PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Maloney

Davy Mac
13-12-2020, 07:37 AM
Ready for a full time gig in Scotland? ;-)

Forgot he is assistant to Martinez in Belgium.

tonyrougier123
13-12-2020, 07:47 AM

Livvy job??

bingo70
13-12-2020, 07:54 AM

Thought he seemed like a bit of an erse on Sportscene last night.

green day
13-12-2020, 08:07 AM

Do we really believe that an ex player from any other club outside those two would be allowed to stumble and dither in such an unprofessional way like he did last night?

Talking about "the number 8, no 9, yes Doidge" as the big fella scored his header.

Makes Jane Lewis sound like a professional broadcaster.

Billy Whizz
13-12-2020, 09:14 AM

Don’t think the top players at Belgium would listen to an erse

bingo70
13-12-2020, 09:55 AM
Don’t think the top players at Belgium would listen to an erse

Top premiership players at Wolves listen to Cathro.

Bobby's Cinema
13-12-2020, 10:10 AM
He is just part of a terrible coverage overall.

He started a piece focussing on Nisbet an then proceeded to show a set of clips where he was not even involved in the play.

J-C
13-12-2020, 10:10 AM
I think he's trying to be measured and choosing his words before opening his gob, has he always spoken with a posh snobby Scottish accent or has that developed over the years?

ABZHFC
13-12-2020, 10:18 AM
I think he's trying to be measured and choosing his words before opening his gob, has he always spoken with a posh snobby Scottish accent or has that developed over the years?

I was confused by this also, born in Malaysia, then moved to Aberdeen, but didn't seem to have a particularly distinguishable accent of any kind. I'm sure I don't remember him speaking like that when he played for Celtic/Wigan?

marinello59
13-12-2020, 11:18 AM

He has always had a refined accent. The area of Aberdeen he was brought up in isn’t renowned for speaking the Doric. :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
13-12-2020, 11:36 AM
He obviously sees players by numbers, as kept saying the 8 or the 9. Seemed intelligent enough though

JimBHibees
13-12-2020, 11:42 AM
Personally quite like Shaun though didn't see last night. Obviously understands the game and is quite intelligent and speaks well.

Iain G
13-12-2020, 11:47 AM

Posh snobby Scottish accent? Would you rather he sounds like some of the west coast knuckle draggers that are used to? 🙄

Iggy Pope
13-12-2020, 11:49 AM
Odd looking wee bloke though.

Since90+2
13-12-2020, 11:49 AM
In a hypothetical scenario of Ross leaving to Celtic I wouldn't be surprised if he was someone we looked at for the head coach role.

CMurdoch
13-12-2020, 12:34 PM
He is more insightful than the vast majority of pundits who merely tell me what I have just watched which is a deadening bore.
Shaun does sound like he has swallowed too many coaching books but given there are few pundits like him he is a welcome change.

Davy Mac
13-12-2020, 12:45 PM
In a hypothetical scenario of Ross leaving to Celtic I wouldn't be surprised if he was someone we looked at for the head coach role.

Correct.

Rumored from what I'm heard a few weeks ago.

bigwheel
13-12-2020, 12:47 PM
Correct.

Rumored from what I'm heard a few weeks ago.

Was due to be part of the coaching team had Kennedy got our job. He was our first choice of course....Celtic weren’t up for letting Kennedy go..

Seems to be well thought of in football circles

bingo70
13-12-2020, 12:50 PM
Was due to be part of the coaching team had Kennedy got our job. He was our first choice of course....Celtic weren’t up for letting Kennedy go..

Simon ferry talks very highly of him as a future manager but I suspect there’s an element of an old pals act at play there.

Davy Mac
13-12-2020, 12:50 PM

Didn't realise that about the Kennedy tie up.

How about Dempster & Jack to Sellick, Dempster gets her own back and dumps Lennon and Kennedy comes to Hibs with Maloney - lol

J-C
13-12-2020, 01:02 PM
Posh snobby Scottish accent? Would you rather he sounds like some of the west coast knuckle draggers that are used to? ��

Get a grip ffs you know exactly what I mean, he doesn't have a strong regional accent, he sounds more Fettes College educated than what I expected him to sound like, I can't remember him sounding so posh and well spoken before.

J-C
13-12-2020, 01:05 PM

He fits the bill at ER. a young talented up and coming coach and seems knowledgeable, will have learned a lot working in the Belgium set up.

