PDA

View Full Version : A record?

DanishJohn
12-12-2020, 06:42 AM
Whilst thinking about our match against Hamilton my mind went back to the day in November 1965 when we hammered them 11-1.

Whilst the score was incredible, there was something else incredible that day.
The starting eleven contained Pat Stanton,Jim O'Rourke and Davy Hogg.
These three guys all went to Holy Cross Academy and even played in the same team at school!
I have a school team photo circa 1962.

Maybe I am wrong here but can any other school beat that regarding Hibs players on pitch at same time?

As a footnote,I was with my dad who was a big big Famous Five man.
The crowd that day was 7000 in a stadium that could take 65000.
He still had to stand in a line for a pie!

BILLYHIBS
12-12-2020, 08:24 AM
Whilst thinking about our match against Hamilton my mind went back to the day in November 1965 when we hammered them 11-1.

These three guys all went to Holy Cross Academy and even played in the same team at school!

Maybe I am wrong here but can any other school beat that regarding Hibs players on pitch at same time?

It was also the first game played in front of the Cowshed and Eric Stevenson scored his first hat-trick

Not many boys from the same school score both goals in a national cup final at Hampden

bigwheel
12-12-2020, 08:38 AM

That’s a great little story .. thanks for sharing.

I wonder what caused our crowds ...regularly 20000, 30000 in the 50s to end up in the 7000 mark by early 60s....seemed to be across football, not just us...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
12-12-2020, 09:30 AM

I wonder what caused our crowds ...regularly 20000, 30000 in the 50s to end up in the 7000 mark by early 60s....seemed to be across football, not just us...

Probably the same as has happened during my lifetime supporting Hibs

After seeing the Tornadoes it's quite hard to watch anything less and folk gradually drift away until they are enticed back by something like HOH or the Mowbray / Collins team.

But add in greater leisure choices and shorter working hours

My dad and all his mates were great football men, as players and spectators, but gradually converted to golfing on Saturday afternoons as they still wanted to compete

In the early post wars years they didn't finish till Saturday lunchtime so football was there only option and these guys although Hibs supporters went to see Hibs one week and Hearts the next such was their love of football, that and they couldn't afford to travel to watch Hibs away and working Saturday AM scuppered that anyway as no-one had cars in those days

bigwheel
12-12-2020, 09:33 AM
Probably the same as has happened during my lifetime supporting Hibs

After seeing the Tornadoes it's quite hard to watch anything less and folk gradually drift away until they are enticed back by something like HOH or the Mowbray / Collins team.

But add in greater leisure choices and shorter working hours

My dad and all his mates were great football men, as players and spectators, but gradually converted to golfing on Saturday afternoons as they still wanted to compete

True. Yet even the tornadoes (that was my grounding too) had low crowds often ....your last point is perhaps the big point - back in the 50s most working class men were football men..afterwards people had more choice and football was not as socially dominant ..

Keith_M
12-12-2020, 09:38 AM

The 1950s were the exception, where we had the combination of the end of war euphoria combined with Hibs best ever team (and winning the league three times).

We've had other short spells where the crowds were a bit bigger, e.g. the early 70s, but crowds of under 10k against the likes of Hamilton have always been pretty much the norm.

The dook
12-12-2020, 10:27 AM
:wink::wink:

Lancs Harp
12-12-2020, 10:30 AM
From the end of WW2 for abut 10 seasons attendances were phenomenal not just at Hibs, but football and sport in general all across the UK. They did vary greatly though even during this period, for instance in 1949/50 over average was a fraction under 30,000 it contained massive attendances against Hearts (65,000) Rangers (51,500) Celtic (41,000) and a good deal of matches around the 20k or just above mark. We recorded just 4000 for the match against Partick though that was way below the next lowest and I presume had mitigating circumstances. I think a lot of the averages in the heyday were skewed because stadiums like Easter Road had huge capacities so that when we did have a big match we could get huge numbers in like the ones quoted above, but a run of the mill match would have been watched by 20-25,000 (still not to be sniffed at by the rest of our attendance history).

A few other attendance milestones for those interested, the first time we averaged above 10,000 for a season was on the eve of the first world war in 1913/14 and the highest season average we had prior to WW2 was 13,682 in 1922/23.

