PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Hamilton 12 12 2020)

Jonnyboy
12-12-2020, 05:12 PM
Let me start by saying that’s the best 90 minute display I’ve seen from Hibs for a while and the best ever 90 minute display on an artificial surface. Apart from a brief spell around the half hour mark and another at the start of the second half, Hibs were dominant and never looked anything but comfortable.

With Jamie Murphy out through injury, Christian Doidge was restored to a starting position as Hibs lined up with a 4-4-2 formation. For their part, Hamilton had two ex Hibs players in their line up in the shape of Ben Stirling and Scott Martin.

In a fast start to proceedings, Hibs should have been a goal up inside the first five minutes when a tremendous through ball from Hanlon allowed Hallberg to control with his chest before striking a left footed effort over the bar with only the keeper to beat. On the plus side it was encouraging to see Hallberg make that kind of run in behind the defenders.

Another super through ball from Hanlon set Doidge up in a one on one with Fulton but rather than take the shot early, Christian decided to try and go round the keeper allowing Fulton to steal the ball off his toes.

Around five minutes later, a delivery into the Hamilton box from the right hand side saw Charlie Trafford clearly manhandle Porteous to the ground. Luckily, Kevin Clancy spotted the offence and awarded Hibs a penalty. I was slightly surprised when Martin Boyle stepped forward, but his finish was perfect, sending Ryan Fulton the wrong way.

With Newell prompting from midfield, Hibs were creating real problems for the hosts who just couldn’t keep possession of the ball. Joe wasn’t just creating though, as he lost possession in midfield and raced back to tackle Smith and remove any danger to the Hibs goal. It was a good example of him having that determination to go and atone for his initial error.

Little was being seen of the hosts as a forward threat and as a result, Rocky was pleasantly underemployed. Domination of possession afforded Hibs a few half chances but when they did get a shot on target, Ryan Fulton was equal to the task. A couple of corners saw first Doidge and then Hanlon steer headers over the bar before Hibs struck a second goal around the forty minute mark. Wright took possession on the Hibs left and flighted a right footed cross into the box which Doidge met from around six yards out and headed past the stranded Fulton.

Hibs were cruising but almost paid the penalty when sloppy play involving Porteous and Marciano allowed Moya to lift the ball towards an empty net, but the effort was weak allowing Stevenson to clear.

Into the second half and there was an early scare when a woefully short pass by Wright to Stevenson left the full back stranded and allowed Owolabi the chance of a strike at goal, but the effort was poor and easily gathered in by Marciano. Minutes later, a free kick from about twenty yards out made me wish Stevie Mallan was on the pitch. In his absence, Nisbet took on the task but hit his effort over the bar. Next, Stevenson set up Newell, but Joe’s effort drifted wide of the post.

In an attempt to rescue something from the game, Brian Rice made a slew of substitutions but in truth the flow of play never altered with Hibs in command. On the hour mark a fine cutback reached Drey Wright some twelve yards out but the former St. Johnstone man fired wildly over the bar with the whole goal to aim at. Thankfully, just a few minutes later, Hibs killed off the game with a third goal when Paul McGinn raced on to a loose ball in the area and fairly smashed his effort high into the top corner. Any striker in the world would have been proud of that finish.

Hibs were rampant now and Nisbet set Boyle free on the right. Boyler’s low cross could only be parried by Fulton and Kevin Nisbet was quickest to react by prodding the ball into the net from close range.

Hamilton were well beaten now, and Hibs could have added to their goal tally, but Ryan Fulton had a string of fine saves to deny them, the one handed stop from substitute Steven Bradley being the pick of the bunch. Moments later, Bradley went on a mazy run and hit an effort with his left foot that Fulton managed to gather in.

Having been forced, by the technical difficulties dogging the Hibs TV coverage again, to listen to the home commentary, I decided with about five minutes left to see if Hibs TV were back in business and they were. I learned at the end that Cliff was not in his usual spot due to the recent passing of his Mum and I’d just like to take this opportunity to offer my deepest condolences to Cliff and his family.

