PDA

View Full Version : What do other teams fear about Hibs?

vercol36
09-12-2020, 10:14 AM
To all intents and purposes, it's been a bit of a mixed season - some swashbuckling displays have been tempered by some absolute dirges. Nevertheless, we now sit third place, and only two points behind Celtic. So there must be something about us that works!

With this in mind, what do you reckon opposition teams fear about us?

What's that first thought that enter a player's mind when they see that Hibs are next on the fixtures lists?

Personally I feel that, despite some poor performances this season, most teams must be very wary of facing Martin Boyle. Add to that Nisbet's eye for goal, Doidge's constant threat and the presence of Rocky between the posts. And is there perhaps a feeling by opposition teams that the Hibs defence is looking strong this year?

What's yer thoughts? And do you have non-Hibs mates who have expressed an opinion about the Hibs team this year?

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2020, 10:19 AM
Martin Boyle on a going day would terrify the best defences in the league just needs to get his mojo back

Took his goal well on Saturday and was unlucky on a few occasions but needs to get back to putting on the after burners and showing defences a clean pair of heels and laying on chances for others

Speed kills in this League

Jones28
09-12-2020, 10:20 AM
Based on the evidence I would worry about Jack Ross’s tactical analysis at half time that sees us stronger in the second half.

The individual players you mention too and we are definitely more comfortable in defence.

makaveli1875
09-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Weve got 2/3rds of the Super McGinn trio

Pagan Hibernia
09-12-2020, 10:45 AM
They fear us because we’re the sexiest club in Scotland.

Keith_M
09-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Martin Boyle is clearly a known threat, as he must be one of the most fouled players in Scotland.

Since452
09-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Angry posters on Hibs.net

ABZHFC
09-12-2020, 11:36 AM
The fact we've scored the most and conceded the least out of the ten non-Old Firm clubs

Vault Boy
09-12-2020, 11:41 AM
They'll definitely be cautious about our front line, as highlighted in the OP. Hibs, even when they've built poor teams, usually have one or two attackers that can really change a game on their own. The last time I remember us not having one, we got relegated. :greengrin

No striker wants to go up against Porteous, Hanlon, and Ofir as a defensive core either. As much as all three have had the occasional off moment (who hasn't?) - they generally get the best of their attacker, providing a tough physical and technical challenge.

Conversely, I think teams in general won't be all that frightened of our central midfield right now, however that hasn't stopped Joe Newell from bossing quite a few matches to date.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2020, 11:49 AM
Definitely not been a mixed season. Far more positive than negative. We're 3rd.

WhileTheChief..
09-12-2020, 11:55 AM
Nisbet possibly but don’t see opponents fearing anyone else individually.

Bostonhibby
09-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Seagulls

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
09-12-2020, 12:02 PM
My guess would either 1 of 2 things and this btw isn't a criticism:

1) that our counteroffensive play clicks against them and that we take a greater percentage of the chances we create than we usually do

and

2) that they don't have enough quality to make use of the amount of the ball we concede to them.

It suits us to play on the counter which is why we often look better away, we have enough pace and ability to do so and that is with firstly Boyle and latterly Nisbet being off the boil and Doidge / Murphy struggling for fitness.

Intrinsically I don't like to see us giving up so much possession and it makes me anxious but that semi final apart it is hard to argue that it is not working.

When we struggle is when teams sit in and there is no room to play in.

Shrekko
09-12-2020, 12:02 PM
Nisbet possibly but don’t see opponents fearing anyone else individually.

Pretty sure you’re wrong.

You certainly wouldn’t think this was a 3rd placed teams message board. I wonder if the players find the fans ‘boring’.

Hibernian Verse
09-12-2020, 12:05 PM

You certainly wouldn’t think this was a 3rd placed teams message board. I wonder if the players find the fans ‘boring’.

I'd be worried about giving Newell more than a second on the ball.

matty_f
09-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Good OP (might chore this as a Shortbangers question for tomorrow's podcast!).

I think teams would be weary of the forwards we have - Boyle and Murphy in the wide areas and then Nisbet and Doidge central, mainly because of the pace we can attack at but also because they're difficult to categorise - neither Doidge or Nisbet are target men, really, and while Doidge is most prolific from inside the box, his work outside the box is phenomenal. Nisbet can score all sorts of goals, and between the 4 of them, Hibs have the versatility to change shape very quickly.

Bostonhibby
09-12-2020, 12:07 PM

You certainly wouldn’t think this was a 3rd placed teams message board. I wonder if the players find the fans ‘boring’.I actually think we've got some pretty good attacking options and as Ross has shown, the ability to switch it around, we're weaker in midfield than I'd like but otherwise we do possess a threat, just need to get better at killing off games. Like at motherwell.