From the end of WW2 we had 10 seasons on the run when we averaged above 20,000. We had a one season dip below 20k then just one more season where we averaged again above the 20,000 mark. Taking that golden period out of the equation our average over any three season period in our history has never been higher than it has been up until lockdown obviously.

bigwheel
12-12-2020, 11:21 AM
From the end of WW2 for abut 10 seasons attendances were phenomenal not just at Hibs, but football and sport in general all across the UK. They did vary greatly though even during this period, for instance in 1949/50 over average was a fraction under 30,000 it contained massive attendances against Hearts (65,000) Rangers (51,500) Celtic (41,000) and a good deal of matches around the 20k or just above mark. We recorded just 4000 for the match against Partick though that was way below the next lowest and I presume had mitigating circumstances. I think a lot of the averages in the heyday were skewed because stadiums like Easter Road had huge capacities so that when we did have a big match we could get huge numbers in like the ones quoted above, but a run of the mill match would have been watched by 20-25,000 (still not to be sniffed at by the rest of our attendance history).

A few other attendance milestones for those interested, the first time we averaged above 10,000 for a season was on the eve of the first world war in 1913/14 and the highest season average we had prior to WW2 was 13,682 in 1922/23.

From the end of WW2 we had 10 seasons on the run when we averaged above 20,000. We had a one season dip below 20k then just one more season where we averaged again above the 20,000 mark. Taking that golden period out of the equation our average over any three season period in our history has never been higher than it has been up until lockdown obviously.

Thanks. Nice piece of analysis [emoji106]

Stonewall
12-12-2020, 11:34 AM

When I started going in the 70s You’d still get big crowds for Hearts, Celtic and Rangers but there was a lot of trouble at matches both inside and outside the grounds. The grounds themselves were also horrible and little effort had been made to improve and update them.

Also, at least in the case of Hibs there wasn’t a lot of entertainment to be had in the late 70s/ early 80s.

Peevemor
12-12-2020, 11:50 AM
When I started going in the 70s You’d still get big crowds for Hearts, Celtic and Rangers but there was a lot of trouble at matches both inside and outside the grounds. The grounds themselves were also horrible and little effort had been made to improve and update them.

Also, at least in the case of Hibs there wasn’t a lot of entertainment to be had in the late 70s/ early 80s.With the ocassional exception, the 80s wasn't a great time for Hibs.

bigwheel
12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
With the ocassional exception, the 80s wasn't a great time for Hibs.

Was largely pretty miserable from
Late 70s onwards through the 80s ..tied in completely with me starting to regularly go both home and away ! [emoji15]

brog
12-12-2020, 05:24 PM

It's a great post and an amazing record. Jimmy & Davie are the same age but Pat is 2 years older so I don't think they ever played in the same school team. There were another 3 Hibs players from Holy X not long before that, Tony McGlynn, George Brough & Pat Hughes. IIRC, Tony scored in his 1st 2 games & only played once more!

tamig
12-12-2020, 06:04 PM
Late 70s onwards through the 80s ..tied in completely with me starting to regularly go both home and away ! [emoji15]

I know the feeling. 79/80 was my first season going home and away. Some pretty drab football but fantastic times and wouldn’t change it for anything.

Peevemor
12-12-2020, 06:12 PM
Late 70s onwards through the 80s ..tied in completely with me starting to regularly go both home and away ! [emoji15]Ditto. That's maybe why I'm not as critical as some, due to the standard of football I was nurtured on.

Stanton Spence
12-12-2020, 06:30 PM
Ditto. That's maybe why I'm not as critical as some, due to the standard of football I was nurtured on.I'm another one who started going home and away games in the late 70s and it certainly wasn't for the free flowing fitbaw that the tornadoes produced a mere 5 years earlier [emoji849] but I wouldn't change a thing if I could

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Ray_
12-12-2020, 06:34 PM

My first game and the only thing I really remember [apart from the scoreline] was the Hamilton goal. which was at the Dumbar end, off the bar and going in off the Hibs keeper.

degenerated
12-12-2020, 06:38 PM
Ditto. That's maybe why I'm not as critical as some, due to the standard of football I was nurtured on.Same here, the young uns don't know good they have. I had to suffer Stuart Turnbull!

DanishJohn
13-12-2020, 08:43 AM
It's a great post and an amazing record. Jimmy & Davie are the same age but Pat is 2 years older so I don't think they ever played in the same school team. There were another 3 Hibs players from Holy X not long before that, Tony McGlynn, George Brough & Pat Hughes. IIRC, Tony scored in his 1st 2 games & only played once more!

Morning Brog

I own a book called Holy Cross Academy Edinburgh - The life and times of a Catholic school 1907-1969.