Iain G
13-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Get a grip ffs you know exactly what I mean, he doesn't have a strong regional accent, he sounds more Fettes College educated than what I expected him to sound like, I can't remember him sounding so posh and well spoken before.

It was the way you phrased it?

He was articulate and considered, more so than most pundits we have to suffer...

EI255
13-12-2020, 01:46 PM
Livvy job??Anyone taking that job would always be second in command to the 'dealer'.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

J-C
13-12-2020, 01:56 PM
It was the way you phrased it?

He was articulate and considered, more so than most pundits we have to suffer...

I phrased it by asking if he has always spoken with a posh snobby accent as I could not remember what he sounded like prior to his recent tv appearances, yes he's articulate and considered and I like that about him but I expected him to have more of a distinct regional accent.

MB62
13-12-2020, 06:38 PM
He is just part of a terrible coverage overall.

He started a piece focussing on Nisbet an then proceeded to show a set of clips where he was not even involved in the play.

He makes I.M. JOLLY look like the life and soul of the party. I totally lost interest in anything he was saying.

CMurdoch
13-12-2020, 06:49 PM
I phrased it by asking if he has always spoken with a posh snobby accent as I could not remember what he sounded like prior to his recent tv appearances, yes he's articulate and considered and I like that about him but I expected him to have more of a distinct regional accent.

Given his job with the Belgian International set up I suspect he has modified his accent slightly to ensure he is understood.

Davy Mac
13-12-2020, 06:54 PM
Given his job with the Belgian International set up I suspect he has modified his accent slightly to ensure he is understood.

A bit like what's his puss, Steve McLaren, he was priceless with that hybrid Dutch accent. lol

bingo70
13-12-2020, 07:02 PM
A bit like what's his puss, Steve McLaren, he was priceless with that hybrid Dutch accent. lol

That’s what I thought he was talking like last night, probably what prompted my comment that he sounded like an erse.

In his defence, maybe he has just got used to changing the way he talks to communicate with foreign players.

greenlex
13-12-2020, 07:06 PM
Worked with a guy way back. He was called “The Yank”. Spoke with a strange mid Atlantic american kinda accent. I assumed he had lived there for years. Turns out he was there for a few months. Maybe something similar going on with Shaun.

Peevemor
13-12-2020, 07:18 PM
Some people pick up/adopt accents easily and unintentionally. I know 2-3 people like that.

J-C
13-12-2020, 07:33 PM

I remember living in London many years ago and had to concentrate on slowing down when I spoke because I got fed up repeating everything I said, so yea it could well be that.

Haymaker
14-12-2020, 03:45 AM
Some people pick up/adopt accents easily and unintentionally. I know 2-3 people like that.

I do. It's actually quite annoying.

Peevemor
14-12-2020, 05:13 AM
I do. It's actually quite annoying.I wish I could. I speak French all day every day with my best Edinburgh accent. If I try to sound more French I feel like I'm trying to imitate people (which I suppose I am) but it doesn't come naturally at all. Other people in the same situation don't even have to think about it, in fact they can't do otherwise but to talk like everyone else.

Over the past few weekends I've been recording videos to send to my pupils for music lessons. I'm honestly surprised they understand me at all.

Jim44
14-12-2020, 05:47 AM
I wish I could. I speak French all day every day with my best Edinburgh accent. If I try to sound more French I feel like I'm trying to imitate people (which I suppose I am) but it doesn't come naturally at all. Other people in the same situation don't even have to think about it, in fact they can't do otherwise but to talk like everyone else.

Over the past few weekends I've been recording videos to send to my pupils for music lessons. I'm honestly surprised they understand me at all.

I remember the first time I went to France in 1968 with some mates. We were on a hitch hiking jaunt and arrived in Cherbourg. I had studied French, got an A pass at Higher and could speak adequately well. I got into a short conversation with an old woman who was intrigued by my accent. She asked me what part of France I came from as I had an unusual accent and had a very ‘classical’ language structure. ....... Edinburgh schoolbook French:greengrin

G B Young
14-12-2020, 06:18 AM

Posh AND snobby?

Iggy Pope
14-12-2020, 06:56 PM
I remember living in London many years ago and had to concentrate on slowing down when I spoke because I got fed up repeating everything I said, so yea it could well be that.

The HMRC phone line only responds to my reading of my NI number if I shout it like I’m from Millwall. Not a word of a lie..