The 90+2
09-12-2020, 12:13 PM
Mrs McGinn Snr.

MyJo
09-12-2020, 12:20 PM
They fear Boyle which is why he is so relentlessly marked and fouled by defenders. If they have any sense they will fear Murphy in the same way.

They should also fear Nisbet, deadly finisher, runs himself into the ground every game, not afraid to get stuck in and can strike a decent free-kick. I think there has probably been an element of the unknown in Kev so far in that nobody knew how he was going to handle the step up in level but it’s now pretty obvious he’s a big problem for opposition teams.

And then there always the concern that Gogic or Porteous are going to boot you into the stands if you dare try and go past them :greengrin

calumhibee1
09-12-2020, 12:24 PM
Definitely not been a mixed season. Far more positive than negative. We're 3rd.

It doesn’t need to be an even split to be a mixed season though.

We’re doing fairly well in general but there’s been some disappointing results with one absolute shocker. I’d say that adds up to a mixed season.

lyonhibs
09-12-2020, 12:32 PM
Probably they fear the fact that when we're good, we can be very good. As alluded to in the OP, on the other hand when we're bad, we can be very bad.

The 90+2
09-12-2020, 12:33 PM
It doesn’t need to be an even split to be a mixed season though.

We’re doing fairly well in general but there’s been some disappointing results with one absolute shocker. I’d say that adds up to a mixed season.

Completely agree. The Semi final is the difference though between an average season and a quality season, unfortunately.

HFC93
09-12-2020, 12:48 PM
I think we have strong attacking options and goals across the team. We've always got a goal or two in us.

KingPat4
09-12-2020, 12:57 PM
Martin Boyle.

Keith_M
09-12-2020, 12:58 PM
Completely agree. The Semi final is the difference though between an average season and a quality season, unfortunately.

We still have the league and two cup competitions to compete in.

Contrary to popular opinion, losing that semi-final didn't end our season

vercol36
09-12-2020, 01:04 PM
Good OP (might chore this as a Shortbangers question for tomorrow's podcast!).

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Onceinawhile
09-12-2020, 01:05 PM

Yes it did.

It literally ended our 2019/20 season.

This season though? No chance.

easty
09-12-2020, 01:07 PM

Last seasons semi final.

This season we’ve still got 2 cups to play for.

danhibees1875
09-12-2020, 01:16 PM
Martin Boyle is probably the most likely answer in terms of fear. He's definitely going to be the hardest to deal with out of our attacking threats.

Radge70
09-12-2020, 01:23 PM
Seagulls

With the exception of Aberdeen who normally beat us

Scott Allan Key
09-12-2020, 01:27 PM
They fear us because we’re the sexiest club in Scotland.Do we practice unsafe sex?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Magpie
09-12-2020, 01:28 PM
Easter Road used to be a place where teams used to enjoy coming as the fans would be on the players back if things weren’t going our way. I’d like to think that has changed in the last 5 years or so.

The 90+2
09-12-2020, 01:29 PM

I said we have had an average season because of it. Not an end of season, regardless of how devastating it was.

The 90+2
09-12-2020, 01:29 PM
Do we practice unsafe sex?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

No we wear a face mask.

vercol36
09-12-2020, 01:32 PM
I think we have strong attacking options and goals across the team. We've always got a goal or two in us.

Interesting point, HFC93. Just taking a look at goalscorer distribution there. Here are the stats for Hibs this season (league goals only). I suppose the key figure here is the amount of goal-scorers, but have also shown this in comparison to number of goals in case anyone is interested:

TOTAL GOALS: 24
Goal-scorers: 10
Average: 2.4 goals per goal-scorer

Paul Hanlon 1
Drey Wright 1
Joe Newell 1
Stevie Mallan 1
Stephen McGinn 1
Jamie Murphy 1
Paul McGinn 2
Martin Boyle 4
Christian Doidge 4
Kevin Nisbet 8

Compare that to Aberdeen:

TOTAL GOALS: 21
Goal-scorers: 9
Average: 2.3

Sam Cosgrove 1
Tommie Hoban 1
Ross McCrorie 1
Jonny Hayes 1
Ryan Hedges 3
Scott Wright 2
Ryan Edmondson 2
Marley Watkins 2
Lewis Ferguson 8

And Celtic:

TOTAL GOALS: 35
Goal-scorers: 14
Average: 2.5

Jeremie Frimpong 1
Kristoffer Ajer 1
Diego Laxalt 1
Oliver Ntcham 1
Christopher Jullien 1
Shane Duffy 2
James Forrest 2
Leigh Griffiths 2
Callum McGregor 3
Patryk Klimala 3
Ryan Christie 3
Albian Ajeti 5
Odsonne Edoaurd 5
Mohamed Elyounoussi 5

HFC93
09-12-2020, 02:19 PM

This is a strange spin on things when we still have so much to play for including a very winnable quarter final coming up.