The players

Marciano – Were Efe still at ER, Rocky could have borrowed one of his cigars to give him something to do. I doubt Ofir will have an easier ninety minutes any time soon.

McGinn (P) – Another solid display from Paul who defends well and gets down the right in an attacking sense whenever the chance arises. His goal was a stunner of a strike and kinda helps illustrate my take on his willingness to get forward.

Porteous – Ryan had a good game and was totally dominant in the air whilst breaking out from the back on occasion and showing us all that he has a decent turn of pace.

Hanlon – For the second game in a row my man of the match goes to Paul. Those stunning first half passes and ninety minutes of top defending without seeming to break sweat made it an easy choice for me, despite the fact that several other players were in the hunt.

Stevenson – Lewis defended well and took every opportunity he could to get forward in support of our attacking play.

Boyle – For once, Martin was not hacked down at every opportunity and he had a fine game as a result. A well struck penalty and involvement in much of Hibs’ more threatening passages of play.

Hallberg – I was pleased that he retained his starting place because he’d earned it and I thought he was good again today, although he should really have converted that early effort.

Newell – Joe strolled that today and never looked like he needed to get out of first gear. I noticed Callachan and Martin continually trying to wind him up, but he never took the bait and concentrated on the game in hand.

Wright – Once again I feel a bit underwhelmed by his performance although, in fairness to him, he worked hard defensively and provided a pinpoint cross for our second goal.

Doidge – Big Christian should have scored in his one on one but didn’t let his head drop and took up the ideal position to be on the end of Wright’s cross for the second goal.

Nisbet – Kev kinda started and finished the move for his goal and his overall play throughout the time he was on the park was of good quality.

Gullan – Jamie got twenty minutes and wasn’t involved as much as I’d have liked him to be but that was more down to Hibs seeming to prefer attacking down the right more often in the later stages.

Mallan – Stevie got around the park well enough and was diligent in his defensive duties. I kept hoping we’d get a free kick in his range, but it was not to be.

Magennis – Good to see him back on the park and I thought he showed one or two fine pieces of play. The minutes will have done him good.

McGinn (S) – Didn’t really get a lot of time but he was on hand to help break up Hamilton play in the middle of the park.

Bradley – Made a good impression out on the right. His efforts at goal brought out a top notch save and a decent one from the busy Ryan Fulton.

Jack Ross – I thought he got his starting eleven, his tactics and his substitutions bang on today and he must surely be really pleased with the outcome.

Referee – I don’t particularly rate Kevin Clancy but felt he got the major decisions right today, not that there were that many to be honest.

wookie70
12-12-2020, 05:27 PM
I agree with most of that but very harsh on Wright who I thought had just as good a game as the other midfielders. Porteous had a few lapses of concentration which he needs to cut out but was very good that apart. Doidge was fairly poor for me, he looks like he still isn't fully fit and isn't covering the ground as well as he did. He also gets caught offside unnecessarily.

BILLYHIBS
12-12-2020, 05:29 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

Thanks for posting

One or two minor things ....Porteous’ lack of concentration in the first half and Drey Wright’s miss but 0-4 away from home and the whole teams overall play cannae grumble it’s a :top marks from me

Well done boys

Onwards and upwards

Since452
12-12-2020, 05:29 PM
Thought Wright was very good today

Pedantic_Hibee
12-12-2020, 05:34 PM
Another sterling write-up and I can’t disagree with a single word of what you’ve written, Jonnyboy.

Mainly because I didn’t watch or listen to the game 🙃

H18 SFR
12-12-2020, 05:36 PM
Interesting viewpoints. I really thought Wright was excellent today, both with and without possession.

Greenbeard
12-12-2020, 05:37 PM
What a good read.
Not seen it so this is pure speculation but your report that Boyle wasn't fouled as much as usual made me wonder, given how good he is usually at putting himself into positions to invite the foul, if he didn't go there to the same extent in order to avoid hitting the deck so often on the unwelcoming surface.

nonshinyfinish
12-12-2020, 05:38 PM
Another sterling write-up and I can’t disagree with a single word of what you’ve written, Jonnyboy.

