PDA

View Full Version : Alex Cropley

gbhibby
10-12-2020, 11:16 AM
Been announced that Alex has been diagnosed with dementia. Horrible disease. Happening to too many ex footballers.

CentreLine
10-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Bloody awful. He gave us such joy on the pitch. Just awful

Baker9
10-12-2020, 11:25 AM
I am very sorry to hear this. Best wishes to him and his family.

Betty Boop
10-12-2020, 11:26 AM
Aw terrible news Was Alex driving taxis ?

hhibs
10-12-2020, 11:28 AM
Been announced that Alex has been diagnosed with dementia. Horrible disease. Happening to too many ex footballers.

So sad ,terrible disease, may he and his family get all the support they will need.

A fabulous footballer who I was fortunate to see during the Tornado's era.

gbhibby
10-12-2020, 11:29 AM
Aw terrible news Was Alex driving taxis ?
Yes was black cab driver.

Ringothedog
10-12-2020, 11:30 AM
Very sad to hear, he was my favourite player in that Hibernian team

Bostonhibby
10-12-2020, 11:39 AM
Sad,sad news, one of my heroes and a really nice guy as well. All the best Crops.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Seveno
10-12-2020, 11:39 AM
So sad. A wonderful member of the Tornadoes and one of my all time heroes.

superfurryhibby
10-12-2020, 11:44 AM
That’s two of that great side suffering from that horrible illness. Peter Cormack too.

Very sad to hear that about Cropley, it’s a terrible price to pay for having played football.

BSEJVT
10-12-2020, 11:50 AM
Very sad indeed

Alex was a great player who like John Brownlie was never able to properly fulfill his potential after serious injuries early in their career.

He was a very hard laddie with no little amount of ability

My very best wishes to him and his family

Things like this remind you how lucky those of us who witnessed the Tornadoes were to have seen a team of such individually great players as well as a great team.

Despite all it meant to me, it would be a very hard decision for me to make whether to choose to revisit in real life the Scottish Cup Win or the Tornadoes in full flow against for example Sporting Lisbon.

Maybe one day when I have the time I will sit back in my chair and let my mind wander over these halcyon days.

bingo70
10-12-2020, 11:51 AM
Read lots of glowing tweets about him form supporters of various clubs down south. Way before my time but sounds like he was a terrific player.

Why did he only win 2 Scotland caps? Was there someone ahead of him in that era that he just couldn’t displace?

The 90+2
10-12-2020, 11:52 AM
Absolute gent of a guy. Wish him all the best. Love to his family too.

hibsfan7
10-12-2020, 11:57 AM
sad news to hear about this great player in a great team

superfurryhibby
10-12-2020, 12:16 PM
Read lots of glowing tweets about him form supporters of various clubs down south. Way before my time but sounds like he was a terrific player.

Why did he only win 2 Scotland caps? Was there someone ahead of him in that era that he just couldn’t displace?

Two broken legs at Arsenal and another at Villa. Not the only factors given the quality available to the national side, but those were horrific injuries and ultimately they restricted what could have been a glorious career.

My memory of Cropley as a boy was of a wee skelf of a blond heided man who tackled fearlessly and scored plenty of goals.

What a left hand side to the team with Schades, Cropley and Duncan all linking up to surge down the flank.

Bright_Hibee
10-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Really awful news to hear. He was a great player and gave me and other Hibs fans fantastic moments to celebrate and look back on fondly.

O'Rourke3
10-12-2020, 12:23 PM
My thoughts go to Alex and the family. He was a brilliant player in a great team and I loved watching him play. I remember David Coleman raving about his performance on the Elland Road leg of the UEFA Cup.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

J-C
10-12-2020, 12:25 PM
Not seen him for a good while on the road, heard he retired from the cabs a couple years ago, horrible disease.

BILLYHIBS
10-12-2020, 12:44 PM
My heart goes out to Crops and his family

Such a great player, heart of a lion, wand of a left peg, 8 stone dripping wet, loved a goal against the Hearts

He also suffered bad injuries at Brockville and at Pittodrie playing for Scotland

Pretty sure Pat Stanton picked him out as his favourite from the Tornadoes in a recent interview

eastterrace
10-12-2020, 12:50 PM
Seen Alex play in the tornadoes era, great player with a big heart. Also use to drink in his pub nearly every night ( my wife worked behind the bar on footie days) so got to know him pretty well him and liz. So sad to hear that news.

erin go bragh
10-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Had the pleasure of meeting Crops at his parents house a few years ago . I was working with a jambo and after he shook his hand , I gladly told him , he just shook the hand of the guy that scored 2 in your record defeat.
Sad news indeed.