LancsHibs
09-12-2020, 02:25 PM
Ccs

Pagan Hibernia
09-12-2020, 02:31 PM
The Easter road pies. The one positive to come out of the pandemic is that no human being has been subjected to those in the last 9 months

The 90+2
09-12-2020, 02:45 PM
This is a strange spin on things when we still have so much to play for including a very winnable quarter final coming up.

So far.

Why would I want to spin things either? If we won the semi and had the final next week the season so far would be quality. We lost to them so it’s average.

The 90+2
09-12-2020, 02:47 PM
The Easter road pies. The one positive to come out of the pandemic is that no human being has been subjected to those in the last 9 months

I miss them tbh.

SaulGoodman
09-12-2020, 02:50 PM
Unpredictability.

gbhibby
09-12-2020, 03:50 PM
A Scott Allan pass
Martin Boyle's pace
Jack Ross's sartorial elegance.

Bostonhibby
09-12-2020, 04:35 PM
With the exception of Aberdeen who normally beat us[emoji16]

They beat us to the biggest meanest seagulls.Typical McInnes

danhibees1875
09-12-2020, 04:41 PM

They've been sitting in the cupboard maturing since March.

They'll slap an extra 20p on them and call them dry-aged.

Topographic Hibby
09-12-2020, 04:43 PM
Crossing the Bridge of Doom...

Twice!!

spike220
09-12-2020, 05:31 PM
We are missing a wee radge that can be deployed strategically when needed imho. Gary Deegan for all his other shortcomings was the last one we had. Nobody would come within a mile of him he toughened us up at a time we badly needed it.

basehibby
09-12-2020, 05:57 PM
To all intents and purposes, it's been a bit of a mixed season - some swashbuckling displays have been tempered by some absolute dirges. Nevertheless, we now sit third place, and only two points behind Celtic. So there must be something about us that works!

With this in mind, what do you reckon opposition teams fear about us?

What's that first thought that enter a player's mind when they see that Hibs are next on the fixtures lists?

Personally I feel that, despite some poor performances this season, most teams must be very wary of facing Martin Boyle. Add to that Nisbet's eye for goal, Doidge's constant threat and the presence of Rocky between the posts. And is there perhaps a feeling by opposition teams that the Hibs defence is looking strong this year?

What's yer thoughts? And do you have non-Hibs mates who have expressed an opinion about the Hibs team this year?

I would imagine they are wary of the genuine pace of Boyle and Murphy and the undoubted goal threat of Nisbet and Doidge. Allied to that there is a solid and settled back line capable of soaking up some pressure.
So we are a team very capable of punishing other sides on the break and I'm sure all the SPL managers will be acutely aware of that.

Mates have commented that Hibs are an entertaining side to watch - usually trying to play good football and always capable of goals.

basehibby
09-12-2020, 06:06 PM
I'd be worried about giving Newell more than a second on the ball.

Newell has been without a doubt our best midfielder this season so far so can only conclude that you worry too much.

Sammy7nil
09-12-2020, 06:33 PM
Nothing - Hibs do not strike fear in to any team respect perhaps but there is nothing to fear playing this Hibs team. Easily proved by our semi final performance.

The Spaceman
09-12-2020, 06:46 PM
If I was looking at an opposition lining up against us, I wold be terrified of Boyle or Nisbet. Scott Allan too or Stevie Mallan for his long shots.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2020, 07:40 PM
Nothing - Hibs do not strike fear in to any team respect perhaps but there is nothing to fear playing this Hibs team. Easily proved by our semi final performance.

I'd say the teams we've beaten easily this season might fear us.

Andy74
09-12-2020, 07:51 PM
Newell has been without a doubt our best midfielder this season so far so can only conclude that you worry too much.

Is that not his point?

Andy74
09-12-2020, 07:51 PM

Oh dear.

hibee316
09-12-2020, 07:52 PM

Glass half empty kinda guy eh?

Sammy7nil
09-12-2020, 09:33 PM
Glass half empty kinda guy eh?

If you like but I prefer to think honest. Did St Johnstone look scared even the 3-0 win over Motherwell don’t think they feared us. We are a decent team who blow hot and cold. Other teams respect us but certainly don’t fear us. Just my opinion others will have theirs that is what a forum is all about.

Shrekko
09-12-2020, 10:16 PM
If you like but I prefer to think honest. Did St Johnstone look scared even the 3-0 win over Motherwell don’t think they feared us. We are a decent team who blow hot and cold. Other teams respect us but certainly don’t fear us. Just my opinion others will have theirs that is what a forum is all about.