Mainly because I didn’t watch or listen to the game 🙃

That's no excuse, if you're not providing ill-informed reactionary nonsense then you're a waste of a wage.

Peevemor
12-12-2020, 05:43 PM
Wright definitely looked more up for it today and I really hope he builds on that.

I thought Doidge was excellent and there were a few examples today of how much he does for his teammates in and around the box where he set a few of them up with shots on goal. His team mates must love playing alongside him.

Jim44
12-12-2020, 05:45 PM
Thanks, Jonnyboy. We can always rely on your report if we are out the loop on a match day. Great result ...... happy days. :thumbsup:

Since452
12-12-2020, 05:48 PM
Wright definitely looked more up for it today and I really hope he builds on that.

I thought Doidge was excellent and there were a few examples today of how much he does for his teammates in and around the box where he set a few of them up with shots on goal. His team mates must love playing alongside him.

Doidge is so incredibly important to the side. He must be an absolute nightmare for defenders and like you say does so much hard work for his teammates.

whiskyhibby
12-12-2020, 05:59 PM
Let me start by saying that’s the best 90 minute display I’ve seen from Hibs for a while and the best ever 90 minute display on an artificial surface. Apart from a brief spell around the half hour mark and another at the start of the second half, Hibs were dominant and never looked anything but comfortable.

With Jamie Murphy out through injury, Christian Doidge was restored to a starting position as Hibs lined up with a 4-4-2 formation. For their part, Hamilton had two ex Hibs players in their line up in the shape of Ben Stirling and Scott Martin.

In a fast start to proceedings, Hibs should have been a goal up inside the first five minutes when a tremendous through ball from Hanlon allowed Hallberg to control with his chest before striking a left footed effort over the bar with only the keeper to beat. On the plus side it was encouraging to see Hallberg make that kind of run in behind the defenders.

Another super through ball from Hanlon set Doidge up in a one on one with Fulton but rather than take the shot early, Christian decided to try and go round the keeper allowing Fulton to steal the ball off his toes.

Around five minutes later, a delivery into the Hamilton box from the right hand side saw Charlie Trafford clearly manhandle Porteous to the ground. Luckily, Kevin Clancy spotted the offence and awarded Hibs a penalty. I was slightly surprised when Martin Boyle stepped forward, but his finish was perfect, sending Ryan Fulton the wrong way.

With Newell prompting from midfield, Hibs were creating real problems for the hosts who just couldn’t keep possession of the ball. Joe wasn’t just creating though, as he lost possession in midfield and raced back to tackle Smith and remove any danger to the Hibs goal. It was a good example of him having that determination to go and atone for his initial error.

Little was being seen of the hosts as a forward threat and as a result, Rocky was pleasantly underemployed. Domination of possession afforded Hibs a few half chances but when they did get a shot on target, Ryan Fulton was equal to the task. A couple of corners saw first Doidge and then Hanlon steer headers over the bar before Hibs struck a second goal around the forty minute mark. Wright took possession on the Hibs left and flighted a right footed cross into the box which Doidge met from around six yards out and headed past the stranded Fulton.

Hibs were cruising but almost paid the penalty when sloppy play involving Porteous and Marciano allowed Moya to lift the ball towards an empty net, but the effort was week allowing Stevenson to clear.

Into the second half and there was an early scare when a woefully short pass by Wright to Stevenson left the full back stranded and allowed Owolabi the chance of a strike at goal, but the effort was poor and easily gathered in by Marciano. Minutes later, a free kick from about twenty yards out made me wish Stevie Mallan was on the pitch. In his absence, Nisbet took on the task but hit his effort over the bar. Next, Stevenson set up Newell, but Joe’s effort drifted wide of the post.

In an attempt to rescue something from the game, Brian Rice made a slew of substitutions but in truth the flow of play never altered with Hibs in command. On the hour mark a fine cutback reached Drey Wright some twelve yards out but the former St. Johnstone man fired wildly over the bar with the whole goal to aim at. Thankfully, just a few minutes later, Hibs killed off the game with a third goal when Paul McGinn raced on to a loose ball in the area and fairly smashed his effort high into the top corner. Any striker in the world would have been proud of that finish.