Hiber-nation
10-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Sad news. Used to have a blether with Alex regularly when he had the Iona (or Cropley's as it was). Lovely guy.

Iggy Pope
10-12-2020, 01:18 PM
Alex hasn’t been well for a while but always with a smile. I count him and Liz as pals, brilliant people aside from his sheer brilliance. Sodjer on Alex.

brog
10-12-2020, 01:43 PM

Alex won his only 2 caps at the age of 20 against Portugal & Belgium & we won both. Unfortunately we were already out of qualifying for the European Championships. Alex was injured in the 2nd game & was substituted at ht by Kenny Dalglish winning his 1st cap. A few months later Alex suffered his 1st leg break, inflicted by Alex Ferguson at Brockville. Shades tried to kick down the Falkirk dressing room to get at Fergie! When Alex returned for the next season Scotland had played 8 games without him & Tommy Docherty would soon be replaced by Willie Ormond. Strangely although there were a number of left sided players available to us at that time, eg the Gray brothers, Archie Gemmill, Asa Hartford, we played a very narrow formation with Willie Morgan our only wide player. It also seemed that every time Alex got quoted for a call up he suffered another leg break. Alex deserved to win many more caps. To put it into perspective if you could ask the Tornadoes to name their favourite teammate Alex would have been the runaway winner.

surreyhibbie
10-12-2020, 01:53 PM
Terrible news, one of my boyhood heroes.

Had the honour of meeting him at the Cup final, before the game in hospitality, gave me his autograph.

Then later in the Artisan after the game, had a wee word with him, will never forget it.

Lovely guy, and a real gentleman.

Iggy Pope
10-12-2020, 02:52 PM
Seen Alex play in the tornadoes era, great player with a big heart. Also use to drink in his pub nearly every night ( my wife worked behind the bar on footie days) so got to know him pretty well him and liz. So sad to hear that news.

Mine too!

hughio
10-12-2020, 03:18 PM
Alex won his only 2 caps at the age of 20 against Portugal & Belgium & we won both. Unfortunately we were already out of qualifying for the European Championships. Alex was injured in the 2nd game & was substituted at ht by Kenny Dalglish winning his 1st cap. A few months later Alex suffered his 1st leg break, inflicted by Alex Ferguson at Brockville. Shades tried to kick down the Falkirk dressing room to get at Fergie! When Alex returned for the next season Scotland had played 8 games without him & Tommy Docherty would soon be replaced by Willie Ormond. Strangely although there were a number of left sided players available to us at that time, eg the Gray brothers, Archie Gemmill, Asa Hartford, we played a very narrow formation with Willie Morgan our only wide player. It also seemed that every time Alex got quoted for a call up he suffered another leg break. Alex deserved to win many more caps. To put it into perspective if you could ask the Tornadoes to name their favourite teammate Alex would have been the runaway winner.

Good post brog.Answers the question why he wasn't capped more.

Such a brave tackler, skillful passer and a great engine.

Onion
10-12-2020, 03:39 PM
Terrible news, so sorry to hear this. Wish him and his family all the very best in their battle against this horrible disease.

greenginger
10-12-2020, 04:01 PM
I remember playing football with Alex on Sundays, on the pitches at Portobello Park, up from the golf course . We were about 13 / 14 years old and games were very informal, just turn up and you got stuck on one side or the other.
We all wore gym shoes or baseball boots except Crops. He’d have his football boots with 3/4” steel studs and played serious.
I think we all knew even then he was going to be a pro.

Really sorry to hear about his illness.

JohnMcM
10-12-2020, 04:32 PM
Horrible news. Best wishes to you Alex and your loved ones.

whiskyhibby
10-12-2020, 05:12 PM
Can only hope for the best for Crops, what a player, hard as nails but skilful and quick with it , would be worth 10’s of £M in today’s market

andudare2
10-12-2020, 05:27 PM
I remember playing football with Alex on Sundays, on the pitches at Portobello Park, up from the golf course . We were about 13 / 14 years old and games were very informal, just turn up and you got stuck on one side or the other.
We all wore gym shoes or baseball boots except Crops. He’d have his football boots with 3/4” steel studs and played serious.