I don't think any team outside the Old Firm will ever be 'feared' by the other teams in the league but we have plenty attributes that opponents are wary of. You don't see many teams trying to impose themselves on us and quite often it's us who produce the rare moments of quality in games. Boyle, Nisbet, Murphy, Doidge, and even Gullan are all attacking players capable of doing very good things.

I don't think Hibs fear many opponents- that's for sure.

Phil MaGlass
10-12-2020, 07:08 AM
Im with Sammy7nil on this, we do have the players who could inflict fear,but, they dont do it consistently, Boyle for starters, hot and cold, Gullan, no enough experience, I love Nisbett and Doidge, but again, not consistently enough. As for the semi, speaks volumes about the team IMO. The sooner I can get that game oot ma heid the better.
If we can play a good full 90 minutes and not just 45 minutes, then, I believe more teams will have the feeling of apprehension when facing us.

Phil MaGlass
10-12-2020, 07:11 AM
Oh and as an aside, maybe we could start a campaign for more positivity from our fans when we eventually get back to supporting the team at ER. Im also a wee bit guilty of negativity.
Get behind them, not on top of them..

Sammy7nil
10-12-2020, 07:44 AM
Oh and as an aside, maybe we could start a campaign for more positivity from our fans when we eventually get back to supporting the team at ER. Im also a wee bit guilty of negativity.
Get behind them, not on top of them..

Agree always support the team there is no point getting on their case it never helps. However there is no harm in being realistic when discussing Hibs with other Hibs fans.

Fergus52
10-12-2020, 08:02 AM
We are missing a wee radge that can be deployed strategically when needed imho. Gary Deegan for all his other shortcomings was the last one we had. Nobody would come within a mile of him he toughened us up at a time we badly needed it.

gogic??

Keith_M
10-12-2020, 08:07 AM

Somebody get this guy some tissues

:boo hoo:

superfurryhibby
10-12-2020, 08:12 AM
I don't think any team outside the Old Firm will ever be 'feared' by the other teams in the league but we have plenty attributes that opponents are wary of. You don't see many teams trying to impose themselves on us and quite often it's us who produce the rare moments of quality in games. Boyle, Nisbet, Murphy, Doidge, and even Gullan are all attacking players capable of doing very good things.

I don't think Hibs fear many opponents- that's for sure.

Good points. Many teams in our league deploy containment and counter attacking tactics against us. Score first, defend in depth and time waste from whenever that occurs. It’s a dire footballing recipe and makes our game boring as **** to watch.

As you say teams aren’t going out and thinking we could take a right tanking from Hibs ( or Aberdeen), whereas they might fear that v Rangers or Celtic, because it’s more likely to happen.

Maybe fear takes away the fear of being feart.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-12-2020, 08:26 AM

Shocking they (afaik) didn’t catch the boy (Hibbie too according to some - so someone would appear to know summit) who chinned him and broke his jaw.

Alfred E Newman
10-12-2020, 08:49 AM
Not being gifted a late equaliser or winner.

Jones28
10-12-2020, 09:22 AM
Shocking they (afaik) didn’t catch the boy (Hibbie too according to some - so someone would appear to know summit) who chinned him and broke his jaw.

He was never the same after that incident. Awful to think that it happened on George Street and they still couldn't catch the ****er on CCTV.

Northernhibee
10-12-2020, 09:24 AM
Skill out wide in Murphy and Boyle who will punish and full backs caught forward, aerial presence and strength up front, an experienced and settled defensive unit who have played together for years.

Also tactical flexibility - this season we’ve played with three or for at the back, two or three in central midfield and one or two up front. Other teams have to be able to adapt quickly as that’s something we do very well.

There’s also a reason why opposition players close Stevie Malian down so quickly too.

superfurryhibby
10-12-2020, 09:36 AM

He was never the same after that incident. Awful to think that it happened on George Street and they still couldn't catch the ****er on CCTV.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-20698132

He was certainly charged with assault. As for conviction, not sure.

Sammy7nil
10-12-2020, 06:01 PM
Somebody get this guy some tissues

:boo hoo:

Do you need your slavers wiped :greengrin:wink:
Use your sleeves mate :aok:

Northernhibee
12-12-2020, 03:34 PM
This. Forced them to avoid parking the bus early doors and picked them apart.

Nevi_SOL
12-12-2020, 06:33 PM
The East stand tannoy working.

heretoday
13-12-2020, 12:45 PM
Negotiating the swings and roundabouts.

Alfred E Newman
13-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Negotiating the swings and roundabouts.

Pity its not a level playing field.