PDA

View Full Version : McGinn extends Villa stay

J-C
11-12-2020, 06:34 PM
Aston Villa on Twitter: ""It was an easy choice." 💜 @JMcGinn7 sat down with VillaTV after extending his Aston Villa contract until 2025! 🙌 #McGinn2025" / Twitter (https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1337475266520739841)

As it says.

The 90+2
11-12-2020, 06:37 PM
Very good news all round.

CockneyRebel
11-12-2020, 06:42 PM

How is that good news all round? Good for him and for Villa but good for Hibs? Do we get more dosh if he plays over a certain number of games? If not then it's better for Hibs if he transfers surely? Am I missing something here(wouldn't be the first time)?

Sir David Gray
11-12-2020, 06:45 PM
How is that good news all round? Good for him and for Villa but good for Hibs? Do we get more dosh if he plays over a certain number of games? If not then it's better for Hibs if he transfers surely? Am I missing something here(wouldn't be the first time)?

I'd be surprised if he stays there until 2025 but it will hopefully mean he goes for a bigger fee meaning more money for Hibs.

Ceebs
11-12-2020, 06:47 PM

Great news, did the same with his stay with us, ensures Villa any suiters will pay big money in my opinion.

HoboHarry
11-12-2020, 06:47 PM
I'd be a little surprised if the wasn't a transfer buy out amount written in. Villa protecting their investment....

The 90+2
11-12-2020, 06:54 PM

He’s likely to be sold for more in the future now instead of running down his contract.

theonlywayisup
11-12-2020, 07:12 PM

As others have said, as he winds down his contract the likely sell fee will get less and less.

Now, if he continues to improve as he's done so far, a much bigger team will come in and offer big money.

So good news for McGinn and good news for Hibs.

SquashedFrogg
11-12-2020, 07:16 PM
I'd be surprised if he stays there until 2025 but it will hopefully mean he goes for a bigger fee meaning more money for Hibs.

Pretty much what most are thinking.

Billy Whizz
11-12-2020, 07:21 PM
Pretty much what most are thinking.

He’s 26 now though, so he’ll have to move in the next year and or so, for Villa to get big money for him

SouthMoroccoStu
11-12-2020, 07:29 PM
2 contract extensions in a very short period
£80m plus player now
Imagine if he was english....

The Spaceman
11-12-2020, 07:33 PM
Great news. If Villa do sell him it’ll be for a huge amount with a windfall for us. If he stays at Villa I’d still be happy as well as the guy is a Hibs Legend and owes us nothing after giving so much. Either way it was an outstanding piece of business by us and watching him go from strength to strength has been an utter joy and privilege.

The 90+2
11-12-2020, 07:33 PM
He’s 26 now though, so he’ll have to move in the next year and or so, for Villa to get big money for him

Brendan Rodgers will take him to arsenal I reckon.

Onceinawhile
11-12-2020, 07:39 PM
I don't think he'll go anywhere unless villa get relegated. He's a good mid table premiership player, but he's not a "top 6" player.

Realistically, what team better than villa would want him?

Fergus52
11-12-2020, 07:43 PM
I don't think he'll go anywhere unless villa get relegated. He's a good mid table premiership player, but he's not a "top 6" player.

I reckon in the right system and with the right coach he could be.

Many folk wouldn't have called Henderson or Wijnaldum top 6 players not so long ago and look at them now.

He could definitely have done a job for Man U or Arsenal when you look at some of the CMs they've been playing in recent years.

Onceinawhile
11-12-2020, 07:44 PM
I reckon in the right system and with the right coach he could be.

Many folk wouldn't have called Henderson or Wijnaldum top 6 players not so long ago and look at them now.

He could definitely have done a job for Man U or Arsenal when you look at some of the CMs they've been playing in recent years.

That's a fair point. He's certainly better than mctominay, or elneny.

theonlywayisup
11-12-2020, 07:47 PM

I don't agree that he's not a "top 6" player.

I'm sure many 'experts' would have looked at Robertson at Hull and said good player, but never "top 6^.

I think he would fit in well into a Klopp side. I don't think he would interest either Manchester teams or Chelsea, so you are mostly correct in your statement. He's good enough to play for a Spurs or a Leicester at the moment. Again, don't think Arsenal would go for him.

HoboHarry
11-12-2020, 07:56 PM

I'm sure many 'experts' would have looked at Robertson at Hull and said good player, but never "top 6^.

I think he would fit in well into a Klopp side. I don't think he would interest either Manchester teams or Chelsea, so you are mostly correct in your statement. He's good enough to play for a Spurs or a Leicester at the moment. Again, don't think Arsenal would go for him.
He's more than good enough for Manchester United at this time.