Hibs were rampant now and Nisbet set Boyle free on the right. Boyler’s low cross could only be parried by Fulton and Kevin Nisbet was quickest to react by prodding the ball into the net from close range.

Hamilton were well beaten now, and Hibs could have added to their goal tally, but Ryan Fulton had a string of fine saves to deny them, the one handed stop from substitute Steven Bradley being the pick of the bunch. Moments later, Bradley went on a mazy run and hit an effort with his left foot that Fulton managed to gather in.

Having been forced, by the technical difficulties dogging the Hibs TV coverage again, to listen to the home commentary, I decided with about five minutes left to see if Hibs TV were back in business and they were. I learned at the end that Cliff was not in his usual spot due to the recent passing of his Mum and I’d just like to take this opportunity to offer my deepest condolences to Cliff and his family.

The players

Marciano – Were Efe still at ER, Rocky could have borrowed one of his cigars to give him something to do. I doubt Ofir will have an easier ninety minutes any time soon.

McGinn (P) – Another solid display from Paul who defends well and gets down the right in an attacking sense whenever the chance arises. His goal was a stunner of a strike and kinda helps illustrate my take on his willingness to get forward.

Porteous – Ryan had a good game and was totally dominant in the air whilst breaking out from the back on occasion and showing us all that he has a decent turn of pace.

Hanlon – For the second game in a row my man of the match goes to Paul. Those stunning first half passes and ninety minutes of top defending without seeming to break sweat made it an easy choice for me, despite the fact that several other players were in the hunt.

Stevenson – Lewis defended well and took every opportunity he could to get forward in support of our attacking play.

Boyle – For once, Martin was not hacked down at every opportunity and he had a fine game as a result. A well struck penalty and involvement in much of Hibs’ more threatening passages of play.

Hallberg – I was pleased that he retained his starting place because he’d earned it and I thought he was good again today, although he should really have converted that early effort.

Newell – Joe strolled that today and never looked like he needed to get out of first gear. I noticed Callachan and Martin continually trying to wind him up, but he never took the bait and concentrated on the game in hand.

Wright – Once again I feel a bit underwhelmed by his performance although, in fairness to him, he worked hard defensively and provided a pinpoint cross for our second goal.

Doidge – Big Christian should have scored in his one on one but didn’t let his head drop and took up the ideal position to be on the end of Wright’s cross for the second goal.

Nisbet – Kev kinda started and finished the move for his goal and his overall play throughout the time he was on the park was of good quality.

Gullan – Jamie got twenty minutes and wasn’t involved as much as I’d have liked him to be but that was more down to Hibs seeming to prefer attacking down the right more often in the later stages.

Mallan – Stevie got around the park well enough and was diligent in his defensive duties. I kept hoping we’d get a free kick in his range, but it was not to be.

Magennis – Good to see him back on the park and I thought he showed one or two fine pieces of play. The minutes will have done him good.

McGinn (S) – Didn’t really get a lot of time but he was on hand to help break up Hamilton play in the middle of the park.

Bradley – Made a good impression out on the right. His efforts at goal brought out a top notch save and a decent one from the busy Ryan Fulton.

Jack Ross – I thought he got his starting eleven, his tactics and his substitutions bang on today and he must surely be really pleased with the outcome.

Referee – I don’t particularly rate Kevin Clancy but felt he got the major decisions right today, not that there were that many to be honest.

Thanks for another great summary :flag:

Jonnyboy
12-12-2020, 06:32 PM
I agree with most of that but very harsh on Wright who I thought had just as good a game as the other midfielders. Porteous had a few lapses of concentration which he needs to cut out but was very good that apart. Doidge was fairly poor for me, he looks like he still isn't fully fit and isn't covering the ground as well as he did. He also gets caught offside unnecessarily.

Interesting viewpoints. I really thought Wright was excellent today, both with and without possession.

