PDA

View Full Version : Paulo Rossi

HoboHarry
10-12-2020, 01:55 AM
One for the older fans but I just read that he had passed away after a long illness. That game against Brazil is still one of the greatest I've ever seen. RIP Paulo.

Haymaker
10-12-2020, 02:57 AM
Yep. The whole story of him at that World Cup is awesome. 64 year old. Another legend of the game gone.

DarlingtonHibee
10-12-2020, 04:49 AM
Saw him play for juve at Villa Park, very elegant player. Rip

hibsbollah
10-12-2020, 05:41 AM
He’ll always be remembered for that semi final. What a game, remember this like it was yesterday. Italy’s first is one of the great all time team goals.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QgKf5nIRnp4

JimBHibees
10-12-2020, 05:45 AM
Brilliant footballer. Quite a controversial player also as was banned for match fixing just before his World Cup. Very young age. RIP Paulo

FilipinoHibs
10-12-2020, 06:28 AM
Brilliant footballer. Quite a controversial player also as was banned for match fixing just before his World Cup. Very young age. RIP Paulo

Yes my age! Heartbroken when Brasil went out. He was the arch poacher but could play a bit to. RiP Paulo.

BILLYHIBS
10-12-2020, 07:11 AM
Sad to read this

A real fox in the box

RIP

mjhibby
10-12-2020, 07:24 AM
One for the older fans but I just read that he had passed away after a long illness. That game against Brazil is still one of the greatest I've ever seen. RIP Paulo.

I’d say apart from a certain Saturday in May 2016 undoubtedly for me the best game of football I’ve watched closely followed by the 70 World Cup final.

superfurryhibby
10-12-2020, 08:00 AM
He’ll always be remembered for that semi final. What a game, remember this like it was yesterday. Italy’s first is one of the great all time team goals.

Superb quality of footballer on view there. I remember this game so well. The Brazilian team was awesome, full of creative players. Italy were also very good, with guys like Conte, Tardelli, Rossi and of course the defence with Gentile and Scirea . Rossi was an assassin, lethal in the box.

Seveno
10-12-2020, 11:54 AM

Thanks for that link and the chance to see the highlights of that wonderful game. So sad to hear about Rossi.

On another point, the Italian goalkeeper was the great Dino Zoff. I seem to recall him coming to ER with Napoli and picking the ball out of the net 5 times

loanheadhibby
10-12-2020, 12:01 PM
Yes my age! Heartbroken when Brasil went out. He was the arch poacher but could play a bit to. RiP Paulo.

I was exactly the same. I wanted Brazil to win as they had so many flamboyant players. Brazil were a dream to watch. But hats of to Italy. If I remember, I think Italy might just have scraped out their group at the World Cup. I am sure I read that Rossi was initially not going to be in the squad? Altho I was 10 at the time so might have got that wrong.

hibsbollah
10-12-2020, 12:28 PM
Thanks for that link and the chance to see the highlights of that wonderful game. So sad to hear about Rossi.

On another point, the Italian goalkeeper was the great Dino Zoff. I seem to recall him coming to ER with Napoli and picking the ball out of the net 5 times

Stunning save by him at the end there.

Renfrew_Hibby
10-12-2020, 01:39 PM
Just before my time, Mexico '86 was my footballing initiation, but i've seen highlights of this match before and seen a fair bit on Rossi, what a striker and my god that Brazil side was just delicious at times also.

The game was played at Espanyols old ground in the gentile west of Barcelona, not the largest of venues, especially for a match up of that calibre, but for my money the best venue of that world cup.

JeMeSouviens
10-12-2020, 02:46 PM

It was actually the last game of the 2nd group stage - Brazil only needed a draw. They were brilliant going forward but were practically chucking them in their own net at the other end. Best bit is Junior (#6 in this photo) claiming offside at the winner. :greengrin

https://i.ibb.co/yyQBH24/rossi.jpg

JeMeSouviens
10-12-2020, 02:48 PM
I was exactly the same. I wanted Brazil to win as they had so many flamboyant players. Brazil were a dream to watch. But hats of to Italy. If I remember, I think Italy might just have scraped out their group at the World Cup. I am sure I read that Rossi was initially not going to be in the squad? Altho I was 10 at the time so might have got that wrong.

He was just back from a ban for match fixing. I think it was a one year ban, he'd been out a long time anyway.

Lancs Harp
10-12-2020, 04:04 PM
Really saddened to hear of this, he had a great tournament and remember a lot of those matches like it was yesterday, Italy actually started the tournament very slowly drawing all three of their group games all of which were a little on the tedious side to say the least, they they went into a second group phase where they played truly epic matches against Argentina and Brazil and then beat Poland in the semi final where Rossi scored both of Italys goals to take Italy to the final where of course they went on to beat Germany, or West Germany to be exact at the time. one of my all time favourite world cups!

RIP Paulo and thanks for the memories

Mibbes Aye
10-12-2020, 04:22 PM
Nice piece in The Guardian by the always-accomplished Barney Ronay, to accompany the footage posted earlier

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/08/my-favourite-game-italy-v-brazil-1982-world-cup

For those of us watching it at the time it was magical, just in so many different ways.

Iggy Pope
10-12-2020, 06:20 PM
He was just back from a ban for match fixing. I think it was a one year ban, he'd been out a long time anyway.

Hadn’t he missed the previous Euros squad because of it? Iconic player written into World Cup folklore.

FilipinoHibs
10-12-2020, 11:42 PM

You are right. Italy drew their three group games when 2 points for a win, 1 point for a draw. His ban for match fixing was reduced from three years to two so he could play in world cup. The charges were against a group of players and the evidence against Paulo was quite tenuous. After Scotland was knocked out,Brazil was my team and my father's homeland.

heretoday
11-12-2020, 12:48 AM
That was a great world cup in 82.

vincipernoi
11-12-2020, 07:38 AM
That was a great world cup in 82.

I started watching that match supporting Brazil and had changed to italy by the second half. Italy have been my second team ever since and my three children all have italian nationality

Biggie
11-12-2020, 10:17 AM
Remember it well....and I was spewing as I'd drawn Brazil in the work sweepstake...
Couldn't believe it.

Won't hold that against the lad, 64 ?!...its not enough is it.

kaimendhibs
11-12-2020, 06:03 PM
Another legend gone[emoji26] Far too young.
RIP

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

pollution
11-12-2020, 08:42 PM
He won free shoes for life for being the top scorer, if I remember correctly.

What strange little things stick in one's mind after 38 years.

Hibernia&Alba
12-12-2020, 06:59 PM
It was actually the last game of the 2nd group stage - Brazil only needed a draw. They were brilliant going forward but were practically chucking them in their own net at the other end. Best bit is Junior (#6 in this photo) claiming offside at the winner. :greengrin

https://i.ibb.co/yyQBH24/rossi.jpg

He's miles off :greengrin:greengrin