Unseen work
11-12-2020, 07:59 PM
I can’t see him being sold by villa.

They don’t need the money and would demand a huge fee, more than many would be willing to pay I’d imagine.

Just_Jimmy
11-12-2020, 08:02 PM
That's a fair point. He's certainly better than mctominay, or elneny.I said that over two years ago about mctominey when mourinho was at utd and I watched them every week in person and got shot down.

he's miles better than mctominey.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

gbhibby
11-12-2020, 08:02 PM

If he has a good euros especially against England teams will take notice.

lord bunberry
11-12-2020, 08:12 PM
Agreed. SJM is a club legend and his career is more important than any sell on fee we might get. He’s more than paid his way for us. Having said that a new contract will only increase his fee if he does leave Villa.

J-C
11-12-2020, 08:49 PM

Large contract usually means making sure they get a very decent fee for him.

Onceinawhile
11-12-2020, 08:58 PM
If he has a good euros especially against England teams will take notice.

Who will?

Realistically that hasn't seen him already?

Glory Lurker
11-12-2020, 09:06 PM
All of this is speculation upon speculation upon nonsense. Pointless.

We should be focusing on us not triggering the buy-back-for-£150K clause we inserted in the sale deal instead.

Brightside
11-12-2020, 09:09 PM
£2m

Michael
11-12-2020, 09:18 PM
Who will?

You always see signings on basis of a strong international tournament. People that run clubs are human and they buy the hype.

The 90+2
11-12-2020, 09:27 PM
You always see signings on basis of a strong international tournament. People that run clubs are human and they buy the hype.

See Graham Taylor and De La Cruz 👌

The 90+2
11-12-2020, 09:27 PM
Agreed. SJM is a club legend and his career is more important than any sell on fee we might get. He’s more than paid his way for us. Having said that a new contract will only increase his fee if he does leave Villa.

💚

Aldo
11-12-2020, 09:35 PM
£80m plus player now

I really do wonder what the sell on clause is. I remember Bruce saying it’s the best he’s seen??

20% is £16 million!! We can only dream!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
11-12-2020, 09:47 PM
I really do wonder what the sell on clause is. I remember Bruce saying it’s the best he’s seen??

20% is £16 million!! We can only dream!

But 30% is £24M - so we'd end up being due st mirren £8M!

The 90+2
11-12-2020, 09:52 PM

I think regardless of how happy he is at Aston Villa McGinn would leave if it was anything like that for St Mirren. He just seems that type of person.

Stuart93
11-12-2020, 10:50 PM
I think regardless of how happy he is at Aston Villa McGinn would leave if it was anything like that for St Mirren. He just seems that type of person.

Hmm no sure about that. I reckon he leaves for another club based on how good a move it is for his career without even thinking about st mirren or probably hibs for that matter

Kato
11-12-2020, 11:30 PM

He's like a goldfish, the bigger the bowl the bigger he grows.

JammyDoidger
12-12-2020, 01:39 AM
I honestly don't believe John McGinn would look out of place in any side, great player he's got everything.

Aldo
12-12-2020, 05:38 AM

Do we actually know that??

The dalmeny
12-12-2020, 07:59 AM

This, sell on fee is a bonus

MWHIBBIES
12-12-2020, 08:12 AM

To me, Hibs are far more important than John mcginns career. Love the guy but Hibs comes miles in front. Couldnt care less if he gets sold to Alaska as long as we get a good bit of money.

LeithMike
12-12-2020, 08:28 AM
Agreed. SJM is a club legend and his career is more important than any sell on fee we might get. He’s more than paid his way for us. Having said that a new contract will only increase his fee if he does leave Villa.Great post. The lad will have his pick of clubs in the next year or so. Would love to see SJM play under Klopp and see how that would take him on. I'm sure Andy Robertson will be in Klopp's ear about him.

Would be worried if he ended up at Man Utd as they seem a bit purposeless.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Keith_M
12-12-2020, 10:13 AM
Selfish Prick.

What about Hibs' sell on money?

Keith_M
12-12-2020, 10:16 AM
Do we actually know that??

Apparently the contract is weighted so much in St Mirren's favour that if SJM even got a Parking Ticket then St Mirren are entitled to 15%.

Aldo
12-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Apparently the contract is weighted so much in St Mirren's favour that if SJM even got a Parking Ticket then St Mirren are entitled to 15%.

[emoji23][emoji23]

Is It On....
12-12-2020, 10:38 AM
£80m plus player now

Celtic monitoring the situation ? 😂

MWHIBBIES
12-12-2020, 10:39 AM
£80m plus player now

Gotta be honest, no one is paying 80m for him. Hes not that good.

jacomo
12-12-2020, 10:50 AM

He’s better than Pogba. But less fashionable and without such an aggressive agent.

