years before, he taught at Alsop Comp for a year to probably as a very young teacher, it’s said that’s when he developed his love of Liverpool.

The Baldmans Comb
16-12-2020, 12:04 AM
Its still hard to comprehend Ginolas pass but the result of that France v Bulgaria game and the lesser known France v Israel game the week before would have destroyed lesser men and managers.

But what a tribute that he fought back to become such a well respected manager and such a success at Liverpool.

Relatively young as well. Very sad news.

The 90+2
16-12-2020, 02:02 AM
Great manager lovely person and is one of the main reasons France are in the position they are in just now:

RIP

The 90+2
16-12-2020, 02:03 AM
Its still hard to comprehend Ginolas pass but the result of that France v Bulgaria game and the lesser known France v Israel game the week before would have destroyed lesser men and managers.

But what a tribute that he fought back to become such a well respected manager and such a success at Liverpool.

Relatively young as well. Very sad news.

Ginolas a ****.

Baader
16-12-2020, 02:50 AM
Ginolas a ****.

He isn't. Worked with him on and off for years and he's a good bloke. Good company, a gent and a good laugh. And he always asked me about Hibs whenever we caught up.

Peevemor
16-12-2020, 06:04 AM
He isn't. Worked with him on and off for years and he's a good bloke. Good company, a gent and a good laugh. And he always asked me about Hibs whenever we caught up.

He's now presenting TV in France. He started off doing Gary Lineker type stuff on football coverage and did a couple of seasons doing the Ant & Dec role in France's got Talent. He's a natural.

Pagan Hibernia
16-12-2020, 07:52 AM
No, many years before, he taught at Alsop Comp for a year to probably as a very young teacher, it’s said that’s when he developed his love of Liverpool.

did he teach french? It’s an amazing story, imagine being a middle aged liverpool fan on the kop in 1998 and finding out that your old teacher from 30 years earlier is now managing the club! Great stuff

The Baldmans Comb
16-12-2020, 01:05 PM
Ginolas a ****.

My observation of him on TV is that he is a highly intelligent,sympathetic and observing presenter and very natural in front of the camera.

I find him very similar to Englands Lineker in that respect.

Mind you if you were a French national team football fan then it would be hard to forgive not so much that pass but the crazy mindset that thought it might somehow be a good idea.

The 90+2
16-12-2020, 03:08 PM

Didn’t he cheat on his wife and break his family up a few years back? Some people have it all and it’s still not enough I suppose.

hibsbollah
16-12-2020, 03:59 PM
My observation of him on TV is that he is a highly intelligent,sympathetic and observing presenter and very natural in front of the camera.

I find him very similar to Englands Lineker in that respect.

Mind you if you were a French national team football fan then it would be hard to forgive not so much that pass but the crazy mindset that thought it might somehow be a good idea.

By all accounts the reaction in France put even England’s self entitlement and self flagellation around Beckham, Gazzas tears and Beckham in the shade. It just couldn’t happen that Bulgaria could put them out. Ignoring the fact they had a great team and Kostadinovs goal was a pearler.

Pagan Hibernia
16-12-2020, 04:02 PM
By all accounts the reaction in France put even England’s self entitlement and self flagellation around Beckham, Gazzas tears and Beckham in the shade. It just couldn’t happen that Bulgaria could put them out. Ignoring the fact they had a great team and Kostadinovs goal was a pearler.

indeed. And Bulgaria were a revelation at that World Cup. Think they knocked out the holders Germany and reached the semi final?

hibsbollah
16-12-2020, 04:59 PM
indeed. And Bulgaria were a revelation at that World Cup. Think they knocked out the holders Germany and reached the semi final?

Yep, I remember watching that game cheering on the underdogs. Stoichkov was some player. Hagi for Romania too. A wee retro treat here

https://youtu.be/cBuoNKPDk2I

The Baldmans Comb
16-12-2020, 05:08 PM
I had forgotten how good a side Bulgaria were around that era and its a huge credit to Andy Roxburghs Scotland team that we had knocked them out the Euros the year before and the Romania team of Hagi who also had a very decent USA 1994 World Cup.

A few days before the France v Bulgaria game France had also lost 2:3 to Israel at home and though it was nice to see that there was a goal from Sauzee during the match the last minute ending in that game exactly mirrored the Bulgaria match.

I think France tore up the rule books and coaching manuals after these defeats which paved the way for their dominance of world football from 1998 onwards.