Really sorry to hear about his illness.I played in lots of those games as well,was a Magdalene institution!!😁

whiskyhibby
10-12-2020, 05:49 PM
Can only hope for the best for Crops, what a player, hard as nails but skilful and quick with it , would be worth 10’s of £M in today’s market

Cheshire Hibby
10-12-2020, 06:46 PM
Very sad indeed to read about this. A fabulous player that gave everything - utter class. My thoughts are with Alex and his family.

A Hi-Bee
10-12-2020, 07:56 PM
Very sad news for sure can only wish all the best to Alex and family, one of the best I seen in almost 60 years watching Hibs.

Jonnyboy
10-12-2020, 08:22 PM
Gutted to hear this. Crops was a cracking player and probably too fearless for his own good - hence some horrific injuries.

GTMRossaK3
10-12-2020, 08:46 PM
Gutted to hear this. Crops was a cracking player and probably too fearless for his own good - hence some horrific injuries.

Watched Alex play many many times and he was just a joy to see play - what you paid your money for to be entertained. Surprised to hear this diagnosis, given all the recent publicity regarding heading being cited as a recognised cause of this illness - he was never a player you associated with heading.
All the very best to Alex and all his family and friends.

tamig
10-12-2020, 08:59 PM
Watched Alex play many many times and he was just a joy to see play - what you paid your money for to be entertained. Surprised to hear this diagnosis, given all the recent publicity regarding heading being cited as a recognised cause of this illness - he was never a player you associated with heading.
All the very best to Alex and all his family and friends.

Very sad news about one of my boyhood heroes who I was lucky enough to see in the flesh. My own dad succumbed to the disease two years ago. It respects nobody. There will be a few other ex-players who barely headed a ball who will suffer from it too. The evidence does seem to point towards constant heading and head clashes as increasing the risk of developing it though.

Good luck to you and your family Alex.

JimBHibees
11-12-2020, 05:47 AM
What a fantastic footballer he was. Can remember him handing out medals to the kids team I was in just after he left Hibs. Very sad to hear.

Crammond Hibee
11-12-2020, 08:15 AM
Sad 😢

Bostonhibby
11-12-2020, 08:22 AM

Really sorry to hear about his illness.Our paths might have crossed, we used to watch out for him when he was visiting what we called granny Cropley, his relative who lived in the balconies in Magdalene.

Greenbeard
11-12-2020, 08:47 AM
That volley.

greenginger
11-12-2020, 09:14 AM
G
Our paths might have crossed, we used to watch out for him when he was visiting what we called granny Cropley, his relative who lived in the balconies in Magdalene.

Was that the block in Magdalene Drive that looks like it was built the wrong way round ? :greengrin

I remember Alex and his older brother Tam were in a flat in Magdalene Avenue when we were all school kids.

Bostonhibby
11-12-2020, 09:35 AM
G

Was that the block in Magdalene Drive that looks like it was built the wrong way round ? :greengrin

I remember Alex and his older brother Tam were in a flat in Magdalene Avenue when we were all school kids.Magdalene Avenue, top flat I think. Shared a back "green" with the Drive though.

Hibiza
11-12-2020, 09:53 AM
All the very best Alex , to you and family.

CockneyRebel
11-12-2020, 10:52 AM
A gentleman and a scholar. I remember when he had Cropley's Bar in Easter Road and me and my pals were regulars there due to the the great pre-match atmosphere I would go in there before matches with my then 8 year old son before lifting him over for the match. Alex used to regularly chase my boy around the pub because he kept playing the fruit machines (underage) and threaten to bar him (while giving me the wink). He occasionally gave us a couple complimentary match tickets and to my shame I used them to get my Father in law and myself into the match and still lifted my boy over. I went to a couple of cup finals on the bus he would run from Cropleys and he used to comiserate with me on the way back after a thumping (Aberdeen and Celtic I seem to recall) saying that the rest of the bus was used to it as Hibs had previous for poor Hampden performances.

He was a fantastic player and I wish that he, Stanton, Blackley, Brownlie, Schades etc had earned the sort of money that some of the imposters earn these days. Been in his taxi a few times and he asked about my boy and talked football for the whole journey.

I wish him all the best through this terrible illness - love the man.

CLASS OF 72 -73
11-12-2020, 11:05 AM
Terrible news about my hero of the 70's in that magical Tornadoes team. Considering his build he was fearless, skillful and an absolute joy to watch. Going on to play for the likes of Villa and Arsenal tells you how good he was.
Wishing you strength legend.