Lancs Harp
12-12-2020, 10:52 AM
He’s better than Pogba. But less fashionable and without such an aggressive agent.

and less a world cup winners medal of course :wink:

MWHIBBIES
12-12-2020, 11:00 AM

Pure talent wise, he isn't close to Pogba. He's never produced a level of performance that Pogba has on his best day. His mentality is of course miles ahead of Pogba.

jacomo
12-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Pure talent wise, he isn't close to Pogba. He's never produced a level of performance that Pogba has on his best day. His mentality is of course miles ahead of Pogba.

I’m being a bit tongue in cheek. But if you look at their contributions for their respective clubs over the past two seasons there is only one winner and it’s not the french guy.

J-C
12-12-2020, 11:17 AM

No one knows that, as far as I know St Mirren have had their share in full.

Green Reaper
12-12-2020, 12:32 PM
Brendan Rodgers will take him to arsenal I reckon.

Watching the North London derby last week I was thinking sjm was exactly the kind of player Arsenal were needing

dalkeith stu
12-12-2020, 12:42 PM

Thomas Lemar aslo has a world cup winners medal but i still wouldn't put him in our starting XI!!

vercol36
12-12-2020, 12:46 PM

...yet.

Lancs Harp
12-12-2020, 02:56 PM
Thomas Lemar aslo has a world cup winners medal but i still wouldn't put him in our starting XI!!

Hey dont get me wrong Im not exactly Pogba's greatest fan, I think the lad is talented but he needs to work on his application. He is talented though and I thought him having a World Cup winners medal was at least worth throwing into the discussion.

danhibees1875
12-12-2020, 03:53 PM
No one knows that, as far as I know St Mirren have had their share in full.

I don't think I made my joke clear enough there - I was saying, jokingly, that we'd end up giving more money than what we were receiving but got my words mixed up!

J-C
12-12-2020, 05:13 PM
I don't think I made my joke clear enough there - I was saying, jokingly, that we'd end up giving more money than what we were receiving but got my words mixed up!

👍

Shrekko
12-12-2020, 05:48 PM

I wonder if Hull and Leicester fans ever expected anyone to pay £80 million for Harry McGuire?

You never know these days!

If he was to be sold it would be for mega-money - that's for sure.

green with envy
12-12-2020, 09:40 PM

I really do believe that he could hold his own playing with a 'top six' team.

CMurdoch
13-12-2020, 02:03 AM
Can't see anyone paying more than £30 million for McGinn

HoboHarry
13-12-2020, 03:08 AM

Neither is Harry Maguire but that didn't stop Man Utd paying that amount for him.

hibee-boys
13-12-2020, 07:20 AM
I can only see John moving on from villa if they get relegated, they’ll not sell him whilst they are in the EPL and John’s not the type that would run down his contract forcing a sale. They sell Mcginn and recoup what, 30 to 40 million?.......good luck replacing him in today’s market with that!!

Iain G
13-12-2020, 10:35 AM
Great post. The lad will have his pick of clubs in the next year or so. Would love to see SJM play under Klopp and see how that would take him on. I'm sure Andy Robertson will be in Klopp's ear about him.

Would be worried if he ended up at Man Utd as they seem a bit purposeless.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Replacwment for that waste of space Pogba and he would be first name on the Man Utd teamsheet

Fergus52
13-12-2020, 11:10 AM

Fees for players going between premiership teams are ridiculously inflated right now.

Plenty of players worse than mcginn have been going for £40/£50 million plus recently.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2020, 11:15 AM
Fees for players going between premiership teams are ridiculously inflated right now.

Plenty of players worse than mcginn have been going for £40/£50 million plus recently.

Who are these players?

Magpie
13-12-2020, 11:26 AM
If he performs well at the Euro’s there will definitely be further interest. I’d be surprised if there haven’t been enquiries about him already, I think Villa will value him at least £50m.

Shrekko
13-12-2020, 12:26 PM

If anyone offered £30 million for McGinn Villa would laugh their heads off.

Very surprised at some of the comments on this thread in the context of prices in England. There are numerous examples of players who've cost well in excess of that who have done nothing or very little in the EPL. Joelinton at £40 million?

Untried English RESERVE players are going for £20 million.... Dominic Solanke Liverpool to Bournmouth for instance-£19 million...Rhian Brewster to Sheffield United - £24 million!!

McGinn is highly rated in England- bidding would start at £45 million plus.