Peevemor
14-12-2020, 07:43 PM
The HMRC phone line only responds to my reading of my NI number if I shout it like I’m from Millwall. Not a word of a lie..One of my pals at the 3rd or 4th time of asking had to say operator with an American accent (aperader) to an automated system to get an international line in a Los Angeles hotel.

Speedy
14-12-2020, 10:43 PM
Eleven

HoboHarry
15-12-2020, 01:52 AM
Any time I'm asked to slow down here I tell them to listen quicker 😁

Jim44
15-12-2020, 03:35 AM
I think folk are being a bit hard on Malloney’s accent. I don’t know much or how little of a dick he is but any time I’ve heard him talk, he has always had that accent. As a Celtic player I always expected to hear a Weegie accent and not a northern one but I would put it down to more Invernessish than Aberdeenish.

JimBHibees
15-12-2020, 05:46 AM
I think folk are being a bit hard on Malloney’s accent. I don’t know much or how little of a dick he is but any time I’ve heard him talk, he has always had that accent. As a Celtic player I always expected to hear a Weegie accent and not a northern one but I would put it down to more Invernessish than Aberdeenish.

Agree nothing wrong with his accent at least he can string a sentence together and has played and coached at a very good level way above SPFL

Since452
15-12-2020, 05:49 AM
Did Maloney not grow up in Malaysia or somewhere? Sad state of affairs when we're calling someone posh and snobby from a sportscene appearance. I don't think he's either. Just a bit nervous in front of camera.

J-C
15-12-2020, 05:56 AM
Did Maloney not grow up in Malaysia or somewhere? Sad state of affairs when we're calling someone posh and snobby from a sportscene appearance. I don't think he's either. Just a bit nervous in front of camera.

I have nothing against his accent, I just wasn't expecting him to be so articulate as he was and could not remember hearing him speak like that, I thought he'd have a more broad Aberdonian accent.

JimBHibees
15-12-2020, 05:57 AM

Couldn't agree more think he speaks well and is intelligent. Here is an extract from his wiki page.

Maloney was born to an English father and Scottish mother in Miri, a coastal city in north-eastern Sarawak, Malaysia, on 24 January 1983.[3] He spent his infancy in Malaysia while his father, a helicopter pilot and armed forces veteran, worked there as a flying instructor. The family returned to Britain when Maloney was five years old, after his father accepted a job in Aberdeen, Scotland.[3] In a 2014 interview, Maloney said: "Although I am Scottish and play for Scotland, Malaysia will always be a special part of me."[3]

JimBHibees
15-12-2020, 05:59 AM
I have nothing against his accent, I just wasn't expecting him to be so articulate as he was and could not remember hearing him speak like that, I thought he'd have a more broad Aberdonian accent.

Think he has always spoken like that, can remember him being interviewed when played at Celtic and was surprised how different he sounded from your archetype footballer.

vuefrom1875
15-12-2020, 08:25 AM

Typical dour Aberdonian.

Nakedmanoncrack
20-12-2021, 11:43 PM
Thread on the new manager (mainly his accent) from a year ago.

Diclonius
20-12-2021, 11:44 PM
Jesus, I'm glad none of you have heard my accent.

HoboHarry
21-12-2021, 12:01 AM
He has always had a refined accent. The area of Aberdeen he was brought up in isn’t renowned for speaking the Doric. :greengrin
Fit?

HFC_NYC
21-12-2021, 12:04 AM

Lottery numbers please.

FilipinoHibs
21-12-2021, 02:41 AM
I was brought up in Hawick till the age of 18, then moved to Edinburgh followed by stints in London and New York. I lost much of my accent and use of old Scots because nobody could understand me.

Nemo
21-12-2021, 02:53 AM
Eleven

:faf: in the lift.:faf:

Diclonius
21-12-2021, 10:59 AM
I was brought up in Hawick till the age of 18, then moved to Edinburgh followed by stints in London and New York. I lost much of my accent and use of old Scots because nobody could understand me.

Ah, yours is more interesting. Mine is generic lower-middle Carnoustie/Tayside with slightly elevated use of "eh" as an emphasis given I'm now in Fife.

I had to move seats a few seasons ago as some dick didn't like my accent. No joke.

Hibbyradge
21-12-2021, 11:58 AM

Furry boots was that?

WestCoastHibby
21-12-2021, 12:47 PM
Any time I'm asked to slow down here I tell them to listen quicker 😁
Classic, I need to remember that one.

Since452
21-12-2021, 05:46 PM
Fit?

Hmm. My Mrs said she preferred him with his stubble.