I accept I'm being a bit harsh on Drey Wright. Possibly because I expect more from him but that's just me being greedy :greengrin

What a good read.
Not seen it so this is pure speculation but your report that Boyle wasn't fouled as much as usual made me wonder, given how good he is usually at putting himself into positions to invite the foul, if he didn't go there to the same extent in order to avoid hitting the deck so often on the unwelcoming surface.

Interesting point! I reckon they just didn't do a hatchet job on him as he certainly put himself into positions that would invite a foul :agree:

bigwheel
12-12-2020, 06:47 PM
Enjoyable read, as others have said think you have underrated Wright..was very mobile and tidy in and out of possession . His best shift for us imho ...

Stanton Spence
12-12-2020, 06:57 PM
Cheers mate I always enjoy reading your take on the game. Without sounding a little pedantic I think hibs were already one up before doidge missed his one on one?? The only reason I know this is I missed the first goal but seen the big man miss his chance.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
12-12-2020, 06:59 PM
Almost spot on JB . Our Livingston victory on plastic just edges this one . By the preverbal baw hair 😁

Allant1981
12-12-2020, 08:59 PM
Thought Wright was decent today, really needs a run of games to show how good he is but reckon as soon as Murphy or magennis are fully fit he will be dropped again, good enough to be a squad player though

Stonewall
12-12-2020, 09:06 PM
I thought Wright was really excellent today. He’s coming back from a serious long term injury, I think he’s gradually gaining in confidence and has more to offer.

Smartie
12-12-2020, 09:16 PM
I also thought Wright was excellent.

It was a shame for him that he missed that chance because it would have nicely capped off a great afternoon’s work from him.

It was a good run, arriving late and giving Doidge the big shout. Everything apart from the finish, especially as he put in a good shift helping out at the other end too.

Juniper Greens
12-12-2020, 09:22 PM
I thought wright was good last week, but he god marked down on here, and he was excellent today, barring his miss. I actually thought newall was the weakest of the midfield, but was still decent enough.

Northernhibee
12-12-2020, 09:29 PM
I thought wright was good last week, but he god marked down on here, and he was excellent today, barring his miss. I actually thought newall was the weakest of the midfield, but was still decent enough.

I have to agree which feels harsh on Newell as I thought he was really good today. Winning 4-0 away from home on a plastic pitch is pleasing enough but to not have a single weak performance from the team is hugely encouraging.

Jack Ross seems to learn from mistakes and that’s a really nice thing to know.

Iggy Pope
12-12-2020, 09:37 PM

Jonnyboy is all right like, but he’s not all that.

Jonnyboy
12-12-2020, 09:44 PM
Jonnyboy is all right like, but he’s not all that.

:rotflmao:

CLASS OF 72 -73
12-12-2020, 10:19 PM
Well said again Jonnyboy on Hanlon. I feel if he was a Leith boy and more of a personality he would be more respected. An absolute underrated rock.

AZhibee
13-12-2020, 12:30 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy

Cabbie1875
13-12-2020, 09:01 AM

Agreed, definitely his best game in a Hibs Jersey

PeeJay
13-12-2020, 09:02 AM
Good read as ever - overall excellent team performance - would pick you up on McGuinn's performance - he was poor first half (IMO), always too far away from "his man" and a few moments of lack of concentration, 2nd half he was better, but his crosses into the box were mostly woeful - then he makes a killer pass and finally scores a super goal with such determination ... thought Hamilton were poorly organized and pretty toothless up front ... have to agree with your MoM, Hanlon played two of the best passes forward all game ... difficult to be too critical about anything though when the team wins 4-0 away from home ... :greengrin

Sammy7nil
13-12-2020, 11:35 AM
Thanks JB

Baldy Foghorn
13-12-2020, 11:41 AM

I thought he was slightly better than he has been, put a great ball on Doidge's head for Second goal, and a lovely pass to Nisbet who tried a back flick.

Felt he filtted in and out, but whilst two decent deliveries, I'd expect more from him, and lacked compusure for his shot, that he put over bar.