HoboHarry
13-12-2020, 02:17 PM

Very surprised at some of the comments on this thread in the context of prices in England. There are numerous examples of players who've cost well in excess of that who have done nothing or very little in the EPL. Joelinton at £40 million?

Untried English RESERVE players are going for £20 million.... Dominic Solanke Liverpool to Bournmouth for instance-£19 million...Rhian Brewster to Sheffield United - £24 million!!

Not to mention 20 million for the galoot that is McBurnie.....

tamig
13-12-2020, 02:25 PM

Insurance. Guaranteed huge fee with that length of contract. Good for Villa and us.

tamig
13-12-2020, 02:36 PM

Exactly. Some folk seem to be a big ignorant of the English market.

MagicSwirlingShip
13-12-2020, 02:40 PM
40-50m a realistic valuation IMO.

No one is paying 80million for John McGinn. Not now, not ever.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2020, 02:44 PM
Exactly. Some folk seem to be a big ignorant of the English market.

What players like McGinn have gone for over 45 million?

Macguire aside, who is actually a very decent player as shown yesterday. Obviously not worth that but nowhere near as bad as folk make out.

Since90+2
13-12-2020, 02:46 PM

Timo Werner went to Chelsea for £47 million and he is a German international and forward who tend to attract the highest prices. He's also 2 years younger than McGinn.

Why would the bidding for McGinn start at almost the same price as Werner went for? Remember that the season prior to signing for Chelsea he was the top scorer in the one of the best leagues in the world.

Diego Jota is also 2 years younger than McGinn and is a Portuguese international, he went to Liverpool for £40 million.

Donny Van Den Beek signed from Ajax to Man Utd for £35 million. He is 3 years younger than McGinn and a Dutch international.

Giovanni Lo Celso signed for Spurs for £28 million from Betis, he's an Argentinian international and 2 years younger than McGinn.

This idea that McGinn is going for over £45 million is fantasy.

WeeRussell
13-12-2020, 02:58 PM

Macguire aside, who is actually a very decent player as shown yesterday. Obviously not worth that but nowhere near as bad as folk make out.

Folk correctly make out that 80m was a ridiculous price to pay for a player of Maguire’s quality. The same thing you’re doing with McGinn.

I agree that both are/would be silly money. Maguire still the more ridiculous in my opinion.

HoboHarry
13-12-2020, 03:05 PM
Timo Werner went to Chelsea for £47 million and he is a German international and forward who tend to attract the highest prices. He's also 2 years younger than McGinn.

Why would the bidding for McGinn start at almost the same price as Werner went for?

Diego Jota is also 2 years younger than McGinn and is a Portuguese international, he went to Liverpool for £40 million.

Donny Van Den Beek signed from Ajax to Man Utd for £35 million. He is 3 years younger than McGinn and a Dutch international.

Giovanni Lo Celso signed for Spurs for £28 million from Betis, he's an Argentinian international and 2 years younger than McGinn.

Werner had a release clause of 47M which Chelsea activated and it may well be that some of the others did too..

theonlywayisup
13-12-2020, 03:09 PM

Why would the bidding for McGinn start at almost the same price as Werner went for?

Without wanting to appear condescending any deal needs a seller, who's willing to sell, and a buyer, who's willing to buy. Depending on ones personal circumstances will dictate how much either party is willing to compromise to get the deal done.

I can see why someone may pay £45m plus for him. However, the buyer may think that there are better options elsewhere, like abroad. But spending £45m plus on a foreign player comes with a degree of risk!

Back to my buyer/seller comment. Why did Sunderland pay £10m (I think) for Gordon, when there was better/cheaper options around?

The Modfather
13-12-2020, 03:12 PM

Why would the bidding for McGinn start at almost the same price as Werner went for? Remember that the season prior to signing for Chelsea he was the top scorer in the one of the best leagues in the world.

There’s a premium on British players and transfers between English clubs. Some of the buys from championship clubs like Watkins for £27m or McBurnie Adam Webster, Bowen, Maupay for £20m. Or unproven guys like Brewster, £23m etc mean it isn’t that unrealistic to envision McGinn going for silly money of £40m or £50m with those premiums in mind, IMO.

tamig
13-12-2020, 03:13 PM

The point is that the EPL transfer market is ridiculous. Reserve players going for 20m+. Its daft. John McGinn is building a fantastic reputation for himself down there and there will be plenty clubs glad to pay in excess of 40m for his services.

Andy74
13-12-2020, 03:21 PM
The point is that the EPL transfer market is ridiculous. Reserve players going for 20m+. Its daft. John McGinn is building a fantastic reputation for himself down there and there will be plenty clubs glad to pay in excess of 40m for his services.