It's a great read not just about Holy Cross but schools across Edinburgh in that period.
(I am going to do a different post regarding Hibs support base in the 1950's)

Anyhow some good pics in the book and there is one of a team headed
Evening News League Championship 1959-60. In the back row is Jim McManus who went on to play for Falkirk
and in the front row seated are J O'Rourke, P Stanton and D Hogg
(Strong possibility Jimmy and Davy were in the team based on ability rather than age)
They obviously won it because they have the shield in front of them.

I often wonder if Holy Cross celebrated on the Monday morning after the Hamilton game or did they only celebrate when another ex Holy Cross boy bang another goal in against us..Jimmy Wardhaugh !

Finally, used to meet up with Tony McGlynn in Leslies bar in the 1980s.
He would turn up with his guitar and ensure a great night was had by all.
Never met Pat Hughes but did come across Brough when he was a teacher at St Anthony's but will leave it at that.

:flag:

DanishJohn
13-12-2020, 09:02 AM
:wink::wink:

When one gets older dear boy one gets more selective what kind of pie you fancy and what kind of pie might come your way.

PatHead
13-12-2020, 09:06 AM
Morning Brog

I own a book called Holy Cross Academy Edinburgh - The life and times of a Catholic school 1907-1969.

It's a great read not just about Holy Cross but schools across Edinburgh in that period.

Evening News League Championship 1959-60. In the back row is Jim McManus who went on to play for Falkirk
(Strong possibility Jimmy and Davy were in the team based on ability rather than age)

I often wonder if Holy Cross celebrated on the Monday morning after the Hamilton game or did they only celebrate when another ex Holy Cross boy bang another goal in against us..Jimmy Wardhaugh !

Never met Pat Hughes but did come across Brough when he was a teacher at St Anthony's but will leave it at that.

I know I am highjacking the thread but I doubt anyone has a copy of that book they're willing to sell? Would be the perfect Christmas present for my mum.

So difficult to get presents she needs nowadays.

Keith_M
13-12-2020, 09:23 AM

Me anaw.

First game March 79 and started going reasonably regularly from the following season, 79-80.... when we were relegated.

Peevemor
13-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Same here, the young uns don't know good they have. I had to suffer Stuart Turnbull!Thanks for ruining my Sunday!

DanishJohn
13-12-2020, 01:04 PM
I know I am highjacking the thread but I doubt anyone has a copy of that book they're willing to sell? Would be the perfect Christmas present for my mum.

So difficult to get presents she needs nowadays.

Hello Pat

I don't think it is still available to buy.

If it helps I think it came out about 2009 by a company called New Cut Press
1 Strathalmond Road Edinburgh.

The Author is Norah Carlin who attended Holy Cross from 1947 to 1960.

It's an incredible read.

Baker9
13-12-2020, 02:17 PM
Morning Brog

Do you by any chance have the names of everybody in that team?
I played in the first-year team for Ainslie Park when Holy Cross won the championship. I remember that they were causing quite a stir, not just around how good they were, but for the Hibs supporters at Ainslie we knew that they were being touted as future Hibs players. There was quite a few of us watched them beat our firsts, maybe be 5-2 or 5-3? O'Rourke scored at least one.

DanishJohn
13-12-2020, 04:13 PM
Do you by any chance have the names of everybody in that team?
I played in the first-year team for Ainslie Park when Holy Cross won the championship. I remember that they were causing quite a stir, not just around how good they were, but for the Hibs supporters at Ainslie we knew that they were being touted as future Hibs players. There was quite a few of us watched them beat our firsts, maybe be 5-2 or 5-3? O'Rourke scored at least one.

Here we go

J A Anderson R Farrell J McManus D Wightman T Carroll M McPherson J Templeton
J O'Rourke J Coll P Stanton (Captain) D Hogg A MacDonald H Marchant

Hope that stirs the memories !