EI255
11-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Very sad to hear.

Would be great to have a player like him right now in our starting xi !

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Biscuit
11-12-2020, 12:32 PM
One of my favourite players when I started going to games in the 70’s - so sad to hear this news.

related story- been living in Cheltenham last few years & earlier this year i answered the door whilst wearing my hibs top (other clothing was worn also!) and the Brummie courier just pointed to my top and said Alex Cropley! Nuff said.....

PatHead
11-12-2020, 01:23 PM
Really sorry to hear that news. A great player who was unlucky with injuries. Met him a few times at the Radical Road. Is a lovely guy as well.

PatHead
11-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Very sad indeed

Alex was a great player who like John Brownlie was never able to properly fulfill his potential after serious injuries early in their career.

He was a very hard laddie with no little amount of ability

My very best wishes to him and his family

Things like this remind you how lucky those of us who witnessed the Tornadoes were to have seen a team of such individually great players as well as a great team.

Despite all it meant to me, it would be a very hard decision for me to make whether to choose to revisit in real life the Scottish Cup Win or the Tornadoes in full flow against for example Sporting Lisbon.

Maybe one day when I have the time I will sit back in my chair and let my mind wander over these halcyon days.

Fortunately we don't have to choose between them and the cup winners. Just sit back and enjoy the memories.

superfurryhibby
11-12-2020, 01:25 PM
https://www.gla.ac.uk/news/archiveofnews/2019/october/headline_681082_en.html

Link to the study from Glasgow University.

Former professional footballers are 3 times more likely to die from neurodegenerative disorder.

G B Young
11-12-2020, 01:29 PM
Something that always strikes me when watching footage of the Tornadoes is how guys like Cropley could hit a long pass so sweetly (ie accurately). It's a skill which seems beyond a lot of today's players.

andudare2
11-12-2020, 02:30 PM
G

I remember Alex and his older brother Tam were in a flat in Magdalene Avenue when we were all school kids.
Your spot on in regards to the Cropely family staying there. Tam was a quality player as well preferred the golf i think.Im younger than Alex but a few of us younger guys got a game in the golfy with the older guys,was an education in the game to say the least🤣🤣🤣

greenginger
11-12-2020, 03:56 PM
Your spot on in regards to the Cropely family staying there. Tam was a quality player as well preferred the golf i think.Im younger than Alex but a few of us younger guys got a game in the golfy with the older guys,was an education in the game to say the least🤣🤣🤣

Was Ralph Callaghan , who lived in the Christians, one of your younger crew. I remember him as one of the wee guys who got put out the game when enough big lads showed up.

Bostonhibby
11-12-2020, 04:04 PM
Was Ralph Callaghan , who lived in the Christians, one of your younger crew. I remember him as one of the wee guys who got put out the game when enough big lads showed up.One or two from the Christian's were decent[emoji6] Ralph definitely. Drew Brand kept goal for Everton as well.

Cropleys family member lived in the Avenue balconies, the ones that faced down to Milton road and the golf course and football pitches. Another very good player from that time and same back green was Davie Steedman who was on Hibs books for a while .

andudare2
11-12-2020, 05:07 PM
Was Ralph Callaghan , who lived in the Christians, one of your younger crew. I remember him as one of the wee guys who got put out the game when enough big lads showed up.
Ralph certainly was,another good player,we played under 15,s together. Ralph was dedicated, was always going to go senior. Still see him now and then.

andudare2
11-12-2020, 05:10 PM
One or two from the Christian's were decent[emoji6] Ralph definitely. Drew Brand kept goal for Everton as well.

Cropleys family member lived in the Avenue balconies, the ones that faced down to Milton road and the golf course and football pitches. Another very good player from that time and same back green was Davie Steedman who was on Hibs books for a while .

Know both Davie and Drew,brought up in Magdalene Medway so know most folk either a bit older or younger from that era.

andudare2
11-12-2020, 05:18 PM
One or two from the Christian's were decent[emoji6] Ralph definitely. Drew Brand kept goal for Everton as well.

Law Dunne from Magdalene was with Hibs around the same time as well.Think Gary Wood and Ricky Lyall trained with Hibs back then as well.Ricky Huston from the Christians was another good yin around my age,went down to Coventry City,played in same under 15 team as Ralph and mysel.

Iggy Pope
11-12-2020, 05:19 PM
Something that always strikes me when watching footage of the Tornadoes is how guys like Cropley could hit a long pass so sweetly (ie accurately). It's a skill which seems beyond a lot of today's players.