He would have been £40m better spent by Man U than Van de Beek, who they didn’t really need.

jacomo
13-12-2020, 06:27 PM

Fair enough. Stupid money but Harry Maguire does show that top English clubs will pay it.

Fergus52
13-12-2020, 07:16 PM
Who are these players?

Benteke - £40mill. Haller - £45mill. Mustafi - £37mill. Carroll - £35mill. Joelinton - £40mill. Xhaka - £35mill. Mangala - £41mill. Lacazette - £45mill. Jorginho - £50mill. Fred - £50mill. Kepa - £70mill. Pepe - £70mill.

Need anymore mate?

jacomo
13-12-2020, 07:33 PM
He would have been £40m better spent by Man U than Van de Beek, who they didn’t really need.

:agree:

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2020, 07:43 PM
Benteke - £40mill. Haller - £45mill. Mustafi - £37mill. Carroll - £35mill. Joelinton - £40mill. Xhaka - £35mill. Mangala - £41mill. Lacazette - £45mill. Jorginho - £50mill. Fred - £50mill. Kepa - £70mill. Pepe - £70mill.

Need anymore mate?

You think Jorginho is worse than McGinn? Yikes.

I think all of those players, excluding Joelinton and Carroll, all showed as much or more than McGinn has at the time of their transfers. No doubt some have been big flops but McGinn could quite easily be as well.

Jorginho was probably the best midfielder in Serie A, Lacazette scoring tons in France, Kepa chased by Real Madrid, Pepe 22 goals in France, Xhaka captain of a huge club in Germany, Mustafi a world cup winner, Benteke keeping Villa up on his own.

McGinn is good and him counting as homegrown would add money to his fee but he isn't as good as folk are making out. Probably only the 3rd best midfielder at Villa, after Grealish and Luiz.

Hibbyradge
13-12-2020, 07:50 PM
£80m plus player now

Imagine he was Spanish.

Or Brazilian.

Fergus52
13-12-2020, 08:00 PM

I think all of those players, excluding Joelinton and Carroll, all showed as much or more than McGinn has at the time of their transfers. No doubt some have been big flops but McGinn could quite easily be as well.

Jorginho was probably the best midfielder in Serie A, Lacazette scoring tons in France, Kepa chased by Real Madrid, Pepe 22 goals in France, Xhaka captain of a huge club in Germany, Mustafi a world cup winner, Benteke keeping Villa up on his own.

McGinn is good and him counting as homegrown would add money to his fee but he isn't as good as folk are making out. Probably only the 3rd best midfielder at Villa, after Grealish and Luiz.

Not saying McGinn is better than Jorginho, but in many teams he'd be more useful/effective. Arsenal are my English team and if you offered me them both right now I'd take McGinn every day - Jorginho too similiar to xhaka and ceballos so depends what your squad needs.

Absolutely not having that one - ask any villa fan who their most important player is after Grealish and they all say McGinn. I don't think theres anyone who watches villa regularly who would say Luiz is better.

DetroitHibs
13-12-2020, 08:24 PM
Man Utd paid 47 million for Fred. SJM is a far superior player IMO and much more valuable.

13-12-2020, 08:45 PM
An agent friend tells me the sell on is not 30% as someone has suggested but instead is 15% of the value over the initial transfer fee which was £3m.
What he couldn't tell me was if we'd have to pay St Mirren anything on a sell on (which was 1/3rd of the fee when Hibs transferred McGinn to Villa).
He also highlighted that Hibs had a similar deal on the Scott Brown transfer to Celtic - great on paper but Scott Brown never left Celtic so worthless.

Fingers cross McGinn continues to establish himself in the Premiership and a big move comes that will make him for life.....and Hibs a tidy sell-on.

Shrekko
14-12-2020, 12:21 AM

Grealish will probably go for around £80 million if sold so maybe not the best way to illustrate your point. Luiz is a Brazilian international at 22 so again even if your debatable opinion on that is true it doesn't mean a lot.

A lot of factors determine the price- length of contract, buy-out clauses, players wishes etc etc. but there are a few factors that will drive the price up if McGinn was sold (I dont think he will be for a good while) He's on a long contract and his financially stable club don't want to lose him for starters. There's also the fact he's proven himself already at EPL and international level. i think the big thing he has though is his style of play - there will always be a need for energy players in the UK. The fact is he has a bit of everything.

We can argue all day over who he's better than and who he's not but I think it's fairly obvious he'd be better value for money than a lot of the players already mentioned and really that is the only argument required to prove that it's at least probable that if he was sold it would be for a fee in the region of what we're talking about. It's either that or he won't be sold because theres no way Villa sell him for the same as other clubs are getting for 19 year old subs!