The Harp
13-12-2020, 05:45 PM
Morning Brog

Interesting post DJ. That sounds like some book you have there, would like to read that myself.
Another ex Holy Cross boy (I think) was Malcolm Bogie, although a fair bit older than those mentioned.
I take it from your last sentence you're an ex St. Anthony's boy, like me.
I'll look out for your thread on Hibs support base in the 1950s.

brog
13-12-2020, 08:15 PM
Here we go

That's brilliant thanks. After I posted i had the same thought as you that Davie & Jimmy may have been promoted up 2 years, amazing as there's a big physical difference at that age. I can fill in some of the names above. Jim, better known as Mickey McManus was Pat's cousin & emigrated to SA where I think he won POTY. Others were Ally MacDonald, Tam Carroll, Jim Anderson & Malcolm MacPherson. I thought Terry Christie (Meadowbank) was also in that team but he may have been a year or so earlier. If there's a way of you posting that pic it would be superb.

brog
13-12-2020, 08:29 PM
Morning Brog

Just some more random thoughts based on above. Tony McGlynn scored on his debut as a 17 year old. He then didn't play for well over 2 years & scored again in his 2nd game. He played the following week & never played again! 3 games & 2 goals in nearly 3 years. Brough was a teacher at Holy X also but as you say we'll draw a veil over that!

Itsnoteasy
13-12-2020, 09:04 PM
With the ocassional exception, the 80s wasn't a great time for Hibs.

Early 80s is when I started going. Hardcore fans is an understatement watching that dross.

mca
13-12-2020, 09:28 PM
Early 80s is when I started going. Hardcore fans is an understatement watching that dross.

I remember going in the mid 80`s to a game at the old accies ground and I think the infamous swearing Fergie was there that day, can also remember being 3 or 4-0 up at the time when accies scored and the Hibs fans actually let out a huge cheer.. memories eh

PatHead
13-12-2020, 09:37 PM
Hello Pat

I don't think it is still available to buy.

If it helps I think it came out about 2009 by a company called New Cut Press
1 Strathalmond Road Edinburgh.

The Author is Norah Carlin who attended Holy Cross from 1947 to 1960.

It's an incredible read.

Thanks for the information.

Casey1875
13-12-2020, 10:44 PM
Morning Brog

Pat is actually my aunties dad. Has told me some great stories over the years!

Baker9
14-12-2020, 09:58 AM
Here we go

Thank you for doing that.

Sauerkraut
14-12-2020, 06:22 PM
I'm finding out that I can't post fotos (might be me). This cabbage was at HC and I've two live n' kickin rellies in the foto. They give their combined views as 'unsung hero was the teacher, Jock (The) Coleman who directed operations from Spiers Bar' 'yes, the 2 year age disparity is correct...selection was purely on ability' (never happened in my day). And interestingly ' we did alright for a school who majored in rugby' Also variations on how ungracious the (rugby leaning) Rector was at the team's success. And both added.....GGTTH.

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2020, 07:55 PM
Pretty sure Andy Bowman ex Hearts played for Hamilton that day

The Supporters Clubrooms down the lane opened on the Monday

jingler1954
14-12-2020, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=PatHead;6380455]I know I am highjacking the thread but I doubt anyone has a copy of that book they're willing to sell? Would be the perfect Christmas present for my mum.

So difficult to get presents she needs nowadays.[/https://www.euppublishing.com/doi/full/10.3366/shr.2011.0022?src=recsys

you can buy this book for£15��

brog
14-12-2020, 10:03 PM
I'm finding out that I can't post fotos (might be me). This cabbage was at HC and I've two live n' kickin rellies in the foto. They give their combined views as 'unsung hero was the teacher, Jock (The) Coleman who directed operations from Spiers Bar' 'yes, the 2 year age disparity is correct...selection was purely on ability' (never happened in my day). And interestingly ' we did alright for a school who majored in rugby' Also variations on how ungracious the (rugby leaning) Rector was at the team's success. And both added.....GGTTH.

Pat Stanton told me on many occasions that the Rector, Toner, was very grudging in acknowledging the footy team's success. Jock Coleman was a legend!!

brog
14-12-2020, 10:09 PM

Given that Jimmy played for Hibs in Europe in the same year that he played for Scotland schoolboys, then the 2 year disparity would have been a dawdle!!

PatHead
15-12-2020, 06:03 AM
[QUOTE=PatHead;6380455]I know I am highjacking the thread but I doubt anyone has a copy of that book they're willing to sell? Would be the perfect Christmas present for my mum.

So difficult to get presents she needs nowadays.[/https://www.euppublishing.com/doi/full/10.3366/shr.2011.0022?src=recsys

Thanks

DanishJohn
15-12-2020, 06:52 AM

Hi Jingler

Did you have any success buying it?

I am about to try and contact Norah Carlin.
I will ask her if she will give me permission to try and copy the picture and post on here.
I will ask her for her permission to quote little sections from the book pertaining to Hibs.(There is one section I would love to share and would use as another thread)

Of course I might not quote anything if she can advise us where we can obtain copies of the book (even second hand?)