Kojock
13-12-2020, 12:13 PM
“Another super through ball from Hanlon set Doidge up in a one on one with Fulton but rather than take the shot early, Christian decided to try and go round the keeper allowing Fulton to steal the ball off his toes.

Around five minutes later, a delivery into the Hamilton box from the right hand side saw Charlie Trafford clearly manhandle Porteous to the ground. Luckily, Kevin Clancy spotted the offence and awarded Hibs a penalty. I was slightly surprised when Martin Boyle stepped forward, but his finish was perfect, sending Ryan Fulton the wrong way.”

The penalty was before the Doidge one on one. 🤷*♂️

Iggy Pope
13-12-2020, 12:18 PM
I thought he was slightly better than he has been, put a great ball on Doidge's head for Second goal, and a lovely pass to Nisbet who tried a back flick.

Felt he filtted in and out, but whilst two decent deliveries, I'd expect more from him, and lacked compusure for his shot, that he put over bar.

That was a sitter IMO. Whole goal to shoot at when you look at the replay from behind the goal after, like last week, unselfish centre forward play from Doidge.

He did some nice things though - hopefully he is gradually getting fitter and finding his feet with us.

brog
13-12-2020, 12:27 PM
Well said again Jonnyboy on Hanlon. I feel if he was a Leith boy and more of a personality he would be more respected. An absolute underrated rock.

Without a doubt. Paul's outside of the boot pass to set Doidge free was (fittingly) Cropleyesque.

brog
14-12-2020, 03:35 PM
I just watched highlights & noted 1 significant difference in our play. Earlier in the season I was critical of Hallberg in that I felt every time he received the ball he looked to pass it backwards. On Sat for our 2nd goal he received the ball on the touchline & immediately drove forward. He didn't produce a defence splitting ball a la Scotty but taking the ball deep into Hamilton's half allowed Wright to gain possession in a danger area & produce a fine cross for Doidge to score. By Hallberg's reaction he recognised his contribution. Long may this more positive attitude continue!!

Unseen work
14-12-2020, 05:12 PM
Marciano and the defence were so so dominant for the full 90 minutes, each one of them solid and defended well. Hanlon’s distribution was excellent, the ball to Doidge and Hallberg in the first half was of real quality and if it was one of our more creative players doing that we would be raving about it. McGinns finish was a beauty of a strike but he also deserves so much credit for being in that position

Boyle - You could tell he was a lot more confident this week and drove at the opposition a lot more. Well taken penalty and another assist.

Newell - typical Newell performance against those sort of teams, kept the play going well without doing anything spectacular. Needs to show a lot more composure in front of goal though

Hallberg - That’s the most intent I’ve seen him play with and what a difference. The off the ball runs, running into space and driving the team forward on the ball and his speed of passing was much much better. I wonder if this is something Ross has been drumming into him or he just saw the opportunity against a poor Hamilton team that sat off. Still would like to see him get closer to the opposition when they have the ball.

Wright - Couple of really good crosses throughout the game but being greedy I’d like to see him in more 1v1 positions. It looked to me every time it went to Stevenson he would come infield and drop a bit for the easy pass. Think he only tried to beat his man once on the outside. Missed an absolute sitter.

Nisbet - So much class and quality and it was evident again in his place. Delighted he got another goal.

Doidge - Great to see him get another goal but also his overall play was good and he should be getting a lot more credit if Wright and Bradley scored.

Subs - Bradley looks like he’s got a real touch of class and like he can go past players with ease. I was surprised to see Magennis come on as the attacking midfielder with Mallan and McGinn behind him, expected him and Mallan to swap.

Overall it was a very very good performance and it’s the most I’ve seen us dominate a team this season over 90 minutes. Extra pleasing when their was pressure on the boys to get a result and go second.

Hamilton look poor however and I think they’ll really struggle to stay in the top flight. Always liked them and they’ve a couple of old hibs boys in Stirling and Martin who I also thought done well.

jacomo
14-12-2020, 07:05 PM
JR keeps repeating the same messages in public (and no doubt on the training field): they are good players and they must work hard. The group seems to be gaining in confidence, and taking responsibility. It’s good.