Phil MaGlass
14-12-2020, 07:19 AM
40-50m a realistic valuation IMO.

No one is paying 80million for John McGinn. Not now, not ever.

Before he left us I can sort of remember some folk on here were saying he wisnae worth 3 million.

gbhibby
14-12-2020, 12:19 PM
Who will?

When I posted was thinking not only EPL clubs but other European clubs.

mixumatosis
20-12-2020, 09:52 PM
I said that over two years ago about mctominey when mourinho was at utd and I watched them every week in person and got shot down.

he's miles better than mctominey.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Aye, Mctominay's pish, right enough 🤣

Phil MaGlass
28-12-2020, 05:59 PM
Anyone think we might get an extra few quid due to them staying up, amount of games played for Villa or any other extras?

Since452
28-12-2020, 06:03 PM
Anyone think we might get an extra few quid due to them staying up, amount of games played for Villa or any other extras?

He's a 50 million minimum player now

04Sauzee
28-12-2020, 06:05 PM
Looks twice the player that Ngolo K ante is tonight.

coco22
28-12-2020, 06:08 PM
Getting great plaudits from commentators. He’s just doing a McGinn but he’s up against arguably one of the best midfielders in the world. ‘Bulldozer...more than dynamic...more than up for it!’

The Count
28-12-2020, 06:12 PM
You have to remember that he is not with a smaller English club he is with a big club already.So as i see it to get big bucks for him there is only really 6 buyers in England.

Phil MaGlass
28-12-2020, 06:13 PM
Definitely having a good game, great chance that rattled the bar

Callum_62
28-12-2020, 06:27 PM
Definitely having a good game, great chance that rattled the barGreat effort rather than great chance

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

BroxburnHibee
28-12-2020, 06:28 PM
Was outstanding tonight.

Hibeesforever
28-12-2020, 06:30 PM
McGinn got the man of the match award, so the boy done good!

Robbo6-2
28-12-2020, 06:31 PM
MOM at Stamford Bridge,what a player.

He actually looks like hes stepped up level this season.

Shrekko
28-12-2020, 06:33 PM
It’s amazing that some Hibs fans still don’t seem to believe what a player he is.

Unbelievable what he did tonight seeing as he played 2 days ago in a team who played with 10 men for 60 mins. Absolute beast of a player- could play for any team in Britain.

mjhibby
28-12-2020, 06:49 PM
Can’t see him being at villa next season. Arsenal or Chelsea are crying out for a player like him. I’d even say Klopp could be interested if wijnaldum leaves. His passing has improved and his speed of thought too. I forgot of course fergie will be telling ole to sign him. Think he’s just becoming as top player and we could get a game changing amount of money if he goes. Whether villa sell is another matter.

BroxburnHibee
28-12-2020, 06:52 PM
Can’t see him being at villa next season. Arsenal or Chelsea are crying out for a player like him. I’d even say Klopp could be interested if wijnaldum leaves. His passing has improved and his speed of thought too. I forgot of course fergie will be telling ole to sign him. Think he’s just becoming as top player and we could get a game changing amount of money if he goes. Whether villa sell is another matter.

Yeah I think Man U would be a good fit for him. Especially if he keeps putting in performances like tonight.

greenginger
28-12-2020, 06:55 PM

Might have a sale figure in his new contract .

mjhibby
28-12-2020, 06:57 PM
There’s a premium on British players and transfers between English clubs. Some of the buys from championship clubs like Watkins for £27m or McBurnie Adam Webster, Bowen, Maupay for £20m. Or unproven guys like Brewster, £23m etc mean it isn’t that unrealistic to envision McGinn going for silly money of £40m or £50m with those premiums in mind, IMO.

Indeed. I’m sure he’s being talked about at a few clubs and virtually every villa game the pundits are raving about him. My money is on Man Utd for over £50m as they don’t hesitate when someone like McGinn becomes available. Plus he will hopefully still keep improving. I’m amazed can’t see just how good he’s become.

Billy Whizz
28-12-2020, 07:07 PM
John’s one of the players who needs to play every week. He gets that at Villa
I’m not sure these squad rotations at some of the top clubs would suit him

3pm
28-12-2020, 07:15 PM
Post match quite classy too.

Shrekko
28-12-2020, 07:17 PM
John’s one of the players who needs to play every week. He gets that at Villa
I’m not sure these squad rotations at some of the top clubs would suit him

Do you really think if one of the Champions League teams came calling and Villa accepted the bid that he’d say no?

Squad rotation just means some players play 50 games a season instead of 60.

