PDA

View Full Version : Contract talks

Pretty Green
11-12-2020, 10:12 AM
Gone a bit quiet on the contract talks for Marciano and Newell and it is less than 3 weeks until they both are able to talk to other clubs. Has anyone heard anything or is it just me that's a bit worried?

hhibs
11-12-2020, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=Pretty Green;6378312]Gone a bit quiet on the contract talks for Marciano and Newell and it is less than 3 weeks until they both are able to talk to other clubs. Has anyone heard anything or is it just me that's a bit worried?[/QUOTE

All quiet till it is signed, sealed and delivered I would have thought.

Northernhibee
11-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Given how much Ofir and Shelley Marciano seem settled I'd be surprised if they didn't renew. I'm a little more concerned about Joe Newell.

CentreLine
11-12-2020, 02:21 PM
Given how much Ofir and Shelley Marciano seem settled I'd be surprised if they didn't renew. I'm a little more concerned about Joe Newell.

Yes. Maybe there’s a reason he’s suddenly showing up as a top player. Hope that’s not the case but he’s turning in motm performances most weeks now. Be very unhappy to see him not sign up for an extension.

Andy74
11-12-2020, 02:26 PM
Yes. Maybe there’s a reason he’s suddenly showing up as a top player. Hope that’s not the case but he’s turning in motm performances most weeks now. Be very unhappy to see him not sign up for an extension.

He’s not suddenly showed up at all.

brog
11-12-2020, 02:34 PM

I like Joe but I'm not sure he's holding too many cards in contract negotiations. For all that he was excellent on Saturday, he was average at best in our prior 2 games against Dundee & St J and he's scored 1 league goal so far. I believe he's enjoying his time in Edinburgh & I would expect Joe to sign an extension.

The Modfather
11-12-2020, 02:41 PM
I like Joe but I'm not sure he's holding too many cards in contract negotiations. For all that he was excellent on Saturday, he was average at best in our prior 2 games against Dundee & St J and he's scored 1 league goal so far. I believe he's enjoying his time in Edinburgh & I would expect Joe to sign an extension.

Yep, I’d be happy to see Newell stay, but he’s far from irreplaceable IMO and I’d like to see him transitioned into the type of quality squad player Aberdeen have. I would look at other midfielders and upgrading them before Newell though.

1van Sprou7e
11-12-2020, 02:47 PM
Europe next season might be a big incentive for players remember

The 90+2
11-12-2020, 02:51 PM
Europe next season might be a big incentive for players remember

Cant really see that being the case.

houstonhibbee
11-12-2020, 03:00 PM
Gone a bit quiet on the contract talks for Marciano and Newell and it is less than 3 weeks until they both are able to talk to other clubs. Has anyone heard anything or is it just me that's a bit worried?
There’s an in depth interview with Graeme Mathie in the EEN today that covers everything

Hibs90
11-12-2020, 03:29 PM
Marciano for me is a must. Another 2 years please.

Newell another year at least but I agree he is not irreplaceable.

JohnM1875
11-12-2020, 03:31 PM
Weird one with Newell. I really like him and think he's been one of our best players this season. But I wouldn't be gutted if he doesn't stay.

I think a there's more to come from him though! And actually think he will sign an extension.

davhibby
11-12-2020, 03:35 PM

Third place assuming Rangers or Celtic win the cup would mean group stage football so I’d imagine that would be appealing to most players

1van Sprou7e
11-12-2020, 03:35 PM

Why not?

davhibby
11-12-2020, 03:36 PM

I’m getting a bit worried about Lennon trying to get Marciano on the cheap in January

The 90+2
11-12-2020, 03:38 PM
Why not?

A couple of games in Europe against random opponents isn’t going to be more appealing than an extra £500 a week in the bank.

The 90+2
11-12-2020, 03:38 PM
I’m getting a bit worried about Lennon trying to get Marciano on the cheap in January

I don’t think he would like Wycombe much.

Hibs90
11-12-2020, 03:50 PM

Lennon won't see the end of January.

*as Celtic manager

jeffers
11-12-2020, 04:02 PM
Really hope we get Marciano’s contract extended, Newell I’m less bothered about and I’d imagine he’s one of our higher earners..

HFC93
11-12-2020, 04:21 PM
A couple of games in Europe against random opponents isn’t going to be more appealing than an extra £500 a week in the bank.

As has already been said, if we secure third, it could be more than one or two games.

The 90+2
11-12-2020, 04:38 PM
As has already been said, if we secure third, it could be more than one or two games.