Agreed. I used to bunk off to watch Hibs pre season at places like the JKC and people like Alex and also Alex Edwards would entertain their team mates with ridiculous precision. Watching Erich Schaedler trying to emulate them was something they loved. Halcyon days. Wish I had appreciated it more at the time.

Bostonhibby
11-12-2020, 05:26 PM
Know both Davie and Drew,brought up in Magdalene Medway so know most folk either a bit older or younger from that era.

Was at school with Davie, had to box against him at school camp!

I used to live on the drive at the corner of the medway. Quite few Hibs and Hearts fans in that wee corner back in the day.

brog
11-12-2020, 05:38 PM

Davie Steedman was a good guy, I worked with him for a while, I think he was at Stirling A at the time. On a Saturday evening a lot of the Edinburgh based footballers would stop off at the Corrie Inn for a pint on way home & to see Jimmy O who was at Motherwell by then. Davie was a regular attendee & it was great crack. You didn't need to buy a Pink, you got live, though definitely not neutral, reports.

greenginger
11-12-2020, 05:45 PM
Law Dunne from Magdalene was with Hibs around the same time as well.Think Gary Wood and Ricky Lyall trained with Hibs back then as well.Ricky Huston from the Christians was another good yin around my age,went down to Coventry City,played in same under 15 team as Ralph and mysel.

Another two two names from Magdalene area that I thought got pro contracts somewhere were Duncan Livingston and Russel Robertson.

kaimendhibs
11-12-2020, 06:02 PM
Very sad news. Was lucky enough to see Alex play for the Hibees and was starstruck when got in his taxi a while back

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

andudare2
11-12-2020, 06:43 PM
Another two two names from Magdalene area that I thought got pro contracts somewhere were Duncan Livingston and Russel Robertson.
Sure Russell signed for Motherwell, Know Duncan was a good player no idea if he went pro though,another name from back then is Tam Bailie,good player as well. Think him and Crops may have been cousin's.

greenginger
11-12-2020, 06:54 PM
Sure Russell signed for Motherwell, Know Duncan was a good player no idea if he went pro though,another name from back then is Tam Bailie,good player as well. Think him and Crops may have been cousin's.

Tam Bailie ? Are you not thinking of Tam Blackie who stayed in Bailie Grove.

jingler1954
11-12-2020, 06:59 PM
I met John [dixie] Deehan in Spain this summer. He played with Crops at Aston Villa. He was very complementary about Alex’s talents. He also told me he had dementia and was taking tablets to slow the progress of the disease. It was great listening to all his stories, I recorded a message from him to Crops. Sad times for quite a few footballers from that era.

andudare2
11-12-2020, 07:03 PM
Tam Bailie ? Are you not thinking of Tam Blackie who stayed in Bailie Grove.
Spot on with that m8,think they all done the cycle speedway together, track at top of Magdalene Gardens.

brog
11-12-2020, 07:51 PM
This is a classic Hibs Net thread. Touching & affectionate with regards to Crops but branching off in various nostalgia directions although still with a Crops association. No bickering, just Hibs Net at its enjoyable best.

Iggy Pope
11-12-2020, 08:11 PM
This is a classic Hibs Net thread. Touching & affectionate with regards to Crops but branching off in various nostalgia directions although still with a Crops association. No bickering, just Hibs Net at its enjoyable best.

Agreed.

BILLYHIBS
11-12-2020, 08:25 PM
I remember Crops in his twilight years playing for Liberton Cropley

We got drawn against them in the Scottish and all the Jambos in our side were quick to tell everyone what they were going to do to him

Didn’t quite work out that way

He saw them coming last week and yes we lost and they were sorry laddies

Respect

:not worth

BSEJVT
11-12-2020, 08:37 PM

Just before my time but what was Ricky Lyall like as a player.

His wee brother is one of my oldest mates and we grew up together in Marlborough Street.

Know Richard well also but have never known anyone who knew him as a player and am curious

I would imagine him to have been fast and skilful but maybe not hardy enough for the football played at that time?

andudare2
11-12-2020, 08:50 PM
Just before my time but what was Ricky Lyall like as a player.

His wee brother is one of my oldest mates and we grew up together in Marlborough Street.