He’d back himself to be a regular and wouldn’t turn down the chance to play for trophies at the highest level. He’s 26 now - and he’s ready.

Billy Whizz
28-12-2020, 07:19 PM
Do you really think if one of the Champions League teams came calling and Villa accepted the bid that he’d say no?

He’d back himself to be a regular and wouldn’t turn down the change to play for trophies at the highest level. He’s 26 now - and he’s ready.

I’m not saying he’d turn it down, just that McGinn is one of these players that wants to play every game

Wembley67
28-12-2020, 07:24 PM
Exactly. JM is a fantastic player but that doesn't mean he is going to suddenly slot into a top six team. Maybe this is his level? Look at say Zaha for example. Great at Palace but was utter pish Man U.

mjhibby
28-12-2020, 07:51 PM
Yeah I think Man U would be a good fit for him. Especially if he keeps putting in performances like tonight.

Love to see him playing alongside Bruno Fernandes.They would be a dynamite midfield. Btw is sjm good enough to get in the sellick team yet.🤣🤣🤣

worcesterhibby
28-12-2020, 07:59 PM
Exactly. JM is a fantastic player but that doesn't mean he is going to suddenly slot into a top six team. Maybe this is his level? Look at say Zaha for example. Great at Palace but was utter pish Man U.

Zaha has the ability, but not the attitude...SJM has a brilliant attitude

mjhibby
28-12-2020, 07:59 PM

He’d back himself to be a regular and wouldn’t turn down the chance to play for trophies at the highest level. He’s 26 now - and he’s ready.

McGinn is loyal but there will come a time he’ll move on. It all depends on what his ambitions are. With a contract worth £8/9m at villa money isn’t the issue. If we wants to be playing champions league and fighting for titles then he will move. Doubt he’ll move in January but come the summer with the lack of crowds draining teams of money then I suspect villa will get serious bids for him. Time will tell but John seems to have made the correct move each time he’s transferred and I’m sure he’ll do so again. Remember Robertson and tierney plus McGinn and Mctominay have shown how good Scottish players can be. I’d obviously like a big windfall for us but just be happy for John to go to a big club and see what he can do.

MWHIBBIES
28-12-2020, 08:06 PM

He played 4 games for Man United. Very harsh to call him pish

Saint Hibee
28-12-2020, 08:08 PM
Rightly or wrongly, Villa very much already consider themselves a “big club.” They’ve shown with Grealish that they’re serious about holding onto their best players.

Keyser Sauzee
28-12-2020, 08:37 PM
He’s got the quality to earn a move to any team but I think the price tag Villa would want will stop him moving.

3pm
28-12-2020, 08:48 PM
I don't see him moving.

Could see him playing for Mourinho though.

BroxburnHibee
28-12-2020, 08:52 PM
From Twitter.....

"How we got you for 2.5 million I’ll never know 🦁🦁🦁"

Wembley67
28-12-2020, 09:16 PM
He played 4 games for Man United. Very harsh to call him pish

Nope, he was pish for them. If he was half decent he would still be there.

MWHIBBIES
28-12-2020, 09:27 PM
Nope, he was pish for them. If he was half decent he would still be there.

He played 4 matches, mate. Man United made plenty of transfer mistakes in that time.

Wembley67
28-12-2020, 09:32 PM
He played 4 matches, mate. Man United made plenty of transfer mistakes in that time.

They did make many mistakes and if Zaha was such a good player if not man u then another big club would have taken him. Ps I'm not anti Zaha...just an example of a player at the right level of club 🙂

HoboHarry
28-12-2020, 09:58 PM
They did make many mistakes and if Zaha was such a good player if not man u then another big club would have taken him. Ps I'm not anti Zaha...just an example of a player at the right level of club 🙂
He's in the same camp as Morelos for me. Every transfer window his club make noises about fending off bids because he's so valuable but noone ever comes in for him anyway. Over rated by quite a way IMHO.

hibbysam
28-12-2020, 10:16 PM
He's in the same camp as Morelos for me. Every transfer window his club make noises about fending off bids because he's so valuable but noone ever comes in for him anyway. Over rated by quite a way IMHO.

Overrated? His stats speak for themselves this season. In a dire Palace team, he basically holds them together. Something like 8 goals and 2 assists in 14 games so far.

HoboHarry
28-12-2020, 10:21 PM
Overrated? His stats speak for themselves this season. In a dire Palace team, he basically holds them together. Something like 8 goals and 2 assists in 14 games so far.

And still none of the big clubs try to buy him which was what I was saying. Nor could he get picked for England.

hibbysam
28-12-2020, 10:22 PM
And still none of the big clubs try to buy him which was what I was saying.