That very rarely happens though so I don’t think it would be a massive selling point to someone like Joe Newel.

HFC93
11-12-2020, 04:55 PM
That very rarely happens though so I don’t think it would be a massive selling point to someone like Joe Newel.

I think thrid place guarantees qualification for the group stages of the new Euro competition so presumably at least 6 games. Also, Joe Newel might be less pessimistic than yourself about our prospects.

dalkeith stu
11-12-2020, 05:19 PM

More chance of a few games in Europe with us than some sh*t Championship or League One side TBF!!

The 90+2
11-12-2020, 05:22 PM
I think thrid place guarantees qualification for the group stages of the new Euro competition so presumably at least 6 games. Also, Joe Newel might be less pessimistic than yourself about our prospects.

History isn’t on our side. European football for a player of any club outside Glasgow isn’t ever a selling point.

The 90+2
11-12-2020, 05:22 PM
More chance of a few games in Europe with us than some sh*t Championship or League One side TBF!!

Not if you’re from England and they offer more money.

davhibby
11-12-2020, 06:20 PM
Lennon won't see the end of January.

*as Celtic manager

With the way the board have been going at Celtic you never know

davhibby
11-12-2020, 06:22 PM
We’re well in the hunt for 3rd right now and that would get you 8 games minimum. Possibly all of those would be in the Europa League

Hibernian Verse
11-12-2020, 11:11 PM
Third would put us into the playoff round which is the one before the group stages. Lose that and we would fall into the new competition's groups.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

J-C
12-12-2020, 08:22 AM

Do you think Newell may be a bit home sick re family etc during this Covid, I know Jackson wanted back south due to Covid and to be closer to family.

Diclonius
12-12-2020, 08:35 AM

The Marcianos can quite happily stick around in Edinburgh while Ofir plays in Glasgow.

hibbysam
12-12-2020, 08:41 AM
One of our most important players, and folk aren’t overly bothered if he stays or not. Mental. Joe Newell is integral to our team, one of the first on the team sheet and one of our best players, getting better and better, and has his best years ahead of him. I’ll be gutted if he doesn’t sign an extension, and he’ll be extremely difficult to replace.

The Modfather
12-12-2020, 08:54 AM
One of our most important players, and folk aren’t overly bothered if he stays or not. Mental. Joe Newell is integral to our team, one of the first on the team sheet and one of our best players, getting better and better, and has his best years ahead of him. I’ll be gutted if he doesn’t sign an extension, and he’ll be extremely difficult to replace.

I think most would like him to stay, me included, and he’s well down on the list of midfielders to move on/upgrade first. However I don’t see him as irreplaceable. He still has too many games that pass him by, in his defence he does have more games where he has an influence. I think the criticism I’ve seen that he is good when things are going well but less so when things aren’t is fair. I want to see him take a game we’re struggling in by the scruff of the neck and drive us on (literally)

hibbysam
12-12-2020, 09:08 AM
I think most would like him to stay, me included, and he’s well down on the list of midfielders to move on/upgrade first. However I don’t see him as irreplaceable. He still has too many games that pass him by, in his defence he does have more games where he has an influence. I think the criticism I’ve seen that he is good when things are going well but less so when things aren’t is fair. I want to see him take a game we’re struggling in by the scruff of the neck and drive us on (literally)

That’s not his game and never has been, never will be. You also can’t have all three midfielders like that, we’d be all over the place. Technically he’s outstanding, he covers a lot of ground and dictates our play. Getting the ball to our attacking players quickly to allow them to do their jobs. A game we were struggling in last week and his influence turned it on its head. There’s been plenty games that he’s had a solid influence in regards to us getting a result, very rarely does a game ‘pass him by’.

CmoantheHibs
12-12-2020, 09:38 AM
Spot on. I’d be gutted too. We have a player who willingly does the dirty work, works his socks off but is also creative, classy and brings composure to our play. When we play 2 against 3 in central midfield it’s not Joes responsibility to take the game by the scruff of the neck. It’s to contain the opposition midfield and get the ball to the areas of the pitch where we have overloads. When we play a 3 in central midfield he is usually much more influential and gets forward into scoring situations more regularly Think he will start scoring more goals when he is given more licence to get forward.

MWHIBBIES
12-12-2020, 10:07 AM
The Marcianos can quite happily stick around in Edinburgh while Ofir plays in Glasgow.

Has there ever been even a bad tabloid article linking him with the old firm? Why does this keep coming up