Know Richard well also but have never known anyone who knew him as a player and am curious

I would imagine him to have been fast and skilful but maybe not hardy enough for the football played at that time?
As far as i remember he was skillful ,fast and tenacious. Last i seen him was nearly 50 years ago though so best i can remember, sorry.

superfurryhibby
11-12-2020, 08:53 PM

:top marks

Feeling quite emotional tonight. Loving the love for a guy who stopped playing for Hibs so long ago, but who obviously made such an impression, whether you know him personally or whether you just watched him as an awestruck laddie.

Roxyhibee
11-12-2020, 10:04 PM
What a great footballer - unbelievable skills, non stop work rate, brave and hard as nails. Just thinking of watching Alex Cropley playing in that iconic Hibs strip for all those years makes me realise how lucky I was to see him. A real honest, caring man too. His life story told in his brilliant autobiography is the stuff of dreams. True legend.

greenginger
11-12-2020, 10:19 PM
Spot on with that m8,think they all done the cycle speedway together, track at top of Magdalene Gardens.

I see Tam Blackie most home games ( when we’re allowed in ). He’s got a season ticket and sits in the lower west not far from myself. Not a cousin of Alex though.

Wee Scottie Dug
11-12-2020, 10:22 PM
Magdalene Avenue, top flat I think. Shared a back "green" with the Drive though.

Yip , top flat , 2/18 from memory I was 2/5 - those were great games to play in but I normally got emptied when the bigger lads were available - Tam Cropley was some player too - hard as nails - remember playing against him and Brian Droudge(sp?) 2/10 and hobbling for about a week afterwards!

BSEJVT
12-12-2020, 06:08 AM
As far as i remember he was skillful ,fast and tenacious. Last i seen him was nearly 50 years ago though so best i can remember, sorry.

Many thanks

Never saw Richard play but what I might have expected knowing him

DanishJohn
12-12-2020, 06:26 AM
A big pal of mine from years ago came from Magdalene and was signed by Hibs.
His name is Geoff Wood .Great guy although he was a Hearts man!

BSEJVT
12-12-2020, 09:24 AM
As someone said earlier great thread and it made me think back to the days where everyone in your neighbourhood pitched up at a certain place for a game and it was a cock and a hen to see what side you went on.

Decent spread of ages and it toughened you up playing with the big boys.

50 year later I still remember my amazement when chasing a ball through and the defender stepped over it and let it go out for a bye.

I had never seen that before and thought wow that guy is a player :-)

Great great days

Don't suppose things like that happen these days?

andudare2
12-12-2020, 12:13 PM
A big pal of mine from years ago came from Magdalene and was signed by Hibs.
His name is Geoff Wood .Great guy although he was a Hearts man!Geoff was quality m8,knew he had been at Hibs but not that he had signed,sure he was in same class as Gary Wood at Brunstane, Gary also trained with Hibs as youngster

Viva_Palmeiras
12-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Pinged a mate who’s a Villa fan he said he was one of his fave players and was there the day his leg was broken against West Brom. In a twist of fate he’d then go on to be mates with the son of the player that broke Crops leg.

eezyrider
12-12-2020, 01:08 PM
Sad to hear. He was one of my favourite players growing up..

EZ

Iggy Pope
12-12-2020, 01:42 PM
I remember Crops in his twilight years playing for Liberton Cropley

We got drawn against them in the Scottish and all the Jambos in our side were quick to tell everyone what they were going to do to him

Didn’t quite work out that way

He saw them coming last week and yes we lost and they were sorry laddies

Respect

:not worth

I was lucky enough to play alongside a lot of the Liberton Cropley guys when their Cambridge Utd Sunday side stuck a team into the Pitz 5s leagues around about 1989/90. Their club effectively used the pub as its base and they had won the Scottish (‘The Grouse’). We battered all comers they were all fine players just looking to keep playing. In the first couple of years Alex played a few games and it was something to play alongside him at close quarters even at 5s. His legs were older but his head wasn’t.

Bostonhibby
12-12-2020, 03:41 PM
Yip , top flat , 2/18 from memory I was 2/5 - those were great games to play in but I normally got emptied when the bigger lads were available - Tam Cropley was some player too - hard as nails - remember playing against him and Brian Droudge(sp?) 2/10 and hobbling for about a week afterwards!The spellings right. Brian was a guid player as well, more of a park grass one than the old back green 4 poles and gravel!

andudare2
12-12-2020, 04:28 PM
The spellings right. Brian was a guid player as well, more of a park grass one than the old back green 4 poles and gravel!

Big Droudgie could play, unit of a laddie as well!