You compared him to Alfredo Morelos. Zaha is one of the most important players in the Premier League in terms of their worth to his side. There really is nothing overrated about him. A top quality player, don’t it for a fairly crap team.

Both arsenal and Everton have had concrete bids rejected for him last summer.

HoboHarry
28-12-2020, 10:23 PM
You compared him to Alfredo Morelos. Zaha is one of the most important players in the Premier League in terms of their worth to his side. There really is nothing overrated about him. A top quality player, don’t it for a fairly crap team.
I didn't compare him to Morelos, I was comparing their respective teams efforts to sell them.

hibbysam
28-12-2020, 10:24 PM
I didn't compare him to Morelos, I was comparing their respective teams efforts to sell them.

So are you suggesting that Everton never bid £70m for him? Or Arsenal £40m last summer? Interesting.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2020, 12:41 AM

Clubs have tried.

Scott Allan Key
29-12-2020, 02:35 AM
The EPL is so open this season. Aston Villa might fancy doing a Leicester and if not, will still fancy the Champions League. Him and Grealish are two of the best midfielders in Britain and Villa don't need to sell.

I wouldn't be surprised if McGinn went to a 'traditional' Champions League Club if Villa fail in their realistic ambitions. But Arsenal and Chelsea are faultering at the moment and that leaves Liverpool, Man U and Spurs. Don't see him as a City player or going sideways to Everton either.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Aldo
29-12-2020, 07:41 AM
And still none of the big clubs try to buy him which was what I was saying. Nor could he get picked for England.

Zaha needs to be the big fish in the small pond imho. At Man U he was a minnow in a massive pond. They were also going through a period of transition and as it has been proved, the wrong move for him!

When a team the size of Man U comes in for you, you don’t turn them down, especially when you are 22/23.

He’s a really good player but not sure he’s good enough for a Liverpool, Chelsea or City type team.

Since90+2
29-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Zaha is a quality player. His stats have been as good as most wingers in that league consistently for years.

theonlywayisup
29-12-2020, 10:25 AM
Zaha is a quality player. His stats have been as good as most wingers in that league consistently for years.

Scored a good goal yesterday. He does look like a good player, whenever I've watched him. But I always feel that there's something not quite right about him that makes him a superstar. Maybe, he needs to play with better players.

Shrekko
29-12-2020, 11:11 AM
Comparing Zaha to McGinn isn't exactly like for like. Zaha was just a boy when he went to Man Utd and their playing styles and personalities aren't really comparable!

There are plenty of players who proved themselves at clubs like Villa who went on to do great things at bigger clubs -Ashley Young, James Milner, Gareth Barry etc. I've no idea why anyone would assume that if McGinn went to a 'top 6' club he'd fail?

Villa themselves might end up a top 6 club pretty soon the way things are going and I don't think anyone would argue that McGinn is a big part of that.

Box to box midfield dynamos are rare commodities these days- something the analysts referred to on several occasions last night. There are no guarantees in football but McGinn tends to rise to whatever challenge he faces. Really surprised that ANY Hibs fan would talk him down.

jacomo
29-12-2020, 11:15 AM

Maybe they did but Palace’s valuation was too high? Maybe he’s happy enough and will only leave for enormous wages?

Zaha was perceived to have flopped at Man Utd, which may give ‘big’ clubs doubts, although he was young when he went there and didn’t get a huge amount of opportunities.

Lendo
29-12-2020, 09:03 PM
Aston Villa (@AVFCOfficial) Tweeted: "We are very fortunate to be able to go and do what we love, which a lot of people aren't getting to do at the moment, so we're not taking that for granted." 💯

@JMcGinn7 joined VillaTV following his outstanding display at Stamford Bridge last night. 🗣️ https://t.co/2LA0F81nmp

Brilliant interview from John after the Chelsea game. Such a humble and honest bloke. Villa really don’t know how lucky they are to have him in their dressing room.

Hibby70
31-12-2020, 10:30 AM
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-mcginn-aston-villa-chelsea-19533149.amp

Tarrahib
31-12-2020, 11:29 AM
Aston Villa (@AVFCOfficial) Tweeted: "We are very fortunate to be able to go and do what we love, which a lot of people aren't getting to do at the moment, so we're not taking that for granted." 💯

@JMcGinn7 joined VillaTV following his outstanding display at Stamford Bridge last night. 🗣️ https://t.co/2LA0F81nmp

Brilliant interview from John after the Chelsea game. Such a humble and honest bloke. Villa really don’t know how lucky they are to have him in their dressing room.
I think Villa really do know how lucky they are to have him in their dressing room.